Related Science articles people might be interested to read

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Science of intermittent fasting
Related Science articles people might be interested to read

This topic contains 991 replies, has 70 voices, and was last updated by  Cinque 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 401 through 450 (of 1,018 total)

• https://www.dietdoctor.com/grazing-fasting-matters-weight-loss

Dr Fung article discussing how insulin drives the storage of fat, or its availability as an energy source.

Enjoy your butter.
    “The findings are not new, several meta-analyses have come to similar conclusions. One thing is quite interesting in this paper however. The only support for the idea that saturated fats are bad comes from older uncontrolled trials, where other things in the diet were changed as well (e.g. less sugar). In controlled studies where the only thing changed is less saturated fat (and more unsaturated fat instead) the benefit is… nothing at all.”
    https://www.diet-doctor.com/benefits-replacing-saturated-fat-vegetable-oils-absolutely-none

Scientist explains why some people love some foods, while others can’t stand them

https://theconversation.com/curious-kids-why-do-some-people-find-some-foods-yummy-but-others-find-the-same-foods-yucky-77671

Cinque(or anyone), a food in that article, Vegimite is something I’ve heard of before, but I’ve always wondered about. What is it and what does it taste like?

I grew up with vegemite Cali, like most Australians. It is basically salt, but it is based on brewers yeast and vegies so arguably full of good minerals. It is the Australian version of the UK’s marmite, but is less sweet.

So many Australian kid’s first toast is spread with a smear of vegemite and it becomes a life comfort food. This was true for me, my daughter, and now my daughter’s daughter. It is salty and minerally and savoury.

The big joke is that when Americans try it they slather it on as if it were jam or peanut butter and then the taste is overpowering and disgusting. So if you ever get a chance to try it, remember, just a smear. More like a sprinkle of salt on your toast or cracker, than anything else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_sUhTWtvG4 Hugh Jackman Shows Jimmy How to Really Eat Vegemite

Hi CalidDreamer,

Vegemite is an Australian yeast spread – similar to the Marmite available in Britain, although I find Marmite to be a bit sweeter. Vegemite is made from the concentrated yeasts extracted from barley & wheat. It is a black paste. It has a very strong, savoury, salty flavour. Most commonly it is used as a spread on top of buttered toast – this is really a common Aussie breakfast food that dates back to the 1920s. I also like it in a sandwich with cheese.

It’s a spread that needs to be used in moderation. On an entire slice of toast I’d use about 1/2 teaspoon. The mistake that non-Aussies make when trying it, is it to lather it on generously like peanut butter and wonder why it tastes awful. Although that said, I do think it’s an acquired taste. I grew up with it, I love it, and vegemite toast is a good childhood food memory. I think if you grew up the sweeter flavours of peanut butter or jelly (or both), then the lack of sugar and intense salty flavour of vegemite can be a bit of a shock to the taste buds.

Vegemite can also be used to add a savoury salty flavour to stocks and gravys.

Long live vegemite!

Looks like Cinque and I were typing at the same time!

Califdreamer, Vegemite is axle grease. Don’t let the Aussies above fool you – it doesn’t matter how thinly it’s spread, it’s still inedible. If you want the real McCoy, try Marmite which is available in the British shops in California and is far superior. 😆

Thin, given that you are now an adopted Aussie yourself, this is heresy!

Lol! Well, now I have to try it! And guess what? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C6817HY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    2 jars will be here on Sunday. I had to get 2 jars to get the 2 day free shipping on Prime. From the way you describe it, I probably will like it. I enjoy a lot of different flavors and salty is one of them. It’s even the same brand that Hugh Jackman had on that Jimmy Kimmel clip! Now I’m excited to try it.

Do you use it on anything other than toast or sandwiches? Does it taste anything like miso paste, the kind you buy in a tub? That’s really salty.

Thinatlast, does Marmite taste at all similar to Vegemite? Both are fermented yeast. They have that on Amazon too. Good old Amazon!

Nothing like it Califdreamer! Two jars will give you a life-time’s supply. For the extended family.

I know LJ, I failed the two-part Australian Citizenship test:
    a) What is Vegemite?
    and
    b) Do you like it?

I see that the 3 of you are all living in Australia. Do you have wild Cockatoos where you live?

Yes, CalifD, we three are staples on the Southern Hemispherites thread (about 4th down on ‘Most Popular’ in the menu items above). We are spread right across Australia from Victoria to Western Australia. That’s about as thinly as you’ll want that Vegemite spread too.

I have cockatoos screeching in my garden right now. Wild parrots are among the better things available in Australia! Are you at liberty to say where in California you are located?

Thinatlast, in the Sierra foothills, nothern California. I shouldn’t really be asking so many off topic questions in this thread. Is there a place in this forum for off-topic stuff? I would like to talk further but don’t want to hijack this thread.

Ok, understood CalifD. That’s fair enough. Come on over and visit the thread I mentioned above. We tolerate all sorts of off-topic nonsense!

Hi CalifDreamer, I live in the Adelaide Hills – about 20 kilometers from the centre of Adelaide. There’s lots of wildlife here as most of the housing blocks are between 1/2 and 2 acres and there are really strict rules around subdivision in my town – you can’t subdivide to less than 1 acre. There are also bans on cutting down any significant trees. It means we all get have enough land to keep plenty of trees and gardens to attract birds and other wildlife – and the burden of a large garden to maintain.

I get both the sulphur crested (white with a yellow head crest) and black cockatoos here in summer – they strip my walnut tree of every single nut while they are still green. Once they’ve finished they move on. At the same time I have rosellas and parrots stripping my apple trees of their fruit. They don’t get my plums or apricots because I net those trees to protect the fruit.

I also have breeding koalas in the trees near my house, and many many possums – that also like my apples (where the parrots eat them during the day, the possums come out at night to snack on them).

While I would like to have a cat, I refuse to own one while I live there, there are just too many native birds at risk.

I hope you like the vegemite – remember to start light. Hot buttered toast with 1/4 teaspoon is probably a good starting point. I’ve never eaten miso paste by itself, but I do make soup from it – it probably is a similar level of saltiness, but doesn’t have the complexity of flavours that I find in miso.
    As for other uses, for me they are all pretty similar – buttered toast, fresh bread, crumpets, english muffins, sandwiches, crackers, rice cakes… Basically any bread or bread substitute. If I eat it in a sandwich with cheese I can forgo the butter, but without the cheese I find I need to butter the grainy base first.

Having coffee associated with longer, healthier life. Of course, association doesn’t prove cause, but it may point to it.

http://www.afr.com/lifestyle/health/mens-health/new-studies-find-coffee-drinkers-live-longer-and-more-disease-free-20170711-gx8oag

For me, coffee is also an excellent appetite suppressor on fast days

1. Interesting thread. Thank you all, I shall follow it.

2. Excuse an ignorant question from an Englishman. What is an English Muffin?

Since asking that question I have been on Wikipedia. Whoever wrote that article wasn’t a Brit. I know no-one who eats them that way. We have them late afternoon with something sweet or just butter. In UK “Muffin” now means the same as in the US. What you call an English Muffin I would call a Pikelet, but then I was born a Monkey Hanger. (explanation of Monkey Hanger also on Wikipedia).

We are obviously not talking about the same thing. Not one of those images looks very familiar to me. To add further confusion my wife, who comes from a little further south than I do, sometimes calls my Pikelet a Muffin. She also calls cupcakes muffins. Perhaps when the Muffin emigrated and became the English Muffin it evolved into something different? Alternatively, there is something I can eat in this country that in 73 years I have not encountered – must try harder. What would you call what I know as a pikelet?

Sorry to lower the tone of this scientific thread.

somebody asked on this thread about ‘English muffins.’

English Muffins do not exist in England — I have heard this time and again from English/Scottish friends. These are an American invention and nomenclature.

Muffins in general [blueberry or apple or poppyseed or 10-grain] are an American invention, or so James Beard seems to say. Not saying this to be jingoistic, just clarifying.

An English Muffin in the US is closest to a Crumpet, as found in England.

Thank you fasting_me. I had forgotten about crumpets, they seem to be going out of fashion. The confusion may have arisen because crumpets/muffins were two of those things which swapped names depending on which end of the country you were in – as did Swedes and Turnips. Because everyone now watches television the regional differences are going.

I assume english muffins are the flat muffins that you cut in half, toast and put marmalade or the like on. Not crumpets which you don’t cut and which have air pockets in them, also known as pikelets. And not the fat not so sweet cupcake like things that have stolen the name. And there are English muffins in England, only they don’t say English muffins on them but I buy thrm at Tesco for my mum. They used to do cheese ones which are nicer.

I am now confused again, fatrabbit’s pikelet alias crumpet is what I meant by pikelet alias muffin. The next time I go shopping I’ll look to see what they call them. For now, apologies for diverting this useful scientific thread into the area of trivia. I have so far read as far as page 4 and learned a few things. The New Scientist small scale experiment on the effects of a dry period for drinkers was of particular interest to someone who enjoys a large whiskey or two every evening.

Fatrabbit is right re: English muffins. They are a yeast leavened bread. Pikelets and crumpets are distinct from them, being made from a thick pancake batter mix. Crumpets tend to be cooked in a ring. Pikelets are dropped on to the cooking surface, so resemble a small thick pancake.

Here’s a picture of an English Muffin that we buy in the US: http://www.oakrun.com/retail-products/english-muffins/

I think I’ve seen them labeled as crumpets a few times. From the photos I’ve found on the internet, they look identical.

A muffin in the US usually looks like this: http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/banana_nut_muffins/

So the name English Muffin doesn’t really fit our normal definition either.

No English Muffins in the U.K.? Next thing you know they’re going to tell me there are no French Frys in France! 🙂

So I have one for you: Is a Swede a turnip or a sweet potato? http://ao.com/life/kitchen/kitchen-tips/vegetable-cookbook/swede/

http://www.diynetwork.com/how-to/outdoors/gardening/how-to-plant-and-grow-sweet-potatoes

This one I can hack. That first muffin may be called English, but it isn’t. Ask for French Fries in France and you will get frites, if they are feeling kind. Also in Belgium, where they are served with mussels. Also in Germany where they are served with rubber eagles (chicken and chips in English) – languages cross borders. A swede is similar to a turnip. Your image is what most people call a turnip. What most people call a swede is animal fodder, which didn’t stop me calling turnips swedes when I was a kid. Sweet potatoes can be grown in UK, but are not normally. Apart from being a root veg, I don’t think they are related to turnips or swedes.

CalifDreamer. Yes, that is an English muffin, cut in half. It is not a crumpet. My post explained the difference. And yes, of course we have them in the U.K.! Although of course we don’t refer to them as ‘English’ muffins, more usually breakfast muffins.

A swede is neither a turnip nor a sweet potato. It apparently originated from a turnip/cabbage cross. The Americans call them rutabaga I understand.

The picture looks like a swede. Turnips are smaller.

I was going by colour, not size. If that is a swede my seed packet has the wrong picture on it and I will have to buy something else to have with the haggis come Burn’s Night.

Ahhh, yes, a rutabaga! Here is a photo of the two together. They do taste different.

https://www.healthdiaries.com/eatthis/rutabaga-vs-turnip.html

So a rutabaga is a swede then?

Penguin, muffins and mussels in Belgium? That sounds like a good combo, but not one I would have thought of.

Further to my last – there are many varieties of turnip ranging in size from tennis ball to nearly soccer ball, in varying colours and taste. The image shown is the kind I usually grow.

Mussels and frites, with lots of mayo – very much a Belgian thing. Muffins and frites I have yet to try, but anything once.

Penguin,

I grow my own vegetables too. The picture is not the clearest, and a lack of scale doesn’t help, but turnips in my experience are smaller and paler, verging on pinky. Certainly the turnips we eat tends to be small, larger varieties are animal fodder. That looks like the swedes I grow. We’d need to cut it open and taste it!

HappyNow. If you enter “Turnip” into your search engine you will get images of several different sizes and colours, and yes, one of them appears indistinguishable from rutabaga. I share your preference for the smaller paler – a more delicate taste. Last year I grew some which were bright red all through, looked like a beetroot, not a success.

Like most root veg, turnips/swedes tend to be excluded from the diets of those trying to lose weight, but if you grow your own your range of options tends to narrow in the winter. I cook and it has taken me a long time to find a way of making Brussels Sprouts palatable. I can make myself eat brocolli/calabrese but it isn’t fun.

Just as well Ive had a cold then. Cant smell a thing.

Bigbooty, your poor brain! It won’t know what to do! 😉

I realise you’ve moved on from the English muffin discussion, but I just thought I’d add that this is a type of bread that dates back to at least the 18th century in England. I have Elizabeth David’s “English Bread and Yeast Cookery” which traces the history of all English yeasted products. She has a whole chapter on the history of muffins and crumpets. She has reprinted muffin recipies from as early as 1747. Basically it’s a small round flattened lump of normal yeasted bread dough that is cooked on a griddle plate rather than in an oven (similar to the way traditional oat cakes were cooked). Most of the old recipies talk about splitting them in half and toasting them over the fire after they come out of the griddle pan. Then they were buttered. (If I remember correctly, in Oscar Wilde’s play “The Importance of Being Earnest” they had buttered muffins for afternoon tea.)
    I assume that the reason they are called English muffins in Australia is to distinguish them from American muffins – which as others have said, are not similar at all. One is a plain bread product and the other is a sweet cake.
    The differences in terminology can be quite confusing, what Aussies call scones, Americans call biscuits and what we call biscuits, they call cookies. We may all speak English, but sometimes I need a translator anyway.

To finally put the English Muffin to bed. Today I did what I should have done in the first place. I went to my extensive collection of cookery books and looked at recipes. The English Muffin appears, complete with picture and very much as described above. On the next page is a crumpet, with picture and exactly as described above. The only remaining problem is that the Crumpet is what I have always called a Muffin/Pikelet. I surrender.

It’s hard to eat right all the time, but making small improvements by choosing healthier foods now and then may significantly boost one’s chances of living longer, said a US study Wednesday.

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2017/07/13/small-improvements-eating-habits-may-prolong-life-study

@5. Wish I could get funding for my projects that easy. Small diet improvements lead to living longer. Who would have thunk that? It is interesting that the article had a picture of a bowl of highly processed cereal with a sprinkle of sugar balls also known as raisins in it. Obviously the general media still think that this is what is considered healthy.

haha good points bigbooty. But in praise of the study, some people feel like they have to go ‘everything healthy’ to improve at all, so this could be a very useful message.

“All or nothing” approaches are what got me in trouble in the past. I agree that small gradual changes are more sustainable.

“Why you should eat a plant-based diet, but that doesn’t mean being a vegetarian”

https://theconversation.com/why-you-should-eat-a-plant-based-diet-but-that-doesnt-mean-being-a-vegetarian-78470

From ‘gut shots’ to health tonics, apple cider vinegar and fermented juices are increasingly popular. But is it ever a good idea to slam vinegar shots?

http://www.sbs.com.au/food/article/2017/06/29/what-you-need-know-about-slamming-vinegar-shots

Common additive may be why you have food allergies
    Approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration in 1972, tBHQ is a preservative in many foods, such as cooking oil, nuts, crackers, waffles and breads.

https://scienmag.com/common-additive-may-be-why-you-have-food-allergies/

Sugar-sweetened drinks and your metabolism

‘The next time you tuck into a protein rich dinner, it may be a good idea to hold off on the sugary drinks. A new study published in BMC Nutrition found that a combination of sugar sweetened drinks and a protein rich meal decreases metabolic efficiency, which can lead to more fat being stored. Here to tell us more is lead author of the study Dr. Shanon Casperson.’

https://blogs.biomedcentral.com/bmcseriesblog/2017/07/21/sugar-sweetened-drinks-and-your-metabolism/

For those who are partially practicing 5:2 for neurological benefits such as staving off Alzheimer’s and dementia as per the rat study in the Fastdiet book, here are studies that discuss how certain types of light provide unexpected benefit in similar ways. All the money spent on drug trials and simple and cost effective light waves may provide the most effective remedy! However, who would fund double blind placebo human trials to prove this since pharmaceutical companies wouldn’t be able to sell ongoing subscriptions, I mean prescriptions with this technology…

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4707222/

http://news.mit.edu/2016/visual-stimulation-treatment-alzheimer-1207

“… our study provides evidence that sugar intake from sweet food/beverages increases the chance of incident mood disorders in men and limited evidence regarding recurrent mood disorders in both sexes. With a high prevalence of mood disorders, and sugar intake commonly two to three times the level recommended, our findings indicate that policies promoting the reduction of sugar intake could additionally support primary and secondary prevention of depression. To elucidate the association further, especially regarding observed sex differences our study should be replicated in representative prospective cohorts.”

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-017-05649-7

Viewing 50 posts - 401 through 450 (of 1,018 total)

You must be logged in to reply.