HELP! All ladies of a 'certain age'-please respond

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
HELP! All ladies of a 'certain age'-please respond

This topic contains 7,289 replies, has 660 voices, and was last updated by  Opal Shine 2 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 3,801 through 3,850 (of 7,330 total)

• Tiger, so sorry to hear things not going well. May I offer advice re your OH? He is a responsible adult and YOU ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE for him.

I know that’s hard because you can see that his medical conditions will shorten his life and hence your life together, but I assume he has medication for his high BP and cholesterol? If you do the cooking perhaps you can focus on researching to avoid foods with a detrimental effect on his conditions. I know reduced salt intake can benefit high BP but you can’t control what he chooses to put in his mouth at other times. In the same circumstances I would probably be nagging but we all know (at our rational moments) that it is counter-productive.

Life hands out rubbish at times. Do take care of yourself so you can take care of your loved ones!

Nicky xxx

Hi,

No, I didn’t leave, but got stuck behind on like page 67 for ages. Really late here. I’ll post more later. Congrats on the 3 lbs, Boo. A lot of you girls are doing great.

Tiger, I hope you feel better. Heck, I hope we all feel better!

xxP

Hi LOACA! I agree with Piper! Hope we are all feeling better despite the awful weather. Our planned walk has been called off and rescheduled for next Weekend. We’ve cleared out OH’s wardrobe and filled a charity bag so both feeling a sense of achievement! Have been very ” good” so far today to compensate for yesterday. Yogurt for breakfast then cheese salad for lunch plus 2 plums. Fast day tomorrow as today is bank holiday.WN

Hi LOACA’S

Sitting here on a fast day, with my green tea, waiting for the rain to stop and allow me to take my fair weather dog for a walk. At the moment it seems to be getting heavier rather than lighter. I know the garden needs it, but all day!

Hi Wilbersnanna,

We’ve all had moments of overindulgence, and I own to a few of those since I begun this WOL, but the good thing is that a fast day seems to sort it out. You’ve probably found this out yourself.

Hi Dottie,

Hitting the stone barrier. I did too, and I know you must be feeling totally validated. It’s a hard slog, but congratulations.

Hi Boo,

Nearly two stone, not bad, not bad at all. Keep going, and we’ll bring out the flags and cheer when you reach your next target.

Hi Tiger,

I agree with NickyF, you are not responsible for your hubby. You can lead a horse to water etc. etc. – not that I’m calling your husband a horse, but you get my drift. Still a saucepan over the head might also do the trick!

Hi Lizzypopbottle,

I envy you your problem. How to manage maintenance, but a very big and hearty congratulations.

Rain is definitely getting worse. Damn and blast (no offence but grrrrrrhhh).

Jackie T

Hi JackieT

Thank you for your kind words regarding my torturously slow weight loss.

I omitted to say yesterday that it is a shame that your sister decided she didn’t want to continue with the FD therefore you ‘lost’ your diet buddy BUT you have proved that you can do it for you and you alone!
    I’m doing it on ‘my own’ too; my husband started it initially for the potential health benefits but he was losing weight which he really doesn’t need, so he ditched it.

There is no-one else I know on it, so apart from coming on here it’s just me and the cat (except we don’t have a cat…..)

But we CAN do it Jackie because we have determination and importantly, we want to look and feel better about ourselves; think of your size 14 jeans and the day you ‘slink’ into them…… 🙂

It’s a cold miserable day here too; typical British Bank Holiday weather!
    So perfect for what we call ’getting snugged in’ which means getting the fire going and wearing warm snuggley clothes (must point that is me rather than my husband).

ONwards and Downwards!
    Booxx

Hi everybody *waves at screen*
    Mind if I join you?
    Please excuse my poor English, it is not my native language…
    I’m from the Netherlands.
    There seems to be no proper forum there that I can participate in…
    I am 60 years old, and I have been doing this diet last year from june till april this year.
    I have lost about 27 kilos (sorry, no clue how much that is in stones and lbs).
    By that time I thought I was “done”.
    I have gained about 8 kilos since…
    I am so sick and tired of myself, that I want to do some serious damage control and as fast as I can.
    I’ve started on my regime again a couple of days ago and fully intend to see it through until I’ve reached my goal again and work out how to maintain that weight!
    Maybe by doing 6:1 or maybe staying with 5:2, but allowing more calories on my “non fasting” days.
    I have figured out that my calorie intake should be around 1700, based on my height, gender, age, and exercise (or the lack of that).
    To speed up my current weightloss I consume about 1300-1400 calories on my non-fasting days.
    Today is my Fasting day and I have not been eating anything up till now and still not really hungry.
    My DH decided to join me on this journey, he doesn’t need to loose weight, but he wants to do it for health benifits.
    Anyway, here I am…

Hi Simonne and welcome, we have ladies worldwide including Australia and New Zealand,

I’m in awe of you, the conversion of 37kg is 5 stone 11 lbs! That’s amazing and well done for getting back on the wagon again. Have you kept an old item of clothing to remind you how much you have lost or pinned up on old photo? My weight loss is nothing compared to yours, a mere 8kg. I now maintain and still find it best to do 5:2 so I can have those treats when I want to. If you manage to read back, but there are so many posts now, I bought a bikini for the first time in over 15 tears for my holiday this year. I’ve not been seriously overweight but can easily pile of the pounds in a short time, 4 lbs in 12 days away! I had to catch up the posts when I returned from holiday, it took me all afternoon.

We also have another thread with 5:2 recipes on it:

https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-loaca-recipe-thread/#post-46567

As Boo says Onwards and Downwards and Sideways for those maintaining.

Ali x

Hi AliH61, thank you for the warm welcome!
    I haven’t lost thar much, just 27 kilos.
    I’ll have to find a good conversion table…
    Yes, I did keep some of my “fat” items, I seem not to be able to get rid of my warm winter sweaters, they’re sooo comfortable.
    I love your story about your new bikini! 🙂
    I’ll do some seriuos reading in this thread, all 77 pages.
    Thanks for the recipe thread, I had no idea what LOACA recipes were… 🙂
    I’ll go check it out!

Hi Simonne

I’d like to second AliH in welcoming you to this thread.

And 27kg’s is still a huge weight loss – over 4stones – that is a really fantastic achievement.
    Did you stop following the FD altogether in April of this year? It is a shame that you have gained some weight again but it’s nothing that you can’t sort out ‘fairly’ easily.

From quite a few LOACA’s who have posted on here; there really seems to be very few, if any, who can get away with doing 6:1. It seems as if most folk decide they will still do 5:2 but as AliH says, have more of the things they like to eat on the other 5 days.
    If you think about it; in maintaining that way you still get the maximum ‘potential’ health benefits of the 5:2.

Which part of the Netherlands do you come from? We used to have a LOACA who was a Brit but lived in Holland post on here; but she hasn’t been around for a while….

Booxx

Hi JackieT, Precious Boo, AliH61 and all LOACA

JackieT: Thanks for the congrats. I’m grateful for the support offered on this thread. I only set out to lose around 10lb and I’ve been lucky to lose that pretty quickly. I started 4:3 and began posting here about 8 weeks ago and had a 2 week break in the middle of that. However, I embarked on the IF routine as much for the health benefits as any weight loss that happened as well. My late mother, (although strong as an ox!) had an under-active thyroid, colostomy bag (not cancer), type 2 diabetes, Alzheimer’s, raised bp and high cholesterol by the time she died about 18 months ago. Those are the age related health problems I’m hoping to avoid although my doctor has put me on a low dose of thyroxine already. So, after a hungry blip, I’m back on the rails today!

AliH61: I too put on the lost pounds pretty quickly during my 2 week break. 3lb went on as a result of many enjoyable glasses of wine and several restaurant meals. It has come off again now that I’m back on the wagon!

Precious Boo (last but definitely not least, Boo! Thanks for this thread supporting all the LOACA) I predict that 6:1 isn’t for me either. My son pointed out that the health benefits I want are offered by 5:2 and not by fasting any less regularly. Then, up came your post saying much the same…

Lizzypb

Thanks Boo, I’ll keep that in mind.
    We live near our national airport, but we are in the process of selling our house.
    After that, we want to go and live in our motorhome for as long as we’re fit and healthy.
    Fullfilling a life long dream, travelling around and being free as a bird.

Wow Simonne

That sounds absolutely wonderful; unless you believe in reincarnation – this is your one shot at life – so enjoy it as much as you are able.

Booxx

Hi Tiger

You are so right when you say that you suspect most of us have ‘stuff’ to deal with – I don’t think you used those exact words but you get the gist. Some people feel comfortable sharing that kind of information on a forum like this and others simply need someone to tell, because let’s face it, issues like that can seriously derail any attempts at ‘following a diet‘.
    Others of us however have serious stuff going on in our lives but don’t mention it on here; with me, it‘s precisely because coming on here DISTRACTS me from the issues that cause me considerable concern.

I have learned in life never to make assumptions about everything being ‘rosy’ in other people’s lives because you just don’t know what they might have going on.

These concerns, can in fact, make following any kind of eating regime seem trivial in the extreme. What happened to your hubby following the FD? Has he jumped off the wagon already? I was so impressed he had joined you in such a short time.

Regarding his health; I would have to agree with NickyF that – at the end of the day, it is – his responsibility. He is a grown man and if he won’t curb whatever life style choices are contributing to his health issues then he is actually adding to your list of worries.

The ironic thing is, of course, that this forum is heaving with people who have had huge improvements in the very health issues you have mentioned and it is only for 2 days a week.

What other ‘diet‘ can you say that about? None.

Try really hard not to let this hiccup derail you from the FD; you have had such a good start and were already feeling better and more positive.

Will tackle your other posts a bit later.
    Sending you my good wishes in the meantime.
    Booxx

Simonne

Most of the recipes are all low calorie so perfect for fasting days or FD as we call them here. Just remember to get the most from a FD think of eating plants and protein and not too many carbohydrate – make them slow release if possible (low GI). But sounds like with a net loss of 27 kilos you have all that sorted. I had stuffed mushrooms the other night, I didn’t have any ricotta cheese and had only had porridge for the morning so I stuffed mine with a little soft goats cheese, ham and red onion, lovely.
    Ali x

Hello ‘ladies of a certain age’
    I am glad you are having success with 5:2. Yes, this is a friendly forum. I have dieted before and 5:2 is my new eating plan. I really like it. I am starting the 2nd year. I find weighing weekly is best for me not daily because the jogs in numbers (up especially) tend to depress me. I really wish to avoid that. I have a problem with a waist that is still too big. I was a pear shape, now an upside down pear. I am otherwise happy with my body. I do not drink alcohol, but have a sweet tooth and wonder if too many sweets could be the problem with waist fat. Since I have missed maybe only one day of fasting in this period 12 mo. obviously I can cut down on the sweets during the five. I have not lost any lbs for 4 mo. Not depressed about that because I am delighted to be in smaller clothes. …,Pea Jay

Hi Pea Jay

I’m sorry that I didn’t respond to you the other day when you posted on here….so I am so pleased you persevered and came back on.
    So let me put that right and Welcome you to this thread.

Like me you have been on the FD for a year or so and you have lost 24lbs; do you want to lose more or is it just that you would like your waist to reduce a bit more? Who wouldn’t I say?

I typed out a large part of an article about a book called Wheat Belly; I will go back and re-post it for you to see if it will help with your quest of a smaller waist.

Booxx

Hi Pea Jay
    As you can see, I have just copied it as I posted it; so bear with my comments.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

WHEAT BELLY – by William Davis MD.

I have been wanting to tell you about this article I read ages ago but have never found the time! There is nothing on the telly tonight; so I thought I would eventually get on with it.

I did state at the time; this may be really old hat to you LOACA’s who are more clued up on carbohydrates etc but I have assiduously ignored all talk/suggestions of giving up bread/pasta/rice etc because frankly, I don’t want to! To ram that point home; we just recently bought ourselves a break maker!

However, reading this article has made me think whether I might try an experiment for a few weeks/months……Anyways see what you think…..
    I’m not going to type it out in it’s entirety; just the salient bits that might arrest your interest.

Wheat Belly: Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight and Find your path back to Health by William Davis MD (published by Harper Collins June 2014)

‘TWO SLICES OF BREAD ARE AS BAD FOR OUR BLOOD SUGAR AS EATING A MARS BAR….’

(Now that is the highlighted comment that made me sit up and read on)

‘Can’t face baring your midriff on the beach this summer? Try this ultra-fast diet devised by a top cardiologist that targets your tum – just by cutting out wheat…..’

Put simply; it’s the fastest bikini diet ever. And unlike detoxes or faddy eating plans; this diet is good for you too. Devised by cardiologist Dr William Davis; it kickstarts rapid weight loss – up to a pound per day with a total loss of up to 10lbs in 2 weeks.

Better still the 2 week Tummy Shrinking Diet (Daily Mail 31.05.14) is specifically targeted to attack your tummy fat, swiftly slimming your waist in record time.

Easy to stick to, without any boring calorie counting or puritanical portion control, it works by acting on the hormone insulin. Insulin doesn’t just cause you to pile on weight around your middle, it also increases your appetite, at the same time as your spare tire.

By eliminating just one key element from your daily eating habits you can stop piling on the pounds, reduce cravings and boost your energy.
    Not only this but your health will rapidly improve too, cutting your risk of breast cancer, arthritis, diabetes, dementia, heart disease and signs of premature ageing.
    All this whilst still enjoying red wine (hoorahhhhhh!).

And that key ingredient you need to cut out? It’s not fat. It’s not even sugar….it’s wheat – and here’s why eliminating it can get you back into your bikini.

(I’m going to paraphrase this now or I’ll be here all night!)

Back in the 50’s and 60’s our grandmothers didn’t join gyms or juice entire vegetable patches for breakfast; yet they were still noticeably skinnier than we are today, with smaller waists and flatter tummies.
    So what changed?

According to Dr Davis: it is down to a fateful shift in ‘official’ nutritional advice. This ’advice’ moved away from the idea of ’meat and two veg’ to a diet low in animal fats and high in supposedly heart healthy wholegrains.
    Of those wholegrains; wheat is the one we consume the most. Today it accounts for 20% of the calories consumed across the world.

But as our consumption of wheat has increased; so too have our waistlines. But the wheat we consume today bears no resemblance to the wheat of the past. In order to keep up with world demand; for the past 50 years it has been cross-bred and genetically manipulated to create a fast growing, high yield crop that is resistant to drought and disease.

Modern day wheat has been turned into what Dr Davis calls a super-carbohydrate – this means that it is turned into blood sugar by your body faster than almost any other food, making it wildly addictive and triggering spikes of insulin, the hormone that converts excess blood sugar into fat, stored primarily around your stomach…….

In fact few foods rate higher on the Glycaemic Index or GI – the nutritional measure of how much specific foods raise blood sugar levels – than those made from wheat.
    This is not just white bread from the supermarket but ‘healthy’ wholemeal bread too!

……what you might not realise that is that while plain table sugar has a GI of 59, wholemeal bread is much worse at 72 (!). Which means that, shockingly two slices of wholemeal bread will send your blood sugar levels soaring higher than a MARS BAR! Which has a GI of 68!

He agrees that wholemeal versions of bread/pasta/rice are still better than the ‘white’ denuded versions however, but says that ‘doesn’t mean that lots of the “less bad” things is good for you’.

………Dr Davis describes it as ‘the formula for creating a nation of fat people…..‘

He suggests that folk fill the gap in their diets with vegetables, nuts, meats, eggs, avocados, olives, cheese etc – that is real food that doesn’t come with a label – then not only will you not develop a dietary deficiency but you will enjoy a flatter stomach, weight loss, more energy, better sleep (?!) and all round better health!

I have read posts on here alluding to what and how our grandmothers etc prepared meals and I’ve noticed insulin mentioned a great deal on other threads; so I fully accept that this is not BREAKING NEWS.

However with me, it was the Mars Bar example which brought me up sharply; I eat two slices of wholemeal bread with filling on top, pretty much every day for lunch because I really enjoy it……

Makes you think doesn’t it?
    Boobooxx

Let us know what you think Pea Jay.
    Booxx

Hi DottieD

You have gone through a stone barrier? Then you need to be awarded the……

MAGICAL MILESTONE MARKER AWARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is awarded for getting down into lower digit of stones!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

……And for working in a TEA SHOP with lots of delicious mouth-watering goodies all around and NOT EATING THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well done Dottie!

Now in the best tradition of THE LOACA THREAD we now require an acceptance speech! (ones that thank their dog’s are funny!)

Booxx

I can’t believe how bad bread is for you! I eat about 4-5 slices a day and thought it was ok because it was wholemeal!!!! No wonder my weight has crept up – thank god I don’t like Mars bars as well or I wouldn’t fit through the door.

I see I need to change my bread habit and get rid of this tummy for good!

Hi LOACAs, both new and old.
    I have been silent for a while as I have had a lot of people staying and I have sadly watched the fast days evaporate as I had people to cook for.
    My loss since 1 July is still about 6kg. Simonne, you have done wonders. Precious BooBoo- good news about the lb loss. Sorry to hear it hasn’ t been plain sailing, Femme and Tiger. I am back on the FD and hoping to lose 1 kg before the end of August.

I am enjoying my fitbit which I bought after reading some of your recommendations. The step counter seems accurate, but the step size is inaccurate and overestimates the distance walked. Do any of you fitbit users know how to adjust the step measure.
    I’d be really grateful to know.

My other query is about exercise. This week I have walked about 30km and often climbing up 300m in altitude(my friends are walkers). Have any of you LOACA exercised a lot while on the FD? I have found that I have lost no weight at all after these walks? Does anyone have an explanation? I have not been over-eating in spite of not fasting.

There have probably been threads about fasting and exercising. I certainly feel good after these 3 long walks.

It’s good to be back on the FD deck.

All for tonight
    KiwiWiwi

Nicky, Piper, Boo…thank you. That’s all. I’m sorry I ‘lost it’ but it was going to go somewhere…I figured going to people who don’t know me or don’t really ‘care’ was ok. I got it wrong. Sorry.

My husband is my world, my life. I adore him and as I have in the past – when he lost 4 stone – will get him on track. I always do, but ladies, I’m sorry…I used this place to ‘let go.’

Your thoughtfulness and kindness has got me going again…

So back to basics. (You’re all fab by the way!)

Loads and loads of thanks…and to think I’ve only been a newbie here. This thread does NOT need peeps like me freaking out…last time, I promise.

You ladies of a certain age rock!! Can I joing your club again, please?

Tiger
    x x x x x

Hi Tangatawiwi

I was always told by a previous fitness instructor that sometimes the results of exercise can take up to a week to show on the scales. But also remember muscle weighs more than fat, you need to regularly measure yourself.

Ali x

Sorry Jackie T…missed you out…doh…thanks for your words.

So a quick and simple alternative to french dressing: when you get to almost the end of your low cal mayo bottle/jar add, a good dollop of mustard, a few dried herbs, a wallop of black pepper – and a good splosh of white wine vinegar… Put lid on and shake for all you are worth…I love it. works like a dream on salmon, tuna or salad. And minimal calories…

Also home made wedgies: a medium potato, sprinkled liberally with home crushed black pepper, salt and paprika and then a small drizzle of olive oil mixed up and baked in top oven gas 9 for about 35 mins…yummy and less cals than chips or baked pot! yay

Bonjour from Burgundy – I waved goodbye to my grandson Max (2) this morning, and I have to say with some relief. I’m used to a quiet granddaughter and baby girl – Max is just a whirling dervish; but he is so loving. I hadn’t seem him since the beginning of the year (we do skype often) and he flung himself at me showering me with hugs and kisses. I’m going to stay with them at the beginning of November – you never know he may have calmed down by then!!

Like KiwiWiwi who had guests staying too, the FD flew out of the window – I daren’t weigh myself yet. The last week has been full of picnics, lunches in the sunshine, barbecues and lots of ice creams. I have to say that I have also eaten many slices of baguettes and have noticed a bloated feeling – I guess this is a bit of ‘wheat belly’.

Boo – I saw your mention of HRT; you may recall that I was advised by my english GP to wean myself of HRT when I moved to France in 2011; this I did and within weeks symptoms re-appeared. I went to see a gynaecologist here who when she heard that I had come off HRT exclaimed ‘all french women take HRT’ and put me straight back on it. Within weeks I was back to ‘normal’ – I find that HRT helps me sleep (not sure why/how), my skin (everywhere) is healthy (no dry areas), my hair is shiny and in excellent condition, I no longer wake with aching joints (HRT is known to help combat osteoporosis) and I have a history of depression and find that the low dose of HRT I take keeps me ‘balanced’. If there is no family history to contraindicate taking HRT I would definitely recommend it.

Mention was also made by one of the lovely LOACA about mums in the 1950’s – I remember very well the ‘chores’ my mum had to do before leaving each morning to do a full day’s teaching. I used to help her with the washing and loved using the mangle, we had no fridge and food was kept in the dark depths of our cellar leading to many trips up and down the stairs, there was no central heating but a warm stove – this was fuelled by many buckets of coal brought in from the shed. Cleaning the lino floors was done on ‘hands-and-knees’ with lots of elbow grease – the list is endless; no wonder mums were so much slimmer back then.

It’s nice to be back and I look forward to hearing from everyone.

Femme x

WOW, I am just amazed at having won such a prestigious award…

MAGICAL MILESTONE MARKER AWARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I feel I should thank all those lovely Ladies and Gentleman who buy all of the irresistible cakes in our tearoom and prevent me from eating the left overs!! My wonderful role model – my Dottie Dog. It is my aim to be just like her… weigh 70kg, be able to swing my hips and have the ability to make men stop in the street and admire her. And to all of you lovely LOACA who inspire me to continue with the FAST diet, but also to believe I can loose this weight and maybe wear a bikini again. THANK YOU ALL xx

Dear LOACA

There are some amazing weight losses showing up here, including PBB – way to go girls!!

Tiger – your potato wedge recipe is also a favourite of mine – yummy!!

PBB, I suggest you reconsider the HRT route, maybe discuss it with a different doctor. I initially went to my GP with a long list of “odd” symptoms. None of which were life threatening (apart from maybe the REALLY bad mood swings!) but which were affecting my day to day life. Cant be specific as to what they all were now, it was 6+ years ago, but mood swings/depression and terrible sleep patterns were up at the top, general aches and pains, migraine got worse and I think bloating/water retention. As I was only in my early 40s I didn’t suspect menopause. GP spotted it straight away, did blood tests and then told me I’d been through the “menopause” and out the other side with hormone levels to prove it. I have HRT patches. Certainly evened things out for me (hot flushes were never my problem, although I overheated at night). HRT was also recommended because of my age and possible heart and bone issues I believe. Anyway it helped. Sleep issues continue, but not related to this, and I now take Amitryptaline (sp??) which makes them all go away…

Change in my routines has upset my fast days this week, but I will be back on the wagon in the next couple of days. I cant fall by the wayside now I have an award under my belt.

Have a great day ladies DDX

PreciousBooBoo.
    How nice to get your response to my post. I appreciate the info on wheat. Not sure if that fits my eating habits. I do not need to have bread or pasta daily although I don’t object much when I Get STICKS and TWIGS in the bread. It is good to consider. Bringing up the Mars bar does bring me back to sweet desserts that are not purely fresh fruit. Doing a diary of my eating would help me sort it out, particularly the five. Such selective memory….when it comes to food.

Yes it is my waist measurement I want smaller. I am fine with weight. I am doing 5:2 for health bennies long term. I didn’t want to hardly consider 5 eating, but….. Good health to each of you LOACA and Gents.

Pea Jay

Hi Tiger,

I’d be honoured if you thought of me as a friend. Unfortunately, I seem to have blotted my copy book big time and my presence here is unwelcome.

You sound like one hell of a nice lady. And you have every right to be peed off and are entitled to a rant. I hope you and your other half can sort things out. Men! What are they like!

I do post elsewhere so if you’d like to catch up with me via Recent Posts or Active Topics, I’d be happy to share your kedgeree, garlic ciabatta etc. Not the red, though. When I gave up the ciggies yonks ago alcohol started to taste nasty and has done ever since. 🙁

Hi DottieD

What a lovely acceptance speech! I always laugh at the ones who thank their dogs; it just tickles me and I imagine, everyone else.
    I like the bit too about turning men’s heads in the street!

It’s just a bit of fun Dottie but it does help us to celebrate the small and not so small, achievements along the way.
    And let’s face it; how many years ago now is it that your scales started with a …….? (fill in STONE WEIGHT)

Well done you!
    Booxx

Hi again Dottie

Thank you for the information regarding HRT; it would seem that my G.P could be more than wrong about how much some HRT might help me.

They can be so dimissive of someone’s health and it really makes me mad and then I vow never to return because it is such a waste of my time.

Booxx

Hi versy2010 and Welcome to this thread

Glad you found the article helpful. You would have a real yardstick if you suddenly cut out the bread alone and see what results you get for starters.
    Please let us know if you do; it’s all information for the rest of us.

Booxx

Hi Femme

How nice to have you back on here. I thought you might be too busy enjoying your visitors and now you need a rest! Max sounds like a little sweetie.
    It sounds as if you have had a great break from the FD; why not indeed Femme? This was like a holiday for you; it would have been madness to even think of trying to fast.
    I don’t blame you for not getting weighed yet though. If you get weighed after at least a couple of fasts; you might see very little increase at all.

It is also very interesting to hear about your experience of HRT; doctors who ‘know best’ again……..
    How fortuitous for you that you now reside in Francais and they are more knowledgeable about the benefits of HRT. It’s truly scary the way they can determine the kind of life you lead and the very quality of that life.

And you too can attest to reaping more benefits than just help with hot flashes.

I vaguely remember my mother using a mangle to drain the water from the washing; it must have been a big thing for her when she got a twin tub.
    I also remember a van would visit the street once a week on a Friday and it would sell vegetables and other grocery products. There must have been other shops in the locale but this van obviously came to the door. I would get a chocolate bar as a treat. That was it for the week; one small chocolate bar. It was a huge treat and much looked forward to!
    I was reminded of this the other day; my husband and I were approaching the local supermarket and two youngish kids were coming out of it on their own (I would guess them being around 10-12yrs). They each had a carrier bag and one was getting her purchases out to start to consume them; it was a large bar of chocolate and a sizeable bottle of some sort of fizzy pop…..
    This was probably not a special treat; this was probably just an every day occurrence…..No wonder child obesity is on the increase.

Booxx

Hi Tanga

I think it’s ditto to what I said to Femme; how could you possibly even contemplate fasting if you have house guests? It would be a nightmare and I think, only the seriously stringent could do it.

Regarding your exercise query; it’s a pity JIP! is still not back on here yet. She might have been able to help with that but I agree with AliH’s advice. You will be toning your muscles up with all the walking and muscle is more dense and therefore leaner than fat.
    This would be where measuring yourself might have shown you some difference. Did you measure all over before you started the FD?
    I was too much of a wuss; couldn’t bear to face the ugly reality.

Climb back up on the wagon; there’s always room for one more!
    ONwards and Downwards!
    Booxx

Good morning to you all.
    Today will be a sunny day, at least, that is what we were promised. 🙂
    There seems to be a lot going on in your lives, I wish for you, that things will work out.

Today is an ecxiting day for me.
    I am going to have an hypnotic gastric band fitted.
    I have been struggling with my weight for all my adult live, after the children were born.
    I yoyo from 90 kilos to 60 and back.
    Last year I developed diabetes, so yoy-ing is really bad for me.
    I actually considered having a gastric bypass, but I didn’t qualify yet.
    Since I have lost 27 kilos, but 8 kilos have mysteriously found their way back…
    I am really fed up with this and decided to take another course.
    I did a lot of research and found out about this hypnosis thing.
    In the UK and America this is done on a fairly regular basis, but in the Netherlands it is not well-known.
    I am ecxited and nervous at the same time.
    Please cross your fingers for me?
    Have a nice day!

Do you mind if I join you too? I was on the fast diet a few months ago, was doing well but got distracted …..that’s what always happens!!! I get caught up in the lives of my kids, my dad…try to solve their dilemas and totally forget my own issues, ending up stressed and even heavier.

It’s a new day, the first day of the rest of my life and I am taking myself in hand. I have read through bits of this forum, took stock of the article about ‘wheat belly’ (thanks Precious Boo Boo) and how to eat protein and vegetables on a fast day and to do short bursts of exercise. I have the fast books on kindle so no more excuses. I am starting with my first fast day…..having Greek yoghurt, blueberries for breakfast; lots of herbal teas during the day and dinner at 6.

I don’t have any health issues but that’s probably down to good genes. I’m tall, don’t look it but am nearly 18st and my BMI is way too high. I hope to get to know you all and to give as well as receive support.

Good morning Simonne

Looks like today will be a very sunny day for you! I wish you every success with your hypnotic gastric band (HGB). Knowledge is a very powerful thing and having done all that research, if you think a HGB will help you then go for it. Keep posting so we can support you on your weight loss journey.

Ali x

Carragh welcome to the LOACA thread,

If you intend to read the whole thread you’d better choose a thoroughly miserable day, make a thermos of tea/coffee and get really comfortable….It could take a while. When I was off the thread for 2 weeks it took me several hours to catch up!

Sounds like you know the principles of 5:2, don’t forget there are plenty of websites with recipes on – I like 52recipes.co.uk. We also have another thread with tried and tested recipes on, link at the end. I plan my meals for Fast Days, FD, in advance so I don’t spend too much time thinking of food when fasting. I also drink fizzy water on FDs to keep me feeling full. Keep posting so we can support you.

https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-loaca-recipe-thread

Ali x

Hi Boo! Yes I definitely need to cut out the bread and I will hack off the plug from my bread machine. I think the time has come to go back to ryevita (which isn’t bad really).

Since Monday I have lost 3.8 lbs – don’t care if it’s water, blood, sweat or tears I’m a happy bunny. I have decided to go for the 16 hr fast. I have a sachet of porridge at 10.30 pm the night before my fast then I eat nothing until 6.30pm the following day (soup) then more porridge at 10.30pm. It will work for me I think. My hubby will struggle though so I’ve got loads of jobs lined up for him on Friday lol xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi BooBoo
    Thanks for the welcome back. Thanks too, BooBoo and Ali for input about sport. I just want to exercise as I am feeling so good.
    Welcome Carragh. I really like the observation that today is the first day of the rest of your life. The chance to do something and not get weighed down by those guilt feelings. What I really like in this forum is that the mutual support and sharing of very good ideas, makes us a strong team. I too endorse drinking fizzy water on fast days as Ali does. It’s very pleasant and I add just a hint of lemon juice.
    Simonne, I live in the south of France about 100 km north of Avignon, and no chance of weight watchers’ groups, due to my isolation ( 60 km from the nearest city). This forum allows me to learn about these very important issues, and share what I know now, and this is great as English is my first language.
    It’s a beautiful late summer’s day here, about 25° C. The French call this the arrière saison (= the back of summer)
    I did two fast days back to back and today I bought fresh market vegetables which tasted so lovely. One thing I observe is that since we embarked on this fast diet quest and eat less, I buy slightly better quality food and every mouthful is a pleasure, on up days as well as down days.
    It’s interesting how you organize your fast, Versy2010. Great for the 3.8lb loss.
    I am still at 6.5kg loss and I looked up and found this is a stone.
    A bientôt

KiwiWiwi

Hi KiwiWiwi. I always remember seeing one of Dr Michael Moseley’s documentaries where he had 2 groups of army cadets. One group had chicken, veg and rice for lunch and the other group had exactly the same but it was all whizzed up into a soup. The soup group stayed much fuller for longer and it really does work. So on a fast day, rather than have chicken and veg I would just make chicken soup.

I had my first fast day on Monday – had homemade lentil soup and couldn’t finish the bowl. There must be something in it!

It’s been lovely and sunny here in Scotland today too but only 16 oC. Exercise for me today has been a step class, walking the dogs and might do some canoeing after tea (my new toy). V xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello Carragh

I’m pleased to see that AliH has already welcomed you to this thread.

I really hope your first day of fasting in a while has been a breeze as they say. You’ve done it before, so I presume, you know it works.
    How did you do last time? Were you on it long before you got derailed by ‘life’?
    We have just been talking about how there will probably be very few of us who don’t have some sort of upsetting issue playing in the background of our lives.
    I mean, it comes with the territory really doesn’t it?

Anyways, good for you for climbing back onto the wagon and you are more than welcome to come on here as often as you like just to chat if it will keep you motivated this time around.

ONwards and Downwards!
    Booxx

Wow versy2010

A Canoe? You sound very fit and active. Where do you go canoeing?
    That should use up some calories!

Booxx

Hello All Ladies Of A Certain Age!

This probably just applies to the newbies but would you consider putting some details in your profile please? I value my anonymity on here but you won’t compromise yours by telling us which country you live in or which area of Britain.
    JIP! suggested it a while ago and it is a good way to be able to place who you are communicating with and get to know something about the person.

I’m finding fasting really hard going at the moment; the days are seeming interminable to get through – is anyone else finding this or is it just me?

Booxx

Hi Kiwi

I didn’t realise you were another lucky articile living in Francais? You don’t have it in your profile but I thought, what with your username…..that you hailed from New Zealand.
    Am I right in thinking that?

Booxx

P.S Just remembering you have just been to Rome wasn’t it? To see your new grand-bambino born? Lordy you do get around!

Hi again Kiwi!

You have just informed us that you have now lost 6.5kg and worked out that that is an imperial STONE!

So without further ado: I have great pleasure in presenting you with the

!!!!!!!!!!MAGICAL MILESTONE MARKER AWARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations on losing your FIRST STONE! The first stone is always the most important. Now for the remainder!

(I usually only award them to folk who count in kilo’s when they go down another ten but that seems like a really long haul and since it’s you…..)

Well Done Kiwi!
    Now in the best traditions of THE LOACA THREAD we would like you to give us an acceptance speech! Make it as silly as you like – it’s just a bit of fun to celebrate the important milestones along the fast diet journey!

ONwards and Downwards!
    Booxx

Hi again versy2010

I forgot to congratulate you for losing 3.8lbs already! Wow that’s a hell of a start!
    Please think about keeping a food diary (of all week/every week – if that is not too much of an imposition) and then we can all hear about what you ate to help you lose your weight…I’m thinking of the Wheat Belly concept in particular.

WEIGH TO GO!
    Booxx

Hi Simonne

I had my fingers and toes crossed for you all day and I hope everything went Tickety Boo with your hypnotic gastric band today.
    Let us know how you ‘feel’ about it now you have it installed! The mind is a very powerful thing indeed.

Well done you for having such an open mind.

Booxx

Thank you Boo! My diary isn’t really very interesting honest! I don’t have breakfast, I usually have something like ryevita and cottage cheese for lunch or poached egg on toast and low fat curries etc for tea. Getting into wholewheat pasta, bulgar wheat and couscous at the moment. God I sound like someone who I would want to throw stones at – I’m not an angel – I would MUCH prefer indian takeaways with 3 hundred weight of garlic nan and copious amounts of lovely wine. Unfortunately, that is what turned me into a fat heifer.

Thanks about the weight loss – I surprised myself! I am the classic 5 days a week my body is a temple, the other two I am an amusement park. If only I could be good on Fridays and Saturdays and go without huge roast dinners on Sundays. Hence my fast days are going to be Fri and Sun this week. I will definitely be an amusement park on Saturday though – got to live!!!!!!

By the way, I tried to upload more details on my profile but I can’t see where to put where I am from etc. Any clues for a computer luddite like myself?

V xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Kiwi you absolute lucky sod!! Well done on such a GREAT achievement – I really hope I can do the same. This will spur me on. You have shown great strength and determination. WELL DONE YOU!!!

Keep going girl – Julia Roberts watch out.

Boo – I forgot to say I go canoeing on a local canal and dam. We recently went on holiday and hired a canoe for a short time. It was great! I used to do it a fair bit at school and I loved it. Hubby bought me it to shut me up.

Hi Pea Jay

Boo posted the great article on Wheat Belly. Have you read David Gillespie’s book on Sugar? Or else look on the internet under adverse impacts of sugar. It was illuminating to me, as it identified just how bad sugar is in any form and in any food. Sugar and wheat working together have conspired to keep extra fat on my stomach.

What shifted my recent stomach fat was eliminating all processed foods from my food intake for a while. Have you thought of doing a short trial (2-4 weeks) of absolutely no sweets, puddings, pastries, or cakes or chocolates on any day, and see if it makes a difference to your stomach?

All the best. Bay 🙂

Viewing 50 posts - 3,801 through 3,850 (of 7,330 total)

You must be logged in to reply.