The Maintenance Chatbox… come and share your success with us!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight maintenance
The Maintenance Chatbox… come and share your success with us!

This topic contains 11,627 replies, has 174 voices, and was last updated by  hermajtomomi 6 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 3,601 through 3,650 (of 11,673 total)

• Hi Barata,

I was a fat child also, and I agree with you about having to unlearn those childhood habits.

Funnily enough though I stumbled accidentally on intermittent fasting (when I didn’t even know there was a name for it) in my late 20s and early 30s. I finally stopped eating the breakfasts I’d never wanted as a child but was conditioned to eat. Also we were busy then, and skipped meals sometimes depending on circumstances. Indeed, OH was always a natural faster, and would often cook a meal for friends or family, but not eat it himself because he wasn’t hungry (Anyone else would have eaten just to be conventional of course!) That was my slimmest period as an adult, until now. Unfortunately I then unlearnt those new habits and got brainwashed back into 3 meals a day plus snacks!

Now there’s science behind it I see no reason why I can’t stick with it for life this time. The joy of finally being allowed to eat when I’m hungry and not eat when I’m not! And OH, bless him? I no longer hassle him to eat 3 meals a day! He always eats the evening meal, but at weekends I’m no longer hovering over him, sandwich in hand. I now understand his erratic eating is healthy, and the reason why he’s in his 50s with no paunch (yet)!

Hugs are magic, FFS, keep them coming 🙂 🙂

My daughter also ‘discovered’ intermittent fasting. She’s a grazer, eating when hungry and often not, especially after her marriage broke down and she moved in with us with baby. (He’s now serving a long sentence in an Irish jail, not likely ever to be allowed back into NZ. Took us all in with the gift of the gab.) She became very thin, but is now cooking for the new fellow in Sydney, eats healthily. We had a running battle – she was doing most of the cooking while living here, and put far too much salt in her dishes. She often would not eat what she had cooked. I’m too much a creature of habit (til 5:2)

Hi all.
    WELL DONE to you all for your weight loss. I joined eight weeks ago. I weighed 328lbs and became a grandad in January 2015. I’m 42, 6ft 2ins tall so looked a bit fat. Most people thought i was 18 maybe 19 stones but when i told them i was 23 and 1/2 stones they were shocked.I needed to lose weight as i want to see my beautiful grand daughter grow up and that wont happen if i dont do something about it now. I’ve lost 25lbs so far which i’m so happy with. I would like to get to roughly 17 stones and then i would be over the moon. I do find it hard some days especially on fast days as i have a big appetite but i look at the picture on my phone of my beautiful grand daughter and she keeps me going.
    I borrowed the book, read it, bought a copy myself and i am reading it again. Its an eye opener. Very helpful and makes you understand whats its all about.
    GOOD LUCK EVERYONE and take care x

Barata, I think I’d expect nothing less than running battles from mother and daughter living together 🙂 Glad to hear it’s working out for her now, sounds like you’ve all had a bit of a rough ride there.

When I got married I suspect people thought I wasn’t a very good wife! (I don’t see why I should be, given that we were both fulltime scientists but there you go!). Anyway, everyone else’s husbands got fat, while mine didn’t. Clearly I wasn’t ‘looking after him’ properly… Fast forward 20 odd years… He’s slim and healthy, the one’s that got fat have diabetes, high blood pressure, etc… Who was the better wife…?!

Pobster, well done you! Amazing results, you should be proud of what you’ve achieved. At the rate you’re going you’ll be a svelte new you in no time!

Good work, Pobster. You will get to your goal – and then set another, reach for another moon!

Interesting how all the thin words start with S: skinny, svelte, slender, slight, scrawny, slim, shapely, starved, and I know there are some I can’t think of just at the moment.

Of course you are the better wife, Happy. Keep them busy, mine had too much time for beer!

Our early years are such emotionally and physiologically formative years and you have all done well to re-vise your eating habits and belief systems to suit our chanfing bodies.
    I still belief that genes have a lot to answer, too. I have one daughter as thin and tall as a rake and another who is far more curvey and always had/has to watch her weight. both had the same mother/food exposure etc.

Hi Lichtle,

That’s a good point. I am one of three children. One is tall and narrow, wiry, very fit, but struggles to gain weight and doesn’t bulk up with exercise. The other is like me, shorter and bulkier, more readily putting on muscle…and unfortunately fat… and struggles to maintain a healthy weight.

Same parents, same upbringing, nature not nurture?

Hi Barata

Very close cricket match. Sitting here watching the ebb and flow. Have eaten half a packet of crisps and had a curry and a beer. How traditional is that! 😉

Cheers, Bay

PS. Guests tomorrow and Saturday, so better fast on Sunday. 🙄

Happy, is your sister still the wiry one or has it changed with age? Are you the slim one now because you were always aware that you put on weight more easily? Sometimes young, wiry and slim people seem to find it harder to make the transition and realise that mindfulness is in order with age.
    I think Purple and I are in that category. We go through a stage of putting on weight and are quite shocked and a bit helpless that things aren’t as easy as they once were and it takes a bit of time (sometimes a number of years of being overweight) before we admit that we have to adjust to a more restricted way of life.

FFS, you haven’t told us your story. 🙂

Oh and hello to you @pobster30. Well done on your weight loss so far. Keep going, you will find lots of information on this site to help you reach your goal.

Well done, Pobster

You will succeed if you keep looking at your granddaughter. We’ve all got a reason why we’re here on 5:2.

Cheers, Bay 🙂 .

I never recognised I was getting fatter as I had never had to diet. Inherited my skinny dad’s genes. My eldest son has too. Unfortunately that all changed for me 🙁
    My youngest was always a chubby little fella until 16, when he discovered girls, then veganism. He is incredibly thin now. Possibly too thin as he catches every bug going.
    We are definitely the product of our genes and our environment, but have the power to overcome both.
    Family coming to stay tomorrow, so a pretty hectic couple of weeks ahead.
    ‘Night all. P

Ha! Bang to rights, L! Much the same as a lot of others’: tall, skinny kid, despite two short, chubby parents and a food regime which included 3 meals a day of stodge and a house rule of clearing every bit. (Memories of being yelled at for retching on dairy foods , which is interesting, given later developments. I suffer from middle-aged acne, and have recently discovered lots of research linking this with dairy: perhaps my body knew, even then. ) LEft to myself, would have lived entirely on apples!

Early adult weight 8 / 8.5 stone; weight from each of 4 pregnancies lost fairly easily by breastfeeding. I could eat anyone under the table, and not gain. At this periOd, I learned about wholegrains etc and learned to cook (Ma had never taught me, and I was too busy with Latin at school!) so we started eating better – in huge quantities! Lack of money meant basic foods, and walking everywhere.

The rot set in when we got slightly better off and acqUired a car. I’d started paid work, which meant eating to a timetable (I was working 80 hours a week, and rushing to eat between meetings etc) and often grabbing something unhealthy during the day – God forbid missing a meal or feeling a hunger pang! This coincided with early 40s and hormone changes; also DH cooked more than before, and he’s a carb man! I stopped weighing – but when I finally faced up to it, 20 years later, I’d gained 4 stone. Far too much, and too discouraging, to try to get rid of. I did join the gym and lose a few lbs, but nothing dramatic.

Like lots of you, I discovered 5:2 via the Horizon programme, and knew I could do it: I love my food too much to deprive myself 7:7! ,DH and I started together in Lent 2013 (theme emerging!) and I reached goal weight in June 2014. Have since lost a bit more: I shall be 70 this year, and now weigh the same as I did at 20: maintenance range 8st 2lbs – 8st 5lbs. Thank you, 5:2!

Interesting discussion re children and genes. I have three surviving: DD is 45, s hort and curvy, like her grandma – gorgeous, but has to watch her weight constantly. dS1 is short and muscular – constantly active but could easily run to fat it he ever stayed still. DS2 is tall and skinny. I can almost pinpoint each one’s direct genetic inheritance!

That’s me, folks – weight wise, at least. Advice to younger self? Be brave, face up to it and tackle it sooner!

And Pobster, another welcome! You have the best possible motivation : you’ll get there!

Barata – the hardest thing in the world is to watch your child going through pain you can’t remedy for them. Sounds like she’s got a brilliant, supportive Mum, who needs to be proud of her contribution to daughters new start. X

Up until the age of around 20 I was really skinny, in fact at school I got bullied by kids younger than me. I’m now just short of 21st, which may have been a response to getting bullied as I used to notice that the bigger I got the less people picked on me.

It’s probably due to all the 200g milk chocolate bars I have eaten after my tea on an evening though, quite often one every day, sometimes two, and buying a five pack of Double Deckers and not being able to just eat one. My mother was plump with the same chocolate addiction until she developed diabetes, which didn’t stop me.

My next door neighbour died of lung cancer brought on by smoking and her daughter kept on smoking. I used to think she was mad when the example was right in front of her nose, yet I kept eating chocolate even after my mother got diabetes through eating chocolate.

Now is the reckoning.

Not too late, Graham – you wouldn’t be here if you really thought it were…

Stick with us Graham! We KNOW this wol is totally doable and life changing. All the best mate 🙂 Purple

Hi Lichtle,

Sorry about the v delayed response to your question! Siblings are brothers, and it’s pretty much as FFS describes her 3 – one tall and slim (very fit, but wiry), then two shorter and sturdier (one of them being me!). Very different builds and different responses to exercise and calories.

Bay, how do you think you will get away with a fast on Sunday, watching the cricket? Might need something stronger than beer, too! Great the co-hosts have made the final. 🙂

My theory is that our image of ourselves is that which we grew up with. I will always think of myself as fat, as that was how I was when younger. (Hmmm, always? That might be a bit long 🙂 ). And women who were slim when young don’t seem to notice the weight increasing because that’s not their self-image.

Thanks, FFS. I do feel I was wonderful (polishing halo). The number of times I kept my mouth shut when I would have liked to have said something, welcoming the parade of men through the house and then saying goodbye to them, being a second mum to grandson, doing ALL the reading to him, taking him to football and swimming and the playground because she wouldn’t. Don’t get me started… So happy for her now, and the new guy’s lovely. When I ended a message to her with “love to the boys”, and she passed it on he got soppy, so grateful we are so welcoming. Don’t think he has much support etc from his family, but how can we not love a guy who makes her so happy?

Interesting history, FFS, and it must be a most familiar story. At least we have had the 5:2 epiphany!

Great going, Graham. We can all put our pasts behind us and learn better habits.

Hi Barata,

I’m still surprised by my reflection, and by the fact that I can wear size 8 clothes. When I look at myself I see slim arms, a ribcage, etc, but I still see flabby thighs and bum. But how can that be? Size 8 is not large! Either there’s more flab to go or I have body dysmorphia based on 40 odd years of actually having flabby thighs and bum!

Glad to hear that all your hard work with the family has paid off. I hope your daughter appreciates you!

Size 8, Happy? Happy indeed. Now the rest of you needs to catch up 🙂 And it will, given time and a bit of toning exercise. I think I am satisfied with size 10, but may not have stopped yet…

I was a skinny kid and adult until about 50 when I was diagnosed with an underacrive thyroid. One of the symptoms is weight gain. I got the weight under control once the thyroid was stabilised with medication but from then on weight was always a bit of a battle and I never regained that very light weight of my youth. Then when my mum died I just lost all my motivation and weight started creeping slowly on, went up 2 dress sizes. Then I saw the Dr MM program, thought it was a very simple, concise plan and worth a go. I have now become the weight I was in my youth :).

However, brings me to a concern I have at present: I had a hysterectomy five months ago and apparently having you’re ovaries removed can have a negative effect on your thyroid ( no one told me!). So apart from feeling pretty rotten for the past couple of months I have noticed a little weight creeping back on. I said to you Happy just recently we need to be very vigilant as just easing off a little had resulted in some weight gain for me. I now realise I hadn’t slacked off, that’s a symptom of the hypothyroidism and I am so upset that the past 12 months of effort are about to fly out the window! When I first started maintenance I had to be careful not to lose more weight now I find myself almost up to my wiggle weight limit and the weekend hasn’t even started yet! I’ve been to the doctor who just said increase your medication which I did. I’ve now been on higher medication for the past ten days but don’t feel any better. I’m in despair really because no way do I want to go back to being overweight again! Sorry, I know this is all about me! Depression is another symptom! 🙂

@carolann my heart goes out to you but please don’t despair, try to remember how you have managed to overcome your previous obstacles and that you will do so again. It may mean seeing the doctor about the depression, because it causes you to give in/up, lose motivation and that is the last thing you want to experience.

It is hard when you see yourself restricting and wondering how much more you have to do to just stand still. We are all here for you. There is a bunch of of wonderfully supportive ladies here on this forum, so please if you can, tell us and we will try and help you in whatever limited capacity we can. Take care

I’m also in size 8 and have trouble finding small enough clothes now! I’m trying to get a thick jumper for our trip, but even size 8s have big loose bottoms with no band many have a longer back to cover fat rear ends! Huh! I don’t have a big rear end!
    P 🙂

Thanks Lichtle, I am going back to doctor again next week.

I’m the opposite to you Barata, I think of myself as thin and then I catch sight of myself on a shop window and think “who’s that fat B* staring at, oh it’s me!”

Sorry Carol. I have houseguests and missed your post. I do hope between you and your doctor you can stabilize things to once again take control of your life. We are here for you. P 🙂

@carolann that’s good news. Hopefully you will get your energy back and if you feel depressed (not sure if you are already experiencing this) find yourself in a more optimistic frame of mind. Good Luck

Hi Carol,

So sorry to hear you’re struggling at the moment. And no need to apologize!

I’ve just been reading a bit about menopause/ perimenopause, because I’m pretty ignorant but can’t ignore the fact that at soon to be 46 it might not be long away!

Apologies, as I don’t whether you had already been through the menopause, but the symptoms you describe (thyroid, weight gain, feelings of despair, depression) appear fairly common and do resolve with time (and medication for the thyroid…).

Hoprfully it will be some comfort that there are ladies here who have been through it and come out the other side and are back sylph-like again. So this should just be a temporary blip for you rather than a slippery slope.

It does sound as though you may need to hassle your doctor to get the support you need. If you can get the thyroid dose right and stabilize your weight, then hopefully you will feel a bit better having gained control of at least one thing.

I’m not sure I’m going to be a lot of help (it’s outside my experience…for now!), but I’m here, as are we all, if you need us.

FatGraham,

Hopefully you’ll start to see SlimGraham staring back at you soon!

Carol ann, my deepest sympathies to add to the rest. As a definitely post-menopausal woman, who had a hysterectomy in 2007 (at age 62) all I can add to the good advice already given is that it does take a while to regain balance after it, so don’t despair, please. I didn’t lose my ovaries, but actually they’d already gone into retirement, so I guess the result is similar – except that your body has effectively been shocked into overnight menopause. This, plus an existing thyroid problem, is quite enough to cause weight gain and depression – but shouldn’t be beyond you and your Dr to sort together. There is light at the end, honest! Please don’t be afraid to nag your Dr: you will regain the progress you’ve made, and more. It just takes time, patience – and the knowledge to know when to wait and when to jump up and down! As others have said, please use us to support you as much as we can – that’s what this forum is for.

Hello fellow lenten challengers. 2 confessions coming up:

1) I had some biscuits yesterday and unable to justify my lack of will power, really. We had visitors and I offered a very posh tin of biscuits. Visitors declined – I ate. 🙁 I may be deluding myself or seek comfort in this complete lack of self control, but I did think they were very sweet, too sweet. “Too sweet” is traditionally not part of my vocabulary.

2) I managed only 1 fast day this week, started well today and had some fruit in the morning and vegetables with dip at lunch time but now DH wants to eat out tonight at his favourite “Indian” restaurant. Difficult!!!

Will try and stay well under TDEE without any sugar this weekend.

Biscuits?!! Lichtie!! Wouldn’t this challenge be boring if it were easy-peasy and none of us ever fell off the wagon? Sometimes what our bodies need short-term -NOW! – differs from what they need long-term – this was designed as an exercise in learning about our addictions and lessening them, not working miracles in 6 weeks. From your ‘too sweet’ verdict it sounds as if you’re realising your tastes have changed, which is brilliant – so perhaps you could ‘re-frame’ what you see as lack of willpower as a valuable affirmation of progress.

Interestingly, I’ve just had a similar (but not as wicked as biscuits, of course!) experience. Since we started the challenge I’ve avoided the breakfast granola I used to eat – it’s not one of the sugary ones – originally chosen to be wholegrain, low in sugar and calories – but I thought it would be a bit cheaty to eat it as it does have a fair bit of dried fruit. Dinner tonight was roast cauliflower, which left DH feeling in need of dessert, which he fixed: raspberries from the freezer, low fat creme fraiche – and a small sprinkle of granola! I decided his feelings were more important than my Challenge – and it was a very small sprinkle! – so I ate it. I found it cloyingly sweet, which I certainly hadn’t expected. So maybe this Challenge is doing more for us than we realise? I caught myself this afternoon thinking ‘only 10 more days’, (which I don’t think is quite the spirit of the thing!) so while it would be wonderful to find I really don’t fancy an Easter egg, I’ll settle for a smaller, or less sweet one, and making it last!

Come on, Girls: one last heave – we’re nearly there!! Sunday off in 36 hours’ time, then just one more week, and I think we might surprise ourselves!!

In the reputed words of Queen Elizabeth 1, (well, almost!) ‘we have quite forgot the biscuits’.

Now that is the position I am in. I don’t have added sugar daily (and sometimes not weekly), so when I do, and depending on what it is, it is often disgustingly sweet.

The problem is that if you ‘work’ at it, i.e. keep eating sweet things, then very soon what you thought was too sweet is once again just perfect and very moreish!

My advice (unsolicited I know!) would be to try and carry the Lent mentality forward, perhaps relax it to 2 treat days per week if needbe, but don’t give yourself permission to eat treats every day!

Good advice Happy.
    Incredible, the chocolate bombardment in the shops at this time of the year 😉 P

Thanks, girls for your understanding. The annoying thing is that it wasn’t really that great, not good enough to break a challenge, that’s for sure. 🙂 and is probably the reason why it didn’t end in a “what the heck”.. binge.

Happy, I will certainly do exactly as you mentioned: One or two days a week “permission to eat sweet” in the hope that my taste buds really do get more sensitive to the sweet taste and recognise it as a treat rather than a food that is deliciously sweet and also that I get more discerning Re “choice” of sweet treat.

@happy, I look forward to be able to say: “disgustingly sweet” :-).

…and some of those chocolate bunnies look horribly fierce, P…..

Yes, Happy, good advice: I’d already decided on that as a continuing strategy. But this has been a really useful exercise in understanding when and why the urge for sugar arises. For me, it’s always mid-afternoon – the rest of the time I can actually take it or leave it. The PT at the gym suggested the answer could be more protein at lunchtime; I do find that works, but these days I prefer lunch to be something really light, like an apple, so I’m taking a leaf from your book and trying out adding a few nuts, for protein. I’ll keep you posted!

Thanks for the words of encouragement everyone. I am not going to give up. I will see the doctor next week, fast as normal, think I’ll go back to two days instead of my maintenance one day. I just couldn’t bear all the work of the past 12 months to go to waste!

Lichtle re biscuits – I dont k ow how it’s happened but I have lost a lot of my sweet tooth cravings. For example, if I was out and saw cake I would almost start drooling :)! If I had coffee with someone I would ALWAYS have cake. Recently I have found I am not attracted to sweet things in the same way and my brain is having a very hard time comprehending that! Eating sweet things has been a habit for so many years that when I don’t feel the craving now it’s like my brain is saying to me ‘that can’t be right, you always have the sweet things’, and it’s really disconcerting. Sometimes I do have something small, just because that is what I (traditionally) would always do! So crazy! Trying to break a habit is very challenging especially when you are being sabotaged by your own brain lol!

Hi Carol, Thinking of you. Bay

Happy
    Already on my twice a week treat, using fresh fruit as my treat. I had half a pear the other day, and wow was that super sweet. I couldn’t eat more than a half of the pear. Yesterday, my treat was six beautiful fresh ripe Australian raspberries. They tasted deliciously sweet. Also raw Brazil nuts are quite sweet and very tasty. I keep them in a container in the fridge for maximum freshness.

I have every intention of allowing myself one tiny dark chocolate treat per week after Easter. But that’s it. I will have to see if that is enough to get me addicted again. I haven’t even wanted to break the Lenten sugar free period because the sugar detox was so horrible.
    It’s that all or nothing temperament all over again. 😉

Cheers, Bay

Hi Lichtle and Fast

I am not trying to be holier than thou over this sugar free challenge. I am very worried that in the future I will reach for the sweet stuff every time I’m under stress. Pattern of the past. And then I will find myself addicted all over again. 😉 better to have no sweet stuff at all than to go back there again. It’s not about weight. I’m still the same weight as I’ve been for 8 months. It’s about the health aspect, dementia, cholesterol etc.

Cheers, Bay 🙂

No worries St Bay

I don’t know what is happening here it has only posted the beginning of my post and would not let me edit it.

I was saying. No worries St Bay we love to hear how great you feel and I am sure you could go through withdrawels all over again.

There is some weird stuff going on with the posting here. It just does not post everything. I think it was the tablet emoticon that is to blame.

So pleased Bay that it works so well for you. Keep it up I need your inspiration.

I haven’t lost any weight (500g) and I don’t feel any different but I want to eat healthier as I age with an ever decreasing TDEE. I am sure you will all agree that 500cals as in 100g chocolate, has a whole different association for us at the end of a good fast day….oh what wonderfully delicious and filling food can still be had.

Hi everyone
    Its very encouraging to read all your maintenance posts.
    I have been 5:2ing since July last year. This is my second attempt at the 5:2 after a accident 5 months earlier brought my first attempt to a shattering end. So I have a bit of experience there about coming off the 5: without a maintenance plan. On my first 5:2 diet (before the accident) I dropped 8 kilos. After the accident I chose to come off the diet because the pain killers made life far too difficult to fast as well (I broke a lot of bones and had extensive nerve damage). So low and behold within 5 months I put 6 kilos straight back on again and was well on my way to start weight 96 of kilos.
    So I can assure you coming off the diet without a plan is not a good idea.
    Anyway, I as I said above since July I have been 5:2ing and got back down to 83 kilos. There has been a plateau along the way but some how I managed to push through it with lots of exercise.
    I have now decided this week to go on the maintenance diet as the 5:2 was getting very hard and I found myself over compensating on my 5 days and topping up too much.
    What I have decided to do is go on a 6:1 and also be much more vigilant about what i eat on my 6 days. I hope this will stop me trying to compensate. I have also found some new information that has convinced me to drop back my bread intake and be more carb conscious. Basically the plan is to improve my diet on my non fast days (or be more careful) and then fast on one of the weekend days depending on whats on.
    Please wish me well as I enter this new territory. I will check in here more often and share how i go.
    Keep up the good work folks!

Hi jujum, I certainly wish you well! I am doing 6:1 as my maintenance plan and I find it pretty easy to stay below my TDEE on the other days during the week. On the weekend there’s a bit of a blowout but I always fast Monday’s and that brings it back down again. Best of luck with it!

On that note, it seems I don’t have to stick my head in the gas oven this week (:)) as I was 200g below my top weight when I got on the scales this morning. I feel much better today than I have for weeks so hopefully medication has started to kick in! Yay!

Great news, Carol and hopefully when you see the doctor, he will have some treatments or advise for you.

Jujum, hello and good luck to you from me. It is always good to re-assess where have difficulties and try different tactics. No week on 5:2 are ever the same for me and I am still experimenting, too.

Viewing 50 posts - 3,601 through 3,650 (of 11,673 total)

You must be logged in to reply.