January: new year, new resolutions. Join this great group!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
January: new year, new resolutions. Join this great group!

This topic contains 708 replies, has 45 voices, and was last updated by  Flaquita 4 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 709 total)

• I am happy to begin 2020 leading this challenge! We have a diverse and supporting group of fasters, and very welcoming to anyone to join in.

It’s hard to believe that @coda started this series of monthly challenges way back in May 2016 and so many of us have had amazing support to start and continue on our 5:2 journey.

So, here’s how this works (same as it has always been):

1. Start your daily post with the day of the month, where you are from, and if you’re on a fast day (FD); a non-fast day (NFD) or a controlled day (CD) (e.g. for 1st of December it would go something like “Day 1 – UK – FD”).

2. Give a quick intro about yourself in the very first post – mostly for the benefit of the newbies. A brief blurb about your journey so far and what you aim get from this way of life (WOL). Also if you wish, your starting weight and any other measurements (waist, hip, bust etc) you aim to keep track of throughout the month. You can record this on the spread sheet or if you are unable to I’m happy to fill it in for you!

3. You can add any comments/questions/moans/whinges/triumphs… or anything you feel like you want to share with the rest of the forum. We all have good days and bad days, days we fall off the wagon and days when we hang in there for dear life………so if you want to share it – post it.

Recipes, tips, tricks and questions can also be shared – most of us are logged on at one time or another and can clarify things, offer advise, support etc when needed – this is the great thing about this international forum, there’s always someone online!!!!

Over the course of these monthly challenges, there have been small groups doing their own mini-challenges – called ‘pocket fasters’ or ‘pocketeers’ – they set a target and support each other through it. Anyone can join one of these groups or start a mini pocket fast – it’s entirely optional and flexible.

5:2 basics – answers to many FAQs plus top tips:
    https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

I will post the link to the spreadsheet as soon as I have it established.

Day -3. USA VA, I’m an introvert but need the motivation and support, I believe, of doing this challenge with others. Next post on Day 1. Thanks to all!

Thank you @songbirdme for hosting.

@luce68 this is a good place to find some support.

——me
    I’m not fasting to lose weight anymore, maybe I should but I think I’ll be fasting likely twice a week after the first week is over. Normally I do a 36 hour water fast over Friday but I’m going to skip it this time. I’ll be taking my son to the airport and I want to have lunch with him before he goes. My fasting is more for maintain health and weight.

I think I’ll be posting here but maybe not everyday. I’m really worried about how I’m going to retire and am putting effort into that. It isn’t hopeless as we will have a home in Japan that is pretty cheap (just have to rent the land) and I can always move back to the family farm. My father is living there and he has pretty much built a village for himself. (Trailer with many add-ons and at least 5 sheds!) He lives on about $1000 a month. The only problem with the farm is it is kind of hard to get too.

Thanks @songbirdme for host this new challenge. I’ll join, if I may.
    @luce68: Welcome to the challenges. Always great support here. See you on the 1st for Day 1…

Hi guys, from UK (southern Lakes) and will be starting Day 1 as FD tomorrow. Catch you then!

@songbirdme, I’m definitely joining your January challenge!!!

Thanks for hosting, I’m not sure how I would manage being accountable just to myself…………….I know, I really need to work that self love muscle so MY opinion counts!! I’ll get there!!

@rolosdaemon, welcome to the challenge!!! You can bank any December FDs, then start fresh on Jan 1st as your Day 1 with the rest of us, so we’re all on the same page!!! Good luck, I look forward to getting to know you and @luce68 in 2020!!!! You’ve made the right choice!!!

Welcome @luce68 and @rolosdaemon! This is a terrific group to join. We always count our “Day 1” etc. as the day of the month, not where we may be exactly with numbers of fasts.

Great to see you @dykask, @ciren2, and @flourbaby

USA Day 29

Thanks for hosting, SongBirdMe! Count me in!

See you on New Year’s Day @songbirdme , Thanks for hosting x

Count me in please, @songbirdme, & thank you for hosting January!

I’m in. See you on the 1st of January

@songbirdme, hello and thank you for volunteering to host January 2020! You have been a source of stick-to-it-ness that we all need, especially those of us in maintenance, as I am. Please count me in!

Thank you @songbirdme for taking care of us this month 🤗💐

I’m definitely in as without the accountability of this group I fear that I would not remain in maintenance!!

Find below the link to the spreadsheet for the January 2020: new year, new resolutions. Hopefully everyone can access and edit as required. I have marked those who have joined the challenge so far in red and will amend names from black to red as more sign in.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1HDCeinJh-TDHg1x-4ae6TZ1P5siuA3WYuWO_sBys0Uc/edit?usp=sharing

JANUARY CHALLENGE
    “The first month of the year,
    A perfect time to start all over again,
    Changing energies and deserting old moods,
    New beginnings, new attitudes”
    ― Charmaine J Forde

Great to welcome @olabimpe and see @ccco @brightonbelle @funshipfreddie @metatauta back again.

@at – ever so thankful for your computer and google spreadsheets savvy!

Hi everyone, I’m new to the site and to intermittent fasting. This challenge seems to be a great way to get going with moral support along the way 🙂

I am 44 years young and from Cork, Ireland. I have around 21 kilos to lose and definitely need to lose it around my abdomen.

I actually got the 5:2 book a few years ago but didn’t take any action from it at the time. Over Christmas I read “The Obesity Code” which I found to be fascinating and which convinced me more on the medical benefits and scientific research of intermittent fasting, in particular as I have an auto-immune condition. On the basis of that book, I tried a 36 hour fast with liquids only (water, herbal teas and coffee)) and found it very doable. I reread the 5:2 book and then went on to read the Fast 800 to see which will work best for me.

I’ll be doing the Very Fast 800 for at least the first two weeks of this challenge i.e. 800 calories a day with Time Restricted Eating (TRE). I think this will work best with my lifestyle and I also know I need to see results quickly in order to keep up the motivation.

I have started making some small changes already, after reading “Atomic Habits” (great book!) I decided to introduce a new habit whereby every time I go to the bathroom, I complete 10 squats. This can add up to 80 squats a day in my case! 😀 I’ve been doing this for a month and it’s now an automatic response and my legs are definitely seeing the benefits.

I am looking forward to hearing of everyone’s progress and sharing my own successes in 2020

Hi I’m Karen from the UK and starting today on a FD. I’ve done 5:2 way back in 2014 and didn’t do too bad considering I didn’t have much weight to lose but since then I’m about a stone heavier have relapsed with my Graves disease so on meds which I think are hindering weight loss. I’m also doing dry January both for health reasons and because I know I eat rubbish when I have alcohol.

Looking forward to getting started and hopefully losing some weight 🙂

Welcome @flaquita and @karen250463 — I also read the first 5:2 book before I decided to try fasting. That was nearly 4 years ago! I’ve been on maintenance
    since January 2017 after losing over 35 pounds. You are most welcome here!

USA
    Hi, Flaquita! Welcome. Glad to meet another person from Cork. My family is from Cork, too! Good luck with your fasting!

Hi Karen250463! Also, welcome! My mother had Graves disease and I know her medicine caused her to gain weight. Perhaps the medicines for Graves are better today. I wish you the best.

Thanks @songbirdme and @ccco for the welcome 🙂

@karen250463 I have Hashimoto’s so I know it can be challenging to lose weight when the thyroid is out of whack!

Hi @songbirdme, thanks for doing the January challenge. I’ve been here all month but got really lazy about posting which is ironic because I’ve had almost a week off work and so I’ve had lots of time!
    This is my one year anniversary so i’m maintaining and hopefully I didn’t gain too much over Christmas. I’m 52 and originally from the UK but now in California. Tried to do a fast day yesterday but lost my mojo and ended up doing more of a 23 and 1 eating schedule with carbs, sugar and soup.
    @dykask I’ve been thinking about retirement more also. I still have quite a few years to go and i’m lucky that I have a government pension but I’ve got more focused on saving in the last two years.

I’m ready to join this month!

Thanks @songbirdme for hosting! Please count me in!

@hurricane22 — counting you in!

@matpi – great to have you!

The list of acronyms & abbreviations from previous Challenges.

IF Intermittent Fasting
    WOL Way of Life
    FD Fast Day (500 cals)
    MFD Modified Fast Day (800 cals) on the new Fast800, it’s a FD
    WFD Water Fast Day (Water only)
    CFD Controlled Fast Day (1200 cals)
    NFD Non Fast Day
    EFS Epic Face Stuffing (we’ve all had one of those days!)
    5:2 5 days NFD:2 days IF
    ADF Alternate Day Fast, FD, NFD
    16:8 16 hours fast 8 hours non fast
    B2B Back 2 Back (days of FD or WFD)
    Hunger Dragon – that dreadful psychological beast that sometimes cannot be satisfied
    DD, DS Darling Daughter, Son
    OH, Other Half
    LOL Laughing Out Loud
    Keto, way of eating that generates Ketones
    LC, Low Carb way of eating
    LCHF, Low Carb High Fat way of eating
    TDEE: Total Daily Energy Expenditure (see the ‘how it works’ link on the home page to work out yours)
    TRE: Time Restricted Eating
    OMAD: One Meal a Day

Please count me in for January.
    looking forward to the challenge!

Thanks for hosting @songbirds count me in please.

Day minus 1 – Cumbria UK

I’ll be here tomorrow, to anyone just joining, great idea, support and encouragement abounds here with both regular and occasional fasters.

Last February I had my annual check up I was…
    19 stone 1 lb BMI 38.3 – 267 lbs – 121.1 kg

Not good for a mid 60 year old male who was having knee and hip problems
    In July I joined the forum and started following this Monthly Challenge group, then..
    18 stone 13 lb BMI 38 – 265 lbs – 120.2 kg

Lowest was early November
    17 stone 6 lb BMI 35 – 244 lbs – 110.6 kg

Currently residing slightly over my lowest by 5 lbs, but that’s after a couple of cruises and a very greedy Christmas, but I know getting back ‘on the 5:2 wagon, some decent walking, I’ll be back to my low reasonably quickly.
    First target is to get back to lowest, then 7 lb after that would see me at my original target I set back in July of losing 2 stone.

Thanks @songbirdme for hosting, see you all tomorrow folks.

Hi, from Dublin, Ireland. Never joined a forum so unsure how this works 🤔. Have been a 5:2 faster for a while so not a lot of weight to lose, that final half stone just doesn’t want to go or maybe I’m just too attached to it 😉. Can usually manage fast days well, it’s the non fast days I still totally over indulge. So maybe being in this group will help me get there and maintain it.

So, day -1. Starting tomorrow as a FD. Shall hopefully then go between MFD and CFD and NFD when going out for occasions.

Roll on 2029. Happy fasting

Hi from Atlanta, Ga USA- Count me in!!!

Happy New Year’s Eve to everyone

Looking forward to a fresh start tomorrow on the first day of this January 2020: New Year, New Resolutions Challenge!

Thank you for hosting January Challenge @songbirdme 🙂

Please count me in – I’ll come back & introduce myself on Day 1 🙂

Glad to see all of our stalwart members returning: @lilymartin @suki2 @ihatelettuce @therealwil78 @michelinme

Welcome @bm46 — you will love this forum! 🙂

Thanks @funshipfreddie for the abbrviations, etc. — they help everyone to see in one place!

Ooops…that was a bit random! My post above was meant to be on the December forum….where it made sense!!

Please count me in for January.

@dykask – when I retired ( which I also was very nervous about) I read The Joy of Not Working. It really helped me feel positive about it, and put my brain in the right place to enjoy being free. Might help…

A big thank you to @songbirdme for hosting this challenge and an even bigger welcome to our new members. This is a great group and you will find all the support you need here, the 5:2 way of life is the best thing that has happened to me in such a long time. Hang in there, it gets easier and easier!

Happy New Year everyone 🎉🥂🍷🍹🍾🎉

Day 1 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD

About me:- David, 57. Originally from the UK, living in Kwazulu-Natal, South Africa. I started fasting in 2014 halfheartedly after seeing the ‘Eat, Fast…’ documentary. I got serious about my weight in March last year, about a year after I retired when my weight started creeping up. I lost about 8 kilos, and I’ve been working on maintenance for about 6 months. Or at least I was, until I started my current holiday. I’ve yet to discover how much damage I’ve done during the last 10 days. But I’m not too worried, because 5:2 & being a part of this forum has taught me exactly what I need to do to get back to my ideal weight.

This is my 9th Challenge. Like many people I now find the FDs the easier part of this WOL; the tricky bit is not overindulging on NFDs. After I reached maintenance I started using Myfitnesspal to track calories which has been a big help, especially on NFDs.

Thank you @songbirdme for hosting the first Challenge of 2020, & best wishes to everyone for the New Year.

Day 1: Gloucestershire, UK, NFD:

Happy New Year…..May all our dreams come true xx

@songbirdme: Thanks for being our host this month.

I am a 66 year old postlady with Royal Mail, afraid to retire because, when I’m at home all day I eat for England!
    My DH, also a postman in his day IS retired….he’s nearly eight years older than me, and we’ve been married 32 years.
    We live in the Cotswolds, in SW UK.
    My DD, she’s in this country at the moment and visiting later before she returns to Melbourne where she has a three year contract with an agricultural research company to the east. She will go from floods to bush fires…

About 5:2 for me:
    In 2016 I first joined the challenges with @coda and for the first time lost ALL my excess weight (about 28 pounds). Sadly, maintenance tripped me up and within a year I regained most of it….but not all.
    Ever since I’ve been trying to get motivated by joining most of these fantastic challenges.

Diabetes runs strongly in my family and I’m desperate not to get it….currently reading Dr Fung’s “Diabetes Code”, in order to re-motivate myself for 2020.

Day 1 – Cumbria UK – FD

Good morning everybody,

Did my intro yesterday as I knew today would be busy for me, we tend not to bother with New Years eve ‘festivities’ (we enjoy Christmas with family and friends) so feeling rather good this morning, no hangover or ‘food baby’ 😉
    Long walk yesterday and FD to try and kickstart after an indulgent Christmas! I know from experience the weight gained will go quite quickly, think the first day or two I’m waterlogged, drinking water as opposed to anything else!
    Huge pan of soup for the next day or two and hope this dry weather holds, need to get back to the ‘Man on a mission’ walks, well more like a march!

Target for January, get back down to Novembers low (before holidays and Christmas) then press to get to first target of losing 2 stone, which is not too far off. Trying for 3 FD’s a week, limiting alcohol to an evening a week, or not at all and … yup … walking! It’s at least half an hours drive to the nearest gym, I can march away a lot of calories in the hour it would take me sat in the car.

So, good luck for the year fellow 5:2 followers, take care all.

Todays pocket list

@i-hate-lettuce

Day 1 – Cork,IE – FD

Happy New Year and Happy New Decade everyone!

I am new to practicing IF and actually started at the weekend with a WFD to see what it was like. Having eaten little and healthily on Sunday and Monday, my digestive system did not take kindly to eating carbs during the New Year’s Eve celebrations last night 🙁 It’s amazing how quickly our bodies can react to changes!

I am kickstarting my journey following the Very Fast 800 programme of 800 calories a day every day with an initial TRE of 14:10 as I need to see some results quickly in order to keep motivated.

Heading out for a walk later to blow away the cobwebs and start the New Year on the right foot. Looking forward to sharing and hearing others’ experiences throughout the challenge 😀

Day 1, London, UK, NFD

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!

So, it’s not only the start of a new year but a new decade and I’ve polished my halo, given my mojo a tweak and planned my eating for the month!! It’s critical that my NFDs are as well planned as the FDs since NFDs are sooooooo much harder to manage (I hear you @bm46)!!! I’m still unsure as to whether I’m trying ADF or Fast800 this month ……………………….. I struggle to stop eating after 800cals, not so with 500cals ………………………… go figure!!???

I’m hoping to cut sugar from my diet at least 75% ( @dykask it never occurred to me that this one change might make everything else easier!!), no snacking, no ‘treating’ or cheating & to throw some WFDs into this month’s challenge.

Oh, and it will be DRY-JANUARY ……………………………. Starting tomorrow!!!!! Any takers??

DRY-JANUARIANS LIST
    @flourbaby

Happy fasting folks!!!!!

Day 1 – Cumbria UK – FD

Morning everyone,

Just got back from my walk and checking back in …. my post from earlier this morning, nowhere to be seen! Grrr

Had a very quiet New Years Eve, we prefer Christmas fun with family. So, no feeling rough this morning and out for a march round the village. Nearest gym is half an hours drive away, my ‘Man on a mission’ walks can burn around 800 calories an hour, and is free!
    Goal for January, get back to low (or beyond) which was beginning of December before cruise, Christmas markets trip and Christmas itself.
    As I know from the last 6 months, it won’t take long to get rid of recent ecesses, so going to try and get 3 FD’s a week instead of my usual 2. Agree with others, it not the FD’s that are the problem, it’s the rest. Going to cut right down on alcohol again, that really made a difference previously.

Pocket list for today

@ihatelettuce

Take care all.

Day 1 Oxfordshire, UK FD

I began my journey back in 2013 when I weighed in at 77.6kg, and a BMI of 30.8. It was the heaviest I’ve ever been. I’m only 158cm (5’2”). I began just controlling portion size and lost about 5kg. It was really slow and I was getting to the point of giving up when my neighbour suggested I try 5:2. I managed to lose 19kg over the course of the next 6-10 months which was fantastic. I kept on top of things for a while then gradually this year the weight began to creep back on and this summer I joined the Aug challenge because I had put back on around 8kg. I could feel it around my middle and my BMI was creeping up.
    Over the last few months I have managed to lose just over 5kg. I’m so pleased with that especially when I consider I was travelling for 2 months and was less than focussed.
    I am 3.3kg away from an all-time low.
    I’m intending to follow traditional 5:2. It works for me as long as I plan meals carefully and keep myself busy. This will be my 6th challenge I’m definitely ready to reduce that bloated feeling.

@ciren2 have a fab time with your daughter

@flourbaby I’ve also been thinking about the sugar in my diet. Fortunately I don’t like fizzy drinks but cake and biscuits, plus whatever sugar there is in wine are my problem. So I’m going to restrict sweet treats and make sure I limit the wine to weekends and see how I go. I’m also hoping that my sleep might improve too.
    @flaquita welcome

Adding myself to the pocket list
    Pocket list for today
    @ihatelettuce
    @suki2

Day 1 Lincolnshire UK NFD

Hi new to this so on a steep learning curve! I need to lose 1 1/2 stone and not been previously motivated by slimming classes. I’m a runner but not been able to run through injury since May but just starting C25K again. Looking forward to the challenge.

Day 1 UK NFD

New Year New goals Don’t really want to admit it but I’m 159 lbs My goal is to get to 138 lbs by the time I go on my summer holiday so 5 months .If I can do it quicker all well and good but I don’t think challenging targets work for me I’m going to concentrate on being happy healthy and fit . I’ll be aiming for 2 >500 FDs a week and introducing better portion control and reduced alcohol consumption on the 5 NFDs Looking forward to learning lots along the way Good Luck for 2020 everyone x

Day 1 NFD country West Australia
    hoping for a FD tomorrow but know that the siren song of the contents of my fridge leftovers will be hard to resist after New Year’s Eve/ Day celebrations.
    I will TRY to resist but…..
    Hope everyone has a good first day of the year.

Day 1 USA (Illinois) NFD

So wonderful to have 2 dozen (so far) join this January New Year Challenge! I’m one of the old timers around here having begun 5:2 in March 2016, joined up with @coda then in May. I lost about 35 pounds (about 16 kg) over 10 months. I’ve been on maintenance since then, generally doing 6:1. Sometimes I feel like maintenance is harder than losing! 160 pounds was my goal weight (72.5 kg), but now I am 4 pounds over that. Ugh….

I’m 71 years young, retired school music teacher, still do church music, teach a few piano lessons, direct a community choir, work at our new children’s museum, and am P.E.O. chapter president. For workouts I do Silver Sneakers 3x a week. Needless to say, I do keep busy. My DH and I will celebrate 51 years this month. Four kids and five granddaughters all live some distance away.

This month I hope to be able to support you newbies as well as interact with our stalwart fasters.

Onward and downward.

Day 1- Atlanta, Ga- USA- FD

Hi,

I am a 41 yr old male living in the South of the USA. It’s sometimes hard to resist the high carb high fatty foods served in my part of the world. But i’ve seen a lot of success with the 5:2 lifestyle. I haven’t stuck to the plan as much as I should have in 2019. Here’s to a new year of small victories to get me back to my goal.

Day 1 – UK – FD

A much needed FD after enjoying the festive season a bit too much over the past 10 days…….Started the day with a lovely walk up into the hills around my village – warm, misty and overcast but no rain – such a change from yesterday’s sunshine and early morning frost!

Lovely to see so many “oldies” back on board and a big welcome to the “newbies” The support, camaraderie and friendship offered on these challenges is wonderful – no one judges!

Well I had better share a bit about myself for those new to these challenges
    I am a 61 y.o. female, married, with a grown up daughter.
    Height = 163cm/5ft 4in and I started this WOL on my own in January 2016
    I first joined the challenges in November 2016 as I had plateaued for around 3 months and with support of this group managed to reach maintenance within the next 5 weeks, in early December 2016 and have been in maintenance range of 53-56kg/116.8-123.5lbs and a BMI of just over 20 since then! Total weight loss = 22kg/3st 7lbs

I love a range of exercise, currently doing yoga 🙏 which I discovered in November 2015 and it has just been the best thing for me, both physically and mentally. I also do Broga, Pilates, Aerobics and love hiking on the fells in my beloved Lake District ⛰ (I moved here when I retired in 2013) and I also do some volunteering in my local community.

Joining the first pocket list of this New Year as TOGETHER WE ARE STRONGER
    @flaquita
    @i-hate-lettuce
    @suki2
    @therealwil78
    @at

My personal motto on this journey is to remember that “If I quit now, I will soon be back to where I started. And when I started, I was desperately wishing to be where I am now”

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 709 total)

You must be logged in to reply.