June 2020 monthly challenge

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
June 2020 monthly challenge

This topic contains 694 replies, has 47 voices, and was last updated by  stitchincarol 3 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 401 through 450 (of 696 total)

• Day 16 – Switzerland – FD 800

Just dropping in to put myself on the pocketlist 🙂

Pocket list Day 16
    @daffodil2010
    @jaifaim
    @beck100 FD800

Take care everybody!

The corrected list for today.

Pocket list Day 16
    @daffodil2010
    @jaifaim
    @songbirdme
    @betsylee
    @beck100 FD800

Hope it’s not too late to join. If so I’ll wait until July.

A short bio in the hope I’m in.

Female. 82. Height 5.5 (was but maybe 5.4 now). Weight this am 11.7. UK..
    Never been very overweight but last year contracted PMR and had to go on prednisolone. Result weight gain of a stone ie 14lbs. Am in lockdown due to age and virus but normally lead a fairly active and social life.
    Tried 9 days on 800 calories, lost 3 lbs, relaxed slightly at weekend, still under TDEE and weight back on. For me this is not sustainable as permanently on diet which I don’t want and it is not a WOL for me.
    Body just won’t give up the fat which is all around waist, stomach and hips.
    Now planning to try 2 days at 600 a week.
    Any help, tips, coping with steroids etc welcome. Am on a VERY VERY slow reducing dose.

Annabell

Day 16 – Rural Nebraska, USA – OMAD

Welcome, @annabelle48! It’s never too late to join us, and we’re so glad to have you here. You know, the beauty of 5:2 is that it really does work, although it’s slow if you eat your TDEE on the days you don’t fast. For many of this, “dieting” two days a week and behaving ourselves on the other days is a small price to pay for a decent weight. Hang in there, and you will see results!

My FD went well yesterday, ending between 480 and 550–precise calories are not always easy to count. I came across a terrific salad a week ago, and made it again on Sunday. Here’s the link: https://www.cookingclassy.com/broccoli-apple-salad/ The walnuts are a lovely touch, but to save calories, I left them out this time. My calculation is that this comes out to about 150 per cup. It’s tasty, it’s got lots of texture and chew, and I had it last night on my FD, and found it wonderfully satisfying.

Read a quote the other day, and it’s been resonating with me: You can find inspiration from others, but determination is solely your responsibility. So I’ve been working on what determination looks like in my life with this WOL, and have decided it means OMAD today and again on Saturday so that I’m on track for my weight loss goal for June.

@penz, yeah, my self-talk tends to be rather stern, and not always filled with much grace or kindness. But the thing that is really the most effective is reminding myself that hunger is actually a good thing, and not something that needs IMMEDIATE TREATMENT WITH FOOD. Isn’t that our usual reaction to the feeling of hunger, that all-caps response? And, yup, “You can have this tomorrow” is another good one.

@penz, great question, and it made me think. My first response was “weight.” The more I thought about it as I was reading the reaction of others is that inches matter more, but the weight is how I know inches are also going. In other words, I can lose 5lbs and not necessarily see much difference in my clothes. So, the war is to lose the inches, and I’ll achieve that by winning the battles of losing the weight.

Have a great day, everyone, with a laser focus (and determination!) on your goals!

FD day 16 Ire

Hi , FD today. Am glad to start . I only did one last week and was beginning to worry that I would lose the momentum. Have been very busy with training for my new job and lots of other stuff. A bit stressed so did over eat last week so will be extra good this week.
    Daffodil2010 congrats on the job. I know it’s such a relief and also know how awful it is to be bullied in work. I brought a previous employer to the labour court so can empathise. Onward and upward 😁 You are on a roll.
    Cheers to new beginnings and better health.
    Stay safe x

Second Post

Welcome @annabelle48 it’s great to have you here! Sounds like you are doing really well so far!
    In terms of dealing with steroid weight it’s difficult and different for each person…but I’ll give you my tips from some years ago when I was on 40mg of prednisolone for a long period of time .. the only sure effect I had was moon face and significant weight gain 😢. So my advice is to drink lots of water, try to eat low carb and high fibre with lots of fruit and vegetables… try to cut added sugars and alcohol although this is easier said than done… 👍👍

@matpi I meant to say earlier that I’m very sad to see you go but hope you will check back in from time to time… I have always enjoyed your posts and wish you the best!

LFD continues… 💦 👍

Day 16, UK, NFD

Welcome @annabelle48 !

A bit disappointed weighing in this morning and finding myself 1kg heavier than last week – tbh wasn’t my best week, had 1 successful FD and my second FD ended up near the 1000cal mark. Did overeat the rest of the days and not been sleeping well nor been posting daily… lesson learnt! Will do better this week!

Staying healthy and making good food choices so far, but will also have a naughty treat with OH tonight as he is off.

Stay strong everyone! X

Day 16 UK NFD

Like a few others I seen to be stuck in a loop losing and regaining the same few pounds so I’m being extra diligent recording everything this week Hoping a few tweaks might help

Sorry to see you go @matpi but sometimes a break can work wonders

Day 17, NFD, Aus

Hi @Aussiejilll – no worries (as we say!) I’m sure someone else will step in to host July. Just do it when you’re ready.

Good luck with the experiment @Daffodlil2010. I read your fishy day as a FD!

I’m one of those who would prefer to lose inches. In one way, I really don’t care what the scales say: I could be 200kg of lean, slim looking lead for all I care! But of course @betsylee, why can’t we have both!!

@funshipfreddie. A school of dragons! Makes sense. I bet I know what they all learn at school… (And I’d forgotten the previous forum discussion re weyrs.)

Ha ha @Ihatelettuce. Your lament reminds me of what my father says. The worst thing about retirement is you never get a day off!

Well done @EmmaTaylor!! Back on today’s DD list:
    @penz
    @EmmaTaylor

And well done to you too @flourbaby. Great maths there: 7LFDs = 7lbs!

@champinator: you might be our first Brazilian in this group. (Hope you and yours are staying safe – the COVIF figures in your country are scary.) Glad you found your FD easy – and they get easier! You’re right about learning to be tolerant about hunger. I feel like my tummy rumbles are the sounds of war on fat!

@annabelle48 – of course you are welcome to join us at any time. You could even rock up on day 30 and we’d still be happy to see you! Did I understand you correctly in that you don’t find 9 days (or continually) on 800 calories sustainable? I suspect it’s not for most people!! As you seem to be planning, have a play around with the more “traditional” 5:2 approach, where you just have 2 days a week on 600 calories. Hopefully, you’ll find this works better for you and that it really can become a WOL.

Hang in there @georgia83 and BrightonBelle…

Today’s question: how did you first stumble across 5:2? I really can’t recall but I think I saw Michael Mosley’s tv show and very soon after discovered this forum – that tipped me over.

Day 17, Emden Germany, FD

@champinator and @annabelle48 welcome!

@flourbaby great result!

@penz I also saw Michael Mosley’s tv show, then read the book.

Pocket list day 17
    @snowflake56

Have a nice day everyone!

Day 17 – Ireland – CD
    So my second ever LFD went well but… I had an orange at 6pm so maybe it was not quite a LFD…. just really needed something fresh and zingy…. not sure if that is an epic fail but I suppose two weeks ago I couldn’t have imagined I’d have so little on any given day…😊
    I’m tired today and the weather is shocking so no morning walk ☔️ …. i can’t wait for breakfast though which I don’t always have…
    @penz I think I may have seen the 📺 programme or read an article in the paper…. I can’t remember now 🙄. Then tried it on my own for a couple of months and then found the forum… the rest is history 😁

Onward and downward ⬇️
    We rise by lifting others 💕

Day 17 – Ireland 🇮🇪 – CD

My protein rich FD worked well yesterday, going to keep at it today however my brother has invited us over to his for a BBQ this evening to celebrate my SIL’s birthday. Haven’t seen them since Christmas although they live only 25km away…this lockdown has been hard.

So, we will go over and I will have a burger and other meats but no drinking or carbs…..and FD tomorrow.

But the weather is yuck, it’s raining now (much needed for the garden and the current hose pipe ban) so thus BBQ may end up indoors……suppose most Irish BBQ’s do 😆

@flourbaby, how WFH has changed how you approach FD! I remember you found it hard to FD when you weren’t at the office, now I hear you say you don’t know if you would LFD if you were in the office!!! So that means to me…you CAN do it…anywhere. Go you 👍

We have decided to go away for two nights in early July when hotels and restaurants and some bars open. Heading on the motorcycle to Kerry for one night, then Cork for the next. Social distancing will be in force, it won’t be like we knew it before BUT, I consider it as pulling on the green jersey to get out there and support Irish businesses that have been severely affected by the past few months of lockdown. Yay!

@dee22 hope your training is going well, I have to go to Dublin next week for a couple of days training so wondering if public transport will be safe (don’t fancy the drive to city centre) but yay for both of us and new jobs despite lockdown. ☺️

@penz I had heard about 5:2 in 2016 when I was in horticulture college, one of the guys was telling me his girlfriend does it and she wasn’t very nice on her FD’s 😳 That put me off ….but in 2017 I got so fed up of turning 50 and being overweight AGAIN, that I started to look around for the 5:2 online, immediately found this site, and joined up. I remember @debster251 was hosting the challenge…..and here I am nearly 3 years later.

Have a great Wednesday.

Day 17 – Lake district UK – CD

Good morning everyone

Calling in with coffee as usual, got into the habit of calling in here each morning when I first started this WOL, find it works as we literally are all in it together!

How did I stumble across 5:2, Interestingly enough I came across an article in a health magazine directed specifically aimed at us men, I was considerably overweight at the time. I needed to do something and there was a link to a 5:2 forum, so I looked in and joined for a while, but lost interest after a few months. That forum was very much an ‘unofficial’ one, with no links to Michael Mosley.

I have seen various things on TV including items by Michael Mosley and last year really decided it was time to get my fat backside (and all the other bits) into gear and make a concerted effort to lose weight. Went online to find the aforementioned forum, but found this one instead! I like listening to Dr Mosley, he doesn’t mess around, gives facts and lets ‘you’ decide for yourself, but easy to follow.

Next month will be 12 months since I joined this group, I’ve stuck with the monthly challenge group (apart from holidays!) calling in every morning and get my daily dose of motivation. No longer worry about a plateau lasting a couple of weeks because there is not a single week I have put on weight since Christmas! Don’t bother the scales between weekly my ‘weigh in’ on a Friday, 2 or 3 FD’s a week, depending how much was consumed on a weekend.

Overall my eating and drinking habits have changed for the better! My Basic Metabolic Rate is 1860 but now rarely exceed that, self imposed BMR is 1600, but daily intake is generally around 1200, FD’s between 6-800. Maybe I could do better and be more strict with myself, but there’s more to life! I love good food and fine wines, enjoy our holidays, especially abroad, exploring markets, restaurants and local food, wine and beers.
    Things like calling in a bar in Spain to find half the local constabulary in there having lunch (with coffee) They just made room for us, the food and beer was simple, cheap and very good, the security excellent! The other end of the scale, a small restaurant on the edge of the world, on top of a cliff looking out across the Mediterranean, lamb roasting by the open fire, fine wine and beautiful food.
    No we’re not going to give it up, but this WOL lets you indulge occasionally, just not all the time.

@penz …. well you did ask 😉

Take care all

Day 17 – UK – NFD

Good Morning All

Had a positive week so far. A small loss, which is certainly better than a gain!

I enjoyed your last post @ihatelettuce. Thank you for sharing.

Take care, stay safe.

Day 17 Oxfordshire, UK FD
    @penz – my neighbour told me about him. She and her husband had had an extravagant holiday and were using 5:2 to remove the evidence.
    I had had very slow weight loss, due to my age and stress I think. I looked him up and read about the principles and its been a regular part of my life for the past 5-6 years. I didnt read the book until much later. I found the forum nearly a year ago.

Day 1 FD
    Thank you all for your very friendly welcome. It helps a lot to have such encouragement.
    I’ve taken on board all your helpful suggestions so thank you all for that.
    stitchincarol I note what you say about TDEE and on NFD will try to keep below that.
    Yes I did say I did 9 days of 800 calories. That was from Michael’s 800 book where he say you can do 800 for a quick start. Not for me I’m afraid but it’s good to try these things.
    Aussie Jill, sorry laptop keeps correcting me, information on steroids interesting and helpful to hear of someone who has gone through the same sort of thing. Many thanks.
    I first came across 5 : 2 on TV programme and then bought books. I know it works as I did it successfully a couple of years ago but since contracting PMR and prednisolone it’s an uphill battle to shift weight.
    Alcohol is not a problem for me as I don’t drink. Not for any particular reason and I do drink if I go out for a meal with friends, just don’t bother at home.
    Having to work out some of the abbreviations. LFD WEYR dragons?

TTFN

Day 17, London, UK, LFD

It’sa bit of a long post, feel free to skip my ramblings!!!

@jaifaim, I chuckled at your short Irish pocket list, which put in mind of @debster251, which in turn led to me doing a bit of reminiscing last night and rereading long ago posts to see how far I’ve come, this set me off wondering how past friends were doing …………………………… @annemarilyn, @rainbowsmile, @pashaw, @lilymartin, @mogaman, @bigviking, @happymargo, @steve-toon-taxi-driver, @steffieagle, @jojo58, @bert1802, @okeydokey, @fatrabbit, @strawberriesandcream, @lynzm, @redrockgirl302, @fuvvie, @ciren2, @and… exhale, @onahealthyhigh, @in-it-to-thin-it and of course, @coda!!
    ………………..Yes ……………………………….. I’ve been here a looooooooooong time!!!! Some have left the forum, but I hope many are just lurking!!

@brightonbelle, I was in that particular loop since the beginning of December, April saw a shift in inches due to walking with Leslie, but still suffering the bouncy bouncy scales!! May was much the same although I was more disciplined on FDs …………………. It was the NFDs that did me in!! Now June has seen a dramatic change due to LFDs and mindful NFDs, I tried the fast800 but the ‘Avalanche Effect’ ruled, and often it was more like the fast1000 or fast1200!! This month I seem to have fallen nto (unplanned) ADF with LFDs, this has allowed me to eat up to 1600cals on NFDs (I don’t) and the decision NOT to eat on FDs means there’s no debate or angst or locking the kitchen door (only on NFDs!), since it was never open!!! This weight-loss malarkey is all about a calorie deficit, & as I’m eating max 1600cals every other day, I think it’s pretty much a modified Fast800. This suits me as my NFDs CAN include my favourite mocha or a cheeky bar of chocolate or a biscuit or BREAD!! and they’re proving to be mindful choices since 1600cals is a LOT to play with!!!

How are the DDs faring?? This pandemic has made so many people turn to drink, I started out having wine with lunch, then brunch ………….. Whaaat??? I soon knocked that on the head, pandemic or not, there will NOT be wine for breakfast!!! I’ll join you with a large shiraz this weekend as it’s Father’s Day 💕 🙏 and it would have been my dad’s 95th birthday on the 22nd 💕 🙏, so a visit to the cemetery and we’ll share a drink with him!!! 🥂

@penz ……………. ‘tummy rumbles = the war on fat’ ………………… I love that!!! 😆 😂 As for today’s question, I can’t remember last week let alone November 2016!!! The date is burnt into my brain, but the inspiration? No clue, 😂 probably a TV programme or a repeat of ‘Eat, Fast, Live Longer!!! (I may watch it again tonight on iplayer!! – sorry guys, possibly UK only) https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01lxyzc/horizon-20122013-3-eat-fast-and-live-longer

At that time, I was battling fiercely, trying various methods that would work then lead to even bigger gains and the frustration had set in, I have a ‘Target’ document starting in October 2015 at 192lbs, recording a low-cal regime then 5:2 starting 1st Nov 2016 at …………………194lbs!!! A year of low cal dieting = a 2lb gain 😖😖……………I’m the poster girl for how low cal diets don’t work!!! I joined these challenges in Feb 2017 and the rest is history!!!

@jaifaim, way to go on the LFD!! 👏 An orange is NOT an epic fail, for me it would start an eating avalanche and it would have ended as a NFD, your willpower muscle is strong, 💪 no need to worry!!! You’re sooo right @daffodil2010, 3 months ago I couldn’t imagine fasting successfully at home and Water fasts belonged to the superhumans like @dykask ……………………. this month ADF liquid fasting, who knew?? 😜

It may be a LFD, but I can taste that lamb @i-hate-lettuce!!😁😁

@annabelle48, Welcome!!! You’re on the right path for improving your health, no matter what the scales say!! Have a read of the page one welcome from this months fabulous host @penz, for all the abbreviations and details of how to post (we’re all on the same day (in the same boat😆) regardless of the day we started) Good luck!!!

“There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.” – Beverly Sills

Day 17 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD

Late start today; and so many posts?! Tried to speed-read through them all…

@annabelle48 – welcome to the forum! LFD = ‘liquid fast day’ and a ‘weyr’ is the collective noun for dragons. Can’t believe you didn’t know that?! 😜

Just as well it’s a NFD today; I recently discovered another couple of potential minefields I have to navigate. A new flavour of KitKat! New to SA anyway – Chunky Salted Caramel Fudge! 220 cals of sheer bliss. They really should put a government health warning on them. Just as well I only bought one; I came close to devouring the wrapper. And then there’s Clover Double Cream Lemon Meringue Flavoured Yogurt 😋

Having said that, I only used 1800 calories yesterday, despite allowing myself up to 2100 on NFDs. The MFP app really has been a game-changer for me when it comes to maintenance. I know many people say they don’t want to bother with counting calories on NFDs. But the app takes the hassle out of it, and once you get used to it, it only takes a couple of minutes a day. So for anyone who’s found themselves ‘yo-yoing’, as I did, despite doing 4:3 – it works! 5:2 with sensible NFDs is what I’m sticking with.

@penz – Michael Mosley’s ‘Eat, Fast…’ documentary was my intro to 5:2 in 2014; shortly followed by the book.

@flourbaby – Love the quote! – “There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.” – Beverly Sills

Happy Hump Day! 🐫

Pocket List – Day 17 🍒
    @snowflake56
    @suki2
    @annabelle48
    @flourbaby

DD List – Day 17 ☕️
    @funshipfreddie

Day 17 UK FD

Hello everyone! Hope you’re all keeping well. Thundery and rainy here today, but luckily I already got a workout in the garden in this morning.

@funshipfreddie Wow, that KitKat sounds absolutely immense! I would LOVE to try it. I’m a sucker for anything salted caramel, and KitKat chunkies used to be such a treat.
    Interested what you say about MFP… I’m in two minds about what to do once I reach goal. I can’t see myself counting forever, but nor do I want to gain weight again. I travel a lot which includes plenty of nights out drinking, and whenever I try to compensate by eating less in the days, the combination of hungry and tipsy = food attack! So I wonder if some form of 16:8 or OMAD a few times a week might keep that all balanced out.

@penz, I think I first heard about 5:2 in The Times newspaper. Michael and Mimi had written a feature, I presume when the series or book had just come out, can’t remember. Either way, I remember it sticking in my brain, and at some point I discovered the forums which have been a great help!

Fasting today, so adding myself to the pocket list.

Pocket List – Day 17 🍒
    @snowflake56
    @suki2
    @annabelle48
    @flourbaby
    @endellion

x

Day 17 USA (Illinois) NFD

FD went well yesterday with 400 calories. Tummy rumbles are just part of the fasting regimen as well as losing weight. Or in my case, maintaining. I didn’t overdo yesterday, in fact, had my first lovely massage in months. Good hot day for some pool time too.

@penz – chatting with an Aussie Words With Friends acquaintance about weight, 5:2 came up – bought the book, did some research, and began in March 2016. About 40 pounds came off in less than a year, and I am maintaining that. This forum has been very important in all of my journey. (Began blogging in May ’16 with @coda – met lots of lovely people, some in person, including @coda and her DH when they came to Chicago).

Onward and downward.

2nd post,

@funshipfreddie & @endellion (you might not want to read this!!), that particular flavour of kitKat chunky is available in the UK & it’s my all time favourite, along with the peanut butter one, Sometimes I think I’ll have just one of the three sections ……………. Epic fail …………. every ……… single ……….. time!!! 😁😜😂

Day 17 – USA/GA – Surprise FD

I was planning to return to Thursdays as my FD, as it spaces the days out a bit more, but I checked my calendar today and wondered, “when can I eat?” I have a meeting in 15 minutes (ok, it was just moved to tomorrow while typing this), another at 11:30, and another at 1:00. Sometimes a day is built for fasting, so today will be it!

I actually maintained my weight of 260 this morning! So happy after I cooked up some very delicious things on yesterday’s NFD that I won’t mention right now, but had a sensible portion throughout the day of those dishes.

@penz – Long story. I had been keeping up with the research off and on the past year about weight loss, and knew that 1. most weight loss happens with control of diet, not exercise and 2. fat doesn’t get “burned up,” it is broken down to the simple sugars that cells can use and the extra hydrogen and carbon atoms combine with the oxygen we breathe to expel the rest as water waste and carbon dioxide — thus exercise can help us transport the elements needed for weight loss once the triglycerides are forced to break down.

So there’s the main step, which is how to make the body use stored fat as energy, and the second step, how to increase breathing so that it can better process it and get rid of the extra weight. But how do I do this specifically in my life?

I found some videos on YouTube and was surprised to see some folks not talking about spending hours at the gym or flaunting product or diet X, Y or Z, but mentioning calorie reduction through intermittent fasting. I was intrigued, as I have tried simply reducing my daily calorie intake, but found it frustrating to know whether or not I had exceeded my limit every day (especially if you have that restaurant meal).

I wanted to find more, so I kept digging and found 5:2 to be something that I knew I could manage — just two days a week? At my job over the past year, there had been two or three days where I didn’t have any free time to eat because of my meetings, so I ate when I got home. This was basically the same idea, except I could stretch out those few calories over the day. And I could move FDs around! Wow, this is something I can actually stick with long-term! A little over a month, and I still love it.

Yesterday, my brother mentioned that he could tell I’ve lost weight. I see it a little bit, but maybe not as much as other people (I figured it would be the other way around).

Good luck, everyone!

Pocket List – Day 17
    @snowflake56
    @suki2
    @annabelle48
    @flourbaby
    @endellion
    @northgeorgia

DD List – Day 17
    @funshipfreddie

Gotcha. Day17 FD. Still ok and sticking to it. May re-watch eat, fast etc.

Day 17 NFD country West Australia
    Eat drink and be merry for tomorrow we diet!!!
    2 months of family, feasting 🍕🍷🍸🍤, failing to exercise 🛋 fabulous food 🥐🧀🥑🍧🥮🍰- and lots of it, funerals 😢 ….. and tomorrow we fast!!
    Good to back after being MIA for a while.
    Hope to have a FD tomorrow since all the other influencers have gone.
    Hi to all. Will catch up on posts later.

Day 17 – Rural Nebraska, USA – NFD

Yesterday’s CD went fine, but I was up a pound this morning…the traitorous scale can sometimes feel quite overwhelming, you know?

@IHateLettuce loved your story and have resolved that the next time we travel to Europe (as if we do this on a regular basis, ROTFL!!!!!), I want us to travel with you and your wife; you described two glorious experiences that I want to experience!
    @flourbaby loved the quote! “There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.” Beverly Sills
    @lilymartin Welcome back; in your absence, I’ve returned to this forum from a year or two ago, and I’ll watch for your posts to become acquainted with you!

@penz In January 2013, my husband saw a video (he’s never been able to figure out just which one it was) and suggested it to me. He had (and has) no need to lose weight, but liked the health benefits and the challenge of doing such a thing. For whatever reason, his enthusiasm simply elicited a mental eye-roll from me, and some vague words to curb his interest. Don’t know where or when, I came across information, suggested it to Mark and he said, “Yeah! That’s what I was telling you about!” So I apologized for blowing him off, and started in with him doing it as well. We’ve maintained it for most of these 7 years, with a bit of a break last year because we were failing to find FDs in our busy calendar (meals with friends and occasions we simply couldn’t skip), and completely failing on those days we did do a FD, so we formally “quit.” Then, February 26 this year, we started again, and have been successful on all but a handful of FDs ever since.

Of course, that doesn’t mean I’ve been successful on NFDs!!! 🙂

Today is house tidying day, and some actual cleaning while I’m at it. Our two boys are coming for Father’s Day this Sunday, and I want a peaceful and lovely home, not a let’s-get-all-this-clutter-scooped-up-and-shoved-somewhere sort of day.

Did anyone check out that broccoli apple salad recipe?

Wishing us all laser focus on our goals!

Day 17 second post

@northgeorgia, I forgot to comment that I loved your explanation of how fat is eliminated. I am NOT a science person, so I had to force myself to actually read what you wrote and not just skim over it–and I understood it! And it explains, I think, a big reason I’m not losing weight as well now as I was in March, because I was getting 10K steps pretty much every day then. I know exercise is not really going to make me lose weight, but your explanation showed why it will help, especially when fasting. Thanks so much for that!

NFD day 17 Ire

Hi, yesterday FD went well even though there were cream cakes in the fridge !!
    The information about the exercise is a good reminder and I really need to up my steps.
    Daffodil2010 the transport in Dublin is ok. Just wear a mask and follow the guide Mark’s on the bus or tram. Not all the seats are in use so you cant be on top of anyone. Good luck with training.
    I plan to fast tomorrow again and I will definitely walk.
    Take care

Day 17 UK NFD

Wise words @flourbaby . I’ve been tracking my cal intake and my rolling 7day average is around 1200 a day which I must admit I thought would be low enough I think a 3rd FD May be the answer , Onwards ….

Day 18, FD, Aus

Loved your post @@Ihatelettuce!! You should be the pin-up boy for this WOL.

Ok, new forum rule. And this is aimed at you @funshipfreddie! NO MENTIONING OF DELICIOUS NEW CHOCOLATE BAR FLAVOURS!!! I can only hope those … no, I’m not even going to copy its tempting name … KitKats are not available in shops near me.

I love a surprise FD @northgeorgia. And you’re so right about diet vs exercise. Since COVID, my OH has done NO exercise (he used to go to the gym daily) but he has been following a predominantly keto diet. He’s shed about 7kg. What did you do/learn to increase breathing? Is this just exercising so that you pant? (well, maybe not “pant”, but you know what I mean!)

Welcome back @lilymartin!!

V late posting today – am in the office which is always busy in a different kind of way to being busy working from home. Checking in and reading posts is a priority but I’ve not had time to think of today’s question. Maybe it should be: what is the thing you would most like to learn from those on maintenance? (I think my personal question would be: how do you know what your goal weight is, given a peron’s “healthy weight” can be so variable?)

Day 18 pocket list
    @penz
    @lilymartin (for incentive)

Day 18 DD:
    @penz
    @EmmaTaylor (still with me?)

Day 18, Emden Germany, NFD

@lilymartin welcome back!

@penz I’m not sure about my goal weight. In the past I think I set my goal weight too low and wasn’t able to keep it without too much effort so it became a struggle. I want to go down to 60 kg now and see if I can stay there. I just want to fit in the clothes I have, don’t want to buy anything new.

Have a nice day everyone!

Switzerland – Day 18 – FD800

On my second FD of this week, after today it’s done… till next week 🙂

@penz: my goal weight now is to get close to or under 61kg. Why? Well, in my past Fast Diet experience I was able to get as low as 59, the goal was to stay under or around 60. For this it was necessary to be very strict with my two 500cal FDs AND to watch my NFDs. For a certain time that was not a problem, but in the longer run it creates stress and then I was reluctant to do any fasts at all for quite some time. BUT I learned, that with my newfound sense for food I can stay under 63kg without watching my weight or doing any FDs at all (I started out at 67, normal weight was clearly over 65). So I think if I try a more relaxed approach this time (FD800 instead of 500, no watching NFDs), maybe it takes more time to get where I want to be – but maybe it’s also easier to find a concept for the long run. Sorry, I hope it’s understandable what I’m trying to say: the goal weight should be something where you feel good with your body but it should also be sustainable. ALSO: if you lose too much weight you have more wrinkles on your face 😉

Day 18 pocket list
    @penz
    @lilymartin (for incentive)
    @beck100 (FD800)

Day 18 DD:
    @penz
    @EmmaTaylor (still with me?)
    @beck100

second post: actually it would have sufficed to refer to snowflake56’s post – she said the same as me just with less words… 😉

take care everybody

Day 18 UK NFD

Morning everyone!

@flourbaby – no way is that Kitkat available here?! I’ll have to try it! Luckily though I live quite far from the shops so I’m not tempted every day. But I’ll certainly have to pop out to get one to try soon!

@beck100 – how funny, I could have basically written your post word for word! I also started around 67kg, got down to 59kg although maintained more easily around 61kg-63kg. I think part of it has to do with that water weight you lose at the start coming back on when you eat normally. So really, it might be an idea to aim for a few kilos below where you want to maintain to allow for that?

@penz – what would I most like to learn from those on maintenance? Hmm… I think I would like to know what little tips and tricks they incorporate into day-to-day life to keep tabs on things. Interested in all sorts of different perspectives so I can figure out what would work best for me!

x

Day 18 – Lake district UK – FD

Good morning everyone

A busy day in the garden yesterday, there was the chance of rain so spent 3 hours like a mountain goat, tackling the rockery! It’s become a lot easier since I’ve lost so much weight, despite the heat and constant scrambling and bending got it all done and wasn’t knackered afterwards!

Unfortunately the rain didn’t turn up, however it was some workout, didn’t need a walk, the morning’s work burned 534 calories alone. Daughter In Law is qualified fitness trainer and while I’ll never get anywhere near her level of fitness (I couldn’t even attempt the hours per day she puts in even through lockdown) certainly the combination of 5:2 WOL and the exercise has made a huge difference.

FD again today, which will be even easier than usual, busy day ahead, see if I can slide off the plateau in tomorrows weigh in? If not no worries, just discovered a brand new pair of trousers in the wardrobe, decent fit, so can delay our foray to buy new clothes for a little bit longer!

@snowflake56 – I’ve got the problem of most of the clothes I have left (lots went to charity shop recently) are too big, things keep going in the machine on a hot wash, trying to get them to shrink a bit!

@penz – after being seriously overweight, aiming to get BMI under 30 for a start. Earlier on in life I played rugby and did a lot of circuit training and weight lifting so was built like a brick outhouse. The problem was when I stopped playing/training the shape changed, then the weight slowly crept up. Taken me a long time and quite a bit of effort to get where I am now, but a huge difference, feel (and look, I’m told) so much better!

Take care all

Day 18 pocket list
    @penz
    @lilymartin
    @i-hate-lettuce
    @beck100

Day 18 DD:
    @penz
    @EmmaTaylor
    @beck100

Day 18 UK NFD

Had a very successful fd yesterday with only 3 short bouts of hunger pangs. Very pleased with scales weight – loss of 1 and half pounds. I know it won’t stay at that but as long as I keep nibbling away that’s fine. Just so pleased have defeated meds’ if only for a short time. Must be careful today so am aiming for 1000 calories. It’s very much a trial and error at the beginning to find out what works for me on nfd.
    Flourbaby thanks for link to horizon programme. I watched it yesterday and although there have been a lot of advances in fasting knowledge it is still relevant.

Day 18 – Ireland 🇮🇪 – FD

Quick check in. Last nights BBQ was actually my SIL’s 60th birthday party so there was cake. On the FD wagon again today. Upping the protein and limiting the carbs seems to work ok for me.

Talk tomorrow when I have more time.

DAY 18 – UK – FD

Hi Everyone

Today is a FD as I forgot to do it yesterday 😬. Scales show a slight loss. So far this month I’m down a firm 2.5lbs. If this rate of loss continues I’ll reach my mini goal of 4lb loss for June. I’ve not reached a mini goal for about a year. Fingers crossed.

Yesterday I completed (in a fashion) a Lesley Sansone’s walking video on YouTube. It was a 20 minute one. Not graceful or in time but I did it and enjoyed it! I felt my first post exercise glow in 4 years (since acquiring a spinal cord injury) and it was great! Today I need to repeat.

In response to @penz question I’d say my goal weight has to be achievable as well as maintainable; also within a healthy BMI range. Up to my late 40s I was around 115lbs/22.5 BMI. My goal weight for this time in my life is around 125-135lbs/24-25 BMI. Both weights are within the healthy range for my height. Short term I’m wanting to get firmly under 140lbs. At my heaviest I was around 170lb/33 BMI. It’s been a long journey due to my own health/mobility limitations.

More recently my BMI was 29 on 01/06 and today it’s 28.5. I need to get under 25 to be in healthy range.

Take care and stay safe everyone.

Day 18 – Ireland – FD
    More of a NFD than a CD yesterday but made good choices…
    I also had a lovely sandwich delivered to me by a friend from a bakery near where I work – such a lovely and kind surprise so I enjoyed every morsel 😋 . It’s one of the many things I miss about the old work days 😂😂 mind you that might be a good thing…

Onward and downward ⬇️
    We rise by lifting others 💕

Day 18 pocket list
    @penz
    @lilymartin
    @i-hate-lettuce
    @beck100
    @jaifaim
    @judyjudes
    @daffodil2010

Day 18 FD IRE

Hello everyone. FD today . Drinking ginger tea to try wake up. My neighbours think I have lost the plot i.e. gone mad I have just chased a cat around the garden with a giant water gun, in my pjs, God you should see the state of my hair aaaah. Cant wait for the hairdressers to open .
    Im at that stage where I usually give up the ‘battle of the bulge’ but not this time. My health is on the line and I keep thinking if I got covid I’m not in good shape to fight it. It’s quite scary to see how sick you can get so quickly. Even the idea of being on a ventilator is enough to stop me stuffing my face. Onward and upward.

Day 18, London, UK, NFD,

Wow, I should do the lottery, just mentioned yesterday some MIA friends, and a few hours later, up pops @lilymartin!!! Welcome back; that time spent with family was priceless & well worth the extra millimetre or 2!!!! 😉 😉

@penz, this is where I find myself in 2 minds. As important as the numbers on the scale are, I can’t even contemplate a goal weight, I used to think 150lbs, but when I got there (memories!! 😟) I thought I should go a bit lower. Now with my ‘time of life’ issues😖 I’m going with a goal size. If I can be comfortable in a UK size 10 (currently swinging from 12 – 14) I would be happy!! As for my maintenance question, I think I know the answer, but I would ask whether vigilance is the key to maintenance, or do you ever get to take your eye off the ball?? 🙏

Despite it being a NFD, today will be soup & salad, funnily enough, just the thought of a (ears/eyes closed @penz & @endellion) salted caramel kitkat would have had me salivating, now, not so much. 🙏 I did NOT struggle through a LFD just to blow it on 1 choccy bar😖 and I think my body’s craving nutrients after the fast so the salivating is ALL down to thinking of lentil & bacon soup and a prawn salad!!! I’m going to develop some serious biceps 💪 from polishing this halo!!!!! 😜😜

Take care folks!!!

“Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself.” — Rumi

Day 18 – UK – CD
    Day 17 – NFD
    Day 16 – FD800

Managed B2B FD on Day 15/16 with 3 classes on Day 15 and 1 on Day 16 weight yesterday morning was just above 55kg so happy to be staying in my maintenance range 💃

This morning did a 7am Broga class with OH via zoom – very hot and sweaty one 🥵
    At 9am logged on for my 2nd regular aerobic class and we lost our teacher as her internet died on her just as we were about to get started…….it was lovely to have a chat with the other regular attenders and after 10mins we had to give up as our poor teacher could not connect back…..I must admit to feeling a bit relieved to not having to do the class 🤭 so I’m logging on here instead for a catchup

@champinator and @annabelle48 – welcome on board – never too late to join
    @flourbaby – go you with those LFD!!! And yes missing so many old friends – do hope that they are all keeping healthy and happy 🤗
    @endellion – slow but sure works – keep doing what is working for you!
    @stitchincarol – unfortunately I often have those especially over the weekend…..bad habit 🤭
    @ccco – good to see that you are still with us – hope the computer glitch is sorted out
    @erikaa67 – the beauty of the 5:2 WOL means that if social reasons intervene you can easily adjust and move your FD which is exactly what you did so no failure
    @northgeorgia – looks like you are on track to get below your June target 👍
    @betsylee – good to hear that you find my mantra motivating – certainly has worked me and has kept me in maintenance
    @i-hate-lettuce – love your approach and totally agree that this WOL has allowed me to lose weight and remain in maintenance without having to completely give up the foodie/wine pleasures hence why I still try to fast for 2 days…..
    @lilymartin – great to have you back with us -sounds like you had a fab family time and some sad ones too 🤗

@penz
    *which do you prefer: to lose weight or to lose inches? – I never measure but I do use a favourite pair of jeans and a dress as my way of knowing if I’m remaining in maintenance! I also weigh once a week after my 2nd FD usually as I find it a real motivator – if my weight is up a bit I’ll have a couple of CDs or even another FD
    *how did you first stumble across 5:2? – I think I might have read an article then looked for a link to MM’s TV show and also read his book.
    * what is the thing you would most like to learn from those on maintenance? – how do you know what your goal weight is?? Personally I started this WOL on my own in January 2016 and then stayed on a plateau from around mid August until I joined these challenges in November 2016 and managed to drop a few more kg – in that first year I lost a total of 22kg/49lbs and have kept it off maintaining around 54-56kg/119-124lbs with a BMI of around 20 – not sure why I chose this weight range for maintenance but it’s where I ended at and I realised that I felt comfortable and happy in my body so aiming to stay there seems sensible…..Vigilance is key to staying in maintenance!

My tips for those new or struggling or new to this WOL/WOE are:
    *Stick to the basics – IT WORKS!
    *A good trick is to calculate your TDEE for the weight you want to be and not the weight you are and you should therefore lose weight a bit quicker and get used to eating less calories when you reach maintenance!
    *Don’t overestimate your exercise level!!!
    *DO NOT add the calories lost due to exercise into your daily calorie allowance as it is already taken into account when you work out your TDEE!
    *Use a calorie counter – It will be an education…..TRUST ME!!!
    *Increase your water intake to a minimum of 2L/day

My motto for this journey remains
    “If I quit now, I will soon be back to where I started. And when I started, I was desperately wishing to be where I am now”

@penz- I’m still with you!!! Keep putting me on Monday to Thursday. It’s really good incentive to stay off the grog.
    I’m now trying to do OMD, in the window from 5 until 10. Only just started, but for me it’s much easier then having FD and NFD. And, for some reason ( which I’m sure someone will know…) you don’t feel hungry during the day. Just giving it a go.

Day 18 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – FD

@lilymartin – welcome back!

@endellion – I also follow time-restricted eating, as well as 5:2; and I can’t remember the last time I had 3 meals in one day. Two meals, and maybe a small snack on NFDs, & one meal on FDs in the evening. Before the lock-down my first meal would be at around 11 – 11:30 am, because I would eat out after the gym. But now that I’m eating all my meals at home, lunch has been even later, at maybe 1 pm or later. But I try to stick to 16:8 or 15:9.

@penz – I promise I won’t mention any new flavours. But an old flavour, the Chunky Mint was my all-time favourite until about a year ago. I once munched my way through three of those bad boys in one afternoon, I’m embarrassed to say. And then they just disappeared from the shelves?! No warning or anything. Why do they do that? So cruel. I must have searched every store within a 10 km radius 😟

@flourbaby – Sometimes I think I’ll have just one of the three sections ……………. Epic fail …………. every ……… single ……….. time!!! 😁😜😂 It can’t be done?! And according to the wrapper, ‘a serving = two-thirds of KitKat’?! Hmm, okay then…? 😳

@penz – my ideal weight is where I am now, at 71kgs. That’s what I weighed in my 20’s, and puts my BMI at just under 22. I briefly got a bit carried away last year, when my weight went down to 68 kgs. Too low, I think, for a 5′ 11″ male. I’m still navigating the NFDs, trying to figure out what the calories should be to stay at my current weight.

@flourbaby – to answer your question:- as someone who’s been sort of maintaining for about a year, but still trying to figure it out; maybe it depends on the individual. But for me I’d say vigilance is key, because there are just too many temptations out there! We’re constantly being bombarded by commercials, surrounded by fast-food joints & convenience foods. And wily scientists continually coming up with irresistible new KitKat flavours. Definitely, vigilance! 😱

Pocket List – Day 18 🍋
    @penz
    @lilymartin
    @i-hate-lettuce
    @beck100
    @daffodil2010
    @judyjudes
    @jaifaim
    @dee22
    @funshipfreddie

DD List – Day 18 ☕️
    @penz
    @emma-taylor
    @beck100
    @funshipfreddie

Day 18 Melb Aust NFD
    Day 17 TDEE

Not managing too well this week. Think the 3 FDs per week are getting to be too much. Might try for one more week, and then decide if they should morph into 2 done well. I’ve simply been trying to lose more quickly before my routine medical checks late June/ early July, but may have reached my limit for a while.

@penz, sorry to tell you this, but I think the “Not to be named” chunky K K’s ARE available in Oz. Just don’t look too closely in the confectionery aisles of Coles or Woollies (2 supermarket chains possibly unfamiliar to non-Aussies, sorry).

To reply to the questions:
    Like many others, I think I first heard of 5:2 by seeing Dr M on TV, and I then bought the books. I didn’t try it out though until my brother and partner visited and I saw she’d lost a lot of weight which she said was by doing 18:6 eating, with no restrictions on what she ate. I tried that and it didn’t work for me, so I re-read the first book, and started, also logging onto the website out of curiosity. Found the forums November 2018, and have continued from there.

Maintenance? I’d like to be 52 kg as I’m quite short. I’ll be under a BMI of 25 if I get down to 59 kg, and in my early 20s I tended to be around 57-59 kg, so that may be a sensible goal weight. BUT – I’d really like to be lighter than that. At this point, it’s moot, as I’m still hovering around 70 kg, but as the weight comes off more, I’ll just see 1. How I go, and 2. Where my doctor would like me to be. My reason for doing 5:2 is basically for better health and wellbeing, so getting medical advice is also important. I’d love to be off my blood pressure tabs – I’m on the lowest possible dose at the moment, so surely I could stop them. Again, following medical advice.

That’s a bit of a blurb, sorry.

Onward and downwards everyone!

Day 18, UK NFD

Been MIA this week thanks to the back pain. I gave up with the strong painkillers the dr prescribed due to the side effects – I decided they weren’t for me when I fell asleep in the bath and sent my kindle for a swim😀. The doctor offered tramadol as an alternative which I declined so I’ve been focusing on something a bit weaker and gentle exercise. It’s started easing and hopefully it will fix itself soon.

My last FD was last Thursday so a week ago. Since then I’ve just been grazing although I haven’t had alcohol for almost 14 days. The scales this morning showed a 1lb gain – I was expecting more and can live with that.

@penz – I have no idea what my ideal weight is. I’ve been overweight for my whole adult life. I would love to get to a UK size 12 and I’m hoping I’ll recognise the weight when (not if) I get there.

It was my dad’s birthday last weekend, yesterday he rang to ask if I’d ordered a box of Twixes for him (sorry for breaking the no talking about chocolate ban). For a second I thought my afternoon tea order had somehow got confused with a chocolate bar order by the post office but no – Afternoon tea is safe and on target for delivery tomorrow. Apparently my niece is the culprit, sending a catering pack of 72 to him for birthday/Father’s Day. With a family like this it’s no surprise I need to drop about 50 lbs. We’re dropping in on him and mum on Saturday so I know we’ll be bringing a few of them home.

Today is the first day I’ve felt relatively human, will pick up the fasting baton tomorrow.

Happy Thursday everyone.

Day 18 Wales 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 FD

@flourbaby to answer your question about maintenance, after two years I can definitely say it takes bucketloads of VIGILANCE! Being a healthy weight is worth the effort plus after doing FDs on Mondays and Thursdays and being careful on Tuesdays and Wednesdays I really enjoy relaxing with a few weekend treats….makes treats more special.

Keep with it everyone, this WOL works 😊

Day 18 – USA/GA – NFD

Good FD yesterday, although my mom texted me, saying they had pizza. My family is very supportive, though. She asked if I was fasting today, and when I said I was, her response was, come get a slice for tomorrow. Another nice thing about 5:2 is that it doesn’t make your family, friends, and co-workers feel as uncomfortable, since you can always save a portion of whatever for the next day.

Scales tell me I’ve dropped 1 lb. this morning to 259, my end of June goal. Four days of NFDs ahead tell me I’ll probably get 1 – 2 lbs. back before next week’s FD, but it’s a nice feeling. According to my records, I last weighed 259 on October 28, 2018, and I’ve had 20 lbs. of weight loss since mid-January (10 of which has been on 5:2 since May 11th). Woo hoo!

@stitchincarol @penz I used to teach adults, and one of the lessons was on balancing chemical equations; you always had to have the same stuff at the end as the stuff you started with. It changes form, but doesn’t disappear. So that report was interesting to me; I’m no expert either, but this is what I understood. According to the study, we’re obviously always breathing out, and our bodies fast at night while digestion can continue its processes. So, we’re always losing weight no matter what we do, unless we replenish (that’s why calorie reduction is the only way to really lose weight). Exercise increases blood circulation to carry the cellular waste, including to the lungs where CO2 is exhaled. So it’s not just the panting, it’s the exhaled breath itself that contains more CO2 to be expelled (we also exhale water vapor, oxygen, argon, and a lot of nitrogen, etc.). Therefore, any kind of exercise will help. I think of exercise as things I like to do or have to do: a nice but challenging hilly walk, cleaning the floors and bathrooms, gardening, organizing cabinets and storage containers, moving things that need packed away, etc. I may do some weight training eventually, but I’ve never been enamored of going to the gym (and it did very little for me). Why pay for it when there are so many free things to do around the house involving repetitive lifting, stepping, pushing, pulling, and squatting?

@at Yes! Technically, I reached my June target today, so even with the seesawing over the rest of the month, I think I should be below my 259 lbs. target by June 30 🙂

I have around 100 more lbs. to lose to get to the ideal weight. It’s my goal, but I’ll be happy if I get close. I know as the months wear on, the loss will slow and plateau, but I’m OK with that. Even losing one or two lbs. a month is something to celebrate. Good luck to everyone on their FD today! You can do it, even if pizza mischievously beckons.

Pocket List – Day 18
    @penz
    @lilymartin
    @i-hate-lettuce
    @beck100
    @daffodil2010
    @judyjudes
    @jaifaim
    @dee22
    @funshipfreddie

DD List – Day 18
    @penz
    @emma-taylor
    @beck100
    @funshipfreddie

Day 18 UK FD

Had to quickly skim over the kitkat discussion – I really do not need to find more delicious naughties to add to my shopping list

My personal aim is to fit comfortably(being able to breath/move) in my size 12s will do for me I reckon I need to lose 7-10 lbs but my goodness are they proving to be stubborn

Pocket List – Day 18
    @penz
    @lilymartin
    @i-hate-lettuce
    @beck100
    @daffodil2010
    @judyjudes
    @jaifaim
    @dee22
    @funshipfreddie
    @brightonbelle

DD List – Day 18
    @penz
    @emma-taylor
    @beck100
    @funshipfreddie
    @brightonbelle

Day 18 2nd post.
    Have looked at the list of abbreviations which Penz kindly posted. DD stands for darling daughter so why is there a list, today there are 5 names on it? Sorry to be thick.

Day 18 Canada FD

Sorry I have missed a few days! Headed away for the weekend and to get another round of medical tests done. Had a mix of indulging and controlling and am back to work on my goal of shifting more weight today.

@northgeorgia congrats 🙂
    @saffy420 hope the pain goes soon
    @floubaby the LFD’s are really working for you, I am struggling with low iron levels and when that is sorted I think I will give it a try
    @at thanks for the tips, I am going to use them all!!

@penz I heard about 5:2 in an article on how chefs keep their weight down, I love to cook so it definitely caught my attention.

Day 5 of 9 FD’s this month for me- I am set to get back to it!

Pocket List – Day 18
    @penz
    @lilymartin
    @i-hate-lettuce
    @beck100
    @daffodil2010
    @judyjudes
    @jaifaim
    @dee22
    @funshipfreddie
    @brightonbelle
    @bellyblast

Viewing 50 posts - 401 through 450 (of 696 total)

You must be logged in to reply.