Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,908 replies, has 831 voices, and was last updated by  LJoyce 5 hours, 52 minutes ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 18,301 through 18,350 (of 28,012 total)

• Welcome back Penguin. You’ve been busy too. Is Mrs Penguin over her health issues now?

I forgot to express my disgust at the whole uber laziness thing – but to get someone else to do the drive through service for you? Good grief. I can’t even think about it.

Lindsay, are you letting them get away with the wrong colour carpet? A company tried it on with a stove splash back glass years ago – after numerous delays, they arrived with the wrong thing and tried to convince me that their wrong colour was ‘very similar’. I love living with less. Yesterday I sold two vintage dresses on gumtree to a young girl. They were the ones that DD told me I looked like I had been time travelling when I wore them. Anyway, too big for me so $50 in the pocket will keep me in flat whites for a while ….. (Anzac, Lindsay and Quacka, that’s a coffee, not a shoe).

Hey, where’s LJ?

Ha ha ha Thin, funny….flat white is coffee is it? Maxx is disappointed as he thought there was another shoe on offer. OH said today he managed to open the other side of the shoe cupboard (he hasn’t done that before) and got one of MY boots this time! But luckily OH was there when he did it and rescued it before it was damaged. So now we have the laundry basket in front of that side. Sigh

Penguin, well done on the 7 lbs and well done to Mrs Penguin too. I love history and the thought of having a medieval castle practically in your backyard fills me with awe.

Lindsay your new room sounds lovely but I’m with Thin – are you going to let them get away with the wrong colour? Honestly, how hard is it to do your job people?

Quacka, my head is totally not in the right place either. I know what it is; it knows I will be feasting all weekend so why not start now? Yes, I have been grazing all day and now feel bloated and yuck. I didn’t even go for my walk because my head cold is still there and I didn’t want to go out in the cold wind. Ugh

Cinque, glad you had a great fast day, enjoy your post FD NFD.

I suspect this will be the last post I manage before next Monday morning. When I get home tonight I will be madly packing and tomorrow morning we take Maxx to the kennels after his walk then I have to finish getting ready. We are taking two of my girlfriends and we are heading off at 9.00am so another early start…no different to any other day when our beloved pooch decides to get up it is rarely later than 5.30am and then it is EVERYBODY UUUUUUUUUP playtime!!

Have a stupendous weekend my friends. Happy Fasting to the fasters and happy mindful eating (or not) to the non-fasters

Hi Penguin, nice to see your post 🙂

thin, hahahaha. We actually sell some flat whites here 😉

Anzac I totally understand what you are saying about the ‘why not start now’ thing. I have just had my konjac noodle meal and unfortunately found leftovers in the fridge and had about 6 crackers with dip. Argh!!

Hope you have a lovely time Anzac x Safe travels x

BetsyLee, welcome to the forum. You’ll find lots of help and support here for the 5:2 way of eating. Please feel free to jump into any of the conversations.

Penguin, great to see you back here and to catch up on all your activities. You certainly got rid of that extra holiday weight in a hurry! Congrats on that. When you’re busy with so many other things, food isn’t the top thing on your mind. Finding that there was a medieval castle on your back property is just amazing. Don’t you wonder about all the goings on back then?

Re chips and fries, we not only call chips fries, we call them French fries although they don’t call them that in France. In Paris, many people referred to McDonald’s as McDough.

The cateract surgery went well, but my vision is still blurry in that eye, hopefully only because it is still dilated or hasn’t settled down yet. It feels much more scratcy and some irritation when I blink my eye, but I understand from the handouts they gave me that that is normal. I guess I was just lucky with the other one, that there wasn’t much irritation. My follow up appywith the doctor’s office is early tomorrow morning.

Hope everyone is having a nice day.

Good that’s behind you, CalifD. Wishing you a steady and speedy recovery.

Anzac, have a safe and wonderful weekend away. I hope Maxx enjoys his holiday too.

Quacka, is this a FD?

8:30pm Thurs, Adelaide

Sorry I’ve been MIA for a few days. I’ve had some really busy days with appointments and other commitments and could manage more than a couple of uncharacteristically short posts.
    Today I took advantage of the mild weather and spent most of the day digging out part of the front lawn. I feel so tired I can barely type!

Tomorrow is treatment day for me. I’ll try to find time to do a proper long post tomorrow.

I’ve been so busy I messed up my FDs. I couldn’t understand why I’d pencilled a FD in for Thursday when Wednesday’s appointment schedule seemed to make it a perfect candidate. It was only last night that I realised I have treatment on Friday and I do better if I fast the day before. So I tried to at least do a controlled NFD today – but failed miserably.

Cali, glad you are back from your surgery. Hopefully the blurry sight will have cleared when you awake in the morning.

Have a good evening all. Early night for me.

Good morning everyone,

Best wishes to you on your first fast day Betsylee.

Lindsay, does your practical approach to the different coloured carpet mean the colour works well? Won’t you love having everything sorted out. And be all clear and lovely when you get back from your Christmas holiday! Best present to yourself.

Re the dreadful state of our food intake, not only do heaps of (mostly young) people spend an extra $5 for Ubereats to bring them some overprocessed chips, they struggle to buy healthy food because of the cost. It’s a worry.

Penguin, so glad you retrieved us from the junk folder. I hope the moles don’t do too much damage and soon return to their home in the castle ruins. Sorry to hear of the funeral, it is always sobering when someone you know dies. I hope the vicar is a lovely one (one of my sisters is an Anglican vicar, the rest of us are not religious at all, but she reminds us of the good work that can be done, and her role in her community is a central one).
    Nice work, you and Mrs Penguin, getting rid of your excess baggage. Oh dear I miss a home made mince pie. My mum made particularly lovely ones.

The heatwave continuing in Queensland mean the fires are still very scary. They are just unprecedented. No rain in sight, my rain magic attempts feel very feeble.

Anzac, best wishes for a fabulous weekend. Enjoy every minute. Watch out for reflected light on your friend, as you sit under the trees. Best wishes.

Cali, so good to see your post. I do hope that irritation settles down quickly, and that the blurriness is gone already.

Best wishes to you LJoyce, I hope the infusion is an easy one, inspite of your day yesterday. All good wishes.

I’m off to get my fringe cut. Phew! I am growing my hair out so I tried to keep it trim myself. Epic fail. My lovely hairdresser is going to fix it up, and I will promise to visit her every time it grows out again.

Friday lull day for me. Sensible eating planned!

Best wishes for a great day everyone.

This old body is protesting this morning. Too much happening. 69.9 this morning will have a controlled eating day.

Went to the nursing home Xmas party didn’t really overeat too much 😳 But had a little of everything. Dinner out with the family prior to my grandsons preschool graduation.

Unexpected day out with a friend tomorrow for lunch. Monday night another trip down south for eldest grandsons 20th birthday and then again next Friday for preschool Xmas party. How did life get so busy all of a sudden.

Going to get the Xmas tree up today so another busy one.

Hope you all have a good day.

Cinque, your para about people struggling to buy healthy food while blowing $5 on uber delivery underscores the need for better education. The first thing that came to mind when you mentioned that $5 was a packet of lentils. Buying that, you would have plenty of money left over for a small piece of fresh ginger & chilli and some well-chosen spices to make a delicious, nutritious meal for a family. I know there are people really struggling financially, of course there are. But we have to teach them how to fish, not give them the fish. There’s nothing better for self-esteem than learning how to do something for yourself, being independent. Yam Daisy will be a fabulous resource.

Ah, I do love reading the posts when I start my day. Always someone …everyone ….has something interesting to say.

Monday 9 am and down to 29 degrees max today in Brisbane. Whew. Still around 40 in the fire zone though – calmer, but they’re aren’t out of the woods yet (literally).

Thin, here’s something that takes the cake….I emailed the carpet company on Wednesday – still no response. I do like the colour although it has a subtle brown undertone, not the grey I’d chosen (our house is grey brick with feature timber, with pale pale blue/grey floors. We also have some concrete bits so the grey would have worked better. But…there’s lots of light and the house is being painted sparkly white, so I have decided just to go with it. Yes, Anzac and Thin, it’s the line of least resistance, but also as Cinque says, it’s a carpet I can work with, and I do actually like the tone it throws when I open my blinds and the sunshine streams in. My DIL (artist/art teacher) has in the past cautioned about too much grey because it’s such a cool colour, so may be this is serendipitous. More serendipity here in 2013 when we lost a huge grey gum into the pool, during a cyclone. We had it lifted out in two pieces, and the mobile miller came and turned it into timber that we cured until last year, when we had a table of timber and concrete crafted by the lovely men who did our concrete kitchen benches. It was quite a process, but so much better than turning our beautiful old tree into wood chip.

Good work on the Gumtree sale Thin – how satisfying for you both. Is the process difficult?

Penguin how amazing, to find the remains of a medieval castle in an adjacent field. We can only dream of such things here (although it’s similar, I think, when there’s a new discovery of Aboriginal rock art). I’ve visited a couple of these sites in Kakadu – it’s a humbling experience, to think they’ve been there for maybe 15 or 20 thousand years.
    https://www.australiangeographic.com.au/topics/history-culture/2016/03/top-7-aboriginal-rock-art-sites/

Intesha I guess it isn’t called the silly season for nothing. Always a surprise when people you haven’t seen all year text or email to say ‘we must catch up before Christmas’. Why not January, or February?

We are off to have our wills changed today – nothing too challenging, no one’s fallen out of (or into) favour. Just recognising our new GD. DD has been called to work because of the fires so we have the two and a half year old … that will be fun, particularly wrangling her on a bus and in the Public Trustee’s office.

9:10am Fri, Adelaide
    Good morning all.

I got an early start today and finally got to the supermarket to do some grocery shopping. I like going when it’s quiet – I was home again by 8:15.

I am a bit stiff and sore today. I know I overdid it with the digging yesterday, but I wanted to get all the lawn removed. I’ve started digging out the building rubble and gravel that I’ve found in the soil, but it will take quite a few more hours to finish that process and to dig through compost. I’m preparing this area for the new crepe myrtle tree.

Intesha, I think that’s the type of busyness that will do you the world of good. Time spent with family and friends is a good thing.

Penguin, well done on the 7 pounds – that’s good going with a FD that included mince pies.

Cinque, I do trim my own fringe as it needs trimming twice as often as the rest of my hair. The trick is to not cut it too short, so that if you make a hash of it the hairdresser has enough hair left to fix it. Hopefully yours will be fixed nicely.
    Enjoy your lull day, I know you look forward to those.

Betsylee, welcome to the forum and to 5:2.
    My advice is to plan ahead for FDs. Don’t be scared of hunger, it’s not for long, Plan to eat something at the times of day when you know your appetite is strongest – that differs a lot between people so do what suits you. If you try something that doesn’t work then try a different eating pattern on the next FD. It took me a few weeks to settle into a pattern that suited me well. I now only eat dinner, but allocate 100 calories to low fat milk so that I can have cups of tea throughout the day. That arrangement wouldn’t suit most people but trying all the other suggestions I found it was perfect for me. If you stick with it you will also find the patterns that’s just right for you too.

Anzac, enjoy your weekend away. Hope you can stay away from some of those salty snack foods.

Cali, how are you feeling today. If the blurriness improving?
    Cali I talked about how I use my stick blender to make hummus. I made some yesterday and took photos to show you have my little food processor bowl works in conjunction with the stick blender motor: https://imgur.com/a/Iz5qRIa

Lindsay, are you keeping the wrong colour carpet?

GDSA, I hope you new building materials arrive soon. It doesn’t seem fair that the rare time you actually get some rain up there, it manages to damage your delivery of building materials.

Quacka, how was the Christmas dinner. Hope you had a good time and managed to keep your food choices within the limits you’d set.

Thin, I was surprised by the official definition of broughaha. I’ve always thought it meant a group of people making a fuss – loudly.

Hope I haven’t missed anyone. Sorry if I did. I feel mostly caught up now, although I know I’ve missed reading some posts. Spare time was in short supply this week. The nurse isn’t coming until 1pm today so I had a free morning. I had planned to get a bit more digging done but I’m too sore, so it will have to wait.

My cherry tomato plants have been laden down with green fruit for ages. I finally picked just 2 ripening cherry tomatoes yesterday. https://imgur.com/rzj2cjk Yes they are meant to be yellow! I’m hoping this indicates more ripe fruit to come.

Have a good day all.

As usual, my post too so long to write there are new posts.

Lindsay, glad to hear that the wrong carpet colour may actually work for you.

Thin, I too am amazed by the poor choices that some people make when it comes to how they spend their food budget. I’m never sure whether it’s lack of knowledge, lack of cooking ability or something else that drives this behaviour.

Good morning every one and welcome Betsylee. I’ve been off work for 2 days with a tummy bug, on the mend now so all good.

Building update – the re-ordered materials arrived….but only half of them. Some are missing in action and the hardware store have no idea where they are or even if they were put on the truck in the first place. The other builder came yesterday to finish some bits and pieces of the back verandah. Before he left he said ‘well that’s all finished now’. I had to politely point out 2 things he had not done, couldn’t believe he didn’t notice that he had missed them.

OMG as I write the delivery truck has pulled up with the missing in action materials. Must go mow

Xmas tree up. Doesn’t feel like it has been a year since I took it down.

Couldn’t get the whole tree in as it is quite big. It is about twenty years old and still keeps on keeping on.

https://imgur.com/a/wcQsdxE

Wonderful posts from everyone. It will take a while to settle in. Yes, the weather has been absurd, with Melbourne still relatively cool and fairly dry, Sydney getting our last 3 months of rainfall in one big dump, while the heat and bushfires up north have been horrific. Not as bad as California recently though. A terrible time there.
    Had my first FD yesterday instead of today – thanks for all the advice from Anzac65, LindsayL and others. I like the idea of the encouragement on the fridge. Personally, I don’t really like having breakfast much, as it seems to make me want to eat all day. Yesterday I fasted for the day, then had something light at 6 p.m. Haven’t felt hungry today either. Finally started on a sourdough and light rye roll with almond spread around 1:30 p.m., and am still slowly eating it at quarter to four.
    The big problem for me is that I take a couple of meds, and really have trouble swallowing them just with fluid; usually swallow them with a mouthful of food. I’m going to have to find out if it’s okay to take them at the evening meal; it’s probably not a good idea to skip them entirely on FDs. Has anyone else had that problem?
    By the way, I know it’s mainly fluid, but I was one kg lighter on the scales this morning than yesterday.

Intesha, given it’s 20 years old, that tree still looks very good.

GDSA, hope nothing was missing from the second load of materials.

Betsylee, Well done on your first FD. I take a number of tablets every day. For me it’s not swallowing that’s the issue. Some of them make me nauseous if I take them without food. Those I can take without complication in the morning I do so. The others I leave until I eat. On a NFD that’s usually lunch time. On a FD it will either be dinner time, or is I have a piece of fruit mid afternoon then I’ll take it then. Best to check with your GP – some tablets may be essential in the morning some may just need to be taken at the same time each day.
    By the way, having breakfast trigger a desire to keep eating all day is very common here – many of us have the same trouble. I rarely ever eat breakfast these days as I can control me eating better if I don’t have it.
    Well done on the 1kg loss.

The nurse did my infusion without any problems.

When I woke up this morning the pain and irritation in my eye was gone and things looked much clearer. The doctor said everything looked good at this morning’s follow up appt. The lens they put in is mainly for closeup vision and that has been improving throughout the day. It should be fully settled within a week or two. It seems very strange to be able to see clearly without contact lenses or glasses.

LJoyce, it looks like your stick blender does a very good job on hummus. I like that little bowl attachment that came with it. Mine has a taller cylinder shaped container that makes it more difficult to remove the finished hummus. But I guess using a regular small bowl would work. Your first tomatoes look lovely. You should have bipunches of them soon.
    I was thinking about you and Cinque, with your chronic conditions that cause pain. Both of you seem to be so active lately and tolerating it so well. I wonder if the 5:2 is helping you both to overcome some of the symptoms? Merry also, although she hasn’t posted in a while, had been very active with traveling and visiting. Maybe the weight loss in general has helped but it would be nice if the fasting, even though it isn’t a total fast, also has played a part.

Intesha, your tree is beautiful! I’m so impressed that you have it all up and decorated. That’s a lot of work! It certainly doesn’t look it’s 20 years old because it’s in great shape.

Lindsay, I would probably have told them to put the correct carpet color in, especially after taking so long to get it done. But if it looks good in the other color, then maybe it worked out for the better. You should post a picture.

Gday, I hope the missing building materials showed up on that truck. Remodeling would be a lot more fun if trades were on time and materials were delivered as ordered. Unfortunately, your experiences are all too common. Isn’t it enough to make you want to just scream? (As if that would do any good!)

Betsy, glad your FD is going well. I’m not much of a breakfast eater either and it does make FD easier. I usually eat about 200 calories or less at lunch, mainly protein, because it doesn’t make me hungry afterward. ThenI have about 300 calories at dinner. I often have soup, simply because it’s filling. Miso can be a good choice because it’s so low in calories and vegetables can be added. You’ll discover what suits you best in the coming weeks. Many of us eat pretty much the same foods every FD, or foods from a short list. And it doesn’t matter if it’s fluid that you lost. That has to go too! I wouldn’t stop taking any prescribed meds, but once you’ve lost 4 or 5 kg, I would have bloodwork done again, especially if you take any type of BP meds. My BP went down when I lost and meds had to be adjusted.

What a day! The will-making session had to be experienced to be believed. All my will needed was an update for the newest GD to be included. Instead, the Public Trustee chap managed to delete both my children, and rearrange the document so that the bequests to the kids and grandkids only came once both my OH and I had passed (which is the point when the kids would get the lot anyway). With my OH, they managed to call his first family daughters his step-children, and double the sum of his bequests, after calling up his original will which was pre-grandchildren. The lawyer was an older chap – nothing wrong with that – but had absolutely no idea how to manage the technology. I had steam coming out of my ears. In the end I called time, and reorganised an appointment with another lawyer next Monday. Now, I just hope I don’t pop my clogs before then (knock on wood and whistle).

Cinque how is the fringe cut go? Feeling swishy and pretty now? Doesn’t good hair lighten the mood?

How is the blurriness Calif? Starting to clear? Must be a relief to have them both done now. I hope I didn’t add to your unease with all the talk of OH’s problems.

Betsy congratulations on the 1 kilo. Some of it will be water – but some of it won’t!

Such a pretty tree Intesha – nice to be getting into the spirit.

And Thin – this will give you a laugh … yesterday on a Council bus I saw some advertising. Not sure what the product was, but it was the slogan that caught my eye….”only 25 more days to whinge about Christmas’. I felt like I’d been caught out 🙂

LH love the little tomatoes – nothing like a cherry tomato just off the bush. And so packed with goodness.

G’day amazed you don’t seem at all worn down by the failings of the folk looking after your building work – was it Anzac who said, ‘people just do your job’. Hopefully it’s nearing the end.

Hi Califdreamer, helpful comments re the meds. I only take 2, plus asthma meds. Currently I’m on the lowest possible dose of BP meds, 20 mg of Micardis (normal doses are 40 or 80 mg) so I’m hopeful that if I lose enough weight, I’ll be able to stop it altogether. Same goes for my Nexium. But, still currently taking them. I’ll talk with my G.P. Online it seems that it doesn’t matter what time of day they’re taken, it just needs to be consistent, but my G.P. should make that decision.
    LindsayL, interested in your willmaking saga. What a shemozzle! Now I’ve retired I’m in the process of redoing my will, but it seems to be going much more smoothly than your situation. Hope you have better success next Monday.
    Some of you have mentioned miso soup – how do you make it to be flavorsome?

Hi troopers,

The Silly Season Challenge is up. https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-third-annual-silly-season-challenge/ Most contributors post elsewhere so it only needs to be brief (or whatever you choose).

Lindsay, yes that did make me chuckle. But how will they manage that ad? Will it be changed daily to reflect the number of days remaining? And that simple Will, oh dear. That was a lovely way to celebrate the fallen tree. If you’re keeping the carpet, I’d be asking for a discount! Anything they give you for the inconvenience would be a lot cheaper than your insistence that they do it properly.

GDSA, those tradies are really something. I bet they won’t be getting any WOM recommendations from you. I hope it’s near the end and OH can get his gear out of the boxes and move in properly.

Intesha, lovely tree. All day, I’ve been thinking you meant that you couldn’t get the whole tree into the house because it’s so big – but I’ve finally clicked that you meant ‘into the photo’.

LJ, glad you’re back and the infusion went well even if the food intake lead up wasn’t quite so perfect. I’m sure you’ll be fine.

CalifD, so pleased you’re feeling better today. Wishing you continued recovery for your eye.

Betsy, congratulations on completing your 1st FD. Who cares if it’s water weight? A kilo is a kilo is a kilo!

Selling on gumtree is very simple Lindsay, much easier than ebay which has become bogged down with so many questions, restrictions and rules. I’ve found that withholding my phone number works best in getting people to come when they say they will. It seems with the option to text comes some implicit obligation to repeatedly change the date or time, along with endless texting of poorly constructed sentences requiring me to text back. I’ve so far sold $71k worth of unwanted stuff on gumtree. How did we ever accumulate that much cr*p?

I’ve met loads of very, very interesting and lovely people through gumtree. I highly recommend it both for buying and selling although my focus is strictly on downsizing right now, not accumulating. Everyone expects a bargain on gumtree so you won’t get top dollar – and however low you price your item, someone will still make a ridiculous offer. Sometimes people qualify these lowball offers with comments such as ‘because I don’t get paid until Thursday’. And exactly why are you shopping for a Gore-tex jacket when you have NO money in the bank? If you’re cleaning out your drawers, give it a go. The rest can go to charity – in a way, it IS a form of charity!

P.S. Betsy, we have a recipe thread here: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/southern-hemispherites-fd-recipes/ On the first page, you will find a recipe for miso soup containing chicken.

Lindsay, I like thin’s idea of asking for a discount (or replacement) of the wrong colored carpet. It would cost them a lot of money to replace it. It looks like you have Yelp in Australia, although when I tried to check it out just now, it was temporarily down. (Or perhaps you have similar social media sites where you could post a review.) Posting a review of the problematic tradie on workmanship or delays is a good way to let other people know what they can expect from this company. It might also be a way to get them to make things right. Here’s an interesting article about a negative yelp review on a contractor: https://www.lifehacker.com.au/2016/06/yelp-is-awful-for-everyone-involved/
    I would not have taken the review down without the contractor making things right. (I also don’t publish reviews under my full name, but I guess the contractor in this case could guess who it was by the complaint.)
    Gday, maybe this would help for you too.

Interesting article CalifD but I’m disappointed that the complainant ultimately withdrew her review.

Good morning, a beautiful morning before a hot day in Melbourne.
    Day before fast day for me.

Betsy, fancy sneaking in your fast day a day early. Nice work and congratulations. A great start to what might become your new way of life.
    I hope it is easy to incorporate the meds you need to take.

Miso soup is my usual fast day meal. I get really nice miso paste from the Friends of The Earth shop. I soak a couple of dried shiitake mushrooms and yuba (beancurd) sticks and then use the soaking liquid as stock. Then I cook veggies (usually carrot and broccoli) with the shiitake and yuba in the stock (with extra water), and add it to miso that I have softened with warm water in my big soup bowl, and mix. I add salt to make it tasty 😉
    It is so wonderfully savoury and filling at the end of my fast day, and lasts me til the next day. Most of the chat about miso soup on this thread comes from me I think! I am looking forward to it through every fast day.

Intesha, isn’t the Christmas season busy! Your tree is just beautiful. I hope you are feeling well today and can enjoy all the lovely socialising.

Thin, you are right about food and education. Hooray for Stephanie Alexander and other iniatives like hers. YamDaisy is back up.

Lindsay I hope the carpet is a serendipitous mistake. As soon as you started describing it I thought the bit of warmth in the colour might set off your home beautifully and so I am with your artist daughter. I hope that it is so. And oh, that table sounds wonderful!

But Oh dear, what a woeful will changing story. Yes, stay alive until you get it sorted!

LJoyce, I hope your sore muscles are settling down, and that day after infusion you are doing well. Tomatoes already! And such gorgeous ones!

I had a good fringe cut. My hair is also very thick and I have a ‘widow’s peak’ that my wonderful hairdresser has to cut a lot out of. She does it so well and I feel great.

Cali I am so glad your eye has settled so quickly. Wonderful.
    And wonderful also to consider whether fasting may be helping with my Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. It might! I am definitely on a good run at the moment (touch wood and whistle) and even though I have been scarily busy with different demands on my time and energy, I haven’t yet fallen in a heap. I have definitely been able to do more physical activity lately than I have for years (2 decades). That’s more than I can attribute to carrying less weight.
    Fingers crossed it continues.

Gday… Aaaagh! You will be so glad when they have finished everything and are GONE.

Thin. well done on getting the Silly Season thread up. It is such a stressful, busy time with so many expectations to make everyone stressed and set off every bad eating habit we might have. So nice to have a place to make us think ahead, and help us get through.

Well, I am heading over to visit my grandkids before it gets too hot. best wishes to everyone for your day.

10:45am Saturday, Adelaide
    Good Morning all, welcome to December and Christmas busyness.
    On my way in from this morning’s walk I collected the heap of junk mail from the letter box. The first brochure urged shoppers to hurry and buy their last minute gifts. Last minute? It’s only the 1st December isn’t it?

Cinque, enjoy the day with your grand-daughters. Hope you can find thing to do that keep you all cool.

Lindsay, the performance of that lawyer would be laughable if it wasn’t actually serious. I wish you good health this weekend so you can safely get it fixed.

Thin, thanks for putting up the silly season challenge I’ll go across there next.

Cali, glad to hear your eye is improving and that you can now manage without contacts or glasses – that’s a big change.
    My stick blender also came with the type of just you described and I can also use that to make hummus. The little food processor attachment can process about a cup of ingredients. It does hold more than this, but doesn’t do a good job if I put more than a cup into it (which is about half full). If I’m going to manage without a food processor then having this attachment for the stick blender will continue to be essential I think.

Betsy, I had the same experience as CaliD with blood pressure meds. They had to be continually reduced while I was losing weight and now I don’t need any. Like you I also take nexium daily. It the only drug I always take in the morning, however that a personal choice as I know 2 other people who take it, and they do so in the evening.

I had a slow start to the day and didn’t get out for a walk until 9am when it was already 30C. I did manage to do just over an hour though which I’m pleased with. I’m slowly trying to extend the range that my knees will cope with without becoming inflamed.
    Odd weather though as it’s already cooling down and getting very windy – rain forecast here for this afternoon.

I saw someone riding one of these when I was walking this morning: https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2015/05/the-airwheel-x8-learning-to-ride-an-electric-unicycle-is-harder-than-it-looks/ I certainly did a double take as it zipped around the corner – with music blaring from it at full volume. I suspect he’s had a bit of practice riding this gadget as he was going very fast. My balance is not the greatest – I’d end up in an ungainly heap in the middle of the road in no time!

My weight has increased by an incredible 3kg this week. Partly due to all the discretionary foods I’ve eaten on my NFDs and also the hot weather this morning as I can see how swollen my fingers are at present, so I know I have extra fluid on board. I’m planning another controlled week for the first week in December. That should get me back to where I was a week ago before I have to start dealing with all of the extra christmas meals etc that start for me from 9th December.

Have a good day all.

I came across this and it gave me a laugh: https://www.instagram.com/p/BqzOuq8jSik/
    It is a good fit for what I’m trying to apply myself (and succeeding better some days than others).
    The original source seems to be a body builder who seems to be trying to convince his fellow body builders that they have the wrong idea about carbs.

LJ, I saw something funny about carbs today as well. It was a T-shirt that read, “I’d give up carbs but I’m no quitter”. Good to see you on the SSC and what great goals you have for December!

Good morning everyone

Sunday morning and I am up about 1kg from last week’s post FD weight. Not much considering all the food I have eaten and also that I didn’t get to do my 2nd FD last week.
    Wednesday was EFS day and then Thursday was my “I’m not going to eat until the Christmas party tonight” day. Well of course that put my focus on food and as I knew it wasn’t a proper FD I was soooooo hungry all day.
    Christmas party (well, dinner really) was at a fancy Italian restaurant. The food was really yummy but I didn’t over eat. I had squid ink linguine for dinner which was very delicious but not quite what I expected as I thought it would be black but it was just white pasta and a red tomato sauce. Not sure where the squid ink was in the dish. It was a smallish portion so I didnt feel stuffed like I sometimes do when I eat pasta now. Oh and the wines started at $38 a bottle up to $60! Most of the girls were drinking wine so I think it might have cost the boss a pretty penny just for the drinks bill. Luckily we have awesome bosses 🙂

Yesterday I went over to my friend’s house to celebrate her birthday which is the same day as mine. I helped her make three platters which had all my favourite things on them – cheese, olives, dips, salami etc. I am happy to say that yes I did eat some but I was very much in control. No EFS yesterday! Yay

Well I hope everyone has a lovely day today. I’m off to join thin’s silly season challenge

Take care x

Cool, breezy and sunny in Melbourne after a stormy night.

Fast day for me.

LJoyce, I hope that nasty inflammation settles down quickly.

And how amazing to see someone hurtling along on that gadget.

I loved the thing about carbs, exactly what I think! I have shared it around already.

I had a lovely couple of hours with the kids yesterday morning and then went and bought heaps of vegetables in the afternoon. That was wonderful but now I need to do lots of cooking so none of them go to waste. It’s a bit hard to cook on my fast day, but I will survive! And I have fresh mushrooms to have in my miso soup.

Quacka I am glad you have awesome bosses. Congratulations on yesterday’s birthday celebration!

Cheers to everyone!

Sounds like a fun weekend, Quacka!

Cinque, I bought a new kind of dried mushroom, a mixed variety, last week and I’ve accidentally soaked far too many for my miso soup today. What shall I do with the excess? Not sure whether to leave them soaking, drain and refrigerate or what? They look like beauties and I don’t want to waste them.

Enjoy cooking all the veggies. I will be doing a big veg shop tomorrow as I’m taking a large rainbow salad platter to my cryptic crossword Xmas party on Tuesday. I’ll be looking for exotic things like purple carrots. I also like black beans against white feta cheese (when I say ‘rainbow’ I mean colourful). Anyone have any other ideas?

Last night, we had the chard from our kitchen window boxes mixed with some silver beet also from the garden. I cooked them in a tiny amount of water for a couple of minutes, drained and served immediately with a tsp of apple cider vinegar. They retained their deep, vibrant green colour and were so delicious. I could’ve eaten a whole plateful of it.

FD for me. Poor DD has to work at the uni surgery today. No time to study for her final exams as the surgical rotation days are 11 hours with notes to write up afterwards & prep work to be done for the following day’s list when she gets home. I have faith that she’ll pass the finals but it’s been such a brutal & demanding course. 15 days and counting ….

It’s a beautiful, sunny morning here in Perth, perfect for a riverbank walk. Tomorrow is supposed to be 36C, eeew.

Hi Thin, the left over mushrooms should be safe in the fridge in their soaking water for a good few days. Add a pinch of salt (and even a pinch of sugar) to help preserve them, which also helps their flavour to go into the water to make nice stock. (That was a hint from an Asian friend re how her family always does them).

Your vibrant greens are making me hungry!

If I remember rightly, you won’t like my beetroot suggestion for your rainbow platter!

I’m just getting cauliflower into the oven to roast with turmeric and panch phoran for flavour. It’s Indian week here I think!

Best wishes to DD. I will fall off my chair if she doesn’t do superbly well in her exams!

12:12pm Sun, Adelaide
    Hi everyone.

Controlled NFD for me, which didn’t get off to a great start as I slept badly and then made porridge at 7am. Thankfully it didn’t spur a morning of eating which was good. However my best friend has just texted to see if she can shout me afternoon tea at a local coffee shop. Now I’m worrying about how to handle that on a controlled day. I didn’t expect any food challenges this week!

Quacka, sounds like you were able to approach the work dinner in a very sensible way. I’m not sure about the squid ink either. Sometimes it’s in the pasta and sometimes in the sauce, but you can usually see it’s there by the colour. It tends to make a tomato based sauce a purplish colour.

Thin, enjoy the new mushroom varieties. I suspect your daughter has it all under control, but it does sound like a very punishing schedule.

Cinque, what is panch phoran? I’ve never heard of that one.

Update on the veggie patch – the foliage is getting very dense and the lettuce and most of the herbs have gone to seed. https://imgur.com/a/qsNtD5p The only plants that I’m not picking yet are the podded peas (although they are only a week away I think) and the climbing beans. I picked over half a kilo of snow peas on Friday and took half down to my niece. I’ve been snacking on the rest by dipping them in hummus.

Hope the fasters have an easy day.

This is OHs garlic harvest for this year. After being planted too late and not long enough in the ground, I think he has done very well! Looking forward to some tzatziki with our cucumbers and garlic and a myriad of other garlic based dishes!

Great garlic, Mr Q!

Cinque, thank you for the tips on saving my ‘shrooms. So glad I asked you because I’d never have considered saving the water for stock.

LJ, your veggie patch looks spectacular. We’re continuing to get vine tomatoes from the seeds I saved last year. I love the way they grow in sets of about eight. They’re so full of flavour, DD says they’re like fireworks going off in your mouth. Thank you both for your kind words about her exams.

FD going well so far but I think I’ll be ready for soup at 2pm. I woke at 4am again which is becoming an annoying habit. It also means I’m asleep on the couch at 8.30pm. I’m sure I could get back to sleep if it wasn’t daylight shortly after I get up to visit the loo.

Thx thin 🙂

I am so looking forward to tomorrow’s FD. I’m never thought I would say that but I have often thought it over the last few months. I have two normal weeks ahead. OH has his Christmas party on Friday but I am not going. I will have the opportunity to have a nice light dinner on my own.

Roll on tomorrow and please , everyone , post lots of posts! I love reading them and no matter how random, they are a great distraction. Post about gardens. Shoes. Food. Medieval castles (how awesome penguin! ). Health. Exercise. Weather. All of the above and much much more.

C u tomorrow x

I can’t wait 🙂

Hello everyone!

Eek, 33 new emails in my 5:2 inbox and I have to prepare for a scary workshop today that I’m running. I will catch up soon I promise!

Weekend was awesome and the best part is my friend who has just been through cancer treatment had a ball. It was so great to spend time with my closest friends. The concert day was SO hot but still great. Yes, I ate too much but we took lots of cut-up fruit and raw veges and I tried to have more of that than the nibbles so hopefully not too much damage done. Either way, 5:2 to the rescue this week

I hope everyone is ok and I so look forward to reading your posts soon

A grey but pleasant morning, however I have a scratchy throat so I hope it doesn’t turn into anything worse.

LJoyce, panch phoran, yum! It is a 5 spice mixture used in Eastern India. The spices are fenugreek seed, nigella seed, cumin seed, black mustard seed and fennel seed in equal quantities. I made up a little jar of it when I tried a ‘dry potato’ recipe and it was so good. It s so easy to just mix a couple of teaspoons of it through veggies to roast, or to fry some first before braising veggies, and it gives a distinctive taste that I love.

Your veggie patch is extraordinary! I feel like mine is growing in slow motion, in comparison. Isn’t it a treat to be eating home grown produce.

You will love this (and thinking of Quacka needing entertainment) (and everyone else) https://www.facebook.com/dailygoalcast/videos/1953302324971677/
    (in conjunction with 5:2 ofcourse)
    It is Michael Pollan, the ‘eat food, not too much, mostly plants’ guy.

Quacka, magnificent garlic harvest! Well done Mr Quacka! Ooh, you will love eating through that lot!

Thin, I wonder what you will make with the rest of the lovely mushrooms!
    That 4am wake up is tricky. I hope you got to sleep past it today.

Quacka, isn’t it lovely to look forward to your fast day. I am hoping we can give you lots of distraction.

Anzac, hooray for your wonderful weekend. And cheers to your friend. Eep, what a busy day. Power through!

Woohoo it is time for day-after-fast-day-breakfast. Best meal.

Cheers all!

Anzac, good to hear that you enjoyed your weekend with your friends. How was the music? Don’t forget to head over to the SSC and state your December commitments out loud.

Cinque, the mushrooms were the best ever. They were quite a bit more expensive than the usual shiitakes that I buy for my miso soup. I hope the departure from the stated recipe didn’t add too many extra calories. One of them looked like a sea anemone, was dark and flower shaped and had such an interesting texture. To answer your question, I will be doing the same with the remaining mushrooms. Will it be OK to use that stock with the miso paste or should I stick to water?

Facebook is freaky. I clicked on your video link. Part way through, an ad popped up for a local business that we’re currently using, but whose website I have not looked at (because we were already familiar them). How can this even happen? I am so paranoid – as you know, I don’t even use FB! Anyway, Pollan makes some valid points.

Bracing myself for 36C today. But it’s back to the low 20s tomorrow so I can handle one day.

10:30am Monday, Adelaide
    Good morning SHs

Cinque, thanks for the video. It is a pretty simple and useful message. Although a lot of people think home cooking involves starting with a lot of things in jars and packets which is probably worse than some takeaways.
    Thanks for the explanation of panch phoran. As I read the list of ingredients it started sounding lovely, until I got to fennel – not a fan.

Quacka, that’s an impressive garlic crop. Will that last you all year?
    I am joining you in a FD today. I’m planning to distract myself by working on the large hole in the front lawn that I need to remove rocks from and dig compost through.

Anzac, it sounds like a lovely weekend. Glad you enjoyed yourself and I’m sure 5:2 will sort out any damage.
    Good luck with the workshop.

Thin, I didn’t get any adds on the facebook link, although I wasn’t logged into facebook, so maybe that helps.

Have a good day all.

I wasn’t logged on LJ! I just clicked on Cinque’s link. (Pls excuse error above which should have read ‘already familiar with them’ of course.) So true about what people think re: preparing home cooked meals. I admit I find it a chore but one that I think is worth doing every single day that I can. I have used your idea of working out the plants first and then adding some form of protein rather than the other way around. It works well. One night last week, the OFMs agreed to get takeaway because I wasn’t available in the afternoon or evening. They both went to our local kebab shop at different times and both independently told me it was awful and how much they appreciated my cooking. That was a nice boost.

The mushrooms I mentioned earlier are called Chinese Black Fungi. Please don’t google them, they look awful in the photos that popped up!

Have a great day all.

I have read all of your lovely posts and thoroughly enjoyed them. I won’t be able to comment on everything as the workshop, which went really well, unfortunately resulted in about 17 million action items for me to do – before 3.00pm tomorrow!

Thin thanks for the Christmas challenge. I’ve put my pledge up – I hope I understood what we need to do/state. Glad your OFM’s appreciate your cooking and best wishes to DD and her exams

Cali, so glad you are feeling better and your eyesight is clearing

LJ, Hope the inflammation has settled down. And that 3kg will be mostly fluid for sure.

Cinque hope you enjoyed your post FD brekky.

Quacka – that garlic! I love garlic and often double or more than what the recipe states

Gday, you will be so pleased when all the building is finished and you can see the back of those dratted tradies!

Betsy, glad you have already found a way that works for you and your first FD went so well. Congrats!

Lindsay – I say it again re your Lawyer
”people
just do your job!”

Intesha, great tree! We will put ours up next weekend

FD tomorrow and Thursday and they are VERY much needed

Cinque, how true is it about cooking at home! I am trying to get my work friend to cook more at home, for her health and also to save her money. She often buys the pre-packed salads at the supermarket which cost between $6 and $8. I encouraged her to cook her own ingredients (she usually likes a Caesar salad) then use them for her lunch for the next couple of days. She did this once lol.

FD going really well today. Attitude is everything!

1:40pm Mon, Adelaide

Just taking a break from digging. So far I’ve spent 2 1/2 hours and I’m only half done. It’s good exercise, but I expect lots of joint inflammation over the next few days.

This is a photo of the area I’m digging up, and removing rocks/tiles/bricks/glass… as I go. Then I’m putting some of the soil back mixed with compost and straw. I hope my new tree appreciates all this effort.
    https://imgur.com/a/q7jVW0u During the digging I’ve come across quite a few worms. Some unfortunately have met the sharp end of my spade. I think the worm in the second photo was trying to avoid the spade and managed to tie himself in a knot! I have never seen that before. I did untangle him before setting him free.

Time to head back out. If I don’t move soon I won’t want to move again all day.

LJ, your garden is growing beautifully. What type of tree are you planting? I think you were talking about it several weeks ago but now I forgot. Your soil looks like ours. Is it mostly clay or do you have sand mixed in? Lots of rocks, just like here. I’ve never seen a worm tie himself in a knot before! How nice of you to untangle him. 😊

Thin, tell your DD good luck on her finals. It must be a lot of pressure. I’m sure she will be glad when they’re over!

Cinque, that spice blend sounds good. I may have to try making some. I have most of those spices, but many are ground rather than seeds. I liked the link about home cooking too.

Quacka, what an amazing garlic crop! I love the way OH has them all hung up. That ought to last you a very long time.

Anzac, I’m glad your workshop went so well. Even if it resulted in more work for you!

The vision in my eye continues to improve. I can usually read the small print on my iPad without glasses now. I have 3 more days of 2 or 3 types of eydrops 4 times a day. Then I go to twice per day for 3 weeks. It’s so nice to see well without glasses or contact lenses.

6:30pm Mon, Adelaide

I’m feeling relaxed and tired. I overdid the digging today and upset my back – had to resort to some of my strong pain killers. Hopefully it will calm down soon. Although I’ve agreed to help my niece shift gravel tomorrow – probably not the wisest decision. Given that she’s taking away the white gravel that I have out the front and don’t want there, I really need to help.

Cali, I’m planting a crepe myrtle in the front yard. After seeing the picture of yours I tried to find one at a the plant nursery. They had a new variety called “Diamonds in the Dark” with the dark purple foliage and a smaller growing habit. Most nurseries offer them for sale in early summer so I’ll need to get it soon. Although I plan to wait until late summer to plant it so that it doesn’t get heat stress. I’ll keep it on the back verandah and water it daily until then.
    You are are right that my soil is heavy clay. I removed some of it along with most of the builders rubble. Any very small gravel I left there as it will help with drainage. I dug a bag of gypsum into the bottom of the hole and then mixed the remaining clay soil with straw and compost. Hopefully that will lighten everything up as it breaks down.

So good to hear that your sight has improved that much.
    I have a cataract forming in my left eye. It’s not impacting me greatly yet, so I think I have a couple of years before I need to have it removed.

Normally I’ve cooked and eaten my FD dinner well before this time. Too tired to cook but I will go and do it shortly. I have bok choy, snow peas and broccoli for a stir fry and because I’m not adding any meat I can have luxury of satay sauce with it.

Quacka, hope your FD has ended well too.

Joined the December2018 Challenge and just finished my first FD with it; that’s two done now. Neither has been difficult, and today was relatively easy despite exercising and doing some gardening. Good. Aiming to lose 4 kg by the end of December despite all the Christmas goodies around. Have to lose a LOT overall. This will be a long haul, and maintenance will become a WOL.

Thanks thinatlast for the recipe thread – very useful. And thanks too to Cinque for her actual miso recipe.

Califdreamer, hope your eye has cleared fully now.

LJoyce, great that you could bring your meds down to nothing. My BP med is so low that I’m hopeful that with weight loss and exercise I’ll be able to stop it. I also know that once I lose about 10 kg I’ll be able to go off the Nexium as well. I’m hoping. Sorry to read of your back pain due to the gardening. I wish I could grow some vegetables. I started a vegie patch some years ago, and loved the homegrown vegies for a couple of years. But then a possum suddenly showed up, possibly dumped, and that was the end of the vegies. Yeah, I know I could have put mesh across the whole patch, but in the end took the line of least resistance.

Anzac65, glad you had a great w/e.

Just a note about my name – lee isn’t a surname. When I had to choose an online name, I decided to use a “pet name” my mother sometimes called me, Betsylee. She also sometimes called me “SusieSal” but I like the other better.

Good morning everyone.

LJ, I hope you are not too sore today. Enjoy your day after FD.

Cali, my OH has hung up the garlic on our deck to dry and cure. It is to try and stop it going mouldy and make it keep longer. We eat tonnes of garlic and, like Anzac, always add extra in to recipes etc. I love Tzatziki and when we have our own cucumbers and garlic it is truly amazing. We also have a lemon tree in our backyard and sometimes I use the juice from the lemons as well, except they are a bit sweet and I like the sourness in my Tzatziki. I just need to make the yoghurt next and the whole thing could be home-grown.

Betsy, so glad you are finding your FDs easy. You said you have a lot of weight to lose and so it’s great to break it down into closer goals. It is rewarding when you reach one and then can decide what the next goal will be. Good luck with your 4kgs before end of December. You can do it!

Cali, it’s great to hear your vision is improving. It’s amazing what medicine can do with the eyes now and we are lucky that we have that option.

thin, where did you buy the mixed dried mushrooms? I have been using the shitake ones sometimes in my miso but I would like to try different ones. I suppose I could find some online maybe.

Well it’s NFD for me today. Yesterday’s FD was easy up until the last hour or two before I went home from work. I had been planning on having a big plate of veggies with a small piece of steak but I needed to buy broccoli after work. Can you believe the supermarket didn’t have any broccoli at all? Something to do with the weather they say. I bet if I could have been bothered to go to the other supermarket they would have had some.
    Anyway so a slight change of plans for dinner. I made a big frying pan of veggie rice (cauliflower rice) with snow peas, peas, corn, carrot, spring onions and a splash of soy sauce and my chilli jam for flavour. Another frying pan of sautéed kale with tonnes of garlic and an onion and then cooked up the steaks. When I was eating I mixed up the veggie rice and the kale on my plate and the combination was really yummy. Actually everything was so delicious and I was very satisfied for not many calories.
    I read on another thread here that food tastes so good on a FD and the following day and I think that is true. Someone replied that absence makes the heart grow fonder but it definitely heightens my sense of taste, not so sure about my heart lol.
    So I have the leftover veggie rice and kale for lunch with the other half of the steak sliced up finely.

After that long waffle, weight this morning is at all time low of 67.1kg. Last week’s damage is undone 🙂

While I was awake in the middle of the night I was thinking about those of us that weigh every day. That topic is for another post though because I think it will also be a long one!

Hope you all have a lovely day. I think you are on a FD today, Anzac, so I wish you a nice easy one.

Take care all x

Good morning all. FD today, weight 69.7.

Had lunch out with a friend on Saturday and then dinner with the my son and family last night for my grandsons 20th birthday. Can’t believe he is 20.

Been rather down since Saturday when my friend who has been my best friend since we were 5, told me she is retiring in two weeks, selling up and moving north. There has been no mention of any of this and in fact she has been delaying her retirement, even though she is 68, because her partner has had a double hip op and not able to get any benefits due to her working. To be fair her daughter and family are moving there because of a work opportunity and she has 3 school age children.

We have been through all of life’s very hairy stages together and I just felt like another piece is now being torn apart. Selfish I know, not the end of the world but I feel that once she moves and gets caught up in this new life I’ll lose a huge part of my support. Things are only going to deteriorate with my parents and I already feel isolated. Anyway it’s just a woe is me moment and I needed to get it off my chest.

Yes I can go and visit but I don’t like her partner even though I’ve never given any indication that is the case and I would need a very good excuse to explain staying in a hotel

Betsylee you are doing very well. This is not a diet but a life changing experience. I have been doing 5:2 now for 200 weeks. I had so many misgivings in the beginning never thinking I could not eat every day and with the encouragement of these wonderful people on the forum I got through some very dark times. I’m not at the weight I could be but at the moment I am happy where I am. My starting weight was 87.1. I did get down to 65.7 last year and will get there again.

Cali so glad to hear your eyesight is improving.

LJoyce you are a machine. Such an inspiration on just doing it regardless of any personal issues.

Anzac sounds like you had a wonderful weekend. I was only thinking the other day that if at any stage you felt like having a coffee with another 5:2er maybe we could get together seeing as we do not live that far apart. I have met Cinque as you know and also Merry.

Quacka you make me feel hungry reading your amazing dinner. So simple really but sounded delicious.

Well going to finish off some more cookies. My heart is not in but I had them in the freezer and I really want to get them all finished and out of the way.

Have a good day everyone.

Viewing 50 posts - 18,301 through 18,350 (of 28,012 total)

You must be logged in to reply.