September Challenge

This topic contains 1,413 replies, has 92 voices, and was last updated by  Minka 7 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 751 through 800 (of 1,414 total)

• @debbieq and Coda

If in the next 2 weeks there is no one that could run the October Challenge in the current version, as a back-up (for October only) I could run my own version. I’ve made today a template here (5 persons for the first 7 days): http://dailyfastingweightloss.blogspot.de/2016/09/fasting-challenge-oct-2016.html

What is different: reports always are about the previous day, so I can mark the correct type of fast (different colored): fast day / water fast (over 36 hours) / non-fast day.
    The sheet makes totals for every type of fast, and with the help of the colors, you can easily see the pattern.

Other notes:
    – limited number of participants (30)
    – at 3 consecutive or 5 non-consecutive missing reports the name is removed from the list.
    – weight unit: kg only.

So if you decide to go with this version on October, please tell me on this separate thread, because I do not want to be off topic on this challenge, and make harder for Debbie to keep the stats for September.
    https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/15-weeks-progress-challenge/

Atlanta,Ga/USA NFD/ Day 13:

I had a good FD yesterday. Did not succumb to my urges. They were less intense than the last FD. I had a decent 200 calorie meal last evening and that was just fine. I’m looking forward to these next two days of eating healthy. I tend to think about what I can’t eat towards the end of my FD’s, but this morning I didn’t think about it so much. I’m thinking about what I need instead. Its going to be a good week I think.

Day 13|NFD|Toronto
    Good FD yesterday. Scale showed progress for both weight and body fat this am. Challenges for today’s NFD is avoiding snacks at a social gathering plus ongoing portion control.

Day 13 / Tweed Coast Australia / NFD

I’m proud of myself. I declined sharing gluten free cheesecake that somebody bought just for me. Well, we’d made plans for me to come over to their house and they felt obliged to serve tea and something to go with it, so offered the cheesecake. I declined saying I didn’t feel like eating sweet things these days. I just don’t. I can’t believe I felt good saying this. Previously I would have felt guilty and wrong. It was such a relief to walk out of their door without cravings having been triggered from eating something I really didn’t want in the first place.

Hours later I was walking by a frozen yogurt shop, an old haunt of mine. I felt the pull to go in, check out the flavors and imagined myself sitting at a table next to the window eating a bowl of creamy fluff. I realized then that I was drawn there because I was genuinely hungry in need of some protein, so continued on and opted for a protein snack minus the sugar! It hit the spot and I feel free having made it through the labyrinth or food maze challenge that was today!

Tomorrow is a FD for me!

P.S. I find substitutes. I have a recipe for low carb paleo tortillas made only with coconut flour, psyllium powder, coconut oil, chicken or vegetable broth, cayenne pepper, ground cumin. I know it sounds like an odd combination and the texture is a bit difficult or maybe I haven’t yet perfected my technique enough, but as rudimentary as my batch turned out, they still tasted good, in fact nourishing! And even better, my toast, butter and jam loving partner liked them!

Day 13 Los Angeles. NFD. As usual I’m too busy to do anything more than just skim everyone’s interesting posts. Yesterday’s FD went well. I am ever so pleased to find that as of this morning I have lost 30 lbs since mid-March and have broken into the sub-28 BMI bracket. Hooray for me! And hooray for Debbieq – 40 lbs since April ?!?!!

Day 13 Sussex, U.K.
    NFD today.
    Finally have new router and internet back on. I was bereft. Have just managed to catch up with all the posts and am re-inspired. Off grid and ate as though no one was watching. Up about 3lbs. Now ready to go again.
    Good luck everyone.

Day 13
    Ontario
    Stayed under 800 calories yesterday, and today see no problems. Drinking lots of water, and walked early this morning 3 KM
    All good

Day 13: Gloucestershire, UK: Non-fast day. Yesterday’s fast day went well…not my usual 36-hourer though. I had porridge for bereakfast, but, importantly, nothing else all day.
    Today I am eating…and eating….sigh.
    I can’t seem to keep it in moderation. I have managed, over time, to make healthier choices, however. Nuts instead of Marzipan Ritter bars, less, or no sugar in my porridge, and starting today, ditching the apple and mango juice! I still eat far too much chocolate, but is 72% cocoa, so not as bad as it could be.
    My weight is stubbornly 2 lbs UP after yesterday’s fast day. Annoying.
    I know I am no longer fat, but there is too much on the stomach area still.

https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/book-review-8-week-blood-sugar-diet/

Wanted to post link from Dr Fung regarding the 8 week Blood Suguar Diet.
    Dr Fung considers it one of the most important books of the year.

Day 13 NJ USA FD. Extremely busy weekend running into Monday so I am back on a fast day today definitely enjoying just peace quiet and lots of tea and ice water have a good day everyone

Gozo. Malta

Today NFD until lunch then turned it into a fast day and this evening I ate only 200 calories. Tomorrow I’ll fast until lunch at 300 calories and then have a normal dinner as per NFD. That way I would still have done a fast day from 1.00 pm on Tuesday (today) to 1.00 pm Wednesday (tomorrow).

Babysat my two grandsons today except for going to church for mass this evening. My youngest daughter daughter brings her son at 6.40 in the morning to go work in Malta. Then after she comes from work at 4.00 pm I babysit my eldest daughters son so she catches up on sleep. Now she is breast pumping and I’m with her son still but afterwards I go upstairs to relax with husband before going to sleep. Ofcourse I leave the kitchen alone.

Good night everyone. Take care and stay strong.

US Day 13 NFD
    Kay65 .. Thanks for letting me know.
    Quebecoise… Welcome back. Hope you had a fantastic time!
    Elphaba .. Good for you… so happy you’re staying here with us!
    HollyLJ… I wonder if you lost a lot of water weight while you were so sick and your body is just now recovering
    Dmw2 ..s ounds like a plan. I’ll have to try that myself.
    VioletP – Yes, I do eat ¼ of my full TDEE on FD’s.
    Lael… Proud of you too for the strength you showed for resisting your triggers!
    Patti67… I know the feeling when you lose internet… it’s like someone cut off your arm. It’s awful!
    Adaline .. thanks for the offer. I think you probably collect more data than either Coda or I (me for sure) I’m sure if we don’t get a leader for October you’ll find yourself full up😊

Day 13 Edinburgh
    I’m in holiday mode, so travelling up we stayed at a lovely pub in ths Yorkshire Dales, a very pleasant evening with yummy meal and a few vlasses of wine! This morning a lush cooked breakfast, no lunch and beans on toast for supper. Fast day tomorrow and will weigh on my daughter’s scales in the morning and see what damage I’ve done!!!

Good luck all!

Gozo Malta

DebbieQ can you tell me how much calories you consume on a NFD? Is it within your TDEE?

Take care.

Anna6 .. My TDEE is 2000 but I average around 1400/1500 cal a day.

UK day 13…just made it for today’s report. NFD for me.

Adeline. Noted your information on the on October challenge unfortunately I cannot participate because I just have no idea how to send my weight in kg. I wish everyone luck in the October Challenge and hopefully by November we can get back to using pounds as well as kgs Take Care thank you

Day #13/ Mountain West USA/ FD

Australia Day 14 FD had a very successful NFD yesterday and today will do my 2nd FD for the week. I am doing it one day earlier than usual because we will have a family dinner tomorrow night. I don’t know if alternate day fasting will mean I am really hungry today but am determined to do it. Will have miso soup for lunch and cauliflower soup made with bone broth for dinner. I hope everyone has a successful day 🙂

Day 14 FD NZ
    I didn’t track yesterday’s NFD in MFP, probably still should be because I think I got off track a bit in the afternoon. Two ravenous teens waving food under my nose got the better of me and I did some unplanned snacking.
    Kept it far smaller than I normally would but still it’s the snacks that add up to push me over, especially when they are mini marshmallows and chocolate related!
    Not beating myself up about it though, today’s a FD and I’m feeling committed and strong.
    If I try to do just a little bit better each NFD eventually I’ll make all the right choices more consistently.
    I’m very much a believer in the 80/20 rule, do anything and everything the right way 80% of the time and 20% of the time I can be more relaxed about my choices.
    If I take that in a meal context that’s about 3 meals per week I can slip in a less than ideal choice and still be kind to myself, acknowledging that food is about more than nutrition and fuel, not always, but sometimes, and that’s an important distinction for me. I’m human, I need to enjoy eating not fight against it all the time.
    I’m sure many of you will disagree and are aiming for loftier goals than 80% perfect on your NFDs, but I’ve come to realise I need to be kinder with my self talk, I want to succeed and I don’t think harsh criticism and negative thoughts will help.
    Kindest and realistic expectations are the way forward for me and I’m sending you all a kind thought while I head out the door for a strength training session.

Hi all uk nfd – bit late posting but just made it.
    Lany I think we all should be a lot kinder to ourselves. We would never say the things to others that we continually say to ourselves. We beat ourselves up about things instead of giving ourselves a break. We should cut ourselves some slack a lot more and actually believe we do deserve to be kinder to ourselves. We strive for perfection and when we don’t feel we made it we feel we failed and so it continues. We need to love ourselves and be kind and forgiving.

Lany… I totally agree with you and don’t think many of us would disagree. Attaining an 80% success rate would be pretty awesome in my book.. and I say this while having a Hershey Chocolate Caramel… or six 😊

Coda an Debbie I’m so glad u agree
    I’ve had my venting moments here but I’m working everyday to be a little more kind. As you say, I wouldn’t dream of saying the things to others that I say to myself.

I just love the imagine of tiny delightful Herseys kisses being so well enjoyed without guilt….1 or 2 or 6 of them because really, whoever eats just one?

It’s delightfully comforting to converse with like minds ❤️

Day 13/ Minnesota, US/ NFD

8:30 pm here. A good NFD. I need a FD tomorrow, but we will see how that goes. I babysat my 3 month old granddaughter awhile today and will do so again tomorrow. I’m trying to help my daughter get the little sweetheart to accept a bottle of her Mom’s milk instead of thinking she needs to nurse. She will start daycare soon and needs to be able to accept a bottle from the “minders”. We are all a bit stressed about it. And, *not* a happy baby, to say the least. 😭 😳
    Going to bed to relax and re-center. Anna6, I don’t know how you do it every day with children and several grandchildren! God bless you!
    Good luck to everyone. Lovely posts about kindness to ourselves and each other. Stay strong.

Day 13: Pacific NW USA, 36 hour liquid only FD (along with you, Lou)

Yesterday was suppose to be a liquid only but it turned into a 500 cal day. I ate steamed broccoli and green beans with Shakshuka sauce and a little sliced turkey.

I started today with HIT on my stationary bike. I’ve had iced coffee, white tea and chicken broth and not feeling hungry at all (except when I scanned the recipes from Lany’s recommended book’s web site http://whatthefatbook.com/category/recipes/ and d.m.w2’s salad) so hope to last till bedtime. It’s almost the Sept halfway point so I will see what the scale has to say soon.

During Coda’s challenge last month I had volunteered to manage our challenge in November because I have 2 business trips planned in October. Along with the daily accountability and mutual support, I thrive on all the shared resources, recipes and daily exploits from around the world so I’m hoping someone on here can step up in October to keep our momentum and consistency going. I like Adaline’s data sheet too, I just get so much value from the sharing and, I might add, it seems to be our secret to success!

Day 13, Québec

I was havin a perfect NFD untill I received a phone call that made me angry… And now I’m kind of taking my revenge by eating. At least I’m conscious of what’s happening.

I appreciate Adelinés template and am wondering if we could use it and still share our personnal feelings and experiences. These comments help us learn from each other and get stronger.

My FD yesterday brought a smile on my weight this morning. Youppi !

Bye bye x

Croatia, Day 14, FD
    Weight: 77.7 Kg

Day 14 / Australian in Asia / NFD

Great to see everyone who has had a bit of a fall off the wagon getting straight back on. You all keep me so motivated.

I had a great fast day yesterday – as I said I struggled til I logged in here and though “nope, not quitting”. So thank you to each and everyone one of you (I may not do lots of personal replies, because by the time I’ve read it all I’ve forgotten who said what) but I do “cheer” and “aww, no that’s sad” at your triumphs and struggles. So glad I joined this challenge.

Well, today is the first day of “that time” for me so I’m ignoring my scales and will not worry about the scales for 4 days (still weighing – it’s good to see the changes so I’m less disheartened when I can look back at it the next time) as what they say will be meaningless for a few days.

Have a great day to everyone, fasting or otherwise.

Day 13 USA. Today was a NFD. Hoping to make tomorrow a FD just in case my OH wants to go out on Thurs night. Planning is important. Wishing everyone a great week.

Day 14, DE, IF 20/4

Ref October Challenge.
    Because already 2 persons sign up on the other thread, I will run it anyway, if it will be minimum 5 participants. Maximum remains 30.

For pounds to kg conversion you can use google. Just type “pounds to kg” and it will show a converter. It will be used only 2 times: for the start and the final weight. In the rest of the days (which are not in my template) you can write pounds.

If October Challenge in the current version can not be runned, you can use that dedicated thread for a detailed daily journal, like here, but the first row must always be exclusively destinated for info needed in my template. So always the first row will be something like this: Day x (important: this is a previous / ended day – so you know for sure what type of fast it was) – FD / WF / NFD. And after this first row you can write everything you want, like how hard was the previous fast day, or your plans for today’s fast / NFD, etc.

I will create today a new thread for October Challenge (Adaline’s ver.) and if it will be min 5 persons to sign up (max 30) we running this version too. I will post later the link here, so if it will be other questions, to redirect there.

Have a nice day! ☕🌞

Day 14 Italy – FD
    I WILL get a Fast Day under my belt today. I’m going to go as long as i can liquid only and if i have to eat i will stay under 500 calories. I can do this! Fasting is being kind to myself, eating chocolate biscuits last night is not!!😳

Adaline that sounds a bit confusing to me (and if it’s hard I know I won’t do it – I’m basically lazy) so hopefully there will be a challenge like this one. But it’s sweet of you to offer.

Go Holly! You totally can do this. And I find water fasting only until dinner so much easier – I hope you do too. Oh, and an early night. So I don’t eat my fridge.

Sunshine Coast Aus Day 14: Had a really lovely day at Noosa with husband, niece and her daughter, and 2 of my grandsons. We spent time on the beach and then had a magnificent lunch at Bistro C, a restaurant right on the beach with lovely ocean waves and a view of the headland. Glass of red wine was lovely as well.
    I’m thinking this site has given me a lot and feel I owe something back so will offer to co-ordinate the 31 day October challenge if it makes people feel easier about the style of challenge. I think the focus on sharing recipes and the like helps a lot of people and pounds, stones and lbs and kgs are all ok. I don’t need to understand it till I have to convert it all at the end of the challenge, from what I can gather. Have never kept a spreadsheet, but imagine I can follow a tutorial on my computer to set it up. (I think it is this extra glass of red wine I am drinking now that my role of designated driver is done and I relax). I would love to be able to offer the wisdom that Coda and DebbieQ have given, but will leave it to them to drop their pearls in here and there as they wish. HOWEVER if anyone else is looking at this and thinking……I’m happy to relinquish the reigns in the next month. This is not to cast any aspersions on Adeline’s offer. I’m sure there will be those who sign in for both threads. There are several other threads that I love to catch up on. There are a ton of lovely people contributing all over the place who raise me up. Anyway, let me know what you think. I’ll be on tenterhooks till you do.

hi all today is a fast day did not do one in the last 5 days though as it was a long weekend here – although i did bite into carbs and rice and occasional chocolates i didnt gain weight which was good – i did exercise though so maybe thats helped me maintain. so am still on the plateo of 66.6 – devils work i tell u wont budge from that number since beginning of september – am strong and determined from everyones post to keep at it today and this week. 87 days to go till my wedding and hoping to lose 7 to 8 kilos by than.

Australia Tweed Coast / Day 14 / FD

Fuvvie, I love Noosa! It is my favorite place in Australia. I used to live there and have asked that my ashes get scattered back onto the headland at Noosa National Park because I still consider it to be home. I would also be happy to participate with you as host of the October Challenge.

Day was going well until I began to feel snagged with TAFE assignment. I’m in the last weeks of a course at the local technical college and this last project feels so challenging that every time I look at points 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 that I’m to creatively problem solve by making something out of nothing, I get hungry! Feeling the waves of fear, angst and hunger all mixed up in one!

Thanks DebbieQ for the support! It’s nice to be celebrate small wins here! …And share our difficulties, issues and problems in such an environment where I feel everyone here understands!

Day 14 – Switzerland – NFD
    Thanks to you both, Adaline and Fuvvie, for offering to keep us in order. I’ll be bowing out for October as we have a two-week half-term break and I’m planning a digital detox (even our radio comes via the Internet here so I guess I’ll be reading a lot of books).
    Yesterday’s NFD went fine – I try to eat up to my goal-weight TDEE on NFDs so I don’t have hunger as an excuse for snacking. Lovely sunny day – good luck everyone!

Day 14 NZ FD
    Fuvvie and lael
    I think sharing the load between you both sounds great, this thread seems to be entirely based around sharing our load and relieving each other’s various burdens.
    I’ve had a great FD, all done with my 450cals for today. I’m actually looking forward to weighing in on Friday morning – don’t know what the scales will say but I feel the hint of a change in my clothes and in all honesty I’m far more interested in getting comfortably back into all my clothes than in what the scale has to say.
    I’m on board with your October thread, if it follows the simply pattern of sharing and caring that September has so far it can only be good for all of us

I understand that everyone is different motivated, so if someone can run the classical version that helped so many people, would be great. Fuvvie, I understand that you could.

But because I have already 2 sign-ups, it’s.. “unprofessional” to cancel at this moment. So for October, if it will be 5 persons signed up for my version, we’ll run that too.

All details here: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/october-challenge-adalines-ver/

So, yes, better 2 than none. 🙂

Lael’s extra post… Ooops! I was meaning that I’m happy to participate as participant. I’ve got so much on my plate, don’t feel I have the time to do justice as taking reigns of co-moderator or main support person! I was meaning to say if Fuvvie continues on as host, I’ll join in as member of group. I’m chuffed though that you’d consider me possible co-host, Lany! I feel like such a newbie, only have started 5:2 back in June!

Day 14 Australia NFD
    Water only fast yesterday went really well. Made sure I drank heaps of water, 4 litres, as I hadn’t had enough the two days before. Think that really helped as was very suprised when I checked on the scales this morning. Hoping to even get a little lower than after last fast day and made it 700 gms lower! Yay! I have been a little slow lately though so nice to move a bit like that. Another water fast again tomorrow hopefully. Still have visitors staying so not so easy, but hopefully I can as it feels great when I have accomplished it.
    Thanks you for all your wise words and sharing of experiences. I find it hard to keep track of who said what and comment on the posts when I get down to commenting myself, but they are all so encouraging and helpful and motivating. I read the last challenge before this one which I wasn’t a part of. But it really helped keep me motivated and you have all shared lots of great ideas. Thanks so much and good luck to you all.

UK day 14 – NFD…but I’ve been sort of feeling both yesterday and today that I didn’t really want to wait until tomorrow for my next FD, so I’m going to make today a lot about soup in preparation for tomorrow being a FD. No great hardship because a friend gave me a recipe for mushroom soup (not my favourite usually) that on the basis of a taster teaspoon while making is AWESOME…my not wait until lunchtime!

Day #14/USA/NFD

Happy to see the scale go down after a NFD! That is unusual! I am quite hungry this morning, so I guess I didn’t eat up to my TDEE yesterday. I don’t keep track on NFDs, but I was careful to stay low carb and it makes a difference.

Another NFD today and then back to fasting tomorrow.

Have a great day!

Day 14, Australia, FD

Not my usual 36 hour fast, today was under 500 calories and I’m fasting again until lunch tomorrow so all up it should work out to be 500 cals in 44 / 45 hours.

My clothes are feeling very comfortable and my hubby tells me I’m looking radiant….serious folks that’s the word he used!!

Hope everyone is winning their battles. VP

Hi UK day 14 NFD but haven’t eaten yet as just not hungry so will see how it goes as the day progresses.

FUVVIE – many thanks for putting your hand up – I would have taken over if no one else had volunteered. It is quite easy and you don’t need any specific skills and you don’t need to work from a spread sheet either. Pen, ruler and paper will suffice if it suits better albeit a spread sheet may make putting everything in order a little easier to find names. To keep it simple just list the names of people participating and tick the days they check in. I listed everyone and printed it off and ticked everyone in manually. I think identifying if someone has gone awol and it is mentioned it keeps us on our toes – that we are not anonymous. I put notes on ie if someone is going on holiday or away for the weekend or hasn’t checked in for a while and if needed they are deleted. I also put wee notes if someone has a birthday or something has happened. I never give Neo a tick but put his weight so I can see how our silent man is doing lol. You don’t need to convert lbs to kgs or vice versa either everyone knows what they lost and in the currency they lost it in. I think it was only in the first challenge I put a collective weight loss but in subsequent ones I didn’t and I don’t think anyone really missed it.

ADALINE – thank you so much for offering your obvious skills, it is very much appreciated. Anything that helps people keep accountable is to be welcomed. To be honest as I usually view the posts on my phone when I looked at your spreadsheet I felt a bit out of my depth. These monthly challenges work for me and I hope for others. But if anyone wants to do a tandem challenge please feel free or if one works better don’t worry – this is all about trying things out and tweaking things around.

Stay strong x

UK day 14 FD for me today, then I’m away for a few days , I will aim to sign in, but if not will catch up on Saturday. Well done Fuvvie for stepping up, Hopefully it won’t be too much work,think most of us are pretty well behaved now, Adaline – wow your set up looks amazing , but aimed for people a bit more data driven than me 😀

Day 14 Edinburgh, UK.

Thankyou fuvvie, I know you will be a great coordinator for the next challenge. You have been really supportive and motivating since I started 5.2 on the May challenge! Ive enjoyed being on this journey with everyone and it really works with being accountable, posting daily.
    I love reading everyone’s posts but do find it hard to remember who said what and to respond and be as supportive as I would wish. We are all juggling work, family, friends and whatever life throws at us! And then trying to look after ourselves to get fit and be more healthy! I think we’re all pretty amazing!!!

Queb – I remember being in the same place a few weeks ago one person made my life really difficult (a family member which makes it harder) and the emotional eating kicked in! I was angry with myself for allowing this person to ‘get under my skin’ I had benn doing so well! I had such great support from my fellow 5.2ers. You are doing this for you, please don’t allow this person to throw you off the horse! They simply are not worth it! x

So today I weighed on my daughter’s scales they put me 1kg heavier which I’m fine about as I’ll use it as my marker. Fast day today so far so good! I’ve done my pilates and strength exercises. I’ll have my miso soup at midday and planning an omelette with veg this evening.

Very best of luck everyone, stay strong, dont beat yourself up for small blips! Climb back on that horse, don’t look back to yesterday look forward, each day is an opportunity to get back on track.

Busted. I like statistics. 🙂

Good that Fuvvie can take over.

☕🌞

Day 14. Sussex U.K.
    FD.
    Thanks Fuvvie. I will be with you in October, please. I find the spreadsheet thing a bit intimidating at present but so lovely that Adaline is doing something like that. Something on here to suit everyone.
    Well said Rocy, every day is a new opportunity.

Day 14- Boiling London again!!

Had a good NFD yesterday even though I was out to dinner! Had a few chips and felt very full so that is good news. NFD again for me – 20 HIIT session this morning and planning a salad for lunch and a small dinner as I won’t be home until 8pm.

Hope everyone is doing well and have a good day 🙂

Back2thefuture thankyou for the link to what the fat website! Just what I’ve been looking for! Really explains low carb healthy fats way of life!

Viewing 50 posts - 751 through 800 (of 1,414 total)

You must be logged in to reply.