If your clothes are looser but the scales are the same, read on

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Benefits and side effects
If your clothes are looser but the scales are the same, read on

This topic contains 3,750 replies, has 216 voices, and was last updated by  annette52 3 weeks, 3 days ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 2,001 through 2,050 (of 3,800 total)

• So right Annette! We must remember not to judge our efforts solely by the number on the scale.

I had a good day yesterday and will keep a tight rein on myself today as well. I think I’ll have eggs for dinner tonight as my husband has a meeting, so I’ll get him fed and out the door and then I’ll deal with myself.

No boot camp this morning, so I got to sleep in a bit after getting up at 3:45 to let the cat out. Went back to bed for a couple hours and managed to sleep off and on.

Hope you all have a fabulous day!

Hello All

I’m just checking in and thanks again for your recent supportive messages.

I did cook on Monday and felt better, physically and psychologicaally, for it. Yesterday was fairly fraught, an unpleasant interaction with someone. I responded by bingeing on biscuits; and again today on sweets. It’s done nothing for my sense of well being and self esteem, needless to say. I’m trying not to be punitive towards myself – but I am trying to be honest. I feel that has to be the starting point for me, in hopes that I will get committed again to this long term aim of behaviour change ie my eating. From that will flow the physical changes (size reduction.)

Thanks for the example you all set of not giving up! I’m sorry I’m not too responsive to you individually in my recent posts but I am rooting for you as I read your posts.

BB
    X

Good to hear from you BB. Don’t feel guilty about your response to stress. I am reading a book by Dr Robert Lustig called Fat Chance the hidden truth about sugar, obesity and disease. Really interesting read about the link between sugar and our hormones, environment.He looks at why and how there has been a surge in global obesity in the last 30 years.I know that he gives a talk on you tube for about and hour and a half, but I wanted to be able to concentrate for short periods.

Take care BB….we are rooting for you too! One day at a time and do the best we can. That’s all we can do!

My eating plans for yesterday got blown up as my cleaning lady arrived late and was still here when I should have been making dinner, so we went out to eat. I could have had a healthy salad, but the husband wanted to share a couple appetizers, so there were many more calories involved than I should have had. Oh well. Today there will be a cake at work to celebrate boss’s day, which is tomorrow. Sigh….I will have 1 little taste, and that’s it!

I’m getting excited for the weekend and my sister’s visit. We have such a good time together. She will arrive Friday evening and stay until Monday. I’m taking Monday off so I’ll have a nice, long weekend.

Have a good day all!

But what if is it is the food that we are consuming that is making us crave and binge?

Back to Dr Robert Lustig, I really do urge you to read it. If I understand this correctly then it is the sugar in all it’s guises in our food that is messing up our endocrine system that the not only makes us fat and keeps us that way, but also keeps us craving and binging. Our environment also has a huge impact.

He argues that we need to eat food that has all its fibre, that fat is fine, but the baddy is the sugar that is hidden in so much of our food. In a nutshell, if it is in a packet with a label on, then don’t eat it. I picked up a couple of tins of leek and potato soup and at 200 calories would fill me up on a FD, but when I looked at the sugar content it was a real shock and so the soup went back on the shelf. I made loads of soup from actual vegetables that I cooked which is in the freezer, so that is what I will be eating next week.

Just been out shopping and filled the freezer with frozen vegetables, bought tins of various beans that I don’t quite know what to do with, but will be putting in all sorts of things along with lentils. Biggest change is both brown rice and pasta. We eat wholemeal bread anyway but i do have a weakness for a white loaf toasted at the weekend followed by a pain chocolat…not this weekend.

Hi Annette, I saw your post and am jumping in to say re the sugar, that is my experience too. I cut all high sugar foods (including fruit, bar the occasional berries) out of my diet. I lots 20kg and then (sadly) plateaued and began to put weight on again.
    Even though my diet was without high and medium sugar foods (and NO added sugar)my brain didn’t completely let go of the crazy signals that kept me wanting to eat, even when I was full. (It must have got ingrained)
    5:2 has done the trick. Yay!

Also, I saw you mention buying beans, so I thought I would add three of my favourite, easy, delicious bean recipes in case they are of use to you (I had them written up from another forum I am in!). I soak and cook dried beans, but canned beans would work fine.

BLACKEYED BEANS WITH HERBS (Syrian recipe)
    1 1/2 cups of dried blackeyed beans. Cook til just tender (makes about 3 cups of beans). Keep 1/1/2 cups of the liquid they were cooked in.

Heat 2 tbsp oil, add a dried red chili, it will puff and darken

Add 3 cloves of garlic, minced, add and stir

Add 2 or 3 bay leaves. 1 tbsp chopped oregano. 1 1/2 tsp fresh thyme, 1 tsp paprika and 1 1/2 tsp salt.

Add the beans and the liquid, stir, and simmer gently for 15 minutes. Add in more greens (optional) eg: 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley, 1/2 cup shredded spinach, and simmer for another few minutes. Serve hot. (Remove the chili if someone might accidentally eat it).

THE CHICKEN THAT FLEW (Moroccan recipe, for when you don’t have chicken!) 1/2 cup of dried chickpeas, cook with a pinch of saffron (optional) in a litre of water. (Or 1 can chickpeas)

Add 1 large sweet potato in cubes, 1 medium onion, thinly sliced, a tbsp coriander or parsley leaves, finely chopped, 2 tbsp olive oil, salt and pepper to taste.

Simmer 10 minutes, uncovered, or until the sweet potato is cooked, and the water has evaporated to make a sauce.

I often make this with potato and carrot instead of sweet potato. I have found that kids really like it!

RED KIDNEY BEAN STEW (Nigerian Recipe) I often make this with black beans.

I cup red kidney beans, cooked. 2 tsp salt: add to beans and the liquid while they are hot. (makes nearly 3 cups of beans)

Heat 3 tbsp oil and add 1 chopped onion and 2 chopped garlic cloves. Gently fry until the onions are transparent

Add 1 tsp ground cumin seeds, and stir

Add 250ml tomato passata, 1/4 tsp cayenne, 1 tsp lemon juice, 120 ml water, drain the beans and add them in, keeping aside the water they cooked in. Simmer about 15minutes, stirring occasionally.

Mix 1 1/2 tbsp of peanut butter with 6 tbsp of the bean liquid, until smooth. Stir in.

Serve hot.

Thanks Cinque. I will try those bean recipes. I am planning to sneak the beans into chilli or stews, and the green lentils into curry and the red lentils into lasagne or shepherds pie just to get used to more legumes in our diet.

Dr Lustig(Fat chance.The hidden truth about sugar,obesity and disease) suggests that the goal is to keep insulin down and to do that we should have low sugar, high fibre, low omega-6 fats and low trans fats. This means unprocessed whole grains, condiments(homemade hummus, salad dressings, herbs and spices), vegetable oils, eggs, unprocessed meat, nuts and seeds. cheese, butter, beans, fruit, vegetables and plain milk.

No more jar tomato/chilli sauce in this house. The real stuff looks very simple and cheap to make without the high sugar content, so that is a bit of a no-brainer too.

The whole reason that the 5:2 appealed was that nothing was banned and that no food stuff became bad or naughty. I have noticed that my food choices have changed due to the FD restrictions and I think nothing of whipping up a quick and delicious salad dressing-1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, 1 tsp white wine vinegar and half tsp Dijon mustard in a small jam jar with lid, shake and then drizzle.

I have been given loads of cooking apples which I am making into crumbles and then freezing. Previously, I would have put brown sugar both in the crumble and over the fruit, now it is just over the fruit.

I had a look at Christmas food in our local supermarket yesterday. No wonder I put on 10 lb last Christmas and the year before.I still have 2/3 of a Christmas Pud in the freezer and will not be making a large cake or loads of mince pies(which I ate loads of) I might just buy a small amount of each and then when they are gone..they’re gone.

I am also going to try homemade oven chips. Cut up a couple of large floury potatoes and drizzle with olive oil on a baking tray and then cook for 45 minutes. Unprocessed, cheap and not taking up freezer space-genius.

I have 2 goals. One is to shift this rather reluctant half a stone and the other is to keep this weight off forever and yet enjoy food. Clearly I need to change some of the food that I enjoy to make that a reality, but that would be worth it to maintain a healthy weight for my height.

Hello Everyone and Happy Monday

I have taken some positive action re the depression. I have found a couple of women to come in now and then and clean, just for the next month. The house is a pigsty and I have felt overwhelmed by even the thought of tackling it. This action seems to have had a knock on effect: I feel motivated to take up the challenge – yet again! -of continuing to change my food consumption.

I am still a size 14 but I have filled out considerably over the past few weeks and, if I continue overeating, I shall creep back up to size 16, which would be tragic after all my hard work of the past year or so. I won’t weigh myself until later in November, when I am back at Bath Uni for another fitness assessment. (Highly likely to have lost fitness but one step at a time!)

I completely agree, Annette, that sugar, in particular, has an addictive effect. I think, too, that industrialised food production is a major factor in our current obesity. As you say, looking at the labels can reveal a lot of lurking sugar in ready made foods. I might have mentioned a very good book I read last year about the food industry (and its influence on politicians and food policy over the years). Will find the title and post, if anyone is interested.

While accepting that sugar does seem to prompt/reinforce addictive eating, I do feel that, for me, there is always also an emotional/mental/psychological element which I need to address. In certain emotional states, when I’m feeling strong and positive about my life, I can head off addictive behaviour in the shop: I simply don’t buy the stuff. If, in those phases, I do get some ‘addictive whispers’ while I’m at the supermarket, I repeat the phrase from Overeaters Anon which I found so helpful: ‘I am powerless over that stuff’. That is usually enough to remind me that I wouldn’t ‘buy a packet of (whatever) and eat it a bit at a time’, as my addiction tries to suggest I could.

In contrast, last week, when I was wandering round the supermarket in some mental distress, I CHOSE to end my shop by picking up some biscuits and sweets, knowing full well that I would binge on them and then feel worse. I suspect I might always have this potential for self-sabotage. I’m sure I’m not alone; but I wouldn’t want to be presumptuous and talk for other people.

So, my plan is: For the psychological aspect of overeating, I am going to harness the Gillian Riley approach again. For the physical aspects, I am returning to structured 5:2. I am going to count to my TDEE on non-FDs. However, because I am human and to cut myself a little slack, I am going to allow myself 1 non-counting day a week.

The good thing is that I have over a year’s experience to call on in acting wisely in relation to food. As for the self-sabotage, I will carry on trying to be kind to myself …

Wishing you all well for your own journeys this week
    BB
    x

There you go BB….be kind to yourself. A good mantra for us all.

I’ve had a weekend of total excess with my sister. Too much junk, too much sugar you name it. I’m looking forward to getting back on track.

I took off work today as my sister is staying till about noon today. No more eating though! We’re having coffee and just hanging out until she leaves. Any leftovers will either be sent home with her or thrown in the trash. Ugh!

I’m having a leisurely afternoon and then back to my routine tomorrow. Boot camp, healthy eating etc. My husband left yesterday to go on a 3 day fishing trip with a friend. I’m sure they’re freezing their butts off as it is really cold. Sounds like fun, right? 😉 I’ll get a full report when he calls tonight.

Well…..time for another cup of coffee. Have a great day!

Hi BB,
    Glad that you are feeling a bit more in control. It sounds like a great idea to get some help with your house that has overwhelmed you.When my son had severe depression 4 years ago it was a combination of anti-depressants and talking therapy that helped set him on the road to recovery. I was desperate to get him out the house into the sunshine as I was sure that this would also lift his mood and it also meant that he had to get dressed. So we would go out for a walk, often for a couple of hours and then feed him home cooked meals which I was certain would help his recovery. I can see that food preparation might be exhausting for you and was wondering whether you could batch cook some stew or soup that you could freeze. There are loads of slow cooker recipes that just require throwing a whole load of ingredients into the pot and then leaving for hours to cook. I have also been reading about food and depression and wonder if some foods might help your mood.I also think that it is the food itself that might be responsible for some of the self-sabotage, so don’t be too hard on yourself. And Lori, I think that being woken up by the cat in the wee small hours may well be having an effect on your struggle to lose weight but I am running out of space now!

More from Dr Robert Lustig(Fat Chance the hidden truth about sugar, obesity and disease) The goal is to keep the levels of insulin down by eating unprocessed whole grains such as brown rice, bread and oats, spices, herbs, homemade salad dressing, hummus, eggs, vegetable oil, unprocessed meat, seeds and nuts, cheese, butter, fruit, vegetables, beans and milk. He also suggests that if you are seratonin deficient(depressed) then it makes perfect sense to eat carbohydrates especially sugar as it will make you feel better in the short term. The flaw is that more sugar is needed for the same effect and that this cycle can happen to anyone.I wonder BB if trying to eat just the foods above might help your mood. What do you think?

It certainly makes food shopping a different experience when you shop from this rather lovely guilt free list. Today I cooked a chicken curry(from the Hairy Bikers) and added 50g red lentils(never used them before so cooked them as per the instructions)and then added them to the curry just before serving. I also used brown rice, which was lovely. We all ate it, the boys have no idea that there were red lentils in the curry or that I plan to put them in all sorts of things(without telling them or someone will refuse) as well as my homemade vegetable soup.I also have tins of various beans which I will be putting in various meals to increase our fibre intake.

I went food shopping and bought a very small Christmas cake in the shape of a rectangle topped with marzipan and icing. Only 2 of my boys like fruit cake and they both loathe marzipan and icing-I of course, love them both! I put all kinds of lovely sugary treats into my basket, looked at the sugar content and put them back on the shelf.

I am now having half a teaspoon of sugar in my tea(from a whole one)which is another step in the right direction.I will be fasting tomorrow and am feeling very hopeful that by changing what I eat, I will be happier, healthier and continue to shrink.

Perhaps we are what we eat after all?

I recognise so much of what we are discussing right now. Jamie Oliver had a programme about sugar not so long ago, a real eye opener. I have been checking labels since your post Annette, so easy to become complacent.
    I heard today about a friend who recently had a heart attack, very low risk factors- slim, active, non smoker, non drinker, it has given me a bit of a fright as she hardly had any symptoms either. Luckily she got straight to hospital, needed surgery and is on the mend now. It has made me very conscious of what I’m eating today. Stay strong team, we can do this.

Very very scary Iona. Glad that your friend is on the mend.

The lentils and the rice from last night kept me full all morning which is a FD, so that has been lovely. Bumped into a work colleague who was telling me that sugar makes her very bad tempered and she certainly knows the effect that it has on her mood. She then suggested that I try various seeds as well, so I need to do some research as I have no idea what might be good and we might like to eat.

I am making a vat of Bolognaise tomorrow that simmers for 3 hours and will be putting in a hefty slug of red lentils, now that I know they boil down to nothing, which will become a couple of lasagnes for the freezer and ragu for tea with our yet untried wholemeal pasta.

It is really scary the effect that sugar(Fructose is the real villain of the piece)has on our biochemistry with the craving/bingeing and effects on mental health. I am going to see if I feel better by avoiding processed where I can.

I have stopped buying fruit yoghurt and chocolate mousse for the boys, as I am horrified by the sugar content. I will be doing some baking tomorrow though and making a couple of tray bakes, but will be reducing the sugar by a third that makes the lemon syrup for the drizzle cake. I am going with the treat occasionally approach
    to this and see how we get on.

I love the notion that we are not all weak and feckless, that if we had tried harder that we wouldn’t be in this mess…is all nonsense. The idea that sugar has messed up our endocrine system and has made us fat/binge/crave makes me feel that part of the solution is in my hands and that I can control food(eat like a normal person)is completely brilliant. I am going to give it a try.

Have a look at what people put in their shopping basket and then have a look at them. Do they look grey?Tired? Cross? Overweight?…how much processed food do they have? Not scientific at all but really interesting and a little bit scary.

Onwards and downwards fast friends.

100 days on the 5:2 diet — and I’ve lost 11.8 pounds.

I’m thrilled with this result. In the past, I would have felt this process was too slow and that I couldn’t stand to “diet” this long. But 5:2 doesn’t require the constant vigilance and manic attention to calories as my old diets did–and even though I’m 100 days in, I’m not sick of doing it. (And of course, the number of days when I restricted my eating wasn’t 100, it was only 28.)

I use the WeightBot app on my iPhone to track my weight, and weigh myself daily. I like having the full array of data, so that on the days when my weight is 3 pounds more than it was the day before, I can look backwards and see that this variation occurred before. It doesn’t mean the trend of my weight is going up . A three-pound jump is just an anomaly, one of those variables that happen along the way. In fact, I no longer think of myself as having a target weight that is one single numeral. Instead, if I want my weight to be 152, the target is to have my weight inside the range of 150 to 154.

WeightBot gives you some statistics on how you’re doing. So it tells me that using the 5:2 method, over 100 days I’ve lost an average of .1 pounds per day; .8 pounds per week; and an average of 3.6 pounds per month. (.04 kg per day; .36 kg per week; 1.6 kg per month.)

Yes, I’ve gotten frustrated along the way, or tired, or impatient. But since I gained the weight a pound or two a month over a long period of time, I’m proud to have totally reversed that trend. I’m losing the weight slowly but very, very reliably. The data shows it. And I feel it, too.

Thanks for that information. Well done, no wonder you are thrilled.

I have looked on the 5:2 as a change to the way of life. I became aware that I felt better on a FD and I am now wondering whether this was just to do with what I was eating. I usually have prawns and salad for lunch , or homemade soup, and then baked salmon fillet with a heap of peas in the evening. Perhaps it is both the fasting itself that has ‘reset’ my eating habit and whole food that has helped me feel better.

It will be my 3 year anniversary of this way of life in January and although my weight loss has been up and down(when I had a break…why??), there has been an over all downward trajectory of my weight from January(another Christmas when 10 lb went on) which is great as I have been told that it would be impossible to lose weight as I am menopausal.It is interesting to note that I cut my tea consumption drastically then and so was consuming 35 tsp sugar less per week. I then found that puddings at work were making me feel rubbish in the afternoon, so I cut them out to see if there was any difference. I felt much much better without, so just had fruit instead. Over the weeks I noticed that other food tasted sweeter, which reduced my consumption of them too.

I think that changing the attitude to food is the key. For me puddings/cake/chocolate were my go to thing when I was sad/lonely/tired/angry, now if I can, I go for a short run and always come back feeling cheerful. I walk as much as I can(I don’t own a car anymore) and find that helps too.

My favourite treat is no longer a bowl of sticky toffee pudding with custard(which I know will make me feel rubbish afterwards) but a couple of slices of wholegrain toast spread with a mashed avocado. How times have changed!

It occurred to me to try to reduce the amount of processed food in my house, so peanut butter and chocolate spread seemed a good place to start. The peanut butter was simply dry roasted peanuts with some groundnut oil, some honey to taste and all blitzed up in a food processor(I got the recipe off the internet)and then put into a jar and must live in the fridge.It took 5 minutes to do. I might have a bash at a crunchy one tomorrow.
    The chocolate spread was simply bringing some double cream, a little sugar and salt up to the boil and then pouring over some chocolate which was then whisked, cooled and into a jar in the fridge. They are both delicious and will last for up to a month if they are not eaten by then! Tomorrow I am going to make some plain yoghurt, which looks very easy as well.
    Tea this evening was Spaghetti with homemade meatballs and tomato sauce(Mary Berry) which was delicious and far far less sugar that what is in a jar.The meatballs and the sauce can be made and frozen separately, so that is something worth doing. I haven’t been keeping an eye on my TDEE this week, but just the quality of food. I am hoping for some good news with the tape measure at the weekend.
    FD for me tomorrow. Onwards and downwards fast friends.

Morning All,
    I am quite disappointed that I am not a bit lighter on the scales or there is less of me according to the tape measure. But my jeans are baggy and sliding down, so it is going from somewhere, t shirts that I have had for years are off to charity as they have became rather plunging as there is less fat on my body to keep them higher and the nighties are getting longer.

So, starting today I am back to writing down everything that I am eating/drinking and making sure that I am not scoffing above my TDEE on the other 5 days.Eating more wholefoods is keeping me fuller for longer and I think that I feel better.

How is everyone getting on?

Go Annette! The looser clothes is your best indication of progress. Scale be damned!

I’m working on getting more whole foods into my diet as well. I bought some berries, butternut squash, apples & bananas yesterday. I haven’t eaten a banana in a long time(SO many carbs!), but have been having leg cramps at night and thought maybe I should get more potassium.

I’m going to be less strict about carbs from fruit and see how I go. I’ll still limit bread etc, but won’t be so “afraid” of fruit. I also have to get back to 5:2. I just have to figure out which days will be best. It is very hard to stick to 500 calories on a boot camp day. I do fine all day, but by evening, all bets are off. I’ll ease into it next week and see how it goes.

Keep up the great work Annette. You are doing fabulously!

Hi guys

Following on from Annettes earlier post, I’ve been reading about sugar lately and finding it quite an eye opener. The small yogurt (125g) I ate today had 14g of sugar and the recommendation for a day is 30g!!! I won’t even eating too many of those. We have been brainwashed into buying low fat products for so long that the real issues have been lost along the way.
    My week has been okay, only one FD but there is always tomorrow! Eating out tonight for a friends birthday so must be careful, not only with food but drink too ?
    Have a great weekend all.

Iona, it is very shocking isn’t it? I have made my own yoghurt, peanut butter and chocolate spread this week. Very easy to do, far cheaper and with only a few ingredients and I know exactly what went into it! I had to buy a thermometer with a probe to measure the heat of liquids as my only investment.
    To make the yoghut(by Phil Daoust)take a small pot of organic plain yoghurt with live cultures and allow it to come up to room temperature. Pour 500mls of milk(of your choice) in a saucepan and heat to 85C, stir occasionally and then leave to cool to 46C, then whisk in 3 tablespoons of the live yoghurt(for every 500mls). Pour into a warmed thermos and screw down the lid. Leave for 8 hours. Then put into a jar with lid in the fridge. It looks like yoghurt and tastes a bit sharper but I think that it will be fine when I add meusli to it or if you were going to add fruit.
    The peanut butter is from the same person. 45og roasted unsalted peanuts, blitz half in a food processor, add half a tbsp of groundnut oil then blitz and add the rest with same amount of oil and blitz again. Add salt or honey to taste. Store in a jar in the fridge. I didn’t think that it needed any salt, but did add some honey. It is delicious.
    Chocolate Spread by the Mast Brothers-put 166g double cream, 47g sugar and 2g salt into a saucepan and bring to the boil, pour over 142g chopped chocolate and whisk until smoothe. When it cools to 31C pour into a jar and store in the fridge. It is scrumptious but next time I might well leave out some or all of the sugar.

Aren’t they so easy to do and take minutes.

Lori,forget about carbs in fruit, it is the hidden sugar that is in so many foods that is the real baddy. All fruit is good because the fibre balances out the natural sugars so that you eat less fruit at a time and maintain lower insulin levels-which is good.
    Back to Lustig. He advocates eating whole fruit(don’t juice it-removes the fibre or drink juice-so much sugar) and vegetables, wholemeal bread, beans, unprocessed meat, milk, cheese, cream,butter, oil, brown rice and wholemeal pasta.

I am just focused on whole food and beans wherever I can put them in our meals to fill us up, keep the insulin low and are good for us. I made the boys a slow cooked beef chilli yesterday with brown rice/x2 tins of red kidney beans, which they enjoyed. Today we are having a cheap cut of beef into the slow cooker with chopped leeks, sliced chestnut mushrooms and stock with a bottle of beer. I will add a couple of tins of butter beans an hour before serving and I think that we will have this with some cooked new potatoes.

It is a different way of thinking about food(the Lustig way), but I do feel better and can maintain this forever. I felt better on a FD and then realized that I was eating whole food, simply cooked. I am going to slice unpeeled Maris Piper potatoes onto a baking tray, drizzle with olive oil and bake for 45 mins next week and see what they are like. I can’t think why it didn’t occur to me to do that before!

If anyone is interested it is Robert Lustig The Hidden truth about sugar, obesity and disease.

Update on the yoghurt, it is absolutely fine on my meusli. I am not buying chocolate mousse or fruit yoghurt anymore, just too much sugar and other rubbish.I am going to buy more fruit and my overweight son is now going to have fresh fruit on top of the homemade yoghurt(which he liked). He has said that he doesn’t like lentils( he had them in curry and bolognaise and didn’t notice) or beans, so I am going to have to be more canny at hiding them, the red lentils do get much softer, so will be going into casseroles etc at the start.He is willing to eat whole grain pasta and much prefers the brown rice. I am hoping that he can lose weight without really noticing if I can fill him up by stealth, as he very resistant to change. The whole grains are very filling, I am waking up full.

I’ve read that book in the past Annette, it’s a must read. It’s so interesting how the food companies have played us over the years. It helps with guilty feelings, and helps to explain why it’s not all our fault which is important to know. I think one of the big things that I gleaned from it was that drinking too much fruit juice or fizzy drinks is a big problem amongst youngsters re them putting on weight. Watching Jamie Oliver, I kept coming back to the fact that each culture is just not eating our processed rubbish.

That’s not to say that I’m not eating it, I am! I’ve done okay recently, may have lost a pound but hard to tell on manual scales and between pounds. I haven’t been measuring for some reason. I did 2FD last week but this week only 1 as was busy and had not planned the shopping well. Home with young son this week so will be out and about and no FD probably.

The only thing with the beans is I was quite surprised how calorific they are, but I’m sure you’ll factor it in Annette! Well done for trying to be so healthy.

The notion that sugar is messing up our biochemistry and both making us fat as well as keeping us that way, is too exciting for me to keep to myself. The idea that I can reverse that by eating wholemeal bread, cheese, milk, cream,wholewheat pasta,beans, vegetables and fruit is rather fabulous….and I generally cook from scratch. BUT there are things in the cupboard that will not be replaced when they have been used and some things from the freezer that will just be thrown out.

The key point for me is that question that Lustig posed originally ‘what has happened in the past 30 years to cause such a global epidemic of obesity?’ He argues that the sugar in just about everything is to blame and I think that he is right.

I am responsible for what we eat at home and I am happy to make the changes that I think will improve our health. If Lustig is wrong, we have lost nothing by eating for fruit and vegetables, brown rice and pasta, wholemeal bread, and some beans or lentils.I am looking on this as a personal experiment between now and Christmas.

The calorie content of the beans is not much split between 5 of us and if it means that there is less snacking then I think it is more than worth it. I am no paragon of virtue and bake regularly, but I have been reducing the amount of baking from several times a week until once a week.

I feel much better and less like a mad woman looking for the next sugar fix, so for me this way of eating is my new normal. I am convinced that lentils/beans are keeping me fuller for longer. I did 2 FD last week and they were both easy as i still felt full from the evening before-result!

The jeans have become a joke as my hips were holding them up, so I bought new ones yesterday and I am now down to a size 10. Never thought that was possible the wrong side of 50!

Good Morning!

Your enthusiasm is contagious Annette! I love reading about how you’re implementing beans etc into your diet. I, too, am on a mission to eat real food and get the sugar out! I did a weigh in this morning and am not happy about it, but I have to soldier on. I haven’t gained, but just staying the same…30 lbs too much!!

I had a good talk with the girl who does my hair last week. She has lost 35+ lbs in the past year and looks fabulous. She has cut sugar out and watches her portions along with lots of walking. She went from a size 16 to a 4. She gave me lots of good ideas for using veggies and fruits. It’s hard for me to get used to eating fruit. I like it, but have not allowed myself to have it for so long due to the carb content. Look where that has gotten me! Nowhere! So…experimenting on myself here too. Nothing to do but keep trying!

Congrats on the size 10 jeans! Fabulous!

Thanks Lori. very uplifting about the girl who does your hair. Her experience ties in with what Lustig believes.

Why not just try eating whole unprocessed ordinary food for a week, and then see how you feel?

Thrilled with the jeans too. Thanks.

Morning All,
    After 2 months of trying to get the scales to shift at all, there is 1 b less of me. Very pleased. Interesting that it is after avoiding sugar where I can and increasing more wholefoods. The real test will be when I go back to school next week.

Made more peanut butter, but just the nuts and oil-much better. Yoghurt was a complete success and will have another bash with the chocolate spread but this time just the chocolate and the cream, as it was too sweet with the additional sugar.

Lustig suggests that the scales are the wrong measure of weight loss because the fat that we can see is not the fat to worry about, it is the fat that is wrapped around our internal organs(visceral). So the only way to measure this is using the waist measurement.

Congratulations Annette on there being 1 lb less of you! Your homemade peanut butter & yogurt sounds delish!

Thank you for the reminder that the scale is not an accurate measure of fat loss. I’m feeling quite frustrated this morning to see the scale back up the 2 lbs that it was down after a fast on Monday. I was just sure I’d see a lower number as I feel thinner and think I look thinner too. Sigh…..it’s hard to keep trudging along when it seems it is all for naught. I, too, have been cutting the sugar and eating more veggies and fruits along with controlling portions all around. Nothing to do but keep going with the healthy eating.

Have a lovely weekend!

Thanks Lori.This might cheer you up, I suspect that the weight gain is muscle as you do so much and that my loss is simply less calories due to more fibre filling me up and thus less snacking although there was the siren call from the freezer in the form of ice cream. Which, so far I have managed to resist.
    Lustig is of the opinion that exercise is great for many things but that losing weight isn’t one of them. He suggest that diets are about losing lbs but that exercise is about losing inches, which I completely agree with as my body shape has changed so much and I am sure that walking to and from work has had a big impact but that running has really given my body definition. Plus I would have to run a really long way just to keep my calorie intake level. He also suggests that all calories are not equal, so we are not going to lose weight by doing lots of exercise unless we change what we eat.
    Exercise builds muscle(in the process reducing both liver and visceral fat), so that the percentage of body fat decreased and therefore improved the metabolic status.The problem is that you can’t see that by stepping on the scales.

Despite the measly lb loss(after 2 months) and the tape measure seems to be broken, there is definitely some shrinkage in the body. Clothes that were tight are certainly looser and those skirts that were snug when zipping up, are not anymore. I have had to go out and buy some smaller fleeces and jeans which is completely thrilling and replace my winter tights from a medium to small-whoop whoop! New sports bras are now on order and the winter running kit is looking a little roomy.

My wardrobe is shrinking all the time.

I am tempted not to fast next week(back to work) and just avoid sugar and eat more wholefoods and see what happens.

All sounds good Annette. I have also lost one pound this week, had it been 2 I would be at my lowest this year! That is next weeks target. However my clothes feel less comfortable not more! Not quite sure what is going on. I have tried hard this week to cut down my sugar intake, easier than expected. I find fasting much easier on work days so might try 3 fast days next week. Keep up the good work, always good to hear how you are getting on.

Thanks Iona. I am now the lowest that I have been for the whole year, had it been another lb then that would have been the lowest that I have been in the past 3 decades(which was Sept 2014).

Thinking about making a hummus dip(just chick peas and garlic with a squeeze of lemon) for lunch, which I plan to have with raw carrots-a favourite of mine.I am hoping that the avocado will finally be ripe to have with it too.

My nemesis is the biscuits at work, which are freely available. I had also slid into having the occasional pudding too. So my plan is have NFD week and not have any biscuits or puddings, and carry on with more wholefoods.

Off out to buy smaller bras……

Annette…I SO admire your focus right now! You are really in the zone! I am trying to channel some of your good vibes for myself right now. Iona, you are doing great too! You girls are rocking it!

My goals for this week include, 4 boot camps, NO sugar, or at least VERY little, and I’m going to give up my TB of coconut oil in the morning. I account for the calories in it, but I’m desperately trying to figure out why my weight won’t shift. Being hypothyroid is certainly not working in my favor either. I’ll be having blood work in the Spring to see where my levels are, and if I haven’t been successful in losing any more weight until then, I’ll speak to my Dr about a change in thyroid hormone. I’m going to give myself 4 months of being strict with myself about calorie consumption so I have a good argument to present to my Dr. Maybe it’s time for a specialist in Endocrinology? There has to be some explanation.

Sorry to go on and on. Keep up the good work Annette. I love reading about your success!

We have an 80th birthday party for a friend this afternoon. Should be a good time. Have a great day!

It’s easy to be focused when you can see a positive change Lori.Plus I have found the ‘perfect bra’ and we know how rare that is!

I went out for a run/walk in the sun yesterday and wore shorts/vest and sun cream in the UK on Halloween! I can see the change in my running clothes, less bulges and fitting/looking better. I was out for a couple of hours chasing the sun trying to top up the rays to get me through the grey days. Today it is cool, grey and miserable.

That sounds very sensible Lori.

Have a great week everyone. Back to work tomorrow….

Morning All,

I am avoiding sugar this week, which means no puddings or biscuits at work, just focusing on whole foods. I find that when I get home late afternoon, I am hungry. So I am having toast and peanut butter or avocado and some almonds/fruit. That seems to fill me up so that cooking for my chaps a few hours later is fine. If I am hungry later then I might have some fruit or a bowl of meusli(homemade-just oats, chopped nuts, some sultanas/raisins and some plain homemade yoghurt).

Down to half a teaspoon of sugar in my tea. Can’t say that I am enjoying it, but I do plan to give it up completely by the end of the year, so I best get used to it!I am curious to see if there is any change on the scales/tape measure/clothes at the weekend.

My mood is much more even and I simply feel much better. The desire to binge has gone and I have no doubt that sugar was at the root of that. The plan is to incorporate 2 FD next week as well.

Hi Annette, you are making good progress! I am trying to cut down a lot on sugar and like you I feel better for it. I’m off to the library to pick up Lustigs book. I have been watching some of his YouTube videos and feel more informed. I passed on the doughnuts at work and had a banana instead!

Awesome work ladies! Giving up sugar is huge. I try to avoid it, but did eat a couple little Hershey bars last evening. 🙁

I took the afternoon off work to play golf and when I got home, I was tired, cranky & hungry! We had grilled chicken wraps and then the chocolate called my name. Lots of activity yesterday as I went to boot camp in the morning, worked 1/2 day and then hit the golf course. I’m feeling it this morning as I get ready to go to boot camp again.

Have a great day!

Thanks Iona. I like Lustigs view that we are victims of our biochemistry and that by eating whole food and taking some exercise that we are helping to reverse the effects of sugar on our bodies and our minds.

I am making different choices for lunch at work(provided for free) and will opt for a hot meal rather than a roll, which I think will be the less sugar choice. I am also sleeping well, I had weeks of a 4am menopausal waking which seems to have disappeared too, bit of a co-incidence?

Been to a funeral and at the wake had a glass of bottled orange juice followed by a small glass of wine. I was obsessed with crisps and chocolate on my walk home, so I decided that if I wanted them both after the toast/avocado and nuts…then I would. But I am full, the craving has gone although I do feel tired now. In my head avoiding and banning are not the same thing and that works for me.

Lori, There are 4g sugar in each teaspoon. 24g sugar/per Hershey Bar=6 tsp sugar x2=12 tsp. WHO Guidelines are for no more than 6 tsp/day. It really isn’t so much of a big deal Lori when you reduce the amount and then feel much better. This is from the woman that thought that a day without a pudding and several biscuits was a bleak day!

I know that I am a bit evangelical about avoiding sugar, but it really makes a huge difference on my mood and removes that craving for the next sugar fix.My aim for every meal is to eat real food and avoid sugar, nothing else. This is week 3…and I do feel better.

Yes…the chocolate bars did me no favors, although they were each quite small(snack size) about the size of a domino. I shall avoid them tonight!

How many grams of sugar do you try to have each day Annette? Or should I say, how many do you aim to stay under? My plan for today has me at under 50, but 22 of them are from an apple which I’m thinking doesn’t count? My guilty pleasure is a Greek yogurt that has quite a bit(19..yikes), but I love it and cannot eat plain yogurt even mixed with berries or whatever. Blech! I guess we have to choose our battles, right? Life is short! I drink no sugar in any beverage. Coffee is taken black and I drink Green tea with no sugar or milk.

Thanks for your input Annette…..you are an inspiration!

I don’t have a figure that I try to stay below in this experimental week of avoiding both puddings and biscuits. Success so far!

I am working on the theory that the sugar in fruit and vegetables is fine because it is in fibre which is good(Lustig). I am now making my own plain yoghurt which doesn’t have any added sugar or sweeteners in and the lactose in milk is fine too. Try making your own yoghurt(very easy) and then if you add fresh fruit to it, it will be sweet enough. I make my own meusli-plain jumbo porridge oats, add some nuts that I chop and a few raisins and sultanas(dried fruit is very high in fructose-so don’t have much) with the yoghurt.

Have a look out for sugar in all its guises- there are over 20 words that manufacturers use. If it is in the first 3 ingredients…put the item back!

My focus is on eating food that is unprocessed, whole grain and with plenty of fibre. I haven’t actually had any chocolate for 3 weeks…a couple of pieces of homemade cake, and lots of nuts/brown rice/wholegrain bread etc which is filling and good foe you.

In answer to your question Lori, I counted up to 24g with the sugar that I was aware of, but now that I am more aware of the hidden sugar in so much food. I am simply going to avoid sugar where I can and eat a more balanced less sugar diet. I am hopeful to see what the results might be.

Morning All,
    My weight and measurements are the same, BUT clothes show a very different picture. Those grey smart trousers that I have been waiting to wear, and haven’t yet, are looking roomy. So I will be wearing them next week.

I have had a ‘try on’ on a range of clothes and there are some that are simply the wrong shape/cut and will be going to charity. There are dresses that fit so much better although I suspect will be too big by next year. Cropped trousers that I haven’t worn because I couldn’t pull them up at all, now fit zipped up. Jumpers that simply swamp me and tops that look very silly. I was delighted to find that my winter running kit looks like I have borrowed it from someone larger…new smaller sports bras that now fit perfectly along with new bras.

I have managed a week at work without biscuits or puddings, and I don’t think that will be difficult to maintain. Half a teaspoon of sugar in my tea now.

Lustig argues that weight and BMI are not good to measure health. Waist measurement is the true measure as it measures the visceral fat around organs.

I’m impressed with all your sugar efforts ladies. I should re-read the book as its effects have long worn off for me. I’ve been eating badly recently and over half term and was shocked to see the scales up 2.5lbs. I have done 2 FDs this week and the scales are back down 2lbs, but I don’t normally weigh next morning so it may well go back up a bit! It’s clear that for maintenance getting a grip on the day to day is the key, less sugar will help with the binge effect. But I am glad to have the fasting tool to help with slips. Must think about my goal of loosing 3lbs by Xmas which was my original goal to lose 1 stone before my holiday which I did not reach.

Jealous of the size 10 jeans Annette. I’m not sure whether to aim for a 10 as my waist measurement is fine. In the past I end up size 11 which is just annoying! I could just do with a bit less tummy blubber and toning up the rest. Will get back to my toning exercises, but work is a bit of a challenge owing to staff changes so my head is too busy at the moment. Sounds like you have an impressive collection of clothing from the past! I’ve been ruthless and tend to get rid of mine to charity. Do you see a difference in clothes sizing over the years? I have my suspicions re vanity sizing these days.

Hi Cinderella,
    Remember that dress sizes were created in the 1950’s. I have thought that it all needs updating and I certainly agree that vanity sizing certainly exists. I find that any jeans/treggings from M and S just look dreadful on me, they seem to all give me a muffin top and fit poorly elsewhere. The fact that they are flares doesn’t help! My jeans that fit well(skinny-who knew?) and suit me are from TK Maxx and I have simply gone from their size 12, which have started to slide down when they are zipped up and become very loose everywhere, to a size smaller.I have no idea which are more accurate, I am just pleased that I have gone down as this must mean that there is less of me, rather than the magic of a number.
    I have some clothes that I bought when I was this weight before-most from charity shops-new jeans from M and S that have never been worn and won’t be me as they look godawful on me.They will all be going to charity and I will see if I can find anything to replace my dwindling options when I am there.
    Lustig talks about stress reducing weight loss too, so don’t be too hard on yourself. If your waist measurement is fine then perhaps you just need to try on different style and shape of clothes. It has made a hell of a difference to me.
    I feel my Christmas goal, which is exactly the same as yours, slipping away as well. So I have decided to create a new one instead, which is to continue to avoid sugar and eat whole foods/grains and see what happens to my shape. I am going to put the scales away and just check my waist measurement once a week, but will continue to try on my clothes as they are the greatest reflection of just where I am shrinking.
    Less sugar means that my cravings have all but gone. I feel better, my mood is more even and I am sleeping all night-as I am menopausal and had been regularly awake since 4 am which was exhausting. I might have an Almond Croissant when I am in town today, just to see how it is and how I feel during and after.

Good morning!

Using clothing to gauge your progress is the best way. My sister and I each have a pair of jeans that we call “The jeans of truth” When they are not closing, things are getting out of hand! I must get mine out today and try them on.

The no sugar thing is huge. Not only for weight loss, but it causes inflammation and all manner of nasty things inside our bodies.

Keep up the great work ladies!

Hi Lori,
    I agree with you and your sister. I have shorts/cropped trousers/work trousers that are all my trousers of truth….nearly forgot the pink linen shorts that have never been worn!

Monday morning again. An early start as I got up with the cat at 3:30. It’s going to be a VERY long day.

I had too much sugar yesterday, but I’m back on the straight and narrow starting today! I’m also doing a fast today, although it may be closer to 800 calories than 500. I had a lazy day yesterday…did nothing but sit inside and read all day. I should have been outside going for a walk. Oh well…off to boot camp this morning to start my workout week.

Have a lovely day!

Morning All,
    After 3 weeks of avoiding sugar, the wheels came off over the weekend! It all started with a bag of roasted peanuts and went downhill from there…so I am back today with just avoiding sugar. I simply didn’t feel very well after the sugar, so that is enough of an incentive to avoid it. I did hear once that it takes 6 weeks to make a habit, so i have enough time to get this cracked before Christmas.

I am going to focus on sugar avoidance for the rest of this week. That is my one and only target.

That cat would not be waking me up. I have been reading that lack of sleep can stop weight loss, something about the release of ghrelin.Food for thought,Lori?

The wheels came off for me yesterday too Annette. I came home for lunch and got in to the pretzels & hummus. After dinner, I was in to the chips and pretzels and a piece of cheese. Then on to Dark Choc covered fruit. Sigh…. I was so tired and didn’t feel well, so off I went. Of course, eating all that stuff did not make me feel better. I went to bed at 8:30 and had a good night. Cat was outside all night!

Off to boot camp in a bit and looking forward to a better eating day ahead.

I thought of you Lori when I made my own Tahini and then put it in some homemade hummus-eaten with raw carrots dipped into it-scrumptious. I know that I just feel much better eating real food, the other stuff just makes me feel rubbish. I am just going to tell myself that it is simply my biochemistry that makes me seek out the sweet sugary stuff and that I will try and avoid it as much as I can.

I had a large bar of chocolate/almond croissant/dry roasted nuts over the weekend and I don’t think that I will bother with them anytime soon. They were no where near as fabulous as the were in my head, quite a disappointment really, and made me feel very tired and sluggish as well.

Have a go at making hummus yourself Lori-very easy as is the Tahini too.

Yes, I must look into making my own Hummus, although the one I buy has no added sugar or anything “funny” in the ingredient list. I have a food processor, just need to learn to use it! Too bad I don’t like carrots…..maybe I could substitute slices of cucumber for the pretzels that I usually use?

Viewing 50 posts - 2,001 through 2,050 (of 3,800 total)

You must be logged in to reply.