Really – No Weight Loss?

This topic contains 63 replies, has 47 voices, and was last updated by  Sunaina Sinha 3 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 16 posts - 51 through 66 (of 66 total)

• Hi Sue and welcome:

That’s right – any two days at 500 or less and the other five at TDEE or less – you don’t have to eat all the way up to your TDEE if you don’t want to. If you haven’t see it already, here are some more tips: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

Good Luck!

I’ve been at it for 3 weeks now. After the first week, lost 8 pounds! Next week, gained back one. This past week, lost one. I’m gathering from the posts I’ve seen here that this is normal. So, I will keep plugging along.
    Compared to Weight Watchers, which I have used successfully in the past (thought I always regained everything once I went off it), I am liking that 1) This is FREE and 2) I don’t have to enter everything I eat into an app.
    Going to try to focus less on the scale and more on how my clothes feel.
    Also, I am getting full so much faster now, which I love. I used to be able to polish off two tamales like it was nothing. Last night ate one, started on the second one and had to stop cuz my stomach was hurting!

I’ve been at it for 3 weeks now. After the first week, lost 8 pounds! Next week, gained back one. This past week, lost one. I’m gathering from the posts I’ve seen here that this is normal. So, I will keep plugging along.
    Compared to Weight Watchers, which I have used successfully in the past (thought I always regained everything once I went off it), I am liking that 1) This is FREE and 2) I don’t have to enter everything I eat into an app.
    Going to try to focus less on the scale and more on how my clothes feel.
    Also, I am getting full so much faster now, which I love. I used to be able to polish off two tamales like it was nothing. Last night ate one, started on the second one and had to stop cuz my stomach was hurting!

Thank you simcoeluv – this thread has been really useful. I’m a newcomer, and it’s good to have an idea of what to expect. Thanks.

Hi Marinermum and welcome:

You are welcome!

Good Luck!

Thank you! I have tried the fast diet before and gave up because I didn’t seem to be losing weight and obviously didn’t stick with it for long enough, I’ve decided to give it another go.

When is it best to weight in . I am a newby today is my 3rd fast. I weighed in after my last fast and i was down 2 pounds when i weigh in after my nonfasting day im up 1 pound. Is this normal ?

Hi Helen and welcome:

If you read the Warnings post you will see that it is not unusual to gain or lose 2 or more pounds a day. These weight losses or gains are mainly caused by water retention or dehydration and food in transit weight gain or loss. Most people lose weight after their diet day because they take in less water and food on the diet day. The day after, they eat (food in transit weight) and usually have greater water intake because of the water in the food and other liquids they drink.

Because of these variations, many people weigh weekly or monthly. It is possible to do everything right and even gain or not lose with weekly weigh-ins, but you have only hit a ‘plateau’ if you have not lost weight for a month or more. Obviously, if you are gaining weight after 4 weekly weigh-ins or a monthly one, you are eating too much. If they don’t bother you, you can weigh daily and just look for the trend down, understanding that your weight will vary quite a bit every day.

Good Luck!

Hi Guys
    I have been fasting now for over 5 years yes 5 years. I fast every Monday, Wednesday and Friday and to be honest I absolutely love it and would not change back to a ‘normal’ eating pattern again.

I was the same as everyone else in the beginning not losing weight and getting really down about it. I have now lost over 4 1/2 stone. I didn’t lose it all at once and there were times when I didn’t lose any for months.

Last September, it had again been months since not losing any weight, I took another look at what I was doing. My fast days were fine, approximately 350 to 400 calories, my eating were ok, but changed from having meat to more fish and I completely changed my exercise regime. I have todate lost 1 1/2 stone, I am in size 10 clothes, never before being this small before and feel absolutely great.

Sorry this post is so long, I’ve don’t normally post on forums but wanted to share my experience with you guys after reading about your experiences starting out.

Please keep going, its not a diet is a way of life and its not just about losing weight, there are so many other health benefits.

Doing any Fasting in today’s world is something to be proud of so be proud and stick with it.

Thanks simcoeluv for this encouraging topic!
    Week 3 and I’ve not lost anything, despite doing ADF, so was feeling pretty fed up! But this has helped and I will carry on as not finding it too hard so far- I’ve found eating just one meal on FDs works best for me. Hopefully next week will show a bit of a loss, but I do feel much better for doing this, and find on my non-FD’s I get full quickly, so that’s great at least!

Simcoeluv, I have been trolling the internet reading up on the experience of people utilizing a 5:2 protocol, and your comment here is absolutely on the mark! I had to join the forum to reply! I am on week #11, and I could write almost verbatim your experience and thoughts as my own. I don’t eat anything at all during the two 36 hour fast windows since I am also aiming for the health benefits of autophagy. I do drink plenty of water, sparkling water and a morning cup of black coffee. I think we are all bombarded by sensational stories of rapid weight loss, but I got to this WOE based on the fact that all other lose the weight protocols have not worked long term for me. This is a sustainable WOE, and maintenance just a slight modification. I used to be the person who could eat anything, and was always active. My metabolism has changed in the second half century of life. Doing something and being consistent is better than sporadic efforts, losing weight, and then regaining it all when I grow tired of the constraints/impositions took to lose the weight in the first place. Probably the key to this WOE working for me is that I know I can eat the things after powering through 36 hours, instead of being deprived of the things for prolonged periods of time and then taking “a break” only to lose all progress or even score a pound or more setback. Your post made my day! Cheers!

I’m lucky that I’ve not had any issues with this way of life. I lost 12 pounds in the first week and have had a steady downward trend averaging 2 pounds a week for the 35 weeks I’ve been fasting,and I’m now only 5 pounds from my goal weight.

You really do need to find something that works for your body though, not everything works the same for everyone. the fast 800 and 5:2 does work for me (and then some!) but may not work for everyone, so some people may have a valid point, to them it doesn’t work.

But if it’s not working, before you give up you need to ask yourself if you’re doing it right. I know someone who is the worst. Tried almost every diet out there, half-asses it, claims that it’s not working, then gives up and then go back to the way they were eating before. Fast days are 800 calories total during the day, not 800 calories for your meals, plus snacks, plus a quick handful of nuts/lollies every time you walk past the cupboard. ANd you can’t make up for fast days by going nuts on non fast days.

I lost 1 and a half stone successfully a couple of years ago with the old 5:2 diet. This was the only diet that had ever worked for me. As I have managed to put half a stone again from half marathon training (I tend to overcompensate when I am doing lots of exercise), I’m having another go with the new 800 cal days, which are a lot easier. I used to find (and still do) that I need to calorie count on my non-fast days otherwise it’s very easy to go over. I use MyFitnessPal for this, so something like this might be worth a try for anyone who is finding that they are not losing as expected just to make sure that you aren’t exceeding calorie requirements too much. The biggest motivator for me sticking to a diet is actually losing weight so I can very much empathise with folks feeling like giving up when weight loss stops or slows, definitely been there. My pattern when I lost the weight was something like an average of one and a half pounds a week. I would lose a pound after a fast day and then put 1/2 a pound back on again a day later just from volume of food inside I guess

Hope you don’t mind me joining in.
    Have just discovered these posts and together with some personal journeys I have read feel inspired and motivated.
    I know this works as I got to the weight I wanted a year ago and then I went on a cruise and when I arrived home I got poly myalgia rheumatica. The treatment is steroids which make you put on weight. End result all the hard work undone and a whopping gain of a stone. Sorry I only think in stones and pounds.
    This is my first week and so far have lost nearly 3 pounds which is great. I am doing 800 calories as 500 is too low for me. It seems to be the new thinking and worked last time.
    It is really helpful to read of the ups and downs posted on this site.
    Simcoeluv. You have
    given such good advice and references so thank you for that.
    My first week will end on Monday morning so hope to make it a definite 3 pounds.
    Now I feel I need some accountability so should I start a new personal journey thread or just join someone else’s?
    Good luck to everyone on their journey.

Annabelle 48

Hi Annabelle,
    Welcome here.
    So sorry to hear of your health issues, and how frustrating to have to re-lose that weight again.
    Congratulations on such a great start to 5:2 again. Hooray for figuring out that the 800 calorie limit will make it sustainable too. Easy and sustainable is the goal!

This forum has become quieter over the years, so you might find better support checking out the threads that still have a lot of action. Have a look at them (click on ‘forum’ and then ‘active topics’ on the top bar) and see if you would feel comfortable joining. Don’t worry if they seem a bit like an in-group you are interrupting, we are all here for 5:2 and glad of new people joining.

I’m in the Southern Hemispherites group, and you would be welcome there, even if you live in the northern hemisphere.

Best wishes

When you lose weight, your body fights back.

You may be able to lose quite a lot of weight at first, without much effort. However, weight loss may slow down or stop altogether after a while. ask an expert: https://zealthy.in/en/ask-an-expert

Viewing 16 posts - 51 through 66 (of 66 total)

You must be logged in to reply.