September 2020 Monthly Challenge — SALUBRIOUS SEPTEMBER

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
September 2020 Monthly Challenge — SALUBRIOUS SEPTEMBER

This topic contains 541 replies, has 32 voices, and was last updated by  NorthGeorgia 3 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 549 total)

• Greetings to all newcomers, regulars, and those we haven’t seen in a while. Welcome to a new monthly challenge: Salubrious September! It has been a difficult year for us all with the ongoing Coronavirus health crisis, and believe it or not, autumn is already in the air. But there is some great news: this is going to be a fantastic month for losing weight and approaching better health! Please pat yourselves on the back for making this decision. Just being here and challenging yourself to do this for at least one month (You can do anything for one month, can’t you???) means you’ve got at least one foot on the right path. Be sure to set realistic goals, be kind to yourself, fight hard, think big, and believe in yourself. We didn’t put on the weight overnight, so we shouldn’t expect to lose it overnight, but slow and steady will win the race!

In May 2016, @coda started the very first of the monthly challenges, and they continue to be an invaluable and unique source on the Internet for amazing support, advice and friendship, providing many of us the motivation to start and continue on our 5:2 journey. These challenges are the ULTIMATE aid to success!!!
    There are no hard and fast rules to follow, but we’ll stick with what has always worked:

• DO start your post with the day of the month; your location (as general as you like, no stalkers please), as it’s nice to see just how international we are; and the type of day you intend to have (FD,NFD, WFD, CD etc see list below) For example, if you join in from Manchester, UK on September 14 with your first day of fasting your first line might read, “Day 14 — Manchester, UK — FD” If you want to make a new post in the same day, feel free to do so, just put “second post” or “third post,” etc., as your first line.

• Do briefly introduce (or re-introduce) yourself in the very first post, what are you hoping to achieve from this Way of Life (WOL), and your journey so far (including ups, downs & the dreaded plateaus)! Also if you want to share, include your starting weight and any other measurements (waist, hip, neck, etc.) you aim to keep track of throughout the month. You can record this on the spreadsheet if you would like. You can include these in the posts if you’d like. Or you can choose to do neither.

• You can add as much or as little to your posts as you want or as time dictates, as we all have lives to live!!! Questions, queries, thoughts, musings, moans, secrets (non-criminal only!!), and of course successes. In fact, anything you feel like you want to share with the rest of us strangers, anonymity has its rewards!! Had a good day? – Let us know. Had a bad day? – Let us know. Hanging on for dear life by your last remaining fingernail? – Definitely let us know; there’s always someone here ready to drag you back onto the wagon!!!

• Log on as many times as you want to, as there’s always someone online. That is the beauty of this international forum — we cater for ALL time zones😂!!! There will be someone to answer any queries, or offer support & advice if you need it!!!
    Originally there were small groups doing their own mini-challenges (B2B2Bs, LFDs etc) – called ‘pocket fasters’ or ‘pocketeers.’ They would set a target and support each other through it, either by writing down the list of participants and keeping it in their pockets or just by visualising fellow pocketeers which would give them much needed support if things got tough!

Recently, there have just been FD pocket lists along with some other mini challenges/groups such as DTF (Dry ‘til Friday), ZBC (Zero Breakfast Club), and 30-minute exercise daily lists. In the past there were also pocket lists such as Egg fasters, Hula-hoopers, Plank challengers, and Club Tor-twah🐢 for those finding themselves in a super slow weight loss period! Anyone can start or join one of these groups or even start a Pocket List – it’s entirely up to you.

You may have some questions that have already been answered, so try this wonderful thread from @simcoeluv below:

https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

I would like to personally thank @at for providing us with this month’s spreadsheet, which will be posted in a separate entry later.

Best wishes to all of you in Salubrious September!

ABBREVIATION LIST

Here’s the list of common abbreviations used throughout this challenge and added to on an ongoing basis:

16:8 – 16 hours fast 8 hours non fast
    5:2 – 5 days NFD:2 days IF
    ADF – Alternate Day Fasting (FD – NFD – FD – etc. etc. etc.…….)
    B2B – Back to Back (consecutive FDs)
    BMR – Basal metabolic Rate
    CFD – Controlled Fast Day (a FD below your goal weight TDEE, whatever that is!!!)
    DH,DD, DS – Darling Husband Daughter, Son
    DTF – Dry ‘Til Fri (for those limiting the booze to weekend only ………….. & aiming for sainthood!!!!)
    EE – Emotional Eating (reflex grazing out of a need for instant comfort instead of satisfying hunger)
    EFS – Epic Face Stuffing (we’ve all had one of those days……………. Definitely due to a faulty OFF button!)
    FD – Fast Day (500 cals)
    HUNGER DRAGON 🐉 – that dreadful psychological beast that sometimes cannot be satisfied. Some people even name theirs (e.g. @i-hate-lettuce has an inner warthog!)
    IF – Intermittent Fasting
    Keto – way of eating that generates Ketones
    K.I.S.S. – Keep It Simple Stupid!!!………………or Sexy!!!
    LC – Low Carb way of eating
    LCHF – Low Carb High Fat way of eating
    LFD – Liquid Fast Day (incl. tea, coffee, miso, bone broth & water)
    LOL – Laughing Out Loud
    M/WOAM – Man/Woman on a Mission (courtesy of @i-hate-lettuce)
    MFD – Modified Fast Day (800 cals) on the new Fast800, it’s a FD
    NFD – Non Fast Day
    OH – Other Half (eg spouse/partner)
    OMAD – One Meal A Day
    PFDS – Post FD Smugness (courtesy of @penz)
    TDEE – Total Daily Energy Expenditure (see the ‘how it works’ link on the home page to work out yours)
    TRE – Time Restricted Eating
    WFD – Water Fast Day (Water only)
    WFH – Working From Home ……………….. Covid-19 enforced!!!
    WOL – Way of Life
    WOCA – Women Of a Certain Age
    ZBC – Zero Breakfast Club

Please count me in for September. I’m away to Italy for the first two weeks ( going to Italy all the time was what got me into trouble in the first place…). Going to keep on with OMAD, as it works just fine, and will attempt (😳😳) to swerve Campari spritzes. As if…..

I’m in for September!

And thanks @northgeorgia for hosting. 💐 🌷 🌹

@northgeorgia – A big THANK YOU for hosting this SALUBRIOUS SEPTEMBER – I’m in and here is the link for the spreadsheet – I have copied the names of those who were in the August Challenge and so as people join the September challenge names will be changed from RED to BLACK

Can someone let me know if I have set the access so everyone can edit their line please!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Q7RKiDFAWwlScyIiiYqT5KTVYLYOAe6GiNiwsQNQlQ8/edit?usp=sharing

Remember that “If I quit now, I will soon be back to where I started. And when I started, I was desperately wishing to be where I am now”

@at Thank you! It looks like spreadsheet access is open. I appreciate it!

WELCOME MESSAGE

Hello! I am your honored host for this month’s challenge: Salubrious September! For those who haven’t looked up “salubrious” yet, Merriam-Webster defines it as “favorable to or promoting health or well-being” while Oxford defines it as both “health-giving; healthy” and “(of a place) pleasant; not run-down.” The word entered English in the 1540s, from the Latin “salubris,” also meaning “promoting health.” The 5:2 WOL is primarily designed to promote a healthy lifestyle and as a side benefit, it also works to help get us a healthy weight.

I will be joining in with you on this month’s challenge. A little bit about myself: I live on the fringe of the Atlanta suburbs in the foothills/piedmont region of northeastern Georgia in the USA. I’m a 46 year old man who has been struggling with weight gain, particularly over the past ten years. I realized I had a problem in 2012, when I first saw a photo of myself at 225 lbs. I got serious and started tracking and attempting methods to lose weight in 2016 when I weighed 247 lbs. After many, many failures, I was headed to disaster when in January 2020 I weighed in at a very hefty 279 lbs.

From that point through the first couple months of the pandemic, I succeeded in losing about eight pounds, very slowly and with difficulty, much as I had done many times in the past before gaining three times the amount back! On May 10, I was searching YouTube for any tips or advice, but this time I came across the concept of intermittent fasting and was impressed by the clips featuring the 5:2 fast by Michael Mosley. I knew that controlling calories had helped me lose weight in the past, but it was so hard to know how many calories were in a slice of pizza, a piece of birthday cake, or a Thanksgiving meal. I also knew that despite best efforts, occasionally I might want to have a Dr. Pepper, go to an all-you-can-eat seafood buffet, or eat a sandwich actually made of bread! I really wasn’t sure if restricting calories to just 500-600 a day, twice a week, would work for me or not, but I had nothing to lose, and better yet, it sounded like a way of life (WOL) I could sustain over time. So I decided to give it a try, starting the next day, weighing in at 271 lbs.

The first week was very hard, but I soon got the hang of it. If any newcomers are reading this, please ask us for tips about those first difficult fast days! I have just completed my 32nd fast day (Aug 27) and today I weigh 245 lbs. In other words, I have experienced a 34 lb. weight loss this year (yes, through the pandemic!!!). I still have a long road ahead, but I cannot tell you how wonderful it feels to watch the numbers trend downward for months on end. The last time I weighed 245 lbs. was almost exactly three years ago! Don’t fret if your pace of weight loss slows, or slows down to a plateau — keep it up; within a short period of time you should start to see the numbers continue to trickle downward. If not, ask for tips!

If you need help setting a month’s goal, try weighing yourself weekly and see how you trend. Most medical advice recommends losing about 1-2 lbs. a week, and that is what I seem to average without a lot of effort (except sometimes I have to be careful not to overindulge on the weekends — read the Resources about TDEE). Even if your weight loss is well under 1-2 lbs. a week, think long-term: look month to month. Is your weight dropping even by a lb. (or kg.) or two? Then it’s working, and your goals might need adjusting accordingly. Be kind to your body and your mind! Remember that the weight didn’t pop on overnight so it won’t come off that fast either! But you will, like me, soon be able to fit into that next smaller size shirt or pair of trousers that you had just boxed away in storage. Success!

Again, you can use your own spreadsheet, the tracker under Resources, or our special September challenge spreadsheet ( https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Q7RKiDFAWwlScyIiiYqT5KTVYLYOAe6GiNiwsQNQlQ8/edit?usp=sharing ) to see your results after a month. Or if you prefer not to use these tools, it’s fine! There are many ways people motivate themselves and track their progress. Throughout September, we will be sharing some of these ideas with each other!

I look forward to seeing a healthier, lighter you on September 30!

What an inspirational post North Georgia. I have to confess that I pop over to this forum to see how you are getting on. Well done!

@northgeorgia thanks for leading the Salubrious September Challenge and @at for making the spreadsheet! I’m definitely in, it will be my first month back in maintenance and I plan to stay there.

@Noethgeorgia, count me in for Salubrious September …………………. Loving the title!!!!😁

I’ll be away in September but will still be keeping up with this wol.
    I’ll pop in when I can as it keeps me accountable.

Count me in. I have really enjoyed all your support and comments for August

Thank you @fourbaby for guiding me along and to @northgeoria for taking me on for September.

USA. Day 1. CD

My computer is doing much better, so I will be joining September! Hope everyone had successes in August! I can’t believe it’s about to turn September already!!

Thank you for sharing your story. Hearing about others’ challenges is reassuring and encouraging. I lost 20lb a few years ago on a famous scheme but the diet regime is not one that is very ‘sociable’ and I can do 5:2 more easily. However I’m still struggling to loose the last 7-14lbs and it seems impossible! (1lb off/ 2 lb on). I eat healthily (lots of fruit and veg, no meat) but have learnt from MM book that I still need to make some changes. I’ve determined to start afresh and I’m up for the September challenge!
    Jenny WOCA Northampton

Count me in.

@northgeorgia Thank you for hosting this Salubrious September challenge and please count me in.
    What wonderful opening posts from you!!!!! It’s going to be a great month!

I’m in for a Salubrious September!

I’m a 61YO female, I’m 5’4″ and I weigh about 152 (you all understand using “about” in weight, right??? LOL) Using 5:2, I lost almost 30 lbs in 2015 and then put it all back on by eating way too much on NFDs. In 2019, I gave up even pretending I was doing 5:2; since my weight didn’t change, it was very clear I hadn’t actually been doing 5:2. When 2020 showed up on my calendar, I started thinking I perhaps finally had the determination needed to again lose weight, so resumed 5:2 on February 26. I weighed 165.4 at that time, so in these six months, I’ve lost 13 pounds.

In late July I heard about Fast5, where you choose which five hours of the day you’re allowed to eat. I started in on that a week before we left for two week’s vacation where we ate VERY well. I stuck to Fast5 the entire time, however, with only two days “off” and came home 3 lbs heavier. That seemed a small price for how well/much we ate/drank. Since then I’ve continued Fast5 and done FDs twice a week, and have lost three pounds in those two weeks, so I’m seeing Fast5 combined with FDs being a good fit for me.

My overall goal is to get to at least 137, at which point I’ll consider 132, at which point I’ll consider 125.

My action goal for September:
    1. Exercise for 30 minutes on five days of every week.
    2. Get at least 36K steps per week
    3. Stick to Fast5, having a FD two days a week; the only exception is Sunday when I’ll begin eating at Brunch after church.
    4. DTF every week

My desired results for September:
    1. Burning at least 1900 calories daily
    2. Going into ketosis and staying there because of limited alcohol (beer is my weakness)
    3. Losing 5 pounds so that I weigh 147.anything
    4. If 5 pounds proves more than my action goals produce, at least in the 140s

@northgeorgia what an inspirational post.

I am in for Salubrious September! What a mouthful but so very apt.

My goal this month is to commit to logging on every month, and to be intentional every day about my choices.

I can’t face the scale right now; but sometime this month intend to step on the scale – for now clothing fir will be my gauge.

I wish everyone a successful month

Day 1, CD, Aus

Hello everyone and thank you @northgeorgia for continuing this fabulous, supportive and hosting this month. Such an inspirational post from you.

Having PFDS this morning. The sun is shining, and these are all good ways to kick off the month.

Me? I’m an Aussie living in the nation’s capital with OH and 2 dogs. Have been doing 5:2 on and off for 3 years ish. When I commit and stick with it, the weight comes off. However, I like my vino too much and I know that my weekend calorie intake is the undoing of me.

So here is to a super salubrious September!

Day 1 / NZ / Fast5
    Sept Start Weight: 66.2kg
    Thank you @northgeorgia for the opening post – was great to read your story, so interesting.
    I started the August group at 67.7kg and lost 1.5kg over the month even with falling badly off the wagon several times, so would like to aim to hit the “64s” by end of September.
    Action plan:
    *More planned (4 walks or runs per week 30min or more)and unplanned (gardening) movement
    *Water – 3+ litres per day
    *2 x FDs per week / Fast5 4 days / 1 free weekend day (not to overeat but no time restrictions)

I’m excited to get September underway and nice to feel motivation in this area after all the years (20+) that this extra 5-10kg unwanted heaviness has constantly occupied draining space & energy in my mind!!

Take care all.

Day 1 – Japan – NFD

Yesterday I did a water fast. That was easy, the hard thing is controlling my eating today.

I’m not really fasting for weight loss, although my weight is up about 1.5 kilograms, maybe. It seems my bottom seems smaller though because I wearing the pants there were hard to wear before. I actually feel a bit over plump and my BMI is a high 26. (I was deep in the 30’s when I started.) However I been doing a lot of upper body exercises. Still 0.5 kg is a HUGE amount of muscle … still leaving 1kg. Hmmmm.

My goal in fasting now is health. I find the 5:2 pattern easy enough and in the current pandemic I staying away from longer fasts that have a much higher impact on the body.

I prefer water fasting. I’m very binary. Eating or not eating. I tend to go unstable in between those states. I admire the people that can manage that.

Day 1, Emden Germany, FD

Hi everyone!

I’m a Dutchwoman living in the North of Germany, married, owner of an adorable cat, 64 y.o, 163 cm/5ft 4in tall. My weight was 56 kg/123.5lbs all my adult life until starting a new job in 2011 where my weight crept up to 72.9 kg. I read the book and joined the challenges on and off from March 2017 on. I lost 20 kg very quickly but gained much of it back. From this month on I’m trying to maintain my weight. My goal weight is 60 kg/132.3lbs, my weight today is 59.5 kg/131.2lbs. My DH starts at 76.9kg/169.5lbs and he plans to go to 75 kg/165.4lbs (BMI 22.4).

Pocket list day 1
    @snowflake56

ZCB day 1
    @snowflake56

Exercise30x5 day 1
    @snowflake56 💃

Have a nice day everyone!

Day 1 – Ireland 🇮🇪 – FD

Super inspirational post @northgeorgia, you’ve dragged me back onto the wagon today!

About me, 53, Female, 5’2, slim all my life until I stopped smoking in 2002 (best health decision I ever made), then weight crept on. At my heaviest I was 175lb in 2013, lost 50lbs using the Dukan, but gained 30lbs back by summer 2017. Found this forum and this WOL in August 2017 and the 30lbs were gone by Spring 2018.

Due to a change to a sedentary office job (from a busy horticulture on my feet all day job) the pounds are popping in again and I have gained 20 back.

I plan to shift something this month, I am more or less maintaining at this weight (150) that I don’t want to be. Fast5 might be something I take up this month.

Have a great day, I am on ALL the lists today, already done my Leslie walk….looking forward to a good day.

Day 1 – Lake district UK – CFD

Good morning everyone

Another fresh start, the monthly challenge never feels too onerous, it’s just a relatively short time, but stitch them all together, brilliant.

I’m Barry, a 65 year old guy who through the last 13 monthly challenges has managed to lose 39 lb, almost 18 kg! still a way to go, but have settled into this WOL. Currently = 226 lb or 103 kg.

August was the most spectacularly weird month going, have a ‘bit of a health issue’ 😉 which has involved incredible amount tests/expensive machinery/surgery etc, (more still to follow) but this WOL and this motivational group have been a big help! I’m not good with groups usually, but call in on the monthly challenge each morning and find it really helpful, especially at the moment.

So my target for this month, lose 3lb, that would take me to 15st 13lb.

The good news for the start of the month is…. yesterday for the first time in just over 3 weeks, almost managed 10000 steps, had to do it in two lots and it wasn’t anywhere near a MOAM walk, rather slow, but got there! Feeling good this morning and the sun shining, so going to try and see if we can get round one of our ‘proper walks’ today.

Nearly got there last night, weekly Rugby round up program on the TV …. almost got a beer! Not even given it a thought for the last week, but swallowing better now, hmmm an evening beer and toast for breakfast! That’s my kind of motivation!

Take care all

Day 1, London, UK, LFD

I’m starting this challenge as I mean to continue, in control and mindful. So it’s a LFD for me and I truly need it as the water consumption has been pretty bad this week, not what you need for a whoosh!!!

I’ve posted my farewell post on Auspicious August, only a -2lb loss last month, so the report card reads …………………………. “Flourbaby must do better”😩

Anyway, the plan this month is no different to last month, except I’ll actually stick to it!! Oh yes, I forgot to mention ……………………………. it’ll be a DRY month😱😱!!!!

Aims for this month
    1. Stick to ADF or 4:3
    2. Lose 5lbs+ & get into the size 10 trousers👖
    3. Drink 3 Litres of water per day……..NO less!!!
    4. Increase my steps to get ‘close’ to 10,000 per day.
    5. Limit my refined carbs & processed ‘treats’ ………………….. ADF does NOT mean NFD free-for-Alls!!!!
    6. Swerve the vino🍷 🍾🥂 !!!

‘Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory’ Dr Seuss

Final Post – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD

Final weigh-in for August = 71kgs, so +half a kilo. But I started off the month with plenty of wiggle room, so I’m right on my target weight, & I’m declaring August another successful month! 😃

So I’ve decided to take a break from the Challenges for a while. I’ve done the last 16 now, so I think I’ve earned it 😜

I’ll still be doing my Monday/Thursday fast days,TRE, DTF & two meals the rest of the week; & I’ll be having an occasional sneaky peek at how everyone is doing on the forum. Wishing everyone a Salubrious September!

D1 MFD Lake District UK

Goodbye August and hellooo Salubrious September.

Well I am still here which has been one of my challenges in August to just see it through.

I am a 63 year old female living with my OH in the north west of England, the Lake District.

I started my weight lost journey this time round early in 2019 calorie counting. I started TRE in May 2019 and in October 2019 did the Fast 800 where I got to my goal weight. Since then I have really struggled to maintain and am now 1.9kg above it.

My aims for this month are

1. See it out and continue to post every day
    2. Stick to doing 5:2/4:3 for 3 days CD for 2 days and no count NFD for the remaining 2 days but be mindful of what I am eating.
    3. Continue with TRE minimum of 16:8 and joining the ZBC
    4. Continue with increasing my steps every day to 10,000.

Pocket list day 1
    @snowflake56
    @kazoo

ZCB day 1
    @snowflake56
    @kazoo

Exercise30x5 day 1
    @snowflake56 💃
    @kazoo

Day 1 Oxfordshire, UK – FD
    @northgeorgia – thanks for hosting.
    Hello everyone. I’m a 59 female, retired. 1 DH, 1 DD with partner, 1 DS & 1 cocker spaniel.
    Lost 3 stone with 5:2 2014-15. Gradually put some of that back on. Started the challenges in August 2019.
    I’m just on the top end of my maintenance weight.
    If all goes according to plan I’ll be away for this challenge. Not sure what internet coverage I’ll have so I’ll check in when I can.
    I’m intending to have 2 FDs today and tomorrow. Travelling Thursday so not sure what food will be available.
    Then going forward I’m aiming for 2 FDs each week. I’ll try to keep a diary as though I was posting which will keep me mindful of what I should be doing. This is a WoL and I should be able to follow it whilst away.
    Have a good month everyone.

Day 1 – USA/GA – NFD

Salubrious September has arrived! This lovely 30-day month is the transition point between the summer (or winter) into warmer (or cooler) weather! It’s one of those “shoulder seasons” for a lot of the world where maybe there are better opportunities to get outdoors and do a little gardening, walking, or other exercise.

What activities do you plan to do this month that have been difficult in the past couple of months? For me, it’s resuming my 30 minute every-other-day walks in the evening.

My weigh-in this morning is 246 lbs. There’s a sign over the door of the “240s Club” that reads, “Dance the night away at the 240s Club this September!” That’s my goal. I may not get out of the club this month, but I’ll be waiting for a taxi at the door by the end of the month! (Motivational Tip: break your weight loss journey into smaller segments and metaphorically rename those segments something silly and fun!)

Congratulations to those who met their goals in Auspicious August, and good luck to everyone on the pocket lists today! Here’s to more results in September!

Day 1 USA (Illinois) NFD

I am happy to be signing in for another challenge. I’m an old-timer around here having begun with @coda in May ’16 needing to lose 40 pounds. I began at nearly 200# (90 kg.) and got to 160# (72.5) over 10 months. Being 72 y.o. I am content at maintaining that weight to keep away some wrinkles.

Retired school music teacher, still do private piano lessons and church music, but the choir I direct for our town is on hiatus until a vaccine for COVID is found. Other activities and meetings are also on hold or Zoom. I do try to exercise 3x a week with Silver Sneakers for we Senior Citizens.

These forums over the years have kept me on the “straight and narrow” so not to gain back what I lost. Maintenance is a constant for me!

I look forward to getting to know you newbies, keeping up with us seasoned veterans, and discovering ways we can help each other.

@northgeorgia – you’re doing a fabulous job hosting! Thank you for your efforts!

Onward and downward.

Day 1 UK NFD

Hi all, I’m late fifties live on the South Coast of England with my husband and currently our eldest son is with us too.

I’m a repeat offender – for most of my adult life I’ve lost 15/20 lbs been happy for a bit then put it back on and started again , I’m hoping this time it’ll be different for a start my husband has joined me on my 2 OMAD fasts each week and I really think it’s some thing we’ll keep up and this time round I’ve had to work so hard and the weight has been so slow to shift I really owe it to myself to stay at a good weight I’m nearing my goal and would love to join the maintenance gang

Im not setting a weight loss target for September but I’m sticking with low carbs Plan to stay on track with exercise and I’m optimistic Thanks for leading us @northgeorgia Here we go

Day 1 North Canton OH LFD

I love day 1, its always so hopeful and fresh- like anything is possible.

My goal for this month is to find my focus, center myself, and be mindful every day.

I am staying away from nuts(almonds and cashews). I have found I am unable to consume in moderation so I will stay away just for this month to break the cycle
    I am exercising every day – this aamazing program on beachbody “100 day morning meltdown” I am on day 45
    Morning jogs 4-5 times a week
    Load up on legumes, veggies and lean protein
    Save my treats to one day a week

All of the above should get me in a more disciplined mindset. I am here for it 😁

USA. Day 1. CD

Yay! I am back and computer isn’t acting up! I am starting the month with a controlled day and I am resting after a very active day yesterday!

Have a great day, everyone!

Day 1 – Rural Nebraska, USA – Fast5

Well, I’m starting the month at 152.4. That’s a pound higher than I was hoping, but it’s also 13# lighter than when I started in late February, so I’m choosing to focus on the long-term and call it a success.

I’ve discovered something over the last week of consistently doing Leslie walks and being at 6K or more steps daily: if I only do Leslie, then my fitbit shows roughly 30 minutes activity and I end up at 1700-1800 calories burned for the day. If I add in a walk in the evening (not even necessarily brisk…as often as not, it’s a stroll) then my activity levels moves to 60 minutes and I’m at 1950-2050 calories burned for the day. That’s with everything else being stable: steps walked, miles covered, etc.

So, to answer your question, @northgeorgia, something DH and I will do this month is to take evening strolls with the goal of getting me at 2K calories burned daily.

@jennyd, welcome! Your handle is new to me; are you new to the group, or have I simply not heard from you in the past?
    @funshipfreddie, @suki2, we’ll miss you; have a grand September!
    @annette52, do you have a different forum where you spend most of your time? By all means join us here! 🙂
    @kazoo, I’m shaking my head at the thought of living with that diagnosis; I’m so glad you and DH are both in good health and are physically fit, since that’s such a big part of maintaining his health.
    @ccco, so good to have you back!
    @time4me, what great results you had for August!
    @basyjames, I’m so impressed at your exercise successes!

Pocket list day 1
    @snowflake56
    @kazoo
    @daffodil2010

ZCB day 1
    @snowflake56
    @kazoo
    @daffodil2010

DTF day 1
    @daffodil2010
    @stitchincarol

Exercise30x5 day 1
    @snowflake56 💃
    @kazoo
    @daffodil2010
    @stitchincarol

Okay, out of all the quotes I’ve read, and all the quotes I’ve posted, @at‘s is my favorite, hands-down. My second favorite? “It’s going to be hard, but hard is not impossible.” So here’s to embracing “hard” with vigor this Salubrious September!

USA. Day 1. CD

I just checked and saw that NorthGeorgia ia our leader this month. Thank you!

Day 1 – UK – TDEE

What a glorious day to start this SALUBRIOUS SEPTEMBER CHALLENGE – Thank you @northgeorgia for hosting us and @flourbaby – thank you for your wonderful hosting of the Auspicious August Challenge 🤗

Weigh in this morning surprised me with a 55kg dead – now to keep the momentum going for the rest of the challenge!! It is a beautiful sunny day here and I went to have a haircut which was much needed and long overdue – amazing how a good haircut makes you feel!!!!!

Welcome to @annette52 and @jenny-d and great to see the familiar faces back again – let us make September a month to remember!

For those new to these challenges a little bit about myself:-
    I am a 62y.o. female living with my OH, we have a married daughter who has 4 fur babies – 3 cats and an adorable beagle called Archie.
    Height = 165cm/5ft 4in
    I started this WOL on my own in January 2016 as I was fed up with being overweight and wanted to get fitter!
    I decided to join the challenges in November 2016 as I had plateaued for around 3 months but managed to reach maintenance in early December 2016 with the help of these challenges and have remained in maintenance range of 54-56kg/119-123.5lbs and a BMI of just over 20 since then!
    Total weight loss = 22kg/3st 7lbs
    I retired in December 2013 and moved to the Lake District – best decision we ever made – OH and I love our new life here!
    In my retirement discovered a love for exercise, currently doing yoga 🙏 which I discovered over 5 years ago and it has just been the best thing for me, both physically and mentally. I also do Broga, pilates, aerobics and hiking on the fells in my beloved Lake District ⛰ and in my spare time do some volunteering in my local community

My personal motto since reaching maintenance has been “If I quit now, I will soon be back to where I started. and when I started, I was desperately wishing to be where I am now”

Day 1 Canada FD

As always I am so glad to be starting a new challenge. I am a 59 year old woman who started these three years ago and was doing really well until some health challenges happened. When the pandemic hit I totally lost the plot and quickly put on 3kgs with lots of wine and way too much eating. Coming back to the challenges turned that around thank goodness and I have lost 3.5kgs and am 59.8kg today. I love to be active and am always working on my fitness. I work seasonally and am flat out at the moment so won’t be checking in every day but will be with you!Hope to lose 1kg and get close to maintenance….

@floubaby swerving the wine for the month!! I will be with you for most of it, including days that feature pasta:)

Pocket list day 1
    @snowflake56
    @kazoo
    @suki2
    @bellyblast

ZCB day 1
    @snowflake56
    @kazoo
    @bellyblast

Exercise30x5 day 1
    @snowflake56 💃
    @kazoo

USA. Day 1. CD

Do you have a dry till Friday list? I didn’t see it but if we do, I would like to be on it. I wasn’t sure what ZCB meant?? Thanks!

Day 1 – second post

@ccco, ZBC means “zero breakfast club.” Here are the updated lists:

Pocket list day 1
    @snowflake56
    @kazoo
    @daffodil2010
    @suki2
    @bellyblast

ZBC day 1
    @snowflake56
    @kazoo
    @daffodil2010
    @bellyblast
    @stitchincarol

DTF day 1
    @daffodil2010
    @stitchincarol
    @ccco

Exercise30x5 day 1
    @snowflake56 💃
    @kazoo
    @daffodil2010
    @stitchincarol

I may not have caught all the names for each list, so if you’re not on here, feel free to copy and update it correctly.

USA. Day 1. CD

Thank you, stitchincarol!

Day 1 Minnesota, USA CD

I’m starting the month at 167.6lbs (76.2kg) which is down from my highest weight ever, of 175.6lbs end of July.

Little about myself:
    I’m 63 years old, 5 ft 6 1/2 in tall (169 cm) and at 26.2 BMI. Retired Registered Nurse. Married to DH, who is still working. We live fairly close to DD, SIL, and two granddaughters who are under 10 years, so we do see them frequently……out of doors and with distancing and masks when appropriate. We also have a DS and his wife and their two teenage children, girl and boy, living within four hours of travel, but last saw them was at the end of February. We also have a much loved tabby cat who is also overindulged and on the chubby side. He’s going to be losing a pound or more for his health, too. He will not be happy.

I first started 5:2, at 168lbs, the highest I’d been to that point, in May of 2016 and was a member of the first challenge that @coda set up for May 2016. I went on to lose about 30 lbs in 6 months. I took a break from the forum but stayed in maintenance for several months, then gradually stopped fasting and the weight came back. I have re-set a couple of times since then, and have had the most success when also participating in the challenges. But then life happens and I fall off the 5:2 wagon.

My ultimate goal is to find the right balance of fasting, activity, and participation in the forums to keep me at a consistent and healthy weight for the rest of my days. It seems to get harder to lose and keep it off the older I get, and I need to commit to this as my WOL.

I can look back and see how stress in different situations has been directly linked to my weight gain, and sometimes used as an excuse to indulge in eating and drinking more than I knew I should. It’s the absolute worst way to deal with stress and I will really work on finding healthy and hopefully enjoyable ways to cope.

I’m going to do 5:2, ZBC. 16:8 or Fast5, DTF, Exercise 30 x 5 and see what happens with weight. No specific goal, but it would be nice to lose another 4 pounds or 2 kg this month

Day 1 UK

First a big thank you to @flourbaby for hosting August and for making your posts such fun to read.
    Next a big thank you to@northerndawn for hosting September.

I have been doing 5:2 for 3 months so far and have to confess to not moving very quickly downward.
    This is due to steroid medication for poly myalgia rheumatica which I contracted last August. I am very slowly reducing but it will take a lot longer for me.

I think I must be the oldest one on this site, female, 5’5” and 83 years old. People who don’t know me think I am in my early 70’s. I did 5:2 2 years ago as I felt the pounds creeping on and got down to 147 lbs which. was fine but steroids made me put on weight and at I ended up at 163 lbs. I have made a determined effort to lose some as the meds are very slowly being decreased and am now at 154.

Too late to put on list today but will sign up tomorrow.

@stitchincarol. Re paper and pencil recording. I use an iPad to write my posts and also have an iPhone.
    I will carry on with with paper but will try reading posts on phone and typing my post on iPad to see if that helps. I also have a very old laptop which I rarely use but am open to suggestions. I hope I have attributed this last sentence to the right person. I will get better I promise.

Tomorrow should be a good day as consists of no solid food ready for Thursday.

TTFN

Day 1 UK FD

Well I’m so happy to be back! Went a bit AWOL last month after reaching my 60 Kg target. This morning was up 2 at 62 Kg and afraid was heading back down the slippery slope . So here I am, back on track, back on the wagon and holding tight! Determined to get back to target this month!

Virginia, US day 1
    hello, i am back again. my last post was a year ago. Wow! many familia names are still here! I am not sure what are my plans for salubrious september, i am a bit down today, hope for a better day tomorrow.

Day 2 country West Australia CD
    Day 1 NFD
    Thanks @northgeorgia for taking the reins and herding the cats.
    Awesome August turned into an awful August for me but now ready to spring into Salubrious September!
    Off to Fitness Class.

Day 2, NFD, Aus

Checking in; nothing to say!

Day 2, Emden Germany, NFD ☀️

@jenny-d and @annette52 welcome!

@alisa253 welcome back!

@funshipfreddie and @judyjudes I hope to see you back soon!

@northgeorgia last month went fine, so I don’t think I’ll change anything.

Pocket list day 2

ZBC day 2 🕕 🍳
    @snowflake56

Exercise 30×5 day 2
    @lilymartin 🤸‍♀
    @snowflake56 💃

DTF day 2

Have a nice day everyone!

Day 2 – Ireland 🇮🇪 – NFD – 18:6

Not a bad FD yesterday, was going to do a B2B today but will stick to plain vanilla 5:2 and fast tomorrow.

Weather is a AWFUL…….raining heavily…..it’s a real day for thinking that Autumn is here.

Sorry to see a few people leaving the challenges, it’s the only thing keeping me going and even then I don’t have the motivation that I had three years ago. I have looked at photos of myself in January 2018 when we flew to Peru and I was 20lbs less than now……and I looked great and I want to fit into those clothes again….but I need to give myself a good talking to.

Covid hasn’t helped either……my routine work wise changed hugely but I was still going into work, getting lunch provided by the job, coming home to home cooked dinners with wine from DH, and on it has gone. The Covid-stone is a reality.

Thank goodness Leslie Sansone was suggested in the early days of Covid as it has made me so much more flexible even at this heavier weight.

I feel I am searching for something, some light bulb moment, some “AHA” realisation…..

I am not going anywhere though, have a great Wednesday. We will miss @funshipfreddie for the camel emojis for hump day 😔

Day 2 – Lake district UK – CFD

Good morning everyone

What a good start to September, first of all thanks for keeping the wagon on the road this month @northgeorgia – hopefully there will be plenty along for the ride!

Yesterday decided time to try out a ‘proper’ walk, it was really sunny and not a breath of wind, so down the estuary and back through the woods, brilliant, hardly saw a soul. Wasn’t quite the pace we usually go at, but did OK.
    Then some time bimbling around the garden and took a few cuttings plus a little ‘light pruning’, but by mid afternoon, feet up, reading.
    Even had a treat, yes, a small beer! Little things and just a bit of the rebellious side creeping through.

This mornings planned walk might turn into an afternoon amble though, not quite as bright eyed and bushy tailed this morning, have to admit I think being that bit older is making recovery a bit slower, so maybe an easy day today.
    Had a great crop of tomatoes, (hot) peppers and Thai Basil from the greenhouse this year, so thinking of ‘increasing production’ next year.
    One of the things I use are ‘air pots’ instead of ordinary pots or containers. The plants grow much better and give bigger yields, I did put one tomato plant in a pot to compare this year, the air pots easily produced more than twice the amount of fruit.

Take care all

Day 2 UK FD

OOOH It’s good to be back! Just caught up on all the posts and happy to see some known “faces” along with some new ones! Many thanks to @northgeorgia for taking the reins this month and herding us all to the finish line. Feeling very motivated and positive.

Good luck to all today.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 549 total)

You must be logged in to reply.