Little Voices – Mindfull March

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Little Voices – Mindfull March

This topic contains 91 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by  chipmunk13 8 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 92 total)

• Join our ongoing challenge at Little Voices

Hi everyone from our February Little Voices challenge, and any newbies wanting to join in.
    This month I thought we could take a look at the kind of food we are eating, and how we are eating it. We perhaps could all be more mindful of our food intake and what it is doing to our bodies. As a retired chef I am used to cooking daily and use the best seasonal ingredients I can find. I picked up during the February challenge that some of you are eating the same things over and over on a fast day and perhaps getting a bit bored. I will endeavour to post some easy recipes and ideas to get the taste buds going, without piling on the pounds.
    I also noticed that whilst some of you reduced in weight, quite a few didn’t budge at all, even after sticking to the fasting day pledges. This says to me perhaps the NFD’s are a little gung ho. That is such a shame after persevering with the fast days pledged, that there is not much to show for it. OK, it is a given that you are getting health benefits from fasting, but it would be nice to drop a few pounds along the way.
    Can I suggest that you to go back to basics from Dr M’s book and fast for a minimum of two days per week, keeping within the 500/600 cals per FD. (or 25% of your TDEE if it’s lower) Work out your TDEE from the tracker so that you know what calories you should be eating on a non fast day, and the challenge will be to stay within these guidelines. Can I also suggest that you keep a record of your weight the morning after fast day. Nothing fancy, just a piece of paper and pencil, so you can see any patterns twice weekly. When you see the numbers starting to come down, it does give you the incentive to eat mindfully.
    Whilst I am not a philosopher, nor a writer, I am a very practical person, so will try to keep it simple in helping you out with information gleaned from the various books I have, recipes and facts, in the hope that we are all able to shed a few more pounds by the end of Mindful March! (Sorry – spelt wrong on the title page! – Oooops) See you here tomorrow for the start of a new challenge. TTL

Hi TTL – makes so much sense and already I am feeling optimistic that in March I will get well and truly back on Track. Looking forward to some nice recipes – I am one of those who stick to the same thing. I am on a fast day today and will do 8 more in March – I think the biggest challenge is keeping a note of my non fast days – I am inclined to not write down everything – trying to kid myself – if its not there in black and white it doesn’t really count. Weighing in tomorrow and will post my weight (which I use to do) – if I write it down it must be true. I’ll get the book out again as well and re-familiarise myself with it – Thank you

Thanks Coda and great to see you here. If you download the app for MYFITNESSPAL it’s so easy to keep track of calorie costs. I usually fill in what I’ve had for breakfast, then fill in what I know I am having for dinner. That leaves me with a lot of calories I can either eat at lunchtime, or just have soup and save calories for maybe a glass of wine, or G & T later on. Just keeps me mindful of not going overboard throughout the day. Here’s to Mindful March. TTL

Hi there – I posted a version of this on February and am reposting here.

February wasn’t a great month for me. Similar to Sweetooth55, I have been running in place also. I have had a series of migraines which totally throws me off for days at a time. Fortunately, I have been able to maintain the weight I have lost and in fact the tape measure is saying I have lost a few more inches – waist, chest, hips. Wahoo! I still feel pretty good about this WOE and find it so much easier to get back on track when I do fall off the wagon. I find I don’t beat myself up about it like in the past with other diets. I still have a good 20lbs to lose, and I’m ok with knowing this is a journey and not a race.

I’m committing to
    – 2 fasts per week, with one other semi fast day on Friday’s – 900 calories
    – limiting alcohol intake to 2 glass of wine Friday and Saturday
    – 10K steps 5 times per week
    GOAL – Lose 4 pounds.

Good Luck everyone.

Good Mindful March 1st morning (it is here) TTL and all joining this month’s forum. As I said yesterday I would weigh in today and rewrite my profile accordingly.

I too did a little happy dance when I weighed in after a very very patchy February. I am 100grams up on 1 February and measurements are the same. That said, they were all a wee bit lower at the end of December even after the holiday season.

It makes me very aware that if I did what I should be doing and really am mindful and deliberate then March will be the month that sees me below 70kg (my goal is a 6 at the beginning of the number!) for the first time in I don’t know how long.

Mindful March sees my planner with 9 fast days scheduled in, along with a lot of time away from home and several events – March seems a busy birthday month and throw in a wedding or two and the month disappears.

Thanks again TTL for taking over the month – thanks everyone for your kind words, inspiration and ongoing encouragement on this forum. Good luck everyone for mindful March (though in our hearts we all know luck has little to do with it!)

Hi, thanks TTL for picking up the reins. I am committing to 12 fasts this month and will try extra hard not to indulge in my sweet tooth for Easter. Will try and manage 72,000 steps a week and focus more on my strength training which I fell of the wagon with last month, and fitting into size 14 clothes, at the moment 16 too baggy, 14 too tight. I am not going to weigh as my scales tell porkies!!
    I have found some Dutch rusks that are only 27 cals each so will use them on fast days when I am hungry. On fast days I usually have a banana at 11, half a protein bar for lunch with a coffee and for tea, whatever I have cooked for my family but 3/4 plate full of salad or vedgies.

Morning all little voices,

TTL, thanks for taking the baton this month.
    It is an apt name for the month as Spring is the season of new growth and to aid that mindfulness is essential.

Commitment for March:
    9 fasts.
    Stick to my TDEE on NFDs
    Exercise 5/week
    Daily logging on MFP.

I started watching my carb intake in the month of Feb and it has greatly improved the food I eat and also how I feel. I have only reduced it to 100g/day but that is so much better than what I was having before.

Looking forward to a wonderful and mindful month ahead

Great to see the commitments coming in at the start of Mindful March.
    Hopefully we shall be seeing our friends, Action Hero, Billy B, Q1 and all of you other lovely people from the February challenge. I love hearing what you have been up to and reading your informative posts.
    Well, how about this for a change at breakfast:-

Poached egg with Spinach, Portobello mushroom and vine tomatoes.

Clean mushroom and place on grill tray with vine tomatoes. Spray with a little oil and place under hot grill for five minutes, turning as necessary.
    Poached one egg for 3/4 minutes.
    Rinse a handful of spinach in water and shake off excess. put in microwave till wilted. season with S & P and a little nutmeg. Assemble together on a plate. – Enjoy.
    This is one of Mimi’s recipes. Calorie count 124.

Egg protein is more likely to keep you fuller for longer, so eggs for breakfast is a winner.

I must admit to feeling a little disappointed with myself as after all my effort during February I have managed to stay exactly the same. My measurements too. So March for me is going to be a big push.

I had Yeo Valley Greek Yogurt with dessert last night and decided this morning to check the quantity – two tablespoons = 39 calories. Well I have been using a big spoon piled up and now know that I am taking double the amount intended. I shall start using a proper measuring tablespoon for a while till I get back to being able to judge it better. It is so easy to revert back to old ways. Do you guess quantities on your plate, or do you actually weigh things every once in a while to make sure you are not overdoing it???
    It is so easy to eat more than intended as portion sizes have grown out of all proportion these days. When eating out, I find the portion sizes enormous. But then I hate wasting food, and somehow manage to eat more than necessary. Time to be more mindful and reign it in!!! Have a great day all – the sun is shining at last in Dundee, so might make a walk this afternoon.
    TTL

Morning and thanks to TTL for taking over the reins for March.

I shall commit to 9 fasts for March and would really like to lose 4lbs.

Great idea of posting recipes I think occasionally we can all fall into a rut of cooking the same things on fast days, I have the Hairy Bikers books so will look through those and try some of them and let you know my favorites.

It’s busy at work which is good as my mind is full of car parts instead of food and what can I eat.

Roll on the summer so I can start to eat salads, yes I know you can eat salad any time of the year for me I like to have warm food when its cold outside……anyone else have the same feelings

It seems funny to see you all looking forward to Spring when we are heading to Autumn – that’s Fall for you Nth Americans! We’ve had the hottest Summer anyone can remember for many years here in NZ and it has been hard to sleep because of the hot nights. Fortunately the weather broke yesterday and it was much cooler.

Am pleased to have just completed back to back FDs so am feeling back in control.😀

Hello all hope everyone is looking forward to some bright spring weather! I managed all my fasts in February at total of 8 and I lost weight. I am only looking to lose between 0.75-1 lb per week – I used to go for bigger amounts, fail and then I go despondent! At the moment I am losing 1 lb per week which means I am on target to reach my goal weight on 28 July even allowing for some plateaus because of weekends away and holidays.

I have been trying to find different food to have on my fast days and like you TTL I use seasonal food as much as possible. Courgette spirals instead of pasta are great and mixed with loads of spinach makes a great base for a stir fry.

This month I am focusing on having low carb on my fast days and medium carb on NFDs. I am planning to do 8 fasts again this month and would like a 4 lb loss.

Good luck to everyone 🙂

I am committing to 10 fasting days in March. Also focusing on fats to keep hunger away. I already do low carb so that’s usually not a problem, but if I get hunger nibbles, a spoonful or two of coconut butter fixes me right up. Weird but this also helps if i get cold. Chipmunk, my oldest daughter is in NZ since last October. This is her first extended time so far from home and has made some amazing Kiwi friends! Jealous that she went from summer here to summer there 🙂

I weighed this morning and am 77.8 or 12 stone 3lbs – back up to the 12’s rather than where I was in the 11’s but no one to blame but moi! So the name of this months challenge is very apt for me – to be mindful of what I am putting into my mouth, be mindful what needs to be done to get me closer to my goal, BE MINDFUL full stop! My goal this month as well as the fast days I have pledged is also to write into my fitness pal before I eat – (success is nothing more than a few simple disciplines practiced everyday), to plan ahead and I would like to have lost at least 5 lbs by the end of March!
    That breakfast recipe TTL sounds nice to have in the evening as well so am going to have this on my next fast day. Thanks

Lucylaw – welcome – I see you don’t have any information on your profile – do update it and tell us a little bit more about yourself.

Thank you Coda, it took me two tries, but I got my profile updated. Let’s go Mindful March!

Coda a trick for eating snacks. Write it down before you are going to eat it. Wait 10 minutes do you still want it? Better still is write down everything you’re going to eat the night before or morning of, if it’s not on your list dont eat it.

Mindful of every bite that passes your lips.

Very impressed with everyone’s pledges for the month of March, and welcome Lucylaw to the family.
    Well done Fitzy for dropping weight again, and good luck to reaching your goal in July.
    QuietOne – Read your final post from February and sorry to hear that 5:2 is not working for you. Perhaps if you had started with it before your water fasts, it would have been easier for you. I do wonder about maintaining your extended fasts over a period of time, and whether you will be able to sustain it long term, however, you are obviously working with a doctor on this, so I will just say good luck, and look after yourself.

So, just had a bowl of vegetable soup for lunch (113 cals). No bread with it as my wheat intolerance has a mind of it’s own. So as I have accounted for my dinner tonight in MFP, I have about 500 calories left to play with. This means I can have a cuppa with one of my homemade wheat free biscuits, and not feel guilty. Later on I may decide not to use up the excess calories available, and make a start on getting those last pesky pounds off.

Anyway, here is another of Mimi’s recipes. This is great to put in a slow cooker, or just cook it in the oven, and serves six.

Chicken Puttanesca:
    1 tbsp. olive oil
    20 anchovy fillets (drained)
    4 chopped garlic cloves
    600 grams cherry tomatoes (or a can of chopped tomatoes)
    3 tbsps. mixed olives
    2 tbsps. drained capers
    12 boned (or leave bone in) chicken thighs .Remove skins.
    30 grams fresh basil
    Salt & Pepper

oven at 180C/350F
    Heat oil in heavy based casserole. Add anchovies and garlic, fry gently for 2/3 minutes
    Add tomatoes, olives and capers. Turn heat down to simmer for 5 minutes.
    Add chicken to mix and stir well to cover.
    Put lid on casserole and put into oven for 15 minutes. Remove from oven, and stir mix. put back in oven for 20 minutes without lid. Remove from oven, let it stand for 5 minutes before adding and stirring in basil leaves. Check seasoning.

This is great with spiralized zucchini, or I often have spelt pasta with it.

Great recipe for the slow cooker. Just throw it all in, except basil, stir to coat chicken and switch it on low for 6-8 hours. Add basil and seasoning just before serving. Each serving 247 calories without pasta.

I often do this on a Non FD and have a side salad as well as pasta.

Happy fast day eating!!! TTL

Breakfast this morning was Spiced Pear Porridge:-

30 g jumbo porridge oat (I used gluten free)
    250ml skimmed milk (I use water)
    1/2 pear peeled and sliced (I used 1 small pear with skin on for extra fibre)
    1/2 teaspn cinnamon
    grating of nutmeg
    1 tblspn chopped hazelnuts (I skipped these)
    1 teaspn raw agave nectar ( I skipped this as I found it sweet enough)

Put oats, milk, pear and spices in saucepan, stirring till porridge is cooked and thick. Serve topped with nuts and nectar to taste. (I use a little full cream milk)
    It doesn’t look particularly appetising but tastes delicious, and very filling

221 calories (299 if topped with nuts and nectar)
    From The Fast Diet recipe book.

I am working this afternoon so OH will be cooking dinner:-

Small Salmon fillet
    Jar of ready made pesto
    1 Lemon

Mixed salad of your choice

Put salmon fillet on greased tin foil, skin side down
    Spread teaspoon of pesto over top of salmon
    Season with Salt and pepper
    cut small lemon in half and put beside salmon with a sprig of lemon thyme (or a bay leaf)
    Make a small parcel around salmon, then carefully add a small glass of white wine around salmon.
    Scrunch up tin foil to make airtight package.
    Put on tray in 180C oven for 18 minutes.
    Serve salmon with lemon halves,( which will be really juicy when hot) and a salad of your choice.

This is my own recipe and works out at about 220 calories.
    You could have steamed vegetables instead of salad if wanted.

We often have this low cal meal on non fd’s. It’s so easy even my OH does it without thinking about it.

We have managed to get some snow here in Dundee today, although we also have blue skies and sunshine for now. The skier up the Cairngorms will be having a ball! (snowball!!!)

Remember, today may not be a fast day, but try to fill in MFP before you eat, you will see which carb filled foods cost the most calories, and maybe you can start to eliminate them. I thought I would die if I gave up potatoes, but hey, I’m still here and I don’t miss them at all. My plate would have been filled with buttered new potatoes with the above recipe. Now, because my stomach has shrunk, I am full with just a salad on the side.

Happy cooking folks. TTL

Oh I like the sound of that breakfast, may have that tomorrow – we too had some snow so a warm breakfast sounds just the ticket! Really like these recipes. thanks 🙂 Also going to try the chicken schnitzel for dinner tomorrow.

Hi TTL – A Tip from Hugh at River Cottage – if you soak your oats overnight in water, they dont take as long to cook, and are nice and creamy. Q1, I cut a large chicken breast down the middle, leaving one side joined, spread both sides of middle with tomato paste, garlic, and Italian herbs, and a slice of ham and whatever cheese you fancy and join both sides together, roll in stuffing mix (dry) mixed with parmesan cheese and roast in oven with a bit of olive oil, powdered chicken stock and Italian herbs mixed together, in bottom of roaster, add a few potatoes quartered, microwaved for 5 mins to par cook and roll around seasoned oil, and any tomatoes going a bit squishy cut in half and sprinkle with parmesan cheese, and roast for 30 mins. Makes a lovely roast dinner for two and only takes about ten minutes to prepare. the smell of it cooking is to die for and the chicken breast always turns out moist.

Wow! Mindful March is turning into a delicious recipe exchange🍽

True Chipmunk – might give Mary Berry a run for her money after this! Liked the sound of Rommys chicken, but I would leave out the potatoes. I am trying to cut out carbs mainly due to my ‘Leaky Gut’ but am finding that my stomach has shrunk so much I can’t eat heavy food any more.

Fast day for us today, so – we don’t eat breakfast or lunch, maybe an Oxo cube drink later this afternoon. then we will be having the following for dinner – so easy!

Cod with Spring Onions and Ginger Sauce.Serves 2

Cod fillet skinned and cut into finger size strips.
    Mix 1 tblespn Soy sauce and 1 tblespn sherry together. add fish and turn till covered. Leave for 30 minutes.

Gently fry 2 cloves of slivered garlic, 1/2″ piece of slivered ginger, and 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped red chilli in 1 teaspoon of sesame oil, till garlic is lightly browned.

Add the fish and marinade into pan and turn very gently till fish is opaque. Add the sauce ingredients and spring onions. Turn gently so not to break up the fish. Serve immediately.

Sauce ingredients:-
    1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
    1/2 teaspoon caster sugar
    1 tablespn soy sauce
    1 tablespn sherry.

I serve this with a mix of stir fried Chinese vegetables.
    You could serve rice with it on a non fast day

Approx. 300 calories per serving

Off to Pilates this morning, sun is shining, blue skies, just looking out the window makes me feel better. Like coming out of hibernation!!!
    Have a great day all you fasters!! You can do this. TTL

I tried the porridge this morning with a little difference. All the pears had been eaten so I grated an apple put in a few sultanas along with the the spices. As it wasnt a fast day I served it with a dollop of natural yoghurt and a tsp of honey. It was delicious and filling. Will try the pear version next time.☺

Good afternoon all, is there any room in this Forum for someone who has been missing for a few weeks???

My February wasn’t much to write about, too many distractions, visitors staying almost every week of the month, lots of dining out, too much Vino, not enough Golf, only 4 or 5 gym sessions (that equates to about $12 per session) and my overall weight has gone up from December’s all time low. So it’s back to basics for me, with plenty of encouragement needed from my support group (that’s you guys if you didn’t know it)

I have caught up with all the posts from Feb, thanks Coda for being so conscientious with your guidance and support, it’s not an easy job finding time every day to review and post. Thanks TTL for looking after us this month, I think away back in July last year you had the reigns when I first found this amazing LV group so well done and I look forward to your words of wisdom and encouragement.

Take care all, we are into our first week of Autumn here in New Zealand (as CM has pointed out)however temps are still high 20’s so long may it last until at least May.

Welcome back AH! Sound like you, me and CODA had very similar months in Feb. however we are all back on the programme and with our friends in LV to help we’ll be back to our svelte(?) December selves..😀
    Btw a friend had a party last month and we drank several bottles of Coleraine! He is both wealthy AND very generous 🍷

CHIPMUNK You know how to tease a fellow wine lover, don’t you……

TTL those are lovely recipes, can’t wait to try a couple of them. Fast day for me today, makes me happy that it’s March 4 and I will already have 2 fast days in. Might have to bump up my commitment of 9 days cuz I really enjoy fast days. Loving the mental sharpness I get on these days, and the feeling of exuberance I get from fasting.

Broth and coffee for me today. Then I will be “mindful” on the weekend. What a great way to get healthy without feeling deprived.

Sending good thoughts and best wishes to all on this journey!

Hey……welcome back Action, along with your extra pounds! So glad you are joining us again. You will get to your all time low again by going back to basics.
    I think there have been quite a lot of us have found February a difficult month, but hey, the sun is shining, the bulbs are coming up and spring is just around the corner It gives me such a boost knowing the evenings are getting lighter and the warmer weather is on the way.
    I tried on my summer trousers last week (thinking ahead) and I now have two more pairs waiting to be taken in. Size 14’s are long gone now, and size 12 is definitely my size from now on.
    Well done Lucy Law – so glad you are finding 5:2 suits you and that it’s not a hardship.
    I’m really pleased that you are enjoying the recipes…sometimes you just need a push to get out of the rut and stop getting bored. I used to always eat the same things too on FD as I was a bit scared to stray too far from ‘the book’. But I have learned over time that as long as I add foods to MFP, then I can eat most things, keeping an eye on portions sizes! I choose not to eat carbs (or very little) so that saves a lot of calories and means I can eat more meat and vegetables. Or cheese, or dairy…etc etc….

I have been reading the book called FAT CHANCE by Dr Robert Lustig. Wow, what an eye-opener. Seems that carbs – sugar in particular- is the killer. The worst thing you can put in your body is soda drinks, even diet ones. The body reaction to sugar actually does things to the brain, when the signalling stops working and your brain is fixed in hunger mode, perpetuating overeating and obesity. I have a sweet tooth which I try to keep under control, but occasionally slip, but after reading this book, I will be cutting sugar out of my diet as much as possible. It’s scary what sugar does to your body. Anyway, no sugar in the following recipe – hope you enjoy.

GRILLED HARISSA LAMB CHOPS WITH TOMATO AND CUCUMBER SALSA

2 lamb chops about 3cm thick
    Jar Harissa paste

Salsa:
    2 large firm tomatoes finely chopped
    1/2cucumber finely diced
    1/2 small red onion finely chopped
    Juice of a lemon or lime
    4 tblspns extra virgin olive oil
    1 handful of mint, chopped
    1 minced garlic clove
    Salt and Pepper

Make the salsa by combining all the ingredients and leave to stand for at least 20 minutes.

Rub Harissa paste onto both sides of the meat (This is chilli spicy so do this to taste)
    Leave to marinate for about an hour.
    Heat a griddle pan till almost smoking then balance the chops, fat side down so the fat crisps up.
    Then sear the chops for about 3 minutes each side for medium rare. Longer of course if you like it more well done. Remove from pan and let them rest before serving with the salsa.

I would have these with some steamed vegetables or a side salad. You could have couscous or rice to bulk it up if you are eating carbs.
    Enjoy…TTL

hi everyone – sorry no recipe today. Suffering from a horrible migraine. I made some broccoli and stilton soup to use up some mature stilton last night, and I think it was just too rich for me. In bed early last night and have felt very fragile today, so I’ll take a break over the weekend and wish all you mummies out there a Happy Mothers Day. (Don’t each all the choccies at once!) TTL

TTL – Hope you are feeling better, migraines are horrible, and Happy Mother’s Day to you too. Hope you are feeling 100% in time to enjoy the celebration.

Hi AH good to hear from you again!
    A very good fasting weekend (well most of the weekend) has been forced upon me, not of choice – another cold, developed into a racking cough and no voice again. Spent most of yesterday in bed and have gone back to bed this morning – feeling a little sorry for myself I’m afraid. No interest in food which is the only bright side.
    Love these recipes especially the fish – I know i don’t eat enough fish. I tried the cod one and it was really nice so will do that again. Take care everyone

Hi everyone – hope there’s room for another late joiner please? I’m loving the recipes and taking loads of ideas to mix my menu choices up a bit. This group is so nice. I tried Rommy’s chicken and Q1 schnitzels during the last week – delicious! – Thank you. We had a family weekend away and thought I was sure to have stayed the same or gained as I feel I’ve eaten lots and lots but so pleased when I dug out the scales this morning and the verdict is another 3lb gone. I have some harissa paste in the cupboard so might give that a go soon. Here’s wishing everyone a great week….

Hello all

Hope all of you Mummies had a lovely day yesterday…..I had no chocolates thankfully but I did have a beautiful bouquet of flowers from my son in USA who usually forgets as the date is different over the pond.

Second fast of March for me today and nothing out of the ordinary at all, I am cold but I usually am on a fast day.

Weight loss seems to have stalled for me so I really need to look at what I am eating on NFD as I am sure I am going over TDEE.

Mindful March Week 1 about gone.

Think before you do, doing without thinking is mindless and mindless doings can get you in all types of situations you may not enjoy or you may enjoy overly well but cause other types of problems weight gain being one of them.

Think why you’re doing what you do. Why are you on this pattern of eating/this way of life? What drove you to make such changes? Believe me this pattern of eating will not just change your relationship with food but will impact all areas of your life your relationship with yourself and how you view yourself is right up there. You will find you are mentally stronger than you think.

As you move along this pattern, as you grow stronger, and more confident there is a danger, we can become complacent, “everything is good I don’t need to worry”. Forget the little things, grabbing a snack as you go by the tray, the mindless habits that are so easily regained if we don’t pay attention. The next thing you’re asking yourself “how in the heck did I gain six or sixteen pounds.”

Mindless actions have consequences.

Get to know yourself; get to know your triggers for those times when oh say “it is only one cookie” when you actually mean “it is the whole cookie jar”. It can happen to any of us. I was reaching for cookie number 3 but I caught myself. I was not even hungry. (though why I made 3 dozen chocolate chunk cookies I’m still not sure) The wife ended up taking some to work and the son took a dozen to school. So I made a pan of brownies with fudge frosting. I ate only 1 very small one and I was mindful of what I was doing and I was under my TDEE for the day.

If you’re going to do something anything at all, think about it and enjoy it. Food – enjoy the whole process. The purchase at the store getting the best vegetables, a great piece of chicken just the right size, checking odds and ends in the vegetable isle, will this go well with what I have in mind?

Preparation is one of my favourite parts of cooking; slicing, dicing, measuring, lining up bowls and dishes with ingredients and spices. Like NASA getting ready for space launch, everything ready and in place, one of the reasons I like cooking stir fry style dishes preparation takes a while then the cooking is quick. The aromas as I cook, the changes in the onions as they go translucent, the vibrant green of asparagus as it steams in its pot, the chicken changing from pink to a golden brown. The hiss and sudden fragrance of sauce into the hot pan, the kitchen resplendent in the glory of food in its proper frame as the resulting dish is served onto its platter.

There is a satisfaction that comes from creating – not just “food” or “nourishment”, but a work of my own, changing a recipe to “mine”. There is the thought, the idea, the labour, and the resulting creation and I enjoy my food more for it.

Be mindful of what you’ve gone through and achieved as you consume it. Your food will taste better and mean more to you. You will smile more.

Think. Be mindful and aware. You are your own role model. You learn by watching yourself.

Late post from me but had a busy day today. Hope you are feeling better by now Coda – this is an extreme way to lose weight! LOL.
    Hi Lisa 57 – not too late to join in and really glad you are enjoying the recipes.
    Jayne.Lizzy – Have you downloaded the app MYFITNESSPAL. It’s great for keeping track of calories. I fill in MFP after breakfast, then add in food I know I’m going to be eating during the day. You will see what calories you have left to play with. I don’t eat carbs so my calories go a long way. I also tend to eat High in natural fats which give me extra energy. Which take up extra calories, but not as many as carbs.
    I was fasting today, so I don’t eat breakfast or lunch, but save all my calories for dinner. I do drink lots of hot water and herbal teas. Also I have a beef oxo cube in hot water mid afternoon to keep the pangs at bay.
    This is what I had tonight for dinner tonight:-

Rib eye steak – seasoned both sides and then fry in hot coconut oil, 4 minutes each side (medium rare). Take out of the pan and let rest for 5 minutes before cutting the steak into angled strips. This is enough for two people.

I made a big mixed salad – lettuce, baby spinach, celery, pepper strips, radish, cucumber. Peel and cut avocado in strips, toss in lemon juice to keep the colour. Scatter avocado and beef on top of salad, then sprinkle 1 teaspoon mixed seeds over the top. I use a simple vinaigrette dressing with this.
    I sometimes have a hard boiled egg with it, or you could have some baby new potatoes if you really need to eat carbs. I think this works out to about 370 calories for the day, and I find it very filling.

Apart from the migraine I got over the weekend, I was very mindful that I am now so close to my goal so I didn’t go overboard with eating, even on Mothers Day. My son is taking me out for dinner for a belated Mothers day when I visit him down south at the end of the month.

Hope all you mums had a lovely day, and not to worry you dads, your day is coming up in June!
    Fingers crossed for the weigh in tomorrow – surely March will be my month for ringing the bells and waving the flags, finally!!! TTL

I should’ve read all this before I MINDLESSLY ate too many pieces if roast almond chocolate (even though it’s a NFD)😬

Thanks Quietone for your mindful post. Your eloquent words and my recipes should be helping someone out there!!!

Flags are waving here today, managed to unload another 1.1/4lbs, so now just 3/4lb to goal. It does feel good, and has given me the impetus to really work at the last little bit.

We have had snow again here in Dundee so am posting a Warming Winter Stew recipe from Mimi’s book, this works out at just 385 calories, and I often do this on a NFD too.

1 tspn olive oil (I use coconut oil)
    1 diced onion
    Handful Fresh sage leaves
    400 g good stewing steak, or beef skirt cut into chunks
    Salt & Pepper
    2 tspns plain flour (I use cornflour)
    2 parsnips peeled and quartered
    4 carrots peeled and halved
    1/2 small butternut squash, roughly chopped (I use Swede, or Neep as they are known in Scotland)
    3 Jerusalem artichokes peeled and halved (Optional)
    2 tbspns tomato puree
    1 bay leaf
    250ml red wine
    285 ml vegetable stock
    Finely grated lemon zest
    rosemary leaves

Oven at 170C/325F.
    Put oil in a casserole, add onion and sage leaves, fry for 3 minutes. Dust meat with seasoned flour (I skip this and add cornflour at the end). Add to the pan with all the vegetables. Give it a stir and then add puree, wine and stock. Stir gently and season. Bring to the boil, cover with lid and put into oven for approx. 3 hours. Garnish with lemon zest and scatter finely chopped rosemary leaves.
    I do this in the slow cooker for 8-10 hours. I mix 2 teaspoons cornflour with little water and add this to thicken stew during last half hour.
    I serve this with Steamed Greens. It is delicious with mashed potato, but I don’t eat carbs so I skip this.

Keep warm today everyone, that’s probably a silly statement to you all down under! The stew will help! It’s great to think we can eat these comfort foods and still reduce our weight! Happy cooking TTL

Hi, may I join you? I was following on 2 threads but found myself just repeating myself. I do not have a lot to lose, started 5:2 and got within 1.5 lb. Of goal weight. THEN company arrived immediately followed by a 3 day golf tourney, ending with a birthday (friend), and thought I’d get right back on board. Then we started process of having our 2 condos appraised, looking at houses, etc. and admit to losing focus. Too much stress.
    Good intentions for DD yest but didn’t happen. Ended up with 760 calories, went for 2 walks totaling 1 hour and 10K steps, lost 1/2# which is how I was losing before so am going forward with next DD on Thurs.

Love the topic Mindful March. And thanks for sharing.

TTL it is worth mentioning how many servings Mimi’s recipes make. Am I right in thinking the last one you posted serves 4???

So sorry, Chipmunk. Yes the stew recipe feeds four.
    Have a good night/day!
    TTL

Feeling a little better thank you i now have a deep husky voice which is better than none. The silver lining is I am down 1kg.300g however not a recommended way to lose – i’ll try anything sometimes lol joking!
    Thank you sooo much for these recipes very much appreciated.
    2myhealth welcome to our group but please update your profile so we get to know a little more about you.
    I really am trying to be more mindful but sometimes it is only after the deed that it dawns on me. I am hoping the more I practice the better I will get and will be mindful before the biscuit/chocolate/cake/crisps etc

Hi 2myhealth and welcome to Mindful March.
    It’s so easy to let life get in the way of the way we eat. The thing to remember is that for two days a week you only have to not eat so much. Try just having one meal in the evening. Make it a way of life, no matter what comes along, and if it doesn’t work one day, try another one.

Glad to hear you are on the mend Coda. Being ill is one way to drop the weight, but it’s so easy to pile it on again when you start to feel better.
    I stopped buying crisps, biscuits etc. won’t have them in the house. OH buys shortbread occasionally, but hides them so I don’t see them. What he doesn’t realize is that I wouldn’t eat them anymore anyway! I’ve actually lost interest in all that stuff. If I do fancy something sweet, I make my own now from healthy products. The ‘Deliciously Ella’ cookbook has some great recipes in, as does ‘Clean Cakes’. At least I know now that the ingredients are healthy and doing me good.

Here is a recipe from ‘Deliciously Ella’ cookbook for an easy dessert. All natural ingredients…..Serves 4

EASY AVOCADO CHOCOLATE MOUSSE
    2 ripe avocados
    400 g really ripe bananas (4)
    12 Medjool dates (pitted)
    4 tbsps. almond butter
    5 heaped teaspoons raw cacao powder
    drizzle of maple syrup (optional)
    Sprinkle of chia seeds (optional)

Slice avocado in half. Remove stone and peel.
    Put flesh in food processor
    Add all remaining ingredients except chia seeds.
    Blend to a smooth, delicious mixture.
    Divide into four ramekins or small glasses. Sprinkle over chia seeds if using.
    Keep in fridge till ready to eat.
    Enjoy!!!
    I accept this is high in fat, but it is good fat, the kind you need for energy. On a non fast day, this often fits the bill when I want something sweet. Enjoy…
    TTL

Another returnee here with my plan for 10 FDs in March. Catching up on all the posts has been motivating after a slide. In fact, I hadn’t planned a FD today, but looking in the fridge, there are a lot of good responsible options in there. So now’s the time!

I reacted to a hard trip with too much comfort food over the past several days. Mindfulness will be a good theme, a welcome discipline for this month. ST55

Welcome back Sweet Tooth 55. Great to have you here again. So the trip has gone and in the past, I’m sure you will be able to pick up the reins from where you left off. Stick to the basics, and it will happen. TTL

Thanks TTL. I can’t begin to tell you how helpful your words are! ST55

On my 4th FD for the month and feeling good. Have a wedding this weekend so mindfulness will be important!

Looks like everyone is travelling well this month and quickly getting back on track if issues occur. It’s a paradox that 5:2 is easy but also difficult! I must admit I find it easier when I get in the swing.

TTL I am excited for you being so close to goal. You will have to start a Little Voices Maintenance forum and one by one we will all join😉

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 92 total)

You must be logged in to reply.