Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,907 replies, has 831 voices, and was last updated by  thinatlast 4 days, 8 hours ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 16,401 through 16,450 (of 28,011 total)

• Cinque, te he, yes my travel scales had better be on the their best behaviour while they’re away! Re: chatting to DD, isn’t it so different from when we were travelling back in the day? Our families wouldn’t hear from us for months on end, nor we them. Then we’d finally arrive at a pre-determined Amex office in some far flung destination like Khartoum, show our travellers’ cheques and receive the stack of waiting snail mail from family and friends.

Good morning everyone

FD for me today. Not happy with the scales after last week’s FDs so am going to try a new approach this week. I am going to do a Monday and Tuesday FD. SO yep, I will probably be back here tomorrow šŸ™‚ šŸ™‚

Cinque glad you are enjoying your pork medallions and asian salad šŸ™‚

Hope everyone is doing well. Thinking of you that are going through a hard time at the moment. x

Merry, great to see you back here! Itā€™s so nice that you and OH were able to meet the Penguins on your trip. And nice you were able to leave your Australian summer there for them! Weā€™ve had hot dry weather here too the past couple of days. It was over 38 today. I like warm weather but there are fires all over the state already. Fire season is usually later in the summer but it seems like it gets longer every year with the climate change. They are far enough away from here so far but even though we canā€™t smell smoke now, the air quality isnā€™t great.

LJ, Iā€™m sorry to hear that you have a lingering lung infection. Do you still ferment your own kefir? Iā€™ve read that the home fermented stuff has some of the best probiotics. That could be helpful in restoring your gut bugs. I hope you get to feeling better soon. Does your new place feel like home yet?

Cinque, rye bread has always been one of my favorites. But I’ve always had problems with getting it to rise when I tried to make it myself. I bet the yoghurt will help. The cognitive reappraisal sounds interesting. I havenā€™t heard of it before. Iā€™ll have to look it up. Maybe it would help with stress.

Quacka, good luck with your Monday and Tuesday FD this week? Have you done 2 days in a row before? Iā€™ve always found it harder without at least a day between.

Thin, how did your Sunday FD go? Tomorrow is my Monday FD. I was just under 60 this morning so itā€™s needed. Re talking to your daughter while traveling, even in the last 5 or 6 years technology has moved ahead so quickly. Itā€™s hard to imagine what things will be like in another 5 years. Iā€™ve read that the smartphones that we have today have more computing ability that the huge computers that put the first men on the moon years ago. The fact that weā€™re all communicating here from all over the world and have become friends is kind of mind boggling when you stop to think about it.

Monday check in . A strange thing for an Englishman to say – we got quite excited and enthusiastic yesterday afternoon because we thought it was going to rain. It didn’t.

I have been guilty of eating ice cream most days, so unsurprisingly I have gained a pound. After reaching my initial target weight some time ago I set a new target, seven pounds further down. I achieved that and relaxed. My fast days have not been rigorous since then and I have regained that weight. Still a long way below where I started 5:2, but unsatisfactory, so back to the old discipline. No excuses – after a few years of this life style we know how to do it.

Cali, we are having our own fire season. There are now multiple fires in the north and some have merged. The army are working with the fire services and the RAF are providing helicopter support. The way things are going, they will be there until we get rain and none is forecast.

Thin, that technology keeps moving and if you don’t move with it you are lost. Before I retired I worked in the introduction of cutting edge IT. Now I have to get the handbook out to persuade my car computer to change it’s behaviour and sometimes it won’t.

Hi all,

Iā€™ve been happier with the last two NFDs. I decided to expand the use of my ā€œdinnerā€™s doneā€ mantra to stop snacking through the afternoon. For the last two days Iā€™ve used it at the end of lunch to tell myself the meal is finished and any other food I feel like will need to wait for the next meal. I havenā€™t been restrictive with my food choices, just timing. I felt I should concentrate on the healthier eating pattern first before tackling anything else. Itā€™s been fine actually, so I hope this continues.
    Tomorrow I fast.

Penguin, hope you get some rain for those fires soon.

Merry, glad you are home safe and well.

Cali, Iā€™m not making my own kefir but I did track down one of the two premade ones that I trust and am drinking some every day.

The phone cables from the street to my house were connected today and the internal phone port goes in Wednesday. Then I just have to wait for Telstra to connect me to the exchange. So still no internet but I am at least getting closer.

Hope everyone is well.

Good morning everyone,
    So happy to wake up this morning to news that the boys lost for a week in the Thai caves have been found safe. Hooray.

It is day before fast day for me, and after a snacky day yesterday I am going to do the ‘no snacks’ regime like you LJoyce. Meal, then nothing until the next meal.

I am having my rye bread for breakfast, it came out so nicely I nearly took a photo. Smaller than my normal loaf ofcourse, but then I am able to slice it thinner.

Thin, it is so true about the difference in communication. My sister found a letter I had written to her, just after I had moved to Borroloola to teach, and made a copy for me. When I was there (1989) the mail came once a week on the plane (if I remember rightly).

Quacka, how are you feeling with your back to back fasting. Well it should definitely give your system a shock and hopefully result in some nice loss of excess weight. Today will be a hungry day, but I hope you enjoy every minute of it. It will make you feel alive!

Cali that fire weather sounds awful. It is true here too that the fire season is starting earlier and ending later. Also the cyclone season. šŸ™
    I wonder if the cognitive reappraisal would help with stress. It did sound like it is mostly used to get through a shorter term difficulty https://digest.bps.org.uk/2018/06/29/a-mental-technique-calledcognitive-reappraisal-makes-long-distance-running-feel-easier/ .

Penguin, it must be hard to stop eating icecream in that heatwave, but hopefully you will feel good to get back into your old discipline. Good luck.

LJoyce, I hope today is a good day, I’ll think of you when I start wanting a snack and have to speak to myself sternly! So glad your internet connection is getting closer. Those antibiotics should be starting to kick in and you will feel so much better without having to fight an infection.

Breakfast is finished and there is a nice food break until lunch time. I will head off now and write a list of things to fill it up with.

Cheers all.

Good Morning Everyone

It’s the start of my B2B FD’s and I am feeling really positive. Actually its 9am and I am already on my 3rd cup of tea!! I have had another rough night’s sleep with lots of bad dreams and waking up feeling hungry. Believe me, there were times I was glad to wake up though, to realise that it was all just a dream!

I had a small portion of savoury mince last night. Didn’t count the calories exactly but I was not overly full when I finished dinner. I actually wanted to eat more but I didn’t. Tonight I am having a cauliflower and broccoli soup that I made on Sunday. I worked out the calories in it and they are actually quite high due to the 250ml of cream! Who knew that 250ml cream is over 800 calories!!!!!! I have a portion ready that will be under the 500 calorie limit. I have OH’s dinner half prepared too as he is not a big fan of soup.

This morning I weighed myself and I am down 900 grams. I’m hoping I am down more tomorrow and am already planning a light day of eating tomorrow. It’s amazing how much you can eat, and still not have super high calorie count, if you choose the right foods. I am thinking of a tuna salad for lunch and chicken and asian salad for dinner šŸ™‚ Maybe I will look for a broccoli apple salad as broccoli is great here at the moment and it is cheap.

Cali, I hope you are doing ok. I have been thinking of you. I honestly can’t remember if I have done a proper B2B FD before. I think I may have tried it but failed miserably.

Cinque, I think I have my head in the right space today to make this succeed. I usually find a Monday FD easy so I am hoping if I get them out of the way early in the week it will work for me. I plan to eat lightly for the whole week and stay away from those **** beers.

Hi Ljoyce. That’s great that you are taking steps to get back on track. I always believe the little things we do can make a huge difference.

To everyone else, I hope you are all doing well. I will probably post again this afternoon LOL

Take care xx

Oh, I forgot to ask again….

Has anyone tried almond milk? I bought some last week and made a white sauce with it which actually turned out very well. The next day I put some in my first cup of tea and it went strange in the cup. Almost like it had curdled. I’m curious why this happened. Any ideas?

Hi Quacka, I’ve been using almond & coconut milk in my coffee on FDs for years now. I found one that yields 80mls for only 17 calories. I’m addicted to coffee but just can’t handle it black so this is my FD compromise. Sadly, it doesn’t froth but that’s a small price to pay for remaining size 10. When I open a new box, it’s lovely and creamy. I freeze the remainder in 80mls portions for future FDs. The frozen portion do sometimes have a strange, curdled appearance but, when stirred well into the coffee, it looks OK again. I don’t know why it does this. I heat it in the microwave for 30 secs before adding to the freshly ground coffee. It almost feels normal. A former neighbour told me that she makes her own almond milk as needed. I haven’t tried that yet.

Wow, you are really in the zone! Good luck with your B2B. I agree, if you choose the correct foods, there’s no need for hunger on FDs. On the days that I do feel hungry, it tends to be more to do with what I ate the day before. I try to embrace this feeling as a reminder of what I did wrong the day before. Not that it stops me from doing it again. Any chance of posting the broccoli soup recipe please? Could it be frozen?

CalifD, thanks for asking. My Sunday FD was great. OH was impressed with my discipline when we were handed two free frozen yoghurts with choice of toppings on our way home from our walk. A new shop had just opened round the corner and they were giving the first 100 free. I carried mine home and put it in the freezer. It was extra delicious when I returned from bridge on Monday! Of course, I could have just declined but 5:2 means not having to miss out, doesn’t it?

I had a terrible night, also filled with bizarre nightmares. I’ve woken up late and have run out of time so will have to respond to the other posters later. We are walking into the city to exchange some $$.

Quacka, just quickly, this is what my ex-neighbour wrote: “soak 2 cups of almonds overnight, changing the water a couple of times. After 10 hours I rinsed the almonds until the water was clear. Place almonds in a blender with filtered water.” That sounds like quite a batch but I believe she’s drinking it as part of some detox programme..

Hi everyone
    Good on you Quacka for doing the b2b fasts. Iā€™ve done it successfully but only do so if I have to- if Iā€™ve got something on all the other days. I prefer to ā€œtrickā€ my body by spreading the FD out.
    I had almond milk in my coffee accidentally the other day. Weā€™d run out of milk and had a long life opened and I used my daughterā€™s almond milk instead. It wasnā€™t too bad.
    Iā€™m joining you Cinque – no snack NFDs. I was doing really well with my nFD until Saturday night with the girls and yesterday the grandkids were here.
    I fasted Sunday and again today and Iā€™ll fast on Friday too. My DH is coming home today or tomorrow and has already organized to have 7 friends over on Saturday night for Christmas In July. Itā€™s been easier for me with less socializing- the scales are being very nice to me
    Okay I better go. The granddaughters stayed overnight and need some supervision:)
    Have a good one! Xx

Thanks thin and StayinThin for your support. It’s almost 3pm and I have been doing ok. I’ve been very busy today at work which always helps.

I mentioned to a couple of the girls at work that I am on a B2B FD.I still get the unsupportive comments. I don’t know why I even mention it. This time it didn’t bother me, I just laughed them off.
    Here’s the recipe for the soup. Next time I will only use about half the cream it states in the recipe if I use it at all. The curried chickpeas are a nice touch. Its from taste.com.au if anyone wants to look up the proper recipe. (I didn’t have leek so used brown onion.) thin I think it could be frozen although I’m not really sure.

Cauliflower and broccoli soup with crispy curried chickpeas
    ā€¢ 40g butter
    ā€¢ 1 leek, pale section only, chopped
    ā€¢ 2 garlic cloves, chopped
    ā€¢ 800g broccoli, cut into florets
    ā€¢ 500g cauliflower, cut into florets
    ā€¢ 4 cups (1L) salt-reduced vegetable or chicken stock
    ā€¢ 1/2 cup (125ml) thickened cream
    ā€¢ 2 teaspoons olive oil
    ā€¢ 400g can chickpeas, rinsed, drained
    ā€¢ 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
    ā€¢ 1 teaspoon sea salt flakes
    ā€¢ 2 tablespoon flat-leaf parsley, chopped
    METHOD
    ā€¢ Step 1 Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook the leek and garlic for 5 mins or until softened. Add the broccoli and cauliflower and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 mins or until starting to soften.
    ā€¢ Step 2 Add the stock and 3/4 cup (185ml) of water. Bring to a simmer. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 mins or until vegetables are tender. Use a stick blender to blend the vegetable mixture until smooth. Stir in half the cream. Season with sea salt.
    ā€¢ Step 3 Meanwhile, heat the oil in a medium frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook the chickpeas, stirring, for 5 mins or until crisp. Add the curry powder and salt. Cook for 1 min or until fragrant.
    ā€¢ Step 4 Serve the soup topped with the chickpeas and parsley.

Hi all hope everyone is going well. Today we put OH’s house up for sale…..the impending move into my house etc is becoming very real indeed.

My weight is still remaining steady but my biggest downfall at the moment is red wine….averaging 2 glasses a night. OH likes to do the candlelight dinner thing which is so sweet and I dont have the heart to tell him i shouldn’t be indulging. But i guess if i do paleo/low carb 90 % of the time its got to be a good thing.

Someone asked earlier if i was having a white wedding. It will be extremely simple with just our children, OH’s grandchildren, my mum and my brother and his partner ( the only sibling i have contact with). But in saying that OH’s side amounts to 26 people. Our thoughts for now is that it will be on a beach and back to a pub for nibbles and drinks. Simple and cost effective.

Gotta go have a dental appointment x

Hi everyone,
    and thank you for the welcomes back.

Penguin, just discovered there was quite heavy extended rain here a week or 2 ago. Trying to send you some but it doesnā€™t seem to be working. Hope you get rain soon, especially up north, for the fires, and for your garden.

Congrats to everyone keeping on track, those whoā€™ve achieved successful Fasting Days, and those whoā€™ve worked out a bit more of their own personal food/drink puzzle – what works for them and what doesnā€™t.

Check in:

FD yesterday not as well done as Iā€™d like – I didnā€™t write it all down and count the calories, but Iā€™m guessing 700-800cals rather than my regular FD 360cals. My body feels fluidy around the hands, wrists, lower legs, but Iā€™m still recovering from changing from English time to Australian Eastern Standard Time.

Weird result on weigh-in today:
    Sunday: 65.8kg NonFD
    Mon: 65.8kg. FD < 800 cals
    Today: 66.2kg. up 0.4kg

So Iā€™m still jet-lagged, Iā€™d say, and not functioning normally yet. It will probably do a funny drop some time in the next week or 10 days when my body clock has re-adjusted.

Before the 2 flights home from England I surprised myself by averaging about 10,000 steps a day for the last 7 days. Much easier when not attending to the normal daily household/life things. Today Iā€™ve deliberately gone out and slow walked 5000 steps to try to help my body adjust. Sunday and Monday I did little other than opening the house back up, sleep, partial unpack, sleep, grocery shop, sleep, do I small wash, talk with family, sleep, Drs appt, sleep, etc.

Stay well and Fasting everyone,
    Happy Fast Day to the Tuesday fasters, and the Wednesday fasters for tomorrow,
    Onwards and Downwards,
    Merry

Merry, I read recently that it takes at least five days to fully recover from jet-lag and that in those five days you should take no important decisions. That could explain some of the strange results that come out of meetings by senior politicians who fly round the world, meet for a day and then fly back.

Quacka. Unfortunately the negative response is pretty much the norm. Even people who tell me that I am looking fitter than before disapprove of the way I got here. The two diabetic relatives I gained through family marriages both insist that it is dangerous for me and couldn’t work for them. Fortunately OH is also a convert.

Gday, Red wine is one of the things our gut biome likes, so not all bad.

First fast day completed, down one pound.

Good evening, just a quick note, I’ll catch up properly tomorrow.

But incase you are interested “The Big Crash Diet Experiment” is on ABC TV tonight at 9:30.
    It is about a total food replacement diet that is 800 calories a day and the new science around it. https://www.phc.ox.ac.uk/news/the-big-crash-diet-experiment
    LJoyce, reading about it made me think of the diet you were doing before we met you.

PS And the second Insight Program on ‘Exercise’ SBS at 8:30

Back from the city with a fat wad of SL rupees. It was a good walk too. It used to be ‘one more sleep’ but now it’s ‘one more FD’ before we leave.

Thanks for the recipe Quacka. I have some of those ingredients and would like to make the soup and freeze it for our return. I’ve also stocked up on cauliflower soup for my immediate resumption of two FDs vs. the 6:1 I’ll be practicing while away. I hope you’ve had a successful second FD and closed your ears to the office dissenters. As CalifD says (or thinks) as she regards the overweight naysayers, “and how’s that working for you?”.

Thanks for the info Cinque. Are you fasting with me tomorrow? It would be fun to read some old snail mails. Good job with the rye. Nice to hear you sounding so much better, LJ and getting back on track. Good luck with the house sale GDSA. I hope you are as successful as LJ.

Merry, regarding jetlag, take it from the professional pilot; it takes one day to recover from every hour of time zone you’ve passed through. However, for some lucky individuals like our DD, there is no such thing as jet lag. Take it easy!

I am behind again. I’ll have to leave it there. Hi Stay, Penguin, Arel, et al.

8am Wednesday

Hi everyone. Just checking in to let you all know I’m still here and thinking of you all.

Haven’t had time to catch up on recent posts – maybe tonight!

Off to yoga this morning. Overcast day and cool – I do love it when the Sun shines though, miss it in Winter!

Enjoy whatever you are getting up to and bye for now!

Good morning. I haven’t been outside but there was a glorious red sky out my window as the sun was rising. A good omen for the day, I hope.

Ooh Thin, that lovely Sri Lankan Money. Exciting times!

My jet lag quote is (I was told) a native American one: “When the man rides, the soul walks”. So after a big journey you have to sit down and wait for your soul to catch up with you. Which is exactly what I felt like after flying home from Europe.

Thin, your DD must have a flying soul.

I had my no snack day ok, but then had such an enormous evening meal that today’s fast day might only cancel it out. šŸ™
    Oh well at least it will do that.
    So yes, I am fasting with you today, Thin!

Stay and LJoyce, I hope your snackfree day went well.
    Stay, Wow, Christmas in July. I hope it is wonderful fun. And you are heading to Uganda at the end of the month! Busy busy. Cheers to the grandkids and good luck to you managing to look after yourself through it all!

Quacka, wow, you are giving your body and your brain a good wake up call. I hope last night was not as rough, and you wake up feeling very pleased with yourself this morning.
    Good luck with that bit of Dry July you are doing.

I asked my daughter about your almond milk because she was drinking it a while ago, and she just said yes, it does that.

GDay, So exciting to hear about your wedding plans , it will be lovely.
    I hope the dental appt went well.
    I might be showing you all exactly why I don’t have a husband (irritating person that I am) but my immediate thought reading your post is to say do talk to that lovely man of yours about drinking. There is more and more evidence that alcohol is better to be a special treat, than a part of every day. There must be a way for you to have gorgeous candlelight dinners without glasses of wine every night.
    I worry that if it becomes your daily habit it could undermine all the work you are doing for your health.

I watched those two TV shows last night and found them both interesting. It was very clear in the crash diet one that they realised the problem with crash diets is about how well people are prepared to manage eating afterwards. And I think that is true about every diet that has an end ie that people do until they reach their goal weight.
    It is exactly what Dr Xand said in the show I went to, it doesn’t seem to matter what diet people use, they can all work, what makes the difference to longterm health is the changes made to eating and activity once you reach that goal weight.

Must run away, best wishes everyone.

PS Good morning Arelkade, lovely to see your post when I finally hit ‘submit’ on mine. Enjoy that yoga.

Cinque, you are the least irritating person I know. You said what I was thinking about red wine. Unfortunately, there’s no getting around alcohol being a carcinogen no matter how many studies show it’s good for us.

I didn’t see the programme but, knowing what we all know here, it’s hard to believe that we once thought it would work to reach a goal weight and promptly resume our previous eating patterns.

Quacka, what’s the result this morning?

Anyone else fasting with me and Cinque? I’m having a poached egg, 50gms smoked salmon and whatever the broccoli calorie equivalent of 80gms asparagus works out to be. OH is having a pork medallion and everything else left in the fridge.

Good Morning everyone :):)

Two smiles from me this morning as I am very happy!! I weighed myself this morning and in two days I have ‘lost’ 1.7kg. Now my aim is to keep it off.

It was a strange FD yesterday. I had a great morning, not feeling hungry at all. I drank several teas and a herbal peppermint ginger tea and was fine. After lunch time I started to feel a bit hungry. It wouldn’t go away so I made a vegetable stock drink (just a fifth of a massel vegetable stock cube in lots of hot water). I also had a lebanese cucumber. Well that set me off. I was really hungry by about 3:30pm. I went hunting around in the work kitchen looking for food. Luckily there was nothing to eat so I just drank some more water. I usually drink about 2 litres a day excluding drinks.

All afternoon all I could think about was my dinner. This is where the strangeness comes in to it. At 5pm I walked out the door of work and realised that I was no longer hungry!! I couldn’t believe it. As soon as I got home I started to get our dinners ready and I ate a very small carrot as the hunger was returning.
    When I sat down to dinner I reminded myself to eat slowly as I sometimes just inhale my dinner. I couldn’t even finish the portion of soup and chick peas I had measured. I was satisfied with a lot less than I expected.

I was concerned I would be hungry during the night again. Cinque, I did have a better nights sleep with only one bad dream and only once waking up a little hungry.

This morning I expected to be super hungry. I don’t know what is happening but I am not hungry yet. I have prepared a really healthy lunch with shredded cabbage red and green, shaved fennel and carrot. I have added a small piece of steak that I have sliced very thinly and I also have two boiled eggs for when I am hungry. So I am just letting my body talk to me at the moment. When it says I am hungry, I will eat.

I think I can do this again next week. I will let you know šŸ™‚

Just a thought on the almond milk.
    thin, the recipe your neighbour gave you made me wonder if it is the little pieces of chopped up almonds that I am seeing in my tea. I was thinking that because the almond milk is white, the pieces are not visible but when added to tea they become visible because the tea is dark. Anyway, I am going to buy some more and freeze portions just like you do. It is a great idea! When you say that you also use coconut milk in your coffee, do you mean the coconut milk that is used in cooking (like for Thai dishes)? I am curious how that would taste and as I love to try new foods I think I will give it a go.

Hope you two lovely ladies have a great FD and also to anyone else fasting with them. And for all of us, cheers for a happy day xx

wow that was a long post! That’s what happens when a Quacka gets quacking….. LOL

Hi all, hope everyoneā€™s well.

Saw My GP yesterday. He thinks my lungs sound good now, so he cleared me to have my infusion today. The nurse is due soon.

Busy day yesterday, so it was a very easy FD. Iā€™m still aiming for snack free NFDs and so far Iā€™m managing it, but busy afternoons are definitely easier to keep food free.

Quacka, I use either almond or almond & coconut milks. I never put them in my tea, but use them for cooking and on cereal and in hot milk drinks and smoothies. Iā€™ve never tried making my own. With the price of almonds I suspect itā€™s cheaper to buy the milk.

Cinque, I watched the crash diet program and yes it did remind me of the VLCD that I did. I ā€˜m glad they mentioned that maintenance is the hardest stage – that was my biggest ongoing issue until I started using 5:2 to manage it. I think MMs BSD suggests 800 cal every day for 8 weeks for those who want fast results, so it is getting wider promotion these days. I do think that this type of diet has itā€™s place, particularly for the mobidly obese.

Hi everyone,
    Happy fasting to all doing a FD today.

Check-in: Elevator result – going up – 66.2kgs this morning. My ā€˜eliminationā€™ doesnā€™t know whatā€™s going on, not surprisingly. Back to the Psyllium Husk.

Watching catch up soccer with OH who recorded matches and is trying not to find out results ahead of time.

Taking note of 1 day for each international hour traversed means about 10th July OH and I will be back to normal! Thanks Thin for the info. We did 10hrs going East. OH reckons heā€™s worse going East than going West. Strangely I read the same 1 day/international hour somewhere last night as well. After our 10 days recovery it will be Grandparent school holiday duties, which I look forward to.

Iā€™ll be getting some kefir grains after that. We had some kefir and berry fruits with penguin and Mrs P, and it will be great to have it on hand all the time now we know what to do.Thanks penguin.

Till then I bought some ā€˜Filmjolkā€™ – Rokeby Farm Probiotic Swedish-style Filmjolk, natural in a blue and white 750ml bottle from Coles(also stocked at Woolworths). The blurb says

ā€œ Filmjolk is a traditional cultured milk from Sweden that dates back to the Viking days. Made with fresh milk sourced from local Gippsland farms… slow fermented….15 live, active cultures….99% Australian ingredients… cultured after pasteurisationā€. I donā€™t know how it compares to kefir re culture types and numbers. Making it ourselves will be better than going through lots of bought plastic bottles.

Onwards and Downwards,
    Merry

Quacka, great result! You’ll be joining Penguin on a 5 day water fast before you know it. I did briefly flirt with that idea but I’m sure I’d struggle with B2B fasting. I do know that, after one FD, I am rarely hungry the next morning and often don’t eat until late morning.

I use almond & coconut milk (combined). It comes in a carton where you find the longlife milk. There are several to choose from so check the calories and experiment with what you like best. I’m examining mine now – it does seem curdly but I can stir it and it almost looks normal. Not ideal but it allows me to satisfy my love affair with coffee in the morning of a FD. FreyaT who used to post here, and who I met for coffee, drinks coconut oil in her coffee. CharliesMum, who also met us for coffee, said it looked like an oil slick.

P.S. Hi Merry and LJ. I wish I could give you both some kefir grains. Mine are safely hibernating in the fridge. Does anyone know how long the harvested kefir milk lasts in the fridge?

I’ll answer my own question about kefir – it should be drunk within two weeks according to the very informative site I use: https://www.yemoos.com/pages/milk-kefir-faq Everything you always wanted to know about kefir but were afraid to ask.

Hi Thin
    Thank you so much for the kefir link – full of amazing information. I’m excited and am going to thaw mine and reactive them straight away – fingers crossed, hope it works!

Hi again to everyone else!

Hi all. Well this will be my last post. Too many bad things happening in my life and I need to just step back for a while to try and regroup. Yesterday found out my husband will be unemployed in 6 months time. At 59, looking for a new job is hard work. And in 6 months is our proposed trip to Europe.

I want to thank you all for looking out for me and encouraging me with my weight loss. Believe it or not, I have enjoyed reading everyone’s stories and ongoing grit and determination with their own weight loss.

I am in major flare up at the moment due to the stress of everything.

Once again, thanks for the words of encouragement, help and caring shown to me.

Paula xx

Hi Paula, Thanks for letting us know.
    Sending you the very best wishes and hoping that things start getting better. Especially that there is some good news on the way for your husband, it is a cruel time to lose his job.
    Take care, and I hope you might turn up here again when the time is right.

http://renatures.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/flowers-nourishing-sun-lovely-water-rays-bed-nature-light-beautiful-green-flower-hd-image.jpg

Hi Paula. I would hate to see you leave our little thread here on the forum. You could step back from the 5:2 plan without stepping back from us. We enjoy talking with you here, and maybe we can make you feel a little better. I know you have a lot on your plate with your daughter and family and medical issues, but you sound like a strong person in spite of all the challenges. It isnā€™t easy holding everything together. But it sometimes doesnā€™t feel that way when weā€™re under a lot of stress. Do you have someone there that you can talk to in person if you donā€™t want to talk with us?

If your husband has 6 months til he is out of work, that gives him some time to look for something else in the meantime. I know many people in California that found jobs when they were in their 50ā€™s and 60ā€™s and there are a lot more people and competition here. The thing is that young people arenā€™t always responsible and have different work ethics than someone who is older and more experienced. They are much more likely to jump at a better offer because they often have less to lose. A person your husbandā€™s age values his job, simply because he knows itā€™s more difficult to find another one. Heā€™s more loyal. Employers know that. A lot can happen job-wise in 6 months. And if he finds something shortly before the end of the year and canā€™t take off for your European trip, you can always postpone it for a little while and maybe do something closer to home. Australia is a dream location to me!

Good morning,

Another hi to you PaulaMac if you have popped back to see our responses to your post. More good wishes.

It is extraordinarily warm here this morning after some freezing nights. 15C at 6am. Don’t we adjust!

It is morning after fast day, but I am teetering on the edge of wanting to try a second fast day, in light of Quacka’s experience. I would love to get to that post hungry feeling. I will think about it over my next cuppa, next week might work better.

But Quacka Congratulations! And the B2B sounds like something you will do again.

LJoyce, great news that your lungs are clear. I hope your infusion was an easy one.

I loved what both you and Thin wrote about changing eating patterns. It is what this thread is all about, apart from the actual 5:2 šŸ˜‰ and why I find it so supportive.

Merry I am glad that you are an old hand at this since your scales are being so obstinate at the moment. I bet jet lag effects all sorts of things in your body including some that confuse the scales. It will be nice when they settle down and down and down.

So interesting to hear about filmjolk. Maybe I will try it, since I couldn’t come at kefir.

Cheers to you Thin, and anyone else enjoying a Morning-After-Fast-Day.
    Thanks to the wonders of computers I get a chance to reread and censor myself before posting, so watch out if you ever meet me in person!

Best wishes all

Morning Cinque, I too have the opportunity to read and censor myself but …..

Paula, if you don’t have a confidante, please get some counselling to help you through the tricky aspects of life. All the best to you.

Just checking in to record that I am 59.8kg at the start of our little trip. On past holidays (since discovering 5:2), I have returned the same weight or slightly less. This one will be more challenging as there’s no self-catering and every hotel includes breakfast. And, yes, I do have to eat it (unlike restrained Merry). Have scales, will travel. Stay strong everyone, see you in a couple of weeks.

Best wishes for a wonderful trip Thin!

Good morning all.

Paula, I hope that those traumas in your life improve for you soon.

Thin, have a lovely trip- donā€™t do anthing too dangerous, we want you back safely.

Arel, good luck resurecting your frozen kefir, I think a few people here have had success with that.

Iā€™m having a daily gut bug booster at the moment, after 2 courses of antibiotics. Iā€™m mixing 1/2 cup of kefir (probiotic) with 2 tsp inulin powder (prebiotic), a dash of vanilla and a little almond milk to get a nice consistency. I hope my gut bugs appreciate it.

NFD today. My inside blinds will be installed this afternoon. The electrician will also be back too to try and get my phone line in – they are having trouble getting cables through the insulation, wooden noggins and metal plates inside the walls.

My no snacking goal is still going well.

Have a good day everyone.

Good Morning all

@thin – that is going to be such an exciting trip – will you be taking a lot of pics?

@ljoyce – good luck with getting your phone line installed!

@ All – I have a mandarin mid morning and an apple mid afternoon, both on FD and NFD – does that count as snacks?

Sybs – yes they are snacks, but good choices. Once I have my uncontrolled snacking reined in Iā€™ll be glad to get back to having fresh fruit as my snacks. I think it helps to get to that daily target of fruit & veg serves.

@ljoyce – I don’t have problems getting my daily target of fruit & veg, my problem is eating enough protein. Luckily I don’t ever eat snack foods, never liked them, too much sugar, too much fat and too much sodium, not something my tastebuds find tempting – give me dark chocolate any time :-)) and at the moment I don’t even have that in the house.

Bon Voyage Thin- Have fun!

Paula – sending you hugs and hoping everything starts to look better for you and Mr P soon. Stay strong. You can get through this.

Check-in: the elevator has come to a stop, steady at 66.2kg this morning. FD today and going well so far at nearly 3pm. Nothing yet but water and a very weak tea. Yesterday I couldnā€™t walk any extra and very tired all day. Today doing a slow walk now for an hour, see how many steps I can do. OH and I are doing one of our FD strategies which is to go to the movies after that, with hot drink to sip through the 1st half hour, then FD meal when we get home about 6. 30pm- small piece fish and low calorie, non starchy vegies tonight – broccoli, cauliflower, carrot. A few strawberries after that. I love that strawberries are so low cal 23cal/100gms from memory.

Onwards and downwards,
    Merry

Thin, have a wonderful time on your trip!

Quacka, I make a cream of broccoli soup every so often thatā€™s pretty low in calories although Iā€™ve never figured them out exactly. Iā€™m terrible about measuring things but I can tell you the ingredients. I use either fresh steamed broccoli or the frozen, chopped in small pieces. I add plain soy milk, roughy an amount equal to the broccoli. I sautĆ© a little onion and garlic, or if Iā€™m in a hurry I use the granulated dry garlic and onion bits. Heat it til almost boiling and then turn it dow and let it simmer for about 10 minutes. Let it cool a bit and then use a stick blender to purĆ©e it. Add more soy milk if needed. Add salt and pepper to taste. Using frozen broccoli and granulated onions and garlic, can make this a very quick meal. I havenā€™t tried it with any of the nut milks but I bet cashew milk would be good.

LJoyce, glad they are finally getting the phone in. Did the give you a date for the Internet hook up?

Cinque, did you end up doing a B2B FD?

Merry, I bet your weight will settle down in a few days, as soon as it figures out what time it is. šŸ˜

Cali, The Telstra technician is booked in for Sunday morning to complete my phone-internet connection. I even rang them to check that they really were coming here on a Sunday as I thought that might be a mistake. Fingers crossed, I should have functioning internet by Sunday afternoon. I canā€™t wait as some internet functions are really frustrating to try and do on my tiny phone screen.

I would love to meet you in person Cinque. No censoring required! Happy travels Thin. LJ glad to hear you’re feeling better. Paula I wish you the very best, and hope you are getting some much-needed support. Come back when and if you are ready – you will be welcomed with open arms.
    I’m just finishing off a FD – a small piece of salmon with a lot of green veges awaits me, after lunch of celery, snow peas and a sliver of cheese. Just on 500, by my estimate. I’m handling the 16:8, very low carb, 5:2 combination quite well. My only transgression is occasionally going over 500, but as MM said we could do 800
    on low carb, I guess I’m okay. My new scales are showing progress downwards, so I’m happy. I’d been over on the island for a few days, minus scales, so was pleasantly surprised and rewarded this morning when I weighed in.
    BTW, I watched just a part of the crash diet program – but it reminded me of a fling I had with Modifast, in the mid-eighties. I lost heaps of weight … and also my appetite, my hair and my gall bladder. I was meant to have 3 sachets a day – sometimes after a couple of days I’d try to remember when last I’d had one. The problem was there was no schedule to reintroduce food. When I’d lost my 20 kilos (and was very thin thin thin), my endocronologist just bid me farewell, with no advice on how to manage the next phase. The outcome? I pretty rapidly put on 30 kilos, and my body shape changed so the extra kilos all ended up on my stomach. Thank heaven for this 5:2 way of life, and 6:1 when I finally get to where I want to be.

8am Friday
    Hi everyone

Think of you all often and do wonder what you are all getting up to!

Unfortunately, not really up to reading or answering just now ā€“ my dear brother is in the hospice, pain free & just waiting!

Such a difficult, sad time Arel. Thinking of you.

Good morning,
    Thanks for popping in Arelkade, I can imagine that your mind can’t cope with any distractions now, concentrate on the important things. So glad to hear that your dear brother is pain free. Sending all my good wishes.

Merry, I am so glad the elevator has stopped going up. Have a look at the view and then enjoy the ride down!
    Isn’t it wonderful how strawberries taste so much sweeter than they actually are!

Lindsay, I would love to meet you too! I’m glad you have got the right sort of scales now. Congratulations on the lovely downwards direction. And yes, an occasional >500 cals means you are doing the new version of 5:2 very nicely. šŸ™‚

What a good example you give of the problems with lack of a follow up program for fast weight loss. It must have been so awful to live through, all that hard work and then seeing the weight come back on. Not to mention losing your gallbladder and more in the process.

I rewatched the program because it came on as a repeat when I was resting yesterday. It was surprisingly good to watch it again, especially when the binge eater was talking to the psychologist and he said ‘if you are arguing with yourself about eating something, that means you are keeping the option on the table.” It hit home this time. It is exactly the problem I have with snacks. (I don’t have them sensibly like you do, Sybs, and I can’t work out how to have them in a healthy way). So I think I will concentrate on not having them at all for a month or so and see how I find that.

LJoyce, internet technician tomorrow. Woot!
    Did your blinds get hung ok?

Cali, lovely to read your post, do you feel that your blood pressure is stabilising now?

I didn’t do back to back yesterday, I got to a mini goal with my business plan instead. I am sorry, because I was in the right headspace, but on the other hand I am so relieved to have got to that goal with the document. And I didn’t snack and I had lovely healthy meals.

I’m off to do the same today.
    Best wishes to everyone.

Arel, Iā€™m thankful to hear that the hospice people are keeping your brother pain free. I canā€™t even imagine how difficult this must all be for you. Itā€™s good that you have your father there with you and some family nearby. Sending hugs and prayers for all of you.

LJoyce, Iā€™m so glad to hear that theyā€™re finally getting your home phone hooked up and the internet connection will be completed on Sunday. I agree that having to type on a small phone screen is so inconvenient for anything more than a few sentences. Fingers crossed that they show up on Sunday and all is taken care of.

Cinque, I like that line you posted from the show about if youā€™re arguing with yourself about eating something, you are keeping the option on the table. So true! I think we have to teach ourselves to just say no, and put that option out of our heads. Thatā€™s not always easy. Snacking is usually my downfall on NFD.
    Cinque, my blood pressure is still not under control, but the problem lately is having it go too low due to that one BP med Iā€™m taking. My new GP has started me on a plan to eliminate that one and possibly increase the dose of the other. Itā€™s a 3 week process of weaning off the med because it abruptly stopping can have rebound effects. This doc seems very good and sensible.

Hi to everyone, and good luck with your FD and NFD too.

Hi everyone

Just checking in!

Currently the lowest weight Iā€™ve been for many years 74.5kg! Probably from limited eating under my current circumstances.

Thank you so much for all your recent compassionate comments ā€“ so very much appreciated xx

Alrelkade, so good to be under 75kg! Congratulations! Goodness, you might never go over it again. Fingers crossed. best wishes for today.

Cali, so glad you have a doctor who is sensible. Frustrating to go through that long withdrawal from one med and then building up the next, but hopefully this is the one that does the trick.

I bought a big bottle of Vitamin D and Calcium pills but I have a feeling they are giving me hives! I had forgotten to take them for a few days (distracted by a big outbreak of hives), remembered yesterday, and today I have hives again . I took this morning’s tablets before I looked it up! Oh well, I have smothered myself with moisturiser and am drinking lots of water. Any other tips welcome!

Day before Fast Day for me.

Arel, congrats on your new low weight. Eating less because you are upset isnā€™t a good way to lose it, but now if you can keep it off with 5:2, that would be a good thing. Continuing thoughts and prayers for you and your brother.

Cinque, I had never heard of Vitamin D causing hives but when I looked it up, I see that it can. There was also an article that said lack of Vitamin D can affect your autoimmune system and cause them. Had you been taking these supplements before? If so, did you buy the same brand or could they have changed some of the inactive ingredients and that could be affecting you? Itā€™s hard to get enough sun naturally when we wear sunscreens in the summer and are indoors a lot during the winter. Maybe you could wait a while and try again.

Lindsay, I think youā€™re right about those crash diet plans. They may help you to lose a lot of weight quickly but they arenā€™t sustainable and you just gain it all back when the diet is ā€œoverā€. Thatā€™s what I like about the 5:2. Itā€™s easy enough to continue for maintenance. Iā€™m so used to it now that itā€™s just part of the routine.

Good morning,
    It is Sunday Fast Day for me.

Cali, same! I googled Vit D and hives and the first thing that came up was that research that said Vit D could help. Luckily I kept going. It really is looking like it is the vitamin D, but if it turns out not to be, I’ll start looking at other possibilities.

That point you made about fast weight loss not being sustainable is what the TV show was all about. Their argument is that the problem is not the fast weight loss, but whether people have the information and strategies to help them when the crash diet part is finished. I think they are right, and I agree with you about 5:2. It works for me because it is sustainable long term, and especially because it allows me to increase my knowledge of useful strategies while I am doing it!

Coffee time, best wishes all.

Viewing 50 posts - 16,401 through 16,450 (of 28,011 total)

You must be logged in to reply.