July 2019 – Monthly Challenge

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
July 2019 – Monthly Challenge

This topic contains 617 replies, has 56 voices, and was last updated by  metatauta 4 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 51 through 100 (of 619 total)

• Thank you for hosting @daffodil2010. And thanks to @penz for you great efforts in June.

Day 1 UK FD

Post run sleep was wonderful. Legs are very heavy this morning which probably explains my weight being 0.9kg up from last Friday. I’m hoping that’s all water weight 😬 or muscle 🤫

I see people have provided a bit of a biog about themselves…

I’m 50. A dad of 3 kids aged 18, 16 and 12. Knee problems in 2016 stopped me doing any exercise for a bit and the consultant told me to stop running and football. But what does he know ? Decided to start 5 2 to lose a bit. Dropped from 92 kg to 77kg from Nov 16 to June 2017. Then my mother died so stopped, and let the weight creep back. Realised this year I needed to get back on track and aim for 74 kg. Lost a bit in June, hopefully a bit more this month, Best of all I’m running well enough to really enjoy it. No knee pain and I know I’ll get faster as I lose more fat.

Big fan of this thread. It’s very helpful to keep me accountable and not just Chuck it all in when things go wrong. Like today, weight up in spite of fasting and running. But I know I’m losing fat along the way. This is just how it goes. My body cannot break the laws of thermodynamics for ever? Or can it….?

Day 1 UK FD

Morning all ! I’ve struggled with my weight all my life – took early retirement when I was 50 (nearly 8 years ago) and decided I’d get myself in shape took up exercise- which I still enjoy and gradually got down to around 10 st – 140lbs which I was fine with, stayed around that for a few years then it started to creep up and really worrying in the last 3 months it gone up around 10lbs !!! Now back to 160lbs Need to turn this around Think the biggest problem is drinking – particularly beer so putting a halt to that Onwards and downwards

Day 1 Belfast FD
    Welcome to regulars and those new to this forum. As @flourbaby and others say, this is a great place to be for support, gardening tips, moans and celebration alike.
    I’m a 64 yo retired primary teacher, married with two boys and a rescue collie. I walk daily, swim, do Pilates and yoga for my fitness.
    I was a thin young woman, but middle aged spread crept around my middle until I was just teetering on obese. I’ve been doing this WOL for a while and lost 2 1/2 stone. While supposedly in maintenance, I am returning home from a holiday with excess baggage and clothes that shrunk in the suitcase, so here we go again! But this WOL DOES work. Back on the sugarfree wagon too, my big downfall.

Day one or one day…

Day 1 – UK – FD

Early start this morning with a 7am Broga Class with OH – hard and sweaty work this morning – mixture of upper body, abs and leg work – a good start to this much needed FD – Pilates this afternoon and an evening yoga class to end the day 🙏

Went to see “Sometimes, Always and Never” with some of my film group yesterday evening – a melancholic comedy-drama about father-son reconciliation. This was followed by an excellent Indian meal at a local restaurant.

Forgot to get on the scales this morning due to my early start of the day so will weigh in tomorrow for my end of June and beginning of July Challenge!

Lovely to see so many familiar names and a BIG WELCOME to those new to these monthly challenges/WOL @swimmer44 @stardustdream @jod10p @donkeyshorn @yo-yo Fletch (lovely to see you back) @losingitslowly @gfussy @starfish89 @winsome-waif @nicholas5172 and I have added you all to the spreadsheet if you want to use it to help you set goals and monitor progress.
    Those who have joined the challenge so far are typed in black leaving those who have yet to sign in from previous challenges typed in red (in case anyone wonders why the red and black colours with your names 🤔)
    Those in maintenance are highlighted in Green and Coda our founder member is highlighted in Pink. Here is the link in case you have not seen it
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ICHws6iTY_qmbWP-LXPF0IGCG7OqRkn-6MY1FN6qlV8/edit?usp=sharing

Well I had better share a bit about me for those new to these challenges
    I am a 61 y.o. female, married, with a grown up daughter. Height = 163cm/5ft 4in and I started this WOL on my own in January 2016 – joined the challenges in November 2016 as I had plateaued for around 3 months and then reached maintenance in early December 2016 and have been in maintenance range of 53-55kg/116.8-121.2lbs and a BMI of just over 20 since then!
    I love a range of exercise, currently doing yoga 🙏 which I discovered in November 2015 and it has just been the best thing for me, both physically and mentally. I also do Broga, Pilates, Aerobics and love hiking on the fells in my beloved Lake District ⛰ (I moved here when I retired in 2013) and I also do some volunteering in my local community

Health improvement markers since starting this WOL:-
    1. Total weight loss = 22kg/3st 7lbs
    2. Full of energy!
    3. Mental health changes = sleeping well, waking up feeling good in myself and happy with my life☺
    4. My Asthma is controlled to the extent that I no longer use any inhalers either treatment or preventative!
    5. My blood cholesterol has improved so much that currently it is just above normal range, which is brilliant for me (I have a family history of heart disease and high cholesterol)
    6. I am very lucky not to have any health issues and require no medications!

Best advice I can give to anyone new to this WOL/WOE is to:-
    *Stick to the basic plan for the first couple of months – it works!!
    *On NFD eat to the TDEE for the weight you want to be and not your current weight and you will lose weight faster!
    *Don’t overestimate your exercise level!!!
    *Don’t add the calories lost due to exercise into your daily calorie allowance as it is already taken into account when you work out your TDEE!
    *Try to drink at least 2L of water daily

Day 1 Pocket List – I have added anyone who has stated an intention to fast today as TOGETHER WE ARE STRONGER 💪
    @wacm
    @gretta
    @winsome-waif
    @missybear
    @daffodil2010
    @penz
    @nicholas5172
    @flourbaby
    @jaifaim
    @johnnyr
    @brightonbelle
    @debster251
    @at
    The support, camaraderie and friendship offered on these challenges is wonderful – no one judges!

My personal motto on this journey is to remember that “If I quit now, I will soon be back to where I started. And when I started, I was desperately wishing to be where I am now”

Day 1 – Stratford Upon Avon, UK – FD

Looking forward to being fully on-board with you all for this July Challenge. Feeling very positive and motivated right now so best to roll with it! Right?

Enjoying reading everyone’s personal stories, inspired by your great commitment and results and hoping I too will be able to commit and eventually inspire.

Thank you all also for the great advise and insight into what works – I know I need to find my own way so am thinking to get me off to a good start;

Mon-Thurs B2B FD OMD (up to 800 cals)
    Fri-Sat NFD
    Sun CD

Fingers crossed!

Day 1 – Switzerland – FD

Hello beautiful people! It’s been, er, an absolute age since I was on the forum, but back in 2016/7 you wonders helped me change my life, and set me on a path that finds me 20kg lighter (103kg down to 83kg) and a lot healthier and happier. Lovely to see some familiar names *waves* @ciren2 @coda @songbirdme @at @debster251 @snowflake56

Intermittent fasting has become such a core part of my life that I’ve stopped really thinking about it. But although my weekly 5:2 keeps my weight level, I could really do with making a determined effort and getting down to a healthy BMI and then to my goal weight. I have a few friends visiting over the summer, but otherwise hope to stick to IFD with increased exercise.

Thank you @daffodil2010 for organising this month’s challenge!

Day 1 – Boston, USA – FD, yoga + short run

Here we go! It’s really nice to be here at the start of the month and to read everyone’s introductions.

@penz – that’s a great addition to my list of commitments, thank you. I’ll be sure to check in every day.

@rabbette – yes, what I found for myself last month was that even eating a little during the day triggered the demise of the FD (*sob*). Best to wait until dinner and eat something light along with the family. I do love soups of all kinds, even in the summer, so broth with veggies sounds perfect.

Welcome to all the newcomers. Looking forward to making some progress with all of you this month!

Day 1 Pocket List
    @wacm
    @gretta
    @winsome-waif
    @missybear
    @daffodil2010
    @penz
    @nicholas5172
    @flourbaby
    @jaifaim
    @johnnyr
    @brightonbelle
    @debster251
    @at
    @hedwig6

Day 1, UK, FD

Just a quick one as busy at work.
    Will catch up later and have my first July weigh in tomorrow *fingers crossed*

Had a almond latte (70cals), feta salad (200 cals) and will have a SW soup later today. Plenty of water, black coffee and coke zero (usually avoid it but really fancied it today) to keep me going.

Have a good start of the month everyone!

Day 1, VA, USA, FD

About me –
    Started Jan 29th at 184
    Today July 1st at 153.2
    I usually do 4:3 / OMAD during the week – weekends take a break but I am more mindful.

Like many I’ve always struggled with weight. My adult life I’ve never been below 140s lbs, and thats actually not near my idea weight. For the first time in my life I feel empowered enough that I may actually be able to get way closer to my “ideal” weight.

Taking it One Day at a time, One Fast at a time.

Yesterday – FDish… ha I did well as I started with my water as usual, but I think for supper & snack (blasted snack) I think it put me over. Looks like around 800 instead of the 500 or even 300 that I usually have from my soup. Scales said pretty much the same as the beginning of my FD, so thats one way I know I had just a bit too much.

Which does make me wonder, would my TDEE only be around 800 calories! Oh my gosh – maintenance will be quite the challenge. Too much future thinking. Just going to deal with NOW.

So FD today. I have my plan of Water then a simple soup tonight of Beets, Onions, Garlic, either squash Or red potatoes. *oddly enough I eat “white” potatoes and the scales still go down, so that is a carb that does not appear to make an impact on me – yay.

————————————————————————————————————————————————————
    Pocket list Day 1 count me in!

Day 1 Pocket List
    @wacm
    @gretta
    @winsome-waif
    @missybear
    @daffodil2010
    @penz
    @nicholas5172
    @flourbaby
    @jaifaim
    @johnnyr
    @brightonbelle
    @debster251
    @at
    @hedwig6
    @rabbette

It’s good to see some of our successful maintainers back here to motivate us lesser mortals for another month. Here’s to
    @at, @songbirdme, @missybear, @debster251 and for the “nearly there” @funshipfreddie and @gretta among others.
    Great to see you all here again. It just shows it can be done.
    I can also see so many of you are like me and struggle with the discipline. They say it gets easier with practise, don’t they? Best to hang around here and see how it’s done.

Day 1 Melb Aust NFD (late evening)

Started the month 0.5 kg up from the start of June – plateau, plus really don’t like the cold weather, plus there were a couple of stressful weeks including some minor surgery, so I’m not beating myself up too much. However, more soup on my FDs during this cold weather will be advisable. Anyway, I’m determined that this month the scales will register a notable downward direction and get me off this plateau.

New motto thanks to @funshipfreddie (still love yours though, @at!)
    “If you really want to do something, you’ll find a way. If you don’t, you’ll find an excuse.” – Jim Rohn

So, no excuses, onward and downwards!

Day 1 USA (Illinois) NFD

It’s terrific to be back with some of the best people in the whole world!
    Welcome to the newbies, and great to see us long-timers. I might be one of the oldest and longest here as I joined @coda in May 2016 as my first challenge. I had begun 5:2 when a WordsWithFriends friend from Australia said it worked. I bought Dr. Moseley’s book “The Fast Diet” and thought the research sounded excellent. I began March 15, 2016 then found this forum.

I began at over 190 pounds (@88 kg) “thanks” to the several pounds a year I put on, likely caused by menopause. My BMI was about 31. Over about 9 months I lost 35 pounds, BMI is barely into ‘normal’ at 25, but I am content to stay there. Maintenance has been my game for almost 2.5 years. ALL THANKS to the wonderful group of international fasters here!

I’m 71 years young retired music teacher, still direct a townspeople choir, teach piano, work at our new Children’s Museum, and play piano at church. I do Silver Sneakers 3x/week, yoga 1/week, and use 6:1 for maintenance. LOVE My Fitness Pal (MFP) for calorie counting, and I use it faithfully. Married 50 years, 4 grown children, 5 granddaughters all who live a ways away, so travel as I am able.

I look forward to getting to know the newbies and keeping up with friends from previous challenges.

@daffodil2010 – thank you so much for taking the helm this month.

Onward and downward!

Day1 – India – OMAD

Thanks @daffodil2010 for hosting July.

Welcome everyone to this awesome support group.

I started ADF in 2017, that’s when I also found this support group. I managed to bring down my weight from 75.3 kgs to 62.9 kgs. In the last quarter of 2018 life happened and I got lost in all the chaos.
    At the start of 2019 my hemoglobin levels went really low, so I had to give up fasting completely. My weight is now 66.9kg.
    I plan to follow 5:2 instead of ADF this time around with 500cals on fast days. Keeping my fingers crossed.
    Fasting made me feel so much healthier and happier.
    My only concern is my family since everyone feels that the hemoglobin drop was because of not eating and I am finding it very difficult to convince them otherwise.

Today started as a Fast Day but I ended consuming 600cals.

Day 1 – USA – NFD

Hello, and welcome all newcomers! Greetings to all our lovely veterans of this WOL (way of life)! I trust that as we journey together in this month’s challenge, you will, like me, learn how to put food in its proper place in your life, how to choose and prepare the foods that nourish your body and prolong your health, and experience the friendships we have developed among those who practice 5:2.

I have been on this forum since February of 2017, having dispatched almost 60 lbs.; I spent many hours researching the basis behind 5:2, the LCHF lifestyle. I do not strictly practice keto, but I lean towards it in my eating choices and window of eating (16:8).

Personally, I’ve been through a few major life crises in the past two years, and although I don’t speak about it publicly, I must tell you that the forum has been a great comfort to me. I found many friends here who share openly what I went through privately and for that, I am grateful. I look forward to continuing to check in a few times a month and learn more about you all.

Day 1-USA (NE TN)-FD

Thank you all for this challenge. And being so ready to welcome newcomers to the forum, like myself. I’ve been reading through the June challenge.

I’m a 40-year-old homeschooling mother of 4, two teens (16.5 and almost-15) and two youngers (10 and 8), Girl-boy-girl-boy. We homeschool year round, (the schools in our state are abominable and particularly in our county. Worst of the worst situation here) and have active teens, so there’s lots of opportunities for stress. My 16.5 year-old daughter will be graduating high school at 17, so we’re studying for college entrance (ACT) and doing class planning, and getting her into a dual enrollment writing class at a private college here. Dual enrollment is what we call (here in the States) taking classes at a college or university and get credit for both high school and university. I’m ignorant as to whether other countries have this, sorry. Not trying to be patronizing or anything with all my babbling. Plus, she isn’t ready to get her driver’s license yet. My other kids are as equally active and FULL of personality. So, yes, stress, and me and their father being quite busy kid-taxis.

I hit my goal weight in Dec of 2015 and have been yo-yoing between it and 15lb over for the past few years. I use Alternate Day Fasting to get the weight off when I stray too much. It’s been very difficult to get the weight off this time. I’m having a lot harder time on FDs due to the newer stresses. I’ll need to figure out how to keep up with this protocol in maintenance this time so I can stop getting so far off track over and over. Time to learn a lesson finally.

FD today. Basically OMAD until supper. I’m going to B2B another FD tomorrow. And then OMAD a NFD after 5 or 6:00 Wed as we are going on a camping trip through our holiday weekend. I will not be able to “fast” during that trip as I do not have support from my husband. He doesn’t understand FDs. I do alright at home as long as I have an evening meal with the family, as he doesn’t notice what I’m doing during the day as he is working. So I will probably employ some TRE and CDs to try to maintain during this time of being unable to log or weigh my food.

Sorry I’ve not responded to specific people. I’m kindof introverted and a bit hectic today, too. My teen son is having his dude-bros over tonight to have a video game night, and as one might imagine, having 4 kids wrecks a house pretty thoroughly, so were tidying up all day. Those little filth-nuggets! I’m off to make the bathrooms less unsightly, in spite of their “help.” lol!

Must get in cookie-making, a strength workout, and a shower for myself as well, all before they arrive. I’m trying to not have an anxiety attack. Ugh! Just going to breathe and drink some tea and stay busy.

Day 1-USA (VA) FD

Hello from Virginia, U.S. I’m in for July – first time in a challenge and looking forward to it. I topped the scales at 254 this morning and at only 5-ft tall was extremely upset with myself. Fasting today and doing well with it. Look forward to your support.

2nd post

Hi to all the July participants and welcome to our new members. Stick with us here and we will help pull you through.

This forum is really one of the single most important ways we have to keep in check and keep ourselves accountable. And as the weeks and months and years have rolled on this forum has grown into a thriving international community, and the virtual friendship and real support is what makes this community strong.

That’s why I have been an (almost) daily poster since July 2017. Without this support I might have fallen by the wayside (again), but despite plateau’s and setbacks, this forum keeps me on the wagon.

And thank you so much @at for updating the spreadsheet …..I just love how everyone here gives a dig out and helping hand…honestly, the forum runs itself due to all you lovely people.

@stardustdream It’s great to have you on board, you have a super busy life. I prefer to do my FD’s around the time that my hubby is working too, although he is supportive he does occasionally ask am I “starving” myself today. Sheesh!!!

@jisika I remember you from back in 2017, welcome back.

@and…exhale Welcome back, great that you recognise some of our stalwarts still here, they all provide great encouragement ☺️

So, today, after my phenomenal egg fast loss of 6.4lbs last week, after a weekend of eating, drinking (we have a 30l keg of Guinness set up in the kitchen for Gods sake!), and general partying on down for DH’s 50th……..the gain back was 5lbs!!!

So, today is an FD but I am taking the egg route. Let’s see if those little egg miracles happen again.

@flourbaby, you asked in the June forum whether I found the Shred difficult whilst egg fasting….no, not a bother at all. I didn’t really miss veg either…but I put that down to my years of Dukan where every couple of days was protein only…and I still have a bit of that mindset.

And although there was a gain, I tried on some size 10 dresses in my wardrobe after work and they all fit. I have a graduation to attend on Wednesday so yay, a choice of frocks 💃👍

Finally, have a great end to Monday, and see you bright and fresh tomorrow

Day 1, VA, USA, FD

2nd post

Some bla bla bla stuff on my numbers since I started.

-7.0 lbs over all loss for June.
    Which is nice, way over my goal. (Although my goal is any weight loss is a good loss) which does keep me motivated b/c some months its big loss some months its little. So I’ll take what I can get. Look at the scale readings below.

Scale readings.
    All in lbs

Jan 28th___184.0
    Feb 1st____176.4
    March 1st__174.6
    April 1st____170.6
    May 1st____162.0
    June 1st___159.4
    –7.0
    July 1st____152.4

@hedwig6 – exactly. I also started leaving out the almond milk in my coffee in the morning and I’m WAY less hungry. Like I’m really not even hungry until it comes time for my soup supper. Hugs, we are in this together! We can do it!

@songbirdme – oh wow, your married 50 years! Way to go! I’m going on 10 this year and think we are pretty good together so 50 years is in our sights!

@stardustdream – you have come to the right place. As I was expressing to @hedwig6 FDs are easier when you have a game plan. If you need to EAT with family, try putting more veggies on your plate v/s what ever the main dish is, I have found it is a GREAT way for folks to not pry or ask questions (especially when at BIG family gatherings) My Sweetheart doesn’t mind my FDs at all and is helpful with my FDs (I’m grateful) – I also have more tips and tricks so up my sleeve so just give a shout out if you struggle. *** We are all here to help on this forum***

@daffodil2010 – Yay fitting in some 10s! Woot woot – eggs FTW!

,-*’ ^ ‘~*-.,_,.-*~ . ~*-.,_,.-*~’ ^ ‘*-,,-*’ ^ ‘~*-.,_,.-*~ . ~*-.,_,.-*~’ ^ ‘*-,
    HUGS to my Forum Family!
    ,-*’ ^ ‘~*-.,_,.-*~ . ~*-.,_,.-*~’ ^ ‘*-,,-*’ ^ ‘~*-.,_,.-*~ . ~*-.,_,.-*~’ ^ ‘*-,

Just wanted to say that. Cheers!

Day 1 UK FD

Late posting day – and what a big gang we have already! Lovely to see old friends here again and a very warm welcome to newbies 🙂

I’m F50s living in London, put on weight in 3 steps over around 15 years – developing a neuro condition reducing energy & mobility, stopping smoking – tho best decision ever! – and menopause. By November 2017 I could feel myself inflating on an almost daily basis and felt as tho my fat suit was a barrier between me & the world… and between me and Me.

I started 5:2 Dec 2017 weighing 179lb/81kg BMI of 28.7… Last Friday I (finally) touched my first goal weight of 140lb/63kg – tho bounced up over the weekend to 143! Along the way I’ve also shed 6.5 inches each from my bust, waist & hips. BMI is now 22.6, Height:Waist ratio 0.43 and I’ve gone down from a stretchy UK size 18 to a svelte UK 10-12!! NB most of the size shrinkage came when I sat on a weight plateau for 10 months – worth remembering that not all progress shows up on the scale.

I’m aiming for a final weight of 133-140, so will settle when the lower end of that sticks. But for now I weigh the same as I did 20 years ago, and that feels better already. I’m also sleeping better than I have in 20 years, concentrating better and less distracted. My skin looks amazing, my energy levels are higher and my chronic pain has reduced. My relationship with food has completely changed, and It’s easier to make healthier choices that meet longer term goals. Who knew?!!

Wherever you are on the journey, stick with it. This WOL works – and it works even better with a bit of support. This is a great group – encouraging, affirming, warm and wise. Great to have you with us 🙂

Day 1, Rocky Mountains, US, NFD

Hello old and new friends,

I joined this wonderful group February 2017 and got rid of about 20 pounds doing 5:2 and IF. I was in maintenance for quite some time but gained a bit back in April/May this year during my last trip to Austria. I reached my upper maintenance range again in June.

Tomorrow my DH and I are taking our new dog Mick 🐕 to our cabin in red rock country for the first time. No fasting until next week but lots of hiking! 😊

Happy Monday! 🌻🌼🌻

I’m going to do it this time.
    July here I come😎

Day 2, Aus, NFD

Had a good WFD yesterday. But why oh why do I always feel so cold on FDs!!

Had my weekly weigh in this morning. No shift for three weeks. I know 3 weeks is hardly a plateau but I’m feeling a little discouraged. At least my weight did not move up.

Thanks for joining me in Dry July, @RedRockGirl. Dry til Fri is almost as good, thanks @brightonbelle – that might be my August “maintenance” plan! Thanks @at.

Welcome @nicholas5172. What did you find difficult with day 2 FDs? I’m assuming you’re not doing them back to back (B2B)? I do mine Mondays and Thursdays and always find the Thursday ones a bit more of a challenge. Not sure if it’s because it’s the end of the week and I’m looking forward to the weekend. Could you change your days up perhaps?

@georgia83 – maybe my caffeine has kicked in this morning but I can’t work out what SW soup is!

So envious of your being able to eat potatoes @rabbette and it not adversely affect you! Salt and vinegar chips (crisps) are my weakeness. (More so than PB, @flourbaby!)

Good luck dealing with your family @jisika. At least YOU know this WOL works, and that might be half the battle in convincing them. Would it help win them over if you solicited some medical advice in your particular case, about the relationship between 5:2 and haemoglobin levels?

Goodness, @stardustdream, you do sound busy! Such a shame your husband doesn’t support you. Lots of people here are persevering despite family pressures to the contrary. We’re on your side!

Ha ha, @daffodil2010, I bet not too many people can brag (despair?) over a 30lb keg of Guiness in the kitchen! But if my maths is correct, eggs won over beer and you’re still down over all.

@bigmarie – “I’m going to do it this time.” And you will! Love the simplicity and clarity of your statement.

Day 1 Eastern WA USA FD (Egg Fast)

I’m posting rather later in the day. Decided on another Egg Fast stretch; probably a 3 day this time rather than a 5 day to start out the month. How long are you going for this time @daffodil2010?

I had a BPC in the morning and then joined a friend for a local hike. The trails were not well marked, so our anticipated one hour hike turned into two. At least the water lasted as the heat increased. We got up high enough to get a couple of good views of the city plus enjoyed the wild flowers along the way…

A little about me at the beginning of the month, I’m recently retired from full time teaching. Still figuring out this next chapter of life. I’m a female in my late 60s. One thing, I’m trying to take care of myself so I can “live till I die”, not just some how make it through. I think fasting is one of the things that can help prevent some of the aging issues that seem to be to common. I’m glad to be down from 245 at the top end to sometimes dipping into the 190s. Beginning this month at 201.2 lbs. For this month I’d like to move downwards; ending the month below 200.

I believe my 1st month on a challenge was Nov. 2016; but I’m not sure. Time is a crazy thing.

Welcome to all newbies and returning friends around the world.
    So many good quotes have already been shared. I thank you for the kick in the pants one @funshipfreddie. No excuses…
    Glad we’re on this journey together!

Day 1 California. FD

The last few weeks I’ve found it difficult to check in as much as I should. I often don’t have much to say as I mostly just get up and go to work and then head home. The most exciting thing that happened today was that I lost my spreadsheet somewhere on the server for four hours!

I’m a 52 year old female 5’2” who started fasting back in December and joined the challenge in January. I went from 139 pounds to a low of 120.8 in June but I didn’t manage to hang on to that weight. Not sure exactly where I’m starting July but I would like to reach 115 and use that as my low point. My body feels all over the place this week so I’m not sure what’s going on.

Welcome to all the new fasters. This is a really great group of people and I’m sure you will feel welcomed.

Day 1 – Fast Day – Maryland, United States (ugh I know) – yogurt, small bowl of pasta, cherries. I should be under 500 calories. I fast Mondays and Thursdays. Mondays are always harder. Good luck to everyone on their diets. I have about 10 pounds to go to reach my weight goal. Seems that the belly fat is the last to go.

Day 1 Ohio, US — MFD

The MFD has gone well. A good start for the month!

A little about my journey — I started posting on this website last August and even with ups and downs the net weight direction has been down. I got down to within 2 lb (.9 kg) of my goal weight in April but saw something of a turn about until mid-June. Now things are back heading steadily downward. I do yoga everyday and try to get 10,000 steps in daily. In adverse weather instead of walking I do tai chi and some qi gong.

@penz I too get quite cold while fasting. There have been scientific studies showing that core temperature and blood pressure go down during a fast. Here’s the url for one such study: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6473694 Beware!
    As far as scientific studies go, this one is a little gruesome!

@redrockgirl302 Have a great week hiking with your DH and Mick!

May we all be Tuesday’s children!

Thanks @matpi. I noted the study you referenced was 35 years old, and dealt with rats, so that prompted me to hunt further for something contemporary and to do with humans. I wanted to know WHY I feel cold! I found this article: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3117452/

It concludes “Long-term CR [calorie restriction] with adequate nutrition in lean and weight-stable healthy humans is associated with a sustained reduction in core body temperature … This adaptation is likely due to CR itself, rather than to leanness, and may be involved in slowing the rate of aging.” I especially like this last part!

The “why” appears to be simply that we use energy to maintain body temperature higher than the ambient temperature. Reducing our core temperature (which is regulated by hypothalamic neurons) is a simple energy saving device.

I had thought that feeling cold in my extremities was due to ‘adipose tissue flow’, where the blood flows to the fat stores to burn them for fuel. Perhaps these two processes interplay.

More research is required!

Day 2 – Switzerland – NFD

Really great to get to know everyone. Yesterday’s FD went fine. Interesting to read about body temperature, thank you @matpi

Have a good day everyone. Our heatwave has finally broken, and I woke at 6am to open all the doors and windows and let fresh air into the house – from 36C yesterday to 22C right now. Bliss!

Day 2, Emden Germany, CD

@and…exhale how lovely to have you back, how is your arthritis? The temperature here also went down, we’re near the coast, a lovely breeze is coming in. The perfect day for gardening.

Day 2 – Ireland 🇮🇪 – NFD

Eggs for the win! One day egg fast and 3lbs party weight gone in the bin!

NFD today. But will have eggs only until later…..there might be some of that Guinness on draught tonight, we have to finish the keg ha ha!

I looked at the spreadsheet and my commitments this week and can’t fit in an egg fast, so @annemarilyn, I will do a 4 day egg fast next week, then go onto transition. Eagerly hoping to see how you get on….you are, after all, my inspiration 2 years ago for my first LFD, so onwards now with the eggs.

@matpi and @penz interesting research about body temperature and fasting. I am a cold creature anyway so winter FD’s are cold for me.

Hey there and welcome @minben, you have made the right decision to start this Way of Life. Don’t get upset with scale readings, soon the benefits of sticking with this fast will show themselves. Reading some of the posts from other members could help, fantastic improvement in health with @michelinme and @at for example.

Welcome too to, @bigmarie and @abogage, looking forward to sharing the journey with you.

@johnnyr I meant to congratulate you on completing that 20km run, I know that was your big challenge due to injury at the start of June. Well done 🏁

@Rabette Loving your stats. Go you!!

So, the reason why I might be factoring in a calorie laden Guinness later is because (a) I am not in work tomorrow due to attending a graduation (b) we have a keg of Guinness which needs to be emptied before we give it back to the event people on Thursday (c) we are having amazing summer nights with endless twilight so a cool Guinness with DH late in the evening sounds fun…….

Sorry for talking alcohol so early…malice a forethought……

I hope everyone who is fasting today has a good one, and those of us who are not, well, let’s be careful out there 😄

Day 2 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – FD

Wow?! So many posts this morning?! I may have to start setting an alarm to catch up! 🤔

I had a very reckless NFD yesterday. I’m giving myself a good talking to this morning, and determined to get back on track. Thinking of trying the egg fast later this month.

@penz – I’ll join you for ‘Dry July’. This is my sixth consecutive dry month.

@annemarilyn – I like that, ‘live til I die’; also, ‘die young as late as possible’.

Day 2 Pocket List
    @funshipfreddie

Day 2, London, UK, FD,

Back to work today and back to my usual B2B2B routine, Phew!!!! The relief is palpable!!!

I fell off of the fasting wagon yesterday, I don’t think I actually had a ‘meal’, just various snacks – cashews, baby tomatoes, cheese & chocolate!! At least there was no booze!!! @penz, (cheese & onion or Wotsits for me) no chance of a Dry July for me since I’m off on my hols (I may have mentioned it already??) on the 12th and there WILL be wine …………… and lots of it!!!!

@daffodil2010, a keg of the ‘black stuff’……………… nice!!! Can you imagine returning it still ¼ full ………………………. You’d be the talk of the town!!!! This weather was made for sitting in the garden enjoying a drink or 5!!!

I ought to do some work, so enjoy your day whether fasting or not!!!

“Don’t let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.” – John R. Woode

Day 2 – Stratford Upon Avon, UK – FD

Day 2 B2B FD – feeling good (but it is only 9.30am!) Busy day today so not expecting to have too much difficulty – although one of my Polish workmates has brought in homemade Polish sausage to share in the office!!!!
    But….I’ve got this – I AM strong and I WILL resist.

Good luck to everyone fasting today!

Day 2 – UK – FD

I have my fast days on Tuesday and Thursday, as I gym on Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
    The older 600 cal. version.
    Lost over 7 kg last year with two FDs a week and found it fine. Finding it hard this time, not sure why!
    I’ve got my BMI down to 24, now would now like it at around 22. I love the numbers involved with losing weight, I’ve become a spreadsheet nerd!

Day 2 UK NFD

Weather much more bearable for me ☀️and feeling positive – it’s a fine line for me though Love reading all the posts and staying in the zone but if I get TOO obsessed find myself setting unrealistic goals and then crash & burning So taking it nice and steady Looking forward to the day I can post some impressive stats @rabbette 💙

Day 2 Pocket List
    @funshipfreddie
    @flourbaby
    @yo-yofletch
    @donkeyshorn

Day 2 UK FD

Hi folks. All OK here. Still breaking the laws of thermodynamics. Ate 550 kcal yesterday. Scales down slightly to 83.1 but still stubbornly around the 83+ mark. I’m guessing some of it is muscle gain from running; my legs are definitely bigger. So I’ve started using the full features of the weighing scales to measure fat (25%) visceral fat (13) etc. I’m trying to ignore BMI as I don’t think it’s that helpful as my genetic make up is of the stocky type (honest!).

Unfortunately my build is from my grandmother’s line. Rose R was built like a Tank, played golf on a daily basis and was Women’s Captain. She was once hit on the head by a golf ball mid competition; bleeding profusely she went off to get her head stitched, then came back to finish her round 🙂

Trying to egg fast but not sure it’s for me unless I adapt it a bit. Started the day with milk in my tea (oops!). I’m sure that’s not allowed on a low carb egg fast.

Take care all. If like me you’re on a mini plateau ( @penz ) stick at it. If you’re still on it this time next week buy some friendlier scales. I swear mine laugh out loud at me as I leave the bathroom… An evil, cruel laugh.

Day 2: Gloucestershire, UK, NFD:

As I’m not at work this week, and therefore near the kitchen able to eat freely, I’m not expecting much of myself. I DO know my weaknesses!
    @brightonbelle: Me too. So glad the very hot weather didn’t last, and our friends in Europe also have relief at last from the African hot air plume. I think we went in the 90s just for Saturday….I was delivering the mail, and it was too much.
    Today is fresh, sunny and breezy…good dog-walking weather.
    Talking of which, @redrockgirl302: I hope Mick enjoys his trip into the country. What could be more fun for a dog than hiking?
    DH got his appointment with the NHS Physio already….because he fell over three times in one day with has leg cramping up around the knee/lower hamstring area, after trying a knee support which hurt him too much. Criteria met!
    He’s gone there this morning. He’ll most likely get a sheet of stretching exercises like I have for my upper hamstrings/buttock/sacral-iliac joint/lower back….or whatever the problem is.

Day 2 UK FD

Hi folks. All OK here. Still breaking the laws of thermodynamics. Ate 550 kcal yesterday. Scales down slightly to 83.1 but still stubbornly around the 83+ mark. I’m guessing some of it is muscle gain from running; my legs are definitely bigger. So, I’ve started using the full features of the weighing scales to measure fat (25%) visceral fat (13) etc. I’m trying to ignore BMI as I don’t think it’s that helpful as my genetic make-up is of the stocky type (honest!).

Unfortunately, my build is from my grandmother’s line. Rose R was built like a Tank, played golf on a daily basis and was Women’s Captain. She was once hit on the head by a golf ball mid competition; bleeding profusely she went off to get her head stitched, then came back to finish her round 🙂

Trying to egg fast but not sure it’s for me unless I adapt it a bit. Started the day with milk in my tea (oops!). I’m sure that’s not allowed on a low carb egg fast.

Take care all. If like me you’re on a mini plateau ( @penz ) stick at it. If you’re still on it this time next week buy some friendlier scales. I swear mine laugh out loud at me as I leave the bathroom… An evil, cruel laugh.

Day 2 Pocket List:

@funshipfreddie
    @flourbaby
    @yo-yofletch
    @donkeyshorn
    @johnnyr

Day 2 UK CD

So my FD yesterday was good. I’m thinking maybe it more of a controlled day – I need to get a bit more scientific about the calories I’m having because I appreciate the whole key of this WOL is the calorie restriction.

I only had fluid until about 2pm. I did have goats milk kefir in the morning which of course has calories. In the afternoon, I had some Greek yoghurt, with nuts, strawberries and honey which although real food again has calories. And I had two nectarines, two apples and cherries!! And then for the real meal of the day was some lean steak with salad and baked vegetables. I have read a lot about eggs in the post and maybe that’s the way I will go in my next FD on Thursday.

I do feel a little less bloated which is a great feeling. And I managed a spin class and a body pump class at the gym. I’m recovering from a stress fracture on my foot in April which has meant my running has stopped but ran 3 miles with the dog yesterday and hopefully healing is nearly complete.

It is very interesting following everybody posts and journeys.

I work from home a fair bit which can lead to temptation but getting inspired by all the strong and lean athletes playing at Wimbledon. I’m 47 but can be inspired to be fit and healthy enough to run around a tennis court.

Day 2 UK FD

I also fell off the fasting waggon yesterday – like @flourbaby by not having a meal and then snacking my way to oblivion. For me it started well with tofu, apples, clementines, berries, avocado, tomatoes, rocket… all good; peanut butter & dried fruit… not so much. Well, too much actually 😀 One of those days to put down to experience (no planning, v tired) – we live and learn.

But not going to let an unwise day derail me this month – time for a quick reset. All it takes to get back on track is one day… and Today will be a better day! Planning a good solid vegetable medley as early supper with plenty of spices to keep my brain happy – and making the time to cook it!

@johnnyr loved reading about your grandmother 🙂

Day 2 Pocket List:

@funshipfreddie
    @flourbaby
    @yo-yofletch
    @donkeyshorn
    @johnnyr
    @michelinme

We all make unwise choices, it’s what we do next that counts 🙂

Day 2 – Boston, USA – FD + short run

Day 1 recap

Committed:

FD – did it. Came in at 474 cals. 300 is probably a better number for me, since I am 5′ 2″, but I’ll take it for now.

Bonus:

Short run – ran 1.3 miles
    Yoga – didn’t do it

Steps: 18,504

Extra bonus – 2.2 lb drop in a day – I love those, even when they are not really real. Ha!

I already did my short run at 5:30 am this morning – just a mile. I’m trying to transition to early morning runs/workouts, to beat the summer heat and to make sure I get it in for the day without excuses. In the interest of habit-building, I’m just telling myself to do a run of any length. Just getting up and out the door in the morning is enough. It feels good to start the day doing something positive for myself.

@penz, I laughed at your soup comment. No matter how many times I looked at that post from @georgia83, all I could think was “Software Soup?”.

@rabbette – niiiiice on the loss. And yes, we totally can do it!

@stardustdream – I am with you on both introversion and not having support from my husband. I just don’t tell him what I am doing, makes life a lot simpler. If I did he would scoff, demoralize AND tell other people. No, thank you. Posting on message boards does not come easily to me, but I think it’s a great support group and gives me some personal accountability as well, so I’m trying to follow through with it this time!

@ciren2 – have you done any yoga? Once things are a less acute, it might help! I know it’s probably not possible right now until you get things managed. I’m so impressed that you are maintaining with this!

Day 2 Pocket List:
    @funshipfreddie
    @flourbaby
    @yo-yo-fletch
    @donkeyshorn
    @johnnyr
    @hedwig6

Day 2 USA (Illinois) CD

Greetings. Did okay yesterday according to MFP calorie counting, some indulgent choices. Isn’t that what we love about this WOL? Will do my best to have a CD today. Yoga tonight.

Must say USA USA USA for our women’s FIFA game against England today!

Onward and downward.

Day 2 USA (VA) NFD

My first fast day in a while went well. I was closer to the 800 calories and would prefer to keep it at 600. Shooting for that tomorrow. Did really well with drinking plenty of water for the first time in quite a while; no soda or sugary drinks at all. Looking forward to Aqua Zumba class soon for some activity. Already feeling a bit better!

Day 2 USA FD

Just checking in! Have a great day, everyone!

Day 2, va, USA, FD B2B

Quick check in- need to go teach. Successful FD Yesterday so today doing a back to back because Wednesday 10 year anniversary. I think we are going to go out for sushi. So NFD. But I plan on making it a OMAD so I’ll start with water fasting. Besides I’m not much on being as hungry anymore when I wake up.

Day 2 Pocket List:
    @funshipfreddie
    @flourbaby
    @yo-yo-fletch
    @donkeyshorn
    @johnnyr
    @hedwig6
    @rabbette B2B

Cheers

Day 2 – USA – NFD

Yesterday was an accidental FD, as I am under the weather…working in retail has its casualties…had a blended family of 7 with strep throat sit in front of me for 1/2 hour while they sorted out their methods of payment, insurances, etc. so I think I may have come down with it, hence, my accidental FD! Going to the dr. to confirm it today.

Day 2 Canton OH NFD first time checking in this month.

Our puppy ginger contracted Parvovirus and got really sick and we had to let her go on Saturday night. My heart is completely broken and it’s been really difficult. I am finally able to talk to about her loss without dissolving into a mess.

I will post again later

Day 2 – Goa, India – CD

@penz sadly my doctor also thinks that fasting is one of the main reasons for my reduced hemoglobin. But I will not give up on this WOL 🙃.

So today was a CD with 852 of healthy calories in a 5hr eating window. Also managed to go for a long walk in the evening. Overall I am feeling very good.

I wish people were more obsessed with eating right and healthy rather than just eating.

Day 2 Wales 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 NFD

Busy day so quick check in, great to see such an enthusiastic start to month.

@basyjames so sorry to read about Ginger xxx

Viewing 50 posts - 51 through 100 (of 619 total)

You must be logged in to reply.