So far, so good…

This topic contains 58 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Jaded13 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 60 total)

• I wanted to record my story so far.
    I stumbled upon this forum completely by accident (or maybe divine intervention…?) I spent the day reading tons of posts on the variations of fasting that people were doing. Some people mentioned that eating at night opened the flood gates and they couldn’t stop at just 500 calories. They wrote that water fasting was easier for them. I started wondering if a full day water fast was even possible for me, so I decided to try one on January 23, 2017. I’m 5’6″ and was 210 lbs. To my surprise, I felt great. So I kept going, initially doing ADF. I lost about 5 lbs that first week. I think I managed to complete 2 weeks with ADF and water fasting, and lost 3 more pounds. I like ADF, but I was finding it hard to sustain. So I changed to 4:3, doing water fasts on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. This has been easier for me and I dropped to 196.5 lbs on February 25. Since then, the weight loss has plateaued. I’m still sticking with it, which I’ve never said about any other diet I’ve tried. Today is a fast day, so hopefully I’ll have a new weight to post soon.

I think Saturday mornings will be my weigh day. Here are the last few weeks

Feb 25- 196.5
    March 4- 195.8
    March 11- 194.4

I’m thinking about doing another week of ADF, but I’ll have to see how this weekend goes.

I had big plans for this past week to do ADF. Those plans failed. I only did 5:2, but had 2 really good water fasts. I have started walking a lot more, 5 miles a day instead of 3. My weight this morning..

March 18- 193

😉

Hello Jaded 13, you are doing very well and I wanted to wish you good luck on your journey. I do 5:2 since November and have lost 8 kg. I have only 6kg to lose until my ideal weight, but it does get more difficult the lower you get with the platoes and holding myself back on non fast days.
    I eat twice a day, two meals of 250kcal each. I eat big volumes of low kcal foods, so that I feel full for a resonate time.
    What is ADF?

Hi Poggy Vegan! ADF is alternate day fasting. It’s easier for me to stay motivated when I keep seeing my weight go down. I start out my week aiming to do ADF, but if life happens and I can only do 2 fasts, then I’m still on track. I’ve still got plenty of weight to lose. I’m not looking forward to the time when weight loss slows down, but at least I will be close to goal. Congrats on your success! I love this way of eating.

Thanks,I do struggle a bit with the abreviations.

Do you still do waterfasts? I find I can not do that and work better with two meals of 250kcal each. Perhaps when you have a lot to loose water fasting works well. Just remember if it gets too tough, you can always resort to 500kcal days.
    You are doing really well, respect.

Thanks Poggy! I love how we can personalise this diet to work for us. There’s so many ideas on the forum to help you if your weight loss stalls. 🙂

Saturday weigh in:

March 25- 191.6
    I’m very happy with my fasts this week. I set a mini goal to have lost 20 lbs by the end of March. Almost there! Planning to fast tomorrow and finish March doing ADF.

Disaster!! I pulled a calf muscle and can barely walk. Arg! I’m so angry about this. Hoping to be walking some time this week.

Also, weekend fast didn’t happen, so last week was a successful 4:3 week. Planning to fast today. Still hoping to meet my goal for March.

Sorry to hear of your mishap, Jaded13. I hope your muscle will heal soon, and I hope you had a good fast day despite it all. Soon you will be up and runing again and carry on with your fasting journey in full strength.

I had a challenging week with meetings and eating together, so I did not loose much but at least I did not gain much either. Today I had a good fast day and hope to get firmly below 58kg.

This week was not as bad as it could have been. My injury is healing, but I don’t want to prolong it by walking too much before it heals. I’ve been trying to increase my steps more each day, but I’m no where near the 5 or 6+ miles I was walking.
    Fasting was a challenge this week as well. I fasted Monday and Friday. The days in between were a bit of a mess. I didn’t meet my goal for March, but I was pleasantly surprised that I didn’t gain.

April 1- 191 lbs

Hoping to be able to walk more next week.

This week went well. I had 3 great fast days. I have steadily increased my walking. There’s very little pain in my calf. I’m taking it easy but I’m back up to at least 5 miles a day. I continue to feel really good eating this way. My energy levels are great.

April 8- 189.8 lbs

A week late on my goal, but finally 20 lbs lighter! Very happy so far.

This week was good. I’m back to walking a lot, 6 or 7 miles and each day. I had 2 water fasts Monday and Wednesday. We have guests this weekend, so I’m hoping to stay in control of my eating habits.

April 15- 188.2 lbs

This past week was a challenge. I only managed 1 water fast on Monday, and Thursday’s fast ended with pizza. So not too surprised to see a gain. I’m getting right back on track with a water fast today. I really need to do ADF for a while and get motivated again.

April 22- 191 lbs

I am setting a new mini goal of 185 lbs by May 27. 🙂

This week was pretty good. I didn’t end up fasting on Saturday, but Monday and Wednesday were water fast days. Friday was almost a fast day. I keep trying to go back to ADF, but it is very hard to do. Cooking meals for my family makes it difficult to fast every other day. Maybe next week…

Week 14- 187.2 lbs

Almost 23 pounds lost since my first fast on January 23rd. At least my weight is still moving downward. Hoping to lose more than 2.2 lbs by May 27. I think it will happen.

Hi Everyone,
    I find that i can easily do the 5:2 days i chose Monday and Thursday as my FD”s, on the fast days i eat one boiled egg for breakfast and have the rest of my 500 calories for dinner & just drink lots of water through the day. I started at 74.6kg now 5 weeks on i am 69.3kg(total loss 5.3kg), its going slow now though, but i love this diet its great and its a way of life that i know i can maintain.
    GOODLUCK EVERYONE 🙂

OK, so the last few weeks have been annoying. I’ve kept up 4:3 instead of ADF. My weight has not been changing besides going up. I’m sticking with it though. I feel like I’m losing fat and gaining muscle. I hope that’s what’s happening.

I still really love this plan. Even though the scale isn’t moving, I haven’t thought about abandoning it. I keep going and hope for changes I can see.
    I have wanted to go back to ADF, but it’s hard for me to fast on the weekend. At least I have a solid habit doing 3 fast days per week. With Mother’s Day this Sunday, I doubt I will be fasting.

I am unsure at this point if I will get to 185 lbs in 2 weeks.

Fasting has been difficult for me lately. I am going on vacation next week and I think my determination is already on holiday. I am still planning to fast this week, but I’m not going to stress about it if I only manage 1 or 2 fasts. I will be back in June.

Jaded13, you’re doing great! Just eat mindfully on vacation and you might stay the same. Have a wonderful time!

Thank you CalifDreamer!

Vacation was fantastic! I gained weight, but my pants still fit right.. So not sure what’s happened. I’m fasting today. It’s going better than I thought it would. I think my focus is back.

I’ve been reading Jason Fung’s Obesity Code. He communicates information so well.

I’ll weigh in Saturday after a few fasts and see where I’m at.

Jaded, if your pants still fit right your body has probably not put those pounds back permanently. So get rid of them now! So glad you had a nice vacation and can now look forward to some weeks of weight loss.

That’s what I was hoping CalifDreamer. I’m pretty sure you’re right. 😉

The week went pretty well. I fasted Monday, half of Wednesday, and FINALLY managed a water fast on Friday.
    Before I left for Vacation, my weight had crept back up to around 193 lbs. That gain was predominantly caused by drinking lots of alcohol. On vacation (in Ireland) there was even more drinking. My weight climbed up to 201 lbs. So, now that I’m home, I’ve been back on the wagon. And it’s definitely helped me control my fasts.

Week 22- 196.8 lbs

I’m very happy to see that number so soon. I still think some of the vacation weight gain was muscle, because we walked everywhere. Anyhow, I’m back to being motivated. Yay!

For whatever reason, my motivation was non existent for week 23. I think I managed a 500 calorie fast one day, and a couple of 16/8 days. I was just having a rough time. That Friday I switched to LCHF and quit sugar, grains, starches. I was already gluten free, so quitting other grains too hard. I miss potatoes, but I feel really good so it’s worth it.
    The other neat thing that I noticed was yesterday, I wasn’t hungry in the morning. I ate lunch, but wasn’t hungry for dinner. This morning, I still wasn’t hungry until lunch. I’m not sure I’ll be hungry for dinner, we’ll see. This is a new feeling for me.
    This morning I was 196 lbs. I’ll weigh again on Saturday for a week 24 update.

I love LCHF right now. It is really great at curbing my appetite, and I’m surprised that I don’t have any sugar cravings. However, I’m realizing I still need to include fasting. So next week I will do 4:3, and fast Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.

Week 24- 196 lbs

Last week I did 2 500 calorie fasts. Ate LCHF the rest of the time. Not much progress to report. Today I’m trying to do a water fast. I’m hoping changing my fast days will help this stall.

Week 25- 196 lbs

Jaded13, sometimes the stalls just happen and they can last a week or more. I think they’re more common as you get closer to your goal. I’ve been going up and down around the same numbers for the last week. Stalls or plateaus seem to be more re common on the 5:2 than on other diets. But if you looked at a graph of your journey, I bet it will show a zig-zag line heading steadily downward, just like mine.

So I try to pay the stalls no mind and just keep keeping on because the 5:2 is pretty easy and doesn’t disrupt my life too much. Slow is just fine, as long as I get to where I want to be! So hang in there and know that you have lots of company here.

You’re right, Dreamer. I need to remember that. It just gets so frustrating when I don’t see my efforts being rewarded.

Last week I managed 1 water fast. I maintained my weight, but no losses. Today I had a zero calorie day. Planning to wait as long as possible tomorrow to break my fast. I think I’m in a better frame of mind this week.

This week was good. 1 water fast and 2 500 cal. fasts. I didn’t have any sugar.

Week 27- 192.6 lbs

I’m finally getting motivated again.

Jaded, great to hear that! For me, staying away from sugar, except what’s in fruit and other whole foods is the key for me. It makes it sooo much easier. And fruit supplies any sugar cravings I have. I guess the fiber in the fruit cancels out the craving thing.

OK. I think I’m finally back on the fasting wagon. Summer has been a challenge for me. I haven’t been able to stick to any plan for very long. I need to get back to the way I was fasting when I first started. I’m pretty much starting over.
    Tuesday I had a no calorie fast. Today is another fast day.
    I’m wanting to get back into a solid ADF routine. I will eventually incorporate LCHF or keto as well, but my main goal for now is fasting.
    Here we go again.

Arg! I’ve still had a hard time fasting. It used to be so easy for me! I’ve been fighting hunger all day. It’s almost bedtime, and I’m at 475 calories. Just a little bit longer…!

Finally fasting again today. I’m feeling much better than I did at my last post. If Friday’s fast goes well, I’ll post my weight and some new goals on Saturday.

I’m back, again… I had a fast day yesterday. It was perfect. I’m trying to do ADF for 2 weeks.
    It’s been difficult for me to stay on track all summer. I’m happy there were a few fasts here and there. I think I’m finally in a better state of mind and have made a more determined decision to do this.

Starting over
    Start weight- 199.8 lbs

All is well. Fast days continue to happen. That’s a victory in itself.

I kinda faltered last weekend. I didn’t mess up too badly, but enough to slow down any weight loss. Monday was an OK fast day, I ate well yesterday and managed to lose a bit. Today is a fast day. I’m getting back on track.

I’m falling back into a routine. It’s getting easier to get through fast days.

Week 3- 197 lbs

I feel pretty awesome! I have a pretty solid ADF schedule. I’ve been eating keto for about 2 weeks, and I’m amazed at how all my cravings have vanished.

Almost week 4- 194.4 lbs

I’m still on track. This week was great. Quitting sugar and eating LCHF has made fasting super easy.

Week 5- 192.2 lbs

Week 6 was a bit wonky. I only had 1 fast day. Week 7 has been better. I’ve stayed on plan. 🙂

Week 7- 191 lbs

I’m just sticking to my plan the best I can. Some days I go over, but I don’t worry about it. It’s going really well, and my appetite has dramatically decreased. Most days I’m not hungry until late in the day.

Week 9- 187.4 lbs

You are headed in the right direction, Jaded. Keep up the good work. Amazing how the appetite, which dictated our lives before Fasting, has become so tamed that it will curl up in the corner and nap.
    You are right: this is a great way of life!

So true, fasting_me! Taking back control of my appetite has been the biggest benefit to me. I wish I had known about this sooner!

I haven’t had many fasts the past few weeks. But, I did make it through the holidays without gaining!

Week 12(I think)- 185.6 lbs

That’s a number I haven’t seen in a long time! Today is a good day. 😃

This past weekend, I survived a mini vacation to Las Vegas and didn’t gain anything. In fact, I lost weight! I don’t drink alcohol anymore, so I’m sure that helped.

Week 13- 183 lbs

2018 will be a good year.

Well now… After a couple of great fasts for the new year, I haven’t managed to fast since. Trying to refocus on fasting because I know that’s what really works for me. Fasting today to get back on track.

Week 16- 185.5 lbs

3 fasts this week. Feeling more in control.

Week 17- 184 lbs

It’s been about a month. I don’t know what week it is. I had a week off from fasting, but behaved with my food choices. I’ve had 2 fast days since, and I’m pretty happy with my progress.

179.6 lbs

Slow but steady. 😊

good job to stay at it, Jaded. Look how far you’ve come!!
    We had a good Fast Day today, and I hope the scales will show a good result. Ever notice that sometimes the weight loss from a Fast takes 2 days to show up?
    Have a good weekend.

😃 I do notice it usually takes a few fasts to get the weight moving. This week I did short fasts. More like 16/8. I really need to try for a 36 hour fast at least once this coming week. My weight stayed the same, so I’m still happy.

Jaded…
    You have had a good journey this past year and getting in the swing of this way of life and a lot of weight lost..
    You must be so pleased with yourself well done…

X

Thanks very much! It’s so nice to finally find something that works! “Eat less, exercise more” has never worked… Until the “eat less” part was fasting. Fasting is amazing!

I’m finally doing a proper fast today. For the last few weeks, I only did 1 fast each week. I have still been losing though.

177.2 lbs

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 60 total)

You must be logged in to reply.