September Challenge

This topic contains 1,413 replies, has 92 voices, and was last updated by  Minka 7 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1,001 through 1,050 (of 1,414 total)

• Croatia, Day 20, NFD
    Weight: 78 Kg

Day 20 / Tweed Coast Australia / NFD

The Morning After or ‘TMA’! In other words, this morning, the morning after yesterday’s FD and I reached a new low by weighing in at 58.4 kg, BMI 20.2. I’m rapt! When I first started 5:2 in late June my goal was 59 kg. I’ve now fallen through that and could move to 6:1 maintenance, except that a pair of sized 12 pants that I’ve wanted to wear for a decade still do not quite fit as well as they could due to this ever present extra padding in the belly button region! So I’m going to continue with 5:2 and hope I can reduce that padding around my middle. Unfortunately, due to health issues, I’m not able to do much exercise. I’ve ordered some inulin however, which is what Angela Rippon is taking to help lower her visceral fat. Apparently I’ll need to take this for at least 3 months to see the effects, though if I do find it really makes a difference, I’ll be shouting it from the rooftops of this forum!

Day 19 USA. Started out as a FD until donuts arrived at work, followed by cookies and ended with a sandwich company offering free samples to drum up business. Well over 500 cal. May try again tomorrow.

Day 20 – Switzerland – NFD
    Keeping on keeping on. Strength and perseverance to everyone today!

Day 20 Italy- NFD
    I weigh 74kg, down 0.7kg. I’m very pleased with that as i’m finally moving in the right direction again, and i have really struggled fasting lately. Yesterday was my best Fast yet, i declined (without explaining in too much detail) pastries with coffee in the morning, biscuits mid-morning, ice cream in the afternoon, a glass of wine with crisps before dinner, and i felt strong enough to do liquid only. But, my family arrived yesterday and it felt mean not sitting down to an evening meal together. I did roast chicken, with veggies and a couple of potatoes.
    Dmw2, i think i know how you feel about Mum’s forcing food down your neck! I hope you don’t have to move to another country, like i have lol

Day 19: Pacific NW USA, NFD turned into 16:8

Work week has started and once again I’m up too late so I’ll make this quick because I find myself nodding off. Our weekend was restful. Not too bad on TDEE either. Liquid only FD tomorrow until Wed morning. Tooddle-oo

Day 20 / Australian in Asia / FD

Lael congratulations – that’s a fantastic outcome. I’m so happy for you.

I wasn’t going to attempt to fast today but it’s nearly 2pm and I haven’t eaten so I may as well. My veggies and boiled eggs I brought in for lunch will still be there tomorrow.

I’m still struggling but plugging along and enjoying reading all the supportive updates.

London Day 20 – morning all still have this virus so off work. FD yesterday as wasn’t hungry so will probably fast again today as don’t have much of an appetite. Hope to feel better tomorrow!

Gozo, Malta

Yesterday was a successful fast day. Today is a nfd for me. I hope o stay within my TDEE.

Babysitting my seven week grandson while his mother sleeps to catch up with sleepless night. She will study some policies today and I’ll keep on babysitting.

Stay strong everyone. Have a great day.

UK Day 20 – NFD and I’m choosing every one of my foods today because I love the flavours. I’m going to deliberately savour everything as I did a FD yesterday and I’m planning on doing a fluid fast tomorrow into Thursday.

Gozo, Malta

Yesterday was a successful fast day. Today is a nfd for me. I hope to stay within my TDEE.

Babysitting my seven week grandson while his mother sleeps to catch up with sleepless night. She will study some policies today and I’ll keep on babysitting.

Stay strong everyone. Have a great day.

London Day 20 FD

After an unsuccessful FD yesterday, I’m back fully determined to get through this day unscathed! I succumbed to stress and hunger – had lunch (haddock chowder, some spicy nuts and a small piece of coffee and walnut cake) and dinner (pizza with friends!). I’m going to put that behind me.

Today is a new day – a new FD. My plan is to fast till dinner time. Take ~300 calories and no more. I’ll go for a run (will probably eat after).

Since I’ve been struggling with my FDs, I’m going to take a step back and start taking some calories on FDs – maybe around 250-300. Hopefully once I settle into it I can get back to 36h water fasts.

Have a good day everyone and good luck with your FD/NFDs

UK day 20 fasting today and determined to see some result in September, we have 10 days left on this particular challenge, I’m relieved to see my weights stable at around 10 and a half st , I only have one social engagement so I’m going to give it my all to be able to get to 10st 4 or 5 going into October would be a real boost for me ……onwards x

Day 20, Australia. NFD
    Finished my liquid fast today at lunchtime, that was 42 hours in total. I feel like my computer has reset and I ate a good WFPB (whole food plant based) lunch and dinner. I think I need to plan my eats ahead so I don’t get hungry and eat poorly on NFDs. Once I get into the fast I’m fine, I’m never hungry in the mornings but on a fast day I keep thinking of food, that goes of and on for a few hours but once I hit the 18 hour mark, that’s about lunchtime I’m really off and running. I felt I could have kept going but made the decision to stop before I got fed up of fasting and put myself off entirely.

My new scales are on their way and my present scales are dodgy, showing a 3 kg loss since I began at the end of August, I am definitely losing centimetres/ inches and I’m wearing clothes that I couldn’t a month ago.

Thanks for the good wishes Ciren2, I hope you and all fasters had success.

Stay strong fasters and feasters and just think….if I start today where will I be this time next month!
    VP

Day 20 Australia NFD

Lany, great job going all day water only. It is so nice to not have to think about food and I have been amazed too that I’m not really hungry. I think the hardest part of it is socially. I am fine fitting water fasting into my normal week. But have had family visiting for last two weeks and it’s hard to completely miss meals while not making a big deal about it. This family is leaving Thursday and on Saturday we are picking up my MIL from the airport and are off on a week holiday with her a few hours away. Anyway good luck with it.
    Bethany I love what you said about learning from each day. That’s what we need to focus on. If we only feel successful if we’re perfect at this we’ll waste a lot of time.
    Lael congratulations that really is an achievement. I hope you can make your next goal of getting in those pants!
    Fd went well yesterday though not suprised that after last week’s great loss I was up again. Up 700 gms from last fd. But have been exercising again. Anyway I never know why and when I lose. Hoping next fd will take me back there.
    Good luck everyone.

Sunshine Coast Aus Day 20: NFD. Successful 40 hour liquid only fast but lousy NFD. FD tomorrow. Very tired. Night all.

day 20 nfd – weighted in at 65.7 finally 4 kilos down in 7 weeks … n had a two bites of carbs in yesterdays fast … tom another fast day n going to stay focused n no carbs as had eggs Florentine for breakfast had no idea it has 960 calories – gosh not doing that mistake again… gona have another 200 odd calories today for lunch n start the fast… so can do a 42 hr fast n see if that helps gona plan ahead only protein meal .. eggs with steak… any other suggestions welcome…

Day #20/USA/FD

Giving a FD a go again since I blew it yesterday. ๐Ÿ™ I just wasn’t feeling it yesterday, but have more resolve this morning. Tomorrow I’ll be playing golf with my friends and eating dinner out, so don’t want to plan a FD for then!

Make it a good week!

Day 20|NFD|Toronto
    FD yesterday went well, even ending up under my 600 calorie ceiling.
    Pleased to read that turmeric as an additive into everyday recipes has once again been supported by independent, reported about on BBC by Michael Mosley,studies. One of my stand-by FD meals is a veggie or mushroom omelette of 2 parts egg white to 1 whole egg with a big tbs of turmeric. Great colour and good for me!

DAY 20. NJ USA NFD. Looking to break a 42 hour fast with brunch today not feeling hungry feel strong and healthy. Went to book club last night did not eat food looked good but I stuck to my guns and had two bottles of water. Once again thank you Debbie Q – mindless eating is really my downfall I can be good all day and then nibble and snack so I’m trying to be very aware of what’s going on at all times. Nothing goes in my mouth that I don’t think about. They (whoever they are) says that it takes 21 days to form a habit – well here we are at day 20 so hopefully this is automatically going to be part of our life. I am down 9
    pounds as of this morning feeling extremely good and positive. Just have to stick with it and pay attention to
    everything I eat. Have a great day everyone

Atlanta, Ga/USA?Day 20 NFD: Yesterday’s FD was great! I didn’t get hungry at all. I had a sensible 200 calorie lunch and left room for dinner, but I wasn’t hungry so I had a few pieces of fruit instead.I’m down 6 lbs. in the 20 days since starting this challenge. More than I had anticipated. It seems that the combination of alternate Fasting and exercise is paying dividends. I’m excited about next months challenge! 10 more days to go! Stay encouraged everyone! This stuff really works if you put in the work!

Day 20 USA (Illinois)

FD today but won’t try to do an all liquid. Might do that next week again. Holding my own weight wise and getting near my 25 BMI.

Who was it who said they lost the Battle of the Scones? Laughed out loud on that one. Game of Thrones had just won so many Emmy Awards when I heard that. Are we in a Game of Scones ourselves? Far and away the best scones I have ever eaten were on a vacation in New Zealand on the train through the Southern Alps from Christchurch to Greymouth. Oh, yes I know we were hungry, but one of the stops provided us with a batch of fresh baked scones with butter. Hmm, mouth is watering just remembering them.

Day 20: Gloucestershire, Cotswolds, UK: Non-fast day. Successful 36-hour water-only fast yesterday. Still on my goal weight.
    Congratulations everyone who has their various successes this week.
    Lael: Especially YOU…for reaching your goal weight…yippee!

Day 20 Sussex. U.K.
    NFD.
    Finally got a fast under my belt yesterday after shilly-shallying about for two whole weeks.
    It’s this forum that keeps me going and reading all your posts.
    August2024 – loved your game of scones post. Now ‘re-arming’ for another fast tomorrow
    Whilst the spirit is with me.
    Onwards and downwards everyone.

I confess to “Game of Scones”, my Lady of the Song, as I battle the 3 Dragons called Portion Control, Comfort Food and Emotional Eating!

Anyone getting to their goal….there is a maintenance thread HERE…

https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/little-voices-join-third-time-lucky-now-maintaining/#post-167008

Hope that works…I’m not technical!

Day 20/PA, USA/FD

I finished my travels with a bang (i.e., eating lots of bad foods). Today I’m bloated, which makes me happy to make this an FD. I need this!

Starting today, I’m going to buckle down and make real changes to my eating on my NFDs. I can do it!

You can do it! Positive thoughts to all!

Day 20 USA. NFD
    173.4 lbs- no change from yesterday.
    Will stay LCHF today – first meal will be after 1:00 so my window of eating will be less than 8 hours-hoping not to see 174 on that scale again! All your successes are keeping me on the course and positive I will reach my goal. Thanks to all !

US, Day 20, NFD. Fast day went well until OH and I opened a bottle of wine. Lots of liquid calories. Oh well.

Hi all day 20 UK nfd

Had a quick catch up and I am impressed with some of the results. I get the feeling most of the newbies have settled in to this way of life – someone asked how does fasting work after the month is up, can you continue as a way of life (or words to that effect). This should not be viewed as a one month wonder – I myself have been here for over a year now and others on this forum longer than that. This is a way of life not a diet that you do and then stop. I hope this has clicked with most. Most have settled in and are feeling much more positive in their comments either because they are seeing results or feeling clothes better or realizing on their fast days at least food does not have the same hold. Keep it up everyone!

I often wonder why we can do a fast day, most times, with relative ease yet non fast days seem to have a re-occurring theme. Is it because on a fast day we are tuned in much more to our bodies and on a fast day we eat with our minds? We don’t need the chocolate bar that our mind has conjured up, we certainly are not hungry for it, it must be a mental thing. On a fast day a very simple meal can be so delicious because we are truly hungry, we savour every bite. It comes back to something I have shared many times Mind set is everything! Whether you think you can or think you can’t – You’re right. But how come at times you can decline food that will not achieve your goal and yet other times it can be sooooo difficult? Is it just practice, a habit that needs to be learned? Is it the foods that over ride common sense – why do we never crave a banana, is it the drug like foods. Why do we want foods that we really don’t want. Is it their addictive tendencies? So many questions – any thoughts, any ideas?
    Will just finish my rambling with another quote ‘Don’t count the days, make the days count’. So as we approach the final days of this challenge let us all re-new our re-solve and make these days count.

Thanks Coda. You expressed my feelings exactly!

Day 20 / NFD / Derby, UK

Coda- you’re very good at this insightful stuff!
    Lael- congratulations!
    August- Game of Scones; love it! I’m locked in a perpetual battle with those same dragons.

Succeeded in eating smaller, less rich meals today and avoided the digestive discomfort that has plagued my NFDs after a FD.
    However, my two year old begged to do some baking and I must have licked a good 200 calories of icing off my fingers before eating one of the fruits of our labour after work.
    I’ve decided not to beat myself up about this, and instead am treating it as a learning experience. I’m going to print off a stack of easy low carb, low sugar recipes and make one of those next time she asks. She mightn’t like the flavour of the finished product, but it’s really the process that she loves.
    Lesson learnt. 3rd fast day of the week tomorrow. Hoping for another liquid 36 hour, but have v.low carb/low cal gazpacho on hand just in case.
    Keep going everyone!

Day 20 USA FD I worked out with weights one hour this morning.

Yesterday’s FD ended up at about 800 calories. Today FD is 522 calories and I’m done. Tuesday is my easiest day to fast. I’ve been doing the yo yo eating the last 10 days–time to stop and get serious for the rest of the month.

US Day 20 FD
    Going well so far today.

Day 20: Pacific NW USA, Liquid only FD (with you Debbie!)

Yes, liquid only today but not enough liquids, I fear. Been so busy at work that on a FD it’s just too easy to forget to stop and drink. Also various and sundry things keeping me up too late each night and then that sets me up to having too many neurons firing and I wake too early – another problem behavior I need to conquer. Will self-improvement ever not have such a long laundry list !! I did a HIIT bike ride this morning, hopefully I’ll get to sleep and stay asleep tonight.

thereal – ditto what Coda said about some of us that have been on 5:2 a while. It was an experiment for me my first month in May, 5:2 had to prove itself before I could believe I could lose weight, regain health and live this way. And it sure did. I know maintenance in the future will still be a challenge but at least I can say I foresee some form of IF being an important part of staying healthy once I get there.

Pissupoosa – sounds to me like you are listening to your body and modifying your FD plans to exactly what you need right now!

Lael – BMI 20.2!! That sounds too incredible! It’s unfortunate what they say (probably same they as itsmyturn knows) that you can’t “spot reduce”. I’ve been trying on smaller pants in my closet (some with tags still on) that I can now zip up comfortably but with that dread muffin-top crowning my achievement! It was fun to pull them on though, but I think I’ll need to stay with the baggier, bigger size for a little while longer.

August – love the recipe idea, and with SongBird – my favorite all-time Game Of Scones was a Song of Fire and Ice (I know, too much) in Edinburgh when we got off the train in a late December snow storm and found a bakery pulling a batch of hot cream scones out of the oven. I need a LCHF replacement recipe for cream scones!

Ps sorry that should read off course on a non fast day we eat with our minds.

Day 21 NFD NZ
    So it’s hubbys birthday today. Out for dinner with the family tonight.
    Even though it’s a NFD im sticking to liquids today but allowing cals from milk in my coffee. Im planning for that to keep me under TDEE when dinner and desert happen tonight.
    Planning a FD tomorrow then 3 NFD in a row.
    I’ve switched to a FD for tomorrow when it would usually be today so that I can enjoy a meal out with everyone but I’m a bit nervous about fasting at work, quiet moments in my office always lead to thoughts of food. In the positive side I’m looking forward to only 3 NFD in a row instead of my usual 4.
    Have a great day everyone

August – you’re the one. Oh, and our 3 Dragons, indeed. I think we all battle those Dragons. Got a powerful sword? It’s those fire-breathers that are the worst. ๐Ÿ™‚

Back2the Future – I think we Americans will always admire the Brits (or formerly British colonies like NZ) for their scones. You’re so right: we do need to find a recipe for cream scones that is LCHF!

Australia Day 21 NFD – makes me smile to see that on day 21 we are on page 21 of this forum :). Re FD successes vs NFD blow outs – I was doing exactly that. I was having great 36-hour, liquid only FDs but then would pig out on NFDs because I was hungry and subconsciously I am sure I felt that I “deserved” the extra food. Now I have 40-hour fasts which are liquid until dinner when I will have a meal of around 300 cals. That allows me to stick to liquids the next day until lunchtime when I am still capable of making healthy choices. I stayed well within my TDEE yesterday and walked for around an hour so feeling really empowered today. I hope everyone else feels the same!

Aussie day 21 I find some days i just can’t do a FD this is my third attempt this week and it’s going fine, yesterday i wanted chocolate I went grocery shopping today only good food in my trolley. after reading Coda’s post i realize it is a mental thing also i have just been to tired back in control today .

Day 20 USA NFD
    Thanks to all for today’s supportive posts. Heading home from work in 2 more hours and plan to stick to fairly low calorie dinner and then to bed early so I won’t be tempted to eat anymore! Managed to have only liquids to about 1:30 and lunch was a kale salad with a few walnuts and small amount of feta cheese. I did have a small 1 ounce bag of chocolate covered mac nuts (170 calories) as an afternoon treat. Still day 20 here and I see day 21 popping up from the Aussie teammates . September is going quickly!

Day 21 / Australian in Asia / NFD

Yesterdays spontaneous fast didn’t happen. Never mind it’s ok – there is always my usual Thursday fast (tomorrow). I’m over beating myself up and just plugging on forward.

Good to hear everyone is going well, and thanks Coda for your words of wisdom. “food” for thought.

E

Croatia, Day 21, NFD
    Weight: 78 Kg

Day 21 Italy – NFD
    Lovely Day with family, had a few glasses of wine and a wonderful dish of spaghetti in anchovy sauce and a piece of lemon meringue pie my sister and her boy-friend Made.
    Don’t know what today will bring!

Gozo, Malta

Yesterday I meant to have only 200 calories to make a half day fast and I ended up eating 300 calories. I was so hungry I grabbed two dried prunes and an Apple and ate them. Afterwards it was Greek yogurt with honey and a banana. Today I’ll fast till lunch time but mean to have salad with ricotini around 300 calories or a bit less. It would mean a 600 calorie whole fast day, half yesterday and half today.

I’m not going out today so might continue the fast and do one day and a half. I’m going out to dinner next Friday when I usually fast. But if I do half day fasting on Friday I would still have done three fast days this week. I’ll weigh tomorrow morning.

I love reading all posts. Good luck with everyone those who are doing a fast day or NFD today. It’s a public holiday here today and I’m babysitting my seven week grandson today again.

Day 21 Australia NFD
    Looking forward to tomorrow’s fd. Feel like I have been eating too much once I start. Went out for lunch for my mother’s birthday today, didn’t eat anything before, but have since been snacking then stopping myself, then snacking then stopping. At least I have been stopping myself once I start. It would be better to stop myself before I start but I’m a work in progress.
    I doubt I will be over tdee but it’s not how I want to feel about food. Also lots of homemade treats around so sadly haven’t been snacking on carrots or anything heslthy. Looking forward to feeling that cleansing feeling of fasting and for the reset it helps me have.
    Good luck everyone.

Surrey UK Day 21 Apologies for not posting yesterday, I made bone broth which has turned out beautifully, then got stuck into the garden, then laundry, then taxi the kids and my daughter backwards and forwards, then dinner preparation, sorting the dogs, by the time I got to sitting down I was so tired and woke up in my chair in the early hours of this morning! Managed to eat fairly well, had some pro vita savoury biscuits with an avocado pear for lunch, and then roast chicken (no skin) with vegetables plus some wine for dinner. I weighed again on Tuesday morning and was suddenly down 2 kilograms…I don’t trust the scale. Will weigh as per normal on Friday morning.

Day 20, Minnesota, USA NFD
    Late entry so please forgive my tardiness. I did try earlier and my reply went off into the netherworld of the internet. Stay strong to those of us struggling. Great job to you who have been fighting through the adversities to become successful. Tomorrow is another day. The wonder of 5:2!! That’s why we love this way of life!

Day 21 / Tweed Coast Australia / NFD

Thank you Bethany, Ciren, Lou Belles and anyone I might have missed, for the acknowledgements on reaching my goal! It’s an extra boost to feel the support and ‘knowing’ that I share with you all here. I mean if it were really easy, everyone would be doing this! We all really know what it takes.

back2thefuture, so you know what it feels like too, ๐Ÿ™ . Last measure in showed recent weight drop mostly came from my bust, which is the last place that needs to be narrower in circumference!

August! You crack me up with laughter! Your ‘Game of Scones’ put me into fits of giggles and like you, I’m often overwhelmed by those ‘3 Dragons’!

Coda, I’ve read posts in other threads from those who’d previously thought they’d ‘arrived’ at their goal and hopped off the IF train. Over time they then gained back some, all or even at times more weight than they’d previously lost via 5:2. I’ve read enough of those posts to see what you mean about making this a WOL.

Viewing 50 posts - 1,001 through 1,050 (of 1,414 total)

You must be logged in to reply.