The Maintenance Chatbox… come and share your success with us!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight maintenance
The Maintenance Chatbox… come and share your success with us!

This topic contains 11,627 replies, has 174 voices, and was last updated by  hermajtomomi 7 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 3,501 through 3,550 (of 11,673 total)

• Hi Happy, Maybe the digetive system still works during calorie restriction and wants more, whereas it seems to me as if it turns the system off after certain amount of not receiving any food.

BTW what did you think of the programme about sugar last night? I was pretty disappointed – nothing we didn’t know. I thought there would be new scientific research as in what happens to our organs, skin etc.

Yes, some of the sugar content in food was higher than I expected (ginger beer, which have never tasted) but that was all.
    I found the clip where she complained to the food standard agency that some packaging had traffic light system and others showed sugar content in g/portion was rather embarrassing especially since she asked for sugar to be recorded in teaspoons so people could “understand better”.

News from the techies, they ARE having issues, so I’m unsubscribing during the weekend. No point in getting notification a day after it is posted!
    Have a good weekend MCs. 🙂 P

Hi Lichtle,

Yes, nothing we didn’t know really but interesting nonetheless! I must admit I was surprised at how much sugar there was in some foods that intuitively you would expect to contain little or none. As I don’t buy cakes or biscuits, or eat cereals or ready meals, or drink juice or fizzy drinks, much of the info was from an interested observer perspective though.

What always amazes me is the diets of some people! The woman with the 4 year old appeared to eat nothing with anything nutritional value, and little that wasn’t chocolate!

On the subject of labelling with number of teaspoons of sugar, I thought it was a fair point that there should be consistency of labelling. If you’re shopping, in a rush, maybe tired and harassed by the kids, and you buy a lot of processed food (!), you might use the traffic light system but get caught out by the packaging that appears to use the same symbols but not colours (at a glance you see it isn’t red, so assume it’s a safe option). And while labelling it in teaspoons might seem a bit noddy, it would put it in a context that most people would understand…

I must admit I didn’t know how many g per 100g constituted ‘high sugar’, but then I don’t really need to as my diet mostly contains no added sugar. I make a loaf at the weekend (1tsp) and biscuits perhaps every other weekend (probably 10g per ‘serving’). OH has sugar in tea or coffee, so I reckon he goes over 6-8tsp each weekend day just from drinks alone.

@happy, when telling people about the daily recommended amount of sugar would it not have been a good idea to educate people that the recommended amount of sugar is no more than 24g and that 1tsp = 4gramme = 6tsp?

The lady of the Food Standard Agency was right, why should sugar be different, what about salt?

This programme did not educate just entertain by watching people guessing the levels of sugar in baked beans. Frankly I doubt that anybody gets obese from sugar in savoury food, it is the obvious chocolates and cakes that everybody knows contains huge amounts of sugar that make us fat.

But my main grudge was that nowhere was it mentioned that sugar was bad for you other than for weight gain and the associated health implication from obesity. It was not made clear enough that sugar calories have 0 nutrients and therefore endanger slim people to become malnorished especially those who don’t have a hight TDEE. One effect of malnorishment is hunger – because the body seeks and needs nutrients to keep the body healthy.

Anyway, I am climbing off my high horse now and look forward to watching the programme about calorie restriction tonight on iplayer.

I appreciate the programme didn’t teach you anything new, but then it wasn’t aimed at people like you who already have a good understanding of the subject. And yes, there was obviously a lot more they could have said about the perils of sugar.

The programme you wanted would have been a much heavier, fact-filled (and drier 🙂 ) affair though, which would have had the majority of viewers switching channels I’m afraid! This was prime time BBC1 after all…

Before you can educate people, you have to engage them, and hopefully last night’s programme would have done that and raised awareness.

I think you are giving the majority of the population more credit than they deserve if you think most people would not have learned something 🙂

Litchie, your assessment that only biscuits and cakes make fat people fat is a bad guess and completely innaccurate. If the programe taught nothing else it did teach that hidden sugars are in all kinds of savoury foods, perhaps you missed that?

I don’t eat sweet foods from one months end to the next, yet I am fat…

Just my soap box moment.

Hi
    I obviously didn’t see the program, but we have had similar here in Australia. The labelling issue is also hot here.

When we started 5:2 nearly 2 years ago, Mr P made a spreadsheet listing the contents and calorie count of the foods we ate. We added to it regularly. It gave us a very good understanding about how many “extras” are in many processed foods. It was a wonderful help as we began our journey towards health. Some would call it reinventing the wheel, we didn’t join the forum for another year, but the act of entering each food brought the message down powerfully.

The bread I make has no sugar, but yesterday I added cinnamon, walnuts and dates to the sourdough. It rose about 40% higher and is phenomenally light. It must have been the fructose in the dates. Even yeast appreciates a little sugar! 😉

Saturday morning here. Rainy and I had to do an emergency dash to the shop for cat food. Ran out yesterday. Madam VERY unimpressed with human tuna and basil in brine 🙁 P

JayeGirl I didn’t say ONLY people who eat sugar get fat as much as I know that not every sugar addict gets fat. What they do is use a big part of TDEE calories on sugary stuff at the expense of meat and veg and other healthy food. I have done that in the past and happily maintained. Not clever but such is the pull of sugar.

And of course, I know sugar is hidden in a lot of savoury food but I just don’t think those amounts would make me fat unless I over ate in general and then it is not just the sugar that is to blame.

Happy, I take your points although I must say it would be nice if there was a follow up programme that was more fact filled and dry :-)).

On a related note, I am pleased and surprised that I have stayed sugar free this week and on the whole my cravings are manageable. I am not compensating quite as much with other food but need to stop buying nuts as they definitely have been used as a substitute. On the bright side – in January some mixed nuts would not have counted as a treat – now they have. My weight is down by two pounds and spot on maintenance weight.

Purple, that bread sounds delicious. I would have never thought of adding dates or cinnamon to bread. Although one of the best and mosr aromatic bread I have ever eaten was a sourdough rye bread made with anise seed, caraway seed, fennel seed, molasses and the zest of one orange. Mmm :-))

Oh boy, I feel an urge for bread baking coming on! Bread is my weak spot though and I suspect I could polish off a whole loaf in one day ! 🙂

Hi P,

I never was a calorie counter, except for getting an understanding of what 500 calories for a fast day looked liked. But since starting 5:2 I have become more aware of calories. But sugar and salt less so, because I don’t add them to food and rarely eat anything I haven’t cooked (or wasn’t home cooked by someone I trust not to poison me!)

It has definitely been a journey though (and continues to be) from gaining weight, to reaching a weight I wasn’t happy with yet feeling powerless to do anything about it, then finding 5:2 and getting control of my weight, and then becoming increasingly interested in how to optimize nutrition in the pathetically reduced amount of calories it now takes to maintain me!

I must admit I do wonder where this journey will take us! Maybe we will end up 130 year old CRONs!

Urrgh, H. I have no intention living until 2081. I can’t imagine the politicians then 😉
    The orange zest sounds good L!
    One (thick) slice of buttered bread each for breakfast and packed away in the fridge. He’ll learn self restraint yet!! P

Hmm, if you want to avoid long life I think you’ll need to watch the diet then P… And the moderate drinking! More processed food! More alcohol!

Sadly, Happy, down that path lies illhealth in the intermediate years 🙁
    Think I’ll take my chances with this wol. 🙂 P

Sugar free Lent is working for me, in that it allows me to fast 6:1 and remain on low weight. Thanks Lichtle and Fast, I wouldnt have done it without you. And I wouldnt have stuck to it without you. Even now I can hear the sweets calling to me. 😉

Watching Martin Guptill of NZ have a fantastic innings in cricket World Cup. 237 off around 160 balls. First 100 runs came from 111 balls. Last 137 runs came from around 50 balls. Wow!

Cheers, Bay 🙂

A terrific game, and the WI would have been competitive if they didn’t lose wickets as they did. Roll on SA on Tuesday.

Well maintainers, shocking news! I ended this week heavy! Post Christmas weight no less! Still under upper threshold weight (just!), but not enough wriggle room to accommodate a weekend…

I’ve been trying to think what’s been different this week, and I can only think that after the Monday (proper) fast I mentally relaxed and ate more than normal. I haven’t been doimg 5:2 or even 6:1 to maintain, and I don’t count calories, but I guess I must have been unconsciously exercising some degree of CR during the week (in the absence of fasting) which I perhaps didn’t this week following a proper fast.

Anyway, damage limitation this weekend, a bit less alcohol, no sweet treats, and a bit more exercise…

And next week, at least one fast…

Interesting how relaxing just a little enables the weight to creep back on Happy! Good news is you are below your limit and can easily redeem what you have gained. I have noticed myself I have relaxed little on non FD over the past couple of weeks and have been at my limit at the end of the weekend. FD SETS ME BACK DOWN AGAIN BUT IM JUST SLOWLY CRREPING up compared to where I have been in the past. Can’t relax for a minute! 🙂

Absolutely right Carol and Happy
    Like democracy, we have to be eternally vigilant; ) P

Well I’m pleased I didn’t throw the scales away and still weigh daily, otherwise I wouldn’t have noticed the weight creep until it was quite a few lbs/kgs (I gain all over, not just round my middle, so by the time my belt is tight everything’s tight!).

Without the scales (and in the absence of calorie counting) I would’ve sailed on in blissful ignorance, assuming my normal diet plus one fast would result in me losing weight not gaining…

Whilst having to be constantly vigilant seems like a pain, it’s better than the alternative 🙂

Oh, Happy, what a service you’re doing the rest of us, reminding us how easily it could all go pear-shaped (or in my case, apple-shaped) again…but as others have said, you are knowledgable and skilled at pulling it back and putting it right, so I’m sure you will do it. Good luck!

I will join you in having a treat-free w/e, and would like to draw a veil over my eating habits this week. I’ve been with my Ma – always affects my eating, not just due to her dreadful diet but also a whole heap of emotional history – and let’s just say I ‘transferred’ sunday forward to St Patrick’s day, and then sinned a bit more, out of sheer ‘weakness, negligence and my own deliberate fault’, and don’t deserve a Sunday!! so far I seem to have got away with it, weight-wise, but I often find a binge catches up with me a few days later, rather than immediately, so we’ll see.

No time or privacy at Mum’s even to post here, so I’m rejoining the flock today, and will fast with you, Happy.. Glad everyone else is thriving, and good to be back on board.

Sure is Happy.
    Just spent time, discussing fasting with a guy who was promoting crosstrainers. He wouldn’t believe me that you are more energetic when fasting. It’s these sort of misunderstandings from gym people that have people exercising, but overeating to compensate. What a shame.
    P 🙂

Hi Happy

I am curious that you don’t seem to be doing one fast day a week for health reasons. Is there a reason?

Because my Dad developed Alzheimer’s I am always going to be fasting a minimum of 6:1 for health reasons. In addition if I want a treat, I then will need to fast a second day. I look forward to my fast days, and to that clear light feeling in my body.

Sugar free is a bonus. 😉 Yesterday, I was given a lovely looking home made chocolate nut slice to freeze until I can enjoy a small piece after Easter.

Cheers, Bay 🙂

Hey, Lichtle and Fast

When all the others were eating a pavlova with cream and berries, I had the berries and cream, thanks to you. Delicious. 😉 I will always want the sweet treats, and I can now see just how addictive they are for me. 🙄

Cheers, Bay

Bay, you’re not alone. DH and I had lunch out on Friday, at a supremely good farm shop with a mega-attractive display of homemade cakes -as wholesome as anything cakey can be- just inside the entrance. I managed to bypass them, and enjoyed a really good beef lasagne with very imaginative salads, followed by a small pot of grapes, but couldn’t help noticing how automatically my eyes – and salivary glands – were drawn by them. You’re right: 1 fast day for health reasons – my mum also has Alzheimer’s, as well as obesity and heart problems, and I know enough about diabetes to try to avoid it – and a second to counterbalance any Sunday treats. It will never be easy, but I’m convinced it’s worth it. I’m so glad that what started as a ‘hey, what about if we tried….? ‘has been valuable for you.

Hi Bay,

I’ve been maintaining by eating 16:8 and low/ no refined carbs during the week, with occasional ‘semi-fasts’. I found that I couldn’t do even one quarter TDEE fast per week and maintain my weight (I was dropping 0.5kg with each fast day last year).

It has concerned me that I might not be getting the full health benefits of fasting from my maintenance regime. But I would need to overeat on non-fast days to accommodate fast days, and that hasn’t felt right! IF naturally adjusts portion sizes downwards, so I’d be constantly fighting against that and eating unnatural amounts…

There isn’t a history of Alzheimer’s in the family, just cancers… 🙁

I’m in my mid 40s now, and suspect I will need to alter my maintenance regime as I age (and hit menopause), so I’m pleased in a way that I don’t yet need one or two fast days to maintain…it means I’ve got room to manoeuvre in the future!

I am now reintroducing a proper fast on a Monday, but just need to work out how to not under or overcompensate later in the week! Definitely a work in progress!

A?hat a lovely problem to have, Happy! Happy Monday fast!

Hi FFS,

Yes, what would I worry about if I’d mastered both weight maintenance AND fasting for health.. 🙂

So, fasting today. And possibly again later in the week. We will be socializing and eating out next weekend, so I should probably do two fast days this week in preparation…

Hope you’re recovered from time spent with your Mum?

I agree, vigilance and weighing regularly is really the key to maintaining. Even if we don’t throw in a fast day immediately, it registers and we subconsciously adjust our eating. Happy, I think if you go into the menopause not having to lose weight is such a bonus. Even if it sometimes seems that maintaining is more difficult, I think it is so much easier. Of course our weight will fluctuate but a couple of pounds are not too difficult to lose.

FFS, many mother daughter relationships are “complicated”. Mine has definitely improved as we both got older. However, whenever I discuss diet with my mother, she reprimants me for not having breakfast or for fasting, because she eats about 6 small meals a day and is not overweight. But I got her to finally see that due to the fact that she was and still is ill very often she goes through spells of enforced fasting (she can’t face any food for days) and loses all the weight she has gained in the meantime. Looking at it from that angle I am glad I have my health and rather do “voluntary” fasting.

FFS and Bay, there is no way that I will ever not like sweet food (especially anything fruity), the hardest for me is not to finish off my bread and cheese snack/breakfast with a piece of bread and jam. It is such a habit that it is like listening to a piece of music and not getting the final note that rounds of the piece of music. So I’d rather not eat bread at all. My Sunday exemption, I am afraid to say, started on Saturday evening :-((. I went over the top yesterday (savoury and sweet) and as you can imagine, I am fasting today, too. Good luck everyone.

Hi Lichtle,

I do wonder what my Mum would make of this if she was still alive, particularly since Dad has been fasting since last summer also. Would he be doing it if she was still with us? Would she be doing it? She died obese unfortunately, after struggling with her weight for much of her adult life. She didn’t believe in depriving herself and certainly had a sweet tooth…

I must admit to finishing off my eggs and toast breakfast yesterday with some homemade rhubarb and ginger jam. And very nice it was too. I think the eggs overrode the sugar though, as I didn’t end up with cravings later in the day…

Well, that was my fast day ‘lunch break’, a cup of ginger tea and the forum to focus my mind! Roll on tea time, I say!

Happy, I am surprised – do you sometimes crave sugar? I thought you were immune to the sweet stuff. :-))

Hi Lichtle,

No I’m not immune, it just isn’t my weakness!

I don’t have added sugar in my diet on a daily basis, and find it easy to pass by a cake shop or pass on desserts. I happily go weeks, indeed months sometimes, without a sniff of chocolate/ cakes/ biscuits. And there’s lovely homemade jam just sitting in the fridge and pantry uneaten…

However, on the occasions when I do eat sugar there can be times when it sets off a craving for more. I think it depends on the eating around it? So sugar on a empty stomach or with carbs demands more sugar, but with cheese or nuts I get away with it?

There’s a useful formula (which I’ve come across before, but afraid I can’t remember chapter and verse, and anyway you put it so much better, Happy): ‘sugar + protein = less damage than sugar alone’. I seem to recall that it wasn’t just about adding protein to reduce the space for sugar – there was actually a real difference in the way sugar is metabolised when accompanied by protein. Moral: avoid added sugar whenever you can – but if you really must, add some protein to minimise damage’! Sorry to be so vague – perhaps someone else can supply the hard info?

Just remembered: it was to do with alteration of glycemic load and therefore speed with which it enters the bloodstream and resultant insulin production/ levels. Protein is metabolised more slowly than sugar, so slows it all down and lessens glycemic load. So stick to nut chocolate, Lichtle! (Joke)

Hi FFS,

Better nut chocolate than cheese chocolate though!

Cheese AND chocolate (+ a few nuts and an apple) sounds fantastic at the end of the week’s first FD! How has yours been?

Nearer 600 calories than 500, but a fast nonetheless! I held out til mid afternoon, but then had to eat something. A yoghurt and fruit, for a respectable 200 calories. But a bit later I heard noises at the end of the kitchen and went to investigate…and found a sad and lonely piece of cheese in the fridge gently crying my name… Anyway, I’ve finished the day with low cal plain fish and green vegetables.

I’m aiming for a light week, and possibly another fast later in the week, so maybe that was why the cheese slightly sabotaged me today!

Think next year I’ll have to try cheese-free Lent!

How’s your fast been?

Hi gang
    Interesting conversation. Like Happy, I can easily be drawn to sugary foods, but it does tend to be a good pastry (Ah…that German pastry I pass in the city!)….but often I am disappointed that it wasn’t as good as I imagined and I can easily stop at one these days or throw the rest away if it is not up to scratch.

Lichtle, what you said about finishing eating with a sweet food rang a bell with me. My sweet tooth boy (Mr P)has always had to finish a meal with something sweet…jam on toast, a ginger biscuit, a dessert. I have always been disappointed if I have just eaten a delicious savoury food and he suggests dessert. I’d rather savor the taste I enjoy rather than spoil it with sugar. Horses for courses.

These days he doesn’t have breakfast, if his bs is higher, and he normally has berries and plain yoghurt for dessert. Interesting, FFS, that is the protein and sugar combination you mentioned.

We both fasted yesterday. He lost more weight, I stayed at my maintenance level. I don’t know why. Perhaps the difference is the sugar he eats on normal days that is not in my diet. On fast days he has none.

I was remembering a time, about a year ago, when I was feeling quite depressed about all the lovely foods I would not be able to fit into my daily eating allowance. The reality of how little I require to survive hit home and this girl, who loves cooking and eating, saw a very dim future
    Since then, I have obviously adjusted. I am very careful how much and how often I eat, but I really make sure that everything I eat is excellent. I try to never consume something just because it is there. It works. Quality, not quantity.

The sun has risen with a gorgeous pink sky to the east and bright sun hitting the tall gums, set against dark grey clouds to the north. Isn’t it great to be alive?
    Cheers P

We crossed posts Happy.
    I understand the calling cheese completely! That’s why I went cold turkey on cheese in 2013. I slowly re-introduced parmesan, used sparingly after about 6 months. When we reached goal, 12 months ago, I took up buying other cheeses again. They kept going mouldy in the fridge as we had cured ourselves of the need to add it to everything. I have a blue sitting in there now, I used a little in a stuffed mushroom last weekend, but I’m afraid it will be binned soon. In the past, we would have had a whole packet of crackers and most of a block of cheese as a pre-dinner snack during the weekend. Oh, and a bottle of wine. 😉 Even on week nights, I’d have biscuits and cheese, with a glass of red, as I cooked dinner in the bad old days..

Habits can be changed. Life can still be full of lovely foods. Just without the weight! P

Hi P,

I have dramatically reduced my cheese consumption over the last year, and don’t eat it every day now, but there is always cheese in the fridge. Feta and halloumi are meat substitutes, and cheddar is OH’s go to cheese… I can’t see that changing. I’ve had a love affair with cheese for 40 years, I’m holding on for our golden anniversary!

I know what you mean about the reduced calories, and the reduced opportunities for eating. I had that same depressed moment! I think cutting out/down refined carbs frees up calories though, and you can still pretty much enjoy everything…just in incy wincy portions!

Glad to hear your weather’s good. We’re in a run of lovely sunny days here, but bloomin cold still!

P, I so agree with the ‘quality, not quantity’ mantra: I frequently take 1 bite of something (not, of course, if I’ve cooked it!) and discard the rest as ‘not worth the calories’. It used to go against the grain for a woman brought up on ‘waste not, want not’, but these days I try to think of calories as I do money – you get what you pay for, and when it’s scarce, all the more reason to make sure you spend every penny or calorie on something wonderful. I’ve learned not to buy a piece of clothing unless it makes me look and feel fantastic – I’m learning to treat food the same way.

A good fast day today, Happy – within 500 Cals, and a hard hour of Pilates ( with the dreaded toning circles) to use a few of them, Now that my weight has dropped, my fasting Cals should be nearer 350, but I’m not often up (or down?) to that. But 500 seems to keep me to maintenance weight, and hopefully doesn’t compromise health benefits, so I’m content.

Agree with you both about cheese: it does have a penetrating and persuasive voice, doesn’t it? I too have only just gone back to buying it, and -apart from fancy cheese bought for guests – the everyday stuff gets grated and stored in freezer. Probably heresy, but we eat less of it that way!

Intersting conversation re cheese. I do love cheese but ony with a piece of fresh bread and in moderation.

I am pleasantly surprised at the sugar – protein fact which has given me an idea how I can incorporate this into my sugar days. I love Quark (a very low fat cheese) which I tend to whip to a creamy consistency with a bit of water and a tablespoon of cream. Normally I add herbs and salt and eat it with a boiled potato but it also tastes very nice with some fruit or jam stirred into. That definitely seems to be a less addictive option.

Off to bed after a 24 hr fast. Would probably have managed not to eat at all as I was not feeling too hungry until I came home where DH had cooked some fish and vegetables which were just sitting there and suddenly I HAD to eat (though not the potatoes). I don’t think I went over 500cals.

It was bizarre, how I wasn’t hungry at all today but yesterday I ate and ate and never really felt satisfied It was more of an effort not to keep eating yesterday than not to eat at all today. It is fascinating how every day feels so different. I can never predict how my eating/not eating pans out. That is the most surprising part of maintenance for me.

Hi Lichtle,

Good work on the fast.

I find the same as you, some days you have to force yourself to eat, some days you have to force yourself to stop! I’m not sure if there’s a particular thing I’m craving on those days, and I can’t now remember if it happened this way pre-5:2. It seems though that perhaps pre-5:2 the ‘background noise’ of constant food masked a lot of what really goes on with nutrition and hunger?

Post fast this morning and had to rush out to an appointment…50 minutes in peak hour traffic! I would normally skip breakfast but…looked in the freezer and found a slice of banana bread that’s been there since December. Toasted with butter, cup of black coffee as a picnic in the car. Anything THAT good CAN’T be bad for you, can it? 😉 Certainly made the traffic easier to cope with!
    I always have grated cheddar in the freezer ffs. Started it years ago to stop the kids demolishing all the cheese! Great if you need some for cooking. P 🙂

Gosh Happy, I know some people claim vegetables scream as they are pulled out of the ground, but your food sounds deafening!
    You are right, though, fasting gives one pause for thought. A time to step back and assess what is being consumed. 🙂

Oh P, now that’s just cruel at the end of a fast day! I think I may be drooling… Lucky I haven’t got any ripe bananas in the house or I’d be tempted to get out of bed and bake some banana bread myself 🙂

P, your cheese strategy started the same way as mine did – kids! You reminded me of the time I got home from work at 3am on Christmas Day to find DS no 1 had come home from the pub somewhat tanked, eaten all the cheese I’d bought for the family party on Boxing Day and slipped into a deep sleep NOT his grandest moment – but one of the best-remembered by all his loved ones!

Ha ha! What a thought. I hear voices! It’s cheese, nuts, carrots, hummus, peppers, tomatoes, eggs, bacon… they’re all calling to me… Arrggghhh, I can’t hear myself think..

FFS, that is just such a man thing though isn’t it? Tanked or not, to eat ALL of something! You or I would wonder if this foodstuff, especially at a time like Christmas, was bought for a particular purpose. And we would also think, I won’t eat it all, because someone else might want some. And if there wasn’t much to begin with, we would probably decide not to have any because there wasn’t much… Oh to think (or not 🙂 ) like a man…

….I have some bananas… 🙁 and I’m still up…

Viewing 50 posts - 3,501 through 3,550 (of 11,673 total)

You must be logged in to reply.