Anyone out there in their 70s, 80s or 90s?

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body General health
Anyone out there in their 70s, 80s or 90s?

This topic contains 363 replies, has 56 voices, and was last updated by  Eirlys 3 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 23 posts - 351 through 373 (of 373 total)

• Derek, Google for articles by Dr Michael Mosley as he has so many positive things to say about the various forms of the Fast Diet. Hope you read this.

It’s me again. Just wanted to ask, what is that thread you mentioned and how do I find it?

If you mean Dr Mosley just type in his name in Google and you will find lots of interesting and helpful articles.

Sorry no idea what this is.

Eirlys, I reported these tow posts as I don’t want to click on any stage links. We’ve both given the guy help and encouragement, so I don’t understand why he’s come back.

I know this mobdro site gives access to things one usually has to pay for.

Anyway, how are you doing in lockdown? I’m champing at the bit to get out, as a fit and healthy 73 year old. Doing tai chi and poetry groups on zoom and will have our first Welsh conversation zoom session on Wednesday. Food discipline wavering as we have to eat what we have in order to just shop once a week, rather than pop out. I confess to buying a lemon drizzle cake – at least it’s smaller than if I’d made one.

Went and weighed myself as soon as I’d read your message. I am 7 stone 2 so I have put on 2 pounds recently. Not surprised. DIL baked me a rather large Victoria sponge and her mother gave me half a large lemon /ginger cheesecake. Have eaten all the latter and half the former!! Daughter cooks for me and I have had to ask her to stop for a while as freezer is full. I also have fish meal on Friday and roast dinner on Sunday from local pub! I shall be 90 in August and have heart problems so I am well in the vulnerable category. Might as well enjoy myself while I can
    Any means of private messages here?

Wow, Eirlys, you’re tiny!

I don’t feel tiny!

I was 8 stone 4 when I started the 5:2 diet. Found it easy and successful.

How tall are you? I’m 5’3″ and had crept up to 11st 4lbs, the 4 having shown after a trip to Ireland where we were practically force-fed. I’m now 9st 3lb, my top wriggle room, but BMI is 22.5 or so. I wear size 10 trousers and size 12 tops, so I’m very happy. My face is thin, I definitely do not want to go under 9st.

I was 5.1 but have shrunk over the years! I take 8/10 trousers and tops though have got into some size 6’s not because they were a size 6 I reckon but vanity sizing by the firm.

Any way we can correspond privately?

Has anyone tried a Keto diet and successfully lost any weight? I’ve been enjoying it but the weight is very stubborn.
    Any suggestions?

Thanks! yes the restart process is working all good!
    https://get-mobdro.com

Has anyone tried to eat a ketogenic diet whilst following 5:2 or intermittent fasting. I have been finding any of the above very difficult not to put weight on.
    I also think that regardless of an individual’s height and weight they can still feel very anxious to avoid weight gain.

Enilorac, I am in my late 60’s. I am doing low carb 5:2, basically eating keto on my 2 fast days a week. The other 5 days, it’s still low carb, but not keto.

I’m 73 and well on the way to 74. And I’ve got all those age-related issues like joints that don’t move. I’ve already had both knees replaced. One of my goals is to put a whole lot less load on these creaky old joints and increase the years when I can be independent.

The other day I actually jogged a bit on my treadmill. It didn’t last long but it was a personal victory. Mostly, I make due with increasing the elevation rather than the speed. I figure as long as I stay in a fat-burning zone I’m doing OK.

I also have a Pilates Reformer. It was a luxury I gave myself when I was rehabbing my knees (both at one time!). It’s a great way to move the joints without putting a load on them. And I work my abs much more effectively than I’m able to on the floor.

Can’t say I know much of anything about a ketogenic diet. I just stay away from starchy carbs — I don’t even eat the “healthy” whole grain carbs — and try to load up on protein and veggie carbs.

LA Chubster, so good to hear from you! You haven’t posted for such a long time, having been a regular. I was so worried that you might have been in trouble with those fires and floods in California a couple of years ago. Relieved that you’re safe.

Re diet, my daughter goes on about keto, but I just watch the carbs. I just realised that this is the fourth anniversary of hitting target on 5:2. πŸ₯‚πŸ₯‚πŸ₯‚. I lost another half a stone, so lowered the maintenance target, with a three pound wriggle room. I seem to be set on the upper this summer, with occasional ventures just above.

Enilorac, just follow Mimi’s recipes, especially her advice on flavourings. Good luck.

Great to see you too, Pollypenny! And great to hear of your enormous success!

I never had any natural disasters. Just food disasters. So I’m starting again.

I’ve got a pretty good routine going. I’m just investigating how veggies with a higher carb load could be getting in my way. It’s not happy news to find that many of my mainstays like garbanzo beans could be a problem. I don’t know how I’m going to deal with that. Things have to have some value for providing satisfaction after all.

Great to hear that. Your sudden stop in posting was at the time if those fires, if you remember. Keep it up, you can do it.

Hi all … I have been doing 5:2 for around 6 years now and have enjoyed good weight loss in the past BUT … 5:2 does not seem to work for me in relation to weight loss anymore. At aged 61, I am wondering if my metabolism my have really adjusted and slowed to a point where 5:2 is not working for me anymore.

I have not read any evidence/proof of this in any of Michael’s books nor have I read any proof/evidence/similar experience on this website/blog.

Does anyone have comments here or have “suffered” a similar experience ?

Hi Craig, I have had just that experience and I seem to be stuck. As I said in my previous post, I’ve been trying to get back to the weight loss I had achieved when I first followed 5:2 but nothing seems to work. If anyone has cracked this do get in touch.

Hi, Craig. If you’ve been doing 5:2 for 6 years I’m not sure why you still need to lose weight? Have you put in quite a bit in between dieting? 5:2 has worked for us because of its maintenance strategies.

OH lost 3 st, but did put on a stone. He would reward him with a beer after any gardening. 😏

Just weighed myself and am 7 stone 1 still so very pleased as it shows this diet works and continues to work. I find going without breakfast the easiest thing to do though some times I have yoghourt or muesli.
    Prefer to have something in the way of a treat around three in the afternoon.

Reminder: Wine and beer add empty calories. Save for a weekend treat.

Viewing 23 posts - 351 through 373 (of 373 total)

You must be logged in to reply.