Jump in June! – June 2022 Monthly Challenge

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Jump in June! – June 2022 Monthly Challenge

This topic contains 366 replies, has 26 voices, and was last updated by  ccco 1 year, 9 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 301 through 350 (of 376 total)

• Just finished 2nd week, 4th fasting day – feel I am settling into a routine! 2nd FD was a disaster – really struggled but decided if I skip breakfast and have light lunch and dinner it’s not that difficult. Just need to keep busy – distraction tactics! Thankfully I have a couple of quilting projects I am trying to finish so everytime I get ‘the nibbles’ I nip into the sewing room instead and spend 15 minutes at the sewing machine! Seems to work all round and I definitely feel better – not so tired or lacking in energy. Fingers crossed for next week as we have a short holiday booked – might have to just do one FD as don’t think I can resist the buffet breakfast table!

Day 25 – Lake district UK – NFD

Good morning everyone

Going to be a long busy day at the fundraiser today, off in a minute so quick call in.

@goal10kg – Re ‘cheat-eat-whatever-you-want day’ I used to do this and as long as you don’t fall face down in the trough and go completely mad and end up doing a 2nd day, its fine. Especially as the following day I tended to feel bloated so didn’t eat much! That’s covered ‘normal’ at home week for an odd ‘day off’.
    Holidays are different beasts to control! I find that as long as I didn’t go overboard and just be a bit restrained, as soon as I got back home it’s straight back into 5:2 or 4:3 and restrict alcohol to one night a week, a few extra MOAM walks and any weight gain will go reasonably quickly. I work on however long the holiday is that’s how long it will take to get rid of holiday gain, unless you go OTT, then it will take a bit longer.
    Don’t kid yourself and don’t give up, but enjoy your holiday.

I’ve found that nowadays my eating habits have changed after 3 years, the ‘Inner Warthog’ no longer has a trough to wallow in and I automatically eat and drink less, even on holiday.

Take care all

Day 25 – Ireland – NFD βœ… πŸš«πŸšΆπŸ»β€β™€οΈ

Good morning β˜€οΈ

All together now for the final weekend… I need a shove πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ’ͺ

Onward and downward ⬇️
    We rise by lifting others πŸ’•

Day 25 UK NFD

Final weekend – eek – ok aiming for steady weekend and then big push to achieve a loss for the month πŸ’ͺ

Day 25
    Up she goes! Pudding attack!
    Will keep going!!😬

Day 25 – South Africa πŸ‡ΏπŸ‡¦ – NFD

Just logging on for accountability. I feel like I’m drowning in paperwork/emails. It’s like a bad dream 😱. Yesterday I threw a digital tantrum after two different people at the pet travel place were claiming to be my ‘consultant’ & sending me duplicate forms to complete?! Somehow I don’t think they’ll make that mistake again πŸ˜’

@brightonbelle – I’m up to a 43 day streak! So proud πŸ˜… I hope your streak’s continuing too. Sometimes it seems too easy, & I almost feel cheated if I get it too quickly, like today πŸ™„

@gardenlily – welcome! Where are you?

Have a good weekend fellow fasters 🌀 🌈

Day 25 – USA/GA – NFD

Weigh-in: 213 lbs. Next FD will be tomorrow (hopefully); taking Monday off but I think that day my niece and nephew want to go on a day trip to the mountains where there’s a Alpine-themed town with attractions, and that will involve a picnic by the creek, candy shops, etc.

Despite an average two pound average weight gain this week, I am two pounds lower than my weigh-in last Saturday, so I should be getting on the right track (Just in time for Independence Day Celebrations next week to derail me again? Aghh! No, maybe not!).

I am finding some legitimacy to evening meals having more an effect on weight gain than the same meal taken at lunch time. I saw a Ted talk presenter speak about that, and was doubtful, but in the few experiments I’ve done, it seems to have some merit. When I do OMAD, I’m going to continue to try to do so at lunchtime. I wonder if those doing the 500/800Kcal days on a bit of a plateau like me right now might see some positive effect if the meal was moved earlier in the day?

Day 25 UK CD

Yesterday was an unexpected FD800 – bonus b2b with my regular FD on Thursday: the joy of busyness! This morning’s weigh in was possibly 0.5lb down – I will keep from any jubiliation until next Friday’s weigh day! But definitely feeling thinner and on my way to better health.

I’m exhausted after an incredibly full week and today has been all about prepping for a church party tomorrow. I’ve baked two gluten/grain/dairy free paleo cakes – one chocolate with chocolate ganache topped with strawberries, one lemon with lemon graze topped with blueberries. I’ve also made one banner for bunting representing a group I lead, and have another one to do that’s embroidery on felt – no-one else was feeling well /had time/was around to pick up the materials.BUT that’s also kept me away from food, other than tiny tastes of batter / ganache to check they are okay.

I still have the embroidery project to finish but need to stop and eat, get my stuff ready for tomorrow & water the pots. Still not done any gardening but that will be tomorrow afternoon and Monday when I’m taking half the day off. Only one evening thing next week and a friend staying over next weekend which will stop me doing project stuff. My OMAD will be eggs with spinach, cauliflower, vegan fish and salad followed by berries, perhaps with vegan custard to make it feel more like a treat!

@jaifaim @linda.b @stichincarol thank you for your encouragement! I’m in my first month so I know it’s the easy weight loss, but hopefully if i get back into the swing it will keep coming off over the next months too πŸ™‚

@gardenlily Welcome! I love your idea of going to sew for 15 mins each time you want to eat on FD – win / win!

@jaifaim here’s a big shove coming from behind to help you kickstart your mojo- you can do this!!!!

@5413.5 puddings do attack! Worth being prepared for the ambush πŸ™‚

@northgeorgia I’ve read research somewhere that if people have main meal in the evening over the course of a year it leads to a 10lb gain….

Okay, cake to take out of the oven and supper to fix. Hope you have a lovely weekend

Day 26 – Lake District UK – NFD

Good morning everyone

Quick call in again this morning, Mrs I-h-l’s fundraiser going well, final day today, ready to hit the sofa tonight and stop πŸ™‚ However very much a worthwhile cause, the local cancer foundation will benefit from extra funds πŸ˜‰

Take care all

Day 26 – Sunday – Gold Coast Queensland Australia – (NFD) 🀩

I listened to a very interesting radio documentary today … an examination of Long COVID.
    https://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/this-working-life/mass-disabling-event-long-covid-is-hitting-australian-workplaces/13944890
    I haven’t actually had Covid myself but many people around me have, some with no ongoing effects but others with lingering health issues.
    I know a few of our group have been struggling with health issues and thought they might like to listen to this report. It seems that it is possible to recover after COVID but then in a month or two or three that Long COVID can develop to varying degrees. Anyway, it’s interesting and food for thought πŸ€”πŸ€”

Surprisingly, the scales dropped yet again this morning and have now reached the bottom end of the maintenance goal wriggle room ie 60kg. I wasn’t expecting that but happy… now need to continue with the maintenance regime.

@northgeorgia – Re your question “positive effect if the meal was moved earlier in the day?”:
    For the duration of my I.F. since 1st February I have had my largest meal at lunchtime even though I still always have 3 meals a day, every single day. Lunchtime is when I’m hungriest (inner warthog!πŸ‘Ή) This works for me because my kitchen is next to my office. I know you work away from home but you could take a big chilled lunch box filled with lovely salad and veg πŸ₯—πŸ₯¦πŸ₯¦πŸ„πŸ„πŸ₯‘πŸŒΆπŸ†πŸ…πŸ₯•πŸ₯•πŸ₯©πŸ₯© pre-prepared the night before (we call them eskies in Australia!πŸ˜‚).
    I absolutely have the biggest appetite of any person I know, so my strategy has been to never ever go hungry but fill my plate to the brim with as many dark green veg and salad with every meal (no dressings!) but particularly for the biggest lunch meal and no carb veg either ie no potatoes, no bread. Doing this on FD500 twice a week has served me well. On NFD I eat a similar load of veg and salad and just add even more proteins than on FD days. FD days typically have sardines, salmon or chicken for protein and even more of the same on NFD. So, yes, I definitely eat the biggest meal at lunchtime and works well for me. Hope that answers your question πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜„… you can try moving your biggest meal to lunchtime for a couple of weeks to see if that works for you … but preparation is the key!πŸ˜πŸ˜€ BTW: filling up at a late lunch shuts down any afternoon snack attacks! Bonus!

cheerie dearies

If it’s not there, you can’t eat it 🌞🌞🌞

Day 26
    NFD. I am back! I need to keep in these forums and post daily for my own accountability. I did join the April challenge but I gave up and my weight keeps going up/down the same 2 kilos. I’m also finding it hard doing 18hours fast everyday. So starting again tomorrow on 5:2, wanting to do mondays and wednesdays fast days. I have basically been sick since end of May with covid and then the flu. But feeling good again!

Day 26: 16:8 CD

All is same, accountability βœ…

@linda.b hope you liked that recipe!

Gotta run here. Contretemps in the family.

Hi, everyone!

I’m back from my two-day convention and have all sorts of thoughts that may be helpful to me–and you??–as to why I’m eating the way I am so that I’m gaining weight rapidly. But right now I must finish getting ready for church and then I’m gone this afternoon to the ordination of the son of a pastor friend, so it’ll likely be tomorrow before I check in for real.

I look forward to reading all the chatter from the days I’ve been gone!

Carol

Day 26 – South Africa πŸ‡ΏπŸ‡¦ – FD

Well, it’s been the best kind of fast day; an unscheduled one! Hadn’t even planned to fast, but it suddenly got to 5:30 pm & I realised I hadn’t eaten a morsel So, yay me πŸ˜…

@fastingto58kgs – welcome back!

Hope everyone had, or is having a pleasant S🌞nday

Day 26 UK NFD

Made it up early to assemble cakes, wash hair and head out to church by 8.30 – that’s A Lot for me at that time of day but esp after this full week. I was so aware of my clothes fitting better that it gave me a confidence I’ve not had for a while. Lovely service, lovely party and cakes went down really well. There’s nothing like a bit of appreciation to make a day’s prep feel worth it – friends who don’t bake are always so grateful, and visitors who hadn’t expected there’d be cakes to fit their dietary requirements!

I waited until the very end then had the last myself – a square each of chocolate cake with chocolate ganache and strawberry and lemon cake with lemon glaze and blueberry. Delcious tho i say so myself and just the right size for a treat at 160 and 109 calories respectively. High protein:carb ratio meant I was nicely satiated – and even managed to swerve the prosecco in favour of decaf black coffee!

I’ve just had an early supper which felt like a veritable feast – half a baked sweet potato, corn on the cob, big salad and hard boiled eggs, followed by strawberries and blueberries with the last of the chocolate ganace from the cake, made from avocado/cacao/coconut oil/vanilla/maple syrup/light coconut milk. Total calories thus far today 1094 and feeling stuffed.

It feels weird to think how much my head has reset around food in just a month: I have no urge to snack in the evenings no matter how tired I am, I’m making healthy food choices – like just now, thinking that half a sweet potato would be plenty, and saved half for tomorrow, more mindful of my longer term goals and not trying to eat my feelings. I eat more slowly,a few bites then fork down usually while reading. If you’d told me this this time last month I wouldn’t have thought it possible, yet here I am 30 days later and it’s clicked. I’ve been unsuccessful in getting back on the waggon for 2 years yet here I am πŸ™‚

The challenge will be when i’m away from next Thursday. First up 6 days conference with packed 12 hour days on a university campus, then to stay with DD to help her after surgery. Hoping i’ve got my head into a good place and will stay away from the fuelling by sugar and late evening carb routine I’ve previously fallen into when v overtired or emotional.

@i-hate-lettuce hope you have survived the last day of Mrs IHL’s charity weekend and can now put your feet up. Well done both of you!

@linda.b yay for another drop and reaching the bottom of your maintenance window

@fastingto58kg welcome back and hope you feel better after covid and flu – that was bad luck! 5:2 is much easier to follow than every day a fast day; hope you find a rhythm that works for you

@stitchincarol welcome back from your weekend away & hope your church day has been a good one

@funshipfreddie yay for an unplanned FD – definite PFDS earned there πŸ˜€

Only 4 more days left of this challenge, so……. Who would like to host July?

Here’s what hosting involves:
    1. start a new topic in the Weight Loss tab
    2 copy and paste my first post from here
    3 edit for what you’d like to say about the July challenge… and off we go.
    4 There’s help with the spreadsheet if needed.
    5 Post every day if you can – especially at the beginning of the month to get things started, looking out for newbies and being generally encouraging

I’ve found it brilliant for getting me on track and keeping me there – perhaps helpful for someone who is struggling to get momentum, or whose mojo is lying low?
    Jump in – you won’t regret it!

Hi all – NFD today and I really surprised myself – had light breakfast, planning a day out with girl friends so cake and treats on the menu! We decided to visit the cafe when we arrived and I had black coffee and a cheese scone (so far, so good) just and really enjoyed it. No lunch as cafe crowded, instead hauled a trolley full of plants all day for friends (disabled) and then we stopped for cuppa & cakeon way out and I turned down cake – it looked delicious but I honestly wasn’t hungry. Got home late and had bowl of salad and hard boiled egg – realised I had not felt hungry all day – so, yay the FD are making a difference to my thinking about food – if not hungry, don’t eat it!

Day 27, FD, Aus

@linda.b – hope you remembered to buy the kettle among your other purchases! Don’t you love a well-timed good sale!

@michelinme, I’m happy to host July, if someone else can look after the spreadsheet. I am going to do Dry July so all the accountability I can gather will help make it a successful month.

Day 27 pocket list
    @penz

Day 26 – USA/GA – FD

Weigh-in: 214 lbs. Well, I thought I had posted this morning, but apparently not LOL

Fast day went well, now it’s 8 p.m. and time to wind down. Going up for a fun day with my brother and his kids in Helen, Ga., tomorrow, with its fake Bavarian themed shops and activities. It’s only an hour away, so the good thing is we can head home when we’re worn out πŸ™‚

@linda.b Thanks for the validation!
    @funshipfreddie Congrats for unexpected fasting!

Day 27 – Monday – Gold Coast Queensland Australia – FUN DAY (FD) 🎠🎠🎠🎠 round and round we go!

Last week of this challenge and my 2nd last FUN DAY (FD) for JUMP IN JUNE! 🎠🎠🎠🎠
    Here we go, galloping down the home stretch of the track…. everyone, are you with me? 🐴🐴🐴 Let’s JUST DO IT!

@funshipfreddie I’ve just completed my morning WORDLE followed by my morning GLOBLE. I really recommend GLOBLE to you… why? because, as you live in Africa, you will be across the 54 African countries that seem to dominate the answers for GLOBLE! Gosh, my trivia geographical knowledge has improved exponentially! πŸ€£πŸ˜‚πŸ˜ I once had a client from Lesotho, so was onto that in a flash when it came up in GLOBLE!

@mariaelena… I didn’t get to the supermarket until just before closing and they’d run out of chicken thighs as, apparently, they’d been on sale, so settled on the 2kg of remaining drumsticks. Then too tired to cook when came home! I’ll put it together today… probably will look different but will taste the same (or similar?) … also bought some kalamata olives to put with it. I’ve never been noted for sticking to recipes, more of a ‘free-range intuitive cook’ and treat recipes as a method and base to adapt (willy-nilly!) according to my pantry that day or my hankerings on the day! I bought 2 kg of drumsticks so will make two separate dishes, ready to pile into the freezer. Meals are always a surprise in this house! How did your dish turn out? Scrumptious I hope!πŸ˜‹πŸ˜‹

@penz – dry July…. good for you! Think of it like a ritual or habit and then just substitute the glass of wine with something else in that wine glass … I promise that a after a fortnight, you’ll have established a new habit and won’t even think about the wine too much …. but just reach for the lovely wine glass regardless of the non-alcoholic content. It’s very do-able!πŸ˜€πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜„ Glad you’ll be hosting too🦘🦘🦘

@michelinme – congratulations on your efforts (and hosting) this month.. you have really made a total re-set and on your way with I.F. … nothing holding you back now … good for you! 🀩🀩🀩

@stitchincarol – can’t wait for your update tomorrow! πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€

Enough for now…..

cheerie dearies

Manana – never feel deprived on FD … there’s always tomorrow for that treat IF YOU REALLY, REALLY, TRULY, TRULY WANT ITπŸ₯΄πŸ€ͺπŸ₯΄

Day 27 pocket list
    @penz
    @linda.b

Day 27 – Lake District UK – FD

Good morning everyone

A very successful fundraiser, what a great bunch of helpers as well! Mrs I-h-l and the gang ran a ‘pop up cafe’ for 3 days at the village hall which was one of the venues for a local art trail.
    It takes some setting up, but once done the gang arrived with all sorts of goodies it was all go, soups, big pots of home made pulled pork/spiced beans etc, plus cakes by the dozen. Local businesses and village shop (co-operative owned and run by the village and volunteers) donated milk/bread, sausages/bacon plus lots of other things.
    Last night time to close everything down, the ladies were packing and cleaning, the guys helped with putting tables chairs, removing bunting and banners, all done quickly and efficiently.
    It never ceases to amaze me how the people of this area give so much support to the Rosemere Cancer Foundation, but a lot have relatives or friends who have benefitted from their service, both Mrs I-h-l and I included.

So last night we sat with a glass in hand happily tired and a substantial sum of money raised, it was well worth the effort πŸ˜‰

Today a FD, although sampled a few pieces of cake over the weekend, hardly been still so doubt any damage done, but need to keep the eye on the ball!

@michelinme – Thanks for hosting this month, I’ll be finishing it as I started … absent, going to have a few days away R&R, ‘see you’ all next month πŸ˜‰

Take care everyone

Pocket list day 27
    @linda.b
    @i-hate-lettuce

Day 27, FD, Scotland

I had quite an excessive weekend, woops, but back on track today.

Lunch, Calorie Counted Beef Lasagne, 281 cals
    Dinner, Calorie Counted Piri Piri Chicken, 275 cals

Body attach after work

My friend has lost 20lbs in 2 months doing slimming world, and she does a WF the day before her weigh in. Her success has motivated me somewhat. Could I add a wee WF day into my week, im not sure, I may try it at some point. But I NEED to break the habbit of going overboard on my NFD’s.

@fastingto58kg’s I fast Mondays and Wednesdays too, what are you eating today? I just retstarted recently too and im just using ready meals and ready made salads, for the most part, with some veg & pickled veg chucked in too!

Day 27 – Ireland – FD βœ… πŸš«πŸšΆπŸ»β€β™€οΈ

Hi all

Ok a major reset required … an effort for the end of the month and the next two weeks before my holiday.
    Thanks for the shove @michelinme – it may have worked πŸ˜„

Onward and downward ⬇️

Pocket list Day 27
    @penz
    @linda.b
    @jaifaim
    @goal10kg
    @i-hate-lettuce

Day 27 UK FD

Thanks for volunteering for next month @penz , I’m going to try and get my act together for July πŸ’ͺ

Hope to make it 50 today @funshipfreddie

Pocket list Day 27
    @penz
    @linda.b
    @jaifaim
    @goal10kg
    @i-hate-lettuce
    @brightonbelle

Day 27 – Monday – Gold Coast Queensland Australia – FUN DAY (FD) 🎠🎠🎠🎠 round and round we go! – 2nd post

@mariaelena. just cooked the chicken drumsticks aka Greek Lemon chicken dish. Yummo! Turned out well, ate one serve and put half a dozen serves of it into the freezer for the coming weeks. πŸ˜›πŸ˜‹πŸ˜Š Did you enjoy your’s too?

Day 27 – South Africa πŸ‡ΏπŸ‡¦ – NFD

Major PFDS. & I’m below 73 kgs, for the first time in months!

Boo Boo’s just been for her annual vaccines; I’m not sure which of us was more traumatised. Just getting her in the cat carrier is a mission & a half. She doesn’t even like being picked up, let alone stuffed in a box 😳 Anyway, she’s all set for her flight now at the end of next month.

@linda.b – I really must try Globle again; I wasn’t too sure what I was doing the one time I tried it ages ago. Lesotho – I’ve been there a couple of times. It’s a tiny mountain kingdom, completely surrounded by South Africa. I used to live/work in a place called Thaba’Nchu (which means ‘Black Mountain’) not far from the border.

@i-hate-lettuce – bon voyage, again πŸ˜…

@penz – thanks for offering to host July πŸ™

@brightonbelle – good luck! I got it in three attempts today, #45 πŸ˜€

Sending RESOLVE to the Monday fasters πŸ’ͺ

“Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment.” ~ Jim Rohn

Day 27 – FD 800

@linda.b I adore that recipe, and several others from that chef and ours was scrumptious. Actually, I save all the fat we skim off the sauce and cook my veggies in it for days. So even though the chicken and potatoes are now a memory, the taste will delight me for many more meals.

Like you, @linda.b I am more of an intuitive cook. My DH insists on following a recipe to the letter – the first time he cooks it. But I’m free with substitution/addition/removal of ingredients at my taste bud and nutritional needs urging. Mostly I remove bell peppers (the most bitter taste to me and it infuses the whole dish with that bitterness) from recipes. But I love to substitute water chestnuts for celery (as i really don’t like celery strings), add in several servings of veg, or find substitutes for condiments that are produced with trans fats (like mayonnaise- who knew a ripe avocado could serve in tuna salads instead of Mayo? I didn’t until recently.) DH is more methodical and usually makes a single change at a time.

So, I got a early start, weather moved through last night and the morning was shockingly cool so I jumped out to get some hoop walking in. Although it has only been a month or so of hooping in the house, I was shocked at how hard I found hoop walking- as if my muscles all forgot. So I feel good about exercise today! Meeting with the trainer again tomorrow, and anticipating another SORE Tuesday afternoon, lol. It was funny, he asked me my goals, and all I could say was – be stronger? He laughed and said, yes he could help me with that. Then I said I wouldn’t mind looking better, but had no expectations being almost 60, and he replied β€˜we might surprise you’. So that WOULD be nice. πŸ˜€

@funshipfreddie I know how the carrier struggle goes! My empathy and the only recommendation I have is to get carriers that have an opening on top as well as a side door. 2/4 of our cats would be a never ending struggle if not for the top opening.

Even tho I started early – got to run- lots of errands including picking up garlic powder. How a household can run out of garlic powder, I can’t imagine, but we managed it – to my dismay. A staple on my roasted veg, outside of baked potatoes, and in a dipping mix my husband puts together, we need that replaced pronto! We live a couple of miles from a spice purveyor- they do big internet business now but have been in business locally here for 50+ years. Open only in the mornings for customers to drop by, and one of my favourite shopping places, you can not imagine how good the place smells!

Pocket list Day 27
    @penz
    @linda.b
    @jaifaim
    @goal10kg
    @i-hate-lettuce
    @brightonbelle
    @mariaelena

Day 27 UK FD

Just under 182lb again this morning, hoping I can firm up the ‘under 13 stone’ by Friday’s weigh day – which will be the month end/new month beginning. Wherever I end up I’ll be aiming to lose 5lb in July for the double-bonus goal of 170-something lbs and 70-something kgs. That should keep me motivated in my 3 weeks away at conference/w DD.

Feeling a bit puffier after yesterday’s indulgence. I pottered about repotting and planting out until it got too dark to see then had some post-gardening popcorn. Unlike pre-5:2 it was a sensible 40g airpopped in the microwave with melted vegan butter added afterwards.

I’ve got leftovers for today – half a baked sweet potato, 2 hard boiled eggs, corn on the cob – plus stir fried pak choi, mushrooms and cauliflower. It’s been grey and cool with thunderstorms the last few hours tho brightening up now so hot food feels like a good idea. Thus far I’ve had not two decaff black coffees, a marmite tea and 500ml water – lots more water or herbal tea needed. Planning to eat by 6pm, have a warm bath and zzz early. I have to be up early as fence builders start at 8am the next three days and I want to be ahead of the day before the banging starts!

@penz thank you for offering to host July – that’s epic! I guarantee it will help you to keep on track with your goals
    @northgeorgia hope you have a great day out
    @linda.b thank you for your encouragement! I love all your motivational quotes πŸ™‚
    @i-hate-lettuce the pop up cafe sounds amazing – well done Mrs IHL! Hope you have a great time away – where are you off to this time?
    @jaifaim hope FD feels downhill today – as in, goes quickly and easily!
    @funshipfreddie woop woop for 73kg! Glad you & the cat both survived the vet appt πŸ™‚
    @mariaelena my mouth is watering at the thought of your spice purveyor – and garlic powder on baked potatoes – I must try that. Good luck with the training session!

Just three more days of Jump In June challenge left – but this is where I started the May challenge and now I’m 7lbs down. So if you are lurking – Jump In! It’ll give you a running start for July πŸ™‚

Pocket list Day 27
    @penz
    @linda.b
    @jaifaim
    @goal10kg
    @i-hate-lettuce
    @brightonbelle
    @mariaelena
    @michelinme

Day 27 – UK – FD
    Decided on an impromptu FD as going on holiday tomorrow – so far so good – unfortunately brilliant sunshine woke me at 5.30 am so it’s going to be a long day … Skipped breakfast as that always seems to work best for me and kept myself busy in the morning walking the dog for an hour and then cutting grass paths and planting out the last of the wild flower plugs in the orchard – it will look lovely once we get some rain. Decided that although it was a FD, no need to be miserable about food so sliced up a couple of large beef tomatoes, grabbed a big handful of rocket, added some very thinly sliced and diced goats cheese (about 20g) and a tspn of balsamic – could only eat half before I felt full so stopped. Planning chicken breast wrapped in wafer thin slice of ham, baked in oven, and pile of green veggies from the allotment. If I keep busy with packing and cleaning the house, the time WILL fly by (I hope). Really found these postings give me encouragement to continue – thanks everyone!

Day 27 – Rural Nebraska, USA – FD500

A usual FD500 for me is OMAD, like @funshipfreddie in that I don’t eat until 6pm. When I finally eat, I have some fish or other frozen protein that has calories listed on the label, and also steamed veggies. Simple, right? Except that I haven’t eaten such simple and minimal food very often in a very, very long time. And that’s where my thoughts have led me in my struggle to figure out what’s going on.

I was being far too restrictive for a while there, and while I was succeeding at it M-Th, I was going nuts on F-Su and undoing all my excellent progress. So in May or thereabouts, I decided to just eat like a normal person, and planned to start 5:2 in the usual way shortly thereafter. However, two things interfered with my plans: life and an appetite like nobody’s business! Too many things were happening for a usual 5:2, and I couldn’t stop eating. Wait…”could” I have? Well, I suppose so. But I didn’t find the RESOLVE, and didn’t even make much effort to hunt for some. And now, after hovering around 141-143 on most days back in March and April and even into May, I’m now hovering around 150-152.

WHAT HAPPENED?????

Perhaps the most awful part of all this is that I’m not even horrified to my core. I’m disappointed, I’d rather weigh ten pounds less, and I’m not at all happy with what a big belly I suddenly have and how snug my clothes are becoming, but mostly I’m just busy living my life. So I have been thinking endlessly about what’s going on, and I’ve recognized a cycle:

I get through the first two-thirds of the day–like, until 3 or 4 in the afternoon–and then I’m suddenly determined to eat lovely foods and drink interesting beverages. I never have already cooked the things I want, so I settle for nuts, cheese, bread with PB and jam, leftovers…anything I can find. (Recall, I hunted up the leftover Christmas cookies that had been in my deep freeze–ignored!–since December!) By six o’clock, I’ve made supper and eaten with gusto. I’ve probably opened a bottle of wine, and am in the process of drinking a bit more than my share. Finally, by seven if I’m lucky, or closer to nine if I’m not, I’m done eating. I start to realize I’m getting a headache from the wine–typical–and feeling uncomfortable in my gut. I don’t sleep well because of how much food is in me, and wake up disgusted with myself because I ate TOO, TOO much.

And several days ago, it hit me. I’m eating no more than I ate when I was, say, 32 years old. So back in May when I decided to eat “normally”? I HAVE BEEN. But, “normal” for when I was 32, not now that I’m 63. I’ve never really understood on a truly visceral level that I simply don’t need the same amount of food now as I did when I was younger, and if I eat what used to be typical, I’ll feel miserable.

Am I the only one who’s never truly understood this?

Last night, DH and I were an hour from home at suppertime, so we went out to eat at a pizza place, and ordered the smallest size they had, an 8″…the size many would consider a personal size, for one person. We both would have been happy to eat that much again, because it was really good and our mouths wanted more…but we weren’t in the least hungry by then, and it was enough.

So, this L.O.N.G. chatter is to explain the epiphany I’ve undergone. I’ve been overeating without any real thought for how I’d feel in the morning, because when I was 32, I could eat like that and not suffer any consequences. Now I do, because I’m not 32.

Which is all a very long way of saying, “Losing weight is a mind game: if you can get your mind on board, you’ll be fine.” So now begins the process of no longer fighting the aging process, but embracing my age as reality. Hah. Won’t be fun, but I guess it’s the right step! 🀣🀣

I’m going to post this, and then start reading all the posts I’ve missed in the days I’ve been gone.

2nd post

@stitchincarol HOW true!! My eyes, my mouth, my mind want the serving sizes I enjoyed when younger. But If I let myself, I will feel it physically- and not in a good way. Even 10 years ago, DH and I might have each enjoyed the serving size we now both share.

I try to eat much slower. More small size mouthfuls to allow the tastes longer to spend on my tongue. That does help me.

Also, for some (not me at the moment) it seems that getting in a good lunch, allows the body to enjoy a very light supper and helps quench those night time snacking desires. Have you compared how you feel on a nice lunch day vs how you feel in the skip lunch day?

Just some thoughts.

Second post

@jaifaim So glad your dangling experience worked to your benefit!! 🀣🀣 I wonder who I’ll dangle in front of me today???

@fastingto58kgs Such a bummer that you’ve been sick for so long! Hopefully, everything turns around quickly now and you’re finally on the mend.

@funshipfreddie Wow. Just wow. An unplanned FD???? Very impressive!

@gardenlily Welcome to our group. I’m also a quilter, and have plans to quilt away my hunger over the next few weeks! Thanks for adding on the usual header to today’s post. And, nice story about how you managed to eat so little even on an NFD! Great story, and your food for today sounds absolutely wonderful.

@penz Yay for you for stepping up to host July!

@i-hate-lettuce Have a lovely time on your well-deserved trip after that successful cancer fundraiser!

@funshipfreddie Ooooo–great quote! β€œDiscipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment.” ~ Jim Rohn

@mariaelena Yup, a big lunch makes it easy to skip supper entirely, or at least eat little, and that was my plan for June, but life has interfered, and DH hasn’t been cooperating, LOL. He agreed at the end of May that he’d be happy to make lunch our main meal, but between the days when I’m simply not around to do that, and all the rest of the days when HE’S not around to do that, it hasn’t worked. Someday….

The quilt show I helped set up on Thursday was so wonderful. The quilt that got Best of Show was absolutely amazing, as was the quilt that got the ribbon for Best Longarm Quilting…jaw dropping, both of them. I was thrilled that I got two ribbons on my three entered quilts. This was the first year since 2017 that we’ve been home and able to enter quilts, so my fingers are crossed that I’ll be around next year also!

Pocket list Day 27
    @penz
    @linda.b
    @jaifaim
    @goal10kg
    @i-hate-lettuce
    @brightonbelle
    @mariaelena
    @michelinme
    @stitchincarol

Day 27 USA (Illinois) NFD

Just popping on to say hello. I’m doing fine, still at maintenance (albeit HIGH maint – like me).

@funshipfreddie – every so sorry to read the news of the horrendous loss of life at your South African club, 22 young people dead now. Prayers to your people there, especially the families of those who lost their lives. May they discover the cause soon.

Onward and downward.

Day 28, NFD, Aus

Getting into the right mindset, slowly. Usually for lunch I just pack last night’s leftovers (OH does the same) which is usually protein/carb focused. Instead, I made myself a big salad for today and I’m so looking forward to it. Your impromptu FD salad sounds divine. My excuse (and it is an excuse) is that OH does the grocery shopping so I just eat what he does. However, if I put something on the shopping list, he’ll buy it, so I need to start planning means that I want to eat (heavy on the vegies, less so on the carrots/potatoes that he seems to favour).

Day 28 – Tuesday– Gold Coast Queensland Australia – (NFD) 🦘🦘🦘🦘

Nice to see 9 on the pocket list for Monday’s FUN DAY (FD) …. Hope it went well for everyone…… we seem to be generating some new enthusiasm from each other this week …. THAT’S FANTASTIC πŸ“’πŸ“’πŸ“’. Go us!πŸ””πŸ””πŸ””πŸ””

I enjoyed the Greek Lemon chicken (albeit no potatoes, just the chicken!) last night and have siphoned some into the freezer for upcoming meals. I served it with, you guessed, salad! Nothing as perfect as @gardenlily‘s home grown salad of beef tomatoes, rocket, very thinly sliced diced goat cheese (about 20g) and tspn of balsamic…. Truly @gardenlily I want to come live in your garden! If you see a tent set-up there… it will be me!

@stitchincarol…. I hear you… it’s so hard but I know you can do it and 5:2 is definitely the way to start…. I followed it twice (2019 & now 2022) and it works like magic (and mathematics) … just have to watch the NFDs. I eat minimum 3 meals a day, always(!), on FD and NFD…. making sure I bulk up on dark green veg at every single meal so I never go hungry. Visualise how good you will feel at the end of July if you follow the simple 5:2 plan…. we don’t need WFDs, OMADs and 18:6s… just follow the simple 5:2 plan, it works. I think sometimes we overthink things but the KISS philosophy really is the way to do this. YOU CAN DO IT!

Busy week ahead, so must tootle alongπŸš‚πŸš‚πŸš‚

cheerie dearies

Make a CHOICE to take a CHANCE …. or your life will never CHANGE. It’s your body and your choice. JUMP IN AND JUST DO IT!🌞🌞🌞🌞

Day 28- NFD. NZ
    Looking forward to FD tomorrow πŸ˜€

Day 28. NFD. NZ

Trying to be mindful everyday and thinking am I hungry or am I bored or am I stressed. I would say being overweight comes from emotional eating (for me anyway). Hoping to really make a difference this year. Sick of being uncomfortable! FD tomorrow πŸ˜€

Day 28 – Ireland – FD βœ… πŸš«πŸšΆπŸ»β€β™€οΈ

Hi all

FD scuppered yesterday but had a CD instead. Weight heading ⬇️ again.

Today will be a FD.

Although I am already hungry. Not good πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Welcome back @fastingto58kgs and hello @fastingnurse and @gardenlily. Welcome πŸ€— to a great place for encouragement and support.

Three. More.. Days we can do it πŸ’ͺ

Onward and downward ⬇️

Pocket list Day 28
    @jaifaim

Day 28 – South Africa πŸ‡ΏπŸ‡¦ – NFD

@fastingnurse – welcome!

@mariaelena – I found a new technique on You Tube! My carrier opens top & side too. Last time, I tried the old catnip trick, but she wasn’t falling for that again. So I stood the carrier on its end, with the little door open. I picked up the cat, & holding her back legs with the other hand, slowly lowered her into the carrier back legs first. By the time she realises what’s happening, voila! I put some rubber gloves on, just in case she tried to take a chunk out of me, but I don’t think I needed them.

@songbirdme – yes, a tragic loss of such young lives, just out celebrating the start of the winter break. And they still don’t seem to know the cause. And now a horrible tragedy in Texas with 46 migrants found dead in a truck?!

@linda.b – I tried the Globle puzzle again, & got it in 7!

@fastingto58kgs – I NEVER look forward to a fast day, but I’ve got a dentist appointment tomorrow, so I think I’ll be joining you. Last FD for Jump in June!

Successful people are simply those with successful habits.
    ~ Brian Tracy

Day 28 – USA/GA – OMAD

Weigh-in: 215 lbs. Yesterday’s trip to the mountains was nice, and as my brother’s family heads further north for a week-long trip (some of us have to work, boo!!), we had pizza and sweets late last night, so I knew the effects wouldn’t be pretty this morning. Anyway, going to do an OMAD lunch today, then a FD tomorrow (that’s the plan).

Take care!

USA. Day 28. FD

Still hanging in there at maintenance weight. Adding myself to the pocket list today!

Pocket list Day 28
    @jaifaim
    @ccco

Have a great day!

Day 28, NFD, Scotland

My fast day went well yesterday. But the low calorie lasagne was HORRIBLE!!! Wont be buying that again!

I tried on a couple of new dresses I had hidden away in the wardrobe (as you do), and dare i say i was looking a bit slimmer, could that be possible, i sure hope so!

Body attack tonight after work and try avoid stopping off at the bevy shop πŸ™‚ I’ve got my meals all set for tomorrow and its ones I know I enjoy.

See you all tomorrow.

Day 28 UK NFD

Yes @stitchincarol I’m going through a similar phase . I know we’ll get back on track but it really is being able to get in the right mindset πŸ’ͺ

Day 28 – Rural Nebraska, USA – WFD

Well, I did it, and stuck to my FD500 yesterday! It was slightly unconventional in that my usual steamed veggies turned into leftover steamed cauliflower with grated cheese melted on top. We had that last Wednesday and haven’t been home since then to eat them, and the leftovers really needed eating before they needed throwing out, so I thoroughly enjoyed a far more indulgent veggie than I typically do. But there wasn’t much cheese on the leftovers, so I think I still managed to be at 500 or so. it required FOUR cans of the sparkling water I’ve discovered, and FIVE pieces of gum to get through the evening, LOL, but I did it. Now to do a WF today, and I’ll feel glorious and virtuous tomorrow. The day is full of piano lessons to teach, and I really am too busy to stop to eat until they’re all done, so it’ll be a piece of cake (hah! LOL) to get through the day, and then it’ll be far too late to eat, so for now at least, I’m sticking to water fasts on Tuesday…it helps that I truly love the one day each week I do it, and it certainly speeds up the weight-loss process.

@songbirdme Good to hear you’re good and maintaining; you’re one busy woman these days!

@penz Isn’t it silly how hard it is to work ourselves into planning helpful meals, such as your salad for lunch? You’re further along the process than I am, but after figuring out I can no longer eat like a 32 year old, I’m making progress on the right mindset.

@fastingnurse Welcome! It’s always exciting when a newbie just pops in, does the correct heading of the post, and is planning to join us! I read Jason Fung’s “The Obesity Code” last year (and HIGHLY recommend it as both easy and fascinating reading where you’ll learn bunches) and he makes the comment that how hungry you are on a FD is no hungrier than you are on an NFD right before you sit down to a meal, so with that knowledge, he says, you can be encouraged to power through a FD. And, all of us on this forum have noted that, often, we’re not actually hungry as thirsty, and a good long drink of water does the trick. Hope that helps!

@funshipfreddie Wow, mysterious deaths, indeed, and so very tragic…as are the deaths of the 46 migrants, and those on the Amtrak train that derailed yesterday, not to mention the Ukraine horrors…so very much tragedy in this world.

@ccco It’s so delightful that you’re continuing in maintenance so well! Are you finding it challenging?

@goal10kgs Re your low-calorie lasagna, as my mom used to say, “We eat to live; we don’t live to eat.” I use that line any time I try a new recipe and we’re not impressed with it. It also is useful when I get distracted and overcook or even burn a recipe we love, LOL.

Pocket list Day 28
    @jaifaim
    @ccco
    @stitchincarol WF

Day 28 – 16:8

Weigh-in day shows weight stable at 128.5. That is nearer the top of the maintenance range I have in my head than the bottom (125-129) so I’m nervous every time I weigh myself. But it looks like two 800 days a week will have to be my maintenance plan. I’m uncertain if strength training is making an effect, I’d like to think I’m succeeding at a body recomposition but that may just be wishful thinking as I have no evidence to support that thought. I am putting in considerable effort to getting enough protein- from a variety of sources, while keeping up the fiber intake and minimizing processed carbs.

But the past few weeks I have been so very hungry. Much more so than when losing those extra tens of pounds. Body rebelling from my 10 month weight loss? Body telling me, yes, if you want to build muscle I need fuel? πŸ€·πŸ½β€β™€οΈ I have been careful to supply the body a fiber rich or protein rich meal or snack when those hunger feelings threaten to overwhelm. And of course, correlation does not imply causation so who knows.

I have noticed, and here I do attribute a causative effect, that I need a certain amount of satiating carbs, pretty much daily, or I am grumpy, and hangry. Most every day I have a baked potato. On 800 days it is a small one with minimal butter, to be sure, but for my body, that potato sure seems necessary.

In fact, I have a baked potato ritual. First, 6 minutes in the microwave. Then lightly oil the skin, add onion and garlic powder and a light sprinkle of salt to the skin and bake for 25-45 minutes depending on size. Then cool it down and refrigerate. (To maximize resistant starch) the next day reheat in microwave for a perfect fluffy potato to accompany a fiber rich and protein rich meal. I’m sure this is probably more of a mental soothing practice rather than a nutritional one, but it works for me.

I wanted to reply to several of you, but some things got out of hand here and I’m due at the gym. So I send warm safe vibes and thoughts to all and will try to check in later.

Day 28 – UK Cambs – NFD
    Well, yesterday’s FD went well, although the greens with chicken breast for dinner turned into roasted cauliflower (you know the problem – limp cauli lurking at back of veg drawer) and WOW it tasted wonderful.

If you’ve never tried it here’s how: chop cauliflower into small florets or cut larger chunks up (you can slice a whole cauli instead but I just had left-over bits). Pop into oven dish, couple of sprays with 1-cal oil and dust with smoked paprika, fresh ground black pepper, sprinkle of salt and then a splash (go easy!!) of dark soy sauce and then pop into hot oven and roast until dark brown (can even be black at edges) – it takes about 20 mins (same time as chicken breasts) and is sooooo good. Admittedly TJ wanted to know why I was piling my plate with ‘burnt offerings’ but, hey, I enjoyed it. Give it a try and you might be surprised.

Anyway, jumped on scales this morning and so far lost 3lb on the regime (won’t call it a diet, coz that’s such a negative word) in 3 weeks so really pleased. Off on hols tonight so will try to be good and not undo all the hard work. 3 days at the seaside, temptation at every turn.

Mental note for when I get back home – don’t harvest raspberries on an FD! The sight of a grown woman drooling is not nice …

I shall look out for the tent on the back lawn – the huge hairy labrador might pay you a visit so hide those cookies!

Probably my last post this month so keep up the good work everyone – if you believe you can do it, you will.

Day 28 UK FD?

Yesterday came in at just over 600 calories which will do me. Weighed in at 181lb again this morning but feeling my clothes fitting better is a great PFD feeling.

Entirely unplanned extra FD today after full-on day from 8am to now. I’ve had a hot marmite tea, water and decaf black coffee plus a lot of meetings and email/socials to do. No idea what i’m going to have for supper but if i keep it under 800 calories i’ll be fasting – sprinting for the finish line at the end of June.

I think i might be burning fat now as all the weird cell reset symptoms that i used to get when first fasting are come upon me again – burning pain in joints, muscles, nerves plus super clear head and extra energy

@gardenlily – your yesterday sounds idyllic! I also love roast cauliflower and thank you for your recipe. Congrats on steady weight loss on this way of eating – I hope you have a wonderful holiday.

@stitchincarol your quilt show sounds amazing – congratulations on your wonderful results. Thank you for sharing your mind reset and congrats on yesterday’s FD!

@penz yay for mindful salad box today – glad your mind is coming back round again. Hopefully July hosting will get you firmly facing forward

@linda.b great encouragement and helpful reminder of stick to the basics – thank you!

@fastingnurse welcome! I was the same – lots of emotional eating and late night snacking when tired. But this way of eating really works wonders: I feel completely reset in just the last 4 weeks. I hope you have a good FD tomorrow

@jaifaim a CD is a win, and great to know your weight is on the way down. Hope today’s FD has gone well!

@ccco good to hear from you and glad maintenance weight is sticking πŸ™‚

@goal10k Well done! I’m certainly finding clothes are fitting far better than the amount of weight loss would indicate; my fat suit is shrinking πŸ™‚

@mariaelena thank you for the reminder re resistant starch from cooling and reheating carbs – i’d forgotten that

Okay, time for veg pot watering and supper…. popping myself on the pocket list for accountability. Tomorrow I’ll be glad I did!

Pocket list Day 28
    @jaifaim
    @ccco
    @stitchincarol WF
    @michelinme

Day 29, NFD, Aus

NOT helpful peeps! I am a ZBC member and here I am reading about perfectly cooked fluffy baked potatoes (thanks @mariaelena); golden roasted cauliflower (looking at you @gardenlily), pizza and sweets (gee, @northgeorgia, hands up!) and the mention of cake (that’s you, @stitchincarol). In. Excruciating. Detail.

Sigh. I’m going to have to change my posting routine and NOT read posts in the morning as this has just set off the hunger dragon and I am usually never hungry before about 11.30am!

On a more serious note, I’ll set up the July pages later today which will help claw back my resolve.

[And thanks for the giggle, @funshipfreddie. The mental image of you β€˜armed’ with rubber gloves trying to wrestle poor Boo Boo into her crate was great.]

Happy Wednesday everyone!

Day 28 Ohio, US — NFD

Phew! Today has been the first semi-normal day after a few rough days. Friday through Monday were spent mostly in bed. Between the infection and the antibiotics my system was hit pretty hard. The antibiotics were really doing a number on my digestive system, so Sunday I went on a low-fiber diet and that has helped somewhat. Yesterday the endodontist changed the antibiotic to a stronger one and that seems to be responsible for the half-way decent day today.

The mirror tells me that I’ve gained some weight, but I’m not going to do a weigh-in until I recover enough to be able to do something to correct matters. Merely getting bad numbers and not being able to make corrections doesn’t seem to be all that helpful.

@mariaelena Resistant starch is definitely a friend! Another trick I use to add resistant starch to the diet is to freeze the bread that I use for sandwiches, then thaw it and toast it when I make a sandwich. That process also lowers the glycemic index of the bread, so sandwich bread can become a lower GI carb.

@stitchincarol No longer eating like a 32 year old? I have trouble not eating like a 5 year old!

@funshipfreddie I once had a Maltese who hated to be confined. I got him a new carrier and put his bedding in it and he went right in and snuggled in with his head held high just like a little prince. I felt so guilty, because the little prince didn’t realize that his new castle had a gate that swung shut!

Day 29, FD, Scotland

Well I didnt manage to avoid stopping at the bevy shop after the gym last night but hey ho. Back on it today.

Lunch – Crunchy & Fragrant Sweet Chilli Chicken Noodle Salad, 288 cals
    Dinner – Calorie Counted Piri Piri Chicken, 275 cals

Body combat after work then an early night.

Day 29 – USA/GA – NFD

Weigh-in: 211 lbs. Yesterday’s OMAD turned into a WFD! Yay! That means I need to ensure tomorrow is an OMAD to get me to the holiday weekend.

I’ve read up on @stitchincarol and her epiphany, and it’s something I’m working hard on, too. Sounds like we all need a pep talk — look how far we have come already! We are amazing people and we fret over a few pounds in a way that seems ridiculous, but with that same mentality that helps us get back on track immediately where others surrender. That’s what makes this a WOL as opposed to a fad diet.

I tell myself that I didn’t gain all this weight in a year or two, so it’s OK if it all doesn’t come off in a year or two, either. I’ve probably lost only about 10 lbs this year, so I’m waiting out the plateau, and experimenting with new things to see if I can wiggle things down while keeping the other lessons in mind: not depriving myself too much so I binge, not overdoing the carbs, keeping away from heavy evening meals when possible, not snacking, increasing good fats and proteins, eating for my age, taking some exercise, increasing water, etc. And no, I don’t do all of those things all of the time, but I do try whenever possible! The weight loss will start its downward trend again for us all, even those of us struggling at the moment.

I won’t meet my target this month, but I’m looking forward to great things in July!

Viewing 50 posts - 301 through 350 (of 376 total)

You must be logged in to reply.