If your clothes are looser but the scales are the same, read on

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Benefits and side effects
If your clothes are looser but the scales are the same, read on

This topic contains 3,750 replies, has 216 voices, and was last updated by  annette52 2 weeks, 6 days ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 851 through 900 (of 3,800 total)

• Hi etherial,
    What would you like to chat about the diet?
    No the subject is not long gone, just a small diversion.
    Personally, I am rather worried about Easter and the chocolate that is bound to be hanging around.I do love chocolate.

hello ladies!

wow… I don’t know where to start πŸ˜€

Mommabear we all had days like that, treat it as a nice low calorie day, and carry on going πŸ™‚ I always feel like I NEED a treat before my time of the month, so you have a valid excuse! πŸ™‚

Annette & Hermaj, when I’m working, I am quite organised if comes to whole house/ work/ kids malarkey. Have a ‘cook it’ day one a week when I cook 4-5 different meals, portion it and freeze them, so I only have to defrost it, add some carbs/ salad and ready πŸ˜€ house work, well I will have 2 days a week, when is going to be just me and a baby, so planning on catching up on those days. Dust, cob webs, and ironing is done monthly (I only iron bedding, and buy clothes that don’t need ironing :D) so basic principals are in place already. thank god for washing machine/ tumble dyer/ dish washer! if i only had something that cleans my floors by itself (dog + almost crawling baby, need clean floors) putting clothes away is my dreaded task, with 2 young ones at home washing is a daily task. Husband cooks too, so we can go back to ‘before maternity’ rule of alternative days cooking πŸ˜€ with me doing ADF they can eat beans on toast every other day if they fancy πŸ˜‰

both boys are in beds by 7:30, so I could sit and study, from about 8-10 every day. Also have 1 hour lunch break at work, I usually send reading anyway, so just swap it for academic book πŸ˜‰ You did OU so I value EVERY advice, I know is going to be hard- especially with my English. Need to find a proof reader for sure, not 100% my hubby with be any good at it, so need to ‘look’ within my friends. Annette- They say on OU website that if you do 60 credit modules in one year you need to study 16 hours a week. I know it all depends and differs from person to person, but what is your opinion? How many modules, credits is achievable, possible on part time basis? just wonder… ? πŸ™‚

Hermaj I’m Polish, came to UK in 2007 speaking no English at all, I actually didn’t meant to stay more then 2 weeks (came on holiday) but met my hubby, 2 years later got married, another 2 had a first child … so I never left. My big boy speaks 3 languages and corrects my English almost every day, which is damn annoying.

Etherial we do speak about diet, but is only as much as you can say about it sometimes πŸ™‚ I’m having a stubborn scales at the moment, and never mind what they don’t want to go any lower! Frustrating as it is, I only have myself to blame, STOP BUYING THOSE CHOCOLATE BUTTONS SILLY! well I passed obsessing about it now, it will go down one day- it always does. It may take time but I’ll get there.

Planted spinach, so I will have it for snack when it comes out, but for now have to find replacement (strictly no choc at the study time! I am getting worried now:) )

My boss come to see me today, and she asked what I’m doing as I look so slim! πŸ˜€

is cornmeal like oatmeal just made with corn? Americans love they corn πŸ˜€

I made oat+bananas breakfast bars for my boys (mixed bananas with oats and baked for 8 min πŸ™‚ ) my 4 year old thought is Christmas, as I only let him have treats at the weekend. He was even allowed to have 2 of them hahaha.

HA! I didn’t want to interrupt the school conversations, so I went looking elsewhere. However, I was reading Michael’s intro blog and someone asked how they could speed up the process and he said it was okay to do the alternate-day program and I think that may be what I need. I’ve been on the program for over a year and have only lost 14 lbs. That’s good, but I think I should be at-goal by now.

I fast Mondays and Wednesdays and now I’m going to add Fridays. I eat a light breakfast and nothing else until dinner and my dinners are 350-400 calories. My breakfasts are two boiled eggs (or soft) and sliced up 1/2 chicken-apple sausage. I’m super-busy during the day at culinary school (funny) and it’s very strenuous lifting heavy pots, on your feet for 9-12 hours, walking back and forth up and down stairs, so I get a pretty good workout, but I think it will feel even better once I resume my workouts. When you’re fit, you function better and look younger.

Also, being surrounded by meats, rich sauces, etc. you’d think you’d eat a lot, BUT YOU DON’T. Seriously, you’re cutting it, sauteing and flipping it, and even tasting it, but you won’t have an appetite. I rarely eat in school.

I did give up my wine there for a minute, but it made it seem like another diet, so I changed my mind and I’m never giving that up again; no matter what. I am trying to get motivated to resume my 6x a week workouts. It’s coming and I feel it. Just gotta get motivated.

Thanks for asking me back into the conversation.

issu,
    Bear in mind that the courses increase in difficulty and it may take you longer to get through the work in some modules than others.There may be a number of compulsory courses that make up the degree, from level 1(which is the easiest) up to level 3. We all found that there was a significant increase in difficulty/complexity at each level, especially up to level 3.Two 60 point courses are hard enough in a year and you will need some time off too.Don’t even think about doing x2 60 point courses at the same time either.You may think that you are going to study from 8-10pm, but you are unlikely to do much very meaningful after a busy day.Concentration may last 20 minutes(which was what I found) up to 40 minutes at a time. I found that getting up earlier worked for me and I also did more at the weekends when I could break the work up between family commitments.I never managed more than an hour of useful work in the evening.Some weeks I did a bit less than 16, but rarely. It was usually more, especially when an essay was due. My best advice would be to start the course as soon as the books arrive, which will give you some leeway when illness strikes.

issu,

You are the second interesting Polish person to enter my life in the last few weeks. My MA dissertation supervisor is also Polish, not a great deal older than you, easy to talk to, bursting with ideas and great fun, but I’m sure she means business and I’ll have to work hard. Much better than some academic staff who students have to really chase to get them to take any notice.

While ethnic stereotypes tend to be a bad thing, in the UK Poles are known and admired for their work ethic and reliability, particularly craftspeople like builders, plumbers, carpenters and decorators, who are often said to put their British counterparts to shame. Would you say that was a fair assessment?

There’s even a joke: And God took seven days to create the world. If he’d been Polish, he’d have done it in four.

etherial,
    Let us know how you get on with ADF. I am not hard core enough for that.

I am going to continue with the 5:2 for the rest of the year and see where I am in December. I am trying to work out how there can be 24 inches less of me, but I am 10 lb heavier when there were 23 inches less of me. A conundrum.Either way there are another 3 inches of my waist to go before I am less than half my height.

I think that if I worked in a culinary school I would be tasting it all!Do you know how many inches you have lost? Perhaps x1 workout a week to start with? Take the pressure off yourself.

Great to have you back.

Etherial, I hope the alternate day works for you! After a year of the 5:2 could just be that your body needs a jump start. Have you ever tried the 16/8? I recently tried it with no luck. However, it has done wonders for a friend of mine. You fast 16 hours & eat 8. My friend eats from 12-8 every day. Good luck to you!!!

Issu & Annette…it’s cracking me up that you don’t know what cornmeal is!! It’s a staple in southern cuisine. We use it to make cornbread, hushpuppies, etc. Trying to think of what u might use it for in the UK. Do you eat polenta? I agree, Issu, that Americans love corn. We do!! Although in my family we prefer it fresh, straight from our garden!

Yesterday’s faux pas of eating 1000 calories on my fast day seems to have actually worked well for me. This morning at the gym I did one of my toughest workouts of my life. Normally after a fast day I’m struggling with my energy level & choose a less strenuous workout. Today I had no problems keeping up at all. In the hour we worked out, we probably burned close to 1000 calories. So I’m grateful I splurged yesterday!! Today’s workout was awesome!!

I’m off to start cooking dinner. Where I live in the US is known as “tornado alley.” We are currently under multiple storm & tornado warnings, lasting through most of the night. Despite the fact that it hasn’t rained yet, my son’s soccer game has even been canceled! Oh my. Could be a long night for us!

Happy fasting, friends!!

Hi mommabear,
    I don’t eat polenta, and hushpuppies are a brand of shoe here in the UK.
    Great to hear about your workout.Perhaps you need to shuffle your fast day/gym workout to suit?
    Tornado Alley sounds scarey. Hope you all slept.

Hi Mommabear, what’s hushpuppies? Hope you were all OK in the storm.

Update to our weekly weigh in. I did 1lb this week and Hubby did 2lbs, both with 27lbs off to date, so really pleased. We did no swimming due to this cold of mine and not being able to breathe hoping to start again Monday, and of course the Mothers Day festivities….so all in all it went quite well.

Fast day yesterday I really struggled, I don’t usually but I was really hungry with a rumbling tummy..strange…..maybe just still a bit under the weather.
    ( I know what you will be saying Annette,” shouldn’t be fasting when not well”) I can’t afford not too!

Good luck to you all,
    Jean

Hello Etherial!

I do ADF since January this year and works well for me. I lost 12 kg (scales moved today!!!!) since, and once your body adjust is easy. You will have hard days but at least with ADF you can treat yourself to anything you like next day. I was like you with my wine, but if you restrict calories every other day you may find your body rejecting alcohol, giving you the worst hangovers even after 2 glasses of wine. Fasting on hungover isn’t fun either. I wouldn’t be able to resist food working with it, you are a hardcore girl! Is bad enough to say no to cakes at work πŸ˜€ And don’t strain yourself working out hard, ADF work by itself, so lake it easy to start and give your body time to adjust to restrictions first! good luck, let us know how you doing! xx

Annette, I wasn’t even considering 2 modules at once. I think one will be challenging as it is. I find i work better in longer stretches of time, so I may find myself working hard one night a week, having a lay in at the weekend (hubby gets up with the kids every morning now, so he shouldn’t complain doing it once a week instead) but i will have to find what works when I start. I told myself if they say 16 hours it will take me 20, considering my English (writing is my downside!) I will start asap I can wait to lay my hands on the books! πŸ™‚ when do they give you studying materials?

Hermaj, I am happy you have good opinion about Polish people. I suppose we need to work hard in Poland, is norm there, so even being lazy here I find I do put more afford in what I do compare with my colleagues (maybe that’s why I always end up leading the team?) I hate not doing anything when I am working- find it waste of time. Frustrates me to work with people you constantly have to ask them to do task, even when they know exactly what to do. My work ethos is to relax after everything is done, not before πŸ™‚

Mommabear yes I have a pair of hushpuppies heals πŸ™‚ Very comfortable! πŸ˜‰

I love fresh corn, but that’s where my love finishing. Polenta? I find is blunt but maybe i just didn’t find the right things to eat it with.

well done on your work out! I agree with Annette, maybe shuffle your days? I find easier to run on my fast day, then normal day. If I run on normal day I eat light lunch and no dinner as it seems to work out best. (i normally run in the evenings)

Did you get over last nights weather warnings? tornados… I thought we had it bad here last winter, but that scares me.

happy fasting! xx

Jean! Well done on another lb! we all have some days when is harder then normal, I eat around 4 pm on those days, and once I do I find it easier to survive till bed time. 27 lbs! congratulation! xx

Jean,
    Well done on another lb. Fantastic achievement of 27 lb to date. You must be thrilled, just one more lb to the 2 stone mark!

issu,
    I think the OU materials arrived about 3 weeks before the start of the course.

My weight and inches are the same as last week.Just remembered that I am fasting today!

Hello all, ladies and gentlemen,
    Made the mistake of joining a gym two weeks ago, the following day I tore an intercostal muscle at cricket nets, leading on to a chest infection – good news is that it is compulsory for me to eat to
    take the painkillers etc.
    Everytime that I’ve joined a gym something adverse happens to my health.
    Really good to see the super motivated attitudededness!
    Stopped me feeling so sorry for myself πŸ™‚ And will help me get back in the saddle in a week or so’s time.
    Cheers

Hi Snedger,
    Sorry to hear to hear of your injury and chest infection. Rest and get well. The 5:2 and all of us will be here when you are fit and ready to join us.

Hello fast friends
    It’s a rainy Monday morning and a fast day for me (one of those mornings when I feel that I’d rather lounge in bed with a cup of tea and a couple of digestive biscuits.. but I’m resisting temptation!)

I haven’t been in touch for a while as my PC seemed to seize up and freeze every time I tried to log on to the new web site! However, it is working today so I thought I’d drop in and say hello..

Congrats to all on the weight loss and also to those of you doing OU courses or further education in general. I did an MA in my forties and enjoyed going back to university again. I got far more out of it than I did as a young undergraduate! I now have a part-time job teaching adults at evening classes – and I’m a big believer in people continuing to develop new interests and hobbies throughout life and even change careers completely. So very inspiring to hear all your stories.

Sorry to hear about your cricket injury, Snedger. I would say I’ve had less injuries since going to the gym – but I think it takes time to learn what exercises suit you as an individual. Do you have good staff at the gym who can supervise your workout once in a while and also change your programme to add variety? To avoid injury, I’ve also opted not to go running on roads or hard surfaces which seems to have worked for me. But its frustrating when injury and illness get in the way of progress! Rest up and hope you feel better soon.

I have had another plateau which has been a bit dispiriting after doing quite a bit more exercise in recent weeks (a friend is trying to go down a dress size before her big birthday bash so we’re doing an extra gym session) as well as my usual fast days. But I looked in my note book this morning just to remind myself of what my measurements were back in October and that has cheered me somewhat!

Also I track my weight and measurements on MyFitnessPal and can see that my usual pattern of losing weight is to plateau and then to suddenly lose a pound or two and then to plateau again, sometimes for weeks. So I am clearly going through that cycle again. But Im having a three day break next week at a hotel with very good food so I was hoping to get a few pounds off before I went!!

Today I’m a bit short of my usual fast day supplies, so I thought I’d ask everyone what you find the most useful items in your fridge or store cupboard to get you through a fast day?

The items I find hard to do without are – sparkling spring water and fresh limes, cherry tomatoes or strawberries (when in season) – for those moments when you need a taste of sweetness during the day without too many calories. I usually rely on stalwarts like baby leaf spinach or tenderstem broccoli which I might have with a poached egg or some type of protein. And cups of tea and green tea..

I tried – but failed to like – Miso soup so does any one have any soup recommendations of any kind – anything from tasty packet soups (if they exist?) to easy home made ones? Something warming does help if the sun isn’t shining as I do notice I feel the cold more on fast days (is that just me?)and soup feels quite filling.

Have a good week everyone!

Get well soon Snedger! xxx

@reluctant multi-tasker you may be gaining muscle, hence your plateau. Try some clothes on… How do they feel? With all extra work at the gym it may be just that simple πŸ˜‰

I have fanta zero in my house if I need a sweet ‘fix’. with just 9 kcal a can πŸ™‚ not often but time to time I have one and it seems to do the trick πŸ˜‰

soups … there is so many…
    #chicken broth, with chunky carrots and zero noddles
    #carrot and coriander
    #carrot and ginger
    #broccoli with low fat cream cheese (just a touch of cheese goes a long way)
    #carrot and squash
    #squash and lentil
    #spicy mexican veg soup with chick peas (my favorite- very filling)
    #borscht (beetroot soup yummy ! )
    #tomato&basil
    #mixed veg soup

I had weekend full of fun, and bottle of prosecco- celebrating the fact I made my decisions over work/ uni/ childcare πŸ™‚ With extra money we will have to spare, I’m looking at holidays for october half term! Well deserved for all of us! πŸ™‚

I also lost 2 lbs somehow over weekend ( ??? ) but not complaining at all πŸ˜‰ I was very good whole week, had 4 fasts and low kcal days as I seemed not to hungry at all. (excl. binge on choc buttons one day πŸ˜‰ ) so pleased with myself. I am 3 lbs off my ‘slim image’ (52 kg I set myself, as it’s what my sister weighted last few years and she was always the slim one! don’t get me wrong, there is no competition going, as we live in 2 different countries anyway, is just I always thought she is slim at that weight so getting there myself is a great achievement πŸ™‚ )

I start enjoying the way I look now, and you can really see difference with every lost kg, not long to go to total satisfaction (dancing!!!) looking forward new summer wardrobe (working in retail has it’s good sides- I have to buy clothes from recent collection as ‘uniform’, for small % of price πŸ™‚ )

fasting today after indulging on hot dogs and ice cream yesterday πŸ™‚

good day everyone! xxx

Reluctant {& others}, I’m with ya! I’ve been struggling lately with the scales. And I had a horrible weekend food-wise. {sigh} So today is a fast day for me & I’m attempting ADF this week, with fast days Monday, Wednesday, & Friday. So we’ll see how I do.

This morning as I walked in the gym a lady I workout with was behind me. Once we got in the door she said she didn’t even know it was me in front of her…she said my body has changed so much!!! What a wonderful compliment, especially since I carry my weight in my rear & hips!! So the scales are telling me I’m gaining, but I’m getting compliments & even I can tell my face still looks thinner. Hoping that means the scales are showing muscle gained…& the fact that I’m hormonal. Ha.

I just finished a protein smoothie, leaving 110 calories for “dinner” tonight. I’ll probably have some strawberries & kiwi or a bell pepper.

Reluctant, I love soup too. A few fast days I’ve made a veggie soup with vegetable broth, diced tomatoes, celery, onion, carrots, beans, salt/pepper, & oregano. It’s simple, super low-cal, & filling!

Happy fasting, all!! I’m off to fold another load of laundry…..that burns calories too, right?!?! Haha.

Mommabear,

What a lovely compliment, I think the gym makes the muscle, although you are loosing weight…you are gaining but the body changes, tightening up…and making you look good. Keep going…

We can only swim and walk gently due to bad knees and feet…I used to love walking, clears the head and you put the world to right, makes you feel good……shame what age does to you. Still you have to do what you can.

I have also just made a batch of veggie soup, put into the freezer in portions, for our lunch times, I always thinks it moves and helps with the weight.

Good luck for the week.

I had decided that I would actually work out how many calories were in my home made meusli, because I have always guessed, based on packet ones. Rookie error.Just picked myself off the floor after finding out how many calories are in dried dates, to say nothing of the mixed nuts!!
    Wrestling with the maths to try and work out how many calories per g, to find out the true picture.

There was a really good reason why it tasted so good πŸ™‚
    No wet or dry fruit in my diet.

@mommabear how is your ADF doing?
    what a great complement!!! You must be over the moon! ( I would be πŸ™‚ ) can you do my laundry too? I hate that job! (maybe next time I will try convince myself that is great calorie burner too )

@symba you are exercising more then I do every week anyway πŸ™‚

@annette how did the sums go?

@snedger not even one strawberry? Raspberry? Any berries in fact- I couldn’t live without them πŸ˜€

I’m having blah moment… (thank gherkins I’ve learned my lesson and there is NO chocolate buttons in the house!) my childminder just dropped a bomb telling me she may be changing job in sept. So either I look for a new childminder (there is no nursery near by, and I already asked 2 others with no luck) or change a job to work nights instead days. Why on Earth there is always a problem??? Feel like I could double vodka right now ( no vodka in the house either πŸ™‚ ) camomile tea will have to do…

good night everyone. xx

snedger,
    Really made me laugh. It took a while to weigh it all and calculate how much I was actually consuming and the answer is 271 calories/75g serving of meusli but without the natural yoghurt. I was working on 300 calories.
    Been out shopping all afternoon, cooking and then straight out to ceroc. I am too wired to sleep.
    mommabear, how is the ADF going? Fantastic compliment about your shape. You go girl!Remember, the scales are only part of the picture and muscle weighs more than fat.
    Symba, well done on the exercise. I had promised myself that I was going swimming, but the chill wind and rain has put me off so far.
    issu, oh dear.Does the chid minder know of any others that have vacancies?I hope that you find a solution. There is always a problem, even when the cherubs are grown.Hopefully, tomorrow will bring good news.

Yesterday, my 4 y/o daughter said to me, “Mom, I’m so hungry I could eat a chicken. Or a moose.” Today I agree with her.

This should be fast day 2 for me in my ADF week. But I woke up this morning with cramps, and after being a few days late, my time of the month has arrived. I need caffeine. I need food. I need to skip my fast day. I’ll pick back up either tomorrow or Friday.

And Issu, I really think my protein-packed smoothie for my Monday fast day really helped. I wasn’t hungry & had great energy all day, even after a hard workout.

I really hate to mess up my ADF plan, but everybody was getting on my nerves this morning & I’d only been awake for 20 minutes. Therefore I chose sanity. Ha!!! Plus, I feel that I’ve had great progress this week. My body is looking like it did before Christmas & all my winter indulgences. And I’m usually boated during my time of the month, but this time I’m not. I still haven’t been brave enough to measure, but just looking in the mirror & I can tell my inches are changing.

And another compliment yesterday from a friend at the gym!!! She said my rear (my main trouble area) looked different. My friends all started looking. Ha!!! And they agreed, it looked tighter & higher. Last night after my shower I noticed it too!!! And so did my husband. Ha!!!

In all honesty, I’ve never talked about my bum online before. And now I’ve told y’all my friends were even staring at it. Ha!!! Hilarious.

Happy fasting, all!! I’m making today a low-calorie day, even if I’m not fasting. We’ll see if I can stick to it. It’s a gorgeous day here & I’m working in my yard & garden all day!! Yay!

Good morning, mommabear. I’m also from tornado alley, Midwest USA. It’s been over a month since I began the 5:2 plan and I’m thinking this could be a life plan for me. Throughout the week, I include four rec center (gym) workouts and three home workouts. Husband and I also cycle and hike. I decided I wouldn’t weigh until late April because I understand muscle weighs more than fat and I didn’t want to get discouraged. Well, guess who’s wearing one size smaller trousers/pants/slacks today? Sure, they are stretchy material, but I’ll take the good news. It sounds like you’ve had some encouragement as well. Keep up the good work. I remember (and highly respect) those young mom years where your life isn’t your own! It’s a tougher road than my current, more peaceful empty nest years even if I do work outside the home. Be encouraged and nice to meet you. Watch the sky – we’ve had strange weather over the past four months! JeanDee

mommabear,

A lot of good things seem to be happening to you at the gym lately.
    All this talk of bums reminds me of my much-loved 5-year-old great-nephew who thinks “bum” is the funniest word in the English language. Just whisper it in his ear and he dissolves into peals of laughter. I confess I do it quite often. Fortunately his lovely Mum is as silly as me and joins in the fun rather than sending me to stand on the naughty step.

Mommabear i would love to have a look at you bum too πŸ˜€ you are making good progress, my dear so don’t worry about skipping fast. Sometimes (especially this time of month is actually better for your sanity)

I feel like I need a decant night out with my friends to relax a bit about recent ups. Although I get into all my chinos without muffin top hanging out, and feel that I am coming close to my goal ( I am gutted I didn’t keep my favorite jeans from 8 years ago as they would be a great indicator of where I am now) all my clothes fit, and I have days I feel good about my body, I’m still not there yet. Is crazy how we don’t notice differences very often. My best friend said to me on Monday, that ‘fasting obliviously works very well for me’. I then look at the mirror myself, and yes changes are huge and very positive.

Had a picture taken for driving licence- and even thou I see it everyday (face not the pic) I don’t like how square I look. People comment on my face regularly, so I asked my hubby what he things. He said he looks at the rest of the body and it’s improvements and can’t help to think I look sexy. (just don’t go all skinny he said too! πŸ˜€ ) He never spoke about my weight- when I was small or big, he never said a word to which is his preferable image of me.

my 4 years old favorite joke is ‘bum disease’. LOL

Just returned from my weekend in Carmel, Ca and I was in shock. I ate and I didn’t eat and I ate s’more and the scale showed me, without excuse, how I was not honest with myself and I got real Monday morning. I’ve decided that if I want to look really good and get back into my regular clothes, then I have to be honest and really stick with the plan. I’d always wondered, since I discovered this plan, how so many people were losing weight so fast and, I was trudging along, finally dawned on me when I read someone’s post regarding something TDEE or Tweddle-dee (kidding with that one)and I was definitely NOT following that which meant I was eating well over the 500 cal limit.

Fast-forward to today. This is a day in culinary school where you literally sit down and taste everything you prepared for two days. This week we wrapped up India. We sold out of our entrees and apps yesterday and had to prepare new food today.

Well, we always have leftovers and since it is part of our class requirement to judge the food at the end of our cooking/labs, we rate the tastes of each item. What I’ve done in the past was to eat/taste at lunchtime and no dinner. Well, to be sure I was only sticking to the total daily limit, I took a fork full of each rice, but did eat 2 cups of lentil soup. The soup is basically fat-free and the lentils are very filling. I ate that at 2p today and it is now 5:42p and I won’t eat dinner tonight, but will eat healthy meals tomorrow and then, fast again.

Don’t mean to be long-winded, but I have to put my cards on the table and be real about losing weight.

Thanks for your support.

Don’t forget matzo ball soup! I cook mine with celery, carrots, and onions; the holy trinity and homemade chicken broth with fresh thyme and garlic. I then add chicken thighs, but you can add raw chicken breast to hot soup and put the lid on for about 10 minutes. The chicken will be moist.

So you don’t contaminate your broth, dole out the amount you want for a meal and bring it to a boil, turn it off, then drop in the cut-up chicken breast pieces and put the lid on for the 10 minutes.

I garnish with cilantro. My favorite herb. Enjoy!

JeanDee, so nice to meet you!! We’re big hikers too. And as soon as my youngest is better at riding her bike, I’m hoping we get to cycle more too. Isn’t this weather crazy?? This morning we were bundled up (my daughter even wore gloves as we drove my boys to school…ha!!!!) & then this afternoon I was in a tank top & shorts as I planted flowers around my mailbox. I’m in Arkansas, & we always say “if you don’t like the weather, stick around another 5 minutes…it’ll change.” Ha!

I’m fasting tomorrow, despite having tennis league. Hopefully I can make it!!! Happy fasting, all!

Etherial… gosh it must be hard to stick to calorie counting in culinary school. It’s bad enough when you prep all your food for yourself!

Tweddle-dee made me giggle… we all have a bad day (I had one yesterday!) so don’t beat yourself about it, just stick to the plan as much as you can. We all had reality check at some point, and needed to adjust our menu/ habits/ routine. Every single one of us. It came with a shock to me some time ago, how low my tweddle-dee is and how little I will have to consume every day if I wanted to stay slim. I almost run away from the whole idea and just accepted I will just be fat and happy with it (somehow that second one didn’t feel real thou so I did stick to fasting)

best of luck!

mommabear I would kill for 2 hours of ‘vest weather’. I am still wearing my feather jacket most days! xx

I’m forcing myself to go to a gym induction on Friday – won’t be able to actually move any of the equipment but need to get in to a positive frame of mind and the induction tick means that there is nothing officious to stop me gyming.
    My tummy sure has changed in 3 weeks of not fasting – so have taken myself off painkillers and if I can manage withou by the end of Sunday, then willbe back on to 3 day fasting next week.

@issu not even Wensleydale, I mean berries – having said that I did eat an apple and blackberry crumble the other day – delicious 90% proof sugar πŸ™‚ I know that there are lovely things like polyphenols in fruit, but I could get that from green tea, without the sugar load.

@etherial is the Hog’s Breath still there in Carmel – just realised that I went there in 1987.

Yes, lots of quaint little inns; very cute cottages. We didn’t eat there, though. We found this gem of an Italian restaurant called Napoli or something like that. Delicious!

Issu: Not hard at all. I always eat breakfast before going to school. Believe me, you won’t even flinch when you look at the food; especially when you see some of your cooking mates’ bad sanitation habits.

I asked one student to peel some carrots for me and when I came back they were peeled and I asked her to wash them and she asked why should she, when she already peeled them. Another student almost threw leeks in my stock pot without splitting it down the middle and taking out the black dirt and sand. They became disgusted when I proceeded to clean it. That would have been in my stock. People can get sick. I’ve only seen one person touching his nose inappropriately, but someone reminded him to go wash his hands. Don’t even know if he did it.

Trust me, you will have so much discipline. I get in trouble because I’m such a fabulous cook! I love food and I love experimenting with it when I’m off. Vacation is next week and I’m going to make some breads and thin-crust pizzas. My favorite is margarita with torn basil.

@snedger take it easy lovely, and don’t over do it!!!!!!

@etherial I’ve worked in catering for years and seen some classic examples of bad food hygiene. People touch all sorts of things and not even think to wash hands afterwards. (Like cleaning the tables, and then prepping food grrr!)

Margarita is my favorite too!

Having a knowledge about flavoures and how to mix them is great advantage in life. You can make some awesome, healthy and very tasty food as well as treats. It gives you freedom, just imagine how many undiscovered combinations is still out there to try! πŸ™‚

Snedger, hope your gym time goes well! Hopefully you’ll meet lots of lovely folks & make new friends. I don’t know what I’d do without my gym family!!

Etherial, your talk of Carmel has me drooling. Ever venture into Sonoma?? I highly recommend the Red Grape, an awesome little restaurant that serves a white pizza in the summer full of fresh, local ingredients (corn, basil, etc)…oh it’s making me drool. Ha! And the Kunde vineyard….oh mercy.

Despite my hormones (& my lack of sleep last night thanks to child #2 & #3), I tried to jump back on the fasting bandwagon today. I didn’t eat breakfast, and then played 1.5 hours of tennis. Afterwards I decided I couldn’t do just 500 calories. So I ate 800 & I won’t eat anymore the rest of the day. I’m frustrated I’m over the 500 cal, but content that I’m under my bmr & that I have enough sanity to deal with soccer games, groceries, laundry, ironing, & the constant changing of princess dresses (not for me but for my indecisive 4 y/o…ha!!!).

Hope everyone had a more productive fast day!

Hi All,

A Friday weigh in and we are maintaining at the same weight. Things have slowed down a great deal for both of us. We had a great Fast week and did the swimming as usual.
    Our daughter came for a visit and said we look great and thinks we should stay about were we are, she said don’t loose too much and go gaunt looking! We would like another 7 lbs off but if we maintain at this weight we are also happy.

The 28lbs or about what we have lost has made a lot of difference. I have gone from a 18 (uk size) to a general 14 and some clothes to a 12, I am in healthy BMI 25 just! And my waist at 32″ is less than half my
    5′ 7″….so all in all about were I was aiming at. My new skinny jeans at a 14 are starting to get loose.

Hubby has gone from his XXL to XL but still waiting to buy clothes as these are big but not quite into L, so very pleased as well.

This is such amazing easy way to get fit and healthy and make you think what you are eating and also upping the excerise.

My tablets I have taken them every day for 4 years for GERD (heartburn and acid) from the Doctor, I stopped taking them 6 months ago, so really pleased on that as well.

Awaiting a visit from my (cake) sister she has been told not to bring any! Although I have given way and made some plain scones, at least I feel as I am in control!

Good luck to all Fast Friends for this week
    Jean x

@mommabear I’ve watched ‘secret eaters’ or whatever is called some time ago, they did experiment on people how sleep (or luck of) make us eat over 30% more if we have interrupted night sleep. I know is not the most scientific or in any way clever program (things you get to watch on mat leave hehe) but since I’ve watched it I observed on myself it’s true. πŸ™‚ not that you can do much about children waking πŸ™‚

@jean! I’ve told you before but I will say again! You and your husband are truly remarkable, and gone such a long way! Well done!!!!

You even have your (cake) sister under control now πŸ˜‰ Enjoy scones and her company!!!

have a great day ladies!

I am of to Easter fund raising day today, with lots of cakes for sale… on my fast day!? that will be a test for my self control πŸ˜€

@issu: You didn’t eat them while you were making them and that’s always a good thing!

We’ve been to Carmel 3x now and every few months, trapse all over the wine country. Even Lodi, Cal., has some really great wineries. It’s a hidden gem, Michael & David Winery makes 7 Deadly Zins, Heavenly Chardonnay, Lust, and Rapture. I love Rapture.

This is my 3rd fast day. I ate moderately yesterday, and had breakfast this morning, so tonight’s dinner will be about 100 calories. It’s about time I got serious with this program/lifestyle. Graduation is next month and I hope to be wearing my white Tory Burch skinny jeans under my robe.

Hello fast friends,
    I have enjoyed reading your posts, but have struggled to feel very positive myself.For the past 5 weeks, there has been little change in my weight, although there was an inch loss off my waist. I have been very strict on a fast day and have tried to be more aware of what I was eating on the other days.
    However, just been out for an 8 mile run in the sunshine(the first for several weeks) while I have been to the gym twice a week for the past 5 weeks to try interval training for a 10K in 2 weeks. The goal was to improve my speed as I am rather slow.
    I set off for the run wondering whether the gym experience had made any difference at all.It has knocked 2 minutes off each mile and there were some sprints in there and some runs up hill!So, now I am wondering if the 5 weeks at the gym and the same 5 weeks with an almost static weight are linked. My guess is probably.
    I certainly work harder at the gym,although the treadmill is boring, interval training is definitely the way forward.Even though I nearly shot off the back when I got a bit ambitious with a bit too fast for my rather short legs!
    Deadline is the 17th for applying for one of the compulsory modules with the OU Law Masters…..oh what to do?
    What are you all doing to cope with Easter, and all that chocolate?

Wow!
    Listen to your post – almost blasΓ© talk of 8 mile run – shaving time off!
    That didn’t happen all that long ago.
    Just shows that strength improvement doesn’t have all to be physical.
    That’s helped me to confront my obstacles.
    As for chocolate, not had Easter eggs in home since one of my sons ate 15 full sized “hidden” choc eggs when he was 4.
    I do fancy some chocolate right now though.

We are going away for Easter to Retford in Lincolnshire on the side of the River Trent, it was going to be for 4 nights but now changed it to 5 nights. We have two Easter Eggs each so not too bad. The big 65th Birthday for me while away….avoiding secret parties which I wouldn’t like. So meeting up with friends, a meal or two out and I am sure a few bottles of red wine will be consumed.
    We had a very heavy Friday with food this week, so have been eating very light this weekend with no alcohol…shame but that’s the penalty. A very light thoughtful week ahead before a heavy Easter! Still you are only 65 once! So I will enjoy….

Don’t feel down Annette you do really well, the plateau hits us all, we all have been loosing for a long while and these last pounds and inches are always the slowest to come off, have Easter enjoy and then get back on track.

Good Luck everybody have a good weekend.

Annette I think you are doing brilliantly!

Your fitness now must be fabulous compared with before the running – although I share your frustrations about the slow pace of weight change. The tough part is to keep doing what you are doing regardless – and know that in the long run you will reap the benefits. The ‘long run’ may just be longer than you’d like.

I keep losing/gaining/losing/gaining the same 3lb – I am just overdoing the non-fast days (I think I am bored now not working so I seem to eat & drink more when I do go out). It really annoys me when I’ve been so good on fast days when I screw it up for myself by the end of the week.

But keep going – you are truly an inspiration! πŸ™‚

Cath x

Snedger,
    My son and I agreed that it was bonkers after the half to drop our mileage to nothing, with a 10K on the horizon.So we have a rather lovely route that we like, and we both said that we were amazed that we could do a cheeky 8 and feel fine afterwards. The first few times we had to go to bed to recover!The race is 6 miles and we can do that fine, but anymore and I get very hungry and then slower.The hill that we ran up took 12 stops before but today we stopped x3 times!Sprinting on the flat is new for me too. So I am delighted and will now stop moaning about the gym.Your son must have been very sick after so many chocolate eggs.
    Jean,
    Have a wonderful birthday and enjoy the Easter eggs. I haven’t bought myself one, perhaps I will now and enjoy them too.I am sure that you are right, it would be good to have a break and enjoy ourselves, it has been quite a haul getting here so far.
    Cath,
    Thank you.My fitness is much better and I can even walk faster too.I have come to the same conclusion that I am simply eating too much on my non-fast days, but one of the reasons that this way of life appealed was the lack of counting calories.I am just going to focus on the inches shrinking and try to ignore the scales for a month.
    I am fasting on Monday and Thursday this week.I plan to fill my time in the garden, digging and planting fruit and vegetables. It will at least keep me out of the kitchen!

Annette I am sure those weeks are linked. You are gaining muscles from all that hard work at the gym! Celebrate your inches! πŸ™‚ how did your fast today go?? Apply for masters πŸ™‚

Jean you Easter trip away sounds great, treat yourself it’s your big birthday so don’t worry, you have the rest of the year to look after yourself! πŸ™‚

Snedger 15 chocolate Eggs! Wow he did well πŸ˜‰ I imagine he had a job getting that out of his system! I bought few chocolates but didn’t go mad, lucky ( on this occasion) most of our family is far away so not too many visitors popping in with Easter eggs. Got few things planned, egg hunt and few other activities so will see if I can resist all the temptation. The worst is I got some choc raisins in the cabinet ( treat for 4 year old for learning his letters, and they are out every day as I am using the time we have over Easter to have some fun teaching him to read… so far I had only one raisin! πŸ™‚ ) xxx

issu,
    I hope the weeks are linked,it seems too much of a coincidence otherwise.
    I have spent most of the day in the garden digging and planting strawberry plants and french beans,and some tomato plants too.My little back garden is filling up.

I admire your restraint over the chocolate raisins. I would have eaten them and then had to replace them!The gym is shut on the bank holiday so I am now fasting on Friday.

I have been good all day, but now I am struggling now with fasting. I may just have to go to bed!

My little boy was just sitting in the cupboard, chocolate smeared all over his chops – he just took it in his stride, didn’t seem to effect him at all.
    Just remembered one other time, 2nd December – he finished off the chocolates in his advent calendar and his brother’s as well!

My first fast day in 4 weeks got cancelled. Went to the doctors after finishing my antibiotic course for my “chest infection” and was told in fact that my xray had showed that the lower part of my left lung had collapsed – unbelievable that they hadn’t told me after 2 weeks. And also a blood test had proved inconclusive as to whether my blood was clotting – in other words a new test was required pronto!
    So, as I have to fast tomorrow for blood test, had a nice nosh up for dinner – I love Jersey royal potatoes.

Well, I’m not much of a sweet eater so the Easter candy isn’t too much of an issue for me. Although the older I get the more that seems to be changing. Grrr!! But Snedger’s Jersey royal potatoes have me intrigued……..you had me at potato, Snedger. Yummmm….I’m a total carb-addict. What are these heavenly things you call Jersey royals?????

Annette, I too have had a rough go of it lately. Over the weekend I was so depressed because I’m up 10 pounds since Christmas. Granted, I haven’t weighed in the mornings, and only at night when it’s really hard to gauge, but even considering my clothes I know I’m heavier. Here’s what’s odd: my face is usually a dead giveaway for any weight gain…and my face looks the same. My husband was the first to point that out. He didn’t believe me that I’m 10 pounds heavier. So after my workout this morning I was discussing it with friends and my instructor. Everyone agreed it was water retention from my time of the month and just poor food decisions lately. Our instructor even commented on how good my arms looked while we were working out, etc. So surely really watching my diet and getting on strict on my non-fast days should help that. I also need to up my cardio. I believe my weight gain has happened since dropping my normal Thursday workouts (and super high cardio day) for my tennis league. Tennis is great exercise, but doubles tennis just isn’t as intense as what I usually do.

I’m envious of your garden, Annette! I had visions of planting mine today as well. However, after 80F degree weather, last night major storms rolled through. Tornadoes, hail, etc. Right now it’s a windy and damp 41F. Unbelievable! My kids are playing outside but I’m indoors and FREEZING! Ha! I’m a Southern girl…I like the heat. But tomorrow it’s supposed to be beautiful again. So lots of planting and more planting!

@mommabear Jersey royals are a variety of potato that only grow on the channel island of Jersey (small island off north coast of France) – very short season and imo the most yummy potato you can buy. They cost a lot more, but totally worth it.
    Oh bother, 4am on a fast day and all I can think about now is Jersey potatoes and butter, slurp!

Viewing 50 posts - 851 through 900 (of 3,800 total)

You must be logged in to reply.