The Maintenance Chatbox… come and share your success with us!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight maintenance
The Maintenance Chatbox… come and share your success with us!

This topic contains 11,627 replies, has 174 voices, and was last updated by  hermajtomomi 7 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 7,151 through 7,200 (of 11,673 total)

• Yes, P, that’s an unfortunate truth, that if you follow TDEE theory it needs to reduce as you do. πŸ™ Obviously you are feeling better. πŸ™‚

A fact, Barata, that many don’t seem to understand. Glad to hear your OH is having a go at 5:2 as well. 😊 P

Hi P,

It would be interesting to know what you would have burnt ‘on charge’ for comparison with your active burn.

A few years ago, reading a running magazine, I came across an article which said you could expect to burn roughly 100 calories per mile (1.6km, 1760 yards πŸ™‚ ), but that doing nothing for the same amount of time would burn 75 calories.

Doing nothing for 40 minutes is considerably easier than running for 30 πŸ™‚

πŸ™‚

Hi lovely maintainers,

I’m reading GUT by Giulia Enders and it is a must read for us all. Her subtitle says it all. “The inside story of our body’s most under-rated organ.” She is explaining how it all happens in attractive and happy English.
    I bought it from booktopia.com.au.

I am reading a part that says roughly,
    Chubby people have bacteria that are more efficient and extract more calories from food, plus they are more efficient at breaking down carbs. Woohoo! All that we knew or guessed is being proven through scientific studies.

Cheers, Bay 🌺🌺🌺

Doesn’t work that way, Happy…my Misfit never needs charging 😊
    After another 4km walk, I’m up to 1664 cals. Probably doesn’t justify the burrito and churros I HAD to eat πŸ˜†πŸ˜†
    Bay, I just love the way science is catching up with us. ☺ P

I’m with you happy, doing nothing for 40 minutes appeals to me lol!

Brilliant result bay! 😊

Interested in having a look at that book Bay.

I’ve always recommended reading a book for exercise. But it backfired in highschool when my nose was broken by a six stitcher (cricket ball) whilst lying in the playground reading!!! 😊

Perhaps the connection between exercise and book is a bit tenuous, P? πŸ™‚ Everything in moderation. There are some great Aussie authors I am enjoying currently. Reading is my great pleasure.

I’m more into early industrial UK novels at present. Great social insight. Have a good reading weekend Barata P

Happy was it you who put the link up about the article on absorption of calories from nuts?

I’ve been scrolling through the back pages trying to find it, to no avail.

If anyone can easily access the link would they mind posting it again please. πŸ™πŸ»

Hi Carolann,

It was indeed me! Nut champion! But I can’t remember precisely which article I linked to ☹️ Anyhow, this is a link which says the same thing πŸ˜€ http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/diet-and-fitness/chew-on-this/why-nuts-dont-make-you-fat-20121125-2a20m.html

Thanks Happy
    Eating nuts most days was one of the big dietary changes we made with 5:2. They add so much flavour and texture to meals.
    Once again….followed a fast with a feast and the weight has dropped. Love this lifestyle. ☺P

Thanks Happy!

Congrats Purple!

This is my first time browsing in the forum. I’m not sure if this is still an active site. However, I am so happy to see the topic. My husband and I have been doing the 5:2 diet for years–maybe since 2012. I lost 30 pounds in the first year and have easily kept it off since then. However, in this last 6 months, the weight seems to be creeping up. About 4-5 pounds up. I haven’t tried 4-3, but am thinking of it. I’m not sure what changed–I think less exercise, though I go to the Y five times a week. But I used to walk more, with my job and for fun. In the past when I have looked at threads, I usually saw people who were just starting out. My interest is in Maintenance and the posts I have read here have been very helpful.

Carolann,

This is another article explaining calorie labelling and how it relates imperfectly to the calories we absorb. Who knows, this may have been the link I posted originally… πŸ˜€
    http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/science-reveals-why-calorie-counts-are-all-wrong/

Hiker,

Greetings! Yes, we are still active (not dead yet, still maintaining πŸ˜€ ).
    Congratulations on your weight loss, mine was roughly 30lbs too but only in 2014.

I can’t really help on regain, although there are a couple of ladies (Purple and Bay, hopefully asleep right now!) who’ve recently talked about complacency long-term and the risk of gradual creep. I’m sure they’ll have something to say when they wake up! The decrease in exercise might account for it though, particularly if you didn’t reduce calories in as calories out declined?

Hi Hiker
    Sorry. I replied last night before I went to bed (Aust time) but it isn’t here! I don’t think I dreamt it.

In short,☺ welcome. We are a happy bunch of maintainers who realise we still need to stick together to keep up this wonderful healthy way of life. Getting to goal is not the end of the journey, just the beginning, isn’t it?

I find my husband and I need to constantly tweek our approach, never let our eyes off the ball. We weigh daily and use this and his blood sugar results (he has reversed his T2D with 5:2) to guide our eating pattern.

2 fasts, at least 10000 steps, many skipped breakfasts, full fat, low carb and lots of healthy homemade food is our basic recipe.

Keep up the good work and join us in our ongoing quest for new ideas.
    Cheers Purple ☺

Good morning all

Just a quick pop-in from a ‘maintainer with continuing loss’ πŸ˜‰

Happy, thanks for the link to the SA article – read it ages ago but had forgotten.

Always seemed logical that we don’t get as many calories from food as the laboratory measures, which used to be (possibly still are?) done in a bomb calorimeter – burning the food to ash and measuring temperature increase.

Have just downloaded ‘The Obesity Code’ by Jason Fung – a quiet Sunday is in prospect reading it while nursing my cold.

Keep up the good work everyone.

Hi Nicky
    I love your description. I’d call you a sticker ☺ You’ve done really well.
    Sorry to hear you are under the weather. Get a spot inside, in the sun and enjoy Jason. I found it a riveting read. I devoted a whole cold weekend to it, even taking notes (what a nerd 😯)
    I hope you feel better soon. P
    Ed: Do you remember us talking about sourdough years ago? I tend to make only 1 loaf every week or so now. Mr P works his way every so slowly through it, but I love to have it for breakfast on the morning I cook it…watm and crunchy!
    Yesterday’s loaf rose for longer…perhaps 18 hours instead of 12…it had a lovely strong, nutty flavour. A great Sunday brunch. ☺

Hi Nicky

I’m reading GUT: the inside story of our body’s most under-rated organ. It is fascinating, and just the thing as we head into Winter with its temptations to munch those unnecessary carbs. I will read The Obesity Code next. I’m also going to take up Amazon’s suggestion and read Brainmaking by David Perlmutter. I need all the mental push I can get to stick to the low carb path through Winter.

Cheers, Bay πŸ™‚

Hiker, Welcome aboard. We sleep at different times, so our responses go in fits and starts. πŸ™‚

Hi Maintainers

Confession time. After my 4:3 was so successful last week, this morning I allowed myself to indulge in a piece of deep dish cherry and custard pie with cream. Yikes!! Haven’t eaten anything like that since Christmas. Boy, will I pay when I weigh myself tomorrow. eek! I loved it and it was so OTT that I won’t have to do it again for another six months.

Until this morning, I had only put on 100 grams over my two feast days, which I count as a great success. Talk about sabotaging a great effort from last week. Feast and famine, Purple!!

I will be back on the 5:2 and low carb wagon from tomorrow, Monday πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

Cheers, Bay

For any newbies to this thread, here is my summary for successful weight loss and maintenance. πŸ™‚

The secret to weight loss and maintenance is eternal vigilance:

Weigh every day and record weight
    Record food intake every day (to establish that you know what your TDEE is)
    Drink 2 litres of water each day
    Eat healthy foods, such as green vegetables, fish, eggs, yogurt, nuts and berries
    Eat very few carbs.
    Eat full fat yogurt
    Eat NO processed food
    Drink very little alcohol
    Eat NO sugar.
    FAST at least 5:2 giving oneself the feast and famine effect.

Therefore, if I indulge myself (which I did this morning) with a piece of cherry pie, I will pay for it with weight gain tomorrow. πŸ™‚ And I will fast zero calories tomorrow. Feast and famine!

It’s a beautiful sunny late Autumn day here with 4C overnight and 19C in the day. Doncha just love it!!

Cheers, Bay πŸ™‚

Good advice Bay, but I cannot agree with point 8!! πŸ˜†πŸ·
    A glass with dinner, 5 nights, plus with lunch occassionally, suits us fine.

Truely stunning weather. I’ve mown the lawns, raked, watered, washed the pool glass, turned over the compost and my fitness monitor claims I’ve only burnt 800 cals. 😯 Feels like 2000 and it’s only 10 to 1!
    Make the most of this autumnal weather. .. although we are desperate for some good rain.
    Cheers P

It started raining here about an hour ago. Outside temp dropped 2oC in 15 minutes. Very pleased that the washing went out early and dry by 11am. πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

Thanks for kind thoughts P. Not exactly at death’s door, just feeling like it. πŸ˜‰

Bay, cherry and custard pie sounds wonderful. Everything in moderation! Your overall recommendations very sound both in theory and robustly tested by large sample.

n xxx

Goodo Nicky…send the rain our way. I’ll give you full weather stat’s when Mr P finishes erecting the new weather station. My old one broke and I miss it 😯 P

Mmm, Bay, that pie sounds delicious!

I’m not allowing myself any sweet ‘treats’ this weekend. I need a period of downwards readjustment. Making something sweet had become a regular weekend habit instead of something I indulged in mindfully and occasionally.

And actually after two fast days this week my appetite is reset, and sugar doesn’t appeal πŸ™‚

Hi Nicky,

Nice to see you here. I’ve always said if you’re not gaining, you’re at least msintaing. All welcome!

Enjoy “the Obesity Code”, Nicky. I thought it excellent, I could get more of the points than when watching the YouTube clips.

No, haven’t seen that article before Happy, thanks for posting!

Nicky, did you purchase The Obesity Code before you were able to download it?

Bay, I don’t think your transgressions sounds too serious. Actually love the sound of the Pie and I would be interested to hear if there was any weight gain or not. I find when I’ve been fasting well I can have a piece of cake without any effect on weight. Mind you, I try not to make it a habit πŸ˜„

Yes, it’s on Kindle or hard copy. I have the kindle one and have followed up some of the references by pasting them into Google.

Just had friends staying, have been on three meals instead of two, plus wine at dinner, and have lost another pound. 5:2 is great!

Hi Carol

I am surprised to find that I am the same weight as yesterday morning. I looked back over my food record for yesterday. I ate breakfast and dinner. The piece of pie at 11 am was my entire meal for the daylight hours. And I painted the trellis, up and down the ladder for an hour, after eating the pie. Energy boost. 😜😜

Finished the day with a small piece of steak, coleslaw and salad for dinner. Cheese and crackers with some wine. 🍷🍷. I’m trying to say that I didn’t starve, but enjoyed my feast day very much.

Fasting today with only a coffee until dinner tonight. β˜•οΈβ˜•οΈ

Cheers, Bay 🌺🌺🌺🌺

PS. I’m guessing that my 4:3 last week set me up to be able to feast over the weekend. πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸ˜³πŸ˜³

Yes that’s what I find too Bay, if you are well set up beforehand the ‘treat’ food doesn’t seem to affect weight.

But I’ve also noticed as you report too that the treat becomes the meal because we find it filling.

I’ve been a bit like Happy the past week or two, indulging in sweet treats on the weekend and during the week regularly instead of occasionally and mindfully. I still find I do a lot of emotional eating. I just have that attitude of ‘blow it, I’m just going to have that cake’ and it’s nearly always cake BTW. The sad thing is quite often I don’t even like the cake, it’s dry or tasteless (I’m buying, not baking myself).

Fasting with you today too Bay and I imagine Purple is also! πŸ˜„ I was over trigger point this morning which just shows how much I have been indulging, haven’t been over trigger point for ages!

Hi
    I posted this and it was sent to me, but did not appear on the thread! Weird!

“Excellent Bay!
    It’s really surprising what we count as a feast these days,isn’t it? Fasts certainly allow that reset of appetite. We had a dinner party last night…ate and drank well, and both of us have come away unscathed. Mr P, on the advice of Dr Fung, has a couple of teaspoons of vinegar before a potentially damaging meal. It seems to keep the blood sugar down. Every little pearl of wisdom is worth trying. 😊
    Monday fast here too. Another sunny day to enjoy and the garden already pristine. Have a good one folks. P”

Hi Carol, like Apricot, I bought the Kindle version of Dr Fung’s book – AUD 12.89 from the Amazon Australian website.

Well done Bay – we can occasionally have our cake/pie and eat it too. πŸ˜‰

Lunchtime here fellow fasters – going out for a walk to get away from the smell of toast wafting through the corridors from the lunch room. πŸ™

P, we had 19mm of rain yesterday afternoon and overnight – clear with some cloud today. Hope you get some of it too.

Hi Nicky
    No rain, but 10kmh winds, branches coming down and REALLY aching joints 😯 Outside humidity only 45%.
    Yes, the weather station is in, but he’s still tweeking it to get it perfect.
    Also going on a food avoiding walk shortly. πŸ˜€P

Hi team

The weather cleared and I painted the trellis. My stomach began some serious growling, so I ate some gently steamed broccoli and spinach with a little cold pressed olive oil and a squeeze of lemon. Great flavours. And a few almonds.

Not doing 24 hour zero fast today after all, because of the carb and sugar treat yesterday. Still aiming to stay under 500 calories today.

Cheers, Bay 🌺🌺🍁🍁

Same Bay. I’ve just had miso soup and 1/3 glass of kefir. 2pm. Still easy to keep low though.
    We are not discouraging you, I hope, Nicky? Right behind you! P ☺

I still haven’t eaten, hanging out for 7pm and bowl of homemade pea and bacon hock soup! Yum! Don’t read that other fasters 😊.

I looked up the calorie content of the soup on my fitness pal and it’s a ‘take your pick choice’! 😬
    178, 200, 125 calories depending on which one you like – I thought I’d go with the mid range. My fitness pal is great but sometimes it’s frustrating!

So far so good P. There’s a sachet of miso soup in my bag but not even tempted today.

No hunger pangs yet – danger time while cooking dinner but usually limit my snack to a bit of carrot, since I would never be tempted by raw pasta. Cheese however …, another story but I measure out my portion before I start the cooking, what I eat while preparing I miss out on later.

Just had my umpteenth cup of black unsweetened tea and only 30′ to home time.

Keep up the good work everyone. n xxx

Well done Carol!!
    The wee bit of kefir fixed me. No hunger now. 😊P
    Ed:
    We crossed over Nicky. Good work. Keep it up ☺☺

Good work fasters (although you were autocorrected to hamsters πŸ™‚ )! I’m with you in spirit… Not fasting, but determined to have a sensible mindful non-fast day.

A couple of interesting UK stories this morning.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-36345768

The National Obesity Forum suggests eating fat is good for us. Sadly Public Health England aren’t going to be changing dietary guidelines any time soon… πŸ™‚

But look! PHE not entirely independent of the food and drink industry…

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/healthy-eating-public-health-england-graphic-eatwell-guide-food-and-drinks-industry-a7042251.html

Apparently their ‘experts’ say the guidelines are sound, people just aren’t sticking to them…

Hampsters Happy? What, running around, going nowhere, in an exercise wheel? 😯😯😯 P

Well definitely not stuffing your pouches with food for later!!

Oh silly me, I’ve got it all wrong. We are not maintaining at our healthy weight and he has not reversed his Diabetes. We should have been smoking e-cigs and woofing down the carbs! 😯
    Fancy getting healthy eating advice from the food industry or retailers! P

Sadly, while this is all over the news I haven’t been able to find the report itself…

Some great but perhaps less than helpful advice though from the anti-fat brigade…

Prof John Wass, the Royal College of Physicians’ special adviser on obesity, was quoted as saying β€œWhat is needed is a balanced diet, regular physical activity and a normal healthy weight.”

No sh*t Sherlock πŸ™‚

Genius!

I love it when people state the obvious like that, such rubbish! Though it’s often because they’re backed against a wall with journalists snapping at their knees.

I had a longish series of exchanges with the people doing the NHS website, objecting to them referencing the PrediMed Spanish research (which found that the low carb Mediterranean style diet was best), then recommending not the diet that came out best but the high carb control diet! Crass. I asked them if they understood what a “control” was in scientific research, and why they had referenced the research then ignored the findings. They just kept replying that it was all correct, so I gave up.

I was pleased when Michael Mosley said the same thing in that excellent interview with Kate somebody a few weeks ago, showed I wasn’t imagining it.

FD today, only 9.30 am in UK, but I’ve got a cold so will take all lightly today. Was supposed to audition for a choir tomorrow but clearly that’s off. What a pain!

All the best Apricot.
    We’ve just eaten our fast meal, early (it’s 6.38pm here). Wonderful how good that food is!
    The temp is plummeting tonight…about time, we are less than a month from the shortest day! P

Viewing 50 posts - 7,151 through 7,200 (of 11,673 total)

You must be logged in to reply.