HELP! All ladies of a 'certain age'-please respond

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
HELP! All ladies of a 'certain age'-please respond

This topic contains 7,289 replies, has 660 voices, and was last updated by  Opal Shine 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 5,651 through 5,700 (of 7,330 total)

• I have the flu :-((

NEmum, let me know if you want to meet up when you come to Lymington.

Oh dear blaise

Get better soon, keep hydrated and warm. Come back to 52 when you feel better.

Audrey

I hope it is a short, mild flu Blaise! Take it as easy as you can!

I had a nice third Fast Day for the week: that’s what happens when you do your first one on a Sunday!

Ginette, I have stevia growing in the garden. I add a small leaf to my cup of tea as I like the little bit of added sweetness. I will try rhubarb with it! I do miss fruit (if you can put rhubarb in that category). I have been wanting to try a Lamb and Rhubarb Stew I found a recipe for (Persian) just to taste it again!

Good day 🙂

Hi NeMum and all

missing my wit and wisdom, how kind, though I dont have much of either.

A pic of Patsy and Edina came into my facebook as few minutes ago, with the words

‘If someone tells you its too early for wine – unfriend them.

You don’t need that kind of negativity in your life!’

Made me smile.

Cinque

What a great idea, where did you get the plant? Is it easy to grow? I like the thought of natural sweetners!

I have made myself some rhubarb and set it into blackcurrant jelly for a change, it seems ok but I can’t try it until later when I break this fast…..

Milena glad to see you back on here, we can talk cross threaded again to confuse people! Hehe

Keep in touch ladies, together we are stronger

Audrey

Hi Audrey, I Have had my stevia plant for several years now.
    It dies back over winter but pops up again in Spring. That is in Melbourne! It is a tropical plant but is happy enough here.
    I bought it from a nursery and have repotted it a couple of times. Looking after it is somewhere between growing mint and growing sweet basil!
    If I harvest the leaves over summer, they dry easily and I have plenty to keep me through winter.
    But I have only used it for my tea. That is a couple of leaves a day!
    As the leaves grow bigger and older they get more of a bitter back-taste on top of the sweetness, so I pick them fairly young. Once they dry they can be crumbled into powder and used like bought stevia (or so I understand).

Thanks cinque

Will have a look on Internet and see if I can get some for next summer to plant here. That’s if it will tolerate the crewe weather. Hehe

Audrey

Milena,
    Good to see you here again.
    Hope all is well with you x
    I have truly valued your comments and encouragement since starting th is forum, my alcohol comment was not meant to offend.
    NEmum

goodness, NEmum, I laughed out loud at it!!! Did I seem offended? And as I laughed out load at the patdy and Edina ditty, thought to share it.

Just realised though, you still doing sober october? The second two weeks are easier. I always buy something nice with the money Ive saved.

Just took the corrosive comment perhaps too personally, which didnt come from you.

Anyway, Im absolutely fine, had a great break in Denmark, all the extra fasting beforehand, with much help from Audrey, didnt result in even an ounce lost, but counter balanced all the food and drink I had while away, as not sn ounce gained. Wonder how often we give up when its not working straight away? Its a good lesson.

So back where I was at the beginning of the month, next trip January , hopefully we can all knock doors out of windows, weight wise, before Christmas.

Hi ladies

I have had a sneak on scales and I am now back to pre holiday weight with just 16 lbs to get to my initial target of healthy bmi…. I can do this…. I am sure I can…… just need a lot of motivation. …..

Thanks milena for all your help with fast days I am still going strong, only had cup of coffee so far today with of course lots of water…..

May join you again tomorrow, what are you doing liquid only or fast?

Audrey

Hi Audrey

I’m STILL 13 lbs short of my initial target weight, still trying to work out why I picked 53 lbs, maybe that is my healthy BMI??? – so we are definitely on the same journey – got through yesterday but did miss my clear soup stock.

Have a chicken to roast for tonight – no free range chickens in Aldi so bought one from Lidl, anyone get them regularly? – last one we bought was from Sainsbury’s, over 50% dearer than Aldi but in my opinion 100% nicer. But OH refuses to spend over nine pounds on a chicken.

I’ll be able to make my stock tomorrow so a liquid is on!!!

I think we would both be daft to try to get to that 16lbs you need by Christmas!!!! No need for pressure and its probably not doable!!

So are we on to try then????????????? lol!!!!

They do say if you think you can or you think you can’t – you will succeed – so worth a try, I think!

Hi milena

I think we should give it our best shot and see what happens. If we stick together who knows! If I lose the lb per week before Christmas I will be over the moon, but if I can lose 2lb per week I think I can still make it all the way to the stars!

I will join you tomorrow but am going to do 500 day again, I have got some turkey chilli and bare naked rice out for tea lovely. …

Talk later, I am keeping my mind of food by playing games on my tablet. …..

Audrey

Hi gals, im 58y and have been doing the 5\2 fasting for over 18months I know its well over a year anyway.When I first started I lost 20 lb or 6 kg and my husband lost way more than that.But then I got sick with acid reflux and gained it back.i stayed doing the 2 days a week fast mon\thur but the weight wont shift.in all that time I have only lost 2\3 kg or 4\6 lb.It seems like my body has got used to the fast.It just don’t want to shift. Mean while my husbands weight has come down to normal.I do have a low thyroid and on whole thyroid 120 mg.Any one got any idear how to get my body to shift more weight.

Hi keelee welcome to our thread.

I too have an under active thyroid and take thyroxine it is harder to lose weight but i have found it possible. Have you tried doing a 4 3 or even liquid only days that may help you.

I am sure some of our other loca will be along soon with more advice. Don’t worry you will get support here!

Once again welcome
    Audrey

Hi Kelee,
    I’m the same age as you (but with different health problems!).
    How frustrating it must be for you.
    I guess the Pollyanna view is that without 5:2 you might be many kilos heavier.
    I hope you find a strategy that works. Lots of good wishes to you. It makes every day a battle, so all power to you.

Other people, Can I ask about the liquid fasts? What are they all about?

All good things

Milenia… Good going with the same weight coming out of Denmark as going in! That is Victory. I feel that way!

Not too much to say today…kept on keeping on. Welcome KEELEE! I don’t have any thyroid advice, but Audrey does from personal experience. Hope you can get some help and stay with 5:2. It is rewarding as a new way to tackle weight for life! Pea Jay

Hi Pea Jay

it was, I usually put on 4 or 5 pounds – I do go off the rails!!!! As a way of life, overeating and staying the same is a victory, overall calories over a period were fine.

Keelee, welcome. I’m 58 too, a lot of us youngsters (ha ha!) on here. I don’t have thyroid either but I’ve just had my gall bladder out and one of the doctors suggested the problems may have lead to my weight gain over the last ten years, at least in part. Read up on this, gall bladder problems are more common in fat flatulant females in their 40s. Of course the usual answer is that obesity causes any and all related problems, however, it does make sense that other problems could cause obesity. Only problem now is I’ve just swapped problems, having no gall bladder may mean it is difficult to lose weight and keep it off.

So I’m trying to have patience, and the belief it WILL come off if I do enough – hard part of course is what is enough. The liquid fasts with Audrey seem to be working, and adding extra fast days too, but we’ll know better over a few months.

I’ve done this for a while, but I haven’t really done much to maximise my calories, ie I have mayo and oil, and gulp when I see the impact of a tablespoonful of mayo on a fast day, but still use it. I need to eat better within limited calories. I often have eight or ten veg a day, but I’ve always done that. One thing I have found is soup, though its only chicken soup at the moment. Very filling stuff though, more filling with lumps of veg rather than blitzing it – and the clear stock is great on a liquid day. I need to increase my repertoire of soups and I suspect stews might be a good option too, heavy on veg, light on meat, but cooked for hours, especially in colder weather. Shop bought soup is nowhere near as filling, and full of sugar.

Ignore husbands, mine had a few pounds to lose, did it easily – and is keeping it steady with bacon, sausage and pastries as a staple diet on the days I don’t cook!

So my advice is rethink, and keep rethinking what is good to eat, and move things around – and have patience, a pound a month (or 2lb every 2 months) is still a dress size in a year. And I must remember to keep taking my own advice!

Milena, I do the same thing with the mayo! I love that stuff. I have noticed since 5:2 I am more thoughtful about how much I use when I use it (on my non-fast days of course). And it seems to taste better to me since fasting.
    Soup. I’ve been useing the weightwatchers zero soup recipe for my fast days (and non-fast days since it is yummy). I load a cup of it with a 4oz chicken breast, and a half cup of wheatberries. Lots of fiber and protein. It really fills me up and I actaully look forward to it. Since eating this i’ve finally lost a couple of pounds. I have this for dinner and then a some greek yogurt and berries for a snack before i go to bed. I’m making progress. It takes time and patience but this does work. For such a long time I was just thrilled I wasn’t putting more on. Loosing is such a bonus!

Thinking of doing some of the stuff out of 50 shades of grey!

Haven’t read any of the books, but I reckon I’m an amazing masochist, have just been with OH to Sainsbury’s to get his goodies! Danish pastries and scones tonight. Must be mad! There he was, discussing the merits of the bakery items which had been reduced.

Strangely, I wouldn’t eat much of what he buys even on a non-fast day.

BTW Veronica, Hellmans on special offer – both full fat and reduced fat – wouldn’t touch the reduced though.

Audrey, had a look at the jellies, I think about 100 calories a wee pot.

I reckon the same amount of made up jelly cubes with 50g of raspberries, more than in the pots at the shops, would be under 40 calories, so what on earth do they put in it? Would a little fruit juice, gelatin and fruit work? Must try. Or – 3am this morning was watching Masterchef Australia – they made a lovely chocolate mousse by heating whipping cream, to just under boiling if you want to try it – then just pour it into a bowl of chocolate pieces. Whisk until chocolate is melted and stick in the fridge. Then give it another whip until doubled in size and its ready. Who’d have thought it could be that easy.

Note to self: go to bed instead of watching cookery programmes! And stop giving folk recipes with chocolate and cream as the only ingredients!

Veggies in the stock now, we will have soup tonight!!! Might have some at midnight! I think I can do a bowl then, and still work with around 400 calories, with a few bowls tomorrow.

Chips and mayo on Wednesday!!!!! Perhaps.

Thankyou Gals for all your lovely replies as I live in a remote place, it lifted my sole and made me feel really great as a result I lost 800 grms which is about 1 lb12oz I think.Youll never know how much those replies meant to me,Thankyou all.

Milena, hartleys do sugar free jellies in sachets it little crystals in they are 9 kcal per serving! Very tasty too…

Keelee now you have found us no matter how remote you feel you will never be alone. … we are a very friendly bunch of ladies you are welcome to chip in anytime…..

3 fast days down and 3lb gone 1.5 kilo for you Keelee! I know I will probably put some back on but if I can keep 2lb off I will be over the moon!

Have a good day ladies, I am off to Dr to try to sort the thyroid and dodgy knees out!

Audrey

Good morning all,
    Congratulations KeeLee, what a lovely result!

Is anyone else Fasting today? My life is a bit too hectic at the moment so I don’t quite feel ready for it, but hey, it is just one day!

I hope that doctors appointments and wicked sexy things done with Danish pastries (is that right Milena?) have all gone well!

Good day!

Well, I’m on day 5 of the flu and beginning to feel slightly more human, although still spiking temperatures every night and coughing for England! So, won’t be fasting this week. However I’ve had very little appetite this week so have lost a pound without even trying, so that’s a bonus 🙂

KeeLee, are you in the States? (I’m assuming we get people from all over here.) I lived in the States for a year, and my daughter often visits (work-related).

It is another morning here!
    Hi Blaise! I hope each day keeps getting better!
    I think all the women of a certain age must also be in bed with the flu! Or off with busy lives! Best wishes to you all!
    I got through my Fasting day ok although it was harder than usual. Luckily that wasn’t too hard!
    Best wishes to everyone Fasting today, and everyone enjoying a day of good normal eating!

All ladies, I am pretty sure I learned from one post that there was another who was from the U.S. Who was that please? Today I cannot find current posts on this thread. Pea Jay

AAAARRR fasting day to day? Hey does anyone know how many calories pea protein has. I was gona try to use that as a shake.But no were on the packet does it say how much to use in a shake or how many calories are in it.I was gona mix it with Almond milk, do any of you know what the calories would be from a shake made of that.Thanks.

KeeLee
    I see almond milk with no sugar or vanilla added is 50 cal. per 8 oz. This is a brand called “Almond Dream” Same brand with vanilla or sugar added is 80 cal per 8 oz. Hope this is a timely help. I know nothing about pea protein. Pea Jay

I’ve never even heard of pea protein KeeLee! Might their website have info?

I hope you find the U.S.A.er PeaJay!

To you lovely ladies of a certain age,Do you watch what you eat during the non fasting days and if you don’t do you still lose weight.Also which time of day or day is the best time to weigh your self.

Hi KeeLee,
    I don’t weigh myself, so others will have to answer that question. However I do know that weight loss happens in a very up and down way (like this graph: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-k4VciCFBgDY/TfPHpNLfg1I/AAAAAAAAA8w/fktzIltaKSU/s1600/Untitled.png) so it can be more sensible to weigh weekly or monthly than get drawn into daily ups and downs.

I like to eat good healthy food on non Fast days and want to listen to my body about how much. Since starting 5:2 my body has been much better at giving me good signs when I have had enough. It is as though each fast day my brain is being reprogrammed to give clearer messages. I am naturally eating less.

Every now and then I have a big feast, but that seems to work fine. It is important to me that 5:2 isn’t a diet, but a healthy way of life. I don’t want to be counting calories and stressing about food on non Fast days, in fact I found it confusing when I first came to the forums that people were doing that. I now understand that it is necessary for some people, and that I am quite unusual here.

KeeLee… I tend to weigh and record my weight morning after a fast. It is my, lowest and it gives me a psychological boost. I record on the calendar what days we actually fast as well.

This summer we had 5 WKS in Europe and I let myself snack between meals. We didn’t fast. I came back 6 lbs heavier. The first lb was off as soon as we had a fast day, but on 5:2 it has taken me from Aug 10 until Oct 22 to return to weight Before the trip.

I like it most because we can adjust social life around it and also I lost fat, not muscle mass. I exercise regularly. I did before beginning 5:2.

Pea Jay

Morning ladies

2lb off for me……very pleased indeed.

Keelee, I stick to 1200 kcals on non fast days as this is the amount I will eat when I reach my target weight. Look at me saying when not if! I weigh every day but only log my weight loss or gain once a week…..

Good luck to all

Audrey

AAAARRRGHH
    I had a really good fast last Sunday following a good week where I lost 3lb and was going to do another fast today but this morning the scales said I had put on nearly half a stone in a week, no, no, no way. How? I have no idea how, I thought I’d eaten well, and I’ve been active too. This losing weight thing is a total mystery to me. Needless to say I have sought solace in a piece of cheesecake and will fast tomorrow.

NEmum

Nemum

First don’t panic, sometimes I have done this and it comes off again really quickly. Could it be water retention even though I am now past the change I still retain water every month or so. … do a liquid only day and see what happens. … please don’t be disheartened it really does happen to us all…..

Audrey

NEmum

give the scales and kick and tell it to behave itself!!!

Ignore it for a week – the scales hate that – and then go on again – I promise you they will behave themselves – sometimes scales just get too big for their boots!

BTW I have FINALLY lost a pound – just one to go now to 3 st – acutally, if I stand on one foot on the scales I get there, but hey who wants to give the scales something to gossip about?

Keelee

Hi – I seem to be giving lots of advice re scales.

Weigh as often as you like – only thing is ignore anything you are not happy with, record losses only, anything else is the pesky scales playing with you!

works for me!!!

Milena

Well done to you 1 lb off 3 stone fantastic. ……

I am up for Saturday and Sunday fast if you want to join me…..

Audrey

Morning everyone! Milena I love your scales advice!

Milena is absolutely right NEmum. Only record the lower weights and weigh often. Even shifting the scales to find the perfect spot.? Scales have nothing to do with weight but everything to do with self esteem.
    And lose the cheesecake habit. If you are heavier, be even more determined. Remember the only one you are punishing by eating for solace is yourself. Go for a walk in a food court and watch all the obese people shovelling unnecessary, inappropriate food in their faces. It’s very inspiring to see and walk away with a smug feeling that you now know better. All the best. PVE

by gum purple – you are the renoir of picture painters!!!!

and what a good idea (though looking in mirror occasionally might have the same effect for me!!!)

love it!!!

And you are spot on about self esteem!

Audrey – hi!! We will have to play tag this week – I have a pork shoulder for my pulled pork sarnies tomorrow night, some frozen ciabatta (cos it was reduced the other day) mushrooms, onions and coleslaw. And some Cava in the fridge. Have asked for Jurassic World to watch while we eat but there is a huge storm coming, so I think perhaps no one will go out and we will be inclined to have a duvet day – especially as I can have a duvet day AND work – otherwise known as a duvet day for the self employed!!!!

Planning a liquid on Sunday and a normal fast on Monday. Always willing to add a fast day on the back of a pig out – in the past the pig out was followed by a normal day. Imagine being able to eat this stuff AND lose weight – what a fabulous way of life!!!

Aw gee, Milena ? Thanks. P

Milena,

I will join you for a change. ….liquid only Sunday and Monday feast it is then. …Ian is at work tonight and x factor is on……total bliss for me I can have some chocolate now and perhaps a wee dram?

Purple pretty good advice

Nemum are you o.k. ?

Good luck to everyone have a great weekend

Keep in touch, together we are stronger ladies. …

Audrey

Audrey its ok to eat chocolate.Have you ladies notice that all the big animals in the animal kingdom like elephants,hippos, rhinos etc don’t eat cake they all eat grass or salad like stuff.So I figure chocolates and cakeies cant be fatting,gotta be the salads I say.HeeeeHeee. Have a nice night gals. keelee

Joining the Conversation after a Long Long time. Does 5:2 Help ? Of Course it does. Just need to stick to t with conviction. Must admit that I let loose
    for 3 months. But you ladies have motivated me back. Tomorrow is a fast day with a little cardio (1/2 Hour).
    To Echo someones’ Words – Together We are Stronger ladies.
    Glad to be in your company.

Janaravi

Welcome back……Good luck for tomorrow. ….

Hope we are all having a good weekend. I have been shopping today and unfortunately my back is playing up so I am struggling at the moment. I am however going to try to stick to my fast days tomorrow and Monday.

As always ladies keep in touch, together we are stronger. …

Audrey

Hello ladies. Welcome back Janaravi…. Hope you benefit from the ladies on this thread. I agree, 5:2 is great. It is just being disciplined for one day at a time. Mostly we can work around social engagements too. That makes me really see it as a life style and not anything like a diet where food consumes my mind.

I was off 5:2 for 5 weeks this summer and I was not disciplined about my eating. I gained 6 lbs. the first lb came off nearly immediately. I followed 5:2 nearly 3 months and now have the scales tipping where they were before 5 week vacation. That is good news! I did no more than do 5:2 again and return to my work out and PT.

Earlier ‘Purple Veggie Eater’ said something I totally agree with…”Record the lower weights only and weigh often. Scales have nothing to do with weight but everything to do about self esteem.”

The best to you on 5:2. Pea Jay

Good morning everyone,
    Hi Janavari, Good luck with your first Fast Day back!

It is a sunny day, getting fairly hot, and the house will be full of all my favourite visitors (well nearly) this afternoon. I live in a small flat so it is good that we can spill outside.

Just having a lovely slow morning on the forum, but soon I had better get some things done! I need to start thinking of when I can fit in my next Fast Day, I think tomorrow will work!

Best wishes to all of you making food decisions today, whether Fasting, or not Fasting. Pleasurable, healthy decisions!

Hi All,
    Thank you all so much for all your scales advice, I would just like to say it was a very small piece of cheesecake I found solace in, NEdad makes the best ones. I was just a little shocked at my 6lb weight gain. I shall indeed ignore the bad and only note the losses. Onward and upwards.

NEfamily went on a fab 3 hour walk yesterday only 15 drive from our house and up into some gorgeous hills. Blew away some cobwebs and it must have shifted some calories.

Ginette
    Where are you? You OK? Email me x

NEmum

Morning ladies

I am sorry to say that my back is not any better today. …I felt such a fool yesterday when it went into spasm and I was stuck in tesco not able to move. ian was in charge of my food yesterday and it was a complete disaster we had pizza for lunch then had paella for evening meal I have crawled on scales this morning to find I have re gained the weight I lost last week. … a liquid day today for me I think….

I hope you are all doing better than me and are having a good weekend.

NeMum glad you are back in the swing and feeling better.

Keep in touch ladies together we are stronger we can do this. …

Audrey

Viewing 50 posts - 5,651 through 5,700 (of 7,330 total)

You must be logged in to reply.