July 2018 Monthly Challenge

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
July 2018 Monthly Challenge

This topic contains 804 replies, has 57 voices, and was last updated by  MoliJ 5 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 551 through 600 (of 810 total)

• Day 20, Surrey (UK), NFD, 156lb

Oh dear. What is the opposite of a whoosh? A SHOOW? That’s what I’ve had this week. A 2lb gain that has kept the door to 10-stone-land firmly shut for the time being. I have a cold and am feeling a tad sorry for myself, so have not been out exercising this week. Have also over-indulged on salty snacks on NFDs, though did stick to the usual 2 FDs. Hey ho. This is life, getting in the way. Time to press the re-set button, I think next week to give me time to get over this cold.

@stitchincarol – thank you for the insights into loose skin. No, I didn’t know about the gradual tightening (or loosening) of skin with weight loss (gain), but what you say makes sense. A further incentive to keep the weight off!

Yes, I have tried yoga in the past and really enjoyed it. There are yoga and Pilates classes at my local gym, which I should try. My focus should be on toning up as much as on sticking to FDs and eating within TDEE. Onwards and downward (dog) onwards!

Day 20 Wales 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 NFD

Yesterday’s FD went well. I meant to weigh in this morning but forgot and as I’ve just had 2 large mugs of tea with breakfast I don’t plan to step on Cruela now!

It does seem quieter than usual here this challenge, I hope it is because everyone is having a wonderful busy time. If you are out there struggling so not posting just remember that the monthly challenges are a tool to support you and to help you succeed…..and intermittent fasting is a healthy way of eating for life, not a race to the target weight finish line. As a proud member of the Tortoise Club I know that slow and steady will get you to goal, so if the going gets tough be kind to yourself, take some time out if needed, but remember if you keep on keeping on just one day at a time you will succeed.

Happy Friday everyone 😎

Day 20 – Japan – FD

I’m way behind and I have to catch a plane this weekend. This is water FD #52. My weight is below 80kg. If it is the same a week from now that will be great as I’m having a physical then. However I’m going to have a hard time fasting very much in August, just too many trips/events etc.

Day 20 UK CD

Hello again. So lovely to read your posts and keep up with how everyone is doing.

I’ve been deeply touched by your kind messages and get well wishes @shinything @diana123 @cornish-jane @rainbowsmile – thank you so much for the votive @anna6 @deborah251 – sorry about the 6lbs 🙂 @missybear @daffodil2010 @at @songbirdme – thinking of you this weekend with your daughter’s wedding. Sorry if i’ve missed anyone. Every message has moved me and helped me keep connected – “To belong means you are missed”

I’m sitting quietly and gently on the waggon, enjoying keeping up with your news posts while taking it easy. I had a couple of days at the end of last week where I stretched myself for exceptional things while fuelled by lucozade and quick snacks of crackers. Glad to have slipped safely back into my usual round of vegetarian food with lots of salads, fruit and nuts.

My body seems to know what it wants and it’s not carbs or sugar! Amazingly I’ve not had any bread – initially because I wasn’t able to make it, and more recently because I’ve just not got the appetite or energy to do all that chewing. Now 3 weeks since getting sick and finding I still fill up easily, lose breath easily and would rather be eating other things. Also I’ve found sweet things far too sweet – I had a few raisins the other day and nearly spat them out bc they were so sugary it fried my brain. Knowing this is a WOL rather than an event gives us something wonderful to fall back on.

Today’s weekly weigh & measure shows I’m 145lbs & have lost another 0.5″ from my waist and hips, 1″ from each thigh and an amazing 1.5″ from my the fat pad on my stomach. Since 1Dec2017 that’s a total of 33lbs and 6-7″ from my whole fat suit.

Wednesday was a really tough day physically, mentally and emotionally. It was my first time out on my own, with a funeral in the morning plus a couple of gentle meetings in the afternoon. The funeral was for a woman in her 90s who’d been an amazing activist and stalwart of the community then struggled in the last few years. She was ready to let go and had had a good death, so it was more a celebration of her life than a mourning but still sad.

Afterwards my first one-to-one meeting turned into something of a personal attack which has left me reeling. I was so glad to have had my head in a good place so I could mostly respond rather than react, but still really tough. It made for a very difficult day and has left me with much to process. Amazingly, even while down and struggling I haven’t succumbed to emotional eating, wasn’t tempted by the idea of sweets or chocolate, bread or cakes, alcohol or anything to dull it down. After an angry, frustrated and sleepless night I turned instead to a meditation course on forgiveness, now sitting with the pain and hoping to be able to feel, process and then let go. So much to learn.

Start where you are, use what you have, do what you can – and let go of the rest. Wishing you all a wonderful weekend, whatever it brings x

Day 20 Stevensville Maryland USA CNFD

Yay it’s Friday and I am off work today. Lot’s of errands and a trip to the doctors for my MIL. Tomorrow is the day we get a visit for my MIL 4 of her great grandsons will be here from out of state. Planning a small crab feast, which mean there will be beer. Need to stay mindful.

You can’t cross the sea, merely by standing and staring at the water. Have a great Friday everyone.

Day 20 – UK – FD
    Day 18-19 – NFD

Apologies for not posting daily this week but have been super busy………

Who said retirement meant an easy life………..BUT I’m loving my life so no complaints ☺️ I turned 60 last month – I’m been below my target weight for over a year and I have an active lifestyle and so lucky to be a healthy person 💃 5:2 has certainly been a life changer for me ❤️

Our yoga practice this week revolved around this “So Hum – I am that. I am all, all is within me, all guides and protects me” sessions were so strong and uplifting and has made this busy week so positive for me 🙏
    A wet cumbrian day today but not cold – still went out for my regular Friday morning walk with my group, we only did around 5km but enjoyed it and got together with the runners afterwards for a cup of tea and a catchup – the gardens and lakes need some rain so feeling grateful

@missybear – so good to hear how wonderful 5:2 has been for you too 🤗
    @beedoo – such a good feeling to fit into that dress – sure hope you did a happy 💃
    @moukinator – when you feel yourself slipping into those bad habits just think about why you started this WOL – it might be your best motivator!
    @shinything – 🤗
    @penz – self love ❤️
    @emma1202 – I loved your way of thinking whilst on holidays – “I tried to pick the indulgences that brought me the most joy and cut on the things that are nice but maybe not worth it” – a bit like I do!
    @cornish-jane – this link has a good recipe and cashew cream is yummy – I have that with a lot of things instead of cream (I am not vegan!)
    Bosh! Ian’s mum’s vegan scones recipe – YOU Magazine
    https://www.you.co.uk › Food
    @rainbowsmile – 20lbs is definitely a lot – for now just enjoy the good feeling of fitting into the dress perfectly if a bit loose!!!!👗You have come a long way and your journey has not ended yet!!!
    @sarahbob – I felt your pain from your post – hopefully both you and 👶are feeling better 🤗
    @redrockgirl302 – sounds like you had a fab hiking holiday for your birthday x
    @shimmera – well done on dispatching those 18lbs and releasing 10.5 inches 👍
    @dykask – good to know that you are still with us – I sympathise about the hot weather 30+ and humidity as well is too much!
    @Strawberriesandcream – Size 10 sounds good to me and yoga will certainly help tighten up a bit – if you feel good in your skin that is the best thing 🧘‍♀️ I am so happy that you have conquered your 🍷😈 and are feeling strong and positive
    @siano – congratulations on that 12.5lb loss
    @songbirdme – sounds like a perfect weekend – enjoy the whole thing and build some lovely memories of a special time x
    @daffodil2010 – I do hope that you discover the joys of practising yoga – it has been a life changer for me
    @michelinme – firstly a big hug 🤗 so sad to read that your meeting turned into a personal attack but it sounds like you are dealing with it in a positive way using “a meditation course on forgiveness, now sitting with the pain and hoping to be able to feel, process and then let go.” Celebrate getting to 145lbs and that loss of 33lbs and 6-7″ since 1 Dec 2017 – way to go! Also hoping your recovery continues – slow and steady does it – these are for you 💐
    @diana123 – have a wonderful day tomorrow with your MIL and 4 of her great grandsons who will be there from out of state and enjoy the crab feast – one my favourite food in any form!

Like many others here have said I too only have one meal on my FDs – these days I rarely go over 400 cals but even if I get to 800cals I still count it as a FD! I learnt very early on that I could not spread 500cals over 2 meals and feel satisfied – I find it easier not to eat at all…….on occasions I still do low cal liquid fast day involving a glass of my Kefir before bed over a 40hr period.

I am out tomorrow with my DD looking for a dress for her to wear at her wedding – she is not having a traditional wedding and just wants to find a dress that makes her feel happy to wear on the day – isn’t that a lovely way to go about it?

Wishing everyone a wonderful Friday – enjoy the weekend.
    I love this quote from Roald Dahl “If you have good thoughts they will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely”

Day 20 NSW Australia NFD
    (10.55pm Friday)

Hi everyone.
    Just checking in!

I hope you all enjoy the weekend and whatever you are getting up to. Bye for now!

NFD today. Going to be a rainy day. Not much plan.
    Prayers to the families who were on the duck boat. I’ve seen these car/boats and while they look like fun, they are a death trap. This happen in my hometown years ago.
    Everyone stay safe in the heartland.

Day 20, UK, NFD

Successful FD yesterday led to weight go up again! I don’t have any idea whats going on in my body but whatever it is its not due to eating. Which makes me worried a little ….

Thank you for the words of support @kaywesterman, @emma1202, @at (sorry if I missed anyone) it means a lot 🙂 . Even though I’m not having a good time at the moment this forum is still keeping me afloat x

So many posts to answer later when I get back home ….. but just wanted to say good to see you posting @michelinme and good to hear you are on your way to full recovery 👍 , and sorry to hear about that meeting turning into a personal attack, how dare people behave like that! It made me so angry to read that 😡 . But you are dealing with that the right way. People like that should not be given importance in our lives or our time and energy. Hope you feel better now xx

Have a great day everyone and stay strong 💪

Day 20 UK NFD

I’m sorry I haven’t checked in for a few days I have a poorly baby. He has a nasty chest infection so obviously my alternate fast days have been a bit messed up. I hope to get back on track over the weekend.

I hope you all have a lovely Friday. Sending you all positive vibes.

Day 20 USA (Utah) NFD

Family is arriving from all parts of the country – the wedding will be marvelous tomorrow! More arrive today.

I am glad I saved calories for supper last night: big Jimmy John’s sub sandwich that was delicious. Even ate vinegar & salt potato chips with it. Scale this morning still has me right on maintenance.

Hugs to you all — have a safe and terrific weekend.

Onward and downward.

Hi all, I haven’t gone away you know day 20 NI NFD – . Just been really busy in work and I have been concentrating on fitness after work – now on week 7 of couch 2 5k and plan to do a park run tomorrow just to give me an idea of what I need to do. Not sure if I had told you that I have signed up for 2 5k’s in August and just wish the scales would show a big drop instead of the bouncy bouncy, I’m sure my knees would appreciate a lighter load. However I know while I watch the fitness I am inclined to take my eye of the food intake and the little voice tells me – go on – all that exercise, what harm can it do? Need to learn to juggle a little better and watch all the balls while up in the air rather than watch one and drop the other.

@songbirdme – have a fantastic time at the wedding x

I was at the hairdressers yesterday and tried to catch up on some posts – some very personal stories and I am so pleased that you felt you could share here.
    It was like catching up on old friends hearing your news and what you are up to. My hugs to all who need one and healing thoughts to those who are getting better.

@backtothefuture – saw your name pop up and so pleased. Hope you are doing well and so nice of you to drop in – don’t let it be so long again.

Will do some more reading of posts hopefully later, Love and hugs x

Day 20, Rocky Mountains, US, CD

Finally finished reading all the posts. Yes, indeed it was a great hiking birthday weekend. This is how I like to spend special days nowadays.
    Thank you very much for your lovely birthday wishes @strawberriesandcream, @shinything, @diana123, @at, @songbirdme, @missybear, @kaywesterman, @anna6, @debster251, @mjrbcd44. I apologize if I forgot to thank somebody else. 😊💐🌺

@songbirdme: Have great wedding tomorrow! 😊

@at: love the Roald Dahl quote! 😊

Have a great Friday everyone! 🌻🐞🦋

Day 20 Belfast NFD

Rain overnight and today has left things looking so much greener.

@daffodil2010 hope your van got through its test. I can recommend Roundwood. Lots of good walking nearby, including Glendalough, close to Bray and the village itself boasts a few pubs and restaurants all within easy walking distance!
    @cornish-jane I think you’ve hit the nail on the head. Very few thin people are that way by accident. Interestingly, I have a naturally thin friend who has a voracious appetite and never seems to put on weight. However, she eats far too much sugar and as she is now in her fifties, I see the signs of a tummy emerging, so I guess it catches up with all of us. You have a great strategy for sure.
    @strawberriesandcream – it’s funny how all of a sudden you kinda know you’ve got here. The first places to lose weight for me were my boobs and face so I got scrawny early on! Congratulations on fighting that wine dragon.👍
    @emma Taylor – 👏a fantastic achievement. You should be so proud of yourself.
    @songbirdme enjoy every moment of your day.

Having watched ‘the Truth about Carbs’a while ago, yesterday I did the cracker test. In a nutshell, you eat a cracker. If the taste changes in your mouth within 30 seconds, you process carbs well. The longer it takes, the less well you process carbs (due to the amylase enzymes in your mouth?). Well, the taste never changed at all for me, so I guess I should avoid carbs?! In my search for mindful eating that must be my next quest

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-44368601

Stronger than yesterday.

Day 20, USA (Nebraska), NFD

It’s been most of this week since I checked in. I was doing yard work on Monday (sweeping the front sidewalk of dirt on the edges and twigs and rocks and fallen green leaves) when I suddenly had a massive pain in my hip–I’m quite sure I pulled that muscle. Tuesday was supposed to be a fast day, but instead it turned into a feast day, complete with walnut shortbread. Wednesday and Thursday were pretty much slug days.

sigh

Why do we do this to ourselves?? (Because I know I’m not alone: I’ve read other reports where the same thing happened.) So today I’m starting where I am, and working on loving myself and silencing the inner-scolding. I do already feel better for having read a few of the comments.

And part of loving myself means I’m taking myself off to the gym even though I’ve been working on avoiding it for the last four hours, lol! The treat afterward is that I get to go to the quilt shop and look for a particular fabric that just came out and buy it–there are not only no calories involved in that, but this is a planned purchase, as I’ve been staying out of fabric shops, and this is my reward for no mindless buying over the past two months!

So here’s to a strong day for all of us, and I’ll try to check in more regularly!

Day 20, Gozo, Malta, cd

Yesterday’s fd was more 950 calories. @at you’re an inspiration. I’d like to reach target and maintain this time. I’m 67.4 kilos. I’d like to be 63 or 64 kilos. I have 4 kilos to lose.

Today I stayed below tdee. A cd.

Have a great weekend everyone. Onwards and downwards.

Day 20 London UK FD

Today wasn’t a planned FD but turned out to be a very busy day. Got to mid afternoon, logged food on My Fitness Pal and realised I’d only had around 250 cals. Decided to save the rest for the evening, had a delicious homemade daal with red split lentils and courgette, and felt great for it.

Also finally after thinking about it for months, I did day 1 of 30 Day Shred. Felt so proud of myself! And of course now that I’ve written it here I’ll have to stick at it and do all 30 days!

Haven’t had a chance to catch up on all the posts but I hope everyone has had/is having a great day.

Day 20 – USA – NFD

@emma1202, try Amazon.com.

Day 21 NSW Australia NFD

Hi to each of you – enjoying reading all your posts.

@songbirdme – enjoy your special day. Have lots of fun and make enjoyable memories!

Have a great weekend and enjoy whatever you are getting up to and bye for now!

Day 21 – Ireland 🇮🇪 – NFD

Off to work. As its a dull day I am kind of hoping it will keep sales of micro herbs and edible flowers down (don’t tell my boss I said that ha ha 😉) as I am tired from the super busy week already!!

Had a rather carb laden day yesterday which I am feeling now. Bloated, and my face looks puffy. Somebody was asking about the types of food that causes bloating, well for me it’s definitely white carbohydrates such as bread, rice, pasta, and yesterday’s devil …..oven chips 😁

Lots of water and I have a detox tea to take before I go to work. Will drown it out.

Looking forward to the rest of the weekend.
    DH is cooking tonight and we will have mussels for starter, and then hake fillets a la DH. Can’t wait 🤗

@songbirdme Have a wonderful time at the wedding. You will be a fabulous Mother of the Bride 🍾
    @debster251 I haven’t done the cracker test but I would say I would be like you with carbs. Oh well.
    @sarahbob I hope your baby is on the mend. Hugs to you both.
    @shinything and hugs to you too…you are not having a nice time of it on the scales…I hope the Whoosh Fairy visits you soon
    Thanks @at, I am really looking forward to my first step into yoga

Have a great Saturday everyone.

Day 21, UK, NFD

Day 21 Wales 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 NFD

Feeling rough this morning, too much 🍷last night. In the never again frame of mind, seriously thinking I need to cut back on alcohol, a couple of dry weeks at least.

@songbirdme have a wonderful day 🎉
    @sarahbob hope poorly baby is improving.

Enjoy the weekend everyone 🙂

Day 21, Gozo, Malta, cd

I ate stir fried chicken with no rice noddles with it though that’s wat I served to the other members of the family. About 400 calories. I also had three white coffees with honey.

I’ll have something light for this evening so it could be a controlled day.

Have a great day everyone especially you songbirdme.

Day 21, Guildford UK, MFD

@anna6 we are almost body twins, your current weight is mine and your goal is my next step. I am looking for 58 kilos, happy at 61 and 63 to 64 my upper limit.

@michelinme sending you rainbow strength.

@redrockgirl missed saying happy birthday to you, I think it was in my big disappearing post but let me say it now even if belated.

@beedoo it’s going well I think superb in fact.

I am well aware that I volunteered to host August and have been testing the spreadsheet. Does anyone know how to save it with a new name? Does it save on Google docs? I assume I can create a new link on it?

It’s the only bit that worries me, the tech bit.

Mari

Day 21, USA (Nebraska), NFD

Well, after two decent eating-days in a row, I’m down to 154–two pounds up from the beginning of the month, rather than the two pounds further down I was intending. So, I’ll start (again!) from here.

I’m realizing that the biggest problem is proving to be that our fast days are not consistent enough. Yes, that’s one of the beauties of this WOL, that FDs can move according to life, but I think I’m abusing that too far. At the same time, our life this summer is such that there’s not a great deal I can do about it. Next week, I have a meeting on Monday where I’ll be expected to have a piece of dessert (although I think I can pass on that without hurting anyone’s feelings), Tuesday is blood drive day, and one of my donors always brings pizza and will be entirely wounded if I pass (plus I wouldn’t have the will power, I’m certain), Wednesday, we’re meeting with a couple who want my husband to perform their wedding ceremony (he’s a pastor), Thursday is the only day we could do a FD, because Friday, we’re having a dinner party. I’m looking forward to the school year (I teach piano lessons after school, and DH has confirmation classes, and we both have much firmer schedules) to get us back into a rhythm of consistency!

In the meantime, I’m proud of myself for two TDEE days in a row, and looking forward to pulling it off again today. Thanks, everyone, for all your collective wisdom and failures and kindness and courage; it’s so helpful to me!

“I’ve never met a strong person with an easy past.” Here’s to a strong day, no matter how not-easy!

Day 21, USA (Nebraska), second post

There are so many people I’d like to respond to, but I simply don’t have time. But I do have to recognize that @songbirdme‘s daughter is getting married today. My own married 12/26/15, and that day ranks up in the top ten of all days. Have fun!

Day 21 – USA – NFD

Day 21 London UK NFD

Another 1/2lb down after my unplanned FD yesterday. Weight loss definitely slowing down as I approach target weight. I’m ok with that as slightly dreading maintenance! Anticipating an increase tomorrow as I’m seeing a friend tonight which will involve wine and naughty food. In preparation I’ve stayed under 250 cals so far today. Will squeeze in Day two of 30 Day Shred workout before I head out and planning to walk the hour and a half to my friends house. Have been very conscious of alcohol intake since starting 5:2 and am enjoying feeling clear headed, already dreading the sore head tomorrow!

@songbirdme I hope you are having the most glorious time at your daughter’s wedding today with all your nearest and dearest!

@sarahbob I hope your little one is feeling better. Mine had such a horrible case of gastroenteritis a few weeks ago. Fully recovered now but it disrupted his sleep and he’s still waking in the night now!

@coda Week 7 of Couch 2 5k – that’s great progress! And good job on signing up to some runs. Such satisfaction in running and finishing one of those. It’s been a long time since I did and I don’t think I could jog to the end of my road now! Starting the program was one of my goals this month and was beating myself up about not doing it. But instead I’ve started Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred workout so not all bad I guess.

@michelinme I hope you are continuing to feel better and are taking things at a pace that suits you. How awful that someone should feel the need to be so rude to you. As my mother always said, if you don’t have anything nice to say, say nothing. Thank goodness you have such a strong attitude. Your course on forgiveness meditation sounds just the thing (and that person could probably do with it themselves!)

@cornish-jane and @debster251 Re others maintaining a healthy weight without fasting, I have a couple of friends who also seem to be able to eat anything they want and as much of it as they like. One is into fitness in a big way, she runs, cycles and swims a lot. Lucky for her she enjoys it too!
    The other I used to envy as she eats anything she wants and does no exercise whatsoever. However, now that we are older I do wonder and worry about her health. She rarely cooks food from scratch, and eats a lot of takeaways, chocolate, etc. That cannot be doing her any good in the long run. Like Debster said, these things do catch up with you in the long run.

@at your posts are always so motivational. How wonderful to have maintained under your target weight of over a year. Being active and healthy is such a blessing and one that’s all too easy to take for granted until something happens. I hope I can repeat your words in the future!

Right better go and do this workout rather than just writing about it!

OK poo.

Apparently when we water fast the following happens:

1. 35% of poo is water this ups to 50% partly because the gut produces more slime to ease the passage.
    2. 25% of poo is Gut biome and dead cells from the gut lining. This increases the volume of poo. The body also dumps more end products into the gut as a yipppppeee factor. Including dead brain and blood cell bits via the bile. Which goes into overdrive.
    3. The impacted stuff gets shed slowly and gut motility increases.
    ————————–

Believe it or not someone swallowed cameras to track all this!

And others had biome transfusions from thin people.

—————————

So the bloating is mainly gas and excesses water being dumped.

The gut biome changes very fast. Those little peskers that feed off carbohydrate die off and get replaced by those that feed on protein and fat. This is the stinky phase.

What fascinated me is that these gut biome produce hormone equivalents, as the carbs increase they produce fat storage hormones which have an insulin effect. As the carbs go down they produce fat burning hormones which have a ‘fat cell go let go of fat to make sugar’ as in this host won’t die.

Little so and so those gut biomes. Making me a porker.

So these things are independent of us driving our metabolism and fat storage.

So @beedoo what is the bloating? It’s a combo of water and gas with happy waste product dumping. Uncomfortable but apparantly a good thing.

More than anyone wanted to know.

But I was seriously worried where was all that waste coming from? So now I know.

The first long fast causes the biggest effect. After that it’s catch up. I guess I have 64 years of stuff to go. It’s referred to as autopagy. I am now officially a nerd.

Mari

Day 21 London UK NFD

@rainbowsmile haha, I love that you are now a poo need! Fascinating facts, thanks for sharing!

I’ve just completed my second workout, 2 down and 28 to go. Feeling the burn in my thighs and it feels good!

Day 21, UK, NFD

Its been an ok day, not the best but not the worst either. The weight is not good, and I’m back to where I was in May 😧 . Ah well ….

@songbirdme I hope you are having a fabulous time at the wedding 💃

@sarahbob hope poorly baby is feeling better, hugs to both of you 🤗

@daffodil2010 thank you for the Whoosh Fairy wish 🤗 , I can hope 🙂

@rainbowsmile I created a blank spread sheet for your challenge as I said I would, use it if/how you wish 😀 , here it is:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wFZJig95ttERr4_doYGWp8FnZBIKE5yBuGUULyeuFcw/edit?usp=sharing
    All the names are there, just without data 🙂

Have a great weekend everyone ❤

Day 21 – UK – FD

So tired after an unsuccessful day shopping with DD for a dress for her to wear when she gets married in September……..we walked miles and she tried on at least a dozen dresses…..2nd time lucky perhaps…….

Yesterday did not end up a FD but happy to say that today did coming in at around 576cals – happy with that!

@sarahbob – hope your poorly baby starts to feel better soon 🤗
    @songbirdme – was thinking of you today whilst out with my DD shopping with her to find a dress for her wedding in September – hope everything was wonderful for you
    @coda – great to hear from you – hopefully you will find a way to juggle intake whilst building up your fitness to complete the 5km you are working towards 🏃‍♀️
    @redrockgirl302 – Agree – it’s a great one!
    @stitchincarol – you can do this – stay with the challenges as it is a great motivator and helps keeps you accountable 🤗
    @beedoo – thank you for your kind words x

Right I’m off to have a shower and then bed to read for a bit – I suspect I will sleep well tonight 😴

Hope everyone is having a great weekend and enjoying life 😍

“The most important thing is to enjoy your life—to be happy—it’s all that matters.”
    ― Audrey Hepburn

Day 22, Cornwall UK, NFD

Having a great time with our visitors but not making good food choices. Refused to buy any crisps but then ate loads of nuts (and other bad things)! It feels like failure to come on here and admit to poor choices – you think I would have learned after more than a year on 5:2. Thanks @missybear for reminding me to be here. I am looking forward to fasting on Monday.

@at thanks for the vegan scone and cream recipe. It looks good so I will be trying that for the up coming birthday celebration. I am having to relearn a lot of cooking skills to follow my plant based eating. Avoiding dairy in cooking is tricky, especially when baking. But its just changing habits.

@daffodil2010 – enjoy your yoga. I had a shaky start as the first teacher wasn’t really for me but my second teacher Sophie is absolutely brilliant. And I’ve found a great substitute class for when sophie is not around. So i guess i’m saying that you may be lucky and hit on a great class, but if not, try others to find a good match for you. And i hated back bends to start with and now love them for the stretch and how great my bod feels afterwards. You can see i am a yoga fan!

And @at – love the Dahl quote. Some days i go round muttering in my head about the things not going my way and now wonder what my face looks like!

Stay happy all🌻

Day 22 Belfast NFD

My parcels arrived and I spent half an hour of trying on clothes. I ordered too many, to give myself a choice, but I’ve now given myself a dilemma, because they are all great. I think OH was shocked at the weight I’ve lost because he finally saw the new skinny me, not the me in the same old clothes! I’ve decided to get a new haircut on Tuesday to complete the look!🤪

@sarahbob – hope your little one is feeling better.
    @stitchincarol hope your hip gets better soon
    @shinything – hang in there!
    @at – does your yoga involve meditation too? It sounds great.
    @beedoo – I was reading about a study on visceral fat. Many people who seem to be trim often carry too much visceral fat, which is of course the worst kind. As someone who has reached a satisfactory weight, but has a waist that is too large, that is of particular interest to me. So I agree with you, the bottom line is all about the quality of the food we eat. Hence my never ending fight against the sugar dragon! 🐉🗡 well done on that day 1 of the shred!
    @coda – well done you on your running progress
    @rainbowsmile what an interesting post! You can be our go to poo expert!

I’m still hovering within my acceptable weight range, albeit nearly at the top end. Next week I’m going to focus on lowering it be a couple of pounds
    Today I want you to think about all that you are, not all that you’re not.

Day 22. Yorkshire. UK
    Just had our yearly big family get together. Great fun. There’s lots of potential for problems but it went really well and I realise how lucky I am to have a big, and happy family, with all its complicated members. And a new generation on the way. 2 great nephews here already, and two more babies coming before the end of the year.

Finally got back to fasting, after what seems like months of not managing to fit FDs in. Had a really good fast day on Thursday, and didn’t eat until Friday evening. Just felt so happy. It felt lovely to not be eating and to feel in control of my body again.

Hope everybody has a good Sunday. Best wishes. H

2nd post
    On fast days, I try to stick to black coffee and water, and raw veg. You can eat tons of raw cauliflower, which I like, and stay well under 500 calories. Just sayin’

Day 22 Wales 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 NFD

All this enthusiasm for yoga is making me want to join in! Can’t immediately as tomorrow I’m off to Bristol again to see the vascular surgeon for follow up and probably more leg vein injections…… but once the legs are recovered I intend to seek out a yoga class.

@at I understand your DD’s frustration at finding a suitable dress. After many years of living together OH and I are getting married in August, an intimate untraditional ceremony, and I almost gave up on finding a dress. Then I stumbled on the one in Monsoon, on the sale rack, so not only gorgeous and appropriate but a bargain too 😊 Tell DD to keep looking, especially in unlikely places, persistence is rewarded!

Not likely to be a FD for me tomorrow as I will be eating dinner at the hotel, but I will choose wisely from the menu to keep it as low cal as possible.

Happy Sunday all 🤗

Hi all day 22 nfd
    I read this and thought I would share
    Here’s the question:

‘I used to eat real clean and maintained a caloric deficit. For some strange reason I get extreme craves for sweets these days. I give in. Then my mind is like, any way you cheated a lot so why not eat this and that and I eat all the crap. I want to give up these habits and live a healthy lifestyle.’

~

The problem is the way you’re labelling food.

By labelling certain foods as ‘Clean’ or ‘Healthy’ and others as ‘Dirty’ and ‘Unhealthy’–you’re creating a ‘good’ and ‘bad mentality towards food. And in doing so, you set yourself up for failure from the get-go.

Firstly, the more you restrict things the more your craving for that food increases. (What I call The Pink Elephant Problem.) Secondly, these labels (clean/healthy/good versus dirty/unhealthy/bad) then become attached to your self-worth: When you’re eating foods you’ve deemed ‘good’–you see yourself as a ‘good’, disciplined person who can stick to their diet; and when you eat the foods you’ve deemed ‘bad’–you see yourself as a ‘bad’, undisciplined person who can’t stick to their diet. This is problematic because as people we have an inherent tendency toward the negativity bias:

The negativity bias, also known as the negativity effect, refers to the notion that, even when of equal intensity, things of a more negative nature (e.g. unpleasant thoughts, emotions, or social interactions; harmful/traumatic events) have a greater effect on one’s psychological state and processes than neutral or positive things. In other words, something very positive will generally have less of an impact on a person’s behavior and cognition than something equally emotional but negative.’ – Wikipedia

This is why you eat well for a week but then have one bad day of eating and that one bad day has more of an impact on you than the entire week of eating well. Even though rationally you may know one bad day of eating won’t have that much of an impact on progress, you can’t help but ruminate on that one bad day (or one bad meal).

So: ‘stuff it, I’ve ruined my diet, might as well carry on eating this way.’

Now, you feel bad because you ate all these ‘bad’ foods and you’re such a bad person because you can’t stick to a diet. Then you promise yourself that come Monday you’re going to be ‘good’ again and not eat these ‘bad’ foods.

But, alas, a few days in and you’re right back where you started. You’ve now created a negative feedback loop that only solidifies the belief that you’re a ‘bad’, undisciplined person who can’t stick to their diet.

But, the problem isn’t you–it’s the label.

Here’s something that will help: I call it the Two Baskets Theory.
    Imagine you have two baskets. One basket is labelled ‘More Optimal’ and the other basket is labelled ‘Less Optimal’.

In the More Optimal basket you have all the foods that we know to be more optimal for your goals because they’re lower in calories, more filling, and provide ample amounts of vitamins, minerals, and fibre. In the Less Optimal basket you have all the foods that are less optimal for your goals because they’re higher in calories, not as satiating, and provide fewer amounts of all the good stuff–BUT, they’re great for you mentally because these foods taste great and you enjoy them.

Your goal with the two baskets is simple: you want to keep the More Optimal basket filled up slightly more than, or at the least equal to, the Less Optimal basket.

This works great because you can keep a mental cue of each. So, if you went out for lunch and enjoyed a meal that was less optimal, you simply add that meal to your Less Optimal basket and then ensure that your next meal contains foods that you can put into your More Optimal basket.

Example: “Hm, ok, so I had pizza for lunch (because why wouldn’t you eat pizza for lunch?), that’s ok because I’ll just make sure dinner contains lots of veggies and lean proteins.”

Another example: If you’ve been great with your diet during the week and you know you’ll be going out on the weekend, you won’t be stressing out because you know that your More Optimal basket is looking healthy, so you can fit in and enjoy some of the less optimal foods that will fill up your Less Optimal basket.

One final example: If you got a bit loose on the weekend and ate like an asshole, instead of freaking out about it you can just make a note that your Less Optimal basket is kinda full, so for the next week you’ll be paying more attention to filling up your More Optimal basket.

Using the Two Basket Theory as a mental cue works great for a few reasons:
    1. You’re no longer viewing foods as good or bad, rather, as more optimal or less optimal. Words matter, and more/less optimal is less intimidating than good/bad. (‘This food is bad for me’ versus ‘This food is less optimal for me.’)

2. It’s a great reminder of responsibility. Ok, so you ate poorly for a day–cool, now stop messing around and get back on track with your diet and goals. (And eat some goddamn veggies.)

3. It reduces the ‘stuff it’–all or nothing–attitude towards your diet. This is the best part of the Two Baskets Theory–if you eat more of the less optimal foods on one day, you can just make up for it by eating more optimal foods the next day. Knowing you can do this, greatly reduces the all or nothing approach to your goals.

I hope I removed the expletives and replaced with more forum friendly words but apologies if I missed any.

Day 22, Gozo, Malta, nfd

Coda thanks so much for your long informative and highly educational post. It discribes how I view food since before starting this wol. Optimal basket and less optimal basket. It’s true. Your description is spot on.

Rainbowsmile.id love it more to become 61 kilos but would be content with 64 or 63 kilos. How tall are you? I’m 163 cm and how old are you? I’m 57 years old.

Yesterday evening I ate two thirds of a pizza. I also had a banana, 2 figs from our tree in the garden and some chocolate. So I didn’t eat light. Guess what this morning I weighed 66.9 kilos down by 0.6 kilos from yesterday.

Today I had some Chinese food but no noodles. I made a new recipe from Mary Berry s latest cake book, a red velvet brownie tray bake and I ate a piece.

This afternoon I’m going to the beach with my daughter and grandson and I’ll have something light for dinner.

Tomorrow is a fast day for me, the first of a B2B2B.

Have a great Sunday everyone. Onwards and downwards

Day 22- Florida

NFD today. Weighed in at 173.9lbs. I dropped a few more ounces. I may meet my July goal of 172.
    I’m amazed at how much I have lost since starting this. I remember before I started, I was depressed and thinking not even trying, just be happy. I couldn’t accept my weight and was having a great pity party. Something kicked in and I got off the pity pot. 🙂 So glad I did. While I can tell a difference in how my clothes are fitting, I don’t see much change in appearance. Anyone else has this?

Hope everyone has a great Sunday.

2 Nd post

Missybear congratulations 🎉 on your getting married to your OH. May you have many happy 😃 returns.

DAY 22 USA (Utah) CD

The wedding was absolutely beautiful! Ever so glad the family got here, and we love the groom’s family as well. Our daughter looked gorgeous. Great food all the way around.

Flying home early tomorrow, so hopefully will keep up with posts soon.

Onward and downward.

Day 22 and 21, Rocky Mountains, US, NFDs

Checking in. Will catch up on posts later.

Have a good Sunday everyone! 😊🐞🦋

Day 22 London UK FD

@coda thanks for your post – makes for a very interesting and relatable read. Have pasted it into my notes so I can reread at my leisure, and refer to whenever I slip up.

@kaywesterman I understand what your feeling. Most of the time I don’t think I can see a difference however i do sometimes catch a glimpse of myself I notice a change here and there. On a positive note, when I see friends I’ve not seen in the past month they have commented and asked if I’ve lost weight (I’ve not told many people about doing 5:2) so I think something must be working! I guess we are so used to what we’ve seen in the mirror for so long and it’s that we see?

@missybear you’re getting married next month!! That is so exciting! Congratulations! It is the most wonderful day and I hope you enjoy every moment.

And on the subject of weddings @songbirdme delighted to hear you had a wonderful time at your daughters big day. Am sure it was full of memories to last a lifetime.

I’ve had such a long day today. Had such a lovely evening with my friend. A couple of glasses of prosecco and an Indian takeaway. I thoroughly enjoyed it all and it was an evening that was good for my soul if not my waistline! She is a dear, dear friend but sadly is moving with her husband and two young children to Denmark where her family are from. I’m so happy for her but dreadfully sad to be losing her. We have shared many many milestones over the years… building up our careers, finding love, mending broken hearts, buying first homes, getting married, having our babies. So I guess I’ve been reflecting a lot today and feeling a little sad. Also Monday tomorrow and I have a case of the Sunday night blues.

Argh, I really need to lift myself out of this and look at some positives! Okay:
    – Have had a wonderful few days with my husband and son
    – Although my weight was (unsurprisingly) up this morning it’s still lower than it’s been in two whole years!
    – I have just completed Day 3 of 30 Day Shred – feeling its effects across my abdomen today…I have abs there somewhere under the flab!
    – Am only doing a two day week at work this week as I have a lieu day to take. On Wednesday I have a whole day entirely to myself as son will be at nursery. This is SO exciting. Not planned anything yet but determined to either pamper myself or get my sewing machine out and make something for myself. Not something I’ve done in a very long time but I got some lovely fabric recently and I’d love to have a project on the go.

That’s made me feel a lot better! Hope everyone is well and having a good day.

I read this the other day and thought it very appropriate “It might be a slow process but quitting won’t speed it up”

nfd

Day 22, Guildford UK, CFD

Very very tired today.

@shinything thank you, I bow to your super skill set and you are my girl crush.

@sarahbob, I included you and the baby in my Sunday votive

@debster251 if I have to been known for knowing, let it be poo.

@anna6, 164cm and 64 the weight isn’t going quickly now, I have to work hard at it. The next 7lbs will really change my body shape. Not a lot in weight but a great deal in shape I think.

All good, must go loo 😎

Mari

Day 22 – USA – NFD

Only 2 FDs this month, tsk, tsk. Too much fun and games! @debster251, happy for you! @emma Taylor, so glad to hear you navigated family outing without complications; @beedoo, love your musings! @songbirdme, happy the wedding turned out well! Safe home! @missybear, congrats on your upcoming wedding! What day will it be? @kaywesterman, loved your comment re: “pity pot”.

3rd post

Rainbowsmile how much do you weigh now? We’re nearly the same height too.

Second Post

@anna6 I have hit just under 68 kilos as at 30 June

Mari

2nd post
    Inspired by so many but especially @debster251 (Well done you!) @daffodil2010, @strawberriesandcream and others I’m going to give 4:3 a go for a few weeks to see if I can shift some serious lbs. I’ve already lost 7 of what I gained back since my op but have still some making up to do. Bone broth made and Kefir at the ready I’m joining you @anna6 for a b2b2b.
    @debster251 I’ll have to get that link again as I can’t find my bookmark for those dresses.
    Well done everyone x

Viewing 50 posts - 551 through 600 (of 810 total)

You must be logged in to reply.