August 2018- Monthly Challenge – Summer Sun

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
August 2018- Monthly Challenge – Summer Sun

This topic contains 880 replies, has 61 voices, and was last updated by  mishty 5 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 501 through 550 (of 883 total)

• Day 14 Stevensville Maryland USA CNFD

At @at I hear you, I pulled out of maintenance this month as my 1 to 3 pound fluctuation went up to 2 to 4 pound fluctuation. My goal is to lose at least 2 pounds this month. I did quit smoking July 7th and I am concerned that I will gain so trying hard to be mindful of what I eat.

Have a terrific Tuesday everyone.

Day 14 USA (Utah visiting) NFD

Very happy I managed better than just a CD yesterday with right about 650 calories. I’ll call that a FD. Now just to make sure my DAFD isn’t a disaster. Doing fine, though, but not quite as much exercise as I ought since I’m doing a fair amount of child care. Granddaughters are 13 & 10, so don’t need much minding!

Onward and downward.

Day 14 – USA – NFD

@diana123, congrats on quitting smoking…it was one of the hardest things I ever had to do in my life…I tried and failed many times, but I kept using the Nicoderm patches, but not a whole patch at one time. I’d cut them into pieces and slap them on first thing in the a.m. Kept cutting them smaller and smaller until I was free. Keep it up, you’ll never regret it!

@daffodil2010, congrats on your first day back in the corporate world! I sometimes wish I could go back too, but I guess it’s not meant to be no matter how many interviews I ace at 64! Wondering if you just had the heebie jeebies and your bowels were shaky or maybe pre-menopause? That’s a good explanation for TOM coming in between periods.

I ordered Ancient Flakes MO flakes and made my own spray bottle and leave it near the bed. Been sleeping wonderfully after spritzing on the soles of my feet at night with no tingling or feeling greasy, but I do wear light socks with it just in case it gets drippy.

SongBirdMe, would love some tips from you and AT about maintenance. Is there another thread you participate in on this site?

Day 14 Wales 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 NFD

Successful FD yesterday and feeling good. Happy Tuesday everyone 😊

Day 14 North Wales FD

Having to do my fast day today as I couldn’t do it yesterday. Spent the day in Chester with my sister. Finally going to be spending a few weeks at home 🏠 Have a good day everyone x

Day 14, UK, FD

I hope everyone’s well. My FD plans were scuppered yesterday, so i’m doing a proper fast today. Things are a bit full-on this end, currently juggling my job and a big MSc dissertation write up plus lots of other bits in general ‘life’ so not getting a lot of time to post. I am so grateful for being a part of this thread though, because I think it would’ve been all too easy to have given up on 5:2 without it. 🙂

Hopefully I’ll actually find some more time to post more over the coming days!!

Have a good day, all x

Day 14 – Ireland – NFD

Day 14, Rocky Mountains, US, NFD

Day 14 UK CD

Successful WFD yesterday – yay 🙂 Drank c3.5l water, one cup of hot vegemite and 50g banana to accompany evening medication. Who knew i’d find it so much easier to have WFD than 500g FD days?! It could be just that my brain likes to mix it up a bit, but there’s something about not eating at all that seems to click for me. I was definitely hungry by bedtime but managed to keep my brain on track.

Just broken my fast with small salad – tomatoes, avocado, beetroot and cucumber – plus a little left over veggie mince. Feeling really full now, as tho I never want to eat again. I had this last week as well, and took me a couple of days to get back into eating.

@shinything When Lush stopped making British Nanny I couldn’t find anything else that worked with my very dry and very sensitive skin. So I listed out the Lush ingredients, started experimenting and haven’t looked back. Now I make all my own face cream, plus my DD’s night cream and hand creams, dry skin treatments for friends with eczema etc. (And bath salts, body or foot scrubs etc. Just beginning to think about bath/body oils..)

Generally my approach is “I like this – I wonder how it’s made?” I make almost all my Christmas & birthday presents – I began bc it’s so much cheaper, and have continued bc it works. Just thinking about drying herbs to make teas and which herbs to grow to add to creams or bath salts. I guess I’ve become a real witch 😀

@merryapple congratulations on breaking that barrier 🙂
    @beedoo me too with the dahl recipe please 🙂

@rainbowsmile thank you, yes I had a lovely evening doing lovely things 🙂 Harvested & tied lavender, made some moisturiser and mixed dry ingredients for bread ready to bake this morning. Beginning to enjoy life again after 6wks illness, tho still breathless. GP phone apt this evening to see if I need another check up or just keep going as I am… V glad you are feeling better after your epic sleep 🙂

@diana123 many congratulations on stopping smoking!! I stopped 5.5 years ago and it’s still the single best thing I’ve ever done. You have all the good habits you’ve used here so will be ahead of the curve with this 🙂

@daffodil2010 yes, still feeding the birds! I have a v wild garden with lots of residents/daily visitors all year round, inc dunnocks, tits, robins, blackbirds, wrens, woodpigeons and a whole flock of sparrows. It was as much as I could do in the heatwave to keep up with refilling the water bowls, and I got some lovely videos of various birds bathing. I love this time of year because the sparrows flock together, moving between the seed feeders, hunting on the ground for insects and browsing hedgerows for berries. It’s doubly precious because I know the weaker ones will have short lives, getting left behind as the competition for food grows. But just for now there are around 60. I love listening to them tweeting in the hedgerow and the sound of sparrows’ wings – esp the dash for cover when feeding is interrupted. That’s me off on birds and gardens too 😀

This afternoon my friend and I picked 2.3kg blackberries from my garden and foraged 3kg apples from local trees. My freezer is already full of berries so I’ve had an emergency trip to the supermarket to top up on vinegar and onions, now to make some blackberry shrub and a first chutney, with another to follow tomorrow…. Amazing what’s possible when you’re on holiday at home 🙂

Day 14, Idaho, USA. FD

I am considering switching back to the standard 5:2. Once I got off track with my M-F warrior plan I started to fall down the rabbit hole. Trying to decide if I’m going to force myself to snap out of it, or if I’m going to go ahead and switch over.

I had my physical today. Everything with immediate results checked out well. All in the healthy range. I have to wait on my blood test results. I did realize in talking with my Doctor though, that emotionally I’ve been spiraling more since I started the 4 hour window July 30th. A personal trainer friend said that IF isn’t good for women because it messes with our hormones. It seems like there are enough of us here on the forum that I tossed that aside as the opinion of one who was trained differently, however, I wonder if some forms are harder on the body than others. I did a 3 day WF in April, and was just fine, other than some physical illness that I now realize was my body needing salt. And I’ve done 5:2 as written off and on for over a year with nothing going off balance, and some of you much longer…. Well, I’ll continue to process this thought and decide soon.

@merryapple – huge congratulations. New clothes are a great way for people to notice a big loss! Way to stay strong and focused and cheery even when you aren’t getting feedback.

@emma Taylor – what is hindering breathing in Rome? Would love some thunderstorms here – or just plain rain. So much smoke, so many fires.

@catch87 – Welcome back! It’s always a step in the right direction to start to self-care again. Good job making that decision.

@diana123 – Congratulations on quitting smoking! What a huge win! And while I’m sure you don’t love the extra pound or two fluctuation that is a very small gain, and I am confident that you will be able to get right back to maintaining! So encouraged to hear that you made a step towards better health. There is definitely a domino effect that happens when we work hard to achieve improvement in one area of life, we become empowered to take other steps as well. Thank you for sharing!

Day 14 pocket list so far:

@ccco
    @flourbaby (b2b2b)
    @rainbowsmile
    @catch87
    @molij
    @babs_b
    @foodfreedomgirl

Second post …

@beedoo well done on maintaing 💃, I hope I reach that stage some time in a near future 🙂

@catch87 welcome back 😀 , of course you can re-join the challenge, we are here to help and encourage each other 🙂

@diana123 well done on quitting smoking, great decision 😀 , and that comes for an ex hard core smoker. It will be 2 years for me next month, best thing I’ve done for myself :). I never look back now. Keep it up, we cheer you on 😀

@babs_b I hear you on that full on thing, same here, its been a really busy couple of weeks for me all around, but hopefully I will have some free time now, and like you, I find this place to be my rock 🙂

@michelinme I’m impressed 🙂 , I’d like to make my own creams, actually shampoos/conditioners as I like the idea of knowing all the ingredients that go in the product, but I wouldn’t know where to start 😳. And wow, what a variety of birds you have in your garden, very lucky 😀 . I love sparrows too, they are so cute and social too, and I know what you mean about the sound of the wings when they take off all at once, love it. I love that about starlings as well, the sound of them chattering for hours sitting all together in the tree, so gentle and lovely 😍
    *Note to self: don’t go on about birds…

@foodfreedomgirl I think its all about finding what suits you personally. We are all different and different things work better for each of us, so when you try few and find what works for you, stick with it 🙂

Day 14, CFD, US

good catching up on all your news.

Day 14 – Florida

NFD today. Did really good on my FD, 435 calories. Trying to be good before we leave for our trip.
    Did exercises this afternoon. Not much is going on. Being lazy.

Hope everyone has a good day.

Day 14 UK NFD

Just checking in. I am ridiculously tired today *yawn* 😴

Off to bed I go. Night night everyone.

Day 14 – Eastern WA USA- NFD (still in BC)

Keeping to 16:8 pretty much even though my dad asks every morning if I won’t join him for breakfast. I tell him I’ll sip coffee with him while he eats. Planning to go spend time with my mom & feed her her supper later today. She is pleasant & eating a portion of her meals. Before I got here, she had sometimes refused to eat. We’re working on getting her a placement with a greater degree of support. It’s more than my dad can handle.

@daffodil2010 – hopefully you’re feeling better & your stomach is settling down so you can enjoy your new job.

@metatauta – I’m a little jealous of all this talk of maintenance. I am so glad for maintainers who stick with these challenges. It gives me hope.

Day 14 – UK – CD

Completed yesterday’s FD (2nd of B2B) at around 600cals and today was a very good CD – very happy with that!

Lovely day out with DD and she found both a dress and shoes for her wedding – dress will need some minor alterations and a local seamstress is on the job – wedding is 5 weeks today! We had a lovely day today sorting all that out and enjoyed a light lunch out together which broke my B2B FDs

This evening OH and I went to a High Impact Pilates class together and a light supper followed – total of 1100cals consumed – in order to stop any late night snacking I have logged on here to read the posts and find the motivation to ensure that the kitchen door remains firmly closed……

@beedoo – how lovely to wear that figure skimming black dress last week and to receive so many compliments 💃
    @rainbowsmile – sorry to read the after effects of your 10 x WFD hope it does not last long and you bounce back soon x
    @jaifaim – has anyone suggested some sleep studies for you? https://sleepfoundation.org/excessivesleepiness/content/how-does-sleep-study-work
    @michelinme – impressed at how industrious you are – making your own lavender moisturiser and creams and now chutneys and blackberry shrub (new one for me that – I had to look it up! sounds very refreshing!)
    @daffodil2010 – sounds like a perfect first day at work and how wonderful to feel so supported and to top it all a successful FD too!!!
    @merryapple – congratulations on breaking that 80kg barrier and well done on the 11.6kg loss since mid January 👍
    @lilymartin – so glad your gut issues was not bowel cancer – great news!
    @catch87 – of course you can hop right back into the challenges – pulling you on board that 5:2 wagon of the August 2018- Monthly Challenge – Summer Sun
    @diana123 – well done on giving up smoking and staying mindful x
    @metatauta – there is a maintenance thread which I joined when I first reached maintenance but personally I have found the monthly challenges the most beneficial – the most important piece of advice I can give you is that you have to remain vigilant in maintenance – I give myself a 3kg range and never let my weight creep up past the top of that range and I remind myself “If i quit now, I will soon be back to where iI started. and when I started, I was desperately wishing to be where I am now”
    @babs_b – don’t give up on this WOL – this is something that you do for yourself and no one else – a bit of self love goes a long way ❤️
    @foodfreedomgirl – I have been doing 5:2 since January 2016 and have been in maintenance since December 2016 – I have settled onto a 16:8/14:10 daily eating pattern (only because I have never enjoyed an early breakfast and never wake up feeling hungry) and I still do 1 or 2 FDs each week – I usually do 300-600cal FDs but I have done the odd WFD – I can truthfully say that I have never had any ill effects from following this WOL and my health markers have all improved each year and I feel full of energy and loving my life as a slim 60 y.o! As others have said it is about finding what works for you and is doable as a permanent WOL!

Looking forward to a restorative yoga class tomorrow morning and then having my hair cut and coloured tomorrow afternoon – the weather man says we are in for a wet Wednesday in Cumbria ☔️ to the ready it is then…….

Thank you all for helping me keep that kitchen door firmly closed and I can end today on a great CD 😇 Right off to have a shower and then bed time as I’m feeling a bit 😴

Hi. It’s just the heat in Rome that makes it hard to breathe! I’ve been here before in August. I just forgot how bloomin’ hot it is. Anyway, it’s thundering and lightening and raining, so the air is clearer. Phew. Scorchio. H

USA Day 14 NFD
    Just checking in, although late!
    Today was a successful NFD coming in a little over 900 calories,, well below my TDEE. Tomorrow will be a 24 hour water FD. I think I will stay with 24 hour period for water fasts. I handle them better. I was disappointed in that I only lost 2 lbs. on my 3 day water fast but quickly put it right back on. I don’t have a lot of weight to lose but it seems to be particularly hard. I think more slowly will serve me better and when I do a 24 hour water fast, I feel less bloated and have more energy. Hope everyone had a great day!

Day 15 Auckland

Thanks team for all your supportive comments!
    @dycask I still have a way to go before my 6 pack appears. Now that will be a shock…!
    Adding to the nut commentary I saw an interesting evaluation in regards to eating almonds on a British TV programme. Apparently almonds have a high energy rating but their oil is trapped in cells. When people chew them they don’t break down the cellwslls very effectively so don’t get the full energy hit.
    @michelinme Love hearing about your potions. We have a big garden with lots of trees which is home to our feathered friends. Macintosh is bird adverse so ignores them and chases off the cats on their behalf.
    I heard on the radio this morning that the nthern hemisphere has another 4 years of the African hot air cycle… Stay cool…

Onward and downward!

Day 15 – Japan – NFD 77.8kg

Strange problem, I have more belly fat on my right side than on my left side. Probably always been that way, I’m just getting down far enough to easily see/feel the difference. Still hides my abs @merryapple.

Day 15 – Ireland 🇮🇪 – NFD

Great 2nd day in the new job, getting to grips with the tasks, getting through the workload faster and more efficiently…very happy. However there is a great coffee machine there and yesterday, instead of my usual black, I had a cappuccino at 10am, and I had a mocha at lunch. Was going to have a flat white (just because I could) in the afternoon but didn’t…..however somebody put a lemon drizzle Kit Kat on my desk and I did eat that!! Must be careful! I don’t want to pile on weight…..Sedentary job etc

@michelinme and @shinything I love hearing about your birds, it makes me feel so happy to know that little generations of birds are growing up around our feeders. I was shocked when they cut down the trees where the starlings were nesting a few years ago. It had nothing to do with the starlings, in fact, I doubt the owner of the field/trees nor the local Tidy Town committee (who asked him to cut down the trees) either knew or worse, cared, about the starlings. The trees were cut down as there had been fancy new street lights put up at the entrance to the village and the branches of the trees were blocking the view of the fancy light. 😨

Oh well. I am constantly amazed how local farmers and others don’t seem to give a toss about local wildlife 😡

@diana123 Go you for stopping smoking, nearly 5 weeks now. I was a major hard core, at least 30 a day, smoker….even lighting up in bed first thing in the morning 😱 I did the Alan Carr Easyway to stop smoking and have been free since 16th February 2002. Best decision health wise anyone can do.

Right, talk soon my friends

Day 15 – Ireland – FD

Hi all, relatively CD yesterday and a nice spin last night of 50km. It was a very balmy night so great to be out and about..
    Thanks @at for your suggestion, funnily enough I have just been referred to a sleep clinic…very excited to see how that goes!although not sure about wearing a CPAP mask. 🤔

@merryapple that’s interesting re: almonds… I love all nuts and they would be my snack of choice…

Wishing you all a good day!
    Onward and downard…

Pocket list:
    @jaifaim

Day 15, Newcastle UK, FD

Day 15, Amsterdam – CFD

Day 15, Amsterdam – CFD

Thank you for the welcome back! Super happy to be back online, feeling v inspired. I have been gradually upping the exercise back to normal and this week have done hot yoga on Monday, went for a light jog (2.8km in 16 minutes – not the best!) last night with the man, and tonight going back to hot yoga. Tomorrow I will take a day off and then Friday to the gym for a class! Really need to cleanse my system after a very fun summer.

My best friend lost about 8kg 7 years ago (she’s now a lovely 56kg), and after having her stay this weekend, I’ve discovered she doesn’t eat breakfast and eats healthily (but a lot). The no breakfast thing I really find does work for me – I keep off the weight if I do that. It’s a struggle sometimes, as I love breakfast food! But it’s worth it in the end.

Good luck today everyone 🙂 xx

Day 15, UK, NFD

Morning all! I managed a FD yesterday and I am so pleased.

@at thank you for your words of encouragement. Don’t worry, I’m not giving up on this WOL – just a little third week wobble back there. I remember that happening last time too, so it shouldn’t have really come as much surprise, I suppose! 🙂

@daffodil2010 I know all too well about the perils of a sedentary job. We have a Nespresso machine here and instead of just doing myself an espresso and topping it up with hot water, I’ll always have frothed milk! Still, I only have skimmed milk so at least the cals are a bit lower.

@diana123 HUGE well done on giving up smoking. I’m also an ex-smoker, I gave up over 5 years ago now and I am so pleased I did. It’s funny though, I didn’t have all the big revelations of suddenly being able to smell or taste things better – like all the leaflets etc say. However, I did start noticing how my stamina improved for things like walking or exercise within a week or two even. But the best bit for me was my clothes no longer smelling…. I remember the first time I went to a friend’s (non-smoking) house and realised I could smell my perfume & fabric conditioner, rather than a whiff of smoke on my clothes. I suddenly felt sparkly & fresh lol. 🙂

Have a good day all! x

Day 15 London UK FD

I was tempted not to log in this morning as I ate like a maniac yesterday and felt guilty! Isn’t it strange how part of our mind thinks if we don’t acknowledge it we can pretend it didn’t happen?! I had a couple of G&Ts on Monday night and as it was the end of the FD they went straight to my head and resulted in a hangover yesterday. I mean, it felt like I had been out drinking until 3am! So I ate a lot yesterday, nothing “bad” or processed but just A LOT!

Started off really well making a fruit salad for breakfast.

For lunch I had a Leon meatfree meatball dish – Aubergine, black olive & rosemary meatballs with brown rice, chopped mint & parsley, linseeds, pumpkin and sesame seeds. Yes, it was every bit as delicious as it sounds. There is a recipe here and I think I will have a go at making it at some point https://leon.co/magazine/recipes/meatless-meatballs-recipe/ )However it was a rather large portion and I ate all the brown rice which made me want to crawl under my desk for a nap!

Then in the evening I made a shepherds pie, lots of comforting lamb and potatoey goodness. Again what I ate wasnt the issue, just how much!

I guess it could have been a lot worse but I will have a strong FD today to balance things out. Would love to do B2B but have a friend visiting tomorrow (who will accuse me of starving myself if she catches wind of this WOL) so I’ll plan to do another FD on Friday to set myself up for the weekend.

Scales this morning showed 50.7kg…that’s 0.7kg up on yesterday. Fully expected but thankfully still within my maintenance range which I have decided is 50 – 51kg.

Will look forward to catching up on your posts throughout the day to keep me on the straight and narrow. Hope everyone is well. Will check in again later! Thank you for keeping me accountable!

Day 15, London, UK, FD (2nd of B2B2B)

The scales are heading in the wrong direction!!! I only have myself to blame, – not enough water & ‘stuff’ in transit!!

@rainbowsmile, I make my own MO, just magnesium flakes, MSM (for skin tightening properties) and water. I use it as a deodorant and haven’t needed any additional dosing, some people continue with their usual deodorant and just use MO as a topical supplement ……………………… I kill 2 birds with 1 stone, so to speak!!! So when I take a break for my ‘pits’ to recover, I forget I need to get my MO elsewhere………………. i.e. soles of my feet!!!! So for the next 2-3 days I’ll swipe with ACV then finish with Coconut oil as an alternative deodorant whilst spritzing my feet at bedtime, then back to MO deodorant.

@strawberriesandcream, I always tell people I’m just getting a head start on the embalming process by attempting to replace as much of my blood with red wine as possible!!!!

Congratulations @diana123, giving up the fags is probably the best thing you can do for your health, I gave up a few years ago with the help of Zyban having tried anything & everything (over and over again at great expense!!) for the previous 10 years, but like I always say ……………………………………. If I’d had the willpower to stop smoking on my own, I would never have had a weight ‘issue’!!!!

@metatauta, we’re happy you’re in maintenance, but you’re not allowed to leave this group!!!! Them’s the rules I’m afraid!!!!!!! It’s written somewhere, I’m sure!!!!

@merryapple, Yes, I think almonds are similar to legumes, whereby they need soaking overnight to ‘activate’ them and get rid of some nasty enzyme or other so that we can digest them easily.

@daffodil2010 ……………………… who in their right mind decided to make a lemon drizzle kit-kat?????? I hope Tesco’s don’t decide to stock it as I’ll just HAVE to try it!!!!!!!

“There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.” – Beverly Sills

Day 15 Wales 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 NFD

@beedoo good move to get straight on with another FD today to undo yesterday’s indulgence, wishing you a successful day 🙂

Loving all the bird talk. We put out a bird feeding station in the winter for the first time and have found them so enjoyable to watch, mostly bluetits, bullfinches and robins. We also have a family of magpies, entertaining to see the parents teaching the chicks to fly at the feeders to knock seed to the ground to eat.

Almost half way through the challenge, time to reflect on progress, I’m still maintaining well by continuing 2 FDs a week at between 500 and 800 calories and alcohol consumption has been better controlled so far this month…… I’m still hanging on to the August Abstainers!!

Keep on keeping on everyone 😎

Day 15 – FD; Dublin, Ireland

Hi everyone,

It’s a day early for our 2nd FD this week, but the fiance is signing his contract for a new job tomorrow and is taking me out to dinner to our favourite steakhouse, so we are compensating today!

Another nice, sunny day in Dublin today – will never trust the weather forecasters again, they were threatening rain literally every day this week.

Good luck to everyone fasting today, hope I got you all in the pocket list so far.

Day 15 Pocket List:
    @jaifaim
    @strawberriesandcream
    @beedoo
    @flourbaby (2nd of B2B2B)
    @moukinator

Day 15, Guildford UK, NFD

Sleep quite poor last night and still hot and sweaty, washing the sheets every day. I am not hungry. Body is eliminating 64 years of toxicity.

I feel thinner but don’t really see much difference in the fit of my clothes. Ketones are trace so must be fat burning. However I have a craving for full fat Greek yogurt at the moment and Kefir. Different from cauliflower i had a craving for a couple of months ago. At least it’s not cake!

I am going to cancel an appointment today and work from home.

—————————————–

@jaifaim it will be good to have definitive results from a sleep lab. When is your appointment and how long will you have to stay away.

@daffodil2010 i am enjoying reading your posts which are as sunny as your name.

@dykask I have the same issue HP moustache is unbalanced and love handles too. It annoys me in some clothes.

@merryapple a 6 pack would be great, amazing, rather than a one pack of fat.

@ccco the closer we get to goal the harder it seems, it is likely your body has hung on to fluid whilst losing 1.5 lb of fat.

@at do tell us about YOUR outfit, have you found it down to the shoes?

@annemarilyn and @shinything I am looking forward to maintaining and being fat adapted. To have just day to day adjustments rather than the challenges of goal. I am so admiring of those who an maintain, not only did they achieve goal but they score every day.

@foodfreedomgirl I believe in making changes, trying different options to see what is easy.

@catch87 welcome on board the August sunshine train I will add you to the spreadsheet.

@babs_b please adapt this WOL to suit your lifestyle, make it easy to do.

@sarahbob I hope you slept well.

@diana123 giving up smoking is a big thing, huge. Well done on your achievement.

@michelinme that’s really amazing to make your own products and to be clear what goes into them.

@molij have a great staycation, I love Chester with its very very old buildings and coffee shops.

——————————–

Today we learn about how sunshine is made with one of the most iconic songs of all time

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/jun/19/how-we-made-roy-ayers-everybody-loves-the-sunshine

—————————
    Day 15 Pocket list

@jaifaim

Regards

Mari

Day 15, Gozo, Malta, nfd

Back home from our holiday and cruise.

I didn’t read all posts but I gathered congratulations are in order for you Diana123 for giving up smoking. Your lungs will thank you and your health will improve. Also you won’t smell like someone who smokes but fresh and lovely.

I’m weighing myself and going to do a fd tomorrow.

Here in Malta it’s a public holiday and a feast day. I’m going to mass this evening with my OH.

Onwards and downwards, have a great Wednesday everyone.

Day 15 London UK FD

Second post

Welcome back @anna6. Have missed reading your delicious descriptions of your meals! Hope you had a wonderful time x

@rainbowsmile thank you for the daily dose of sunshine! Also full fat greek yoghurt…YUM! Hope sleep improves for you (as well as the amount of washing!)

@moukinator thank you for adding me to the pocket list.

@missybear (I always picture a Care Bear when I read your name!) good idea to reflect on the month so far at this half way point. Well done on maintaining. For my own reflection…am also maintaining but feel like I have had more indulgent days than I’m comfortable with. I was so in control until I reached goal weight so need to train myself to limit indulgences. Don’t want to restrict myself completely as I’d only end up going off the rails so I think I might pick a day or a meal or two a week where I do let go a bit without guilt.

Been a busy morning in the office so thankfully the time has flown. Off for a walk now before having a cup of 20 cal miso this afternoon.

Hope you are all having a good day

Day 15 North Canton OH FD

Another 3 pounds bites the dust! I am also down 1% fat. Current stats 159.4 pounds, 28% body fat, BMI 23.8

I am not sleeping as deeply as I would prefer, I have way too much energy. I bounded into the gym this morning, ready to tackle my work out. If the past is any indication, this should even out and I will be able to start sleeping again.

I am happy with my current trend and I believe this is sustainable. I am satisfying my sweet tooth with keto desserts (thank you awesome yum and low carb maven) and staying away from alcohol – for now. I ordered some monk fruit sweetener in the mail, once that arrives I will be able to enjoy skinny margaritas and vodka lemonade on the weekend.

@metatauta congratulations! What a testament to this WOL. So many of us have struggled and overcome and it’s such a blessing to see. The big thing with maintenance, which I failed miserably at, is not to go back to doing what got you into this pickle in the first place. You have learned great habits – stick with them. Enjoy your treats but don’t live in treat city; just pay occasional visits. I believe weight training has a huge part to play in staying within goal, but even weight training will not keep you from gaining weight if you over indulge.

@strawberriesandcream feel better soon, you are on my mind today!

@beedoo I noticed that when I would stay away from carbs and sugar for a while, then overindulge, I would have the mother of all headaches so it’s very possible. I bet you can find a study that will prove that hypothesis

@diana127 congratulations on quitting smoking! That’s the number 1 thing you can do for your health even better than losing weight. As a community health educator, I am very passionate about this. Way to go!!

@michelinme I am inspired – I wish I could make my own creams

@merryapple thanks for the info on almonds, I will feel even more righteous when I reach for my almonds

@freedomfoodgirl I have to echo @shinything what works for all of us is slightly different. I was doing 2:5 for a while there because I was in such a hurry to lose the weight and I felt great doing it. But my body did not like it and I stopped having periods – well that wasn’t going to work long term so I adjusted. Listen to your body and what it’s telling you, you will not go wrong.

Starting a pocket list.
    @jaifaim
    @strawberriesandcream
    @beedoo
    @flourbaby
    @moukinator
    @basyjames

Day 15, NFD, US

Had a good CD yesterday, below TDEE. Was helpful to remind myself I can do this.

Day 15 UK CD

Yesterday went a little awry with a late evening bread & cheese fest. I ate almost 200g of my fresh oat & seed bread. Unsurprisingly this morning I’m back at 157lbs with my carbtastic stomach extension out and proud. Clearly I can’t eat carbs without consequences.

I’ve finally realised what my current late evening eating issue is. This illness and esp this time off have thrown my body clock back into its old pattern of late nights and late mornings. I’m starting the day late bc tired, get a blast of energy late afternoon/ early evening and then try to do too much. By the time I’ve finished the project I then try to stay awake to have “time off” eg knit and watch a film and end up eating AND going to sleep really late, waking late and unrefreshed…

This evening I’m going to cut to the chase and get ready for be suppered, showered, in PJs and set up for the morning by 8pm. Then I can enjoy some downtime and asleep by 10-10.30pm, up 6.30-7.00am. Putting it there for external accountability.

Spoke with regular GP yesterday and going in for a quick check up appt tomorrow re level of breathlessness. I’ll see another GP as mine will be away, but sometimes a fresh pair of eyes….

@foodfreedomgirl I also get emotionally labile if restricting food too much. I’ve definitely found the basic 5:2 provides a scaffolding – it’s a rhythm that works for most, is long-term sustainable and has significant health benefits beyond weight loss. Might be worth considering going back to basics.
    @shinything thank you for mentioning shampoo – I did a quick google and am now v keen to give this a go too 🙂 Wellnessmama is usually a good place to start for simple, well explained ideas to start me off eg https://wellnessmama.com/3701/homemade-shampoo/ and https://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/organic-castile-soap

@merryapple how amazing to think you’ll finally be back in your own home soon. I love the sound of your garden. Mine is definitely a small London garden, tho I’m really lucky to be in a green area and on a corner, so happen to have a pretty large space. I know my neighbours think I’m mad bc I mostly left it alone for the first 10 years with the odd tidy to see what happened – now apparently a trendy thing called “rewilding” 🙂
    @daffodil2010 sad what people do to the natural world without thinking about it, or with other motivations that don’t really consider environmental impact. It takes particular capacity to notice things…
    @catch87 great go with the exercise routine!
    @beedoo me too with the avoidance thing. I’ve found a food diary is great as a reminder we’re only lying to ourselves, and eating more doesn’t serve our goals
    @flourbaby thanks for the reminder to drink more water – crucial in this WOL
    @rainbowsmile I love that feeling of feeling thinner before the shape change. You’ve certainly earned it! I hope your body upheaval settles down soon.
    My current craving is tomatoes – see them and my eyes light up like a cartoon 🙂 Partly bc I didn’t eat any for a few years due to a link with joint pain. But having discovered the link between joint pain and gluten/wheat products i seem to be able to eat them without the same effect – yay 🙂
    @basyjames 3lbs – wow, way to go! and thank you for writing so many helpful and memorable thoughts this morning – esp loved your “don’t live in treat city, just visit” – and the recipes for keto puddings 🙂

Right – off to finish the chutney I started yesterday, before listening to the still small voice that reminded me not to do too much. I left the spices and onions marinading together overnight, washed the jars ready to sterilise. Now just need to chop and add the apples and blackberries…. Then yoga, meditation, and planning ahead for an earlier night. Good luck to all those fasting today!

PS I was just going to apologise for another long, chatty post, and then i remembered how much i enjoy reading the long, chatty posts.

TL:DR pace, plan and sleep make it easier to avoid temptation 🙂

Day 15: Gloucestershire, UK: NFD
    Quite busy on the post today, not enhanced by the fast drizzle we had earlier! Hoping for a FD tomorrow as I didn’t do very well (at ALL) on Monday. Weight back up (tut), must try harder….

USA Day 15 FD

Today I am doing another water FD to try to re-lose the regained weight from the last water FD. It will only be for 24 hours this time! I should feel better after only 24 hours! Have a great day everyone!

Day 15 – USA – FD?

Pinch me! Cruella announced another low: 148.8! I’m a little puzzled as to the reason for this sudden loss in August, except that my meals are practically meatless due to my strong preferences this month for salads and veggies, and perhaps every other day doing upper body (mostly arms) weights? Not complaining and not going anywhere, @flourbaby, lol! Thank you for your warm comments! @anna6, glad you enjoyed your vakay. @basyjames great to hear about your new low; maybe I’ll try skinny margharitas and vodka lemonade instead of beer; do you have a recipe?

Day 15, UK, NFD

Its been a good day food wise, in fact a good week, so I’m pleased with that and feeling better. Just goes to show how much eating sensibly and healthy can affect you 🙂

No time for much posting though as I’m expecting guests any second now, will post more when I get a chance. Just wanted to be accountable 😀

For all that are doing well, well done, and for all that are struggling, hang in there 🤗

Have a great day/evening everyone 🌹

Day 15, Idaho USA Warrior day

Yesterday ended up a NFD. No real reason. I just didn’t feel up to it. I don’t count calories anymore, but It wasn’t excessive. I feel fine about it. Even took the new dog for a run in the evening.

@at, thank you for the encouragement and history. I have to constantly remind myself that people who are discouraging of this WOL frequently have never tried it themselves, and therefore cannot really offer an honest opinion. And what so many of you say is true, we are individuals and different things will suit each of us. I am encouraged to press on to find my best plan. Thank you!

@emma Taylor so glad the thunder came through!

@catch87, breakfast for dinner once a week? 🙂

@beedoo – no judgement. Just get right back at it, sounds like you plan to. It’s denial and turning one excessive day into weeks that are a problem. Way to go, facing it head on and moving on!

@michelinme – yes to long chatty posts! love em!

DAY 15 USA (Utah visiting) NFD

Yesterday’s DAFD wasn’t too bad. Hopefully today will go well too. Son-in-law brought home leftover iced cinnamon rolls from his morning Bible study… just had one. 🙂 Maintenance is still my game.

@diana123 – I’m with all the others extending congrats to you and hope for continued success. Gave them up almost 40 years ago, but I still remember the cravings, and the dreams that followed. They were nightmares that I had started smoking again! UGH! Maybe you’re already beyond this, but holding my breath deeply for a long time helped with cravings. I had read it was the oxygen deprivation your body craved as much as nicotine.

Onward and downward.

2nd post

Beedoo thanks for your welcome. Tomorrow back to cooking and fasting.

Have a great day!

Day 15 UK NFD

Congrats @diana123 for quitting smoking. It’s the best thing you can do for your body. I’m super proud of you.

I quit smoking 3 years ago when I was pregnant. Luckily I just went straight off cigs and the thought of them still repulses me now. *It should be noted that I am not advocating getting ‘knocked up’ as a way for people to quit smoking lol *

@daffodil2010 it’s funny you mentioned Allen Carr as I’m currently reading Good sugar bad sugar in another attempt to quit the sugar and carbs. So far so good but I shall remain open minded and cross all crossable body parts that it works. 🤞

In other news I have had a very productive day and got lots of exercise done so I am a happy little bunny today. 😁

Day 15 Stevensville Maryland USA CNFD

My CNFD turned into a 19 hour fast. I spent half the day in the emergency room with my 93 year old MIL. She fell yesterday and hit her head. Poor thing all test came back with good results, feeling grateful.

Thank you everyone for all the congrats and nice words. I feel so much better already. Trying to be a good example in hopes that my DH will follow suit.

Only I can change my life, no one can do it for me. Have a great Wednesday everyone.

Day14 Belfast NFD

Just a quick check in. There are too many post to catch up on and lots of replies I’d like to make. I’ll try to do that later.
    @shinything – the starlings murmurate near one of the bridges in Belfast city. It’s a spectacular sight.
    @diana123 – many congratulations on quitting smoking. I quit 35 years ago and it was by far the hardest thing I’ve ever done. Well done you!
    @daffodil2010 – lemon drizzle kit kat? I’m salivating already! Just another pitfall to avoid.

Hanging on August Abstainers by my fingernails!

Onwards and downwards.

Second post
    I hope your MIL sustained no lasting damage @diana123.

Onwards and downwards.

Day 15 – UK – NFD

Another good controlled day just below TDEE – weight this morning was 53.1kg!

A wet and drizzly day in Cumbria – but the restorative yoga class this morning was perfect for such a day – enjoyed a coffee and chat with a couple of friends who do the same class followed by a hair cut/colour in the afternoon. Came home and cooked a curry feast – prawn/salmon/spinach tomato based curry, spicy dhal and a cabbage/carrot salad – all very healthy and OH was in heaven!

@daffodil2010 – beware the temptations and pitfalls of working in an office 😉 seriously so happy that you are settling down and happy in the office
    @rainbowsmile – DD is the one who is sorted out with her dress and shoes not me unfortunately – I am looking for a smart day dress as I think that will suit the simple wedding DD is having and I did find a lovely day dress from Phase Eight which looks great on line – I have just ordered one to try at home as my nearest Phase Eight shop don’t have that model in stock…..
    @basyjames – congratulations on getting rid of that 3lbs
    @michelinme – LOL and that is why I don’t keep any cheese in the house or bake fresh bread anymore……it’s a treat for when I’m out……luckily OH does not eat cheese and he makes his own bread that holds little appeal for me!

Halfway through this challenge month already – Is anyone out there keen to try hosting the September challenge as @rainbowsmile can testify it is great fun and real motivator! Why not give it a go???

My yoga teacher shared this poem by Brigit Anna McNeill with us today – I loved it so thought I would share it with you all

Do not wait for permission to grow.
    Do not wait for permission to shine, to change, to bloom or to step up.
    Not from your friends, your partner, your family or your colleagues.
    Only you can give yourself permission, only you can allow yourself to stand tall, become strong and be who you want to be.
    Stop looking for approval in the stars, the horoscopes or waiting for a magical sign.
    Stop seeking permission in peoples eyes and gestures.
    Instead seek it inside yourself, look towards your own heart, your voice and your truth.
    Only you can spread your wings, only you know what whispers to your bones, only you know the life that resides under your skin, only you can be the mother, carer and alchemist of your life.
    You are responsible for your health, your career, your happiness, your relationships and your future.
    Stop searching for other people’s permission to change these things.
    Only you can give yourself permission.
    Stop waiting.
    Go do it.

Day 15, Rocky Mountains, US, CD

Day 16 – Japan – NFD 79.7kg

Busy day.

@metatauta – MAINTENANCE is something I asked about on the forum when I was getting close to my goal weight. I sure didn’t want to gain my weight back. That was in early 2017. Someone there suggested 6;1 as a good way, although someone on one of our previous challenges still continued to do 5;2 so she could eat more on the 5 days. It seemed to be working for her.

At 70 years old, I just don’t get to eat like I want to even on my 6. I still do MFP each day and count calories. E.g., today our family went to lunch at a lovely sandwich shop called “Even Stevens.” It was the choice of the older granddaughter, so of course I went along. I found the Even St. menu on MFP only to discover their sandwiches are huge calorie drains! Even if I were to only eat 1/2 of mine, most of that would still be 500-700 calories. So I ordered the tomato basil soup with one slice of bread.

I’m not exercising as much as perhaps I should, but I still try to do 3x a week. LOTS of water, occasional glass or two of 🍷 wine, and just plain careful wth carbs.

No, I haven’t gone to any other thread on this site. Love you all too much!

Viewing 50 posts - 501 through 550 (of 883 total)

You must be logged in to reply.