Keep Fasting with JoJo(continued from Lose 2 lb per week)

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Keep Fasting with JoJo(continued from Lose 2 lb per week)

This topic contains 7,125 replies, has 64 voices, and was last updated by  Barata 9 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 5,701 through 5,750 (of 7,277 total)

• Greetings, ladies, from not-so-sunny Paihia. We are expecting a severe southerly blast overnight and tomorrow, with snow down to low levels in the usual places, so probably no beach walk then. We are getting out daily, Amazon. Although yesterday there was a cruise ship in the Bay, and we could hardly walk for the tourists! I have made a list of the ship lines’ itineraries and these will be good dates to get out of town / discourage visitors πŸ™‚ Your trip sounds so exciting, we will want a full report when you return. And looking forward to a great rugby match next weekend.

Interesting you mention the covert eating, Wi. Looking at my dietary habits now, the sneaking eating in the evening is a thing of the past!! And with the move, semi-retirement and reduction in stress, my sleeping is improving, and I have the opportunity to plan my meals. Being barbeque season helps, just meat and salad in the evenings, a couple of eggs or my home-made muesli for brunch.

Very pleased to hear your sleep issues have improved since the move B. I’m finding a diet of mostly wine and lots of swimming is working well for me in the tropics πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰

Barata,

I’m very pleased to hear the move has had a positive impact on your sleeping issues.
    As for meal planning I’m sure you know the saying fail to plan is a plan to fail.

Purple,

You should release a book,

the easy to follow Tropics Liquid Diet πŸ˜‰

Enjoy πŸ˜†

Have a good one everybody 😜

Good idea for funding further trips (and drinking sessions) 😊😊

Afternoon all,

A dull, chilly day here in London. Winter is on the way.

Three FDs completed so far this week and the trousers are feeling looser than a few weeks ago, so I’m pleased to be slowly making progress. Two more weeks until my holiday and I’m determined to keep working at it until I step off the plane at my destination and then I’ll relax a little until it’s time to come home.

I’ve been enjoying the wide variety of vegetables and fruit produced in the UK that is available at this time of year, and I’m trying to make the most of them. Swede, parsnip, squash, cabbage of many kinds, cauliflower, mushrooms, apples, pears.
    I’m going to try roasted cauliflower rice at the weekend to go with teriyaki salmon which I would usually have with steamed rice, but I don’t have any rice and there is half a cauliflower sitting in the fridge needing to be used.

I bought some quinces today and I intend to slice and freeze some and use the remainder to go with a pork chop, although I have found a recipe for pickled quince which looks rather good…..

Have a good weekend everyone 😜

I thought I’d lost my post as it disappeared so I patiently re-wrote it only to discover it has posted πŸ˜†πŸ˜

Amazon,

It’s great to hear that your efforts are paying off. I have only had one good fast day this week, which wouldn’t normally be sufficient to see a shift on the scales. However, OH has been away and I’ve been feeding myself healthy vegetarian and I am finishing the week lighter than when I started… Hoorah.

I’m just lying in bed, having woken up at my usual time of 6.30. No point getting up though as it isn’t light til maybe 7.30. And depressingly, next week it will be dark by 5ish. This autumn has been dull and damp, and now it’s winter. Where has the year gone?!

Mind you, I won’t be sorry to see the back of this year. It’s been hard personally and professionally. Fingers crossed 2020 will be better, even though Brexit will still be rumbling on….!

Nothing planned for the weekend I’m afraid, except watching the rugby (obviously!), pickling jalapenos, and getting some fresh air and exercise.

Hi Happy,

I woke early this morning too.

It’s been mostly wet and miserable here for the past 2 or 3 weeks with the occasional nice day which has been depressing. I don’t mind cold weather it’s the rain that gets me down as I do not enjoy walking in it.
    Fortunately the forecast looks much better from tomorrow.

I’m not surprised you’ll be glad to see the back of this year and I really hope 2020 is better for you.

As for Brexit, I don’t think I’ll go there as it’s not good for my blood pressure.

Not sure I can cope with rugby this morning as I feel my team have less chance of a win than yours and there is a tennis SF on at the same time I would like to watch.

It’s been really difficult to get back to a place where the weight is going in the right direction, and there is the occasional FD that is plain sailing, but I’m still struggling and the only thing keeping me going at present is the holiday clothes.
    I’m sure I’ll be in fine form after 2 weeks away and hopefully able to continue and finally reach my goal.

Have a good weekend everyone 😜

Well I’m always torn at times like these! The old rivalry and all that…but on balance I’m rooting for the underdog today!

Who are ………?

Yesssssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!

I can hardly believe what I’ve just witnessed but I’m very pleased.

Wiwi,

Going into the match, that would definitely have been England….

Sorry to hear you are still struggling, Happy. We have been suffering a consistent 28-29 every day. Drove to the only pub to watch the All Blacks V that Aussie coached England team. I feel for the Kiwis..it was a very disappointing game. We were surrounded by backpackers from all over the world but grouped together with 2 Kiwis and another Aussie. 😏

It wasn’t quite the result we expected, but it can only be good for world rugby. There’s no benefit to the game if the same team keeps on winning. Well done, England! Although… πŸ™

I still seem to be catching up on my sleep – nearly twelve hours last night! and multiple nights of not lying awake for hours πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ Glorious weather, a long weekend, fabulous life. The weight can wait.

A quick singout to you all. I hope your silence means fasting and diet control is going well.
    I’m maintaining on 16:8 now, and finding it easy after 6.5 years of 5:2.
    Enjoy the build up to Christmas /New Year and don’t undermine your earlier efforts. πŸ˜πŸ˜ŠπŸ˜ŠπŸ˜‰ P

Ha ha, P, I think the silence probably says more about Amazon’s absence than successful fasting! She’s been the glue that’s held this thread together for a long time now.

I am NOT at all ready for Christmas. I just don’t have time to do it justice while working full time. I may have to cancel it to avoid stressing myself out with the thought of presents I haven’t bought, cards I haven’t written and preparation I haven’t made!! My domestic situation doesn’t help on that front either of course, still sharing a house for practical/ financial reasons, but it’s hard to get excited about xmas with someone you don’t want to spend the rest of your life with… generally though I’m feeling quite positive – 2020 can only be better (or perhaps just different… πŸ˜‚)

It WILL be, Happy x

Seconding that, Happy πŸ™‚

Must get on to the Christmas cards – always later than I intended, and with a change of address this year…

Have a great weekend, all.

Happy,

You’re absolutely correct. I didn’t start this thread but I’ve done my best to keep it going. The fact is it’s no fun talking to oneself, I can do that without the aid of the internet.

Sorry to hear you are so stressed and busy. Maybe you should make an effort to send out cards, apologise to the usual gift recipients who I’m sure know you well enough to understand your current situation, and make a plan to ensure you get a couple of days where you concentrate on looking after yourself.
    As for the domestic situation, tell yourself it’s the last time you’ll share Christmas and make the most of it.

I love Christmas but most of my friends don’t so I usually spend the day at home alone which isn’t ideal but I always make an effort to have a good meal and enjoy my day. It’s not always about who you’re with.

Barata,

Good to read your new house news, next year will be very exciting for you.

Purple,

Hoping you get some rain soon.
    Glad to hear your new regime is working.
    I came home from wonderful, fabulous Nepal with a very small weight gain of 2lbs which considering how much was eaten and drunk is a testament to how active the trip was and how tough the walks. I also brought home the group cold which has made me ravenous the whole time and although much improved is still hanging on after almost 2 weeks.
    Fasting recommences on Monday

Nice to catch up with you all and a shout out to Wiwi 😁

Your trip sounded fantastic, Amazon. Pity we can’t travel all the time, I also find I don’t collect extra kgs, when travelling, as I’m on the go all the time. Much harder at home.
    Re Christmas Day and the expectation for everyone to be jolly…it’s so annoying. NYE is another one. I always feel SO flat if we just go to bed at the usual time. It is pretty illogical that we HAVE to be partying at the same time as others.
    I guess it was more relevant when they were among rare days off from work.
    These days, our large family spreads out when they catch up “for Christmas” …some time between November and February. 😏
    This thread has been an important conduit for ideas about, not only eating and supporting fasting, but to share our lives across the globe. I have thoroughly enjoyed it. No need for anyone to feel any compulsion to post, but its great to hear from any of you when you happen “to be passing”.
    Enjoy any little moments that come your way folk. Cheers, P 😊

Amazon,

I’ve spent Christmas Day by myself in the past. OH was stuck abroad. Lots of people felt sorry for me and invited me round, but I opted for a sofa day, eating what I wanted and watching what I wanted. Very relaxing and not at all stressful!

Given that I’m not at all religious I should perhaps cancel it every year anyway πŸ˜‚

Wi mentioned on another thread that she’s having problems accessing this one, so if someone in authority can help her…?

All ok for access, Barata.
    Just off to bed. Will communicate tomorrow.
    XxWiwi

Good news. I’m back from my second sailing lesson, it would be good to have the wind a little lighter, but I am starting to get the hang of it.

There’s horrible weather around much of the country at the moment, with roads washed out and southern lakes rising. In Wellington some of the trains have been affected this morning, and the Christmas parade in our old village was cancelled yesterday.

Where would you end up if you just kept sailing ? 😏😏😏

If all the islands are missed, possibly Canada or Alaska! We were just doing reaches, though, back and forwards across the bay. πŸ™‚

Make sure you master going about!!!

I was on the tiller at the end, for the tacks! Most of them worked πŸ™‚

Ha ha, we don’t need to send out search and rescue just yet then Barata!

Wet and windy again here today, but nothing compared to the extreme weather you are experiencing in Australia and New Zealand at the moment.

It does mean it will be a mostly indoor day today though. So, decorations and cards. Some online xmas shopping. Some batch cooking for the freezer.

I made some mincemeat yesterday. I don’t eat a lot of mince pies at this time of year, but I do like…ahem..one or two. Having failed to find ready made mincemeat or mince pies without palm oil (and who in their right mind would be happy that orangutans are slaughtered or starve to death in the interests of mince pies πŸ˜₯), I realised I was just being lazy – dried fruit, spices, apple, lemon, sugar and alcohol – hey presto, mincemeat!

Thank you for considering the orangutans, Happy. I find I spend forever shopping, reading labels and brands to eliminate the unethical, eco-unfriendly, etc etc. It’s hard being green (to quote Kermit). The simplest thing is to start from scratch, but then, were the raw materials grown ethically, were sprays, GM used, were employees paid and treated properly, were there many food miles involved, how reasonable was the water usage, the land clearing, were sustainable farming practices used? It’s a minefield. At least we can try. 😏 P

Indeed, P. Unfortunately most people are more interested in cheap food than ethically produced and environmentally sustainable food. I aim for high welfare standards and fair trade, but it’s not always possible. Else I’d be living in a cave, wearing clothes woven from my own hair, eating turnips and swedes…!

We have a son like that! Not an easy choice πŸ˜•

We have to do the best we can and accept that ocasionally compromise is unavoidable. For example, losing orangutans is terrible but how does it compare to children starving to death because their parents can’t find work. In other words an incredibly difficult choice.

I’ve been out for Sunday lunch in my local pub. I’ve had dinner there on several occasion but never lunch.
    The verdict is, why have I not done so before?πŸ˜πŸ‘

Happy,

Every mince pie I eat is compared to that made with my homemade mincemeat which wins every time.
    I have to say it is neither difficult nor time consuming to make mincemeat, as the most arduous task is finding and buying the ingredients.
    I already have a sizeable number of raw mince pies stashed in the freezer.

Well I’ve posted my Christmas cards, so that’s something!

And I’m randomly eating pigs in blankets (the sausage and pancetta needed cooking!), and that’s as close to festive cheer as I’ve got so far πŸ˜€

Fasting went reasonably well this week, in as much that I’m not gaining…!

Mmm…pigs in blankets. Called kilted pigs in Scotland. 😊

I didn’t know that! And you might be making it up…but it makes sense!

No! It’s true! We ate them as part of our Christmas Eve dinner when we spent winter over there.
    I must make some for us. 😊😊

I’d forgotten you’d been in Scotland at Christmas! Sorry for suggesting you might be having me on πŸ˜‚

Well it snowed here overnight and now it’s a winter wonderland. The sun is shining though, finally, after what seems like weeks of overcast skies and rain.

I’m just making a spiced up lentil soup, then I must do some sorting out and tidying, but looking forward to a cold bright walk later.

Perhaps I am just starting to feel a teensy bit benevolent towards Christmas… just 5 days work now until after New Year πŸ˜€

I have everything wrapped and the meat ordered. I planted new greens which will be ready for Christmas salads. I have yet to make a fancy, inventive gingerbread cheesecake for the pudding. Lots of last minute work raking and collecting the leaves that inevitably fall at this time of year.
    Unlike you, Happy, our walks have been limited due to heavy bushfire smoke. We managed a nice long one this afternoon, as well as a swim, followed by a bbq of pork snags and a range of veg. So nice to be able to get outside after so many days/weeks of smoke. Sadly fires have roared up again this afternoon in the Blue Mountains, with more houses lost and very hot weather later in the week. We desperately need rain. P

You will have enjoyed a brief respite from the smoke. It’s absolutely awful to read about the scale of the fires and the devastation, and I’m half a world away.

A few years back I remember reading about the likely effects of climate change and the resulting refugees, but at that time people were talking about less developed nations being hardest hit. Politicians need to wake up and realise action, and mitigation, is long overdue.

I’ve taken out a second mortgage to pay for a turkey that had a happy free range life locally…I’m sort of tempted to contact them and say don’t kill her, we’ll take her alive! Not sure what the chooks would make of a Goliath turning up though!

We had friends, years ago, who bought a piglet to fatten for Christmas. She lived an incredibly long, happy life, growing into the largest pig I’ve ever seen. She loved to “natter” to visitors, lean on people, and generally act like a puppy. Most of their fences ended up flattened, as she really did love to lean on them, then quietly totter off to visit someone!
    You might have to eat tofu, Happy. 😏

Hello Friends
    I have never heard of pigs in blankets- sounds rather nice and more so on this fast Monday.
    Your smoke seems to have been rained out of our skies, Purple. I really feel for you all over the ditch with your fires. So many people are caught up in the catastrophe. There is more and more likelihood of fires here too, but not on your scale. We get earthquakes and volcanic eruptions and rain instead. It rained 1000m in a weekend in the south last week with consequences for the roads.
    That must be a very special turkey, Happy. I have no idea how to cook turkey so we never have it.
    I am doing taxes, but having problems concentrating.
    Hello to Barata and Amazon out there.
    xx Wiwi

Sorry about talking about food on a Monday, Wi…I don’t do 5:2 any more, just 16:8, so Monday and Thursday are just another day πŸ˜‰
    Crazy weather on both sides of the ditch. At least I’m building up arm muscles…bucket watering only, in the early morning and evening. πŸ™„ We REALLY need your rain!
    P

Hi everyone,

I am not fasting at the moment as compliance appears to have left the building. I get up every morning with good intentions but it’s not happening although I’ve not gained anything so I could say I’m trying out maintenance πŸ˜‰

Tonight is Christmas at Kew something I always enjoy and am going with a friend who loves Christmas as much as I do. There is rain forecast but not until our walk is finished and we are tucked up inside the restaurant eating dinner which I’m looking forward to as it was so good last year.

I then have 3 days with no social events so will attempt (yet again) to complete a couple of FDs.

I guess I should stop binge watching so many Christmas cookery shows πŸ˜†

Amazon,

Noooo! One of the guilty pleasures of December is drooling over luscious Christmas fare on telly! I’m sure that can’t be derailing fasting for you! Great news that you’re maintaining anyway.

I was down in the Twickenham area a few weeks ago (while you were away). Sadly by the time my meetings were over it was dark, and then I had to leave quite early the next day. Its probably the closest to Kew I’ve ever been…so near and yet so far! Enjoy your evening.

And there’s more rain to come! https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/118247739/live-wet-and-wild-weather-expected-to-soak-the-country. We woke up to a downpour this morning. I do wish we could send it west, P. The tv showed a map of fires in Australia yesterday – the whole country is burning! πŸ™

After a relaxed weekend my weight is the highest it’s been since I started loosing years ago. And with Christmas and our Australian trip to come there will be plenty of tasty temptations to face, so this week is one of strict eating control.

When we lived in the US, one of the local supermarkets gave away turkeys at Thanksgiving if you spent over a certain amount, so they featured on our menus – there would have been more if we had the freezer space!

After two challenging sailing lessons, we were almost becalmed on Sunday, started to drift backwards and had to accept a tow for a while!

Will we see you up this way on this trip, Wi?

Stay safe everyone – cool in the SH and warm in the NH!

Over 40 predicted here this week B!
    There’s never anything on tv at this time of year, except constant reruns of BBC shows! With daylight savings, and pressure to madly socialise, we have very little inside time at night here anyway.
    My Christmas treat was attending the Sydney Childrens’ Choir concert in the city last night. Their voices were definitely those of angels. Very uplifting. P

My Christmas treat will to be with daughter and grandson on the Gold Coast πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

Morning/evening all,

Happy,

If you ever get back to London and have the time to go to Kew, I’d be delighted to be your guide.

Christmas at Kew was fabulous. This year they chose a different route for the trail and it was very different. The treetop walkway which is 18 metres high had a cascade of lights that went right down to the ground which flashed with patterns and changing colours along with more lights on the ground. It was very impressive. There were also lots of other fabulous new features including a laser light show at the Temperate house and many other smaller features along the route.
    They always make a feature of some of the magnificent mature deciduous trees by using ground based beams of light of varying colours so the trunks and bare branches are lit up. Some have constant light of one or two colours and some change. They also lit up an avenue of small trees with pink flower shaped lights to look like cherry blossom which was stunning.
    There was a play area for children which included the usual old fashioned merry-go-round and a helter skelter plus some swings and space for them to run around.

There were kiosks at various points on the route selling drinks,mince pies, snacks and some selling more substantial items such as pies, pizzas etc.
    We steered clear of the food as we were booked for dinner, andI have to say I’m surprised I feel so well this morning after drinking rather too much of the mulled wine with rum πŸ˜†

The Christmas dinner was excellent. We were given more mulled wine (without rum) followed by a tiny glass of hot pumpkin soup sprinkled with blue cheese to start. We both opted for a turkey dinner and Christmas pud both of which were every bit as good as last year.
    We were served by two delightful, friendly and helpful waiters which made the experience even better.

The only problem we had is we took so long gossiping over dinner the shop was closed by the time we came out so I need to make another visit to buy my calendar.

The weather has been rather wet here and we were very fortunate as it stayed dry until we were going into the restaurant.

I’m still feeling full from dinner and am hopeful I can get through a FD. Dinner today will be Shakshouka, as I made a big batch of the stew a couple of weeks ago and froze some. All it needs is an egg.

Have a good one everybody πŸ˜œπŸŽ„

Your Kew Christmas evening sounded great, Amazon. We both enjoyed the Christmas decorations at Kew when we were there a few years ago. I do miss having mulled wine and mince pies all over the UK that winter. 🍷πŸ₯§ We tend to have bubbly and cold nibbles by the pool here. 🍾πŸ₯–πŸ§€πŸŽ„πŸŽ„
    I’m sticking to 16:8, I’m determined to thoroughly enjoy Christmas fare this year. Life’s too short to worry. 😏P

Viewing 50 posts - 5,701 through 5,750 (of 7,277 total)

You must be logged in to reply.