Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,908 replies, has 831 voices, and was last updated by  LJoyce 12 hours, 59 minutes ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 16,351 through 16,400 (of 28,012 total)

• Result! (As the kids would say). Finally coming down off my plateau. It’s taken 2 weeks of 16:8, combined with 5:2 and LCHF, but finally movement.
    Cinque what are you thinking? A short post? Well that’s disappointing. I love reading your daily missive.
    Penguin you paint such a vivid picture of your part of the world. And a mini-geography lesson, to boot, and on a diet site. This is what makes this site so compelling.
    Calif I hope you are dealing with the loss of your beloved aunt and Godmother. It’s very hard when people we love, who’ve been fixtures in our lives, are gone. Look after yourself.
    I’ve enjoyed the discussion about reducing plastic bag use. I always have some canvas ones in my boot and a couple of the little fold up nylon ones in my handbag. We get around the bin liner problem by composting vegetable waste, wrapping other kitchen waste in newspaper, and using bread bags for odds and sods. (My OH and kids go through 2 or 3 loaves a week). Recycling and reusing is a work in progress, but we do try. I must say I was appalled that we shipped our waste to China. The first world shouldn’t be unloading it’s excess on a developing nation (though China is hardly that anymore). Ok lecture over! My 16 hours are up so I am off for my NFD carb free breakfast. Have a good one all.

Hello everyone. First post in quite a few weeks. Ive skimmed through posts only reading a few….not enough hours in the day unfortunately.

I did want to comment on Paula’s post to say im sorry for your family situation. Ive been through the same in the last 12 months and now only have contact with 2 out of approx 20 immediate family members. I know this doesnt apply to all but my motto now is ‘blood doesnt have to mean family’ Family is those who surround you and love you….no matter who they are. I sincerely hope you are travelling ok Paula as i know how stressful it can be.

My Paleo lifestyle is going well. Im relying less on the scales and more on the tape measure and clothes fit. The scales show a few kilos over my goal weight but clothes fit and measurements are the same as my lowest weight last September so im satisfied with that. Im sure once i have a few more weeks/months of paleo under my belt my body will work out its own natural status.

A few weeks ago i made my first batch of sauerkraut with my new fermenting jars. Every day i take a peak under the towel (which keeps the temp stable) to see how it’s going. Might have a taste this weekend as i think it’s 3 or 4 weeks since i made it.

I think OH is getting very close to officially proposing….he’s throwing out hints like you wouldn’t believe. Im so very excited to say the least.

Must go, have an appointment at the hairdressers. Take care everyone x

Good evening,

You are so kind Lindsay. Congratulations on that plateau finally ending. Hooray!

Gday, lovely to hear your news and I am glad that the paleo diet is suiting you so well. Good luck with that sauerkraut. And with OH’s proposal hints. I hope he does a wonderful one.

Sybs what a great breakfast, it sounds like a cross between an oatcake and a traditional pancake.
    I had chickpea and kimchi ‘pancakes’ for breakfast. Actually called cheela they are just chickpea flour with water and a little bit of salt, with some finely chopped kimchi added. Then the pan is brushed lightly with oil and a ladle of batter is swirled thin and cooked. So yummy.

I made my ‘rye’ bread, but I put the rye in quotation marks because I was so nervous of making a cold dense loaf I only had 1/2 a cup of rye flour to 3 cups of wheat flour, and this actually made a particularly light loaf and not much rye flavour. (Absolutely delicious though). I’ll be braver next time!
    However, in researching rye bread I came across ‘horsebread’. Medieval peasant bread that included field peas ground up with rye, wheat and whatever other grain they could salvage. I just might play around with that combination too!

It is dark here, and the nearly full moon is up. Best wishes for a lovely evening.

Hi everyone

Just wanted to say thanks for all the good wishes. Much appreciated, as usual.

Courtney and I are hanging in there and will just see where it takes us in regard to seeing mum. I found the most beautiful photo of my mum taken in maybe the late 50’s early 60’s. Love it.

To the newbies on here – welcome. You cannot get a better bunch of ladies looking out for you and their knowledge 5:2 is astounding. Never fear of asking anything here as someone will have some knowledge of it.

Okay – I am curious – who on here is in Perth, WA?
    Paula

Only me Paula. But I’ve met seven former Perth losers from these pages over the years.

Cinque, I beat you yesterday and didn’t make a post at all. Other than yours, I can’t remember what was on the previous page although I did read it yesterday. Oh yes, Sybs’ pancakes.

Lindsay, thanks for your recycling insights. GDSA, exciting times for you. Will you have a white wedding? Too bad all those grumpy OFMs will miss out on the happy occasion.

Thin, you were impressively succinct yesterday!

Day before fast day for me.

Paula, fingers crossed.

Penguin, the news said the UK was having an Australian summer and lots of info about stopping the roads from melting and other extreme things. Then they finished up by saying it was 31C.
    You need to add another 10C before it is an Australian summer. Just saying.

Funny Cinque, I remember being back in Brighton one summer and the news was full of stories of people passing out on the beach, increased ambulance call outs due to the heat wave, the elderly being at risk, and so on. It was 29C. A warm winter’s day in Perth!

I don’t know about insights Thin – we just stumble on, doing the best we can, and hoping to be kinder to the planet. And don’t get Miss 5 started on plastic straws and how they kill the turtles!

Here’s something that made me laugh – ruefully. I weighed Miss 5 the other week … 18.1 kilos. Never dreaming she would understand, I looked over her head to OH and said ‘I’d like to lose a Miss O’.. Fast forward to a big family lunch at the weekend, when the subject of dieting came up…..and up she piped. ‘Marmar wants to lose 18.1 kilos’. Yikes! I forgot her new prep education has made her much more savvy about letters and numbers.

Thin and Cinque I remember my first trip to England in 1976 when the temps reached the mid-30s for over a fortnight People were sprawled in parks and gardens, in their underwear, basking in the sun and swimming in the ponds! I was really shocked (then again I was very young and naive). Look at these wonderful pics https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/4092496/uk-summer-heatwave-1976/

OK enough reminiscing – I’ve now done an 18 hour fast. It’s FD, and I’m off to have my steamed chicken, which is dull but convenient here at work.

@lindsay – why don’t you make a Vietnamese dipping sauce for your steamed chicken? wrap pieces of the chicken into letters leaves and dip away :-))

Fabulous memorabilia Lindsay! Incendiary bombs exploding and cricket umpires allowed to remove their jackets for the first time in 99 years! That was my final year of uni and there’s my home town in the first photo! Do you know what struck me about those photos? No overweight people!

I have just returned from a routine screening test at my GP. I couldn’t resist asking to get on his scales and I’m about a kg lighter than my last visit 2 years ago. Which impressed him. My BP is also good and no blood tests were indicated as I am no longer at risk of diabetes and other nasties. And good news for females, we don’t have to repeat that particular screening test for five years now. You’ll know the one.

Loved those VIetnamese restaurants Lindsay, all fresh ingredients and everything served on the side.

Sybs that sounds so much more interesting that boring steamed chicken. Good tip, thanks. I guess I could drop the sugar and just use the fish sauce etc? By the bye, we lived in Vietnam for a couple of years and the food was amazing – the only downside was that even the fabulous salads were dressed with a lot of sugar.

Thin you come from Brighton? One of my brothers and SIL were at Sussex Uni, not too far away. We spent many a happy holiday down that way.
    and re overweight people – I hadn’t noticed that. But fast forward to the current heat event. Dorset, 2018.
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/heatwave-to-rival-the-hot-summer-of-1976-kclwvncpv

Good grief Lindsay. Those three could create a tsunami! Yes, I am from Brighton, but I went to Exeter uni.

@lindsay – you could use some “equal” instead of sugar (I must admit that I don’t particularly like it because of some nasty ingredients, and the only time I use it is for dipping sauce). Yes, fish sauce, fresh lime juice, a bit of chilli and a bit of garlic. Fresh herbs of choice – mint/Vietnamese mint/coriander – any herb you may have, just waiting to be used :-))

Thin I laughed out loud at your description of the Dorset bathers. How long did the photographer have to wait to get that snap I wonder? Poor souls. Imagine opening your daily newspaper to find that pic.
    Thanks again Sybs. I’ll make do without the sweetener I think – it sounds delicious naked.

Hi everyone

It’s been a tough FD for me today. Its 4pm and I have had about 100 calories. Unfortunately I had a La Zuppa cup a soup which has almost my day’s recommended salt allowance in it. I also had a miso soup made from paste and a piece of turkey cold meat. I think I have blown tomorrow’s salt allowance as well….

I was in a great mindset this morning until my bestie at work told me she had split up with her boyfriend. She was so down in the dumps and wanted to go out for lunch in our break. She knows I am on a FD so asked if I could do one tomorrow instead. I ummed and aaahed only because I know that I won’t do it tomorrow but in the end I said I would. We didn’t actually end up going for lunch (we are now doing that tomorrow) but for some unknown reason I have been really hungry all day.

I really have to plan what I am going to make for dinner as I still want to keep to the 500 calories. I have some cabbage already sliced up so am thinking of doing a yummy cabbage salad maybe with a greek yoghurt dressing and some super lean pork medallions.

Funny thing is at lunch time my bestie and her boy have reconciled already. I think she may have over reacted to something he said and they hadn’t really broken up at all! I am very happy they are ok. I will be even happier when I still manage to complete this FD……hopefully. Fingers crossed

Hope everyone is doing well. Still thinking of the ones who I know are having a tough time at the moment xx

Lindsay L I was on an airfield in 1976. The real problem was the drought. The airfield was made of 25 metre square concrete blocks which moved when the ground below dried out and houses had similar problems. Our building regulations changed as a result.

Cinque. We have the same problem in the winter. A few flakes of snow and our southern based media goes into panic overload. We now have colour coded warnings that it will be hot or cold and our storms all have names as though they were typhoons. Kids are increasingly not allowed to take part in competitive events in case losing damages them, we need licences to do things which were not controlled – I am not supposed to do any electrical work in my bathroom or kitchen without having it checked out by someone with the appropriate qualification. We are increasingly being treated like helpless idiots. As I write this the morning TV has just said “Taxes and regulation should be used to help people lead a healthy life style”

My turn for a morning rant!

😆 Penguin. People need to toughen up. Those ‘participation’ ribbons at primary school are pathetic. My DD says that she spent 9 years at primary school doing nothing but learning how to make friends. In Australia, it is technically illegal to change a light bulb without the aid of a qualified electrician. These things drive my OH crazy. He re-wired our entire house and later all the wiring for the new addition and then paid a qualified electrician to come and say that he had done it properly.

Good morning,
    Thursday Fast Day and I am having my morning cup of tea. It is cold and dark outside. The cat hasn’t even asked to go out yet. It is lovely and snug in here.

I’m looking forward to my Fast Day, just a little bit wondering how well I will go babysitting the little ones tonight. Hopefully they will still be alive at the end of it.

Quacka, isn’t it interesting how a day can be derailed. I put this up on the science thread a couple of days ago: Psychology research on how a setback can derail people from reaching longer term goals. https://www.news.iastate.edu/news/2018/06/21/actioncrisis
    It is about how easily a setback can cause us to give up. It seems we a pretty well hardwired that way. So well done you for soldiering through!
    Your dinner idea sounds so delicious. Did you make it?
    Hope your bestie and her boyfriend have a nice stable time now!

I thought of that research again when I watched that Insight program with Dr Mosley all about exercise. I found it very interesting. And part 2 next week. But the thing I remember most (because I wrote it down 😉 ) was a quote that says

“Motivation is what gets you going
    Routine is what keeps you going”

Isn’t that so true for longterm changes!

Wow and haha, Thin and Lesley, re those links to UK heat. I remember showing my daughter old footage from Melbourne in the 60’s and she just gasped “There are no fat people!” On the other hand, I love the picture of the three fat women. Yay to them for getting out there.

Not having sugar makes a lot of Asian food a problem for me. I gave up the last time I went to Yum Cha (which I used to miss out on because I was vegetarian and everything seemed to be meat, and now I miss out on because everything is too sweet. 🙁 Bad Yum Cha karma here!).
    I can make things at home of course, and Noodle Kingdom (local restaurant) has plenty of dishes I can eat. Hooray!

Oh dear, people, we are a litigating society so those rules just get tighter and tighter. On the other hand, my electrician friend has had to clean up some dreadful home wiring jobs and has his heart in his mouth at how close people have come to killing themselves.

Thin, my friend once described schools beautifully as a place where kids who can do the work are bored most of the time waiting for the other kids to catch up, and kids who can’t do the work are bored most of the time waiting for the teacher to get around to them. 13 years of boredom.
    Sigh, we should be able to do so much better!

(no, Sigh isn’t a new person here, it was my actual sigh)

Time to put ingredients to soak. Now, miso soup, there’s an Asian meal with no added sugar!

PS While writing my the cat did go out. And then came back in again.
    But at least it is light now. Cheers all.

Lindsay, not Lesley!

I answer to anything Cinque. I knew it was for me 🙂

Great post Cinque, I read it twice. I like it best when I wake to your daily post. No pressure. Sigh!

I love your friend’s description of school, Cinque. My DD was so fortunate to get into a high school that met her academic needs.

Yes, I suspect there are ‘handy men’ who might make some scary efforts. But thankfully there are people in the world like my OH who have been taking things apart to see how they work since about age 8 and can make or fix just about anything. As you know, he can be very irritating around the kitchen but I am so grateful that he can repair anything from a hearing aid to an aeroplane. It’s a rare day that we get a tradie in.

And ‘routine’! My mantra for making 5:2 work. I don’t let anything get in the way of my fast days once they’re underway. I couldn’t trust myself if I started slipping.

Today we’re going to meet friends for lunch at a winery. A chilly 17C is forecast so thermals are required. Don’t laugh Penguin, I’m serious.

Have a stellar FD Cinque and everyone else who’s fasting. Enjoy your wine and Lindt, Sybs.

I may have another FD today, as tomorrow my friend and I’ll have dinner together. I am taking her to Cape Trib to stay overnight at the Heritage Lodge as a birthday treat, so I am not going to bore her with FDs etc plus I also want to indulge a little, celebrating that I have been “good” for 5 months.

That quote from the Insight program also stuck in my mind. I have actually printed off some of the exercises, as I also spend a lot of time sitting in front of my computer.

Hi everyone

Thanks for the link Cinque. I did make my FD dinner last night but with all the talk about yummy asian dressings I decided to make an asian dressing instead. I didn’t add any sugar but used homemade chilli jam which believe me has plenty of sugar in it. I used lime juice, sesame oil, soy sauce,chilli jam and pickled chillis and grated garlic and ginger. It was amazing.
    I used my already cut up cabbage (white and purple), grated carrot, red onion and red capsicum. Also a very small amount of vermicelli rice noodles and then topped with a few salad sprinkles.
    I make a big batch of salad sprinkles and keep it in the fridge. It’s sunflower seeds, pepitas, flaked almonds,black and white sesame seeds, all toasted. It just adds a bit of pizazz to salad.

Enjoy your FD Cinque and anyone else on a FD today. Thin and Sybs, enjoy your lunch/dinner out. Hope everyone has a great day x

Hi everyone, just checking in!
    Enjoying all your posts. So much happening for you all. Good discussions on many topics.
    Enjoy whatever you are getting up to and bye for now!

Hi everyone. Thank you for all of your kind condolences on the passing of my aunt Esther. Cinque, that is such a lovely offer from you, to light a tea candle for her in your beautiful dome. The wake and service is this morning and with the 15 hour time difference, it would be the middle of the night for you. But if you would like to light one in the morning, that would be a lovely idea. I believe she’s looking down from some other dimension, and would be very touched that my friend from the other side of the world was lighting a candle for her. I often talked with her about some of the comments and stories from this forum, so she would know who you are. Although I wasn’t able to fly back there because of lingering health concerns, mainly blood pressure that could spike since I’m a nervous flyer, my sister arrived there yesterday and will keep me apprised of the details.

I also wrote a eulogy which my cousin will read at the service. There were lots of funny stories that she told me from the past and some recent ones that I knew about. They describe what a beautiful person she was both inside and out. And it will give me a way to be there in spirit. And it will hopefully add a light note to such a sad occasion.

Thin, our laws in California changed a couple years ago to prohibit the single use plastic bags. If you don’t bring a bag the stores will charge you 10 cents for a heavier plastic bag that’s reusable. I’ve been bringing my own bags for over 10 years so it isn’t an issue for me. We use the plastic bags that bread comes in for cleaning up after our dog. We do purchase kitchen bin bags which are larger than the grocery bags, but we recycle cans and cardboard. I keep saying that I want to start a compost pile but haven’t figured out a place in the garden to do that.

Paula, I’m sorry to hear of all your family troubles. That would be very difficult to deal with. I hope some way or another it improves.

Today is my Thursday FD. It’s been pretty easy so far as I haven’t eaten anything and it’s 3:00 PM. I was at 59 Tuesday morning after Monday’s FD but 60.1 this morning. The same old problem of eating too much on NFD.

Sybs, congrats on your weight loss. Those are good numbers!

I’ve been out of the loop for a few days and am trying to catch up with posts.

Cali, sorry to hear of your loss and that you can’t attend the funeral as you’d with. I think it’s a lovely idea to send a eulogy for your cousin to read. I hope you are able to spend some time remembering happy times with your aunt. I think when we remember people they stay alive in our hearts.

GDSA, congratulation on you imending proposal.

Sounds like everyone else is mostly coping with life and 5:2. I’m doing ok some days.

Hi Everyone
    Sorry to hear of your beloved aunt’s passing, CalifD, and that you aren’t well enough to fly to her funeral ~hugs!
    Thin, 17degrees in Perth?? We are supposed to have a “high” of 12 here in the Yarra Valley today. 😩 Enjoy the winery! My OH is also a ‘repairer’ He replaced a broken belt on the dryer and something was loose in the dw that he fixed, also some plastic under my car was touching the ground as well as fixing something in our Coonara heater as the plate inside had fallen down. Hopefully that’s all that breaks for now as he is away crossing the Simpson Desert.
    Arelkade, hoping you are doing OK in your difficult circumstances ~hugs.
    Quakka, that dressing sounds yummy and my DH makes homemade chilli jam too.
    Sybscairns, what a lovely treat for you and your friend- enjoy! I did the I ‘may’ have another FD on Wednesday but was thinking it was too close to my Monday FD and didn’t get through it successfully so today I AM doing a FD even tho it will look different to my usual FD.
    I’ve had a busy week. My DD’s house extension has almost finished inside. She is pregnant so I vacuumed new carpet that was laid and went with her to IKEA where we filled the car completely with stuff that will fit out her walk-in-robe.
    Today my mum is coming over and my younger DD is working later this afternoon so my older DD is coming with granddaughter as well. I’m doings a FD and am making a frittata as our chooks are laying lots of eggs. I’ll have a small slice for lunch and a veggie soup for dinner. No nice biscuits for morning tea for me- I CAN do this. My weight this morning was 58.6 but tomorrow I’ve got dinner out with the other ‘lonely ‘ wives and then wine and cheese platters at one of their homes 😊
    Hope you all stay warm (in your thermals – I’ve been wearing leggings under my jeans for 2 weeks now 😊) and have a great day! Xx

Cali, I read your post about 7:30am, and lit the candle straight away. It would have been such a beautiful funeral, I bet there there was dear laughter at your stories of your Aunt Esther.

Now I have had three cups of tea, and my lovely morning-after-Fast-Day breakfast, my brain is up to writing, just about.

Glad to have you in the loop LJoyce, but it sounds like you are not able to be as in charge of life as you like. Big kudos for those ok days.
    You’ll get back to usual soon, I’m sure. You got though the sustained pressure of the preparation and move with extraordinary discipline, so it is no wonder you are scrambling a bit now. Especially since you don’t have internet yet!
    I know you are keeping doing the good things, and you are really good at triaging. Sending best wishes.

Lindsay, thanks for your graciousness. Thin, thanks very much. I love that you enjoy my posts, and I always look forward to yours too.
    Mr Thin (and Mr Penguin) should get an honourary proficiency certificate that allows them to do anything. (And Ms LJoyce)! (And you other brilliant ones)

I agree about routine, 5:2 is a fixture in my life now, so even going through some big interruption (like you are LJoyce) just means it is an interruption, and I can then return to 5:2 normalcy.

I hope you were sufficiently rugged up for the winery, Thin, and that the wine was lovely. Ooh I’d love 17C. 13C here today.

Sybs, best wishes for a wonderful celebration for you and your friend on that beautiful Cape Tribulation.
    And yes, the exercise info was so good. I often find such information depressing as I am forced to be so sedentary, but there was so much in the program that I can do, and every little bit helps. (She says, already at the computer for 20 minutes without a break.) (I’ll go and put the coffee on.) (Virtuously stretching while I do it 😉 )

Quacka, I want your delicious meal! I think I need to get into pork medallions, I have never had one in my life. But now I want them with an Asian cabbage salad, sugar free dipping sauce and crunchy toppings.

So glad to see your post Arelkade, did you get some nice R&R with your sister? Hoping your brother is as comfortable as possible, and that you are looking after yourself well.

I won’t run out of plastic shopping bags to line my bin for a while, even with my best efforts I have a stack. I reuse them for other things before they get to the stage of being bin liners. But I am soaking and/or rinsing things that go in the bin now, and keeping those plastic, or paper, or cellophane bags (from packets of beans, oats etc) to put those grotty bits and pieces in (like I used to in my older, hippier days). Let’s see how I go. Nice to know that packets of bin liners exist, if I need them.

Oops, time for the next step in coffee making, with added stretches. Bye now, best wishes everyone.

All the posts kept me busy through my first coffee of the day.

Stay, my OH usually gets a list of ‘honeydos’ when he gets home from a trip. I think it quietly gives him a sense of pride that he can tackle the items when I’m so helpless. Although I admit, I could repair a few things before we were married as long it involved a Swiss Army Knife. When I bought my first house, I changed the bathroom door to open the other way using my only tool. OH shakes his head!

The food at the winery was surprisingly good. I had the unhealthy lamb curry pie and a glass of wine. Sybs, there’s a Margaret River chocolate factory in the Swan Valley too so we had to stop there for coffee and chocolate samples. I wasn’t punished as much as I deserved on the scales this morning, still under 60. I hope you’re enjoying Cape Trib. and wonder how it’s changed in 30 years.

I bought some very thin thermals on Groupon and didn’t expect much of them. They were only $15 for top and bottom but they’ve made a big difference to my winter comfort. I doubt they’d be of much use on a ski field but so far I’m impressed.

LJ, that post didn’t sound so good. Please try to get back to regular posting with us and let’s get you back on track. As Cinque says, you made it through the hard part without faltering, don’t fall apart now. You can do this and we’re here to do it with you. What’s happening right now?

CalifD, I hope you made it through the difficult day and cherish wonderful memories of your aunt. Thanks for the plastics update. We used to recycle when we lived there and I remember there was never any rubbish on the beaches or streets because homeless people collected cans. I’ve been composting for 25 years here, we have very sandy soil so I assume it helps to make it more fertile.

Cinque, please never stop posting. You’re needed to balance my frankness with your gentle slant. I hope you enjoy your post FD today. Now it’s time for my second coffee before braving the cold.

Hi Arel, Quacka, Lindsay and everyone else. Have a wonderful weekend all.

Thin great news from your doctor’s appointment. And you and Cinque should never stop posting. I like your non-PC approach to life Thin, and how you gently reorient us Cinque.
    I’ve had a funny couple of days. We went last night to the PowerHouse to see ‘At Last – the story of Etta James’ performed by Vika Bull (from Rockwiz). Amazing show – probably the best I’ve ever seen. The band was wonderful .. trumpets, trombones, great backing singing. I could go on .. and on. My first drink in 13 weeks. One glass of red wine during the first half and then another after interval. And then I got breathalysed on the way home! Of course I was fine – .038 – but it did give me the tremours when I saw the roadblock. Why wasn’t I breathalysed in the 13 weeks alcohol-free? Then I got on my glass scales this morning – and the damned things shattered into a million pieces. The little ones had been playing with a little set of dice, and one had lodged under the scales. Fortunately I saw the weight as they exploded…my 2 glasses of red made no difference at all.
    LJ hope you’re doing ok. Sybs how was Cape Trib? Beautiful place.
    Arel, Quaka, Calif, JJ. Stay and all others I’ve missed – hope you’re travelling well.

(9.50pm Friday)
    Hi to each and every one of you.
    Just checking in – so sorry, haven’t had time to catch up on recent posts.

My thoughts are with you Calif for your recent loss – enjoy the happy memories!

re: my Brother – he will be moved to an oncology hospital on Monday, then to a hospice when timing is right! My Father and us 4 siblings were all together today at the hospital – a rare treat due to distance and travel – 2 hours for me, 6 hours for second brother! Upsetting to feel it may have been the last time we will be all together, so hard to contemplate!
    We all shared many memories and feel good for sharing time together.

Hope each of you have a wonderful weekend doing lots of pleasurable, relaxing things with many happy moments. Bye for now!

Ariel, I’m so glad you were able to spend time with your family and your brother. I’m realizing that’s so important. We never know what day will be our last. I spoke to my aunt on the phone the Sunday before she passed. I’m glad we always end our conversations with “I love you.” but what other things would I have said if I had known that conversation would be our last? It’s so important to let all our loved ones know how much we care, not just when they’re ill, but every chance we get.

Lindsay, that play about Etta James sounds wonderful. I’ve always loved that song, “At Last” President Obama and Michelle danced to that songg at his first inauguration. Unfortunately it was sung by Beyoncé rather than Etta James. Nobody sings it like Etta.
    Sorry to hear about your glass scales shattering. I thought those things were indestructible. Hope in was tempered glass. I laughed when you said you got to see your weight while it was in its final stages!

Thin, what’s unhealthy about Lamb Curry Pie and a glass of wine? That sounds healthy enough to me. Perhaps the calories were a little high but isn’t that why we do 5:2, so we can maintain our weight without feeling deprived and counting calories every day? And your scans prove it, still under 60 and I bet some of that is water weight.

Cinque, thank you for lighting the candle. I told my uncle about it and he was touched. I keep my reusable shopping bags in the trunk of my car. It’s full of them, some sturdy ones that are fabric covered with a plastic material I’ve had for over 5 years. I bring reusables in all stores, even Subway.

Stay, it sounds like you’ve been busy with your daughter’s house extension and family coming and going. A busy time for you!

LJoyce, I hope you get your internet connection straightened out and get yourself back here soon! We miss you and want to hear about all of your adventures with your new home. And 5:2 is much easier when we’re around to hold you accountable!

Hi everyone
    6.45am Saturday

Well we’ve reached the end of another month, and for me, each one is a bonus for choosing to take on this WOL – I feel so much better within myself than I did 6 months ago, 12 months ago, years ago – you all know what I mean! 😉

Thank you all for your kind thoughts re: my brother. It warms my heart to know that virtual friends I have never met can be so caring – thank you and much appreciated. Calif – your post was very moving and so true – thank you 💐.

Congratulations to all those who have had success in weight loss for June; also to the rest of us who may be feeling a lot more healthier than maybe weeks, months or even years ago, because we’ve made the choice to live this WOL. Well done everyone!

Thank you to each of you for all your encouraging comments to all of us, stories of success or not, suggestions on how you manage FD’s and NFD’s, etc, etc – it all helps each of us to know we are not on this journey alone!

Together we can do this!

My dear Dad came home permanently on Thursday – enjoying each day with him, feels right!

Enjoy whatever you are getting up to and bye for now!

Good morning SHs,

Arel, I hope you still have more time with your brother. I’m pleased to hear that he is somewhere thst his pain can be properly managed. Just lovely news that you have your dad back home.

Thanks everyone for the concern over my last post, I didn’t mean to worry anyone. I’m just struggling with my health a bit at the moment.
    I have a persistent lung infection that the antibiotics are not ckearing up quickly. Because of how this makes me feel I’m not very active, which makes my joints stiffer and more painful. I am also feeling unusually fatigued at the moment ( this is a normal RA symptom, but I can usually manage it better than this).
    I have an old habit of consoling myself with food, especially when I don’t leave the house all day. While my FDs are always ok, I can’t say the same for my NFDs – some of them have been one long snack day.

FD today, which is a bit of a relief after 3 NFDs.

Hope you all have nice plans for the weekend.

Morning LJ, sorry to hear you’re unwell. Hope today’s FD gets you well on track. Just wanted to make sure you didn’t let things slide too far down the slippery slope! Are you enjoying your new home?

Arel, those are memories to cherish with your family all together. I bet your dad is happy to be with you. Thinking of you.

You too CalifD. It’s nice that you were in constant contact with your aunt and spoke just before she passed away. The curry pie came with a pastry lid and chips. Did I neglect to mention that? I ate them all too despite OH eyeing them off wondering whether I would be righteous about it.

Lindsay, you made me laugh so much about the scales! They became over-excited at your low weight and exploded with joy. Seriously, I am shocked that could happen too.

Cinque, you’ve let me down. I drank two cups of coffee and you’re still not here.

Good morning.

Stay, your post yesterday came in while I was writing. How busy you are. And what good chooks. Yum for frittata. Your DD will be so glad to get into their home and settled, how lovely to be getting it all ready.
    I hope the NO BISCUITS part of your day went well, and best wishes for your lovely dinner this evening.

I am having a surprise fast day today because the evening baby sitting I was going to do on Thursday was changed to today and then to tomorrow.
    I’ll fast today and then babysit tomorrow.

Thin, I hope that lamb curry pie was as delicious as it sounds.

I always thought scales took a couple of days to show up how wicked you have been (more proof they are not scientific instruments but roguish imps). Or was that just my scales?

Lindsay how wonderful to see Vika Bull singing Etta James! Just seeing the interviews and clips are so wonderful, the actual concert would be brilliant.
    And then that breathalyzing nearly ruining the whole evening! Cruel.
    And Oh dear those scales. Who are the roguish imps in your house? 😉

My next door neighbours could not have children, and then Ollie’s sister carried their baby for them. Such a special story. Their little girl is called Etta, and I wonder if it is because of At Last!

Arelkade, I am so glad you had that precious time with your dad and siblings. So poignant. It sounds like your brother is getting the care he should now. And great news that your dad is with you.

Cali, I am glad about the candle.

I usually have those reusable bags in my boot, they have been around in Australia since 2002. I do love the design with a good base and easy to carry and to pack.
    There is a lovely bit in ‘Kath and Kim’ (sitcom) where they have a pantry packed up to the ceiling with reusable shopping bags and then when they arrive at the supermarket Kath says “Oh No, I forgot my shopping bags!” And then “Oh well, nevermind, I can buy another one.” There is a lot of that going on at the moment!

LJoyce, so glad to see your post, but also sorry because lots of pain and a persistent lung infection is even harder to deal with than just the mental exhaustion of the last few months. Best wishes http://www.sharanim.com/en/Get-Well-Soon/Get-Well-Soon-White-Flowers.gif

Best wishes all.

Ha Thin, I am slow this morning. And off to make my first coffee.

2nd post: 6.50pm Saturday

Thank you LJoyce, Thin and Cinque for your kind comments – very much appreciated!

LJoyce – thinking of you and hoping you are feeling a lot better real soon, no fun being so unwell – healing hugs being sent to you 💐.It’s been a very challenging, busy time for you for months. Hope you new home is giving you much pleasure!

Dad hasn’t stopped smiling since he came home on Thursday. He’s looking the best, and now so relaxed – love him dearly!

Hi to all those just checking in and having a read, and also to everyone else – you are all very special people!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend and bye for now!

Just heard on the radio: “We are having record temperatures. There are water shortages. Large areas of the country are on fire. Our cricketers, footballers and other sports people are being successful. When did we become Australia?”

Haha Penguin. Well, all the UK 5:2ers better join us here!
    My sympathy for the parched land and fires and long heatwave though.

I had a good fast day yesterday. Cheers to you Thin and the all the Sunday fasters.

Arelkade it is lovely to think of your happy dad enjoying your home.

Well I’ve got my next go at rye bread on the rise, this time with half rye flour, and I added some yoghurt as I read that rye likes a bit of acid. It has been 24 hours and it hasn’t moved much at all, so now I am worrying the yoghurt might make it go off before it rises. I’ve warmed the oven and put it in to give it a boost.

That’s all my news. Cat’s on my knee. Cup of tea beside me. A little weak sun shining through the tree outside the window. Good morning.

Morning Cinque, how did your Saturday FD work out? Fighting fit for today’s babysitting duties? Will I be the sole Sunday faster or are you with me LJ? – oh, snap Cinque, we posted together, good luck with the rye.

Good morning all.

I fasted yesterday and it was an easy day.
    I plan to cook a tomato eggplant & mushroom ragout today. I have soy pasta and wholemeal wheat pasta that I plan to combine to serve with it.
    Lung infection is still being persistent – I started the second packet of antibiotics today. My gut bugs are going to hate me.

Cinque I use yoghurt in slow rise bread. If you add enough it can give you a slight sour taste to the final loaf – milder than sourdough. The flavour goes really well in rye bread.

Have a niceSunday everyone.

Is it Sunday?

Good Morning to all the early risers or late to bedders; the posters, readers, lurkers, and all you lovely 5:2ers. Hi Cinque, Hi Thin, LJ, Arelkade, CaliD, and all you others I haven’t read yet. Welcome to any newbies – I will attempt to read back over the last 3 pages over the next few days, but I know the experienced 5:2ers here will be answering all your questions.

Mr Merry and I are back in the house, though I’m the only one awake. I did wake up in the night and think I was still in London, or somewhere Englishy, but the house was cold, and it’s quite warm over there. Back to our Monday/Thursday fasting Australian style tomorrow. Today will be no food till after 12noon as per my usual personal 5:2 style.

A special Hi to penguin and Mrs penguin – lovely, lovely people, and we are blessed to have you here with the Southern Hemisfaeries.
    Penguin does indeed have a wonderful veggie garden, and I have viewed the amazing asparagus with my own 2 eyes, along with some other healthy veggies.

I have yet to get up and brave the scales, but I still fit my clothes, using your method Cinque.

Plane food on our 2 flights was OK-ish, but I gave the starchy carbs a miss. At our stopover to sleep in Singapore I had 1 very small veggie samosa and shared a fruitplate – watermelon, green melon (? jet lag blank), paw paw and dragonfruit which I’d never had before.

My travel scales went on the blink 2 weeks ago; tried a new battery and still not working; tells me I weigh 0.00kgs.

Sorry not to be in touch more. We both chose different, but wrong options, with our phones, which made even texting each other a challenge at times. Wifi was less reliable than we expected eg. accomodation stating there was wifi, when it was not secure, patchy, and when it was good I needed to be in touch with family, or just tumble into bed and sleep.

We did, however, have a wonderful holiday, met some lovely people who we wish could be close by. We’ve covered a lot of ground, and touched base with part of our ancestral home.

Foodwise, I’ve tried things that were different but worked at keeping quantities under control, and sticking to my usual no breakfast. Mr M has breakfast most days. We didn’t manage to self-cater as much as we wanted to, and for me that means I’ve had to dodge various bread, pizza, pasta, and potato options.

Time to brave the scales!
    Onwards and Downwards,
    Merry

Welcome home Merry. It seems you’ve been away for ages …. those travel scales sound marvellous!

LOL Thin.

Check-in: 65.8kgs

Last eight I could find was 9th May before we left for UK was 65.0kgs. FD tomorrow and another couple of days to get past jetlag, and I’ll see what Tues or Wed is. My goal was to come home at the same weight I left.

You were successful Merry! That was a lot of weeks of careful eating. Well done! My travel scales are looking forward to their trip.

Welcome home Merry! So lovely to have a good post from you. And a follow up post showing how well you went with weight steadiness on your wonderful trip! Congratulations. You will love getting back into your favourite routines now.

LJoyce I do hope your cooking today is enjoyable and successful. Sending best wishes to your gut bugs. The good ones you have in there must be great survivors by now and you will get their numbers back up again.
    Thanks for the message about yoghurt in my dough, it made me more confident. The loaf is on its second rise now, and while not very stretchy it has a lovely texture (and smell).

I also made pork medallions with an Asian style coleslaw. Twice! And there is another portion of medallions in the freezer. A very delicious and healthy and quick meal. Since it wasn’t a fast day I had a portion of noodles too.

I learnt a new term the other day: ‘cognitive reappraisal’. That’s when, rather than trying to distract yourself from hunger on a fast day (or any other difficult feeling) you look at yourself from the outside like a scientist would, and notice and analyse what you are feeling. Research found it is often a more successful strategy than distraction, for getting through. I had thought of it as mindfulness, which is right, but it is cognitive reappraisal too!

Thin, your scales had better behave themselves when you are in Sri Lanka! Hi to DD next time you are chatting to her!

Hi Merry. Glad you made it back safely. I don’t know what you did to our weather system whilst you were here but we have had a couple of weeks of hot dry weather and the met office have just told us we will probably have it for all of July!

Viewing 50 posts - 16,351 through 16,400 (of 28,012 total)

You must be logged in to reply.