Keep Fasting with JoJo(continued from Lose 2 lb per week)

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Keep Fasting with JoJo(continued from Lose 2 lb per week)

This topic contains 7,125 replies, has 64 voices, and was last updated by  Barata 9 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1,251 through 1,300 (of 7,277 total)

• 10345 steps in the bank…Decidedly crisp and cool this morning here in the SE of SA P and constant rain overnight and heading your way I too have the house opened right up so good refresh the place nothing better.Happy Sunday
    RT

10:15am here and the temp is on the rise … again! House closed up. The pool beckoning 😉 Bring on the rain tonight. P

Hello,
    Well, tomorrow is gonna be 30 here! No complains. I wish I could open our windows and doors. We do have a screened porch but still no good, hubby is terrified about anything crawling. We just caught a husband and wife rat 🐀 – Bonnie and Claide.
    I like fang shui principles. Open windows so good energy comes in and the bad is wiped out with the wind.
    Same weight here as last Friday.
    Enjoy you weekend 🙏🏻🙏🏻

Good point about feng shui, HBC. It does feel like that when the cooling evening breezes blow in. I open up skylights too, so the bad is pushed up and out 😊😊
    I keep the ceiling fan above the bed on all night to confuse the mosquitoes ☺

Weemam,
    Thankyou for your concern about my dog, they are a worry but he seems fine now. Both dogs are slimmer than when I left but no bones sticking out yet, I think they just missed me and my other half. We won’t take anymore trips together unless it’s a family occasion, one of us will be here for the dogs in future. My OH retires this July so organisation of dog care will be more sympathetic, easier and cheaper. He has never been the dog walker though so it will be a change for him. Maybe shift some of his excess pounds.

I am so thrilled for you and know you will really enjoy this precious trip together. You can promenade around the decks with your flowing chiffon and dinner jacket, how romantic? I am sure you will make lots of new friends.

When the children were young and we were strapped for cash we had 10 years without holidays and I thought we were deprived. I made the most of sunny day car trips. In my own childhood holidays were few and far between, you forget how life changes your fortunes. My mother was widowed very young so buying food and clothes was the priority with 5 kids. We didn’t care about travelling much, many of our neighbours were in the same position, low paid jobs and big families, but I am making up for it in retirement, I want to see the world.

I am sure you will achieve your new goal weight, you are our star loser after all. Jim deserves this trip after all his health worries. We will be thinking of you both. Safe travels. Don’t forget to wear your St Christopher medal, even if he has been sacked by the church, he is still part of our culture just like Santa and the Easter Bunny. Tee Hee.

Hi PVE and HBC,
    Someone said to me today that Mosquitos don’t like air conditioning, can that be true?
    I use the plug in devices and open windows during mossy season. Yes we do get them here too, lots of local ponds. I suppose a bed net is the answer to be really sure they don’t make a meal of you. My friend had his mother stay last summer-from Brazil, she was amazed at so few insects here, she loved it. I remember the persistent huge black flies in Melbourne and the Uluru in Australia last year, nightmare scenario, we just don’t cope well with them. Especially annoying at mealtimes. I did the tourist thing and bought a hat net, not keen on flies up my nose or in my ears.

I guess mossies aren’t in aircondtioned places because all the doors and windows are closed Jo. We have to let the breeze in, so light mossie coils near the main deck.
    Btw, you must still be on our time if you are up now it’s after 2am over your way 😑 Hope you get back to normal soon. P
    PS We rarely get flies these days…more a country thing. Not much manure etc sitting atound in the ‘big smoke’☺

Doh! That’s why.
    Blame the jet lag…Ha Ha just having a cuppa!
    Got 5 hours sleep and will probably nap again later, feeling good though.
    The cold is fierce though, my body not appreciating fasting when there is snow on the ground.

At least you seem to be getting a summer, poor old Wellington has had a bad summer this year, payback for the great one they had last year.

Yup, we’re suffering again today as payback for summer yesterday 🙁 And the warmer weather brought out the flies yesterday, but I am mopping them up with the vacuum cleaner today. No mossies here, one of the few advantages of the climate. We don’t seem to be getting any benefit from the Australian heat, our weather is being flung up from the Southern Ocean at the moment.

Where are you off to, Wee, that you will need passports? How wonderfully exciting for you. A cruise is something we haven’t done yet – plenty of time after retirement. OH’s two brothers will be passing each other on separate boats one day next month in Auckland – both older than us.

I have my second batch of water kefir on the brew. And this time, having read the recipe again, I will know to leave it unrefrigerated after straining, with fruit in, to ferment for a day. P, I could not find a plastic sieve, so am using a metal one. The grains will just have to lump it! The recipe that came with the grains doesn’t mention avoiding metal, anyway, so this may not be crucial.

And water kefir is quite a different animal ☺
    We’ll blow some heat across the ditch for you. P

Hi Barata,
    I am still on your time zone, but not too worried, haven’t got to rise early. I bought 2 huge lamb shanks. One will feed us both so another roast planned today. I am becoming a meat eater again it seems, well maybe Sundays only. It only cost £6.00 from a freezer shop. It will be interesting to compare the taste with you NZ lamb. I will cook it in the same way. We will even have Yorkshire pudding, not tradional with lamb but love them.
    Made a huge vat of tomato and veg soup yesterday. Bought 750 ml glass bottles of passata with lids for £1 each. These bottles will be recycled for Kefir if it turns out OK. I do have a plastic seive but no thermometer. My instructions for the milk version say boil, then leave hot for, 30 degrees for 30 mins( I just put a lid on the pan). Then cool to 24 degrees( put it in the fridge for 15 mins) and add grains. Bottom of milk did burn though, had to spoon out brown bits after whisking in grains. Would it be better to boil in the microwave? Then leave 16 hours to ferment. Does anyone else take the temperature, what happens if you get it wrong? Ferments too much, too little, kills bacteria? Fingers crossed I did OK. I may need to source better quality milk though. Hope I don’t poison myself!
    I have 10 capsules of live grains. One capsule makes 1 litre to 5 litres. I just made one litre as trial. I could post you a capsule and instructions if you want to try it Barata?
    Honestly what we do! My husband thinks I am mad.
    I bought him some pork pies today, he really missed them in NZ but he has now decided to cut them out Monday to Saturday as he is liking the weight loss. Never thought I would see the day? What next? Join a gym? Walk the dog? Endless possibilities!

No Jo. Unlike yoghurt, you don’t have to go to all that fuss. Simply add cold milk, straight from the fridge, to the grains each morning. Simple. That’s one of the HUGE benefits of kefir over toghurt. (as well as it having so many more varieties of bacteria)
    I’ve been making it for several years now. Very very easy. P

PVE,
    Then why all the complex heating instructions if it ferments with cold milk?

How long does it take that way? Sounds easier. Presume you still leave it at room temp after adding grains.

Jo, I put the instructions on fb the other day.
    About 24 hours at room temp. Faster in hot weather, maybe 36 hours in cold weather. But, as your houses are heated in winter, probably 24 hours. As it’s a living organism it responds differently to different conditions. ….like we all do 😉
    Cool change just hit! Outside enjoying a wine in a beautiful 26 deg!!! Yeah 😁😁😁 🍷🍷🍷

Thanks Purple,
    Yes I saw your instructions but assumed they were relevant to already fermented grains. I am at the starter stage with just a capsule of unfermented grains so I guess heat stage important.

Now for a nap before rising at 8 am.

Wine? Wait for me…

‘Starter stage’ is no different to every day! Each day you sieve out the grains and start a fresh batch with fridge milk. Exactly the same as from day one. No need to complicate. KISS philosophy applies! 😉

P, I suspect your method won’t work for Jo. I’ve just googled, and it sounds like Jo’s bought a kefir starter culture, not real kefir grains.

I see. Does that mean you nought kefir powder Jo? If so, it is one off stuff.
    Bushfires around NSW now….out of the fryingpan into the fire, literally. At least it is cool at last. P

The news says tonight will be the first one since January 20th to drop below 20 deg in Sydney! Woohoo! Sleep at last. P 😊😊

Morning/evening all.

Jo has bought the one off stuff. Jo if you like kefir once your capsules run out order some grains from happy kombucha (Amazon sell them, search for kefir grains)and you’ll be able to use the method Purple posted on fb. I’ve just strained mine after leaving it for 48 hours. It tastes mildy yoghurty and is only the consistency of milk which is to be expected (according to the happy kombucha video) for the first few batches so I’m going to check the second batch tomorrow but may leave it 48 hours again. It should be in full swing by next weekend 🙂

It is overcast but no snow in sight and although still very cold, milder than the last couple of days.

Have a good one everybody 😜

Amazon, if you use quite a bit less milk the first few times, it activates better. Should not take 48 hours, better to use less and feed and strain more often (24 hourly).
    The one off kefir doesn’t taste anything like the same. Ok for travel, but far better to get the real thing.
    Iff to bed early…to sleep, perchance to dream….

PVE
    Yes I think I have bought powder version in capsules. Oh well I will use this up and then get some of the other type. What a performance! Never mind, hopefully I will get it right next time.
    I was awake six hours last night but got back to sleep this morning, all well. Got lots of paperwork done and nice and warm in bed.
    1/2 down this morning so happy days.

Purple,

I am following to the letter the instructions that came from the company who provided the grains and have no doubt that all will be well. They have said that the grains take time to settle and that it might take 48 hours the first couple of times but it is not a cause for concern and it depends on environment (ie the conditions in my at present Arctic kitchen) and how long it takes the grains to settle.

Barrata
    The lamb shanks sure smell good, dogs are drooling

I will be trying my Kefir this evening, excited! Hope it’s good. Now I need to check how much I should drink in one go because they haven’t bothered to include this in the directions. Useful!

It’s still freezing here, dressed like the abdominal snowman today for my dog walk.
    Rosy red cheeks now. Feels like snow is a coming but weather report says we are headed for better weather.

Good morning,
    It is beautiful here today! I woke up late and didn’t sleep well. But I am ready and dressed for my walk. Just reading the posts and having my second mug of coffee ☕️
    Jo what a pity you didn’t get the kefir grains. They are no brainers to deal with. Honestly I’ve never seen those capsules you are talking about. I can smell your stew from here 😉
    Barata when I did my fermentation course the instructor told us that a metal sifter would not kill the grains … some people say the opposite.
    My only regret was not fiding real raw milk. I am sure it would taste better. You guys are talking to much about it …. I miss my creatures 😭
    My knee still hurts. I’ve been using a gel cream and hoping that pain goes away. It isn’t red or swollen. Well, well 💪🏻
    The lastest in Brazil is the yellow fever mosquitoes where last year was Zika. Never ends 😱
    Enjoy you Sunday and best of luck for the Monday Fasters down under 💋

Jo,

Kefir is a fermented milk drink that just happens to have the effect of increasing the diversity and health of gut bacteria. As such there won’t be a limit on how much or little you should consume but a small glassful might be a good way to start.

155 calories in 250 ml of whole milk.

I’m having my weekly G&T 🍸

Jo I second Amazon! Start with small amounts. If you have too much for the first time you’ll ending up with diarrhea 👀

Thanks guys, you are all gems.

The lamb was really good, managed less than half the shank though, they were huge. Rest has gone in the tomato and veg soup I made yesterday.

The website was useless ref quantity to drink so I have just had a small glass, tasted just fine.

Assume it keeps a few days in the fridge like ordinary milk? Could you re-heat it into a milky drink? More and more questions to answer, it never ends. Sorry guys!

Amazon- thanks for the calorie value but since I have been on 23/1 I find I don’t need to count calories any more, it’s bliss. I have also decided not to weigh myself for the whole of March. Time to ween myself off obsession to live a more normal life with healthy eating habits. Of course it may all go pear shaped but it’s worth a try. Trusting myself as I have been going in the right direction for 4 months now. You can all sigh with relief that this needy person is on the right track.

Jo, go onto the happykombucha.co.uk website and read all about kefir.

It can be used instead of buttermilk in baking so no reason why it can’t be heated.

I’ll only be sighing with relief when I have evidence that I’m on the right track.

Amazon,
    You must have read my mind, just checked out the website and ordered both water and milk live grains for delivery 5-7 days.

You will get it sorted, you are nearer goal than me, the nearer you get the harder it gets. Good Luck with your Kefir, mine was very nice.

I must say that there are some impressive results at SW too. If only they were giving good advice. Yesterday they were actually discouraging people from exercising because it was a waste of time to weight loss. At that point I stood up and said that I agreed that it has minimal weight loss impact but physically it is very beneficial to heart, lungs, muscle tone and general well being. Another lady was telling of her addiction to jelly sweets, they recommended that she make her own using sugar replacement jelly. It’s such a shame there isn’t a faster’s group with sensible advice. I will stop going at the end of February to comply with my no weigh plan. It’s another crutch I am chucking out. Scary!

Impressive losses at SW mean nothing if they are still shovelling sugar as they’ll find it almost impossible to keep the weight off, and discouraging people from taking exercise is dreadful as it is something everyone should be doing. They should be encoraging people to take responsibility for their health and wellbeing which includes their fitness level.

Jo,

The Happy Kombucha website currently states 3-4 weeks for delivery of milk kefir grains, so don’t hold your breath….

And re: warming up/cooking with kefir. The heat will kill the bacteria and you will lose the benefit. Obviously if you have excess that you can’t drink ‘live’ it’s a better use than binning it, but don’t cook with it instead of drinking it unheated.

And I love that you are wrapped up like the abdominal snowman 😀

Oh, and re: serving size. The bottled stuff I’ve bought states that a serving is 200ml.

I thought that heat would kill the bacteria but saw so many recipes using kefir that I decided I must be mistaken!
    Maybe they are a by-product of over-production.

Even if I make a small amount each day there will be too much for me to drink so I’ll be trying out a few recipes.

I can hardly believe we are almost halfway through February already, Christmas seems like five minute ago 😱

Happy,
    Actually I am happy to drink it cold but I thought I might make a latte for my husband, he wasn’t keen on the slightly off milk taste. If it kills the bacteria, no point. I did think it Boiling might not be good but warming it up slowly Ok which is why I asked the question. My leaflet has very little information at all past the preparation. I have been watching some utube presentations, quite useful.

My grains appear to be coming from BigBarn, not sure how that happened, possibly a distributor for happykombucha. They just confirmed 7 days delivery. I ordered water grains too.

I haven’t found anywhere local that sells good (raw)milk though, I will keep looking. Nearest I found was Hailsham at £2.20 per pint, not sure about delivery. Not keen on using a source so far away. Do supermarkets or health food shops stock it? Looks like the money we save on fasting will be used on improving gut bacteria. Still keen to experiment though. Anything that helps improve health and more importantly immunity to disease.

I tell you I am not really firing on all cylinders yet, hence spelling and organising errors even worse than usual which isn’t saying much. Jetlag is just like childbirth, brain is fried. Forgive me.

Charlie (dog) is back to his normal self, he keeps dumping his tennis ball in my lap and standing there, tail wagging, he knows I will weaken eventually. He was so excited to get meat today, a rare treat in this house. Even their dog food is fish flavoured normally and his treats are carrots. Poor little carnivore!

Jo, organic whole milk will do the job.

You can make smoothies with kefir and some fresh berries with a dash of honey should make it acceptable to someone who doesn’t care for the flavour.

Amazon,

Yes I used that milk for the current batch but just trying to aim for the best.

I have just realised that since I returned on Friday morning I have not switched on the TV. I got so used to managing without it most of the time in NZ, the adverts are the worst in the world in terms of length and repetition. It’s torture. A film lasts over 2 hours because it is interrupted so often. You loose the thread because the adverts are so long. But I now think it has done me a favour because TV and the desire for snacking are linked in my brain so ‘no TV, no snacking’. Admittedly I have slept a lot during the day since my return but I have just lost total interest in watching the box.

So another early night and a good book. If (when) I wake up tonight I am going to prepare a list of jobs to do around the house. That should take a couple of hours, everywhere I look I see a job to be done. Depressing or what? But it will keep me busy and away from food.

This 23/1 has been a lifesaver for me, finally have control and peace, happy days!

I personally don’t watch commercial tv Jo, but the huge benefit is that you can jump up, every ad break, and do something, eg load the dishwaher, wash up, feed the cat. Keeps you active ☺☺

Hello Fasters
    Seem to have missed you, Jojo. Did we cross over the ocean? We arrived in NZ late Friday and crashed for 12 hours.

We have your weather again, Purple. It’s ‘orrible in Wellington, though lifting a bit.My brother explained that the NW wind takes your heat, loads it with water and dumps it onto Wellington.
    It’s a Monday fast and I am happy to not eat. The long flight from the UK made fasting difficult, so on Saturday and now today I began again to fast.

I will be a more reliable contributer again. After travelling in Chile and Argentina, a month in France with almost no wifi, it’s great to be back on board.
    I will read the pages I’ve missed and be back.

What about Friday, Barata? Do you have any time?

Talk soon
    Wiwi

Welcome home Wi ☺
    I’m with you on Monday fast. Enjoy our shared weather 😁😁P

Wiwi,
    Yes sadly we crossed somewhere over the oceans, we left Thursday morning, got home early Friday. Yes Wellington has had a bad summer, perhaps it will get better for you.

Your travels sound exciting, I have never been to Argentina or Chile. I promise I will make the trip to France when you are back there.

Have a great time in your second home. The Botanical Gardens are looking fabulous at the moment.

How has your fasting been going? In control?

Wiwi I am glad to know we’ve made it to a warner climate and wifi connection.
    Relax now 🙏🏻

Found a source of raw milk (Farm Shop)not too far from my bowls club so I will swing by there tomorrow.

Apparently the Health Department are considering changing the law to sell unpasteurised milk in shops, currently only available from Farmers Markets and Farms direct. we shall see if this current Kefir trend causes the change. You can get it delivered for the freezer but that seems to negate the freshness and carbon footprint issues, not to mention huge delivery cost.

Now to work on my ‘to do list’

Goodnight or morning all.

Greetings, Wi, and welcome to “summer” 🙁 It would be great to catch up, not sure if I am working on Friday but I have the feeling that by the end of the week I will be desperately in need of some r&r. What were you thinking?

Morning All,
    1/2 lb up today but heading into 3 days of 300 calories as I have a massively busy period coming up Thursday to Sunday, of course it all meals out. Still in the Feb Challenge and it’s still going well, 4 lbs lbs this month.

Good Luck Monday faster s especially those in colder climes.

My powder Kefir can be used for several batches, posted instructions on a Facebook, I really liked it. Found a source for raw milk, just hoping they have fresh farms eggs and cheese too. Could be an expensive shopping trip today.

Wiwi and Barata – have fun without me.everytime I type your names spell check changes them to wifi and double r in Barrata. So annoying! Forgive me is I miss correction occasionally.

Morning/evening all,

We have sunshine although it is still cold.
    I had a restless night which resulted in eventually falling asleep around 6am so I’ve only been up 15 minutes!

The forecast says sunshine all day so I’m going for a walk later. I’m thinking of walking along the towpath to Richmond and back through Kew Gardens. That’ll wake me up 🙂

Hi Wiwi, we’ve missed you.

FD today and I’ve started it with a 100ml of kefir. It’s not very thick but tastes fine and the grains have really plumped up so things moving in the right direction 😎

Have a good one everybody 😜

Hi All,
    Amazon- Like you I had yet another disturbed night and would have loved a lay in today but I was booked into play bowls at 8.45 am. Need the practise as I have matches booked next week. Don’t want to let the side down. Really enjoyed my dance class afterwards, really missed going for the last month. We have sunshine too so I am headed out to do an hour dog walk, actually maybe less, one of my dogs is not coping well with longer walks. May need to rethink and plan two short ones in future.

I started my day with Kefir, I really like it. I have just started a new batch using milk from the last batch, we will see how that goes. Just soup for dinner tonight but it smells really good, leftover lamb, tomato and veg with a little(read lot) of 🌶.

Think I might leave the Kefir till later next time, feeling hungry today. I haven’t been getting hungry lately, got used to routine of 23/1, strange!

Hi everyone,

I went out for a walk this morning and it was great to feel the heat of the sun 😎
    It is a nice walk along the towpath unless there has been a lot of rain as it can become very slippery. There were hundreds of birds on the river making a tremendous amount of noise. Seagulls and crows were making the noise and the ducks and swans just doing their thing!

When I got to Richmond I walked up one of the narrow roads that leads to the high street and the tiny Curzon cinema caught my eye. I looked to see what was showing and 30 minutes later was sitting drinking coffee and watching 20th Century Women which was very enjoyable.
    I had time to kill between deciding to see the film and the cinema opening so I walked up to the high street and went into the first shop. Big mistake as I’m trying to make it frugal February but I’m now the proud owner of a beautiful powder blue cotton sweater 🙂

I didn’t have time to go to Kew Gardens as it closes at 4.30pm in the winter but I’m going to the orchid festival on Wednesday so can have a walk round afterwards.

It has been an easy FD as I’ve been so occupied that I’ve not had time to think about food apart from when my stomach decided to gurgle very loudly at what was probably the quietest moment of the film 😆

Jo, as your body clock isn’t back to UK time yet and you were awake half of the night it thought that it was dinner time 😉

Amazon,
    You are right about that. I keep trying to stay up until UK bedtime but too cold, tired to do that. I had to cancel Bridge tonight as I don’t feel up to driving there or using the little grey cells(which are also fast asleep)

Fast successful, let’s hop my sleep tonight is too.

Sounds like you had a nice afternoon out Amazon. Love powder blue colour. I am not buying clothes at the moment because they won’t it in 6 months, plus my wardrobe has no space. Time to clear it out.

Night everyone 💤💤💤💤💤

Viewing 50 posts - 1,251 through 1,300 (of 7,277 total)

You must be logged in to reply.