August 2018- Monthly Challenge – Summer Sun

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
August 2018- Monthly Challenge – Summer Sun

This topic contains 880 replies, has 61 voices, and was last updated by  mishty 5 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 883 total)

• Here is the spreadsheet for August, please add yourself to the sheet if you are new or not entered.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wFZJig95ttERr4_doYGWp8FnZBIKE5yBuGUULyeuFcw/edit?usp=sharing

My thanks to @shinything for creating the sheet for us.

Mari

“Whatever you do, never forget to be kind to yourself.”

Hello and welcome to our August monthly challenge.

The first monthly challenge was started by @coda in May 2016, since then so many of us have used this important tool to start, continue, or resume our 5:2 journey. Here’s how it works:

1. Brief introduction – will help us to get to know each other, esp newbies! Please use your very first post of the month to introduce yourself – perhaps say something about your beginning, your journey so far, what you’re aiming for or how you are benefiting from this Way of Life (WOL). Include your starting weight any other measurements (waist, hip, bust etc) you’ll be tracking this month, plus your monthly goal(s)

2. Spreadsheet – You can also record & track your progress on the spreadsheet, listing ourselves in alphabetical order by username. There’s space to track your monthly targets, mark your fast days (FD) and keep track on how others are doing too. It may help to keep ourselves accountable, or plan FDs for the month ahead. Any problems with the spreadsheet please ask – there’s always someone happy to help out. The rows highlighted in green indicate the challenge members who have met their goals and are in maintenance.

3. Format – Start each day’s post with the date where you are, where you’re from, and if you’re on a fast day (FD), non-fast day (NFD) or controlled day (CD). Members live all over the world and in different time zones; it’s helpful to know which day we’re talking about, who else is fasting etc. For example I live in North Canton OH and I will be fasting on day 1. So my post will begin Day 1 North Canton OH FD.

4. Frequency – Some people post daily and briefly, some check in every few days, and others come every day and share experiences and ideas. There can be maybe 80 people around the world taking part in a monthly challenge so we’ll mostly post once a day. If you‘re posting for the second (or third) time in a day, please begin your post accordingly eg Day 1 second post.

5. Content – Post your comments or questions, complaints or causes for celebration – anything you’d like to share with the forum. Recipes, tips, tricks ideas welcome too. Remember – we all have good days and bad days, days we fall off the wagon or days when we are hanging on by our fingernails. Whatever it is, you are not alone!

6. Community – This is a worldwide forum is there’s almost always someone online. We all do our best to offer advice, support or solidarity.

7. Pocket lists – Over the course of these monthly challenges, small groups have added their own mini-challenges. A ‘pocket list’ is a group who’ve set themselves a target and are supporting each other through it, mostly by knowing we’re not alone. Anyone can join one a pocket list or start a pocket list for a FD– it’s entirely optional and flexible.

8. 5:2 basics – answers to many FAQs plus top tips:
    https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

If you need help with adding yourself or filling the details please don’t hesitate to ask for help.

I’m delighted to be your host for the second time! I wish everyone good luck and successful month in every way.

Lets do this together! Onwards and downwards!

Memory Jogger

IF Intermittent Fasting
    WOL Way of Life

FD Fast Day (500 cals)
    MFD Modified Fast Day (800 cals)
    WFD Water Fast Day (Water only)
    CFD Controlled Fast Day (1200 cals)
    NFD Non Fast Day

5:2 5 days NFD:2 days IF
    ADF Alternate Day Fast, FD, NFD
    16:8 16 hours fast 8 hours non fast
    B2B Back 2 Back (days of FD or WFD)

DD, DS Darling Daughter,Son
    OH, Other Half
    LOL Laughing Out Loud

Keto, way of eating that generates Ketones
    LC, Low Carb way of eating
    LCHF, Low Carb High Fat way of eating
    TDEE: Total Daily Energy Expenditure

Mari

Thank you @shinything for hosting July 2018.

Mari

Hi @rainbowsmile – I’m in please. I looked at the spreadsheet and need to unhighlight my name – as I’m no longer in maintenance. I also attempted to change the dates at the top of each daily column to August and managed to leave a blank as it kept wanting to put in the american format of 8/1 rather than 1/8 (not that I have a problem with that – but it’s not my spreadsheet). I’ll stop fiddling before I manage to do some real damage 🙂

Thanks for hosting @rainbowsmile, I’ll definitely be continuing with the challenge.

We will be going on holiday at the end of August and not sure if we will keep up the 5:2 during those days as it’s always hard to resist the home cooking, so might do 4:3 until we go to try and shift some extra weight.

Quick intro to me – 29 yo, living in Dublin with my fiance. Both of us decided to start the 5:2 in April of this year as we would like to lose weight before our wedding (May 2019).

My starting weight: 75kg
    Current weight: 70kg
    Goal weight: 65kg

Fiance starting weight: 125kg
    Current weight: 113kg
    Goal weight: 95kg

Hi I’m in and thank you @rainbowsmile for taking the reins for August

Thank you for taking up hosting for August @rainbowsmile 💐

Count me in 🙂

Thank you for hosting August @rainbowsmile
    Please count me in.

@rainbowsmile thank you v much for hosting August

Please count me in 🙂

I’m in for August.

I am from NSW Australia.

Hoping to lose about4kg over the 4 weeks. But really any loss will be great. Really just need to get into a routine.

Welcome usual suspects!

And welcome to first timers……

This is a super supportive challenge group

@strawberriesandcream you have more experience of spreadsheet than I, would be delighted to have you meddle! I am not very confident on the change save and undo bit. Great to see you.

@moukinator great stats, you are both well on your way, August is going to be amazing for you both, I just know it

@shinything grateful if you can hold my hand on the spreadsheet thingies

@molij great to have you on board

@michelinme August is going to be your month, I have a votive daily and in August this is dedicated to all on this challenge. So your recovery is guaranteed.

@yondi lovely to meet you and this WOL is great for making shift.

————————-

The theme for August is Summer Sun so even if you are not in the northern hemisphere I intend to spread some Summer Sun into Winter Chills. It’s sun from the heart.

Spread some sunshine

IF you own this T please wear it or the poster please frame it….

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-1958-snoopy-poster-am-526075861

Mari

@coda a special hello to the founder of our challenge, never ever thought I would ever host!

A little about Mari, I am 64 was in a late abusive marriage (Now divorced) arrived here on this board in a very bad way emotionally. Had such super support (thank you @debster251 particularly for your loving help) I survived, and now beginning to thrive. Had fungal pneumonia 6 years ago was put on industrial doses of steroids, thyroid packed in. Type 2 diabetes went into overdrive, was on metformin and briefly insulin.

65lbs overweight when I came off the steroids had lost a lot of it when I hit A big wall and then the great plateau. I am now 15lbs from goal 1. Because of body pump have gained 6lbs of muscle.

I now have NO medications. NO type 2 indications. My thyroid whilst low is no longer supplemented.

I WFD to lose weight.

As a result of this WOL and the guys and gals here particularly in this challenge series, better health is the result. Heck I am still standing and looking forward.

I am keen to say, please give this WOL a try, there is a way of applying this to suit everyone. And it’s sunshine in your heart with your own success and those in the challenge. And it’s sunshine for those who need a reboot or a little encouragement.

And one last thing, I am becoming a nerd on poo.

Have some sun in your life today and in your heart.

Mari

Owning up: I may have messed up your spreadsheet…I put “insert” and managed to get my username in the right place but had problems with the “place” column. Tried to put “Gloucestershire, UK”….but failed. An extra blank column has appeared and it says ” Germany” on my place!!? Sorry…a quick lesson on how to use the spreadsheet needed.

No biggie @ciren2, all corrected and put “Gloucestershire, UK” next to your name 🙂

@rainbowsmile I’ll be happy to hold your hand when it comes to spread sheet, don’t worry about it 😀

Thank you @shinything.

@ciren2, no one can mess these spreadsheets more than me! Welcome to the August challenge.

I will look at a post on how to use the spreadsheet, I need it. Must activate my inner nerd.

Today’s sunshine dose

https://youtu.be/fd1-FMs6CMk

Mari

Going to end July with FD’s Count me in for August and thank you @rainbowsmile for hosting August.

Aah thanks @shinything and @rainbowsmile. I only have to look at any kind of tech-stuff and it goes wrong!

Thanks for hosting, count me in! I am going “back to basics” this month — FD and NFD only. The higher calorie modified fast days (800 cals) did not work as well for me in July, based on what I ate for NFD. I really appreciate your chart with all the acronyms!

I will be there! Thanks so much @rainbowsmile for taking on this challenge!

This is my maintenance daily joy – started challenges in May 2016 with @coda and been 5:2 (or 6:1 in maint.) since Marcy 2016.

Please count me in for August. Thanks for all the positive comments. I’m now back in fasting land, after spending too much time on holiday this year, skipping FDs and wondering why my fat stomach had returned. I’m on it.
    Have a great August all, and thanks @rainbowsmile for hosting this month. H

Hi there, I’m new to your challenge and I’m really hoping I didn’t totally mess up your spreadsheet. Please kick me out if I did 😊. I need to lose about 45lbs but my goal for Aug. is 8-10. I’m from Texas and the heat should be melting it off of me but so far not working. Happy to be here!

Hi! I’m new to the challenge (and the forum), and would love to join in!

I’ve been on 5:2 since November 2017, and have lost about 4kg so far. I’m in a bit of a plateau for the past few weeks (and generally not watching my diet enough on NFD’s) and came across this challenge so thought this would be a good pace change and something to keep me accountable!

I’m 3.8kg off my goal weight, and my goal for August is to lose 1.8 – I frustratingly fell off the wagon a bit a couple of weeks ago, one step forward, two back…

Looking forward to it!

Hi all – I’m a returner, and I’m from the UK (just outside London)! I remember the first ever monthly challenge by @coda – following on from our old ‘Little Voices’ threads. I’m just getting back into the 5:2 way of life having starting fasting again last week for the first time all year (and barely any fasting in 2017 either!). So, my goal for August is to simply fast twice a week all month, to help me really solidify the habit back in place. I’ll be deciding my FDs each week, depending on what I’ve got going in, but I will be fasting on 1st Aug this week.

Looking forward to it and having the support of the thread. 🙂

Preparation day -2 to go

@shimmera I love the idea of back to basics, it’s something all of us can remember. August will be amazing for you.

@songbirdme you are one of my secret heroines, I start 5:2 about the same time as you but I am stuck on the great plateau. Body comp has changed though. It’s lovely to have you here for August.

@EmmaTaylor, your holidays are vital for your mental health and I have very much enjoyed reading about them, its fabulous that this WOL is so adaptable. I think you have a staycation for August?

@rara0292 no fears about the spreadsheet looks all ok to me. Welcome we love to have newbies to the Challege in our group as the enthusiasm is infectious and this is such a supportive group. Welcome to the challenge.

@gretta oh the dreaded plateau! The great news is that the support here, suggestions and posters sharing experience makes getting off that plateau certain. And more celebrations with you when you do. August is a great month to begin. Welcome.

@babs_b welcome back to the challenges. It’s lovely to hear from challengers of yore! Sounds like you too are back to basics, or do I misunderstand?

Today’s sunshine

If you have to see the sunshine then there will always be a storm. Maya Angelou

Mari

Hi @rainbowsmile. No, I’m away in August as well. We have decided to enjoy ourselves as much as possible while we are still able to. So we will soon be broke, but hey ho. We are know that life is unpredictable, so we are trying to cram in as much as we can. Hope all is well with you. H

Thank you for hosting the August Challenge @rainbowsmile – looking forward to joining friends from previous challenges and meeting new ones in this coming month so count me in for August, which will be my 20th month in maintenance and this would not have been possible without the support and motivation offered on these challenges 🤗

My personal motto for this WOL is:-
    “If I quit now, I will soon be back to where I started. And when I started, I was desperately wishing to be where I am now”

A big thank you to @shinything for last month’s stellar job and thank you @ Rainbowsmile for herding us all this month. Count me in! I’ll pop in and out. We’re off in the caravan for a few long weekends this month so my posts will be WiFi dependent. I couldn’t do without you all!
    Welcome old friends and new…It’s going to be a good’un!

@rainbowsmile thank you for hosting August. I am really looking forward to August, July was great but August is going to be spectacular!

I have never been good about posting on the spreadsheet but I did want to make a correction, I am in active weight loss mode not maintenance so would you mind un-highlighting my name pretty please 🙂

I have an 8-10 pound weight loss goal. I am optimistic that following my plan will make a nice dent in my goal, no stress no worries one day at a time.

Hello everyone,

@beedoo here, looking forward to the August challenge!

A bit about me and my 5:2 journey so far:

I started on 13 June 2018 – having seen the Dr MM documentary – and was looking to improve my physical and mental well-being.

Weight goal was to lose my last 5 kg of baby weight. I had my little boy almost 2 years ago (he turns two later this month) and I’m not sure I can blame the extra weight on pregnancy so long after the event!

I am 5ft 3 in (160cm) and pre-pregnancy I weighed 8 stone (50.8kg or 112lbs) all my adult life. I am looking to get back to this…or a nice round 50kg…I measure in kgs and like a round number!! Once in maintenance I intend to give myself an allowance of 2 kg, so 50-52kg for ups and downs.

Start weight: 56kg
    Goal weight: 50kg
    Current weight: 51.6kg

Since joining the monthly challenges, I feel more motivated to get fit than I have done in the past two years. After a month, I started doing the Jillian Michaels workout – 30 Day Shred and am actually enjoying it! I feel fitter and stronger and excited about the changes I am seeing and feeling in my body.

I tend to fast 2-3 days per week (Mon-Wed) when I am in the office. I have Thursdays and Fridays off work with my boy and I look forward to these precious days so very much. Weekends are family time when my husband is also around and I try to save indulgences for then!

Finally, we are going away to Ireland from 23 August until 1st September to stay with my in-laws. I am hoping to continue to 5:2 during this time but mother in laws cooking is very hard to resist. However they are healthy eaters so I will make good choices and at the very worst I know I will be able to keep within my TDEE of 1394. With this in mind I would love to reach my goal of 50kg by the 23rd. 1.6kg to go!

@rainbowsmile Thank you so much for hosting this month. I’ll be on here most days to keep myself in line. These threads make all the difference to me staying on track with this WOL and not being led astray by chocolate and chips! Not filling in weight on spreadsheet just yet in case I manage to drop a bit more before 1st August!

“Keep your face to the sun and you will never see the shadows.”

USA
    Thank you, Rainbowsmile, for hosting August. I am in! Welcome to all the newbies! 🙂

Florida
    Thank you, @rainbowsmile for hosting August. Having these to post every day, if want to, helps keep me in line.

@rainbowsmile I am definitely back to basics! It’s been over a year since I was really committed to the 5:2, so I’m using this month’s challenge to solidify the habit back in place. The weight loss will follow, I’m sure! 🙂

I love the support of a daily check-in on the forums, that’ll really help keep me on track. Looking forward to getting to know everyone a bit more on here over the coming weeks.

@basyjames done it , your name is not highlighted now 🙂

Thank you @shinything for hosting July, and @rainbowsmile for hosting August. I’d forgotten what a wonderfully inspirational and supportive group this is. I think I’m also in with the Back to Basics idea – the number of calories I’m eating has crept up, and the results show it. So back to it. So many amazing stories and ups and downs, it’s humbling.

Hello all from NI and welcome oldies and newbies alike to our August challenge – Summer sun, hosted by our own ray of sunshine @rainbowsmile

Nice to see your name appear @ciren2 and @bab_b – it’s always nice when old friends pop in to say hello.

I see a few are getting back to basics this coming month – sometimes it can make such a difference to just start one step at a time with no pressure. Remember it is only 31 days.

and in the theme of this months challenge here is my quote.

Don’t let the shadows of yesterday spoil the sunshine of tomorrow. Live for today.

Day -1

Ate my last piece of dark chocolate (80%) for the next 10 days. Also had some Kefir, a large bowl of salad, some roasted spiced cauliflower and carrots in coconut oil. With baked goats cheese, extra virgin olive oil and squeezed lemon together with a glass of cider vinegar ( through a straw).

My 10 day WFD starts 7 pm tonight.

So I will post every day.

There will be a WFD pocket list for each day this month.

Please feel free to drop in and out of it, if you wish to try one day then that’s ok. I would love for everyone to join in even if for one day.

I will be recording both ketones and blood sugar probably three times a day.

My goals for this 10 days aren’t weight loss. They are to solidify my insulin and ensure my diabetes is ok. I have my doctors permission to do this and have previously done 7 days which is how I brought blood sugar and insulin under control.

If anyone is on metformin (or other medicines) for type 2 then I recommend medical advice as your meds like mine may need to cut. I am also arranging for my blood fats and cholesterol to be measured before and after. And my body fat percentage. Which is currently 25.5% (although at one stage it was 24.5%).

I have undertaken 2 hrs of spinning to start burning my stored carbs (glycogen)

Also today I bought the bones to start my bone broth (from day 3) and some fizzy vit C tabs together with some multi mineral and creatine monohydrate.

————————–
    OK here we go

Pocket list WFD 1 of 10 days if you are inspired to try a day or so please add to the list at any time in the next ten days.

@rainbowsmile (Day 1 of 10)

Mari

Day -1

@diana123 am still trying to persuade some friends to come along to the retreat but they all think I am crazy. Glad you are here for August 2018.

@at, my lovely supportive companion and of whom I am a great fan it’s great to have you here for August.

@debster251 I want to give you the biggest of all hugs for the challenges you have met on your way to health and wellbeing whilst offering the kindest and most loving words. August will be your month of sunshine.

@basyjames it is lovely to host you for August, to repay your great support just a little over the last months.

@beedoo, I love your posts and enthusiasm for this WOL and really enjoy your contributions so I am so pleased you are in the August Challenge.

@ccco, what can I say but your contribution to my pocket determination has kept me on the straight and narrow at times. Welcome to August.

@kaywesterman, this WOL is sometimes difficult and there have been tough spots and I look forward to 31 days of postings from you. Back to basics seems like a wonderful idea.

@ktcaroline welcome on board for August. The sunshine train will inspire you this month and I look forward to learning about your journey.

@coda and @shinything where would I be without your assistance?

All on board the sunshine train is reving it’s engine for the great trip ahead

———————————-

For today’s Sunshine here is Stevie Wonder which is my personal message to you all on the challenge

https://youtu.be/3wZ_b_uUAdQ
    Mari

Day -1 – NFD; Dublin, Ireland

July was my most successful month so far, made up for June which was a bit all over the place in terms of sticking to this WOL.

I’ve just looked over MyFitnessPal, here are my stats for this past month:

7 MFDs (<850kcal)
    11 CD (<1550kcal, app calculated amount of kcal for 0.25kg/week weightloss)
    8 NFD (<1710kcal, my current TDEE)
    4 Feast Days (>1710kcal)

I was supposed to do 8 MFDs, but overindulged on one of them. Still, looking at the numbers I am very proud of my perseverence.

I am going into August much more optimistic that I went into July. I remember the beginning of the month was quite hard, I was losing motivation because I had plateaued for so long. Really grateful for the whoosh that came last week.

@rainbowsmile – thank you again for hosting this month, I am really curious about your 10 WFDs. I have never done a WFD myself, but I am tempted to join you for a day – perhaps next Monday, your day 6. It will be after our guests leave, so for sure hitting the rest button will be beneficial!

Good luck to you and everyone this month. Onwards and downwards 🙂

Thank you for hosting @rainbowsmile. Please count me in! 😊😊😊

Day -1 – Ireland – FD

Hey @rainbowsmile, I am really looking forward to joining you all on August’s sunshine train. I love your daily sunshine boosts already!

My final July weigh in is tomorrow, however a sneak peak this morning shows that I have hit July goal so I am hoping I will push further inland by the morning. Its an FD, so should have some movement.

Off now to update the spreadsheet…I love spreadsheets….

I’m in for August @rainbowsmile. Hope to lose 2kgs this month from a start of 74.4kg. I’ve lost 31kg so far and am now struggling with the last 10kg, but am confident I will get there…eventually…as I have now joined the tortoise club and the weight loss is slowing. It is dawning on me that I need to eat less to maintain my smaller body and that in itself will be tricky as I don’t calorie count on non fast days. I think this summer is turning out to be my period of adjustment to eating less overall.

And standing up for myself for choosing to follow a plant-based diet. I want to apologise to people sometimes, as it can feel self-indulgent. But when I hear others talking of their indigestion, high cholesterol, high blood pressure and raised blood sugar, and I’m free of these issues at the moment, I need to defend myself without being preachy! Another skill to learn this summer.

Hello all

Day 1 will be a WFD for me.

I just feel like I need that to get started on this journey. I have never been on this 5:2 diet before so I’m a little nervous but excited due to all the excitement I’m reading from you guys. So I’m ready to buckle up and ride right thru the bumps and curves with your help.

Hi rara and welcome:

Here are some 5:2 basics: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

Good luck!

Day 1 – Turkey – NFD

Hi everyone!

Currently I’m 75 kg. My height is 164 cm. I want to get pregnant so I need the lose some weight before the baby. My long term goal is 57, short term goal is 67. In August I want to lose 4 kg as a start.

I hope I can do it. 🙂

Day 1 country West Australia NFD
    Hmmmm….. well July didn’t happen in a 5:2 sense. Completely over ate , under exercised and generally yada yada yada.
    Anyway here I am back again at the start of a brand new month and hoping for a better outcome!!
    Thanks in advance @rainbowsmile for hosting.🤞

Day 1 London UK FD

Good morning August! A brand new month, I wonder what you’ll hold for us? For me I hope it will see me:

– reach goal weight and maintain it
    – complete 30 Day Shred (currently on Day 10)
    – not gain weight during our family holiday in the last 9 days of August.

July was a successful month beyond what I expected.

5:2 start weight 13 June: 56kg
    July start weight: 54.3kg
    August start weigh: 50.5kg
    Goal weight: 50kg

On ward and downward. And on theme for the month:
    BE THE SUNSHINE! ☀️

Day 1 (my favourite day) Belfast FD

Well, @ Rainbowsmile, you’ve kicked off with a real whizz! I loved the music! I’ll follow your journey with interest. When do you get your exam results? Sometime soon I think, I’m thinking of you.

I don’t usually fast on Wednesdays but today it seemed like a good idea.
    A bit about me.
    My name is Debby and I’m a 63 yo retired primary school teacher. I was born and bred in the south east of England but ended up in Belfast with my OH. My journey started 2 1/2 years ago and in that time, I’ve lost about 32 lbs – a slow journey – I’m a member of Club Tor-Twah (tortoise club) but my weight has gone down and stayed down. I’m in maintenance now, but continue to struggle with my sweet tooth and a waist that is larger than I would like.

Weight range: 142-146lbs. (Currently 145lbs) Waist 32.5”
    This month’s goal: reduce waist
    Continue to maintain.

Welcome to all the newbies here. You’re in a good place. The seasoned campaigners here are full of advice, sympathy and humour. This is a way of life WOL, not a race, and it works!

Remember: Even if you lose 1/2 a pound a week, you’ll lose 26 lbs in a year.

Day 1 – UK – Reading – CFD

Reading all your posts has brought a big smile to my face this morning. What a wonderfully positive group you are. And what fabulous results. I’m totally focused on losing 4kg this month – starting from 61.3 kg this morning. I think it’s achievable if I don’t wander off course. Here’s to summer sun and ice cool mineral water (sparkling, of course!)

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 883 total)

You must be logged in to reply.