The Maintenance Chatbox… come and share your success with us!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight maintenance
The Maintenance Chatbox… come and share your success with us!

This topic contains 11,627 replies, has 174 voices, and was last updated by  hermajtomomi 7 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 3,551 through 3,600 (of 11,673 total)

• H, I’m not proud of the fact that I was so furious I took the minute smear of cream cheese on cling film which was the only bit left and woke him by rubbing it onto his face, asking why he didn’t take the lot!! But I have to say that, 20 years later, this is the now 43 year old who cooked me such a fabulous lunch on Mothering Sunday. So there is hope!

Don’t do it, Lichtle!

I’m off to bed: this conversation is endangering my fast. Goodnight all!

I’m at the BIG shopping centre…so many gourmet food outlets…and, of course, having had a sugar/carb hit, it is going to take a lot of steely determination not to try something. And it’s only morning tea time. πŸ™ Curse that banana bread!!! πŸ™‚

Hi Happy

Those voices are calling you to highly nutritious food. Isn’t it great to have?

Cheers, Bay πŸ™‚

Hi Bay
    My voices kept calling me to savoury after eating the sugar for breakfast. I resisted all the shops, then found a couple of pieces of homemade spelt pizza in the freezer. Absolutely perfect. I had no trouble at all fasting yesterday, but today I am starving. This is very rare for me, the day after a fast. Ah well. I think I’m mature enough to listen to my body. πŸ˜† P

Hi Purple

Great to listen to your body if it’s asking for nutritious food. Well done. πŸ™„ Think I’ll have to wash the floor to keep busy and out of the fridge, and in between listening to the Kiwi v South Africa cricket match. I’m cheering for Barata’s team. Until they meet ours πŸ˜‰

Cheers, Bay πŸ™‚

Of course. As I said to Wiwi from the fast tracker thread, we Aussies and Kiwis are like siblings. Compete like mad, but band together when there is an external opposition πŸ˜†
    I really had better get more of the windows and venetians cleaned. Better than eating! P

I just went to the kitchen, and someone had left out a packet of Tim-tams. One less in the packet, now, I’m afraid. Didn’t like it that much, note to self, don’t do it!

Sisters!! πŸ™‚

Bin them, Barata! They are simply not worth it!!!
    P πŸ™‚

Oh, I know, P. Not my kitchen (at work). Publicly promise not to do it again! πŸ™‚

Well I didn’t get up in the night to bake banana bread, although I did Google recipes before I went to sleep, and idly wondered what I could do to a bunch of barely ripe bananas to make them banana bread ready.

Glad I didn’t, as this morning I’m 59.2 (from 60 yesterday). Some of that will be weekend water weight I know, but hopefully a smidgen will be fat. Think I may try and consolidate today with at least a semi-fast. Although I’m a bit peckish already πŸ™‚

P, funny that you had a hungry day. Was that all the fault of the banana bread do you think?

Bay, yes, in the old days the food that called to me would have included crisps, cakes and chocolates!

Barata, what are tim-tams?

Goodness Happy, don’t you know about whacking bananas in the microwave to “ripen” them for cooking? You obviously not desperate enough πŸ˜‰

After the pizza, I didn’t eat again until just now…dinner. A carb free beef casserole full of all the veg I could find. Masses! Mr P complained when I said we don’t need dessert!!! He pointed out that 65kg and excellent bloodsugar meant he deserves it! He made us each a bowl of cranberries, yoghurt and almonds. Dear boy. πŸ˜‰ P

But does that just soften them for cooking, or does it also ripen them? Thinking about flavour, and only eating something if it’s worth eating!

Funny that Mr P overruled you on dessert,deciding that not only did he need dessert but you did too πŸ™‚

Yes. It works well with under ripe ‘nanas. I used to make banana cakes commercially in a former life (for cafes). I usually bought cheap overripe ones and froze them. Keep forever!
    Naughty Mr P! As he sat down with coffee, just now, he was nibbling a ginger biscuit! I started harranging hom and he just smiled. Humppphhhh!

Happy, Tim-tams are biscuits, a chocolate indulgence. Unfortunately most of our biscuits are Australian now; producers in a bigger market have economies of scale to come in and take over our producers / put them out of business. This has happened in so many lines, much of our retail is Aussie as well, we do try to support NZ retailers and manufacturers where we can.

P, let the poor boy have his sweets. It sounds as though he is thoroughly in control of his appetite and BS. And the little you eat won’t be a serious setback for you.

Anxious times with the cricket!!

Obviously doing Masterful! Don’t you just love it? I found an open cup of bran flakes on the kitchen worktop when we came down this morning – obviously been there all night. DH swore blind he’d left them there overnight to go stale because ‘I like them that way’. I notice they’ve now been discreetly cling filmed, and he’s just admitted that he put them out for a sneaky supper (to be eaten while I was in the bath) last night, and then forgot them. Can’t have been that hungry!

Re bananas, I have a friend who brings me whole bunches when she has bought too many and they’ve gone what she calls rotten. Nothing will convince her that they’re just perfectly ripe, so my freezer is often full of frozen bananas and banana bread. Her loss!

Barata, you didn’t mention that the common belief is if you shake Timtams they have no calories!!
    Ffs, my dad was raised on a banana plantation and would only eat rotten bananas. P

Perfect! Thanks for that vindication. Did I mention that I also like grapes at the point where they start to shrivel? ( and then again when they’ve fermented and jumped into a. bottle…)

Ps I should have said, the banana donor does often get given a loaf!

Barata

Fantastic result in the cricket. Now for the next match. πŸ™„

I don’t know what the labelling laws in NZ are like for country of food. We are having debates about our labelling laws. Tim tams are made by Arnotts, that is now owned by an American company. You have to buy home made or equivalent here from a bakery to be sure to buy 100% Local.

Cheers, Bay πŸ™‚

Oh, didn’t know that Arnotts were no longer Australian. Our labelling laws are not as informative as yours, I understand. When you get things like ham ‘made from local and imported ingredients’ you know that the water has been added locally. πŸ™

Barata, hardly anything is owned/manufactured in Australia any more πŸ™
    As someone who has boycotted NestlΓ© for 40 years, it is becoming harder and harder as they take over everything πŸ™
    Lucky we avoid most processed foods. P

Another Nestle boycotter: welcome, Sister! Me too, also for 40 years – but as you say, it gets harder as they take over the world (and as they convince credulous people that they now behave themselves and the boycott is no longer necessary.). I thought I was the only one left – (boycotter, that is, not credulous person!) : I’m so glad to have found another one, and that it’s you, P!

Hey ffs (sister) πŸ™‚
    You’ll love this story, then….
    We were on a plane recently when Mr P and I realised we were surrounded by women who all worked for the same company. I finally asked them…They worked for Nestle!!
    Mr P gave me a warning look, knowing I would say something.
    I waited until almost the end of the trip. During conversation, I asked about the products they sold. They included “formula”. I said “So I suppose none of you would be lactation consultants?” Poor Mr P, he should be used to this.
    I then explained to them about the original boycott and how necessary it still is today (sadly) and how the World Health Organisation is still trying to stop Nestle from their aggressive marketing of breastmilk “alternatives”.
    Like freedom, democracy and weight loss, breastfeeding can never be taken for granted. πŸ™‚ P

The latest wheeze here, P, is the sale and advertising of ‘follow on milks’, with lip-service paid to breastfeeding but babies in the adverts clearly no more than 4-5 months old. Do you have them in Oz? Government advice here is ‘exclusive breastfeeding till 6 months’ – but it’s ALWAYS qualified by ‘but of course we realise that not every woman wants to, or is able to…’
    B*****ks! If you’ll pardon the expression! Not every woman is given effective and empathetic help when she needs it – that’s not the same thing! If she’s honest enough to admit she doesn’t want to do it, I guess that’s between a woman and her baby, but when it’s sabotaged by bad advice, undermining of confidence and cynical commercial interests it makes me SO angry,,,!!

Yes we do have the same appalling products. There is an English group called Baby Milk Action. You are not the only boycotter by a long shot!

You are talking to a breastfeeding counsellor here. A knowledgeable, supportive environment is vital for every new mother. Undermining her confidence by negative, ill-informed comments has tragic results.
    Why do people always want to undermine? They do the same to 5:2ers too!
    I suppose it is because fasting and breastfeeding are both free. No money to be made, so it can’t possibly be ok??? P

I’m another boycotter and past breastfeeder, it’s the best weight loss plan ever. My daughter was outraged and incensed when she received a “gift” of baby stuff from THEM when expecting her first baby, she didn’t ask or sign up for it. Her internet browsing must have given her away… she returned the unwanted gift to sender.

Well trained daughter VM! Well done.
    All my grandkids are/ have been breastfed well into their second years. So few get that benefit these days. P

Gosh it’s a small world! My job for the previous 9 years until I took a package 14 months ago was to promote breastfeeding in South australia. I was employed by dept of health to run a program that aimed to increase the number of breastfed babies in SA and also the duration of breastfeeding. Nestle is a very naughty word in my world lol! Such a shame women don’t fully understand the mechanics of breastfeeding, aren’t supported by the community or health professionals and then still feel bad years later if they tried to breastfeed and weren’t successful. Anyway better not get me on my soapbox! πŸ™‚

Hi Carol
    What’s even more interesting is that we are all also on the Maintenance thread. Breastfeeding has life long effects. Keep up the promotion girls. Future generations still need us πŸ˜‰ P

P, we have more in common than you know. I trained as a breastfeeding counsellor with the national Childbirth Trust in 1974, when my second child was 2, after struggling (but eventually succeeding) to feed no 1 despite appalling lack of knowledge in those caring for me. (Later realised that actually we’d been doing fine – they’d just been a) advocating a pattern of feeding more suited to a baby cow, and b) measuring the results in terms of weight alone, by charts based on formula-fed babies, as most were in 1969/70. ) I later became a tutor, trained, assessed and supported counsellors, and also became an ante-natal teacher, continuing through 2 more pregnancies and finishing only 13 years later when my full-time vocation took over. Happy memories! I do know about BAbymilk Action – was in at the start! – and they still do great work: my quip about ex-boycotters related to another large body I’m part of, which was persuaded to drop a fairly influential boycott by nestles’s assurances that they had changed. I opposed the decision at the time, and continue my own private – but loud! – boycott!! Good to find a like mind! Toxic combination of financial interests and obsession with breasts as purely sexual (and therefore prurience about feeding in public) still going on, I fear… It actually forms a large part of my attitude to dairy foods now – I do love yoghurt, cheese and cream, but try to eat them sparingly as I’m convinced that milk is not only a baby food, but designed to be species-specific. I also grieve for the mothers and babies denied the experience of happy (which is not to say always effortless) breastfeeding for lack of early knowledgeable help.

VM, please give your daughter a massive hug from a stranger (me) – well done!!

And Carol, too! I went to bed last night after my first post wondering if I’d wake up to hate mail and a message from the website to say people had reported my post for prejudice and naughty language. Such a relief!!

Much as I endorse breastfeeding, (and I do, strongly), when my grandson was born he was a very difficult feeder. My daughter tried extremely hard to get him to take the breast (she’s stubborn, he’s the result of two stubborn parents!!!) but once he went for eight hours without accepting it. When he discovered the bottle (she offered this in desperation) nothing else was acceptable to him, absolutely refused to go back to the breast.

From a personal point of view, my surviving two from triplets were in hospital for three months after birth. No way of breastfeeding then (36 years ago), although some mothers were able to supply extra for them to use, and I did my best to express. I felt a failure. But those two were better bonded than the elder, who breast-fed for seven months. So helpful to have options. Once again, breast is best!! πŸ™‚

Hi Barata, thanks for that. I agree options are good for extreme circumstances – I’d settle for formula available on prescription where medically necessary, and after proper help has been exhausted. But I guarantee that would apply far less frequently than mothers are conned into believing!

FFS,

I’m not convinced there’s any benefit to humans (adults particularly) of drinking the milk of another animal.

And when you think about the practice of breeding cows to produce unnaturally large quantities of milk, keeping them constantly pregnant, and weaning calves very very young, just so we can have ALL their udder (breast) milk…. And not to mention what happens to the male calves of dairy cows… Not sure it reflects well on us as a species.

Re: Nestle. I must admit I didn’t know that much about them when I was younger, but my SIL has always been a very vociferous boycotter. Even if we didn’t object to them ourselves, we wouldn’t dare risk her wrath! She’s fierce πŸ™‚

Happy, your arguments are why my youngest is a vegan. πŸ™‚

Great posts here this morning:

As a very young mother in the eighties, I had read enough about breast feeding to make me want to do it whatever and I knew that I was going to meet a lot of discouragement but I wasn’t really prepared to be accused in the hospital by the nurse, that I was cruel and starving my child as I didn’t have enough milk (baby small for date and they weighed her all the time) so they took her away and “topped her up”. I then asked to be released (amidst a lot of tut-tutting) and managed to feed her and two more children for a year – none of them ever saw a bottle.

I did wonder if the nurses where paid a commission when they handed out the goodies.

FFS, I wish I had someone like you as a councellor! πŸ™‚

I totally agree with you. There are definitely cases where breast feeding is not possible and in no way should a mother be made to feel she has failed her child but not until all avenues are exhausted. For some mothers the first days and weeks are very difficult and for me the first month of breast feeding was so excruciatingly painful (sore) that without determination and a belief that this is the best I can do for my child, I could have easily given up. But the other 11 or so months were wonderful.

FFS – sending my daughter a virtual hug from you (she’s in the Canadian Rockies, me inland Australia) along with a photo of the cricket bat OH just got for 4.5 year old grandson…think the bat will be a bit big but he’ll grow into it.

Thanks Barata and Lichtle for sharing your breastfeeding stories. In the years I did breastfeeding counselling, barring medical situations such as yours B, it was virtually always the husband, health “professionals”, or one or both the grandmothers that fed the young mum’s doubt in her own ability to sustain her bub. It is very rare for bf to go smoothly from the beginning. Like everything (including fasting) it takes support, determination, an understanding of the process and the benefits, and time to learn how to master something new. But it is SO worth that effort.
    Like you, ffs, I trained in ’75 after receiving help from our Nursing Mothers Assn (now Aust Breastfeeding Assn). I made life long friends and hopefully helped other women. My dil has carried on the family tradition by also becoming a bf counsellor. She is a wonderful help to the highly stressed new mums in her area. Support groups are wonderful things, as we all know. P

Happy – , yes, yes. Yes – my feelings spot on!!
    DH was a herdsman on a dairy farm when we married – luckily he changed for other reasons before I knew any better, so avoided some real tensions there. But I spent the last 16 years of my full-time working life as vicar of 5 very rural parishes, where one of the main occupations was – wait for it – dairy farming! Loved the people, loved the place, hated their employment. Frequently had to choose (and sometimes got it wrong!) between careful and gentle explanation of my views and biting my lip! I was at least knowledgeable about their way of life, thanks to our early married life, and
    fortunately we all grew to love each other anyway – they were fantastic people. They were good years, but I suspect some of them still remember me as a bit mad….

L – full marks for perseverance and courage! Discharging yourself – impressive!

P – I’d echo your experience, absolutely. How much simpler life would be I’d we were all aware of – and prepared to admit – our underlying motives!

FFS, a bit mad is good. Having returned from Africa, my raising children was also seen as a bit “strange”. We had very few baby paraphernalia like high chairs, buggies, baby baths, disposable nappies etc. A sling or baby cloth and the bike once they were able to sit unaided was my main mode of baby transport. No TV just radio and there was so much time for baby, especially without the fuffing around with baby food. Having very little money was a good motivator to stick to the basics.

Ditto, L. Didn’t know at the time quite how grateful I’d end up being for having been so hard up. Don’t think I could have afforded to formula-feed if I’d wanted to – and anyway I always said I was too lazy…

Just one question, though, friends: I can quite understand why a collection like us ends up on the maintainers’ thread – but how did such an aware and informed and perseverant gang come to need 5:2 in the first place? Answers on a p/c, please…

Hi FFS, Before the age of forty, I never gave weight any thought – din’t own a pair of scales. But in my early forties, my weight slowly started to creep up – not by much but half a pound to a pound a year. (Can I mention that I started a very early menopause at that time) It was enough to make me the “the heaviest” ever every year and I didn’t like it.

I worked out that if I gained only a pound every year I would be quite overweight by the age of 65.

I found a way to slow down, sometimes lose a bit, and maintain my weight for periods of time by doing Food Combining, which I still think is excellent and helped me with my sugar craving because it promotes non-processed, wholemeal foods and only one carb meal a day. But it was difficult to sustain. I just could not stick with it for more than a few months at a time, even though I felt totally brilliant with it. I happen to be partial to the odd pizza, pastry, sandwich not to mention cake or biscuit and off the wagon I fell. The thing is I should have had the 5:2 mentality and given myself off days. Depriving yourself of food you like permanently is hard.

Three years ago I saw the Horizon programme, tried 5:2 and lost all the extra 15lb and I am now the weight I was in my mid thirties and this is where I want to stay. I stopped fasting a couple of times for about six months but always the weight creeps up by about half a pound to a pound a month so that I really want to keep fasting but I am still adjusting and experimenting despite the fact that I have been maintaining for more than half a year. This is where this forum is such a help, thanks ladies.

I think there are very few people who don’t put on weight in their mature years (my aunt is one of those exceptions), the majority needs to find a way of controlling intake somehow and we just happen to find it here.

Morning gang
    Like Lichtle, I gradually gained weight after I hit 40. As I had always been skinny, I didn’t recognise that I was now fat. I presumed everyone gained weight as they aged. All my female relatives had. An immobilising accident and operation in 2013 were the final straw. A quick gain of about 9kg put me into a dangerous weight.
    How did we knowledgeable, informed folk end up on 5:2? Probably because we did not have a supportive environment or the skills to maintain our youthful figures. Once we had those with 5:2, we were able to take control of our lives again. It does take perseverance, as you know, but by doing it we having given ourselves the best gift we possibly could…health and happiness.
    P πŸ™‚

Tough question FFS!

My weight gain was a result of going from cycling 70-100 miles per week, and running 15, to doing nothing except carrying on eating as if I was still exercising! And not forgetting over-carbing… Toast and jam for breakfast, sandwich for lunch, pasta for tea (often with garlic bread)… And I wondered why I was gaining weight!

Why 5:2? Because I knew diets didn’t work (I’d seen Mum yoyo with weightwatchers for a lot of years), and felt powerless to stop the rot. I knew it would take a lifestyle change, but didn’t know what that was until intermittent fasting hit the headlines with the 2012 Horizon programme. And it was definitely the added health benefits that sold it to me.

My weight gain was from going on eating the same amount as in my active middle years, even though I had gone past 50 and had given up running each day. πŸ™„

As soon as I saw that 5:2 was an all or nothing Way of Life, I knew it was for me πŸ˜‰

Cheers, Bay πŸ™‚

FFS, reporting my shame… πŸ™‚ . I was a fat child, comfort ate in a pretty loveless family, it has taken me this long (and 5:2) to unlearn the habits of a lifetime. Plus, restrictions on only some days is such a doable system. As P says, I have taken back control.

My mother provided me with a gym membership when I was finishing college, but life has taught me (and OH) that we don’t lose weight with exercise, we just get fitter.

I lost some weight when I was about forty, using liquid supplements, and have been relatively stable for quite a few years. But had given up on ever losing those last 8 – 10 kgs to bring me to a weight where I would be happy with the person I am.

Aus doing well so far in the cricket.

Thanks, all – sounds as if lots of us have similar stories.

B – tough time, yes; shame, no! Pride, that you’ve come through difficulties and risen above tham, seems a more appropriate response. Sorry if the question stirred up painful memories – here comes a hug, if you’d like it.

Viewing 50 posts - 3,551 through 3,600 (of 11,673 total)

You must be logged in to reply.