reversing type 2 diabetes & the fastday lifestyle

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Medical conditions and fasting
reversing type 2 diabetes & the fastday lifestyle

This topic contains 854 replies, has 38 voices, and was last updated by  PeonyLover 1 year, 11 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 601 through 650 (of 861 total)

• Hi PJBR,

Yeah, basically I’m a foodie, so its taking a lot of will power for me to abstain from it as much as I can.

Reg Carbs, recently I saw the video of Dr.Fung where in he says that, low carb and high fat food is more beneficial for the control of BS levels and to eradicate them completely. The fat that is present in the liver (he says), is the main culprit, not necessary that one should be obese/over weight, with just the fat present in the lever, starts the problem of T2D. And to remove that fat, there’s the best way to FAST, so that fat from liver, can be utilized for daily maintenance.

For this obvious reason, reducing the Carbs will help in speeding up the process. I also saw in the video that he was taking the example of some people who had diabetes from 40+ years, who got it reversed πŸ™‚ so am sure we’re no exception.

So, now you’re on ADF (Alternate Day Fasting)?

Aaaaaaaaagggggghhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

Krishna,
    I posted a long post but did not submit it as I was not finished and needed to get PVE’s name. Found it , came back and it was gone.

To sum it up – am on a 2 week fast which has been broken temporarily a few times. after my holiday next week, I hope that Megan will authorize ADF again.

Yes it seems that LCHF is the way to eat coupled with IF

God bless!

Bad luck PJBR
    Call me anything, as long as it’s not late for dinner!
    Just joking. Fasting today πŸ˜†
    All the best Purple

Hi PVE,
    Have no Idea now what I was going to say anyway.
    Good luck fasting today.
    I have been reading re HFLC or LCHF diets and cookbooks — ended up breaking my fast so I have learned NOT to read about food when you are trying to avoid it!!!!!!!!

I’ve been on 5:2 for 2 years, maintaining goal weight for a year. We eat low carb/high fat. The only way to go!
    Eventually you will find it fun and challenging to expose yourself to food on fast days. Nothing I like better than walking through a food court on fast days, looking at the fat people stuffing their faces with much too much food. It strengthens my resolve. πŸ™„ P

PVE,
    I am sure it does!
    I often am tempted to stop someone and tell them about IF

Well done, PVE,
    2 years and maintaining !
    Were you also diabetic, or only your husband?
    I just have to get the exercise in. What do you do for exercise?
    It must feel wonderful to be healthy !

Hi again
    No only hubby had diabetes. Drug free and controlled by diet and fasting now πŸ˜†
    As the weight peeled off, we both began moving more. Just came naturally. He does an hour long walk at lunchtime on fast days to get his steps up. We both wear activity monitors and do 10000 steps minimum. Also incorporate activity in normal life. Park the car a long way from the shops. Always walk up stairs even on an escalator. Run to catch a traffic light or train. Catch public transport rather than drive. Sweep and rake leaves. Dig in the garden. Make 3 trips instead of one up and down the stairs in the 2 storey house for those extra things. You get it. Move often. Make it active. No paying gyms. That’s a mug’s game πŸ™‚ P

PVE,
    Hi!
    Thank you for the wonderful insight into this new lifestyle. I do need to take from your experience and do the same. I listened to the Diabetes Summit speakers. I believe it was Mark Sissons who advised a similar increase in movement. I have an activity monitor and need to up my steps. Thanks again.

I remember now that what I was going to say the other day was a heartfelt thank you for posting. It is so helpful to us newbies to hear from you more experienced fasters. It lightens the way into the dark unknown.

When I first read Michael’s book, there was something missing (in me) and I did not carry on. Well the diabetes is one thing. Then I stumbled across Jason Fung, whom you have mentioned. That gave me the get-up-and-go !
    I am so thankful to both of these men for their contribution to the world.

My progress is very slow. Some might say stopped, reversing or never started. But your experience was that until one is off the insulin it is a struggle. So, onward and upward, I mean downward.

Hi PJBR
    We were very strict with 2 fasts and eating very mindfully on other days. I changed our diet by dropping white carbs and no snacking every day.
    I also set our TDEEs at the level of our goal weight, not current weight, and increased our use of leafy veg and berries, as well as natural (homemade) yogurt. I was inadvertently doing what Jason Fung suggests…low carb, full fat!
    Mr P, the diabetic, started off with a small egg and herb omolette for breakfast, a couple of small felafels and lettuce for lunch and fish and leafy salad for dinner, with a tiny dessert of yoghurt, blueberries, cinnamon and almond flakes. He quickly dropped lunch, then breakfast. He only eats dinner on fast days now. He also skips breakfast on non fast days if his BS is slightly elevated (upper 6s).
    A small price to pay for reversal of diabetes!
    All the best with your journey. P

Even though I stopped taking medication from many months, despite of my BS levels being high, from the past few weeks, I’m checking my BS levels and they are indeed moving in normal range.

To test my patience, last Sunday, I ate a big bowl of white rice and then had some chocolate and then checked the sugar levels after 1 hour (without medication) and they came below 130. I feel that as the fat peels off, the insulin resistance do degrades with a +ve outlook. Need to lose another 13 kgs so.

Krishna,
    I just love the way you say as your weight”peels off”. That is so descriptive!!

So your weight must be going down dramatically. Wonderful! And it shows that your diabetes is improving. Great!

I am still taking insulin occasionally and I do not see any dramatic effects. I really think I need to get off it entirely before I have any “peeling” going on.
    Dr. Fung says that the worst diabetes medication is insulin.

Onward and upward! (downward)

Hi PJBR,

I guess, mine is progressing towards the reversal. Still not sure, but to the extent I observe this seems so. To test, I ate very sugary big sweets, 4-5 in sequence, and then tested the BG after 1-2 hours and it came in normal range. Is that 1-2 hours window is sufficient to judge?

Krishna,
    Hi ! Nice to hear from you again. Such good news !!!!!!!!! I am so happy to know that this fasting is working for you. Another success story !

I do feel this though, that the benefit of reversing the diabetes is the prevention of the complications, not that we will be able to return to the old way of eating. I feel that when I finally am cured of the disease, my body will still have the inability to handle carbohydrate food. Therefore, I will continue to limit carbohydrates except on a special occasion.

I still love the expression weight “peeling” off. I do wish I could experience that. My husband suggested only this morning, that we should change our fasting to be water/broth only, no cream. I will try that to see if I can get that peeling happening.

Hi All I am on other threads but thought this would be of interest. Article also mentions 5:2

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-3049735/Starvation-diet-reverse-type-2-diabetes-dramatic-weight-loss-lower-blood-sugar-levels.html

@pjbr,

Am sure pretty soon you goanna experience that peeling from the excess fat. As you’re aware that this topic of T2D getting reversed is still under great research, I was very much surprised to see many TED Talks which have mentioned about the complete clean reversal of T2D once the fat in the liver/abdomen, comes to a normal range.

This weekend I was going through around 15-20 videos from Youtube, many from TED Talks which have clearly mentioned of the reversal of the T2D. I was really awestruck seeing so much of this going around, and am happy that atleast now, I came to know about this, which has boosted some confidence & raised the hopes for the Diabetes free future life.

After scanning through lot of such videos & studying a lot many research material, now am sure, as to why I got this epidemic in the first place. It was just due to my excessive intake of soda’s & lots of junk food without any physical activity. As the saying goes as, “Blessing in disguise”, now I’ve realized my mistake and thank God, for providing me an opportunity to reverse it.

Wish you all the success…!!!

@ginette,

Warm welcome & thanks for posting the research link. Infact this research was the one which has motivated me couple of weeks before to join this forum and work towards the reversal process

Hi Krishna and All

Thanks for your reply. Having People with diabetes in the family and also a very good friend, I have told them about the wonders of fasting. Two I fear won’t do anything. The other I am hoping may.

I always send her articles on diabetes and and therefore if you don’t mind will include a link here.

I am on the Fast Beach diet now. This is complimentary to 5:2 and written by Mimi Spencer. I had quite good weight loss at the beginning but it really slowed down over the Easter two weeks to 1/2 a pound a week. Another person on the Mid Fifties thread decided to do this, so I decided to join her.

The Fast Beach Diet is basically the 5:2 without any treats and sticking within TDEE. Also using HIIT exercises 3 times a week. I already exercise a little, I exercise indoors using the Wii and exercise programs that are fun and a little addictive. So I do two days as normal with 5:2 and the rest normal although without treats.

I now count calories using My fitness Pal, I like this as I can scan products in that I buy. I can also find things on the list. You need to stop treats for six weeks. No beer, chocolate, wine, cake, pastries etc.

I find that with this diet my calories are quite low as I have taken off all of the treats. I do have sugar free jelly and youghurt if I fancy it. Sometimes a few strawberries thrown in. Also I have youghurt over lightly cooked fruit with stevia (I had rhubarb so difficult not to sweeten) I buy the rhubarb frozen from farm foods for Β£1. Really good value and ready to cook.

I have lost 3 lbs on my first week. For me a great result. I only lost this once in the beginning. I have a lot of weigh to lose as I am nearly 18 stone. (I started at 19.1) so 19 lb down so far. My first big target is 11.5. I also have short term targets of 1/2 stone so my next one is 17 stone 7. It seemed an insurmountable task at the beginning and also impossible, but here I am chipping away at it. I have been checked a few tines for diabetes at my request and luckily so far so good. I shall ask for an appointment to get my bloods taken when I see my doctor this week. I like to see what’s happening behind the scenes. I may not understand it all but I will some of it.

I wish you all the bast of luck. I know as on all threads there are some people lurking and reading with interest. Dip your toe in and join. It is not as painful as you think.

I think that with the added health problems you are all managing to work around you are losing weight and hopefully will get a reversal. I will be here cheering you on.

Wishing you all the bast of luck and I shall look in from time to time if you don’t mind.

Ginette

Link to the fast beach diet tracker. All the info you really need is on the last page so scroll through.

http://thefastdiet.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/FB-PLANNER.pdf

Fast Beach diet is only for 6 weeks by the way. It is meant to change your weight and the way you think about food.

I must say that the 5:2 already changed food choices. I didn’t TRY to change apart for on Fast days but it changed automatically. Less empty carbs wanted so potatoes only 2/3 times a week. I will looked forward to either Granary of wholemeal bread, but probably have this about 4 times a week now. This time it would be three. Treat food cut down but not out I include pastries sweet or savoury in this, cake and chocolate. As I don’t drink alcohol or any fizzy drinks low calorie or normal I didn’t have problems here.

Interesting one person in my family who has just been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes did drink about 6/8 cans of read coke a day. He even had a burst ulcer and carried on drinking.

His grandmother and grandfather had it both had really bad health problems, his grandmother died when she was quite young. His mother has it and has just gone on insulin and now he has just gone on tablets. He also eats plenty of the wrong things.

I would love him to stumble across this forum and decide to do something about it. I may even send him a link.

Ginette

Krishna.
    Hi!
    This North American way of eating —– lots of sodas, fast foods are all very high in sugar or starches which become sugar. These are tempting for sure. I am sad to see other countries adopting them. They are a trap which is very seducing.

This was not my downfall as I knew it to be what it is from the beginning. Also I was raised to be frugal so did never feel comfortable to buy food when I could eat less expensively at home.

My downfall was twofold – first cookies which I made “for the kids” but after one taste, I could not stop. The second was not so obvious until lately. When I was became aware of a particularly low fat diet which also advocated aerobic exercise, in the very early ’80’s, I fell for it, hook line and sinker.
    When I became diabetic, I told the dietician that I could not accept the old-fashioned diabetic diet. She said that not to worry, the diabetic diet had changed to be low fat higher carbs also. In fact they accepted more sugar than in the old days.

Well we know the story from there. As time went on, so did the body fat. Then came the oral medications more body fat, then the insulin, with much more body fat, all the while the blood sugar levels worsening. The exercise was decreasing as it became more difficult to move with the increased weight. And frankly, I could not see benefit from all this healthy living and became resigned, defeated, depressed and felt trapped and hopeless.

Then 5:2.

Then I stumbled across Dr. Fung ! Hope rose!!!!!! out of the ashes

The diabetes Summit. More insight into LCHF.

I am now the weight I was when diagnosed. Things seem to be going the other way. Improvement all around.

Ginette,

How are you doing? Are you diabetic too ore are you just interested in the topic? It is nice you joined us. The more the merrier, as they say!

Ginette, thanks for the post.

I wish you all the luck in the world on your adventure with this new lifestyle you have adopted. I think you are on the right track and that you will be successful. Prevention is definitely the best cure.

Accolades go to you for your concern for your diabetic family and friends. You know what they say about horses and water. Be there for them when they start to drink IF they start to drink. (here I go giving advice and it too may not be wanted)
    My son has diabetes and it could be cured so easily by a change from the old diabetic advice. But he is adamant and says he never will but will watch me (stumble). (and he lives in the same city as Dr Fung and could go to him and be cured so easily). The other day we met for a visit in a mutually distant town and ate supper in restaurants for 4 days. He enjoyed our HFLC or LCHF choices so much that he said he will start eating that way.

Good luck Ginette, hope you come back soon.

Hi PJBR

No I am not diabetic, but worried I was heading that way.

I am just really interested in something I now see can be prevented from worsening or from this thread actually reversing.

I just love to see the success stories here and wish you all luck.

Ginette

Hi Ginette,

Thanks for the post. Its one of the truly inspiring stories. Below is the blog of them.

http://www.fixingdad.com/

It’s not only amazing but very motivational to see, how at that age, with a laundry list of so many complications, he finally came out of the diabetes and is now rocking with no medications.

No doubt, if he can do it, then every other one out there can, for sure.

Thanks Krishna

I will check this out

Ginette

I have just add blood sugar done out of curiosity. I came out at 5 I am told that is in the normal range although a little low. I’m not sure what that meant. I am not diabetic but I like to keep an eye on it every couple of years.

Ginette

Hi guys,

Finally seeing lower BS readings.

Also finally seeing weight loss.

Husband’s A1C reading 5.+ Normal non diabetic reading and he is not on any diabetic medications.

Yay!!!!!!Yay!!!!!!!!

What a great result. Congratulations to you on progress and losing weight and brilliant news about your husband. He must be cheering you on.

Ginette

Thanks Ginette. It is good to see a turn around.

Where do you live that you can answer me so soon?

In the south of England.

The threads I am following send an email so I can’t miss replies. Are you in England?

Ginette

No, I am in Canada — British Columbia — 7 hours behind you in time I think.

I know Toronto is 5 hours behind. I have family in Niagra.

I have said I would send them links to. 5:2 as they have never heard of it.

Ginette

Hi All

Look at these shocking images of a brain responding to sugar. Remember that if you don’t burn the carbs that you eat they too turn to sugar. Enough to make you think!

http://mic.com/articles/88015/what-happens-to-your-brain-on-sugar-explained-by-science

Ginette

Dear PJBR,

Woooooooowwwww….!!! Congrats. Am so happy that you’re back with such a good news. Am soooo happy about you & your hubby. I know that you’ll rock. Remember some time back we were talking about weight peeling off πŸ™‚

Great going… Keep on….!!!

Mine is going good too. Weight slowly coming down now. From 77 came to 74.5 kgs today. Need to lose another 14 kgs. BS levels too seem rocking.

Hi Ginette,

You do a great job. I see this thread every day to see any new post from you with new links for such great info. Thanks for sharing with us all πŸ™‚

God bless.

Ginette,
    And to think we thought the brain NEEDED sugar !!!!!!

Hi Krishna

Many thanks. I think it helps us all

Hi PJBR

Just imagine I sonetimes thought I needed sugar for energy!! How little I knew then. I am having my bloods taken at the doctors surgery this week. This will hopefully show a better picture than if I had it taken 4 months ago at the start of 5:2.

I think that the most helpful thing I have done for myself is almost never drinking fizzy drinks ie coke etc. I only have one maybe once a year (not coke as I don’t like it). It is only if I am on a very long journey and the weather is very hot. But chocolate and cakes are my soft spot occasionally. I think that I overrate with carbohydrates. There is little or no goodness in bread apart from wholemeal and I have two slices about 4 times a week now. Before I cound have had six slices a day sometimes instead of a meal. Such bad habits.

My habits have all changed thankfully.

Ginette

Krishna,
    Good going ! That is a lot of weight ! No wonder you feel the weight “peeling” off.
    I am talking less that 1 kg. when I say I am seeing weight loss. But I am no longer down-hearted about my progress,but understand it is going to take time.

I have been reading though that prolonged fasts are not good for women of childbearing age. I am well beyond that and have no hormones, I am sure. I was thinking of the fast you were on – but it was not a prolonged fast. Each day you could eat and drink but fasted only during the day.
    I have read too that women should not actually fast but just eat less on their fast days, much like the advice MM has given.

Birthday today and again another on Tues. then we are off to Vancouver (about 6 hours away) to see our son and possibly granddaughter, then off to USA to see an old friend of mine. We have not really seen much of her since her husband died, and she has health problems. After that, I will be able to get back on track with some serious fasting.

It is great to know you are progressing nicely, Krishna. Have you seen your doctor and discussed your lower BS readings? What does he think about your diabetic status and your progress?

PJBR,

Great going with 1kg pace. You see that these small changes count a lot at the end. You’re right, I wasn’t on a prolonged fast, but drastically calorie reduction, eating at the end of the day. Even now, I’m having less lunch and less dinner, but not exactly following 5:2.

I haven’t met the doctor even once in the past 2.5 years or so. Since I don’t take any medication (even before my weight loss, with high BS levels, randomly i used to take tablets), I never went back to him. I’m sure what he goanna say. For me, reading the material, this site and lot of research makes more sense than going to him and get certified from his pen.

There’s a very interesting and sound documentary called “Fed Up” which throws very good light on the SUGAR CRAVINGS & OBESITY & DIABETES from the link that Ginette shared.

I suggest all to go through it. I did it yesterday midnight and it was a real eye opener for me. They said that “SUGAR IS MORE ADDICTIVE THAN COCAINE OR TOBACCO”, and me, I was having more than 1 litre of coke/day in the past. Such a harm I did to my body. Thank God, I realized it now.

https://vimeo.com/107524227

BTW, are you on alternate day fast?

krishna,
    Hi !
    Thanks for the link to the video. GREAT!

Yes, am am more accepting of my slow progress.

Hi All

This is an interesting one about how certain foods help our metabolism and help us to burn more fat. These are everyday foods (I can’t abide olives though). It may be worth a try to get some weight loss which I see here is sometimes so hard to come by. I’d love to know results if it does help.

It has some interesting information and well worth a read.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-3067794/The-wonder-foods-s-discovery-rank-alongside-vitamins-food-compounds-turbo-charge-weight-loss-boost-memory-help-combat-cancer.html

I had bought turmeric capsulres but by the time they had come I had forgotten why I had bought them.

I then found out ……….to help memory………seems like I do need them then, I had to laugh. Maybe also taking them would help as they haven’t made it out of the bottle. Sigh……….

Ginette

There’s a wonderful and outstanding video on Sugar and Fructose especially called “Sugar: The Bitter Truth” in YouTube, which has got over 8 Million Views & downloads at the pace of 50K viewers/month.

I downloaded this and am seeing daily. It opens the eyes and tells us exactly what happens when we’re consuming all those foods out there which contain hidden sugars/fructose.

You can see the video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

Hi Krishna

Thanks for the link.

I have also found a good one ny Michael Mosley this also mentions research carried out with diabetics.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2695030/I-wrong-feasting-FAT-says-The-Fast-Diet-author-DR-MICHAEL-MOSLEY.html

Ginette

Hi All

These are whole day meal plans, again from woman magazine.

This may really help people new to 5:2 if you are stuck for ideas.

http://www.womanmagazine.co.uk/food/500-calorie-meal-plans-52-diet/

Plenty to choose from. They can also have a few carbs added for non do fast days.

Ginette

Hi Ginnette K. Just been browsing the forum as I am having difficulty getting to sleep. (Excitement of a Conservative victory….I think not.) Your comment in your post about Turmeric drew my attention. I take a daily dose of Turmeric capsules (5) for memory but more specifically to hopefully help prevent serious memory loss in later life. Tablets are very expensive so I make my own. I bought “The Capsule Machine” online from Amazon and get the relevant size capsules also on Amazon. Decide on the size you want, I make double OO size capsules. I buy a 500gm pack of organic Turmeric from my health food shop to make up a batch, it works out amazingly cheaper than buying tablets and you then know exactly what is in them. If you go down this route then you will need to mix in ground black pepper to your mix as this helps the Turmeric to be absorbed more effectively. Try Google Scholar and type in “The effects of Turmeric on memory (Dementia). There are a number of medically approved research papers on this. For others who want to make their own supplements then the capsule machine is an option worth considering.
    Good luck out there.

Hi Couscous

Yes I think I bought it for memory…..shame I forgot what it is for. Surely you don’t need to hand fill them. I hope the machine does this.

I must start taking them. I don’t want them to speed up fat burning which I have heard they can do as I have lost 9lb in 3 weeks on the fast beach diet. Weight loss slowed to 1/2 a week for two weeks. I think it had something to do with Easter!! I have read lots of brilliant research on reversing diabetes. I think that this is really ground changing for a lot of people.

I have friends and family who have it. I tell them about the research, but they tell me it’s interesting and carry on how they are. You know the saying you can lead a horse to water…….. I was ignoring the fact that I should lose weight for a long time. Then we had a tragic event in the family and I couldn’t eat with stress, then I decided to do something as my blood pressure shot up into the dangerously high range.

The family situation is ongoing. My blood pressure is still high and the doctor has signed me off of work until it comes down. I use diet and exercise but I am having acupuncture on Monday and hoping this helps. I have even bought an I can help you cure stress by Paul McKenna. Anything to help.

As you see I am still up. I find it difficult to sleep, so I will often answer posts. I was at a neighbours having a game of scrabble when you posted.

Thanks for the info.

Ginette

Thank you for your reply Ginnette. Yes you do have to fill the capsules by hand, a somewhat laborious task I know but worth it financialy in the end. If you do go down this route I suggest you get a pair of fine nose electricians pliers as sometimes a capsule will get stuck and these are perfect to remove said errant capsule from the machine. Use a couple of wide soup plates and lots of kitchen role also. Yes Diabetes is going to be over come eventually but with a lifestyle dependent on healthy diet. Like stress it cannot be cured with a pill. I empathise with you and your stress as I suffered in the past due to the type of work I did. I took to excercise, walking in the lake District and light workouts in the gym. I also checked out You Tube where I found some good meditation clips. I believe meditation has a positive impact but try to find a local class to attend. Finally, beating Diabetes, stress and weight loss, like a lot of other issues happen over time coupled with a Positive Mental Attitude.
    Good luck.

I have two really big jars so I will look into this after I have finished these.

I am quite a positive person, but this is obviously in my subconscious. Acupuncture tomorrow so this will relax me.

Ginette

Help!I am GAINING weight!!!!! Up 4 lbs.

And this with fasting for last 2 days. I ate one day before that

is this diet safe for a 55 year old bus driver with type 2 diabetes I would like to give this ago but worried that on the fasting days I may go low(sugars) anyone here diabetic and doing this diet….?

Hi Petespice,

This thread is for the Type 2 diabetics only.

Many of us here, including me in this thread have been suffering from T2D from long time. Yes, I did it and have been doing this IF with T2D, and what you know, am almost coming to normal levels now without any medication. I was having around 350-400 mg/dl and now am having 90-120 mg/dl when I check at Random.

Yes ofcourse, the sugar levels may/will drop, but we need to regularize them. I used to take some small piece of food whenever I feel that my levels are dropping.

Viewing 50 posts - 601 through 650 (of 861 total)

You must be logged in to reply.