Jump in June! – June 2022 Monthly Challenge

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Jump in June! – June 2022 Monthly Challenge

This topic contains 366 replies, has 26 voices, and was last updated by  ccco 1 year, 9 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 376 total)

• Welcome to Jump In June, the latest Monthly Challenge! I’m delighted to be hosting this month to keep me on track after a while away. So whether 5:2 is new to you, you’ve fallen off the waggon and want to start again or you are a fabulous fasting poster person – Jump In!

The monthly challenge is a friendly space to share support and encouragement on our journey to healthier lives. It was started by @coda in May 2016 and has helped so many of us with amazing support on our 5:2 journey. Here’s how it works:

1. Brief introduction – helps us to get to know each other, especially helpful for newbies. Perhaps say something about where you started, journey so far, what you’re aiming for or how you are benefiting from fasting. You might like to include your starting weight or your goals for the month.

2. Spreadsheet – @at is going to post this month’s spreadsheet below. It’s in alphabetical order by username. You can use it to record & track your progrress as well as keeping track of how others are doing. It can help with perspective, accountability or planning. And if you need help just ask – there’s always someone happy to help.

3. Posting – Start each post with the date, where you are, and if you’re on a fast day (FD), non-fast day (NFD) or controlled day (CD). We’re all over the world and in different time zones so it helps us keep track of which day we’re talking about, who else is fasting etc. Eg I’ll start with Day 1 UK FD

4. Frequency – Some people post daily, others check in every few days. Some are brief, others are long & chatty. There can be 40 of us in a challenge so we mostly check in once a day – that can be great for external accountability! If you‘re posting for a second time please head your post eg Day 1 second post

5. Content – Comments or questions, complaints or celebration – anything you’d like to share with the forum. Recipes, tips, tricks & bright ideas are always welcome. Remember: we all have good days and bad days, days we fall off the wagon or days when we are hanging on by our fingernails. So DON’T GIVE UP – whatever it is, you are not alone!

6. Community – This is a worldwide forum so there’s usually someone online. We all do our best to offer advice, support and solidarity.

7. Pocket lists – Over the course of the monthly challenges, small groups have added their own mini-challenges. A ‘pocket list’ is a group who’ve set themeselves a target and are supporting each other through it, mostly by knowing we’re not alone. Anyone can join one a pocket list or start a pocket list for a FD – it’s entirely optional and flexible.

8. 5:2 basics – answers to many FAQs plus top tips:
    https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/ 🙂

As this month’s host I’ll aim to read the posts & respond each day tho sometimes life intervenes. But this is a fabulous space and once we get going we tend to look after each other. Here’s to a helpful and hopeful month together!

“Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.” So Jump In!

ABBREVIATION LIST – a guide to common abbreviations

Common abbreviations used throughout this challenge and added to on an ongoing basis:
    16:8 – 16 hours fast 8 hours non fast
    5:2 – 5 days NFD:2 days IF
    ADF – Alternate Day Fasting (FD – NFD – FD – etc. etc. etc.…….)
    B2B – Back to Back (consecutive FDs)
    BMR – Basal metabolic Rate
    CFD – Controlled Fast Day (a FD below your goal weight TDEE, whatever that is!!!)
    DH, DD, DS – Darling Husband Daughter, Son
    DTF – Dry ‘Til Fri (for those limiting the booze to weekend only ………….. & aiming for sainthood!!!!)
    EE – Emotional Eating (reflex grazing out of a need for instant comfort instead of satisfying hunger)
    EFS – Epic Face Stuffing (we’ve all had one of those days. Definitely due to a faulty OFF button!)
    FD – Fast Day (500 cals)
    HUNGER DRAGON – that dreadful psychological beast that sometimes cannot be satisfied. Some people even name theirs (e.g. @i-hate-lettuce has an inner warthog!)
    IF – Intermittent Fasting
    Keto – way of eating that generates Ketones
    K.I.S.S. – Keep It Simple Stupid!!!………………or Sexy!!!
    LC – Low Carb way of eating
    LCHF – Low Carb High Fat way of eating
    LFD – Liquid Fast Day (incl. tea, coffee, miso, bone broth & water)
    LOL – Laughing Out Loud
    M/WOAM – Man/Woman on a Mission (courtesy of @i-hate-lettuce)
    MFD – Modified Fast Day (800 cals) on the new Fast800, it’s a FD
    NFD – Non Fast Day
    OH – Other Half (eg spouse/partner)
    OMAD – One Meal A Day
    PFDS – Post FD Smugness (courtesy of @penz)
    POCKET LIST – Names to “keep in your pocket” for a common goal for the day
    TDEE – Total Daily Energy Expenditure (see the ‘how it works’ link on the home page to work out yours)
    TRE – Time Restricted Eating
    WFD – Water Fast Day (Water only)
    WFH – Working From Home ……………….. Covid-19 enforced!!!
    WOL – Way of Life
    WOCA – Women Of a Certain Age
    ZBC – Zero Breakfast Club

@michelinme – Thank you so much for stepping up to host us – Loving the tittle “Jump in June!”

I’m definitely in as need the support and motivation that these group challenges offer

See below for a link to the spreadsheet for those who want to use – hopefully I have given the right permission for all to access and edit their lines

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1aTgyy8OkDWzXfvtpQkHGzg7iuJcNsUDmJTCCQIAohTQ/edit?usp=sharing

USA.

Michelinme and everyone, see you in June!

@at welcome & thank you for the spreadsheet – all working well

@ccco glad to be with you again – and well done in your May result!

Thanks @michelinme, I am here as usual, see you in June!

Hello from a new member. Pittsburgh Pennsylvania USA
    This is a FD for me, on the 5:2 regimen.
    I’m just delighted to realize how well this diet works – in 6 months I’ve lost (why do we say LOST??? I know exactly what happened!) 21 pounds American.
    BUT I’ve been struggling for 3 weeks, with either no loss or .6 pounds GAINED. 🤬
    Is this a dreaded wall? Any others with the same trouble? I’m thinking I need to tighten up my NF days.
    Advice appreciated. 😘

@michelinme – count me in please, & thanks again for hosting!

@at – thanks for the spreadsheet

I’m here!! Thanks @michelinme and @at for your consistent and helpful work!

@hollymcg – you will find excellent support on these monthly challenges. Our peeps are incredibly helpful and insightful!

Day 0 – Rural Nebraska, USA – WFD

I’m in for June…I definitely need the “Jump” it will give me!

@hollymcg Welcome to this terrific group! You sound like you’re at a plateau, and it can be tempting to think you have to switch things up, and that may be the answer…but it’s also true that you may simply need to be more patient and then you’ll experience a “whoosh,” which is actually a proven thing. Go check out the link in the introductory post and you’ll find all sorts of interesting and helpful information there!

Thanks, @michelinme, for hosting June!

Day 0 – second post

Was reading in the Circadian Rhythm group and found this link; interesting stuff, but I’m still resistant to the idea of breaking my fast in the morning, as food then makes me feel awful, as a general rule. Right now it’s 9:40am and the idea of eating anything at all, other than drinking black coffee, is repulsive. So I won’t become a regular am-breakfast-eater any time soon, LOL.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20190304-how-meal-timings-affect-your-waistline

Day 0 UK

Welcome to Jump In June!
    lovely to be with you again @daffodil2010 @funshipfreddie
    @songbirdme – welcome back from holiday!
    @stitchincarol – thanks for link

@hollymcg Welcome! Plateaux happen – our weight loss stalls and it seems that nothing is changing. it’s particularly hard after the steady speedy progress of the first 6 months. But fasting is always doing something helpful tho it’s not always what we measure or are aware of. I remember going down 3 dress sizes in 3 months while not losing a single pound! Keeping a food diary on NFD can help us notice any changes and get back on track. But keep going and hold fast – you’ve got this!

Day 1 Melb Aust NFD

Actually, it’s just after midnight, so really really early on day 1 – most of you are well and truly still on Day 0.

@michelinme, I’m in for June. I’m quietly trundling along and happy with a loss of 7.4 kg over the past 5 months. I’ve finally got a 7 at the front of my (kg) weight instead of an 8. Time for you to join me!

@stitchincarol, I need to read the article you posted as I’ve been a bit concerned that though the weight has been coming off, my waistline is larger than previously. It may be the timing of my meals. I’ll read it then see what I may need to change.

Bio: 72 year old single, retired female doing some post-retirement study in a household ruled by ginger tabby cat Wilbur. I need to lose weight for health reasons, plus to generally feel better.

Onward and downwards for June!

Day 01 – Wednesday -Gold Coast Queensland Australia – NFD 🎈🎈🎈🎈🎈

So, I now officially have .7kg + an extra 1kg (wriggle room) to lose in Jump in June! Doesn’t sound like much but, the closer I am to my goal, the harder it is to whack that last bit of fat off the planet🏌️‍♀️🏌️‍♀️ So my big RESOLVE is to continue with my plan and SUCCEED this month. Then onto WOL maintenance to make sure I don’t let it all creep back on.
    My RESOLVE is higher this morning than yesterday, a new month, a new start! Amazing what a little drop can inspire and hope that dreaded plateau 😡😠😡 doesn’t show up again.
    For the newbies, I started my mission on 1st February to lose overall 10-11 kg (the 11th kg is for wriggle room!) by Easter…. but still going. I’ve now lost 9.3 kg; I am following 5:2 Mondays & Thursdays (FD-FUN DAYS) and am rigidly keeping to my plan. NFDs are mindful eating ie not over the top EFS – Epic Face Stuffing. My magic weapon for JUMP IN JUNE! is to resume exercise (walking) which was lacking during the last few months because of the endless RAIN. This is strange for me as I’m an avid walker but have lost my mojo lately to get out there and stomp my trekking paths.
    I’ve actually done the 5:2 in 2019 and successfully lost 11 kg in 11 weeks, maintained for a year and then failed to follow through with the 6:1 maintenance WOL. Silly me because 6:1 just isn’t that hard but you obviously need to stick with it. The upshot was the fat just came back…. it’s not rocket science and totally my own fault.
    I am a lady of a certain age (WOCA), still working, newly single again and rebuilding my life after some very significant changes. I have set myself some REWARDS to inspire my RESOLVE to a) stick rigidly to the 5:2 IF until I meet my goal b) NO ALCOHOL until I meet my goal and then review my relationship with alcohol at that time. In truth, after 4 months, I actually no longer miss the wine at all but do see that I might imbibe (only) socially in time to come. My REWARD (carrot & stick) for these efforts are a) NEW HAIRSTYLE b) update my wardrobe c) a TRIP somewhere, anywhere (probably a walking holiday).
    @stitchincarol – you are so right about WHOOSH….. IT’S A REAL THING! 🤩🤩🤩 I’ve added this to my ABBREVIATIONS LIST:
    WHOOSH – after being on a plateau for a while then suddenly WHOOSH the scales drop inexplicably
    @hollymcg – hi and welcome on board… you’ll find a lot of support here… we don’t walk this path alone. You are absolutely doing so well and I’m sure the WHOOSH is on it’s way!🤣😂
    @betsylee & @penz 🦘🦘🦘 – so good to have other Aussies here too! @lilymartin was around in early May and hopefully will be back again soon.
    @at – thanks for the spreadsheet, I’ve entered my data ready to go!
    @michelinme – thanks again for hosting!

cheerie dearies

“poco a poco” – little by little, bit by bit, slowly, gradually

Day 1, NFD, Aus

Thanks for hosting @michelinme. I’ve been a little absent and not too strict with 5:2 of late, so this really needs to be the month where I buckle down.

I wanna be like @betsylee – having a weight that starts with a 7! I’ve got a way to go but I know it’s doable.

Interesting article; thanks for posting @stitchincarol. But like you, having been a ZBC member for so long I couldn’t start consuming most of my calories in the morning. But this conclusion is tempting: “When overweight and obese women were put on a weight-loss diet for three months, those who consumed most of their calories at breakfast lost two and a half times more weight than those who had a light breakfast and ate most of their calories at dinner – even though they consumed the same number of calories overall.”

Welcome @HollyMG. Congrats on your weight loss (ha ha – weight “I know where you’ve gone!”) to date. Super effort!

Day 0 – USA/GA

Of course, I’m in for June! And I want it to be a very positive, effective month, unlike last year when my vacation got me all off course lol!

I am a 47 y/o male in northeast Georgia who started a serious weight-loss journey at the start of the pandemic. After losing a little weight, I was worried this would play out as it had over the past ten years or so: lose ten pounds, gain twenty. So, after I bottomed out losing my ten pounds, I searched the internet for new ideas and discovered 5:2. Keeping 5:2 as my base practice with some variation over these past two years (TRE, water fasting, OMAD, principles promoted by Jason Fung, etc.), I have lost around 70 lbs. In April/May, I did gain about 5 lbs back, but am back on track to get those numbers back down.

Because of the upward trend, my weight moved away from my goal of 206. I am determined to meet that goal in June, as I did hit 210/211 lbs a few times this past week. It will be difficult, but I am going to reach for the stars here.

Day O Ohio, US

Thanks @michelinme for hosting this month! Please count me in!!

I am new and in. Hope to lose a total of 15kg!

Day 1UK
    I took part in May and dropped from 94.75
    I aim for 83kilo which is what the NHS online app says is my healthy BMI

I am mixing 16:8 and keeping calories down. Plenty of exercise is key for me, running tennis HIIT
    Thanks for setting this up!!
    June is a GO!

Day 1 – Lake district UK – NFD

Good morning everyone,

Thanks to @michelinme for rounding us all up and steering the 5:2 bus this month, another busy month for me, off being retired and enjoying the rewards, but will call in wherever wifi connections and a bit of spare time allows.

Welcome to the newbies or those returning to this fantastic and supportive group.

Another fresh start! Whatever happened last month, either loss or gain or even maintain, it’s gone, it’s toast … or an equivalent low calorie replacement 😉
    Whatever happened that’s gone, what I like about this group is each month you get the feel of it being a fresh start with help from our forum friends 🙂

A bit about me …. I ‘found’ this group in July 2019 and have never looked back! I’m a bloke who now in my mid 60’s had put on a lot of weight over the years, but thanks to this WOL I’m now down to a weight that I am comfortable with and feel a lot better!
    I have found the help and encouragement of the members of this group fantastic. The 5:2 WOL really does work.

Currently maintaining and staying within my ‘buffer zone’ in fact I really do find it easy having done the hard yards getting to where I am now from where I was.

Hobbies, travelling, brewing craft beer, baking bread, rugby union (watching these days, my playing days are long over) fishing and gardening.

Take care all

Day 1 – Ireland – CD ✅ 🚫🚶🏻‍♀️
    159.4 lbs / could be worse 🤭

Hello all! Thank you @michelinme for hosting June! I will be on fire this month 🔥💪 . I need to be!
    I have lost my fasting mojo a little along with my exercise and low sugar mojo but will get back there and @i-hate-lettuce thanks for posting your wise words on post holiday efforts a little while ago 💪 you make a lot of sense and I needed to read that when I got back from my lovely holiday.
    Mum tested positive with Covid in the past few days which is such a shame as we have kept her safe for so long… although she does not seem to be too badly affected and doesn’t even realise herself so here’s hoping that like many it will just be a case of R&R and she will be back to full physical health🙏 ♥️.
    Thank you @at for hosting May – sorry I was MIA away for most of it… here now and will catch up on the May news later today.

I do hope you are all keeping well!

Onward and downward ⬇️
    We rise by lifting others 💕

Day 1 – UK – FD800

A fresh month to refocus and get back to my maintenance and happy range.

The scales are so unpredictable – when I braved them on Monday I got 60.1kg – Tuesday 59kg and today 58.8kg – Yes I did a FD500 Monday and FD800 yesterday but is that a true reflection??? I do know that my favourite pair of trousers are definitely on the tight side so I’ll be happy when those feel comfortable to wear……and I should be back into my happy place

June is a birthday month for myself 3/6 and OH 23/6 so making a promise to myself to stay mindful on those NFDs except perhaps our respective birthdays 🎈

A bit about myself:-
    I am a 63y.o. soon to be 64y.o. female living with my OH in the beautiful Lake District ⛰ having moved here when I retired in 2013. We have a married daughter who has 4 fur babies – 3 black 🐈‍⬛ and an adorable beagle called Archie 🐶
    I started this WOL on my own in January 2016 as I had gained weight during the last couple of years at work and was fed up with being overweight and wanted to enjoy my early retirement and get fitter!
    I discovered and joined the 30 Day November 2016 Challenge with @back2thefuture – best thing I ever did, as it got me to my maintenance weight and has kept me motivated and on track with this WOL! Last December was my 5th anniversary in maintenance! – Total weight loss = 22kg/3st 7lbs. Height = 164cm
    My maintenance range since then has been around 56-58kg – I’m fairly fit, doing 5 exercise classes during the week (yoga x2, pilates x1 and aerobic x2) and I also enjoy walking/hiking at least 3 times each week

The last 6 months have been a struggle with maintenance – I could put up a lot of excuses but I know that there has been a couple of dragons 🐉 lurking and responsible – namely the carbs 🐉 and wine 🐉 – this is my month to put them back in the cage and control them!!!

So lovely seeing so many familiar names jumping right in once more and a big welcome to a couple of newbies so far @hollymcg and @michtobesmall – we are a small but keen international group with varied reasons for being here and happy to support and share what works for us 🤗

@stitchincarol – interesting article but I have been a ZBC member for so long that I could not contemplate having my biggest meal in the morning, I never wake up feeling hungry and usually have my first cup of tea after 8am – when I have tried eating breakfast in the past I just feel hungry and consume more food as the day goes on….

Pocket List for 1/6 – anyone else joining in for the first day of this challenge??
    @at

This month I am reminding myself that “If I quit now, I will soon be back to where I started. And when I started, I was desperately wishing to be where I am now”

Day 1 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD

June already?! Welcome to @michtobesmall & @hollymcg

@hollymcg – I think most of us struggle with the NFDs more than the FDs. I only reached my goal once I started tracking calories on NFDs with the MFP app & weighing calorie-dense food like cheese. It’s a pain at first, but an app makes it much simpler & you may quickly learn just why your weight is refusing to budge. But…21 lbs down already! 👏

About me:- David, 60. Originally from Manchester in the UK, living in Durban, Kwazulu-Natal, on the east coast of South Africa. I’ve been fasting on & off since 2014.I got serious with fasting after I retired in 2018 & realised I was gaining weight & turning into a couch potato. I’ve been more or less maintaining for quite a while now, with the occasional holiday/festive season glitches. I now follow TRE, seldom eating before noon. I do mostly 5:2 & I don’t eat before 6 pm on fast days.

Wishing everyone a successful ‘Jump in June’!

Pocket List – Day 1 🍒
    @at

Day 1 UK FD

Good morning and welcome to Jump in June!

First an intro: I’m F57 in London, UK. After a fit and lively life to my mid 30s I put on weight with significant health issues restricted my energy & mobility, then more when stopping smoking and finally menopause. I started 5:2 with the Dec 2017 challenge and went from 179lb/81kg to 144lb/65kg in around 10 months, dropping 4 dress sizes – 3 while on a plateau! Then I fell off the waggon at the end of 2019 and have gone back up to 188lb. I’ve had long covid since Feb 2020 with ME, dysautonomia, peripheral neuropathy, cognitive impairment and digestion issues. But i’m back! I restarted last Friday and have lost 3lbs already – the joy of new beginnings. And I jumped in to host June for extra mojo!

I’ve pulled B2B FD800 for the last two days and am feeling PFDS big time. With 3FDs, 1 CD and a NFD since Friday I’m down an encouraging early 3lb/1.3kg. Beginning this month at 185lb/83.9kg with a goal for June of 179lb/81kg by month end. I’m tracking my Past Self on the site’s tracker so I know what worked & how I did before; now I need to follow myself and hold onto all of you.

This month I’ll eating 16:8 with 2FDs each week, keeping comfortably inside TDEE 4 days and one treat day (not EFS!) each week. I’m focussing on good sleep routine, plenty to drink and not eating late. Plus some gentle adapted yoga and meditation.

——–

I love the shiny new month for new beginnings and to enjoy old friends coming in from the edge, regular fasting friends keeping the community going and new friends joining for the first time. Together we are so much stronger.

@betsylee it’s lovely to be with you again. Well done with your steady weight loss. Like our friend @penz – welcome! – I’ll be very happy to follow in your footsteps to get to a weight that starts with a 7!

@linda.b what an amazing achievement to lose 11kg! I love your energy and focus – and wonderful reward system for goals achieved. Last Sunday I bought myself some herb and tomato plants instead of chocolate and am so enjoying them. Good luck with your June goals

@northgeorgia You have done an amazing job with your 70lb weight loss! Hope this is another good month for you towards your 206lb goal

@matpi good to be with you again

@michtobesmall Make yourself at home and introduce perhaps yourself when you are ready. This is a great community to be part of the journey to better health

@5413.5 congratulations on your amazing start in May! Hope this is another good month for you

@jaifaim lovely to see you again. Mojos are there to be found – and no time like the beginning of the month. So sorry to hear about your mum and hope she continues to be well within it. Mine also had covid just before Easter after 2 years of keeping safe so I feel your worry

@at thank you for sharing your story. It’s always so encouraging to be reminded you have lost 22kg and been maintaining for 5 years – you are a fabulous fasting poster person! Scales are only one measure and clothes are another – today I’m 3lbs down but my clothes are fitting much better than 3lbs sounds. Thank you again for hosting May and setting up the Jump In June spreadsheet x

@funshipfreddie – you are another poster person along with the lovely @i-hate-lettuce. It’s so good that you continue to post and share your maintenance stories and support others on the journey. We are all stronger together!

‘The only impossible journey is the one you never begin’

Pocket List – Day 1 🍒
    @at
    @michelinme

Day 1 – USA/GA – FD

Weigh-in: 216 lbs. Can I get 10 lbs below this at some point in June? Hopefully! I’m doing my two FDs today and tomorrow. Yesterday was not an RE/OMAD day, so I did tick up a couple of pounds. Hoping to mix FDs with an OMAD or two thrown in for this month and see how things play out. Might even convert some WFDs back to FD500s for a good mix. Maybe the variety will help me be better disciplined on NFDs.

Pocket List – Day 1 🍒
    @at
    @michelinme
    @northgeorgia

Day 1 – Rural Nebraska, USA – 18/6

81 years ago today, my parents got married. 🥰

Yesterday’s WFD was surprisingly easy, and felt wonderful. This morning, the scale is 148.2 lbs. DH and I talked and made a plan for June: TRE of 18/6 (unless something unavoidable comes up, which we know it will at a convention at the end of the month), a WFD on Tuesdays (and perhaps on Thursdays, depending on when I teach all my piano lessons) and a total of 10 drinks each for the entire month. I haven’t figured out how hard I’m going to work to get FDs in there…not sure they’ll matter if I’m doing 18/6. Thoughts, anyone? @i-hate-lettuce, I envy the ease with which you just consistently follow the basic plan while I flounder around, struggling to find the precise combo that I can follow and lose weight. The basic 5:2 worked for me in 2014/15, but I go too nuts on NFDs now. 🤷‍♀️

A tiny background: I weighed 132 at 5’4″ much of my adult life, except when I weighed 112, at which point I had a BMI of 19.2 or something. (No wonder people thought I was too skinny! 🤣🤣🤣) Beginning with the first of two major moves and lifestyle changes, I started gaining weight (at age 45) and have hit 166 twice now, settling in and even decorating for awhile, as someone in this group put it. I lost it in 2014/15, getting down to 137, but lost the plot and gained it all back over the next two years. I started in again on February 26, 2020 and have been S.L.O.W. to lose the weight, but consoled myself that at least when I wasn’t losing, I also wasn’t gaining…until the last month, when I’ve gained back about ten pounds. I’m still here, however, won’t leave, and WILL lose that plus some more. Oh, and now I’m down to just a bit over 5’2″ (F age 63.5), so what used to be a decent weight now leaves me lumpier than it used to. Oh well.

@betsylee How startling that, even as you lose weight, your waist gets larger. Let us know what you figure out, okay?

@linda.b Your faithful behavior and success are so wonderful; thank you for being you and cheering us all with your good cheer!

@penz Yeah, I found that same quote rather discouraging, given how uninterested in food I am in the mornings (“When overweight and obese women were put on a weight-loss diet for three months, those who consumed most of their calories at breakfast lost two and a half times more weight than those who had a light breakfast and ate most of their calories at dinner – even though they consumed the same number of calories overall.”) On the other hand, I think the real point of the article was TRE, and consuming the bulk of the day’s calories earlier in the day, so DH and are trying to make it work to eat our larger meal at noon or so and far less or even nothing later in the day. Is there any way you can make that happen?

Welcome @michtobesmall Where in the world are you? Tell us a little (or a lot, says the woman who chatters bunches, LOL) about yourself!

@jaifaim How’s your mom today? Still doing relatively okay??

@at I have the exact same history: “when I have tried eating breakfast in the past I just feel hungry and consume more food as the day goes on….” Every now and again I read articles that say “those who say they just eat more are…” and then they give some reason why that simply isn’t true. Hah. The people who write those articles clearly don’t live in your or my or @penz‘s body, right?? DH and I have both found, however, that when we happen to have a really large meal at noon, we often have little interest in supper in the evening, so I’m curious to see how that works in a month where I do that intentionally every day.

Okay, I’m back to the themes I had for May that got abandoned when we travelled, when we came home with Covid, and when I was swamped with my Hymn Fest. But it’s a new month, and I’m determined, so here we go:

“We must all suffer from one of two pains: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret. The difference is discipline weighs ounces while regret weighs tons.” ~ Jim Rohn

“You are far too smart to be the only thing standing in your way.”

Pocket List – Day 1 🍒
    @at
    @michelinme
    @northgeorgia

Day 1 – FD 800

Need to be quick today, but waving hello to all!

Day 1 -Ireland 🇮🇪 – NFD

Hi to all. Will catch up later but posting for accountability

Day 1 USA (Illinois) NFD

Hello faithful friends and newbies! I am Gwynne, 74 y.o. woman, retired school music teacher, singer, pianist, and choir director. I found myself pushing 200 pounds (90 kg) in early 2016. That’s when a WordsWithFriends friend suggested I try 5:2. Bought the book, liked the science and logic behind it, started March 15. I found this forum and joined the May challenge with @coda. Haven’t missed one since. I lost nearly 40 pounds and have mostly maintained since early 2017. Maintenance isn’t for the faint of heart that I know @at will second.

We recently spent an indulgent week in an all-inclusive resort in Jamaica, and I came home about 3.5 pounds heavier. A good FD yesterday and I lost 2.2 of that. Hopefully the rest will leave me very soon.

To put it mildly, I adore this group, the support, and accountability. This program of 5:2 works for losing, and for me 6:1 has kept me at maintenance.

Onward and downward.

Day 2, FD, Aus

First FD of the month for me. I will do it!

Welcome @michtobesmall – I look forward to the day you change your handle to @michissmall!

Day 02 – Thursday – Gold Coast Queensland Australia – FUN DAY (FD) 🤣🤩😊😉😏

My first FUN DAY (FD) for Jump In June! My trusty calendar shows I have 9, yes 9! FUN DAYS for June. Yay! So 9 opportunities to ensure I stick to 5:2, how could this fail?
    Lucky me, because I work from home, FUN DAYS are quite easy to manage. The kitchen is next door to my office and always stocked with lovely fresh veg. No temptations there ie if it’s not there, then you can’t eat it!
    Like all of you, NFDs are the harder aspect of the 5:2 equation. Nevertheless, I RESOLVE to apply myself mindfully to the task at hand with all of your encouragement to support me to achieve my goals.😊😊
    Highlight last weekend was putting on a pair of jeans from the back of the closet without having to lie down on the bed to zip them up! What a joyful moment!🤣😂

As your weather is turning into spring/summer in the north, our weather is turning into winter (officially as of yesterday). Where I live in sub-tropical Queensland, it is really like flicking a switch to drop the temperature and the arrival of winter. Just this day last week, I was wearing a sleeveless top, cotton skirt and sandals in the office. Today I am wearing track pants, long sleeve skivvy and fluffy slippers (I mentioned I work from home?😊😉😊 No-one to see this picture in sartorial elegance gone wrong, ha ha!).
    If you were here you probably might think it a nice spring day but for a Queenslander it’s quite cool at 18c at 3.30pm. I was pondering whether I’m feeling colder because of my recent weight loss too? Possibly. Nevertheless, it is a very welcome change in the weather after the last few months of high humidity and interminable rain and so nice to see the sun and blue sky at last…. all is right with the world.😍😍 Where I live, our winter will officially switch off on the 1st September, just like clockwork – exactly 3 months of June, July, August – and the days will then become warm and balmy again for a few months until our long summer starts once again.
    Oh dear… prattling on again!😛😜😛

@songbirdme – to lose 40 lbs in 12 months is a wonderful achievement and I am so inspired by how you’ve kept up with your maintenance and posting since then (2017). @at, @I-H-L and a few others too in maintenance ….. so great that you all continue posting as it is proof positive that this works and will continue to work ongoing as long as we apply ourselves! Thank you so much for setting such fine examples to us all! 🥇🏆 for you all!

Pocketlist for Thursday:

@linda.b 🦘
    @penz 🦘

Day 02 – Thursday – Gold Coast Queensland Australia – FUN DAY (FD) 🤣🤩
    2nd post

@I-H-L – there’s three after all! All feeding on a nice trout! Happy days!

Day 2 – Lake Disrtict UK – FD

Good morning everyone …. oh dear blethered on this morning, sorry!

Usual Thursday FD today, ready for exploring some more new ground this coming week! I’ll not be around just as much as we’re exploring the delights of the North Yorkshire moors, the forecast is looking really good, wonder if anyone’s worn a mankini in Yorkshire 😉

@linda.b – Re the Ospreys, all 3 chicks are doing well, after all the rain on Tuesday the female was stood on the edge of the nest yesterday morning preening herself while chicks were out in the warm sunshine.

@stitchincarol – ” @i-hate-lettuce, I envy the ease with which you just consistently follow the basic plan while I flounder around, struggling to find the precise combo that I can follow and lose weight. The basic 5:2 worked for me in 2014/15, but I go too nuts on NFDs now.”
    …. To be honest you’ve seen right through me, when I first started I continually tried and tweaked trying to ‘improve’ the 5:2 WOL and I got tied up in knots. You may recall how I constantly went back to after trying to throw in an extra FD, WFD were a non starter for me, as for trying the egg diet once….
    I found the best results have been keeping it simple, 2 FD’s a week 4 days of being mindful of how much I eat and drink, plenty of water every day, get the backside off the couch and go for a wander or get in the garden. One day a week, whatever you fancy, but after a while that day has almost gone, if I want a ‘treat’ have it, BUT don’t do it regularly.
    I find, even on holidays I’m not eating as much as I used to, it’s taken almost 3 years for something to trickle through the brain cells and stick … stop eating and drinking too much, yes I christened the Inner Warthog which almost felt like I was giving ‘something the blame’ and a focus on beating it and it’s worked!

End of 2014 I was 285 lb and needed to lose weight. I joined this forum in July 2019 and currently sit happily maintaining at 230 lbs.

Some may remember I lost a further 2 stone end of 2020 due to chemo and radiotherapy, I needed to put that back on and maintain, which is what I did and where I am now. Sticking to the basics and not overcomplicating things, be honest with yourself and stick with it! The gang on here have been a great help and inspiration especially through the cancer battle, great bunch of folk and a big hug to you all!

Well, that lot might help make up for not being around posting just as much recently, sorry to prattle on 🙂

Take care all.

Pocketlist for Thursday:

@linda.b
    @penz
    @i-hate-lettuce

Day 2 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – FD

First FD for June!

Watching the Jubilee celebrations on TV 🇬🇧 70 years?! Hard to believe. I still remember the street parties for the Silver Jubilee in ’77; doesn’t seem so long ago?!

Stronger Together 💪

Pocketlist for Thursday 🍏
    @linda.b 🦘️
    @penz 🦘️
    @i-hate-lettuce
    @funshipfreddie

Day 2 UK FD

Yesterday turned into a CD – it was too hard to do 3b2b but I’m content. I ate lots of red carmargue rice plus eggs, vegan chilli, berries, and salad in sweet potato wraps. It’s the most I’ve eaten since starting back last Friday and quite carbtastic – but good carbs so not feeling too puffy today. It was an emotionally demanding day but glad to have stayed with the feelings instead of eating them in the late evening. Today I need to drink much more water, eat between 12-6pm and get an early night.

It’s a double bank holiday in the UK for the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee – a very rare Thurs/Fri long weekend. Thus far I’ve put out the rubbish – twice, because i thought i’d missed the collection- tied up the sugarsnap peas and hung out towels, chatted with neighbours on both sides & let them know that the fences – which blew down in Storm Eunice in Feb! – are finally being replaced next week. There’s something about chatting with neighbours which makes me feel grounded in community.

I’m wiped out and next week is really full so planning to potter at home – stretch, rest, read, weed, listen to the radio, then catch up with friends on Sunday.

@northgeorgia if you find the secret to being better at NFDs please share!
    @mariaelena hope you had a good FD800
    @daffodil2010 hello!
    @songbirdme that’s a great start to the post-holiday reset

@stitchincarol i love your long chatty posts – and thank you for that great quote. Regret weighs way more than discipline!
    @penz you’ve got this!!
    @linda.b amazing that the seasons switch off so quickly. I spent a couple of weeks on the Gold Coast in August 1997: DD & I couldn’t understand why people wore jumpers!
    @i-hate-lettuce don’t apologise – your posts are always a good read. Hope you have a good time in N Yorks
    @funshipfreddie I dyed my hair for the Silver Jubilee and spent the day face painting smaller children at a street party!

@linda.b 🦘️
    @penz 🦘️
    @i-hate-lettuce
    @funshipfreddie
    @michelinme

Day 2 – USA/GA – FD

Weigh-in: 212 lbs. Still trending a bit higher over last week, but with the holiday weekend and the inability to fast until yesterday and today, that’s expected. Contrary to past events where I felt out of control, I think this is a stabilizing week that can help me focus on weight loss for the rest of the month.

I don’t plan to do a lot of B2B WFDs this month, today being an exception. I want to do an OMAD between WFDs for a little while. Got to run…

@linda.b 🦘️
    @penz 🦘️
    @i-hate-lettuce
    @funshipfreddie
    @michelinme
    @northgeorgia

Day 2 – Rural Nebraska, USA – 19/5 FD

Yesterday’s eating was more indulgent than it should have been. Perhaps. It was, after all, not a FD and I kept hearing the words I’ve read about how you can eat indulgently as along as you eat in that small window. On the other hand, indulgent eating doesn’t lead to fast weight loss, and I’d like to fly back down to the low 140s, so I should be showing more restraint. Bottom line, it wasn’t as good as it could have been, but it was nowhere near EFS, and it was decent. Plus, I really, really wanted a nibble around 5:45 (and later as well!), but managed to keep my quotes in mind and suffered the pain of discipline so that I’m not suffering the pain of regret this morning; that was a joyful accomplishment.

Today, I’ll do a proper FD, with my meal around three or four o’clock. The calories may add up to more than 500, but as long as I stick to my plan, I’ll call it a success: a frozen cooked hamburger patty, heated up; steamed asparagus; half a Caesar salad kit split with DH.

@linda.b I adore your prattle, so don’t hesitate to do so! And, yes, losing weight has made me cooler than I used to be, ESPECIALLY on FDs.

@i-hate-lettuce Yup, it’s a simple program and if you can manage the “4 days of being mindful of how much you eat and drink” then it’s a perfect plan. Somehow, the mindfulness I used to have in abundance has almost all abandoned me. For example, I used to buy chips for the family about six or seven times a year. That was it. I was disgusted at the thought of buying such empty calories, and refused to do it. Now? I still do my level best not to buy any, but refusing point blank the plea to buy them, and being disgusted at the thought of having them in the house? Gone. 🤷‍♀️ Losing weight and then maintaining is a mind game, and the challenge is to win against the warthogs we all have.

Oh, and please translate: “oh dear blethered on this morning, sorry!” Did you add that at the top of your post after the whole thing was written perhaps? I was so confused, LOL! 🤣🤣🤣

@funshipfreddie Thanks for mentioning the queen’s jubilee; I promptly turned on the TV and am getting my fix of royal-watching. 😘

@michelinme Well, if you like my chatter, and in the midst of discussing whether @linda.b’s 19 degrees are actually cold or not, here’s a fun story for you: A friend who is a missionary told about the time he was living in some country in west Africa. He needed to talk to a local member of his church (there was some problem with where he was living and needed help) and decide that, since he knew the guy so well, it wouldn’t be a problem that he was barefoot and wearing only a tank top and shorts–plus, it was nine o’clock at night. So the guy came over and just STARED at the missionary. The local guy was wearing long pants, his usual sandals, but with socks, and a puffy down-type jacket with a knit cap, because it was freezing cold and he couldn’t figure out how the missionary could be comfortable dressed as he was. It was 90 degrees.

🤣🤣🤣 Isn’t that a great story? It’s all relative, right?

@linda.b 🦘️
    @penz 🦘️
    @i-hate-lettuce
    @funshipfreddie
    @michelinme
    @northgeorgia
    @stitchincarol

My personal themes for June (the first quote compliments of @funshipfreddie):

“We must all suffer from one of two pains: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret. The difference is discipline weighs ounces while regret weighs tons.” ~ Jim Rohn

“You are far too smart to be the only thing standing in your way.”

Day 2 – 16:8 CD

A wonderful and indulgent (word of the day?) anniversary weekend.

Thoughts: I didn’t go crazy, but I did eat quite indulgently. And now, I’m ravenous. Managed (with difficulty) my FD yesterday and still very hungry this morning. It was so difficult to get back on the 5:2 and healthy eating wagon. And remains difficult to adhere to – as if my body wants to just give in to whatever it wants whenever it wants. Is this because I ate indulgently for 3 days? Or coincidental timing? Something to remember and be aware of at a minimum.

I love everyone’s chit chat, and hope to reply to a number of you later today, but I have a sick kitty cat and need to get him to the vet this morning.

Thinking of everyone!

Day 2 – UK – FD800

Out early today for a walk with 3 friends – we wanted to beat the crowds – our little town has been inundated with tourists for this Jubilee weekend and half term week. So glad that we did as when we were heading back home it was getting very busy – 12.km covered 🚶‍♀️

As I was out early I forgot to weigh this morning but no matter tomorrow’s weigh in will be interesting after 4 FDs…hoping for a good number after starting this challenge at 60.1kg – well above my maintenance target range!!!

Aiming for a 4th FD today – FD500 – FD800 – FD800 so far this week and aiming for another FD800 today – tomorrow is my birthday and will not be a FD but 🤞not wanting an EFS day either!!

@linda.b – staying with these monthly challenges has been crucial for staying within maintenance range and as @songbirdme says “Maintenance isn’t for the faint of heart ” it takes discipline and these challenges are a great motivator and offer much needed support as well
    @i-hate-lettuce – totally agree with your advice to @stitchincarol – it’s learning that restraint of being mindful on those 4 days that are crucial 😇

I have my Book Club meeting this evening – must stay focused and not be tempted by a glass of wine – aiming for sparkling mineral water – as it’s a lovely warm day I’m hoping we will be outside overlooking the lake and I can enjoy the company and views without feeling deprived so I’m joining that pocket list for support

@linda.b 🦘️
    @penz 🦘️
    @i-hate-lettuce
    @funshipfreddie
    @michelinme
    @northgeorgia
    @stitchincarol
    @at

Loving reading everyone’s chatty posts and really feeling part of this community – thank you

Second post day 2 …

@stitchincarol ….. “Oh, and please translate: “oh dear blethered on this morning, sorry!” Did you add that at the top of your post after the whole thing was written perhaps? I was so confused, LOL! 🤣🤣🤣 ” …. yes I did, “blethering on” = prattling on / just going on a bit longer than usual 😉

Bags packed, ready to go in the morning … take care everyone catch up where I can.

Trooping the Colour today was special and ‘the boss’ looked a picture 🙂

(Those who have served always affectionately refer to the Queen as ‘the boss’ )

Day 2 UK second post

Today won’t be a FD but a NFD. Coming in here so i do it mindfully instead of slipping. Tomorrow will be a FD instead

@stitchincarol – yup, that’s the sort of story I like! And your quotes are playing in my head on loop – thank you!

@mariaelena hope the vet is able to make your cat more comfortable. it’s always a worry when pets are sick

@at well done with your b2b2b2b – that’s how to reset after a short indulgence, and great foundation for your birthday tomorrow. Hope you have a lovely day!

Day 3, NFD, Aus

Good morning everyone. A chilly morning in the nation’s capital. I’ll swap you @linda_b! (I lived in Darwin years ago and distinctly remember it got down to 18 degrees one night and I had to dig out a heavy doona I was so cold!) How quickly we acclimatise.

Well, I am not basking in PFDS today. More like suffering the pain of regret which really is so much worse than the pain of discipline. I just cannot seem to get my head in the right space.

Need to spend time reading all your inspiration posts and tips and be ready for Monday’s FD.

As I don’t log on Sat/Sun, have a great weekend everyone!

Day 2 Ohio, US — MFD
    Day 1 — NFD

Stayed pretty much on plan with eating today and managed to get my 50 minutes of exercise in.

Yesterday (Day 1) some friends were in town, so I had lunch out with them at a great “Creative American Cuisine” restaurant. I was impressed that the people in the restaurant were willing and able to modify one of their entrees to accomodate a vegetarian. So I had angel hair pasta with some vegetarian toppings and for dessert a homemade strawberry sorbet. All while sitting under a little grape arbor. That, coupled with getting together with friends, made a very pleasant afternoon.

Brief history: I am a retired university professor. I participated in this forum for a few years and then went away the summer of 2020. In March of this year I returned and have been enjoying the great community here. I’m starting out this month at 180.6 lb (81.9 kg) My short term goal is to get to below 180 lbs (81.6 kg) and the mid-range goal is to get below 175 lb (79.4 kg). I would be happy with losing more, but this seems like a reasonable goal for now.

@penz I had to google “doona”. I take it that it is what around here would be a quilt?

@ihatelettuce Have a great trip! That reference to the Queen in that context is new to me. Always more to learn even in one’s “native” language!

@at I can empathize with your experience with being inundated by tourists! Today was the start of a national golf tournament in my little, usually sleepy, town. 7 out of the world’s top 10 golfers are participating, so the extra influx of tourists, athletes, and news people is somewhat staggering. Traffic has been crazy!

@linda.b 🦘️
    @penz 🦘️
    @i-hate-lettuce
    @funshipfreddie
    @michelinme
    @northgeorgia
    @stitchincarol
    @at
    @matpi

Day 03 – Friday– Gold Coast Queensland Australia – (NFD)

@michelinme Yes, it’s always hilarious when the tourists are walking around scantily clad and the locals are rugged up at 18c.. 🤣🤣🤣 August is a lovely month here, cool but sunny and hope you enjoyed your trip to Queensland.

@stitchincarol – Being coeliac hot chips are always problematic for me too as restaurants fry them in the same vat as breadcrumbed (gluten) foods, so usually off the menu for me. However, I used to make my own occasionally as former OH was fond of them. I don’t like them (or anything for that matter) deep-fried, so I would do them in the hot oven with only a tiny spritz of olive oil but also became very inventive with spices eg sumac, chilli, turmeric, curry spices, garlic, pepper, whatever at hand (not all at once!). Now I also used to team them up with other veg cut into chips (pat them dry) as well eg zucchini, eggplant (aubergine), carrots, beans, beetroot, sweet potato, and, yes, broccoli/lini 😋 etc… you get my drift. Doesn’t have to be potato and doesn’t have to be deep-fried. It’s about the hot and it’s about the crunch🤪😛😜. My DD does them in an air-fryer and also experiments with different veg and spices for their chips. Unlike my darling granddies (all kids love them!), I don’t have to EFS with them, just have a handful and only every now and then. That way I don’t suffer from FOMO (FEAR OF MISSING OUT) which is a chronic syndrome in all coeliacs! 😟😖😲

@penz Ha ha about Darwin! In May 2019 we had some visitors from Darwin who thought it was cold here and had to lend some winter jackets! I used to travel to Canberra a lot for work and remember well the autumn leaves. I was the crazy jogger who went out at 6.00am absolutely freezing morning but loved shuushing through the knee-deep autumn leaves covering the roads and paths and the frost and fog. Lovely memories! We just don’t have ‘FALL’ here at all.

@at – you absolutely inspire me….. 12km is a wonderful plod…. you rock on! 🥇🏆

@i-hate-lettuce – you are absolutely on the money with the KISS approach and this is my mantra for the future too (for life, the universe and everything, not just IF) ie
    “keeping it simple, 2 FD’s a week 4 days of being mindful of how much I eat and drink, plenty of water every day, get the backside off the couch and go for a wander or get in the garden. One day a week, whatever you fancy, but after a while that day has almost gone, if I want a ‘treat’ have it, BUT don’t do it regularly.” Hope you have an exciting adventure in Yorkshire. I’ll keep an eye on the kids (chicks🤣) till you get back!

Hey, we ended up with 8 on the pocketlist for Thursday… we are doing it! … well done amigos!💪💪💪

cheerie dearies

Hmmm, worth pondering this thought😊😉😉 … Everything is permitted but not everything is beneficial….

Day 03 – Friday– Gold Coast Queensland Australia – (NFD) – 2nd post update

@matpi – we cross-posted, so, with you, makes 9 on Thursday’s pocketlist…. that’s a lot of collective fat melting off us! 🤩🤩🤩

Day 3 UK
    90.45 fast
    So- dropped weight(88.45) very positive and then yesterday and then with one thing and another decided to eat loads of cereal, crisps popcorn etc
    Infact I binged! So annoying
    I need to refocus!
    Anybody else prone to sudden catastrophic eating?

Day 3 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD

Nailed my FD yesterday. So I’m off to the Jewel of India for lunch with my mate Barbara. And there may be a little gambling later. Emphasis on little. I’ve been really good, haven’t been near a roulette wheel for ages 😇

@stitchincarol – 😂 Here’s the official ‘blether’ definition: talk in a long-winded way without making very much sense.”there’s plenty of stuff I could blether about from today”

@5413.5 – nooo?! Maybe if you’d been on the pocket list you wouldn’t have binged? It can help! But it’s not always clear from your posts, because you don’t type FD or NFD next to ‘UK’. As someone else said recently, ‘if you don’t buy it, you can’t eat it’. Despite what Kelloggs tell us, most cereals really are processed junk. Which is probably why it’s so easy to overeat it. And crisps/popcorn?! 😱 If you haven’t yet read Jason Fung’s ‘The Obesity Code’ it’s excellent. I think he recommends cheese/nuts as a snack/dessert, but small amounts only.

Happy Fri-yay y’all, & bon voyage – again! – to @i-hate-lettuce 🚙 But no mankinis, please 😱 🙏

2 post uk FD
    Thanks for the feedback- yes I didn’t post anything yesterday, my fault –
    Having family around means food is in the house!

I have done really well up till now. The book you recommended does sound interesting.
    I don’t even really enjoy the excess food!

Thanks again for the support

2nd Post NFD

@5413.5 – sorry, yes; I guess it’s much easier living alone. Not too many temptations around. Especially if you have kids! You’re doing great! I’ve read Dr Fung’s book a couple of times. There’s a whole chapter on fasting too. And he posts on YouTube.

Day 3 – USA/GA – NFD

Weigh-in: 209 lbs (first time to see the goose egg since mid-April!) Next FD will be Sunday. Running late again; not sure what’s gotten in to me lately.

Day 3 – UK – NFD

Completed another successful FD800 yesterday and rewarded with a weigh in this morning of 58.1kg, down exactly 2kg from Monday’s 60.1kg – must have been water retention from overindulgent previous few days!!!! but I’m happy with that – would love to shed another 2kg to sit right in the middle of maintenance…..

Met with a couple of good friends for a lovely catchup today – coffee and a chocolate raspberry brownie treat (as it’s my birthday) was shared between 2 of us 😇 sadly our other friend is recovering from a sore tooth extraction so she didn’t feel like indulging – promised myself to stay in control today after my B2B2B2B FDs 🤞

@i-hate-lettuce – have a fab time away enjoying the delights of the North Yorkshire moors- hopefully the weather improves
    @michelinme – thank you – I definitely have PFDS today 🤞I have a controlled birthday weekend 😇
    @penz – a wet and cooler day here in the Lake District – I was FT my sister in Melbourne this morning who said it was “cold” there!!
    @linda.b – thank you – I love hiking and so lucky to live where I have so many options from my front door
    @5413.5 – I think we have all been there but remember that tomorrow is another day with this WOL

Looking to an afternoon watching the French Open and perhaps some cricket too….

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 376 total)

You must be logged in to reply.