September Challenge

This topic contains 1,413 replies, has 92 voices, and was last updated by  Minka 7 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 951 through 1,000 (of 1,414 total)

• Surrey UK day 18 I agree with you DebbieQ, just over halfway through this month and it has been a challenge staying focused, and I am not doing awfully well on it. I want to renew my purpose of eating better and fasting properly. Tomorrow is Monday, and I intend to fast properly so that the last part of this month will be more meaningful.
    I fell last night and really smacked my nose so it looks like someone punched me! Let’s hope it knocked some sense into me..

Day 18 FD
    174.2 lb – same as yesterday
    Walked 3 miles this morning- working back up to 4 miles.
    Taking billet proof coffee, thermos with miso paste to which I can add hot water this aftetnoon, also a lemon. Trying to make it theiug my work day with just these liquids.
    Question: any number nerds out there? Is there a percentage of your body weight recomended for healthy weight loss? Example my goal of 7.5 lbs to loss in September Challege = about 4% drop in 30 days – is that a reasonable goal?
    may we all make good choices today and jump back on board quickly when we fall!

Day 18 USA (Illinois)

FD for me – plan on having my crab salad for suppertime this late afternoon or evening. The calories in that are really from the mayo (I love mayonnaise….).

Gorgeous day here today, Indian Summer with fall fast approaching. Trying to read while sunning to keep up a little of my summer tan.

Church this morning, so many ladies keep telling me about how new clothes are so fun because old ones just look baggy or frumpy. YEAH! I enjoy shopping, especially online because you know you will find your size of things. Some lines of clothing just don’t fit right any more though. What used to fit me as 14-16 sizes are just enough too big to be baggy. I have found Chico’s sells 12-14 size which is perfect for me now.

Happy dieting, everyone!

Day 18 USA FD

I haven’t tried a liquid or water fast yet. I’m not sure I could do it. I haven’t even tried a true 1/4 TDEE either, which would be 250-300 calories. Maybe I’ll try it Tuesday. I’m like a lot of you who say once I start eating, I don’t know how to stop, especially in a social setting.

Day 18 Minnesota, USA NFD 2:50 pm

Beautiful day. A short 1 mile walk earlier. Doing yard work, getting ready for Autumn. Just ate first meal at 2:30 pm, leftovers from restaurant. Will grill steaks and roast vegetables for dinner, stay under TDEE, and be done for the night by 7 pm.

NorrieB, so sorry to hear you fell. Please, take good care of yourself and feel better soon!

Good luck, everyone.

Day 18 Edinburgh UK
    NFD has been a carb-fest, Grandchilds birthday and a difficult one to do any plan for!
    There is no doubt that planning is key to 5.2 success. Some days I feel I’ve really cracked it; but then life gets in the way and I fall off the darn horse! I used to feel such a failure! No longer! The weight is coming off and I
    know that the following day is a new day and I can get back on the horse!!

Tomorrow we head for the Highlands for 5 days so I think food will be easier to plan as long as I make good choices! Tomorrow will be fasting until the evening meal.

Thinking about water fasting I am really looking forward to being able to get back to them went I’m home from holiday!!

It took me a few months of 5.2 before I did my first one! Like others I feel the benefits to my system are worth the hunger pangs and I don’t need to think about food!! Keeping busy is key plus sparkling mineral water, herbal teas, cider vinegar/lemon with hot water all help. I allow myself a miso soup or homemade bone broth in the evening. I find it amazing that the following day I’m not hungry and am able to go another few hours fast!!

Fuvvie great that you’re sounding so positive, difficult with OH away for a month and caring for your MIL.

Debbie – I will hope to post daily but depends on wifi signal, but will be back on friday.

All best of luck to you all stay strong!

18 / NFD / Derby, UK

Not a great NFD today. I get so excited about eating after a 36 hour (mainly) liquid fast that I binge on fat and give myself some formidable digestive discomfort every time.
    Like some have mentioned, I’ve lost focus on my NFDs (if I ever had any.)
    Fasting tomorrow; my personal challenge for day 20 is to eat lightly and observe my hunger, not eat like a (carb free) pig, because I think I can.

Day 19 Australia FD
    Planning a 36 hour water fast today. Is anyone else doing one?
    NorrieB, I hope your face heals quickly and that you’re feeling okay. A friend of mine got a black eye while sleeping as her husband had a nightmare and thrashed around and accidentally hit her with one of his flayling arms! Then it was awkward when people asked how she got the black eye and she would say, “My husband did it, but he didn’t mean to.”
    Good luck today everyone fd or nfd.

Sunshine Coast Aus Day 19:Liquid FD: NorrieB, I too fell on the weekend but no damage. We had just arrived at the school reunion when we turned a corner where there must have been a step in the past, but now a concrete ramp type thing; ridged rubber soles on platform shoes caught on rise and I tried to imitate superman. I took the thinnest layer of skin off the elbow but didn’t even bleed, and no clothes torn😳Thank heavens everyone else was already in the dining room as it would have been a most undignified entry. The other plus is that since divesting myself of 18kgs, I was able to get up from the floor without help. Hope your poor nose heals quickly. Will be with you and Lou Belles fasting today. Will be dropping in here regularly to keep up the reinforcement of what I’m trying to achieve.
    Love the Highlands Rocy65. Climbed Ben Nevis in 2003 with daughter and son in law. It was one of the highlights of my life and a 40 year long goal. Didn’t get to the peak with my 18 month old daughter 30 years previously and it was my first opportunity to fulfill the promise to myself that I would get there some day. We have it within us to fulfill our goals.

Day 18 uk nfd hi all
    Busy in garden today even when it was raining.
    Norrieb hope the face is ok and no black eyes.

Day 19 / Australian in Asia / NFD

Hi all. Sorry I didn’t check in on the weekend. I was feeling really low. Yesterday I had a successful fast day until 7pm when I consumed 1,800 calories in wine and salt and vinegar chips until 10.30pm when I went to bed.
    I’m just going to write that day off and do a FD tomorrow as planned.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Day 19 NZ FD
    Hi team
    FD today, liquid only so far and it’s 3.15pm. Feel perfectly fine without food so I’ll keep going for now.
    It’s been a busy day and I have staff meeting tonight so number one son is cooking tea while I’m out.
    If I need it when I get home I’ll have my soaked oats but I’m staying open to the idea of liquid only if I’m still not feeling like I need food later.
    Slightly nervous that I have to change my other FD this week, normally I do Mon & Wed but it’s hubbys birthday on Wed so trying to make dinner out with the family fit into a fast seems too hard.
    I’ve tried one FD on a work day and been unsuccessful but last time it was my third fast for the week so I’m hoping I do better this time as the only other option would be tomorrow and back to back seems too much for me.
    My major problem is still the NFD and staying in control. I’m sure it’s purely psychological, I’m fasting today and not remotely worried about food but come tomorrow, it’s like the gloves come off and I want all the wrong things.
    I know it’s self sabotaging to eat above the TDEE on NFDs, why put myself through a fast just to throw it all away the next day??? I just need to find the mental trigger that is giving me permission to overdo it and figure out how to switch it off! Any suggestions, encouragement, shared issues please feel free to pitch in. I love this forum for helping me feel less isolated in my struggles.
    Good luck to anyone who’s also fasting today, maybe even more good luck to those who aren’t. I hope u are better at it than I am😊

Day 18 FD additional post
    Hi Lany, just wanted to let you know I am doing the same… all liquids so far today and it’s 5:45 pm. Heading home in about 15 minutes and hoping I don’t go crazy on the calories – my OH will want at least a salad…. Already had a couple hundred calories with my two bulletproof coffees – the other liquids were just ice water with lemon/tabasco/stevia and mug of miso in hot water.
    Hope we can both stay strong!

Day 19, DE, yesterday I had one meal / IF 23/1.

☕🌞

Day 19, Australia. FD
    Its a water fast day for me today, all is good so far, I’m planning on doing 36 hours. I’ve noticed I’ve got a bit careless on my NFDs so time for me to knuckle down and get on with it!

Good luck fasters and losers, I hope it’s a successful day for you all.

Day17/18 USA. It was a NFD weekend . I know I went over my TDEE. Tomorrow I fast. Hope to get back on track. Wishing everyone a successful 5:2 week.

Croatia, Day 19, NFD
    Weight: 77.8 Kg

Day 19 Italy – FD
    Second attempt at a Fast Day, yesterday i completely lost the plot. Surprise, surprise. There seems to be a lot of us doing it today, It’s strange the effect it has knowing i’m fasting with others. It keeps me stronger because i don’t want to let you all down, all you wonderful people i don’t even know spread all over the world! I CAN do this!

Day 19 / Tweed Coast Australia / FD

After my anxious eating yesterday, grazing through the day due to stress, letting myself eat as much as I wanted, I was shocked this morning to step on the scale to see my weight at a new low! At first my mind just couldn’t see/accept 59.0 kg and kept seeing 59.9 or 60.0 kg!! I had to again independently check the scales again! Yes, that unopened bottle of vinegar still weighs 2 kg!

If I can credit this to anything it is probably the parameters of what I allowed myself to eat yesterday. Every snack was high protein, no sugar, low carb, high fat. You might scratch your head wondering what would be left that would be good to snack on that fits those requirements? …For me it was macadamia nuts that I’d activated, roasted macadamia butter that I buy from a local farmer, the mac butter spread on my own home made low carb tortilla/chapati that is made only with psyllium seed powder, coconut flour, cumin powder and vegetable broth to bind. I also had more of my home made ‘fudge mud’ as well as cottage cheese, sheep milk yogurt and some protein powder drinks. Maybe all that nervous energy I felt while writing my class assignment burned through those calories?

One last note: It is this September challenge that has enabled me to set those snack parameters. If I weren’t in this challenge, I would have been in free fall, and not with my weight, but with my food integrity. It is what we are doing here and the support I feel that has made all the difference.

UK day 19 – not sure yet if it’s a FD or a NFD!

Yesterday, took the decision to have a NFD at midday. I’m planning a ‘fast and a half’ later in the week, so I’m not sure if I want to fast today as well. It’s weird knowing I could…very empowering!

Day 19 Sussex U.K.
    FD today.
    K-Lo. Thanks for the link to chickpea flour pizza recipe. May give that one a try tomorrow.
    Have been in free fall…….. Is it something to do with the phases of the moon?
    However Lael’s post today has made me think of more planning around non fast days.
    Also haven’t done much structured exercise for a while so looking into that as well as joining a pop choir.
    Good luck today everyone. It’s a new day.

Barely Day 18: Pacific NW USA, NFD

3 1/2 mile walk today to do marketing. OH and I got caught in a huge downpour and came home laughing and dripping.

Tomorrow will be a 20:4 day with liquids only till salmon baked with vegetables for dinner.

Debbie and Ciren – it’s the little progress cheers from you guys that keep me going, thanks for the props!

Norrie – please avoid such drastic maneuvers to get some sense knocked into you in the future (Ha)! Fuvvie, also. Sidewalk surfing is off limits!

Night or good day, all!

Day 19 – Switzerland – NFD
    Another perfectly pleasant FD yesterday. Managed a social event with lots of food available but luckily was in that ‘just not hungry’ zone which made it easy to politely decline.
    NFDs are a different challenge. For me, they are the battle-ground where I have to confront the emotions and dodgy thinking that gradually got me fat and unhealthy over the last 20 years. A lot of tiny decisions not to eat healthily and not to listen to my body when it told me it was full. Plus a lot of yoyo dieting and not allowing myself to feel good in my body. A lot of shame. A lot of telling myself that things would be better if I wasn’t so fat.
    So now I’m un-peeling all these layers, I’m trying to be kind to myself and unknot these feelings so that they don’t trip me up in the future. To look after myself as well as everyone else. To put myself first from time to time. To like how I look now, not at some mythical point in the future. Those last two I find super-tough – I do a bit too much for my kids and OH as a way of showing how much I love them, but that’s not necessarily a good thing if they get used to it! My mental image of myself is also about 15kgs lighter than I am now so I get a horrible shock when I see myself from the side etc!
    If I can stick to this way of eating I know I’ll get back to a healthy weight – just one day at a time.
    Mental clarity and determination to everyone struggling today. I really think we’re onto a good thing!

Aussie day 19 Todays FD didn’t go as planned woke at 3am with asthma and couldn’t get back to sleep call me grumpy granny but tomorrow’s another day.Hope your ok NorrieB.

Gozo, Malta

Lany36 my advise is to plan what to eat on a nfd.

NorrieB and Fuvvie take care and I hope you are well soon.

Today I weighed at 68.3 kilos almost two kilos from last Thursday. Too much food over the weekend. But today is another day and I’m back on track.

It’s a fast day for my husband and I today. Will have chicken with onions and mustard and sour cream With runner beans for lunch. Baked fish with salad for supper.

Good luck everyone of your nfd or fd today. It’s not easy sometimes to stay strong but it’s always rewarding.

London Day 19 FD

The weekend was a complete disaster in terms of healthy eating – mainly stress related! The dark cloud hasn’t lifted yet. I’m on the verge going NFD, but I know I’m on self-destruct mode… I’ll see things go today.

Hope you’re all having a better day than me 🙁
    All the best

Atlanta, Ga/ USA Day 19: FD today… Starting my morning with a workout. Mostly weight training though. Had a few pieces of grapefruit to get me going. Still fighting a cold, but I’m feeling much better. Super motivated to start the week. More so than before. I’m beginning to see this as a possible lifestyle for me now. Curious how others of you may feel about that? Has anyone continued this process for more than one month? How’d it go? Over and Out!

Australia Day 19 FD – sorry I missed the last couple of days and am yet to catch up on all the posts. A big good and drink weekend as always but less so than before so progress. Today’s FD going well despit all sorts of work and home pressures. I hope everyone has a good week.

London Day 19

Had a good weekend and stayed within TDEE

FD today but no exercise as I have some bug 👹hopefully it won’t last long.

On a totally separate note if anyone is interested in becoming a house sitter around the world or if anybody needs their house and/or pets looked after while they are away, my hubby has started a new business https://www.professionalhouse-sitters.com
    and he is offering complimentary annual memberships to a limited number of home owners and house sitters as a special end of summer offer. The campaign is being run on FB and if anyone is interested please send an email to hello@professionalhouse-sitters.com and he will send you a coupon. 😎

Day #19/USA/FD

WOW….do I ever need a FD after the weekend. I played 2 rounds of golf and had a few lite beers each day. On top of that, I ate candy, ice cream and you name it. 🙁 I was not going to weigh myself this morning, but decided to just face the music. I was surprised to see only a 6/10ths of a pound gain. It may yet catch up to me…we’ll see. Day 19 and I’m only down a pound, but it’s better than being up, right?

I may not have gained weight from the sugar indulgence, but I’m paying for it in the way I feel. I had a miserable night with headache and upset stomach. I’ve had to pass on boot camp this morning and am staying home from work. Just feel too “muzzy” headed from lack of sleep. Hoping a nap is in my future.

Enjoy your day…fasting, or not!

Day 19|FD|Toronto
    Lost a battle this weekend in my personal “Game of Scones”; retreated to treat NFD overindulgence wounds, rearm and head out on this FD. Wary , once again, of 3 Dragons called Portion Control, Comfort Food and Emotional Eating.
    Best wishes to all

US, Day 19, FD. Just walked by my boss’s office. He is eating peanut butter on a toasted bagel. The aroma is killing me.

NFD went fine, but I just can’t stick that dismount below 120.

Day 19. NJ USA FD had a good NFD weekend. Not a lot going on so I had time to think about what I ate. Planned NFD as no snacking or when the need arises – protein only. Worked for me. Leaving Sunday for a week long road trip with a friend to Charleston – a beautiful low country city; so I have got to get my head in the right place for the next 10 days if I can get through this I can do it for the rest of my life!
    Sitting here sipping my lemon water and enjoying the posts starting my fast day in a great way. Be strong everyone have a great day.

NorrieB… poor you. I hope you feel better soon!
    Rocy65 .. thanks for letting me know. I’ll make a note.
    Elphaba… I’m hope you’re feeling better. Just put it behind you and move on.
    August 2024 — lol.. that’s funny!
    K-lo…been there .. especially the onion bagels…they smell sooooo good.
    Lany36… I often think that even if I blow my NFD’s, the fact that I am fasting two days a week still gives me the health benefits and probably a small about of weight ones too. It is so easy to let it all go on nfd’s and I am guilty of that. The only thing I can say is that as time goes by I’ve noticed that when I go to get something to pig out… it has become a conscious thing and not just mindless. That makes a difference because now I am making a choice… and if I have a choice then I now have a 50/50 chance making the right one. I find as time goes by I think I’m making the right choice more often.
    And.. exhale – the truth of what you wrote really hit home to me. I have been trying very hard to live in the moment. Maybe I would be happier if I won the lotto or lost another 40 lbs but I can also be happy where I am right now. As we are all only too aware.. our frame of mind and emotions have had so much to do with getting us to where we are today… the good and the bad of it. I have made a conscious choice to not sweat the small stuff… to let the annoyance or anger go and focus on something positive instead. This WOL is a positive thing for me because I seem to be able to sustain it and that makes a difference… I may have lost the plot on some nfd’s but I haven’t failed in the big picture.
    Have a great day all!

Day 19: Cotswolds, UK: Fast-day. Going for the full 36-hour water-only today til breakfast of porridge (now with NO sugar) tomorrow. I’m back from work. It’s 3.40pm, and I am feeling strong enough at the moment. I will do my usual 1-hour brisk walk later on.
    Fellow water/liquid fasters, Lou Belles, VioletP, Lany36, Maui, Holly LJ and all others fasting out there around the world GOOD LUCK for today and SUCCESS all round.

Surrey UK Day 19 I am realizing that it is this thread that is keeping me getting up again each time I fall…excuse the pun! Everyone here is so encouraging to everyone else and it makes such a difference to know that others are going through what each one of us goes through at some point or another, and so very useful to see how we each deal with our ‘demons’. Seeing them for what they are is the first step, now to challenge them. There are some very wise words being spoken by a number of people here..next time I read the posts I am going to make notes!
    So started the day as a fast day, with a blue nose and a blackish eye and no brains. I have just had some really nice potato salad my son-in-law makes, not a huge amount, but still. I wanted to do a no eating fast day. At this point I could probably say what the heck, I have stuffed up so just go all the way…but I am not going to. Going to stop right here and not eat again till tomorrow morning. That decision is due to all the strength everyone else is showing on this thread. Thank you all!

Day 19 USA (Illinois)

NFD for me today – have a luncheon today where I know we are due to have chicken salad on croissant. I love croissants, so I hope I can maybe just eat half of it.

FD yesterday may have had more than 1/4 my TDEE. I need to recalculate my BMI but it seems to be just about 26. I really want to get it at 25 or less, so still dieting. Haven’t lost anything in about a week, but not giving up at all. I probably will do an all liquid FD (36 hours if I can) for Thursday. House guests are coming on Friday, and likely we will all go out to dinner that evening.

Norrie – glad you’re okay despite the bruises. I fell once and hit my forehead hard on a ceramic tile floor and had black and blue eyes for weeks. Hope yours goes away soon!

2nd post
    Debbie Q you are so right it’s mindless vs. conscious – something that really hit home this weekend and it’s something I’m really going to try and live by. I’m the queen of mindless nibbling and this has to stop – conscience makes all the difference in the world if you think about it and still want it – go for it ( you will think about it until you have it or heaven forbid something worse) if not put it down.
    Thank you for your Insight

Day 19. USA FD
    173.4 lbs this morning – lowest weigh-in this month so I’m encouraged. I want to try another FD today – just liquids all day: coffee-lemon water- miso and then a big bowl of organic salad greens with probiotic sauerkraut and small protein for dinner. Still haven’t tried the water fast but I’m working towards it. Kinda nice to know there’s one more resource in reserve when needed. Still hoping to hit 169 by Sept 29th so the water fast might be just the ticket. Also trying to stick with walking at least 3 miles every morning – workijng up to 4 miles.
    Sending positive thoughts for all of us on this exciting journey.

Day 20 NFD NZ
    FD went great. Liquid only until about 7pm then I had about 350cals because I was worried I might upset my sleep.
    Next FD this week I’ll try the same and maybe even less until I can get all the way down to purely liquid. It was freeing not eating at all for the day I quite enjoyed it and oddly enough wasn’t really hungry.
    Weight today is hard to know. My scales are all over the place. I’ve lost anywhere from 600g to only 200g depending on which measurement I use.
    Will check again Friday and go with that
    Have a great day everyone

Day 20
    I missed Thursday and Friday posting as computers at work were down. I will try to catch up on what I missed.
    I have been thinking about calorie restriction albeit eating LCHF, and the risks of eating too much protein and too many carbs, and left wondering if tracking the GI of foods which would make beans once fibre reduced – or net carbs, quite low.
    Fats which do not at all raise insulin the food to eat the most of.
    Moderate protein & low carbs
    Perhaps eat that way and do longer fasts…it gets confusing. In October Dr Fung has new book to be released on fasting. I have it pre ordered. Excellent new blog from his web site:
    https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/dietary-fat-hyperinsulinemia/
    as usual very interesting and insightful.

Day 19 / FD / Derby, UK

Much easier fast day today than the last. Have managed with just water and 3 cups of coffee. Tomorrow, I’m determined to limit my portion sizes and not snack on butter and cheese just because they’re low carb.
    A thought: instead of feeling disappointed in our ‘failures,’ how about viewing every day as a school day, Another lesson working towards a better way of life.
    I’m convinced this diet lark is much more about what we put in our minds than what we put in our mouths.
    Keep going everyone. Sending international positive vibes! x

Aussie day 20 Mindless snacking left me bloated and wheezing all day yesterday FD today. The things we do to ourselves.

Day 19 USA FD walked 4 miles this morning

Yesterday was a FD fail. Had dinner with sister in law and her family, about 15 people. Too much yummy food. I’m trying FD again today. I think I’ll succeed. 500 calories.

U.K. Day 19 NFD Today wasn’t the day that I intended, new start tomorrow for me !

Australia Day 20 NFD
    So after a few difficult days working and staying away from home in a conference centre with colleagues with copious food and wine available I am getting back on track this week. Managed a good fast day yesterday after only managing 1 not 2 last week. I was a bit concerned about the scales but was happy to get 68kg. That is 1.4kg gone since Sept 1 and well on my way to target of 65kg – I’m 1.8m/6ft tall. Thanks for all the encouragement! Have a good week everyone and stat determined!

Day 19 uk fd
    Not the liquid only fast day I had hoped but hey ho!

Day 19 Minnesota, US NFD
    A FD that turned into a NFD but not a complete loss; I stayed under 800 calories, with a good amount of protein and stayed low carb. Will possibly try to do a FD tomorrow. Good luck to everyone!

Day 19 USA additional post

Bethany, I agree with you about what we put in our minds being so important. I’m trying to stay positive and keep focused on successes. Only 2 more hours and I get off work and can go home to my bowl of salad greens and a little protein… really looking forward to it after a day of liquids.

Australia Day 20 NFD – had a good 40-hour fast, liquids only except for a small portion of homemade ratatouille and a mandarin last night for dinner (less than 400 cals). Having fresh vietnamese rolls and a sweet potato noodle salad for lunch. I have celery and green capsicum sticks for a mid-afternoon snack and then tonight will be a mix of vegetables and pulses with some pork so should be a good TDEE day. Keep on it everyone!

Viewing 50 posts - 951 through 1,000 (of 1,414 total)

You must be logged in to reply.