November 2018 Monthly Challenge

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
November 2018 Monthly Challenge

This topic contains 756 replies, has 62 voices, and was last updated by  steffieagle 5 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 551 through 600 (of 760 total)

• Day 21, Barendrecht Netherlands, NFD

Had to go to the Netherlands today, friend has her surgery on Friday morning, her husband did a wrong move and is in bed, unable to move. Have to take care of husband and dog. My DH is with me here but has to go home tomorrow for work. Will read posts tomorrow morning.

Have a nice day/evening everyone!

Day 21 Belfast NFD

Volunteering this morning involved shopping and coffee and the big piece of carrot cake that my charge bought me awakened the sugar dragon. ☹️ say no more. RESET tomorrow.

@michelinme – so sorry to hear you’re under the weather again. You’ve really been through the mill. Here’s hoping you feel better soon.
    @songbirdme – enjoy your trip.
    @snowflake56 – I hope your friend and her husband get well soon.

Remember
    If you don’t change your mind you won’t change your body.

Day 21 – UK – NFD

Busy day so just checking in before going to bed – managed to stay just under TDEE and did a yoga session this morning followed by an early evening Broga class with OH before returning home for a healthy salad and a small bit of his homemade fruit and nut bread.

Hopefully everyone is having a mindful day too.

🙏

Day 21 UK FD!

Planned an extra FD today to make a virtue of a necessity. Decided to make today into a gentle sabbath, so rested first part of the day then yoga & meditation before going into town for a community gathering. Also made a salad and mixed up an omelette before i went, ready to cook when I got home. So easily skipped the supper bit and an instant OMAD FD – result!

Thank you to everyone who had mentioned we are so close to the end of the month, whicj gave me the necessary motivation to add in a FD. 1 December will be my first anniversary on this WOL and I’d like to be heading in the right direction by then.

Having a sabbath day has also given me the space I need to slow right down and live a gentle day, with a little preparation for this evening/tomorrow, thinking ahead for the next few weeks, taking time to find good bargain yarn for my winter hat knitting in the sales – all those little things which make me feel less overwhelmed, more as tho there has been enough space in the day. Going to shower and get to bed, get up earlier tomorrow and start the day with meditation. Looking after Future Me again 🙂

@emmataylor thank you! I got rid of all my uncomfortable bras a couple of months ago – and bought two of those exact stretchy bras from Uniqlo! I don’t have quite enough support/shape from them, so I’d still like to get a couple of bras that give me more support. hence wanting to go and have a fitting. But I will get round to it – and glad to know I’m not alone!

@basyjames i’d love to go shopping with you, thank you for the offer. Just the pesky few thousand miles to get around 🙂 Thank you for your wonderful quotes – always give me a boost x

@northerndawn thank you. Amazingly my backup laptop burst into life this afternoon after having been plugged in for 2 days. don’t know what’s going on there but I’ll take it. At least I have a keyboard and can type, import some documents from back up etc. And I loved your long post – thank you!

OK off to shower and get to sleep – Future Me has put a marker down already 🙂

Day 21, UK, FD

A successful FD finally. It will help me keep my head above the water, so to speak. I’m determined to make an effort to finish the month on a positive note, and erase some of the weight gains 🙂

Sorry I don’t have time to answer to all the posts, but weekend should be better time wise ….

Have a good evening everyone 🌻

Day 21 Ohio, US — NFD
    Day 20 — NFD

Yesterday was a road trip to southern Michigan and even eating on a catch-as-catch can basis, I sort of stayed on task for the TDEE. Today was almost non-stop running around catching up on chores and (of course) another trip to consult with the vet.

@debster251 I don’t know if the light harness would make me want to walk more, but it would certainly make the dog go out and strut his stuff. It’s really amusing, whenever he gets groomed, he definitely wants to walk down the street and show off to all the female dogs in the neighborhood.

@at You certainly are right about the importance of walking. When I was at university I walked six miles a day and surprise, surprise — no weight problem then! Life seems to have gotten a little more complicated since then, so doing the daily 6, almost never happens now.

@snowflake56 Hope your friend’s surgery goes well, and that the weekend will see both her and her husband well on their way back to full health!

For those in the US — have a Happy Thanksgiving Day!

DAY 22 – UK – FD

Pocket List Day 22

@judyjudes

Wishing everyone a positive day.

Day 21 Canada NFD

Yesterday’s FD was a non event. Started the day with a bowl of oatmeal and then on it went. Had a extra FD on the weekend so all is good.

Looking forward to a FD tomorrow as we close in to the end of the month- only 3 more FD’s for me so that should be easy.

Off to bed and will catch up with posts on my ipad- hope everyone is doing well!

Day 22, Barendrecht Netherlands, NFD

started reading posts to answer them but my friend wants to show me her morning walk with the dog. So time to get up and put my walking boots on. See you later!

Have a nice day everyone!

Day 22- Ireland – CD

Happy Thanksgiving to those of you in/from the US!
    I am giving thanks today! Generally feeling better than in a long time..
    Thank you @northerndawn for your very wise words.
    FD yesterday has brought me to -5lbs from my restart date at the end of October but I know this will bob up again after my CD but I still love to see this achievement..however fleeting 😁
    This is where I would be tempted to do a b2b but unfortunately have a lunch commitment today but will keep is as controlled as I can.

Thanks all.Have a lovely day.
    Onward and downward.

Day 22 Wales FD

Bright and sunny today but very cold, going to wrap up in warm walking clothes and go for a long walk on the beach with DH…… we will no doubt be ready for a FD lunch of hot veggie soup when we return.

Happy Thanksgiving to all who are celebrating.

Hello everyone, I am back here after 6 months. I started 5:2 when I was 82kgs in Jan this year targetting 75kgs by May, went down to 76kgs by April. I was so excited. Then it all went really bad, my diet crashed in a major way. I blame myself. Now I am sitting at 86.3kgs, 10 kilo rise since April. Feeling so heavy like a fat pig.
    I will take this week to get warmed up to 5:2 and start like usual from Dec 1 as a new challenge.
    Need motivations from you all. Good luck and wishes to everyone doing well unlike me.
    Target 75kgs by April.

Day 22 a lovely sunny Belfast FD

How difficult it is to do the grocery shop at this time of year with the shelves bulging with calorific goodies. I put the blinkers on and only bought what I went for. 💪

Welcome back @suresh3101. Well done for committing to return now and not after Christmas.
    I’m taking part in a fund raising swimming gala this evening which should be fun.

Onwards and downwards!

Day 22 UK FD

Foolishly blew yesterday’s FD at the last minute with toast & honey…which kept going to 6 skinny slices 🙁 O well, definitely one epic meal and under TDEE.

Interestingly altho I’m feeling rather puffy today I still have that sense of feeling smaller in my frame, so to speak. Had a brief look at an online dress sale and was astonished to discover I’d now be a size 12 in Boden! Obvs clothes sizes have become more generous over the last 20yrs, but in my head I’m still looking for stretchy size 16s 🙂

Today will be a proper FD! Reminding myself there are only 3 more left this month, and I’d like to end the month slightly smaller than I began it – esp after plateauing since August and going up in october! Plus my one year anniversary comes on 1 December, an epic milestone 🙂

Wishing a Happy Thanksgiving to all who are celebrating. I’ve got so much to be thankful for, not least the fellowship of this forum x

Day 22 – Eastern WA USA – NFD

Yes, Thanksgiving in these parts. Thank you for the wishes! Planning to enjoy; listening to my body so I stop when satisfied. It doesn’t take as much as it used to.
    I did make a low carb pecan pie; not low calorie BTW. May add some chocolate ganache to it I saw on Dr. Oz yesterday. Also doing the turkey and a low carb dressing with cauliflower as the main ingredient instead of bread. Others are bringing “regular” fare. I get to host. What a blessing!

@suresh3101 – welcome back. I wish you well on your journey.

@debster251 – a “fund raising swimming gala”, mmm trying to imagine it. Does it involve swimming at the event?

@michelinme – Have you tried keto breads? They might help with the poof. I’ve found a simple keto bread I do in a ramekin and it’s one portion. It uses almond flour and flax meal rather than grains. I don’t get any bloat. It’s versatile and quick; 70 sec. in my microwave.

Off to continue prep for the Thanksgiving meal!

Glad we’re travelling together on this journey!

Day 22: Gloucestershire, UK: NFD
    Another busy day on the postal rounds. Christmas is coming, no let-up til then. Hope everyone is doing alright, I simply don’t have time to do more than skim the posts….sorry.

Second post
    @michelinme – regardless of whether sizes have changed, it’s no mean achievement to get to a size 12. I count that as a huge success! 👏
    @annemarilyn – yes. I train with a class for grown ups – I’m the oldest one in the class but hold my own (ish) It will involve relay sprints in teams which are usually made up of serious swimmers who train competitively and tortoises like me. The final race is a bit of fun; a ‘seahorse’ race involving using a swimming aid and using no legs. That’s good fun when you see the young (usually men) who are super competitive paddling their way down the pool. It’s to raise money for the Chest, Heart and Stroke. I’m used to making an eejit of myself in the pool so it’s better for a good cause! ( I
    would admit to being a little competitive myself too!)
    @ciren2 I’m sure you dread the hustle and bustle of the extra deliveries at Christmas. Hope your feet don’t give you too much trouble.

Day 22 Minnesota, USA NFD
    “Happy Thanksgiving Day” to all!

I completed B2B FDs yesterday, 385 cals and 418 cals, respectively. I’m very happy about that. I hadn’t done B2Bs for quite awhile and found it easier this time. Weight this morning is a low of 153.8 lbs, (70 kg) and though I know it will go up, I also know that I’ll see it again next week if I don’t go too far overboard with eating for the rest of the week.
    I plan another FD tomorrow or Saturday to give myself room to enjoy Thanksgiving dinner and vino today with daughter and family.

@ciren2….Well, thank goodness for FaceTime and Skype and such. What a wonderful technology to be thankful for in this day and age. I hope everything works out for the best for everyone concerned regarding your daughter’s move. I’ll keep you in my thoughts.

@emma-taylor….chucking and shucking are used in the same way in “these here parts”, (that was suppose to be an exaggerated regional use of a phrase). I grew up in “corn country” in the midwest, where we ‘shuck’ corn by pulling off the husks and throwing. I didn’t even realize I used that regional colloquialism. 😉 And I agree that chips (crisps) are deliciously evil. Harder for me to control than sweet treats, I think; but it’s hard to say for sure. I have so often made sure I had a supply of both at the same time…..:-(

@snowflake56….you are a good and caring friend! I’ll keep your friend and her OH in my prayers. It is so amazingly common for back issues to manifest themselves when a person is under stress. Another good reason for us all to de-stress whenever possible. I hope all works out as best as possible.

@shinything…congrats on your good FD. Sometimes one good FD is all it takes to get our mojo back. Glad you are feeling better about things.

@jaifaim…glad you are feeling better. Plenty of time for another FD and congrats on your 5lb drop! I also love my lows after a FD even though I know they will disappear for awhile. I look at them as indicating where I’ll be in another week or two, more permanently, as long as I do 5:2 as I should.

@suresh3101….welcome back! I, too, am a prodigal daughter of this WOL and this forum. I successfully lost about 30 lbs (13.6 kg) two years ago and then gained it back. I look at it as a” live and learn” experience that I needed. Unlike many of the wise people that are still here on the forum, still fasting and maintaining their goal weights, I apparently needed to slide (I won’t say fail) in order to realize this is something I need to stick with for life.
    I’ve already lost about 14-15 lbs (6.8kg) since August 14. That’s not as fast as I lost last time but I’m taking it a little easier this time. I am ok with doing a couple 800 cal FDs if that’s the best I can manage. Maybe a couple controlled days in the week (1200), also. That makes it pleasant and manageable for me. I don’t dread my FDs this time as I had started to last time. My goal for this next month or two is about 4 more lbs (2kg) down, to 150lbs, and then I’ll focus a little more on exercise and making sure I can stay there with 2 FDs a week. If I keep going downwards at that point, then great! But I plan to take some time to just maintain and consolidate before losing more. Wishing you the best of luck and I’m glad to be on this journey with you!

@michelinme…congrats on your smaller size! And good luck on your FD, today.

@annemarilyn…..I would love that keto bread recipe, it sounds like just the ticket for my DH who loves, loves, loves his bread. It’s his greatest weakness. He’s just been diagnosed type 2 diabetes and trying to limit bread, but he’s having a really tough time. I’d so appreciate the recipe. And feel free to throw in that low carb pecan pie recipe, another of his favorites. 🙂

@debster251…..what a great idea for a fund raiser! I hope you make a good showing, but in any case, have a great time!

Off to dinner with my family. I’m so thankful for all of them, and for everything I’ve been blessed with this Thanksgiving Day.

And that includes being thankful for all of the wonderful people on this forum who support me in reaching my goals of health and happiness.

Best to wishes to everyone for a wonderful day!

Day 22, Gozo, Malta, cfd

NorthernDawn thank you for your comments about my son.

Today I managed another cfd. I have a sore throat and I might need antibiotics my daughter informed me. I’m not being particularly hungry. It was easy to be mindful.

Good night everyone.

Happy thanksgiving to all our American friends.

Day 22
    2nd post

sorry this post went wrong, will try again.

Day 22
    3rd post

phew, had a very busy day,dogwalking, shopping, cooking in a kitchen where I can’t find anything is not easy. I’m so tired now and have 2 blisters from walking, just not used to it.

@northrancher welcome!

@suresh3101 welcome back! I also took a small break and gained again. We just can’t do without the great companionship we have here, can we!

@debster251 hope you were successful in the fund raising swim.

@dykask took a look at the planches, very difficult to do, how do you start?

@missybear well done on the WFD, I tried it once and found it extremely hard.

@basyjames thanks for the cauliflower soup recipe, I love soup.

@shinything I’m glad your FD worked out.

@northerndawn I hope your granddaughter is well enough to join the Thanksgiving dinner tonight. I really liked your post to @dingping and @jaifaim, so well said. We know our friend’s husband always reacts with physical problems when things get hard, we think he’ll recover when the surgery is over tomorrow. I like your long posts, you have something to say, so never apologize for writing a long post.

Happy Tanksgiving to all Americans and a nice evening to everyone!

Day 23 – Japan – WFD (#84 in 2018)

Happy Thanksgiving to all the practice it.

@snowflake56 – The way to start is using a progression. Start with something much easier and build up. For the planche the starting point is typically a frog stand which is a common Yoga position. However I can only do that for a few seconds right now. Basically knees are on your elbows with only your hands on the ground. Then as one’s shoulders and core gets stronger move into a tuck. Then advanced tuck, spread leg planche and finally a planche with the legs straight back. It can take months to move through the progression. It is about developing core strength and balance. It also builds a lot of shoulder and back strength.

I’m not sure I can even do it. Most people doing these types of exercises are in their teens to early 20’s. However I’ll never do it if I don’t start trying. A planche is kind of a gateway move to more advanced exercises. Another one is a muscle up when one does a pullup and then pulls the body above the bar and then does a straight bar dip so that one’s waist is a the bar level. I can’t do that one either … yet.

There are literally 100’s of exercises. There are also many handstands, flips, things like L-sits (doing a pullup with your legs straight out), flags, etc …
    I’m just starting with a planche because I can work on it, even in the winter and all it requires a floor and a pillow to fall on.

Day 22 Canada FD

@dykask I like your attitude, you never know what you are capable of if you don’t try!
    @anna6 I hope you are feeling better very soon.
    @northerndawn you are on fire, well done and thanks for motivating us with your success
    @michelinme I also really like to think about FD’s in terms of how many are left in the challenge, makes it all seem relatively achievable
    @suresh3101 welcome back, it is great to have you with us again

Wishing all our US friends a very happy Thanksgiving!

Day 23, Barendrecht Netherlands, FD

trying to do B2B, soup is in the fridge but I’m in the house of temptation, sweets wherever you look.

@dykask thanks for explaining the planches. I’ll have a look at youtube for more information. My core strenght isn’t too bad, I’m doing 8 minutes planks every morning. I’m going to try the planches with you, let’s see how far we can get.

Pocket list day 23

@snowflake56 1st of B2B
    @dykask WFD

Have a nice day everyone!

@basyjames I am getting a message that the tracking sheet is in your trash and will soon disappear.
    Can you recover the file and restore it? Thanks in advance.

Day 23 – Ireland 🇮🇪 – NFD

I’m BACK…..and with a loud thump after my week of travelling, planes, trains and automobiles, celebration meals and champagne, lots of it….lots of torrential rain and freezing cold temperatures….phew.

I am back to work for one day today and I am looking forward to giving my body a break from food and drink, although tonight will be dinner as usual.

Valencia was beauty as always but completely rain sodden for the entire weekend. As we were there for the Gran Prix it was a wet experience at the circuit. Early starts at 3.15 am on both the outward and return journeys with long drives to and from Madrid either way. Arrived back in Dublin Monday, and flew back out to Manchester on Tuesday morning. DH’s youngest daughter was graduating from college so we had a lovely time with her, very proud of her first class honours degree and award for Academic Achievement as she got the top marks! We flew back to Dublin yesterday after a long flight delay….nothing to do in airports but snack.

So I dare not weigh but definitely a few pounds up. I have bought chocolate for the gang in work but no intention of eating any of it. Will skip food until lunch with a small oat bran sandwich and a long, much needed walk, at lunch.

I have caught up as far as page 10 so will catch up later today. It’s good to be back with y’all, and I hope those who celebrate Thanksgiving had a lovely day yesterday.

DAY 23 – UK – NFD

Yesterday ended up being the FD that never was. Still well under TDEE.

Nonetheless a slight loss seen on the scales this morning.

Will have a CD today to ensure a further deficit in TDEE.

@daffodil2010 sounds like you had a great time. You must also be so proud of your step daughter!

Happy Friday Everybody.

Day 23 UK FD
    Day 22 NFD/EFS
    Day 21 EFS

I lost my long post yesterday and gave up in frustration and haven’t had a chance to catch up since but from what I can remember just wanted to say:
    @anna6 – you have a lovely brill son.
    @snowflake56 – what wonderful friends you and your OH are I have my fingers crossed all goes well for your friend today.
    @ciren2 brrrgh its cold outside, wrap up warm, weather sympathies.
    @michelinme – things seem to gang up on you from time to time but admire your calm approach to life ditto to @rainbowsmiles.
    @northerndawn – thanks for expanding the conversation on ‘saying no’. I’m an eager to please, keep the peace kinda a person and will often say yes for those reasons, I know I am taken advantage of because of this! The hardest to fight is requests that come with some emotional blackmail. It is true I should take some time to think would this person do this for me? I have often been disappointed when a similar request made by me to an individual has not been reciprocated, my SIL’s are the biggest culprits here and they add on the emotional blackmail to! Enough is enough, is it too strong to say the worm is turning?!
    I apologise now for not responding to many more posts but time this am prohibits this.

Because of posting malfunctions yesterday I’m late to the Thanksgiving Day party in wishing our American chums a happy, joyful, reflective and thankful day for what’s good in life, hope you all had a good one!

Going for B2B FD’s as I need to make up a lot of ground. I ignored my own as well as others sage advice for managing stress/anxiety past few days and reverted to the munchies to occupy hands and mind. Need to work harder on my automatic/default setting. Might get some sugar free chewing gum for those days where chewing is needed to release stress, anybody tried this?

Right ending now before the posting dragon gobbles this post to.

Have a god day all.

Ta x

Day 23 Pocket List
    @snowflake56 1st of B2B
    @dykask WFD
    @dingping

Day 23 Belfast NFD

We had lots of fun yesterday evening and hopefully raised lots of money. A beautiful supper was provided by the staff of the pool, and I ate mindfully. 💪
    I hope all our American friends enjoyed their Thanksgiving celebrations.

@northerndawn – I loved your take on the local lingo.
    @dykask – I admire your determination in your quest to achieve a planche. I hope you achieve your goal.
    @snowflake – wow!! You put me to shame. An 8minute plank is some going. Well done,
    @daffodil2010 – glad you had a great time. You’ve got a seriously smart step daughter there. I’m sure you’re both so proud of her.

My weight is hovering at the top end of my range, which I would like to reduce but that might be a work in progress with Xmas approaching.

Onwards and downwards

Thankyou @debster251 @annemarilyn @northerndawn @snowflake56 @bellyblast for those kind words welcoming me back. Hope I be more focussed this time. Good thing is Christmas has nothing to do with me as we dont celebrate that. 🙂
    Good luck everyone.

Day 23 – UK – FD
    Day 22 – NFD

I was absent from the forum yesterday so hope that all our American friends who celebrate Thanksgiving had a fab time!!

Early aerobic class yesterday morning to set me up for the day! DD and I had a very nice tapas meal out yesterday evening then went to see Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald. We have seen every Harry Potter film together so could not break tradition.

A brilliant 6km hike this morning with my usual walking group on a perfect sunny winter’s day ☀️😎
    followed by a pot of tea a catch up with the running group. Now back home and relaxing catching up on the forum.

@michelinme – well done in getting to that size 12 💃
    @snowflake56 – hope your friend’s surgery goes well today – you are a good friend going over to support her OH ❤️ and I must congratulate you on holding an 8minute plank!!!!
    @suresh3101 – welcome back – we will pull you back on that 5:2 wagon and try to keep you with us – logging in daily is a great form of accountability and as you know lots of support available here with no judgement! Together we can hopefully navigate over the pitfalls of the festive season!
    @ciren2 – thinking of you especially over this busy time for all post office workers – here’s hoping the plantar fasciitis behaves itself during this busy period x
    @northerndawn – great job on that successful B2B
    @dykask – I took a look at the Planche – respect to you 💪 I can’t even do a proper pushup despite being able to hold either a elbow or full plank for 3 minutes and I can side plank for 1 minute – I will keep trying with my pushups……….
    @shimmera – there is a new link to the spreadsheet that works – It was updated on the 6th and reissued by @basyjames – here it is
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Sm19V6MpRZxaWSg4rd8fdqbvpgt_L89L1RTiu5dpUDc/edit?usp=drivesdk
    @daffodil2010 – good to have you back and to hear that you had a great time in Valencia despite the rain
    and congratulations to your stepdaughter – you and your OH should justifiable be very proud of her what a wonderful achievement on her part 👩‍🎓
    @debster251 – what a fun way 🏊‍♀️ to raise money for a good cause

Seven days left of this November Challenge so enough time to make a concerted effort with this WOL to set us up for a great start to the December Challenge – I’ll be setting this up either later today or over the weekend and here’s hoping that many of you will join in to ensure we don’t stray too far from our goals over the festive season – TOGETHER WE ARE STRONGER!
    I see that @michelinme will be celebrating her first anniversary on this WOL on the first of December – I’m celebrating my 2nd anniversary of being in Maintenance – anyone else celebrating a 5:2 anniversary in December???
    Lots can happen in a week for those who might be struggling or still sitting on a dreaded plateau so lets buckle up and pull ourselves onto that 5:2 wagon and let us dispatch a lb or two more!!

Looking forward to a lovely weekend – wishing the same to all

Day 23 UK CD

managed OMAD FD yesterday – yay – even tho it slipped into a MFD. I ate so much tofu that I couldn’t finish my vegetable stew with cauliflower & cheese, tho I managed to squeeze in the fat-free Greek yogurt with cacao and almonds 🙂

Didn’t manage to weigh first thing today so will save myself for the month end weigh & measure next Friday. I seem to be still on the weight plateau but in shape-shifting mode atm. My carbtastic tum has shrunk a little, as has the fat suit over my ribs and waist, leading to a slightly more streamlined silhouette. It’s all progress. Must remember to drink more, which seems more of a struggle in this cold weather.

Sinus pain and a nosebleed this morning have reminded me of the need to go gently with this virus and to see my GP, so finally booked a follow-up phone appt for next week. He’s great at finding long appts at short notice, checking out acute symptoms and cramming all my follow ups into one appointment 🙂

I’m finding it hard to get/stay motivated ATM even tho there’s plenty of follow up from autumn events that’s still awaiting attention – including really helpful things like reclaiming my expenses! Feeling a bit disorganised in the midst of a mess looking forwards and backwards, and trying to remind myself that it’s been busy time with events, guests and sickness. I’m feeling in need of time out, so time to make a list and switch off until Monday. Far better to use my limited energy for getting my mind & Body into a more helpful place – and sorting out a new laptop!

Wishing you all a helpful end to the week, whatever shape it’s taken. We can often do far more than we know, and much more simply than we can imagine. Sometimes we need to rest and plan the next steps, or simply reflect on the view from where we are now 🙂

@michelinme – Oh dear just realised that you were going to host the December Challenge and I was going to do the January one 🤭🤭🤭

I WILL ASK THAT MY POST FOR DECEMBER BE DELETED AND YOU CAN SET UP THE DECEMBER CHALLENGE – SO SORRY FOR ANY CONFUSION CAUSED 😘

Day 23, London, UK, NFD

Happy Belated Thanksgiving to my US friends, I hope it wasn’t too carbtastic!!!

It’s a late check-in after Pilates, I just couldn’t get myself together this morning.

@dykask, I can’t even think about the planche, let alone do one!!!!

@michelinme, I’m with you on the water consumption. I’m making very little progress in increasing my intake in this cold, even with herbal tea …………………. Roll on summer!!!

@at, I’m looking forward to December already, I’ll need all the help I can get from you guys to navigate Xmas!!!

Stay strong everyone, just 1 week to go!!!

Day 23: Gloucestershire, UK: NFD
    Wish I hadn’t stepped on the scales this morning. Inexplicable gain. Could it be the battery is failing…the cold weather….the different room I used??? I wish I could fast.
    @at: Happy second anniversary in maintenance. What a star!
    @michelinme: Happy first anniversary in the WOL….and being size 12.
    @northerndawn: good b2b to you.
    @dingping: Good luck on keeping the stress-dragon at bay. My trouble too and the boredom-dragon is another one to watch.
    @suresh3101: I wish we didn’t celebrate Christmas….quite so much! It’s far too commercialised. Welcome back.
    I’m only here running alongside, hoping, one day, to scramble back up on the wagon.
    @snowflake56: Hope all is going well with your house-sitting, husband-caring, dog-walking stint in The Netherlands.

Day 23, Surrey (UK), NFD, 149.6lb

This week marks the 1-year anniversary for this WOE for me. It took 11 months, give or take, to reach my target of 150lb, and for the past month or so I’ve been in maintenance. Or at least, attempting to maintain!

This continues to be a period of experimentation, to see what works for me. Initially I thought I’d try a pattern of 3 days’ fasting at 500 cals per fortnight, but I found I missed the discipline of fasting on my ‘day off’. So, thanks to comments from a couple of maintainers on this thread (@missybear – I think you were one of them?), I switched back to 5:2. but have been upping the fast day calorie counts to 800, mainly by adding a healthy porridge breakfast on those days, plus a more substantial evening meal.

Last week I struggled with the night time snack dragon, and had to ask my DH to hide the naughty chocolates and crisps! This week I have been much better at distracting myself with water, chewing gum, or just keeping busy in the evenings. I’m also continuing to experiment with healthy recipes – this week I tried Antony Worrall Thompson’s GI diet fish pie. As a result I was a smidgen under my self-imposed target weight this morning, and my OH, who really does not need to lose any more weight, has lost another 2lb this week!

I have been reading Krista Varady’s ‘Every Other Day diet’. In this, she explains about the thermogenic effect of losing weight – in essence, it means I need less calories to maintain my current weight than someone who has always been 150lb. To achieve maintenance, she recommends a maintenance regime of 3x 1,000 calorie a day ‘success days’ per week. and this has been backed up by studies. So it seems there could be more than one way to maintain, but to my knowledge, only Varady’s method is scientifically proven. I guess we each have to work out what is the best way to maintain for ourselves. Whatever I end up doing long-term, from reading this book I realised that I cannot foresee a future without some form of periodic calorie restriction. When this dawned on me, at first I felt a sense of doom. But then I thought about it, and realised…is it really so terrible to fast periodically? Have I not just spent the past year proving to myself that it’s not only possible, but actually beneficial to my health? I’m going to need to shop for food, prepare meals and eat for the rest of my life anyway, so what more effort will be involved in planning in for fast days? Same thinking applies to exercise and taking care of myself. Why on earth would I not do it?

Anyway, wherever you are in your journey, keep on keeping on. You know you’re worth it!

2nd Post

@fatfingers I enjoyed reading your post. Thank you for sharing.

Do you mind me asking how tall you are?

Day 23 – Eastern WA USA – FD

Thanksgiving was a wonderful time at my house. What a time of giving thanks & healthy feasting! As we were at the table, I started off about what I was especially thankful for this year and then each one shared as they were ready; ping-ponging around the table. It was great to learn what was on my adult kiddos hearts, as well as the couple of friends my son had invited, plus my upstairs neighbors. I was blessed to host! I liquid fasted until the meal and then ate until satisfied. Only up 1/2 lb this morning.

@northerndawn – the recipes are from the Keto Connect folks. The Microwave Bread I got from their cook book “Keto Made Easy” that I bought recently. The pecan recipe I printed from them online & I’m providing the link for it.
    https://www.ketoconnect.net/low-carb-pecan-pie/

The bread is so simple:
    Melt 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter in a 12 oz. mug or ramekin about 30 seconds. Add 1 1/2 tbsps blanched almond flour, 1 1/2 tbsps golden flax meal, 1 large egg & 1/2 tsp baking powder – mix with a fork. Microwave on high for 60-70 seconds ( I did 70) until bread is cooked through and set in the center. Allow to cool in the mug for 2 to 3 minute, then run a knife around the edge to release the bread. Slice in half and enjoy.
    I enjoy it a variety of ways, including toasted, in a sandwich, as french toast and more.

@daffodil2010 – sorry you got water logged in Valencia but hopefully it was still worth going.

@fatfingers – I believe fasting will always be part of my life even when I get to a weight I’m happy with, because of all the other health benefits. Once in a while it’s good to review some of those. Dr. Mosley and others like Dr.Jason Fung have written about the many benefits (The Complete Guide to Fasting). One of them for me is for the brain health / keeping from getting dementia etc and more. That really motivates me. Maybe others can list more of the benefits besides weight loss.

@snowflake56 – hopefully you’re taking care of yourself as you take care of others.

@at – yes let’s finish November strong! Left overs will stay firmly in the fridge today as I go for a liquid fast day.

Together we are stronger folks!

Day 23 Wales NFD

Weighed in today at 129.8 so maintenance going well. What I love about this WOE is the flexibility to experiment to find what works best for each of us. I didn’t think water fasting would work for me until this week, especially as my FDs have usually been around 800 calories. I find 2 800 calorie FDs a week easy and will stick with that most weeks……but for times when NFDs are especially indulgent (Christmas!!!) I will throw in the occasional water fast now I know I can do it. @fatfingers I’m still learning maintenance and happily accept this is the way I will eat forever. I even like the restriction of FDs because I enjoy food and wine so much more, and guilt free, on NFDs.

Grateful for this forum and will definitely be here in December, my first Christmas in maintenance will be a challenge 😉

Day 23 second post

Funny how the good stuff of a FD makes good self-care choices the next day so much easier! I had more water today and my on-the-go snack lunch of brazil nuts, almonds, cheese, raisins and an apple was a much healthier way to eat 400 calories. Going to have baked sweet potato with vegan mince and peas for supper, stewed apple & berries for pudding if I’ve got room. Hot bath and early night, ready for a livelier Saturday.

@at no worries 🙂 I read your post and was scratching my head for when on earth I’d signed up to host – I’m way for part of January and full on in Feb, and couldn’t believe I’d thought ahead to March! 😀

@fatfingers congratulations on your 1st anniversary this week, on your weight loss and beginning your maintenance experiments. It’s a wonderful decision and a great journey to have made for self-care and health.

I’m amazed to think where I was a year ago – 34lb heavier and around 3 sizes larger, without a clue about calories, never having heard of magnesium oil – and not having had a restful night’s sleep since 1997. With a sense of being cut off from the world by my fat suit, and from myself, with not much sense of who i was becoming in this new shape and identity – as tho I was disappearing.

Now I feel much more energetic – notwithstanding a nasty pneumonia & pleurisy in the summer which was apparently life-threatening but certainly knocked me for six. With the help of this WOL, the support of lovely virtual friends on these wonderful challenge threads and magnesium oil I’ve rediscovered restorative sleep, clear thinking, greater confidence and sense of self and a quieter mind. What’s not to love?

I’ve not yet got to my original goal of 140lbs/63kg, plateaued at around 145lbs for the last 3 months while I enter the shape-shifting stage 🙂 But still plenty going on, especially when I stay away from carbs, cakes, sugar… and I’m in this for life.

Thankyou for lovely thoughts about reaching a size 12 – that was only for one particular dress from one manufacturer! I’ve also got some size 14s that don’t fit at all! But I’m at that stage where my head thinks I’m still quite a lot bigger than I am and is really surprised when small clothes fit and large clothes don’t.

Probably my last bit of mental double-take this weekend as I’ve just washed the last of my winter season dresses. Both are large shapeless Cos dresses with lovely deep pockets,and both fitted me just fine 35lbs ago. I’m sad because one is navy velvet and SO on trend for this season in the UK, and because I literally don’t have any clothes the right size! But I’m going to try them on and see what works – otherwise I’ll be passing them on to a new home & hitting the charity shops Big Time 🙂

Day 23, Gozo, Malta, cfd

Bellyblast thanks for your wishes but I’m still sick 🤕.

Dingping thanks for your comment about our son. He does go out during the weekend but studies during the week.

Today I made a chicken, apple, spinach leaves, avocado and toasted pine nuts salad for lunch and baked chicken legs with red peppers and tarragon for supper.

Good night everyone

Day 23, UK, FD

So far so good, I still have plenty of room for a small snack and its 9pm, so I dare to call it a successful FD 😀

@suresh3101 welcome back 🙂 . You achieved a small victory by making a decision to give it another try 👍 . Good luck 😀

@northerndawn, @snowflake56 thank you for your encouraging words, sometimes small victories mean a lot 😊

@daffodil2010 welcome back 🌹, and congrats to your step daughter on getting the top marks 😀

To all who celebrate, happy Thanksgiving 🙂

2nd post

@judyjudes I’m 5’7.5″, so not especially tall. My BMI is around 23 and my waist-height ratio is about 0.44.

However I have (I think) an exceptionally large frame for a female, which is the reason why I don’t want to go lower than 150lb. My bony wrist measures 7″, shoe size is UK size 10 (44cm) and I can’t get ladies’ hats or gloves to fit me because of my very large head and hands. My bust size is 37″ and of that measurement my chest accounts for 36″ as I have small boobs (think fried eggs on a toast rack and you get the idea!).

That might not sound too attractive but I’m quite happy with the new me, wrinkly skin and all!

Day 23 USA (Utah visiting) NFD

Wow, great food that was well over TDEE on our Thanksgiving table. I’ll have to make it up in the next few days.

@northerndawn – our SIL here is a huge Vikings fan, so I am all with you and him against the Packers. I was glad to see my Bears defeat the Lions! Also, big game tomorrow for two of our four kids went to Michigan. they even have a good chance against The Ohio State U on Saturday. This would be Jim Harbaugh’s first win over them.

@annemarilyn – that keto bread sounds most interesting. There is a cloud bread recipe that didn’t really do much for me, but this sounds delicious.

Onward and downward.

Day 23 – Ireland – NFD

Day 24 – Japan – NFD

84 water fasts done.

I guess I now have my 2019 goal … to do a planche. That is what happens when I shoot off my mouth. (While fingers typing in this case.) One planche is probably much harder to achieve than 90 water fasts in a year. However there are big advantages.

1) Calisthenics are easier the leaner you are. The less useful body weight you have the better. This will encourage me to maintain and continue weight losses.

2) Calisthenics tend to build the whole body, so the muscle mass isn’t just in one area. I’m not really into the body builder look.

3) Something like a planche, or handstand, etc just requires a floor, maybe a wall some times and pillow or softer ground to help with the face plants. (So far I only have two of those, the first one convinced me to use a pillow which helped a great deal with the second one.)

The biggest issue I have is my elbows. However only chin-ups are now painful so I’m getting better. My wrists used to be painful, but that doesn’t seem to be much of an issue now.

Day 23 Ohio, US — FD(#31)
    Day 22 — NFD

Got together with some friends for the Thanksgiving meal. One of the nice things about this WOL is that you don’t have to feel guilty about things like celebrations.
    The FD has gone well, but this evening I do feel quite cold. It could be the new thermostat in the house may need to be better calibrated. Or it could be the massive exposure to onion vapor that I had yesterday. I’m allergic to onions, and while people made some food without onions for my sake, they did do a lot of dishes with so much onion that when I got home my clothes were saturated with onion aroma. Hopefully a good night’s rest will reset the immune system.

Enjoy the full moon!

Day 23 – USA – NFD

@matpi, totally enjoyed that full moon, as I visited friends far into the woods, where it was so wonderfully visible! Hope all my USA friends had a good Thanksgiving. I have been reading all the posts daily, but I have not had a FD in a long time now this month! I intend to keep posting sporadically, keeping abreast of the spreadsheet no matter what, just to keep my hat in the ring. My goal is 145-150, and I’m playing with 1-3 lbs. of 150 from day to day.

Day 23 – USA – NFD

@matpi, totally enjoyed that full moon, as I visited friends far into the woods, where it was so wonderfully visible! Hope all my USA friends had a good Thanksgiving. I have been reading all the posts daily, but I have not had a FD in a long time now this month! I intend to keep posting sporadically, keeping abreast of the spreadsheet no matter what, just to keep my hat in the ring. My goal is 145-150, and I’m playing with 1-3 lbs. of 150 from day to day.

Viewing 50 posts - 551 through 600 (of 760 total)

You must be logged in to reply.