hi. looking for a buddy or buddies to do this with. females only please.

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Welcome to The Fast Diet and Exercise forums
hi. looking for a buddy or buddies to do this with. females only please.

This topic contains 556 replies, has 76 voices, and was last updated by  metatauta 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 251 through 300 (of 557 total)

• Thanks for the welcome to the group. Glad to be part of it.
    Did my first FD yesterday. Went pretty well, not too hungry. I did have 2 cups of miso broth (10cal per cup) between breakfast and dinner. Somehow the miso felt more satisfying than just tea or coffee.
    For my exercise, I’m doing the 7 minute workout (there’s a few apps that offer this workout for about $3). I’m aiming to do it 5 days/week–it’s quick and doesn’t require any special equipment. I also have a fitbit so I’m trying to walk 10,000 steps every day.
    I’m considering doing the FastBeach version of the diet–anyone here tried it yet?

@whyamisoshy: Sounds like you have low blood sugar. Do you eat a good breakfast the morning after your fast day? That might help.

I sometimes am tired after a fast but can’t tell you whether it’s related to sleep pattern, the fast, my job, life, the universe or everything!!

@skinbetty yeah i may well have low blood sugar…
    i have noticed it in the past… the worst i ever had was on a raw veg only diet, for a year or so, i was empty more or less the whole lime cos you ‘go’ all the time, and i woke up, after eating nothing for about 10-12 hours,had pineapple juice freshly squeezed, about 3/4 pint, and within 5 minutes i honestly felt like i had been hit on the head with a hammer. my words were slurred and i was desperately thirsty and tearful . i never eat sweet fruit on an empty stomach now, though i know they are meant to be eaten like that, because i am so scared of feeling ill. this was like a mini mini version of that. but i couldn’t have gone to work.
    i been feeling weak n rotten all day and i think you’re bang on. i woke up to a homemade real chocolate no sugar but with a splenda hot chocolate all milk and a croissant. very filling. then i fell asleep again and felt rotten.
    so yes.

@katab you are funny!

ooh the plt thicken… so. what shall i do about that then x please don’t say i have to give up my fasting i love it! i really enjoy it! actually, they would probably say it will cure it! lol

… interesting that i don’t feel or wobbly or weakened or unwell or thirsty or shakey on the fast days but on the mornings and early after noons after i eat. when my body is processing food again. that must mean something.

I made it through a tough fast day!! I stuck to my 500 calories and I’m so glad I did. The first few fast days seemed so easy but this last one….hard! So moving on….

Good luck to all of you fasters!!

well done you!!! see???

i can always do the fasting bit its everynother day!!!! dont i sound bonkers! 🙁

really looking forward to answers to help me try a smoother transition into the next days after a fast day cos i realized i aways feel rough the next day and its low blood sugar.
    the thing that does ti to me worst is fruit. but i hadnt had any. i had had hot choc and a croissant.

all helpers welcome xx

Why: Do you think it’s because you are breaking your fast with all that sugar? Probably not the best thing for a body who has been fasting. It needs nutrients, not empty calories. Just a thought.

@why That’s too bad you feel strange. I feel the opposite. The day after a fast, I feel great. 1800 calories feels like a feast. I have a hard time eating it all and have to tell myself it’s ok to eat. (After all, dieting is supposed to be painful. Haha) Today, I’m loving it. Lol

If it is blood sugar then a simple blood test will rule it out. Also there is a5:2 specially for diabetics but it’s not something you can self diagnosis.
    But I would be agreeing more with what Elphababa said about starting your day with hot chocolate as it gives you a quick and fast sugar fix but then you have no long acting sugars to keep your blood sugar steady.
    For example, when You are nursing a diagnosed diabetic who starts to go hypo, which is when their blood sugar drops dangerously low and if untreated they will go into a coma, usually you may need to give them a ‘quick’ sugar fix, something that will instantly raise their blood sugar. But if you only give them that it will drop again quickly so you also need to give them a long acting sugar which will maintain them over hours. This is the basis of what they call low GI foods. Your long acting sugars are something like carbs such as wholegrain bread, biscuits etc. For a diabetic say that wakes up with low blood sugar you would give them a sandwich or biscuits the night before. I have a diabetic client who is an alcoholic, the mornings after going to pub he is always low sugar and hates the special drink they give him. So now his carers leave out for him a glass of orange juice (quick acting) and some wholemeal biscuits such as digestives (long acting) and he has those when he wakes usually about 5am and that has stopped his hypos.
    So you maybe need to consider something you can take with your chocolate drink to maintain your blood sugar and not give you such a burst in the morning.
    BUT if you are concerned you should get a blood test to rule out diabetes and in fact all overweight people should have this test at least once a year

i have glucose pee sticks and i am 100% bang on thank goodness @katab 🙂

i dont get low blood sugar discomforts unless i have been empty for 36 hours or a very long time!

Well, 36 hours IS a long time so you need to make sure your first food does more than just give you a sugar kick (IMHO)

for example…? @katab and thanks for being so caring 🙂
    did i mention this week i am doing 4:3 too? it starts friday, the first 3rd fast. the fasts i can totally handle now. i just gotta get some eggs n bacon down i guess after my coffee… or plain biscuits i guess… x

For example, something low GI that’s.e wholegrain toast, granola, porridge etc etc

Hate to burst your bubble but those foods aren’t low GI. Maybe the porridge, the other two I wouldn’t have under any circumstances. The toast has already been converted into maltose (two glucose rings joined together) before you’ve even swallowed that mouthful. It is converted into glucose shortly after leaving the stomach and entering the intestines.

I’m only thinking what and how unstable diabetics manage their blood sugars, I’m not proclaiming my self an expert in any way.
    Like I said there is a 5:2 book specifically for diabetics…

Having said that the diabetes.uk guidelines do have granary, rye and pumpernickel bread down as low GI so who am I to argue with them… To me wholegrain/granary is the same but I could be wrong
    Anyway, best to look it up yourselves as then we don’t have to criticise each other 🙃😃😀😄

Another FD today. I was pretty bummed that the last one resulted in no weight loss. I have it in my head that the weight should just go in the downward direction, but I guess that is not true. I suppose it will take several weeks before any trend can be seen? I too have noticed more difficulty figuring out what to eat when I break from the FD. Did not sleep well either on the last FD.

ok so i have hit this challenge. i need to find things they sell in italy- where i live some of my life- that are suitable for me when coming out of a fast. slow release. low GI. i cant eat porridge, i dont know why, it makes me vomit. i have never understood it. hope you’e all doing well. i wish i could cos i want to enjoy eating days not dread them! x

I’d love to join in! This is day 1 for me in the 5:2 diet. I’m a mom of 2 living near Memphis,TN.

Diamonddazzle: I noticed that although I haven’t lost weight this week my trousers are looser round the waist. Unfortunately I ignored the book’s advice to take waist measurements at he start!!!

And yes, I don’t sleep so well on FD…

welcome @lingo82!

@katab isnt it weird how different we all are… i sleep like a baby on UD and DD alike.

I just finished a fast day yesterday. This one went so much better. It’s really funny how hard it is to fast on a Monday and how easy it is on Thursday. It totally mental!

Enjoy your weekend everyone!!

I’m the opposite, for me Monday is a breeze but come Thursday I’m dragging myself around hungry and tired.

its weird cos i am on my 3rd fast day this week and it is totally fine. i am a little but achey but no more. today i will be shipping for muesli to have to ease me into tomorrow so i don’t get that horrible woozy feeling again!

good luck all xx

I tried something different yesterday. It was a non FD, and I ate my big meal midday. I had a very light dinner and slept great. Today, Friday, is a FD. First time I’ve tried a Friday but I’m hoping it will keep me from going out tonight and consuming way too many calories even for a non FD. However, I am finding that I am eating less on non FD than I used to. Any other ladies finding this true for them???

Yes I do..
    I definitely cannot eat the same amounts anymore!
    Which is good thing as our mind is hopefully making the right food choices too as in maybe eating lighter?

@whyamisoshy muesli is good way to break a fast, I like to have weetabix with cinnamon

yes @annabar, i really am!

yes @missj2002 i will try and find a no added sugar muesli. i wonder how you can find a slow release thing without a specific label about the glycemic indexes of whats inside it???

any ideas? i ne er wanna feel like those four days again i really don’t

and i wont. 🙂

so i finished my 3rd fast this week and tomorrow am going to eat a meal! i probably wont be able to manage it all! x

Hi Why,

If you’re struggling to find healthy ready made breakfasts you could try making your own, perhaps something from
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/collection/low-gi-breakfast

Yes why the above is a good suggestion. Also if you google low GI foods you’ll find heaps of links and suggestions, also a diabetes website, even though you’re not diabetic, should give you some good dietary principles.
    Muesli and wee taboo sound very good options. You can find heaps of good cooked suggestions but as I dislike a cooked breakfast, other than soft boiled eggs, I don’t tend to notice these sorts of things, my mind discounts them as I would really only want them for lunch, not breakfast

I’ve been sleeping really poorly and had a big cry fest on Thursday so have bought some Rescue Remedy to help me sleep for the time being…so I don’t now think it was related to FD
    Fasting Sunday instead of Monday next as my big sis is coming to stay for a few nights..

Weetabix!! Not wee taboo….grrr, predictive texting!!😃🙃😀😃🙃

well i did my 3 day fast this week and am totally fine. i might do it regularly. x

Well done… You must be well pleased

Hi Ladies. Hope I can join the group too! I’m in Melbourne Australia and started intermittent fasting about 3 1/2 weeks ago. It is working very well for me – probably the best system results wise and feeling really good and not deprived. Here is my story to date…..

I have tried a few different schedules to ease my way in and have settled on the ADF which includes a 24hr fast every second day. My NF days consist of 3 meals, usually a protein shake with blackberries, almond milk (unsweetened), protein powder, Greek yoghurt and some chia seeds – it delicious! Lunch is a large salad which includes 1/2 an avocado, bocconcini spinach and rocket leaves, toms, cucumber, grated carrot, capsicum and red onion. I top it with a tin of flavoured tuna (sararcha a favourite at the moment!) and some toasted pinenuts. I make my own vinegrette dressing and add a bit of this. Dinner is usually a bowl of veggie soup (I make a big pot on the weekend and my daughter (adult) and I are happy to have that every night (with a nice sprinkle of parmesan cheese). After dinner I might have a handful of almonds for a bit of crunch factor. I also make some parmesan crisps to replace my chip/crisps addiction!
    Anyhow, after dinner and snacks there’s no more eating after 8pm at the latest. Next day is a fast day and I drink lots of green flavoured teas and water during the day. I don’t eat anything until dinner in the evening which is the soup and I might add some quinoa and chicken tenderloin for some protein. Again a handful of almonds as my after dinner crunch snack. I probably don’t quite get to 24 hr as I eat dinner at around 6pm so is strictly about 22hr from the night before.
    A couple if times I have extended my fast and not had my dinner on FD and therefore made the fast into a 36 hr fast – feels great waking the next morning and can’t wait to jump on the scales ( and also to eat!).
    Yesterday which was a NF day I had 2 pieces of whole grain toast and 2 boiled eggs ( well mainly egg white – don’t like too much yolk) for breakfast, no lunch and then a bowl of spaghetti Bol followed by a bag of Grainwaves (175gm!!) and an orange – a bit of a binge I guess but it was good! It was almost 1900 calls for the day. I Ve decided to give myself a ‘cheat’ day once a week – I guess that was it!! I was also coming off a 36 hr fast so not feeling too guilty about it. Today I’m yet to get on the scales to assess the damage! Today (Sunday) is back to fast and I’ll have nothing other than tea/water until soup dinner tonight. Then I will start another 36hr fast so won’t eat until Tues morning.

To date I have lost about 4kg ( about 8.8lb I think). I’m 53 yrs, 157cm (5′ 1″) and my starting weight was about 69.5kg. I’m now around 64.5kg. I’d like to get to sub 60kg.
    By the way, I do no exercise – I’d rather focus my energies on eating right and yes to be honest I’m lazy like that!!

Love reading your stories with successes and set backs alike. Good we can all support each other from around the world!

sorted that issue. great! today, after three fasts this week, my first eating day, i woke up bloated. huge. like a barrel. tummy. thighs. hands. face. ugh.
    you can bet i was nit pleased x no idea why. after 3 fasts…

ooh i just saw those, hi @katab and yes, thanks- except i have bloated up like a whale. dont ask me why. three fasts and no cheating. huge i am today x
    welcome @mumsy63 !

Yes, welcome mumsy63

Why…. My friend had issues with bloating but that was after she did a 40 day fast and only drank fluids (for spiritual reasons).
    A lot of people here write about how many hours they are fasting and how little they eat. I read the book carefully (being a bit sceptical about potentially another fad diet) and read a) the general recommendation of breakfast and then a late dinner,b) That we ate 25% of a day’s calorie total and that he recommended slightly more protein for FD. The science and reason for that is in the book , once my mind accepted it I didn’t keep the exact reasons in my head.
    But he did warn us fasting would alter things, our appetite, our desires, our bowel habits. So I guess we need to expect certain changes and that it’s a process in so far as he advocates it as a lifestyle rather than a diet so I want it to be, for me, this is how I eat X amount of days, this is how I eat others, and for it not to be a big thing for me.
    Why- are you menstruating? Remember our cycle could affect things too, or maybe over three days you didn’t eat 25% of your calorie requirements, or not enough protein….if you go back to his book he does talk about what happened to him on a four day fast just to see. But if you’re very rigorously fasting the you may have to be more careful of how you are afterwards. I am not fasting in that way, I’m taking the laid back approach as I want this to be a long term thing for me and know myself well enough that if I go at it as thoroughly as others are doing then I’ll get bored and rebel eventually. Hopefully that makes sense

thanks my friend! @katab !

i was trying- this is my idiot theory- not to count calories- and i think i must have eaten too many salty or sugary things. the fast days, no, i am rigid, but i am going wrong somewhere. i was getting smaller by the day. i am now huge! my whole tummy and everything is out like i am 9 months pregnant! and my face too, and under my arms, thighs. i just changed over night. the irony is, i had managed to go to the loo finally! you would think that would have relieved me but it seems to have made things really bad. i feel heavier i look bigger… my lumps and bumps are lumpier adn bumpier hahaa.

i wont worsen my mood by weighing myself cos i expect to have put on at least the 8 pounds i lost and i will go into despair again. and that way lies madness for me.honeatly, suddenly i feel bigger than i was when i started. i did three fasts this week and i feel bigger! how is that even possible? last ight i went out and indulger but it happened the night before when i hadnt.

i was positively looking forward to my fast today and i think i am going to make it a water only.

i just dont know whats going on. its scary for me. it makes me think … well desperate diet things. i cant do more than fast every other day, can i? but i will have to watch my cals on non fast days cos eating 1500 on sweets and choc is not going to help (i haven’t done it, i am using it as an example… and i do love my sweets… and ‘you can eat whatever you want’ etc. i cant.)

i feel disappointed and upset. i keep hearing that people dont count calories on days off. but i stopped doing it and i have exploded. this is how i came to my theory. other than sweets i eat very well. healthily and balanced. but i mean… i am just looking now, i look completely different in the last two days. overnight! i am literally too scared of the emotional fallout and effects if i weigh myself. or maybe its a blip. or maybe i am doing that seeing yourself differently thing. i don’t know, but something is afoot. no, i dont have my period. i do suffer from chronic constipation. but i seem to be managing that better than before.

i am working at this as hard as i can, it is such a relief to be fasting today, i cant tell you, i am not hungry at all, and i dont have to worry about what to eat! and i feel very supported by my posse of girl on here… i am just telling my friends about this in case anyone else experiences anything similar. or indeed, for your info its interesting. i am eating so fewer calories over all, it must be losing me weight!

i will survive, and i will win. i will. love to all x

Maybe have more than just water on a FD and maybe eat enough calories on non FD too…so,etimes less isn’t better… Go back to basics….

no, what i was saying is i think i must in the last week have eaten too many calories on the non fast days!

Let’s hope next week is a better one for you.
    I haven’t done but am thinking I should have started doing waist measurements too for those difficult weeks as sometimes it’s more than just what the scales tell us…

i did. i gained 4 inches in this bloat!
    i have a whacking migraine too.
    its been awful, and toothache. ugh!
    i could cry, but i wont cos it will make everything hurt more.
    i have had more or less exactly 495 calories today and tomorrow i will attempt to eat 1800 cals

you should have really done the waist thing, cos it is interesting.
    however, weight loss is weight loss.
    inches loss in another thing.
    feeling thinner is another thing altogether as is looking slimmer.
    all this is cos we want to feel better which can happen in the form of nothing to do with this at all!

weird , init?!

laters x

You’ve done well with your calories

Isn’t losing inches mean we’re losing weight?

sometimes yes!
    sometimes its just rearranging where the weight is.

for example, my waist has gone back again. 4 inches on two days ago. 5 inches off today.
    but today my hips are one inch bigger.

that being said i dont know what i weigh.

but i do know in the past, for example, i have weighed the same and lost two inches from my waist and put on two inches around my upper thigh.

see what i mean? or did i put it badly?

my stats (when i am a stone overweight like now) are 40 30 40. they call that in italy the perfect hourglass figure cos its equal top and bottom. i call it huge. ugh. all my size 10 and 12s and even 14s waiting for me to drop this stone.

you should all get (if not already) the jason fung book THE OBESITY CODE and also ALTERNATE DAY FASTING… with the pic of the big mac and apple in half on the front. they are both good reads and i can firmly recommend them. FUNG is a very good chap. very good scientist and also a bit of a laugh.

i have eaten all the ice creams and chocolate in the house so hopefully this week will yield a loss again after my 3rd week yielding a stay the same after my first two weeks yielding a staggering 8 pound loss.

well, i am working at this. x aren’t we all? if i feel half way thru today (oh it is half way thru today- i am in bed with my migraine) i want to stop fasting and eat normally, i will (at least my enormous bloat hs gone down). someone brought me an enormous platter of my fave cakes yesterday, kilos adn kilos. am i tempted? not so far.

right now, everything is going onto my bump around my (i don’t know what that place is called) below my waist and tops of hips on the sides. two little bumps in my silhouette. when i am slim they go. when i gain weight i cant wear a tight dress cos their are two little road bumps! with a really obvious dent in the middle. so i cant hide it!

have a good day.

decided to fast again today. thats two in a row. just cos i feel i want to. and i am not hungry. yes day two eggs, milky coffee and big plate of 6 green veg. yumyumyum.

sorry for my typos. the alternate day fasting book is by JAMES JOHNSON and i promise i do know how to spell ‘there’ haha.
    and i want to say i am sorry for how long my posts are… but i can’t cos i am not. i want to share with you all everything i am pondering. that is exactly why i started this thread.

you know, a stock cube and 5-1000000 veg including butter beans or whatever, some beans beans, i don’t mean green or fine, but those two, is fantastic and very low cal. and protein full etc. and filling. not had that blood sugar thing again yet.

v v happy bout that x

@whyamisoshy I feel your frustration and have to count calories on non FD as well. I aim for 1500 calories and try to exercise those days as well. Its still not perfect but going from super strict parameters to a free for all throws my body, brain and planning off too much. Starting a FD today because I did not behave this weekend and feel bloated.

@annabar yes yes yes yes yes, lol
    my brain works like that too

how much did i enjoy starting my fast… oh it was such a relief that today i though- oh i am just going to extend it i feel so much btter and i am only lying in bed with a migraine anyhow so really- eating 500 or 1800, what does it matter! x

i never did a two day long fast before. its a big adventure. i am totally fine!

I did my FD yesterday as got visitors today so I can relax for a day or two

I feel your pain! Well, maybe a little bit. I have been at this for 3 weeks and have lost and gained the same few pounds. So far I’m down 1 pound! That’s all. 1 pound!!!!! I decided I’m just not going to freak out over this. Sometimes weight goes on and off overnight! That’s just how it works for me, and I guess, a lot of us! Take a deep breath and relax. All your hard work will pay off. You will feel terrible in a few days/weeks/months if you don’t stick with it. OK?? Did that help??? I needed that pep talk for myself too!! All dieting is hard! Even 5/2 dieting.

Good luck!!! Peace!!! 😊

Viewing 50 posts - 251 through 300 (of 557 total)

You must be logged in to reply.