reversing type 2 diabetes & the fastday lifestyle

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Medical conditions and fasting
reversing type 2 diabetes & the fastday lifestyle

This topic contains 854 replies, has 38 voices, and was last updated by  PeonyLover 1 year, 11 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 551 through 600 (of 861 total)

• Hi PJBR,

I just started yesterday with as a fasting day for 5:2. But, i wanted to know more about how’s your program goanna be. You are going to start tomorrow (friday) right. Please give me details about how you’re going to start and what kinda diet you goanna follow, i mean, just purely water fast, or anything else.

Krishna,
    So far as I know, starting tomorrow, for 7 days, I am fasting – 2-3 liters of water, plain or with vinegar, lemon juice, or cinnamon. Unlimited coffee or tea, plain or with cream, butter or cocoanut oil. and home-made bone broth a few times – I am assuming 2-3 cups. I can have chia seeds,swollen in water to fill me up, and psyllium husks if needed to regulate bowels.
    This is to be done in order to get me off my insulin, which should be done within the 7 days. Then the weight loss should be easier. ( But what about the Blood Sugars???????)
    Then I go on intermittent fasting of 24 or 36 hours of 3 times a week or every second day I do not know which. The fasting would be as described above.
    When eating, I am not entirely sure of the foods allowed. I suspect that it will be similar to the Scandinavian diet. what a forward thinking country!

You seem to have developed diabetes at a very young age. So did my son, who became diabetic before he was 30. He is a big boy – 6’4.5″ and was always super skinny but as he was growing just could not be filled up and he would have symptoms of hypoglycemia. He became an expert in making macaroni and cheese with tomatoes (went through 50 quart sealers of preserved tomatoes before Christmas one year) and would take a loaf of bread made into sandwiches to school each day to satisfy his hunger and prevent sugar low. I think that was a portent of the diabetes to come but perhaps we treated it incorrectly.
    He by the way treated the diabetes vigorously with an extremely low fat diet and was very successful but his thinking became foggy and he was told that his diet was too low in fat and he had to add it back. He exercises to the extreme and watches his diet and controls his diabetes.
    I see him April 20 and I wonder if he will see the new me, devoid of diabetes? HaHa

Hi PJBR,

First of all, I wish you all the very best for the upcoming 7 days. What ever might be the extreme, just push yourself and do it.

“He who says he can and he who says he can’t, are both usually right. Believe in yourself because if you don’t, nobody else will”. I remember this quote every now and then to keep me motivated.

Thanks for sharing your upcoming 7 day food routine. The only thing am concerned is how you goanna monitor your BG levels, as usually, in extreme fasting, they fluctuate more.

For me, i’ve just started 5:2 along with (8hrs:16hrs IF). On Non-fast days I’m eating my TDEE subtract 800 cals in 8hrs window and on fast days I’m eating 700-800 cal in full day. Till now, the weight loss proves to be good.

One thing i’m bit concerned about is, my religious fasting (Baha’i Fasting) starts from March 2nd till March 20. In that duration, I’m not supposed to take even water also from sunrise till sunset. Don’t know whether I’d be able to do that, without taking water also, this time, as this goanna effect my BG levels for sure.

I’m very sorry to listen about your son, but its good that he’s now putting diabetes in control. As Dr Fung said, diabetes is all about the lifestyle disorder. One thing am not sure is, as you said, if he has controlled his weight and being active, he’s still taking his medication or not? I believe, it should have got completely reversed for him now.

And I’m pretty sure, this time he would see a new mom in you who’s completely healthy and fit 🙂

krishna,
    In reply to your questions –
    1. I wonder about that myself ! I have already been monitoring myBG 4 times/day and I will continue through the fast and until it will not be necessary.

They say that day 2 and day 3 of a long fast is the most difficult time, but after that the appetite level goes down. I am into day 2 now, day one was not hard at all. I am sure Michael Mosley took this information into consideration when he devised his 5:2 pattern as one never goes into day 2, making it easier for most people to follow his suggested pattern.

Since starting the IF in January, I have been entirely disappointed at how my BG fluctuated even on the fasting day, and I have been equally disappointed as my BG was generally higher than it had been.

Yesterday morning, after a completely reasonable(as far as food intake goes)previous day, my BG was a whopping 14 !!!!!!! Of course, I was up early to “attend” the 3 hour presentation to kick-off the program. It started at 6am my time! And I was excited to begin this adventure so my cortisol levels probably affected the BG. I took my long acting dose of insulin as usual and corrected the high BG with short acting. Food intake was nil all day but drank tons on water flavoured with cut up fruit,
    coffee with cream or butter or cocoanut oil, and a few cups of bone broth. (Kristna this bone broth could be vegetable broth) (And I am sure chai tea whipped up with 1 tablespoon butter would be heavenly) By evening my BG was 5.6 As was the first reading this morning. I did not take the long acting dose of insulin at bedtime. Now this would be great way to control by sugars, if I never had to eat again.

Using insulin to control my diabetes makes this easier as I “know” my “insulin levels”. I also have enough knowledge about diabetes etc. and anatomy and physiology to make it easier.

2. No it is not a complete water fast but the only caloric intake comes from fat and chia seeds for bulk and psyllium husks for fibre.

3. Yes one can exercise when fasting. In fact energy levels are up so high due to adrenalin(?) that one has to do something! I intend to get some things done, play bridge, clean house, throw out unneeded stuff, see family, study – anything to keep my mind off food. Exercise – weight lifting and walking will be a part of this. But everything in moderation right?!?

Hi PJBR,

Thanks for the update.

Well, how is your fasting going on? I guess, its Day 4 today for you. Share your experiences.

Hi Kristna,
    Yes it is day 4 – 1/2 way
    Really it has not been that bad. My husband is on day 3.
    His journey with me helps me I am sure.
    We are enjoying the bone broth. Especially we enjoy butter and cocoanut oil in our coffee!!!!!! That keeps us going so we feel full.
    they say that day 2 and day 3 are the worst. I felt that day 2 was worse than day 3 but day 3 was very emotional time for me. I do not know if it would have been so bad if I had not been fasting.
    Had to miss dinner with friends yesterday but we had coffee together – it is the company which is more important than the food.
    Told my son and daughter-in-law yesterday. My daughter-in-law was so supportive and really interested in hearing all about it !
    I find I really enjoy the vinegar in water as a drink. I think it may become the “happy-hour” drink of choice !

Hi PJBR,

Good to listen that you are rocking on the fast. That’s great that you’ve your hubby to support you in the path. Pairing up with others will motivate us more and make us more firm in our actions. Am all eager to listen to your week-end results once you’re done with your 7 day fast.

Even though am never on Insulin, but used to take only medication, which I’ve stopped taking now, as I believe my current food/exercise regime is keeping things within the appropriate range for BG, I wanted to completely get rid of medication.

Well, today is my 2nd day of my Baha’i fast (from sunrise till sunset without food/water) and it seems to be going on well. I am just consuming 600 – 800 calories after the sunset (compared to my TDEE of 1800 cal/day). So, going well this way, am assuming that after my complete 19 day fast, i’m goanna reduce some good amount of belly fat, which goanna improvise things much better 🙂

Keep going and I wish you and your hubby all the very best.

My husband and I have both been doing IF for 3 weeks followed by 1 week fasting daily. He has lost
    15 lbs as of today.

How is your religious fast going Krishna?
    Do you find your mind sharper?
    More energy or less?

Hello
    Diabetics & pre-diabetics…There is a 6-hour lecture (in 6 parts) on YouTube by Dr Jason Fung. He’s a nephrologist who specializes in diabetes. His cure rate is 99%. This was an extremely informative lecture and details how fasting and other protocols work for curing diabetes and keeping blood sugar down. Just search YouTube for “The Aetiology of Obesity and Diabetes”. I am not diabetic…yet…and I don’t plan on getting there, but I am 120 lbs OW and am on HBP meds. It’s my hope that losing the extra pounds will get me off of the meds. Been doing 4:3 for 2-1/2 weeks and have lost 6 lbs…yay! Hope the info helps. Don’t give in; there are natural ways that work.

Good going Lynda Too
    I too am enthralled with Jason Fung’s approach.

Hi PJBR,

Congrats to your hubby for that awesome weight loss in 4 weeks.

My fast is going on pretty well. Initially I was having headache and severe eye pain, but now its quite comfortable. Till today, from last week, I lost about 2 kgs in 13 days(From 1 week before my religious fast, where I was following 5:2). Am really full of energy and no signs of discomfort or energy leaks. Also before the sunrise, where I start my fast, I’m also doing 20 mins of HIIT, jumping jacks to fasten the fat loss.

I guess today is your last day of the fast, or was it yesterday? Let me know how much was the weight loss and how’s your insulin sensitivity. Am eager to see your results.

Hi Lynda,

I went through that 6 hour lecture in youtube, and its really one of the best video lectures ever I saw on Diabetes and its control, everything so practical and logical. After seeing that video, I was much motivated to completely eliminate my type2 diabetes.

I’m sure, when you start following the 5:2, you’ll be loosing all those extra pounds and rock again. This forum is a great support and motivation. Wish you the best 🙂

Lynda,
    I am following Dr. Fung’s approach.
    Krishna,
    When fasting, if the headache is from fasting you can add salt (but how can you) Maybe with the eye pain it was a migraine.
    Good weight loss.
    Keep up the good work on the exercise.

Yes this is the first day of alternate day fasting. I guess that is referred to as 3;4. I have seen it written 4:3 but that would be fast for 4 and eat for 3.

We ate today and overdid it a bit at supper.

I am allowed 1 dessert per week !!!!!!! Do you know it has been 30 years since I have been ALLOWED dessert!!!!!!! No more guilt when I do eat a dessert now. What a relief !

My loss for the week was 6 lbs. So now I expect 2 lbs a week loss – but they say weight loss is sporadic when fasting.

Thanks to all for the good words. I’m very enthusiastic about this way of controlling my weight. I’m not able to check in here on a regular basis, but will keep in touch best I can. I get encouragement from reading all the stories and comments. One step at a time…

Hi PJBR,

You’re right. Since I can’t take water also, I cant take salt. I guess, the eye pain was mostly due to the fluctuations of BG. I don’t have any eye issues. Now, i don’t get eye pain anymore and fasting is going on well for the full 12 hours.

Are you serious about the dessert? You didn’t had one all these years? I’m happy that you can have one now. What about the insulin? Are you completely out of it now?

Also please let me know how much was your daily calorie intake/day in the last week where you were doing fasting.

Yes I had desserts but felt guilty about it.
    When I made dessert for some special occasion I would “diabeticize” it.
    Or I would have just a tiny sliver.
    I always felt guilty. Now I can go for the real thing and not feel guilty. Yay!!
    Just starting to eat and so I do not know how much insulin I will be taking, but not much.

Hope you have continued good luck with your fast, Krishna

Hi PJBR,

My fasting is going on good. Another 11 days to go. Hope to lose some ugly fat by then. Am anxious to know about the effect you had on the insulin sensitivity after the fast. I believe, it would have improved a lot more better.

Also, can you let me know how much calories were you consuming in that 1 week of fasting/day.

Krishna,
    To answer your questions:
    The calorie count would have been next to nil during the fast days.
    Yes I believe my insulin sensitivity has reduced somewhat as I now only correct high BS with insulin.
    it is not perfect,my BS reading between 8 and 10 but then I’m alternating days of fasting (0 calories) with days with two small meals. I find I can eat very little at those meals. Stomach must have shrunk.
    The first day after the long fast I ate too much and felt awful !

An interesting book to read “The Art and Science of low Carbohydrate Living by Volek and Phinney.
    It is not about fasting but has a lot of information about metabolism, diabetes, etc.
    I found one idea interesting and that is that a people who have lived a long time and evolved in an area have metabolisms which are different and handle food differently than people from other parts of the world.
    For instance Japanese eat a lot of rice and can handle that starch. The Inuit and First Nations people in Canada did not farm, grew no starches so had little in their diet. They cannot handle starches genetically and our native peoples have a very high rate of diabetes in these latter times with the change in diet from the infuence of the white man. I myself have genes from Northern Europe and can tolerate milk (one of the few peoples of the world who can drink milk as adults). I think up north that many carbohydrates cannot be grown. I have come to believe that my genetic makeup makes me intolerant of carbohydrates and I shall always have to be careful of them.

Hi PJBR,

Thanks for the info. That’s the key point which you’ve mentioned. Genetics do play a vital role in metabolism and handling the foods that we take. Am basically from a place where they eat lots of rice (white rice).

As of now, from 16 day count, I lost around 2.5 kgs. Going on…

Krishna,
    Great going !!!!!!!!!!!

I am over joyed that Michael brought Intermittent fasting to the world !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hurray… That’s great PJBR.

For me, for the first time in my life, after 13 years, I see today my scale showing my weight in 70’s (79.8kg). Am very much happy for this. I’ve been waiting anxiously for many months to see this number on my scale.

17 days –> 3.2 kgs lost and counting…!!! 🙂 🙂

Great going Krishna !!!!!!!!!!!

March 17 ! A very important day for the American Irish to celebrate their origins. It is fuuny to see people who are not even Irish pretend to be for that day !
    Last week, my first week of alternate day fasting, ended with a gain of 2 lbs. So this week I have been eating only one meal on my eating day. 48 hours between eating does seem to be a long time and I do seem to look forward to it with a feeling of deprivation. I do though have no feeling of hunger while I am fasting, and as I have said before my thinking is very clear and I also feel more energetic than I have for a long , long time.
    I ate a butter tart for dessert and truly it was no great heck, the taste , I mean. With even the little spike in blood sugar it caused (surprisingly little, considering all the sugar in one), I think I will forgo the weekly dessert treats and wait for a special occasion.
    Since I started this journey,as of today I have lost 6 lbs. It seems like so little for all the “effort”. But then I remember when I could not lose anything and I truly was putting in much more effort.
    Two acquaintances have noticed my weight loss. I only measure my waist but cannot remember what it was to start with.
    I have not been walking much outside because of all my fluid intake but today is a lovely day and I have only had one cup of coffee so far.
    Kirshna, you must be finished your Baha’i fast by now. How did it go after all?
    How are your blood sugars now? How are you feeling?

Hi PJBR,

I was waiting to see your updates, and here you’ve posted 🙂

First of all, you’re doing great. Continue it. The initial weight gain is very common, as you’ve just come from a full fasting week to eating week, wherein the carbs and the water would show some weight on the scale (but its not the fat). So, that 2 pound increase is normal. And 6lbs loss is a pretty good start and am sure you gonna go ahead progressively.

I wonder how many cals you’re eating on non-fast days? You said you’re eating only 1 meal, that itself makes me think that its gonna be below 800 cals. Don’t severely cut the calories on the non-fast days too, as I believe, you’re eating nothing on the fast days.

Coming to myself, I’m doing good. Even though my eyes hurt a bit, because of no food all through the day, when I eat some, after sunset they are normal. This Friday (20th March) will be the last day of fasting. Till now, I’ve been loosing weight at an average of 1 Kg/week. So, I’ve come down to 79kgs from 83kgs till now. I’ve checked the BG, and it seems to be bit high though. Its coming to around 180 after 2 hours of having my dinner, wherein it should be ideally below 150, I believe. Energy wise I’m feeling okay. Till the time I’ve that extra fat accumulated in the body, my body will always try to feed on that, whenever there’s a calorie restriction from outside food 🙂

Krishna,
    very nice to hear from you. As I was posting yesterday, I was thinking how nice it was to be able to tell all to someone, as one certainly cannot speak of this to my friends and family.
    the strangest thing to me is that I feel no hunger. Yes when it is time to eat I am eager, but thank God I feel no hunger. My husband is feeling the hunger though and has decided he cannot do it as severely as I am. Last night he ate a meal of kippers. I did not go near him while he did it and did not feel deprived, but then kippers is not high up on my desirable food list !
    I have no idea how many calories I eat when I do but I drink high fat kefir, some nuts, some avacado ,
    oil and vinegar on my salad, and fat on my vegetables, and meat (not vegetarian – I was vegan for 2 years to reverse my diabetes with no success) with the skin and some fat, some high fat cheese and perhaps a fruit. I think there are a lot of calories. This is more like the Atkins diet but modified from his original one of 45 years ago. Yes it is high fat, but healthy fats.
    I am following the dictates from the woman leading the weekly meetings. We have another meeting this Friday and as I have lost weight in the last week, I hope she will say that I can go back to the two meal eating day pattern. I think I could easily live on that pattern for 6 months.

I am so glad that you are coming to the end of your fast. It truly is a fast and a deprivation to have no fluids during the daylight hours. Do you get up early before sunrise to have a breakfast and then eat again after dark? How many calories do you consume daily? Do you work outside the home with people who are eating or are you around others who are fasting too?
    I am concerned about your eye pain. It just does not seem right that you should have that symptom from fasting. Surely, there must be some church official who could shed some light on this problem, or maybe a doctor who understands the effects of a complete fast.
    Your weight loss is a good one for sure and I am sure the higher blood sugars may be the result of the stress on the body during the fast, though the kind of food you ate may also be a factor. What are your blood sugar readings after the overnight fast?

I’ll keep you informed after Friday’s meeting.

Hi PJBR,

Good to see your post. It reminds me much of what I feel.

Even I am not feeling hungry/thirsty all these days, when I’m fasting. I guess, due to continuous reduction of calories, the body gets adjusted for it and after certain point hunger goes out of the sight. I still remember, before the fast, I used to feel so much hungry, if there’s even a delay of 30 mins for my breakfast/lunch, but now I don’t feel hungry at all.

I guess, you’re taking enough calories, by the food list that I see from the post. It’s always good to take more fats & proteins.

Coming to myself, I should, infact, wake up early before sunrise, and drink water and have some breakfast, but, practically, most of the times, I am not waking up and so am not having anything. Hence, am having a 24 hour fast in this instance. I take upto 800-1000-1200 cals for 5 days and rest of the 2 days I take 600-800 cals.

Yes, I work in a software company, where people eat n eat n eat 🙂 except me. So, its really a test for my persistence. Usually, to motivate myself, every day afternoon, I go out for a 30-45 mins walk. If I don’t go, I’ll freeze as, since I don’t eat anything, body temp falls drastically.

Really my eye pain has been an issue for me. Last year, when I was working in Paris, I had much more eye pain, when I was in fasting in the same duration, and so, I had to discontinue my fast in the middle. This year, in India, due to the weather, I am able to continue till this end with reduced pain. Am sure, its bcoz, of my BG levels, and the moment I start eating in the night, eyes are normal without pain.

Its just another 2 days. So, am happy I could make it till this point this time. My last 2 years in Paris, were really problematic at fasting, due to this issue. I’ll update you with my BG Level after the overnight fast, tomorrow.

Waiting for your update after your Friday’s meeting. All the very best.

PJBR, BTW I’ve checked the overnight fast BG and it came to 130.

End of third week.
    BS’s good weight loss good. waist measurement loss good. Even I can see my weight loss. I am now the weight I was when diagnosed 30 years ago.
    Megan is very happy with my progress so far. Can now try 42 hour alternate day fasting.
    had chicken sandwich using a “paleo” bun (no flour low carb high fibre,high fat ) for lunch.
    I feel so full can hardly eat dinner.
    Still my BS went up. still it is only three weeks.

End of third week.
    BS’s good weight loss good. waist measurement loss good. Even I can see my weight loss. I am now the weight I was when diagnosed 30 years ago.
    Megan is very happy with my progress so far. Can now try 42 hour alternate day fasting.
    had chicken sandwich using a “paleo” bun (no flour low carb high fibre,high fat ) for lunch.
    I feel so full can hardly eat dinner.
    Still my BS went up. still it is only three weeks.
    There is a world summit on diabetes starting next week on your computer for free! I joined. just google “world summit on diabetes” to join. many speakers one of whom is Jason Fung. I expect he is the only one who is using intermittent fasting.

Hi PJBR,

Very happy to see your weight loss progress.

What’s that 42 hour ADF? How do you do that? I’ve also registered for that world summit that you’ve mentioned. Thanks for the info. Not sure if I would be able to check all the talks, due to time zone difference, but, will try to catch up as many as possible.

Krishna Hi !

42 hr fast – from end of dinner on day 1 to lunch on day 3 – fast

on day 3 – eat only 2 meals and within an 8 hour window -then fast till day 5

etc.

Yesterday I became aware that we are at the time of Bahai new year. Happy New Year Krishna !!

Hi PJBR,

Thanks for the wishes. Yes, it was a New Year Eve on 21st, so after loooong fast, I had a barmecidal feast. As of today, 30 days –> 5.3 kgs lost. Another 12-15kgs to be lost, before I jump to my ideal weight/bmi.

This 42 hour fast seems interesting. Did they tell you how long you have to follow this regime. And how’s your hubby’s weight loss progress.

Krishna,
    What is a barmecidal feast?
    Wonderful weight loss ! You must be feeling really good now.
    How are the Blood Sugars?
    The 42 hour fast was supposed to last for 6 months. but remember one needs medical supervision. And I am on a program by which my blood sugars, weight and waist measurement are monitored weekly at least right now at the beginning. After 1 week of fasting, followed by 1 weeks of 42hr intermittent fasting my measurements went up. So I was put on alternate day one meal only regime. I lost weight with that but now I am on the 42 hr fast I feel I am at a stalemate again. I have not weighed or measured yet but my blood sugars are higher than the recommended levels and I am treating with insulin. Insulin is not condusive to weightless so……….
    I certainly find the 42 hr fast easier to take than the 48 hr.
    Now my husband has not had diabetes as long as I, he is now completely off all diabetes drugs and his BS’s are in 5.6 to 6.8 range, very much closer to normal than mine.
    Are you enjoying the Summit? Today someone said that long standing diabetes (like 30 years) may NOT be reversed. That is me. Little doubts about the ability of my pancreas to be able to restore function of the beta cells are starting to creep in. Oh well so what I am still giving it a try.

Hi PJBR,

Barmecidal is a virtual lavish feast. Coz, even though I had more than 20 varieties to eat on New year, I didn’t 🙂

Well, the summit is pretty good. Yesterday, on Day 2, I saw the videos by Dr Fung and Dr Taylor, both very impressive. History is the evidence that, there have been many many kinds of diets, and people said that they are the best, yet none proved to be better to the other. I bet you, just don’t go on what some people say. I’ve been doing lot of research about Fasting, esp Water Fasting, and lot of impressive results are spread all over the world. People have cured so many chronic diseases, and diabetes is just one of them.

There are so many people, who’ve reversed the T2D after many years of struggle. Just don’t give your hope, as hope is the ray for the final destination. Strong will, mixed up with positive thoughts, has done wonders through the power of the subconscious mind. You and me are no exceptions for such miracles. We just need to push a bit and be consistent. I suggest you, not to worry about, what people say reg long diabetes but focus on what you’ve been doing now and one day, I’m sure, you’ll post it here about your success.

Once you try to burn off the belly fat, the reversal process should start, as the fat in the pancreas is the main reason for this. Don’t give up till you reach this point and see then by yourself. Remember, “may NOT be reversed” has MAY, not, CAN’T. So nothing to worry, many MAY’s will come and go 🙂

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Krishna, for those most encouraging words.

I had to laugh at your explanation of a”Barmecidal” feast. It is hard to overeat, even though we want to.

The many diets…..yes, I am beginning to feel the only way to go is intermittent fasting. As the low calorie intake is almost impossible to continue for a long time.
    Michael Moseley said that he could not. And my experience with sticking forever on a lower calorie traditional diabetic diet to be very difficult, surrounded here by food.

Have a great day!!!!

Hi PJBR,

You’re right. Sustaining in diets doesn’t work much, but IF is a more sustainable lifestyle.

So, are there any other sessions nearby in the future?

I do not know what you mean by “any other sessions nearby in the future”, Krishna.

Hi Krishna,
    How is it going?
    For me,my BS’s have been high and I have been giving myself more insulin with resulting weight gain. How discouraging!! So now I am fasting for 2 weeks with a day off for Easter.

Hi PJBR,

How come you’re having high BS levels? Am really surprised. I guess, they should be dropping down after such fasting right. And how come the weight is increasing? Did u consistently check the weight. May be its some water weight, due to increase in refined carbs/salt.

What I meant by Sessions are the one’s that you have from Dr Fung. Did you consult them and updated about this issue of increased insulin intake and weight gain.

Hi Krishna,
    Great to hear from you today.
    About sessions and being near – The one I am on lasts 1 year. It is a distance program and is available to anyone worldwide.
    Did any interviews of the diabetes Summit resonate with you? I really enjoyed Dr. Perlmutter’s one. He is such a goofy looking guy by the picture posted and I was not going to watch but it did and I am glad I did because the information was very interesting and he was not at all bad to look at. In fact his looks were very appealing to me ! Neither he nor his information were goofy.
    My blood sugars being high. – I do not know. This has happened twice to me before where I would have weeks of high sugars for no apparent reason.
    For some reason since yesterday at suppertime the readings are down (not too much but where I want them)
    After much deliberating (Yes Megan was kept informed) and study on the internet, I found out how to determine the dose for the basal insulin and am starting this morning to use long acting insulin and not doing it by correcting highs with short acting insulin. We will see how this works. It would be a lot easier if I had a doctor who was more supportive and who had knowledge about insulin for people fasting. And I have been taking on more responsibility without the required knowledge so I should not be surprised.
    In this distance program it is lead my a young woman who was a researcher for Dr. Fung and as such is very knowledgeable but buy law, is not able to give specific information on medication.
    So so far into this present fast I have increased my weight by 2 lbs. and my waist by almost an inch. Why I do not know.
    Now there are questions out there about females fasting. Apparently men have no problem but the female body, perhaps because it is the carrier and nurturer of the next generation of the species, women do have problems. I have heard that women may gain weight, or menses ceases, or that menopause can be started early. It can be dangerous in that way for young women to fast. Now being 72 years old I do not care about the latter 2 as it just does not apply to me so I do not feel that it is dangerous for me to fast. I do not know if the first problem would apply to to someone not in childbearing years. Anyway the first problem is nowhere near as bad as the other two.
    When I was a child, a woman came over to visit with my mother. Of course, she seemed to be an old lady to me and she was overweight. I remember her complaining about not losing weight though she was fasting and only drinking black coffee.
    I must say though that my mind is sharp as a tack !
    Have a safe and healthy time Krishna.

Hi PJBR,

Mine is going on well. Last 5 days had been pretty heavy on stomach as I was out at my relatives place and so had lot of food (junk food too). But, my weight hasn’t changed much when I checked in today.

I’m pretty surprised with the weight gain that you’re encountering, and also on the effects the fasting has on females. I was under the impression that, for both males & females, the effect should be the same.

Well, don’t give up in the middle and keep going. Lets see why it can’t change the weight.

Krishna,
    No we cannot give up – ever onward and upward (but not the weight and blood sugars)
    Well I the all the problems were medication misuse. I have changed that with my new learning ( .25 of body weight = daily insulin requirement. .5 of daily insulin requirement= daily dose of insulin.) My number comes up 22. but that number I am using as a baseline and I am using less than that. My BS this am was 5.2 so I am on the right track finally. Weight also going down now.
    I think the weight gain was getting high readings, correcting with insulin which just pushed the sugar into fat stores.

My husband, who fasts intermittently, has lost 29 lbs. and is no longer taking diabetic medications.
    His BS is not within normal limits but not really high and normal BS will come. He still has 50 lbs to go.

And being with relatives has lots of benefits and as far as the extra food intake is concerned do not worry about it. Megan says just to fast for a day or two after the visit or a holiday.

Keep on, carrying on.

Hi PJBR,

After 1.5 week of slightly going away from the path, I came back to the road for fasting now. I have another 12kgs to lose. Targeting around 3-4kgs/month. I’m very happy that you’re constantly learning and changing your medication dose accordingly. For one, to travel on this path, we need to constantly update ourselves, seek more knowledge and apply and see how it goes, on us.

You’re right. I was bit scared for the extra food I’ve been having the last week. Now, i’m back to track. I’m now, not able to do the fast religiously, as I was doing, when in my religious fast 🙂

Would be checking my BS levels this week again. Now, my parents and granny have come to stay with me, I fear, I don’t over eat all the delicious Indian food 🙂 and if yes, then, i remember, to fast for the next 1-2 days.

Hi
    I have started my very first fasting day today(7th April2015),I was concerned as I wasn’t sure that it was safe to do this as I am type 2 diabetic and don’t know how to adjust meds!! (Metformin,Gliclicide and 30units of Lantus insulin which I have at bedtime) Your posts are very informative and reassuring so I will just monitor frequently and the see what happens particularly with the insulin as I have had night hypos when I cut the carbs so thanx for all these posts they are helpful and I will post again.

Caryann, do you do blood sugar tests yourself? If so, you will need to do them at least 3 times a day, initially, and record what you are doing to see the patterns. You will quickly find that you need to reduce your medications on fast days. Eventually you will be reducing them on eating days too.
    Look for the patterns to guide you on what works for your body.
    Talk to your medical professional and tell her/him what you are doing and that you would like guidance with managing the drop in medication.

Have you seen Dr Fung’s YouTube lectures on diabetes and fasting? I you health professional hasn’t, encourage them to do so.

It took my husband almost a year (and a weight loss of 30 kg) to get off insulin injections completely and off Metformin by 18 months. He continues, 2 years down the track now, to fast twice a week, takes his bs levels every morning to gauge how much he should eat. He skips breakfast on a normal day if it has risen at all. It is usually in a very steady good range.

A healthy, drug free life, as a Type 2 diabetic, is well and truly possible. As our doctor says “It is not rocket science.”

The sooner you are off insulin, the quicker your weight drops off. It is a miserable cycle of insulin – weight gain – more insulin. Fasting breaks that deadly cycle.

All the best. PVE

Hi All!

How wonderful to see more people contributing. We each and all need the support as we go through this.

Caryann, good luck ! Get your doctor onside to help you with the medication dosage. Everyone is different and therefore responds differently to the fasting and to the medication dosage.

PVE , great advice. It truly is helpful to us newbees to have experienced folk share their experiences with us.

Krishna, I’m glad you are back on track. We all have to “live a little”. Sounds like you are going to live a lot with the family visiting and spoiling you with great dishes. Wish I was there !

Me, I am finally getting it back together after Saturday’s hot x bun. boy! am I finding out that a little carbohydrate can affect the blood sugar for days and days afterward. No wonder my diabetes was getting worse and worse with time.

Hi PJBR
    Carbs certainly seem to be problematic for most of us.
    Good luck. P

Viewing 50 posts - 551 through 600 (of 861 total)

You must be logged in to reply.