HELP! All ladies of a 'certain age'-please respond

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
HELP! All ladies of a 'certain age'-please respond

This topic contains 7,289 replies, has 660 voices, and was last updated by  Opal Shine 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 6,701 through 6,750 (of 7,330 total)

• Hi Y’all!
    Oh my, all this hormone talk! So far so good with me and peri-m symptoms…weight gain has been the only true problem…the rest is mostly vanity and wanting to stay young forever, but I’m getting over it.
    Today I’m fasting and working around the house. My energy and focus are excellent, and I’m saving my shake calories for 2pm-6pm…is starts in a few minutes I see.
    I went a little overboard yesterday so I’m glad to see me hunger is low today.
    So I love reading the different words used in the UK, Australia and NZ and I’m just gonna start asking.
    What is a bacon buttie?
    Oh, hubby says he is getting irritable and we need to do our shake NOW. Lol. I promised I would make a big batch of protein shake at 2pm bc he is using up lots of energy vacuuming house! Gotta run, hugs to everyone! Shine on!

Thanks everyone for the info on HRT. I went through menopause feeling less than great. Moody, some mild hot flashes, easily irritated, things like that. I just assumed it was all normal although annoying and frustrating at times. I could have been helped back then. Too late now. My poor hubby and kids had to bear the brunt of my mood swings and irritations.

We’ve had beautiful days lately and I’ve spent a lot of time outdoors working in the tiny garden that we have this year. Just 7 tomato plants and 6 jalapeno plants. But at least it’s something. Took a nice long walk with hubby and the dog this morning before church. At church I felt a little sad. In the past my granddaughter, Caroline, would sit next to me and sing her little heart out. She’s not there now and I really missed her this morning. Keeping busy in the yard and the house keeps my mind off missing them and keeps me on track on my eating.

SlimnHealthy, cheers to Elliot for putting her head in the water!! She’ll be swimming before you know it. And I’ll definitely say hi to Columbus as I pass through on my way to Dayton. Have you been there lately? It’s most likely changed quite a bit since you’ve been there. Not looking forward to the long drive but definitely looking forward to seeing the granddaughters again.

Have a lovely week everyone.

Patty

Hi again everyone,
    Am I the only one crazy enough to fast on a Sunday, lol. It is harder….everything in my body says weekends are made for brunch! So I’m definitely using this forum to get my mind off of the slowly passing time. I looked at my clock today thinking it was heading towards 5pm and it was just 1pm! No kidding! Usually Sundays pass so quickly, I highly recommend a fast if you want your Sundays to feel slow. Lol!

A www Patty, I can imagine it would feel sad to have your little Caroline singing next to you for some time and then she’s not there. I never miss adults the way I miss children…they fill up so much space and our hearts. ❀️
    So We go back to Columbus every summer to visit grandma, siblings and cousins….we will be going the last week of July. Columbus changes every year. The only city changing faster is here in Austin. Lol. My husband is actually from a small town near the Pennsylvania border. We may get there too.

Well, I guess I’ll get back to my friend’s book… She might quiz me. And it will def take my mind off eating.
    Shine on!

Btw
    One of the reasons I was adamant about sticking to the Sunday fast is because I’m meeting with a colleague tomorrow to do some work at a French cafe. Owner is straight from Paris and her food is divine. I used to live in Paris and I can be quite picky about my baguettes….I know that isn’t much when you live so close my Brit friends…but here, in Texas, to get a real Parisian tasting….well, I won’t go on in case your reading this and fasting…but let’s just say, I’m putting in my dues today cuz “mamma gonna have some calories tomorrow”.

Hi Slimnhealthy. A ‘bacon buttie’ is a bacon sandwich, standard trucker fare in the UK and often sold in traditional transport cafes. The authentic version is in white sliced bread and dripping with fat! Very good in winter. Should be washed down with a mug of strong tea.

Yes, I find I’m rushing to google translate sometimes!

Thnx! Apricot! Can’t wait to ask for a BLTB here! Bacon lettuce n tomato buttie! Lol

Hello ladies!
    I’m new to this thread, but I wanted to share my story with you. Some stats about me; I’m 5′ 7″, aged 50, and use HRT patches . Starting weight was 11st 3lbs.
    Two & a half years ago, I had a full hysterectomy at the age of 48. I’ve always been quite slim, but had been gaining pounds pre my op, not sure why. I certainly had an increased appetite, I ate more, but I blamed that on my Mirena coil. (No idea if that was the cause, really)
    Since my op, the weight has just piled on, none of my clothes fitted, & I was really unhappy. After bursting out of my outfits, I miserably & reluctantly had to buy new clothes. I tried more exercise than usual, it made zero difference. I tried to reduce my eating, but I only lasted a few days, then fell off the wagon.
    Soooooooo, eventually, on 7 March this year, I bought the 5:2 book, read it twice, and started fasting. I set myself a challenge: to do the 5:2 for 10 weeks. I did NOT set myself a target weight, because I didn’t want to feel a failure if I missed it. I think ANY weight loss is a success.
    Well ladies, I lost 10lbs in 10 weeks, & I am so, so happy. At last, a diet I can do, a diet that works , AND health benefits, too!
    Sooooooo, I have signed myself up for a further 10 weeks! I’m now at week 13, total weight loss now 12 and half pounds.
    As the weeks go by, I find the fasting gets easier. I know now how to plan a fast day so that there’s the right level of company, work, “me” time, food, & distractions, to get me to bed without cracking.

I’m sharing on here because I’ve told only a couple of people, and I hope it might encourage others.

So gals, let’s keep on, keeping on!!!!!

Hi y’all,
    Welcome Lorriaine. So glad 5:2 is working for you and that you figured out how to structure your day. Good luck to your continuation!
    I woke up after a great fasting day another half pound down! Yay! I’m guessing I’ll slow down now for a week so I’m gonna resist getting on the scale for a while.
    You all must have a lot more patience waiting for stones to drop since they are larger units. I barely have the patience for half pounds!
    French cafe here I come!

Hi all
    Lorraine, that’s really good to hear about your steady weight loss. Almost a stone is wonderful. I know when I was a stone lighter than I am now I felt so much better but I’m having diffs getting that structure into my life. I have lost 4 lb though in a few weeks but I’ve taken a rather haphazard approach at times. I think that reflects life for me at the moment and I’m going to be slowing down in 3 weeks for my holidays so that might help. Meantime, I’ll try and invest a little time in planning meals and fast days rather than being a bit random. That’s what seems to work from what I’ve read anyway.
    So, with the 4lbs lost I’ve 2st 10lb to go. I’m embracing the challenge!! : )
    BFN
    Laidir

Hello everyone, I am having a super busy week, just at this time when there are new lovely people to get to know! Oh well, I will keep reading posts and sit down and chat when I finally get some time to my self!

Good 5:2ing all of you!

Hi Speedy,
    No that doesn’t sound crazy but I would still go see and get those bloods checked.
    I had my mum die, fella’s mum die, my mum die a week later, 6mths later my fella died, then 6mths after that his dad died. Ended up dealing with 7 solicitor from all the various Estate issues and one ended up in Court.
    I lost 2 stone from not eating after my fella died. My heart rate was 132 for 3 months. My heart ached in every way.
    Then after the shock subsided and everyone wanted me to eat – sad really as I was finally an ok weight (the only blessing!) I then gained weight and then all the emotional eating started. I then out on 3 stone.
    I’m just started this and am skeptical that I’ll stick to it. Today’s been a really bad day, although I’ve been good-ish.
    Anyway my bloods even after ALL of this, and I too dreaded the results, were fine. πŸ™‚ My cholesterol is insane due to inherited cholesterol issues. I can tolerate very high levels indeed. They want me to take statins & I tried but they make me vague so I now blankly refuse. I do need to do ‘something’.
    That something is this (for now) … if it works then great.
    Remember it IS your choice to do what they advise. They aren’t Gods and they don’t know everything. Go with your gut instinct.
    I used a slightly tight belt for a period a long time ago and that had a sort of gastric band effect! πŸ™‚
    I to like the idea of tackling the real cause… our brains – it’s all psychological! Control that and you have the reins to go wherever you want. πŸ˜€

Bother – just realised that I replied to Speedy from years ago in this thread ! Ooops sorry chaps. Oh well …

I found that after a terrific start, I just plateaued. I also found trying to keep track of the calories whilst living in an unfamiliar developing country quite tricky. AND having to fight “I wanna eat!” urges is no fun.

So … on my fast days I now have no food. Just a cup of coffee β˜• in the morning and then nothing but water until the next day.

I don’t get nearly as hungry, apart from a small tantrum from inside about dinner time. I don’t feel weak or dizzy, even though I used to have problems with hypoglycemia. I find it so much easier in so many ways. Even socially; people are much less likely to press food on me.

My results? 15kg / 33lb / 2 stone 5lb and 15cm / 6″ around the waist so far.

Hello! I just joined and am nearing the end of my first fast day. I’ve decided on Mondays and Wednesdays however I’m not sure if I can handle the Wed. as I volunteer at a school over lunch time. According to the activity levels, I’m light to medium active as I play tennis a few times a week – although doubles tennis so not as much moving around as in singles. I’m also trying to incorporate some weight training (I’m 55 year old female) and have heard building and maintaining muscle may help with metabolism. I am determined as I’m tired of the belly fat I’m always trying to conceal with certain clothes. So, I welcome all the tips and plan to check in often for inspiration and encouragement! Onward and upwards (or downwards in weight) I hope! Good luck to all, especially those of us in my age group.

Hey,
    Fasting again. I may have gone a little overboard yesterday but for me, I’m really hungry starting very early in the day for the first time maybe in my life! I think perhaps the fasting has cured some digestsive inflammation and perhaps my good bacteria are more balanced bc this appetite is very new to me and it feels really good and healthy. I’ve just got to get used to it and feed it some good food instead of a pecan pie.
    So djwq, I had the same experience. Eating on fasting days was too hard. Now I just do a protein shake when I’m having that tantrum you spoke of (usually when making kids food) and I find it much easier.
    Hey Aurora, sounds like you’ve had some very rough times. My heart goes out to you, I hope you are getting the support you need.
    Gotta take kids to Hogwarts camp,, today is potions class, and the art of spells! Lol

Hi Lrham! Welcome, and happy fasting!

I will be a 53 year old yo yo dieter next month. I have always struggled with my weight since having a hysterectomy back in 1997. You name it I have done it to try and keep the weight off. Slimming world was successful all the time I went to group sessions. Now I can only go once in a while the weight is going back on. They don’t like it and neither do iπŸ˜₯
    I done a 2 day consecutive fast last week in preparation for going to France over the weekend and t be honest, I have eaten more than planned. I am doing a fast today and again on Thursday, with next week as Monday and Wednesday before going back out again. I don’t think weighing myself at the moment would be a good idea after this weekend.

All advice and help is always great fully received.

Hi Smiffysmum!
    Im glad you won’t be a yo yo dieter until next month. lol. I must say, I am very jealous of all you Brits being able to just “go to france over the weekend”…i was so excited about my little french cafe yesterday. and, Im sorry, who wouldn’t over eat during a weekend in france. So shake it off, and get back in a good mindset and have a great fasting day today. Remember that every time you get hungry you are challenging your brain so it gets sharper and smarter and healthier, you are challenging your bloodsugar which gets more regulated and you are turning on higher levels if the SIRT1 gene which allows you to burn fat! Go girl!

Ok. 9:16pm. Upstairs, far away from kitchen, and still have some shake left! Stellar evening!!! I actually took kids for pizza and got 4 oz glass of red snd stayed in my calorie count. Im doing a happy dance. Shuttled kids to Hogwarts camp and then to tap dancing, and all smooth sailing. I feel like im finally getting the hang of fasting days…now to master the up days! πŸ™„

By incorporating fitness into your diet routine you are also enabling your body to burn off any extra calories you may have consumed during the day. This means that if you want to have a small ‘cheat’ during your day, you can make up for it by burning a few more calories than normal in the evening. This isn’t something that should happen often but an occasional occurrence isn’t going to make or break your diet.

I just put on my fitbit and im off on my first walk in many months (injury)! Yea!

So im having an interesting time observing my up days. After two consecutive “starving” up days where i just really payed attention to my hunger, but i didnt restrict myself. Today, i payed attention to my hunger…and it was totally different. Hardly hungry at all after my first small meal. Yet, what seems to have changed and stayed, is i am hungry earlier…i take that as a good sign of a heslthier gut. 😎

Hello ladies, looks like a few newbies here. Welcome to the group.

Slimnhealthy, hogwarts camp sounds like a lot of fun. This week my granddaughters and I are having Granny camp. I can’t wait. I’m heading out on Wednesday morning. I plan on stopping in Ohio for Lauren then heading to Indiana right away. However since it’s an 8 hour drive to Ohio I might just spend the night there. 4 hours more to Indiana. So I told my youngest one I might not see her til Thursday. Her mom texted me today to tell me that Sylvie’s not getting out of bed til Thursday. I suppose it’s her version of a “sleep-in” protest. She did get up for breakfast though and was distracted with crafts so she didn’t go back to bed. Some activist she’ll turn out to be! πŸ˜ƒ

Lrham, I think that weight training is an excellent way to boost your metabolism. It also helps to increase bone density. I’m a lifter and I love it. I tend to do tougher work-outs on my fasting days for some reason. I just feel so much better. I also walk every day and often ride my bike. I’m also a kayaker. I’ve just put my kayak rack on my car so I can take it with me to Granny camp. I’m probably as excited as the girls are about it. (they’re 6, 7, and 8 yrs old)

I’m probably going to be doing two consecutive fast days this week. Today and tomorrow. Tomorrow will be easy as I’ll be in the car all day. I typically do Mondays and Thursdays but sometimes I just have to be flexible and switch it up.

When I started 5:2 around Christmas time I was also doing Whole 30. That was really helpful in getting me to think about eating nutritious foods. Being a mindful eater is very important and I try to steer clear of junk food even on my non-fast days. I try to keep to at least 80% clean eating. I did have an ice cream cone the other day and even though I love ice cream, it wasn’t worth the calories. 🍦

Have a great week everyone. Patty

Patty!
    So funny about your little activist! Have fun with granny camp!

If you stop in columbus and dont have the energy for grocery food shopping, Portia’s is an all raw food restaurant and she has organic veggies galore! Tell her the nice family who used to eat there and moved to Austin says hi! Its on Indianola Ave in North columbus. Just off 71. (But look away at the raw nut cheescake if you are fasting or take it to go for an up day – lots of good fats and to die for)

Hi everyone! My name is Theo and I’m from New Hampshire; I’m 49 years old and have been trying to drop some poundage for quite some time. I’ve always been a bigger girl but when my 5’3 (in good shoes) frame hit 180 I knew I had to do something. I started with protein shakes for meal replacement and had a bit of success but then I hit a plateau and didn’t move for MONTHS. I found 5:2 after hearing Jimmy Kimmel talk about a similar way of eating and I was hooked; I wish I had found this sooner. I’ve been eating this way for almost 4 weeks and I’m down 5 pounds. It’s taken me almost a year, but I’ve lost a total of 35 pounds and my 50 pound goal seems to be in reach. My weigh in day in on Friday so perhaps there will be some more good news in a few days. I can’t believe how good I feel eating like this!

I recently found out that I will have to have a hysterectomy in August and to be honest with you…I’m so scared that I will regain the weight that I’ve worked so hard to lose. So, I decided that maybe talking to all these lovely people on the forum (Yes, I’ve been stalking the threads…LOL) could help me keep focused. I welcome any tips and stories you may want to share regarding this. LOL

It’s so nice to finally say hello to you all and I’m looking forward to getting to know you.

Theo527, good luck to you in August and welcome. I am 60 years old, a bit under 5′ 2″, and started this way of life in March. I have lost almost all I wanted to lose and am tip toe-ing into maintenance.

Karen (PS. I have a son named THeodore.)

Hi Everyone!

Welcome Theo. Nice to have an Eastern time zone. I went to school in Boston n took a trip to New Hampshire once with a boyfriend who was from there… Can’t remember much except how terrifying it was to meet a big family on some big occasion.

Anyway, congratulations on 35 pounds!

I’m 5’3″ when I stand really straight so I know exactly what your weight feels like. I have almost exactly the same amount of weight to lose to reach goal (13.5). I got up to 180 with the birth of my second child at age 41. Got that off the next year by starving myself but of course it creeped back to 140+ pretty easily if I didn’t watch every little bite. So I started 5:2 and went Back to Vegan. (I had stopped during pregnancy out of pure blood thirsty desire! Lol) and again I went back down to goal, And my gall bladder that was due for surgery was completely cured. But then we moved to Texas from Ohio and I injured my arm really bad ( couldn’t move it at all, even walking was painful), and so I stopped weighing in after 140 but have been very sedentary and eating my sorrows since last Thanksgiving. It doesn’t help thatbAustin has a ton of sinful vegan options like a vegan ice cream parlor!!

Now, arm has stopped hurting unless I go past a certain range, I can sleep again, and I can start walking. so I decided to reread the fasting books n get inspired. I got So inspired by the health aspects that I am doing every other day now (mostly except on special occasions or right before period when I’m ravished) mainly to see if I can get my health better. And as an extra bonus get back to goal. When I get to goal, I plan to stay on 5:2 for life as I already have had so many amazing health improvements….and I’m a doctor so I’m totally geeked out with the science of fasting!

Don’t be surprised if by fasting that hysterectomy date changes, I’ve seen some pretty significant changes and there are people on this forum who have reversed their hypoglycemia and type 2 diabetes.

I’m fasting at least till dinner today and kids n I are cooking veggies and making beans! I got a new protein shake, Sun Warrior and it’s excellent! Happy day everyone!

Karen, congrats on creeping near maintenance! It really inspires me to hear that with this last ten+ to go.

SlimmnH, I had baby #2 at 40. He turns 20 in August. Oh my, how did that happen?

Hi Slim – I had my last child at 40 and I too couldn’t get enough red meat in my diet! It was so strange. I grew up right outside of Boston, in a town called Chelsea. I hate to ask, but since you are geeked out by the science of fasting…could fasting truly have an effect on endomycosis? Quite frankly..I’ve gone through a few minor procedures trying to avoid a hysterectomy; could this really help with the pain? That would be soooo wonderful!

Karen- My maiden name is Theodore and Theo is what my hubby calls me. My first name is really Tina. I love the idea of Theodore as a first name!

Theo
    Well, that’s a rare reason for hysterectomy indeed. I guess you could consider this a second opinion but I don’t think your problems will come to an end with hysterectomy as it’s one focus of a bigger internal imbalance. Before I say another word I need to know more, when was the diagnosis? Was it post surgical or what has been the determining causal?

If you don’t mind telling your story, we may all learn something in the process and come out all the more educated.

To be clear, I am not against surgery, but usually regard it as necessary in advanced cancer. Otherwise, I like to look at all options. You don’t drink diet pop do you or do any aspartame products do you? ..as I had a really rare case of fungal infection in a your girl and when we took her off all “diet products” with aspartame, her fungal infection finally cleared. This was after part of her tongue had been removed (not by me). This is why I generally don’t recommend temoval of body parts until we find causal and work more sytemically.

I’d be happy to tell you more if you do not mind telling your story. Otherwise, I don’t want to give bad advise only knowing a little.

Btw, how nice you are from Chelsea, I went to Wellsley (opposite direction I think) so yes, despite feelin’ the Bern, I’m for my fellow Alum. Hilliary.

OK….I typed it incorrectly; they suspect Adenomyosis not endomycosis. Sorry about the typo. They are unable to give a diagnosis until they actually remove the uterus. I have undergone an ablation about 5 months ago hoping that would help but I’m still in pain for almost 2 weeks every month.

A few years ago I started having horrible pains during the time I was due to ovulate. It literally felt like my insides were going to fall out of me and the cramping was unbelievable; I’d never experienced anything like this before. I went in for a few ultrasounds and they saw cysts on my ovaries but that didn’t explain the “heaviness” that I was constantly feeling. A few months later they did another ultrasound and saw that the cysts were gone but told me that the lining on my uterus was very thick. We spoke about a hysterectomy at that time but I honestly didn’t want to go through with it; the recovery time alone is insane and I just didn’t want them to remove stuff from my body without trying whatever I could try first. We did the ablation and that didn’t work at all. I was told that by explaining my symptoms, the type of pain I was feeling, ultrasound results and when the pain started the most likely diagnosis was Adenomyosis (When the lining of the uterus is absorbed by the uterus itself).

Oops…I forgot. I don’t drink soda (pop, tonic) and I haven’t for a very long time. I even stopped drinking my beloved Capt. Morgans and Coca Cola almost 10 years ago. The carbonation really started bothering me when I approached 40…which I think is weird, but then again…drinking milk now bothers me too. I can handle ice cream and cheese every once in a while (Thank God!) but actually drinking straight milk does a number on my stomach. Stupid aging process. LOL

Ok Theo,

Lol, that typo correction takes you out of the “rare” category. Unfortunately, it makes surgery more plausible.

So the old conventional me would say surgery. But knowing the recoup and side effects of surgery as well as the possible alternatives now I’d say you may still have some options on managing it until menopause quells the hormones. But then Again, I don’t know what you’ve tried.

I would say that since you live in New Hampshire, it would be worth your while calling Dr. Alan and Beth Gaby (He is an MD and she an ND) and seeing if they know anyone in your area who could address this. I did some quick research and saw that Dr. Tori Hudson has had success as well as some Doulas in keeping Adenomyosis manageable. They are far, but you could see what they say. Also, just about any pain condition is improved with acupuncture if you can afford it. The other therapy worth a try (expensive first visit but usually cheap thereafter is homeopathy). I have a dear friend here, Homeopath, who has completely got my perimenopause regular and painless with one remedy).

As far as the inflammatory part, fasting will do wonders! But if pain is extreme, it might need extreme initial fasting to get it maneagable.

So there you go, hope that helps a little.

Wow! Thank you so much for all the info. I will be making some phone calls and seeing what I can find. I think I just accepted the fact that now that these growths were firmly settled in my uterine walls that removal was my only option. Thank you again…sending hugs from NH!

My pleasure. Hugs back from Austin. ☺️

K-lo. I saw that baby #2 at 40 is now 20….. Tell us tired moms that it all turned out well. 😏

Yes it all works out fine. Just dont expect to be able to run around with your grands.

Hi all,

What am I doing wrong? A month in and not a gram list, I don’t eat in excess on my non fast days and I exercise a fair amount. Kept to 500 cals religiously on the fast days, was doing ok, but scales not shifting.

Yesterday I tried to fast but had such a violent attack of hunger that I went overboard, takeaway, yogurt with jam, bread and butter… I just could not feel full, no matter how much I ate.

Giving it another go today, first weekday fast, the second is Saturday, but I am getting despondent! Has anyone else felt like this? Thank you for any help you can give me.

Hello Theo527 and Caterinacate, two ladies who are at very different points on their journey to a healthy weight.

Theo, you inspire me, congrtas on keeping on for a whole year, your determination is awesome. Your 50lbs target must be trembling a little, and looking over its shoulder!

Caterinacate, I’m sorry you’ve tried so hard for so little. I found the first few weeks I lost only a pound or two. Then I decided to *really* weigh and check everything that I ate, every single thing. I discovered that I hadn’t been counting the milk that I had in my tea and coffee, which was amounting to 100 cals a day. But it’ll be a different story for everyone. My advice would be Don’t Give Up! You could be 1mm away from your weight loss, it might be just about to drop.
    Use this amazing website and all the forums for advice and inspiration.

I am really encouraged reading all the posts here.
    Keep on keeping on

(Theo527, here in England, my friend’s 1yo is called Thea – this is a shortened form of Theodora. Pretty, eh?)

Lorraine – perfect words for Caterinacate. Sometimes it’s just persistent efforts and making sure that what you are doing is structured for the long haul!

Caterinacate, the very hungry day could be that the small and slow calorie deficit is finally being noticed by the brain as an impending weight loss….so on those days, I either do modified fasts, stock up on lots of fiber and water, or I give in but have a 300 calorie, 2 protein shake day the next day. You will figure out what works for you. (For me it is also hormones still- don’t know if that’s an issue for you)

Remember that no matter what happens to your weight in the short run, your body is getting healthier in the long run….and that will lead slowly to a healthier weight. I dare say but I have seen it, that sometimes, there is a health problem the body is working on on fasting days and until that healing is complete, the weight isn’t let go of. So just remind yourself every fast day that the body is being healed.

As for non fast days, be sure to journal a week of food intake. It might surprise you that while you aren’t eating in excess, you are eating more concentrated calories. Maybe not, but check it out.

The last thing I will say is that, prior to fasting I was chronically dehydrated. What I mean is that my gut was so unhealthy, that I was not absorbing water properly no matter how much I drank. So after fasting, when my gut began to heal, I actually went up in the scales as my gut healed and I became hydrated. I could tell because my energy was better, my skin better, i had more formed stools, etc etc etc. so watch for health signs and trust the process of healing. Measure your important parts if you need to.

I hope that helps! Keep us posted and we’ll see if we can help you figure it out!

Keep going ladies. One year on 5:2 and I have lost 42 pounds and kept it off. My target is to get to a BMI which classifies me as overweight rather than obese. That might seem a bit pathetic to some, but at age 56 and having got fatter and fatter through my adult life this is the only time I have ever stuck to a lifestyle change and I am really proud of myself. The reason the weight has come off so slowly is that I don’t calorie count on my ‘5’ days and know that ! drink and eat too much then. But that is my real life. And it isn’t just about weight, I believe that 5:2 is good for my general health and just want to find evidence to convince my sceptical (and annoyingly thin) husband. Finally, getting into a routine where I have to focus on things other than food at least 2 days a week is a big psychological shift for me. So reaching my target isn’t the end, just a stage and I think that is the point – not a diet but a lifestyle.

Hey CC! I finally got on the scale after not losing for almost a month and im down! Past a little barrier i havnt been able to breAk

So as GuernseyJ says, keep at it! Well done GJ!!!

Thank you to all who responded. All wise and kind words of encouragement. Very much appreciated. However, I ended up eating today, did not manage again to stick to 5:2, in fact even had a scone with jam and cream on my shopping trip.

I am not discounting trying again but this week is a write-off as I have so much on in the next 3 days that I just can’t see myself be on 500 cals. But you never know, I might be able to. Will let you know how it goes next week.

Slimhealthy Thanks for the thoughts – appreciated… just tend to ‘help myself’ really but I’m pretty used to that. But I have some good friends and I’ve learn to seek them out when I need to which is really good! πŸ™‚
    Theo527 – as with other women here I had my hysterectomy & full ooctomy when I was 36. The only thing I’d say is to try and get a handle on your hormone levels now. They can test for it and it will help you identify the HRT most suited to you (if they suggest this I’d take it …). I am very very sensitive to drugs and only needed 8mg whereas many women go on 200mg per day! It took me nearly 2 years to find the right one but for MOST women this isn’t a problem.
    I have had a problem with weight since it but I don’t see that it’s probably related as my life had changed too in some ways. And like many I’ve eaten more than I really needed and also emotionally eaten too! I’m a terrible comfort eater. πŸ™

Theo527 I forgot to say – The op is FINE. I had a really good gynea surgeon and understood every aspect of it. A month before hand I had a (ach can’t recall what it’s called… z something) but they inject the womb and it’s significantly reduced in size. That made the extraction far easier. I know know that there has been many many advances since mine and it’s far easier now than it was even then (1997)!
    It is an anxious time as is any operation, as there are no guarantees, but good surgeon who can leave minimal scarring and good back up support for the hrt if you go onto it and you’ll be just fine! πŸ˜€

And interesting article here on Adenomyosis :
    http://www.webmd.com/women/guide/adenomyosis-symptoms-causes-treatments

Caterinacate I’m not long started so I’ve little experience of this but so very many people have said it works long term and just stick at it! It is all just so convincing and so encouraging.
    As gurnseyjane says a year on and lost 42lbs ! πŸ˜€ Well Done.
    I see this as a Way Of Live and one that I can stick to.
    I was really late deciding that today I’d have as a LoCal day (FD) and blew it by a bit. So I will tomorrow … but with the eu elections going on and I’m emotionally so very much homing that my ‘camp’ will win I think those emotions are running high and I ‘wanted to eat’. My downfall. So I had a proper little dinner of fish and vegetables with a half a potato and a very small sweet potato! But I’m full and OK, tomorrow is another day.

I use the App Trackmyfast and I hope that app will get more options.
    Putting in the foods I eat is a bit of a pain but I’m still getting used to it and there are lots of food there, but at least ‘my kind of foods’ once in are in! πŸ˜€ And it reads bar codes too which is a big help. πŸ™‚
    I add all tea with (whole) milk too! πŸ™‚
    There are websites too that show good calorie counting.

Viewing 50 posts - 6,701 through 6,750 (of 7,330 total)

You must be logged in to reply.