Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,896 replies, has 831 voices, and was last updated by  thinatlast 1 day, 4 hours ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 16,301 through 16,350 (of 28,000 total)

• Cinque. That link is interesting. A different philosophy and whilst I don’t agree with it all, eg I can do physical work whilst on a water fast, I certainly feel much livelier and presumably less stagnant whilst on a water fast.

Sybscairns. Where the memory came from I don’t know and I don’t guarantee it’s accuracy, but to me rice porridge was “congee”. My colleagues from northern China, who tended to be taller, were not great rice eaters.

Hi
    I’m Erin from Sydney. Started on Thursday. Fast day Thursday & Monday

@penguin – yes, I think in Chinese restaurants it’s referred to as congee, in Indonesia it’s bubur

@penguin ,55 years is really long. Hongkong returned to China in 1997. You’re right, “Zhou” is my family name. In China, including Hongkong and Taiwan, from ancient times to now, the first word in the name is family name, which represents where I came from.

Xinxin. It is unusual for anyone on these sites to use their real name – very brave. I was in Kong Kong in 1963/64, but even then we knew we couldn’t keep it. I spent much of my time as the only none Chinese in a fishing village north of Kowloon, running kayak and hill walking courses for teenagers from the resettlement areas of Kowloon. I was only 19 myself when we started, so discipline was a bit relaxed! It was then a beautiful part of the world. I went back 21 years later, when it was still a colony. The village was much more prosperous but the sea water was no longer clear. I have some good memories, it was a fascinating year.

Good morning,

Welcome Erin! Lovely to have you here.
    Congratulations on starting 5:2.
    I do hope 5:2 suits you because the best thing about it is how it can be sustainable.

It is day-before-fast-day for me, and I had a bit of a feast day yesterday, so I am having a light, mindful eating day today (she says determinedly). I’m going to make one of those big pots of veggie soup with all the bits and pieces I can find in fridge and pantry and garden.

Penguin, what an adventure for a 19yo!

Best wishes everyone for a good day!

A little while ago I did my Saturday morning weigh-in, and I am a smidgin under 75kg (74.8kg) – just the encouragement needed, and the confirmation that 5:2 works. I started on 01 February at about 87kg! I am not posting this to brag, but to encourage everyone to stick with 5:2

Congratulations Sybs! Please brag away! I love hearing these results. Will you relax your 4:3 regime now that you’re on a steady roll or carry on with it? What about when you reach your goal weight? As a lover of curries from all over the world, I used to eat vast quantities of rice. It seemed a benign thing to put on a plate and I never realised the damage. I no longer eat it at home and, if I do indulge in a restaurant, my portion is now miniscule.

Welcome Erin, this marks the end of your yo yo dieting. You have embarked on a new, sustainable way of eating for life. If you choose to accept it.

All you have to do is ask ‘where is everyone?’ and you quickly find out. I’ve enjoyed the ex-pat stories. Good to know that you’re still out there LJ. The infrastructure services are an embarrassment. I suspect it might not be all bad not to be ‘connected’ as it forces us to pursue other activities. I’m looking forward to being ‘unconnected’ in Sri Lanka as I don’t travel with any devices.

Cinque, yes Friday night Morse TV! Relished every sentence spoken. It takes me back to a sensible era where people could speak their minds instead of being told by their government/university/media what to think and say. I also enjoy the attention to detail of the 60s clothing, food & furnishings. Another programme noted for its impeccable attention to era detail was, ‘Foyle’s War’. Did you ever hear the rumour that the theme music for the original ‘Morse’ revealed the killer’s name in morse code?

I shall be joining you tomorrow. I have all the ingredients for the Hairy Bikers’ Healthy Cottage Pie and will enjoy my steaming, microscopic portion eaten very slowly with a teaspoon.

Sybs, another great piece of feedback from the scales! You are managing to lose at twice the pace I did! I think you do have bragging rights!

I made a very good soup. I’m going to call it Borscht even though it only had one beetroot in it. The beetroot has dominated, colour and taste. It has lots of white beans and some barley, I added the diced beetroot and pressure cooked them all and that was excellent. I like beetroot cooked that well. Then I added some mashed butternut and tomato (thickening it a little) and some carrot, green beans and kale, and a dash of vinegar to make it properly borschtish. So tasty and hearty. Fridge and freezer stocked.

Thin, how long now before you head off to Sri Lanka? And how is DD going with her work?
    I didn’t stay up to watch Endeavour last night, after all, but I have watched it now. Very good. I agree with you about Foyle’s war too. The period detail is wonderful.
    I did enjoy your link, I had no idea about the morse code! But reading it reminded me that I wanted to look up Barrington Pheloung because, after years of only ever seeing his name re composing the music on the Morse series, last week I noticed he was only credited with the theme (and the same this week). And I found this interview and he mentions the morse code! http://dmbarcroft.com/the-endeavour-interviews-barrington-pheloung/

It is an inside day here. Cold and dull. But a good day nevertheless. I hope it is a good day for everyone, inside or out, fasting or not fasting.

thank you thin and cinque – at the moment my target is 65kg which would see my BMI back in the healthy range. Once I get there, I’ll revert back to the traditional 5:2. Today and tomorrow are NFDs, but I have noticed that I eat pretty much the same as on FDs, with the exception of maybe a small glass of wine with dinner, or 1 square of Lindt chocolate after dinner

Thanks Cinque, I enjoyed the interview. His was always an intriguing name on the credits and I’d never before thought to investigate (again, my ‘devices’ aren’t with me in the TV room).

If I could handle beetroot, I’d have thought your soup sounded delicious. I’m sure its colour was beautiful.

An outdoor, sunny day here and one for walking 12km into the city only to discover that Mountain Designs has gone out of business. We’d hoped to get some zip-off pants for our trip. I’ll only buy them in a sale as I’m not paying $179. Less than two weeks, Cinque. And, thanks for asking, DD is thoroughly immersed in the vet centre and the nearby hill station, eating with her right hand, assisting with all sorts of unusual surgeries on donkeys and dogs as well as performing & teaching routine sterilisations to newly qualified Indian vets. Such a worthwhile charity. What about Rose? Did she have any success in the recent competition?

I took a long time to post that and Sybs has arrived in the meantime. That is quite amazing that the only thing standing between a FD and a NFD is a glass of wine and a square of Lindt. I hate to think how long my list could be. For example, when the purpose of going into town was quashed today, we were forced into the Margaret River chocolate shop which offers free samples of dark, milk and white chocolate. And other goodies. Then we had to go into the Nespresso shop for coffee samples. I suppose I did walk it off.

I am so lucky that we don’t have a Margaret River chocolate shop here, nor do we have any decent French patisseries – much less temptation to overcome – Nespresso shop is not an issue for me, as I refuse to buy a coffee machine :-))

Why is that Sybs?

so I can’t be tempted eating more “goodies” than I should :-)) I just love chocolate and French pastries

I meant why do you refuse to buy a coffee machine?

Oh, I guess I am just old fashioned and don’t see the need. Talking about coffee, I really stocked up on my currently favourite brand which Coles has on special at the moment. $3 for 250g instead of $5.30

I understand the convenience of the Nespresso & other pod machines but I wouldn’t buy one. My Rancilio has given me 11 years of faithful service and I’m content to continue hand frothing and tamping.

Morning all. Sybs and Thin, I’m with you on the pod machines. The environmental impact of so many used capsules is the reason. I’ve used them in hotels and love the convenience, but at home I’ll stick with my cup filter. I’m the only coffee drinker, so it works well for my 2 cups a day.
    It’s been ages since I logged on. I’ve been following the discussions, but I’ve been going through a bit of a tough patch, so have been a bit incommunicado. Still, light at the end of the tunnel.
    Congrats Sybs. Always great to hear about success….it’s motivating to read about others’ progress.
    Welcome Erin and ni hao Zhou….hope you find this way of life rewarding.

Hi Lindsay, good to have you back. I didn’t like the sound of all those capsules in the landfill either. I think I read that they’ve addressed that now with some sort of re-cycling programme – still, it would probably be better without them. While we were in their shop yesterday, there were many packs of pod sales happening but I didn’t notice any empty pods being offered back for re-cycling. I put my coffee grounds in the compost.

WA begins its ban on ‘single use’ plastic bags this month. Apparently bin liner sales soared 30% in other states when implemented. I must admit I find it mildly irritating as I usually do my shopping on the way back from my 5km walk. It now means carrying re-usable bags on the walk. It’s another incidence where I’m not allowed to think for myself. Some shoppers arrive at the store with their reusable bags in their car. I choose to do all my errands on foot, thereby lessening my environmental impact in a different way.

I really don’t fancy the thought of some of the food residue (chicken?) leeching into the reusable bag and then later being used to carry more food. Surely this poses a food hygiene issue. When I mentioned it to someone, they told me that I could first wrap any meat products in a plastic bag from the fruit and veg section! So, apparently, we’re not doing away with all the plastic. Surely fruit and veg are items that definitely don’t require plastic? How’s this all working in your state/territory?

I use the thin fruit/vegie plastic bags as freezer bags.

That’s good idea and one I shall adopt right away. I use the larger plastic bags as bin liners. What’s happening in California CalifD? Thirty years ago in the supermarkets, we were offered, “paper or plastic?” at the check-out. Like being given a choice between chopping down trees or adding to landfill!

Hi everyone,
    Tough FD yesterday but I persevered.
    I feel stronger today and have baked muffins which are cooling and teasing me. I’m determined not to touch them until my guests arrive this afternoon. I’ve even told one friend how many there are so she can keep me honest.

Thin, SA gave up plastic bags at least a decade ago and we heard all the same complaints before they came in. You adjust and it feels normal. We had a 12 month introduction with shops encouraging shoppers to buy and use the reusable bags while the plastic was still available – it made for a fairly easy transition.
    Like Sybs, I reuse veg bags as freezer bags – I turn them inside out first in case there were chemical sprays on the fruit & veg. I do buy bin liners now, where I would have used the shopping bags for that before they were banned, but I always had more shopping bags than I needed as bin liners, so there is an environmental saving. I really like the chiller bags as they keep frozen foods in much better condition for the journey home.
    You’ll find that lightweight options will become available that will solve the shopping while walking issue. I found some that fold small enough for a jeans pocket or they fit easily in a handbag. Basically, once there’s demand, new bag options will become available.

Hope you are all having a lovely Sunday. Good luck to the fasters.

Thanks LJ, I look forward to a miniature option. It’s interesting that SA is still using fruit & veg plastic after a decade. These items come to the store in cardboard trays so it makes sense to offer them to customers on the way out. Spuds do this but Coles, Woolworths & IGA don’t. When DD was in school, 8 families ran a veggie co-op and the designated shoppers for that week took everyone’s laundry baskets for sorting after visiting the markets. On the three weeks that it wasn’t your turn, you’d get a laundry basket overflowing with random loose fruit & veg. home delivered for $10.

Good afternoon,
    I missed my morning post by making myself start on the finance part of the YamDaisy Business Plan and then took off to visit my daughter and family.
    Continuing my Fast Day Distractions I stopped at Savers (op shop) on the way home and I did find a few things I was looking for, and then called at the supermarket for, among other things, broccoli and carrot for my miso soup. And I used NO plastic bags. Tick.
    And now it is only a couple of hours until soup time! A lovely Fasty McFast Day.

I am going very Russian at the moment, inspired by my beetroot (sorry Thin) and the Russian Cafe I went to with my sisters the other morning. I bought some rye bread there, but was disappointed with it (too sweet and kind of cold and heavy). I had a sugar cravings reaction to it. Lucky it was a very small loaf. Anyway I want to make my own loaf with part rye, so I bought some flour (I looked for rye berries but no sign, Sybs) at the little grain and nut shop. It was labelled RAY FLOUR but I think it is rye, and rye is how it came out in the accent of the lady who runs the shop.

Thin, so exciting to be getting ready for your trip. Pity about the shop closing. DD sounds like she is having a great time. What a wonderful adventure.
    My daughter, and everyone else, missed out on the crocheting record, as they didn’t quite make 600 participants, and the record is 604 (all crocheting at the same time for 15 minutes). Next time!

What an excellent co-op you belonged to. I used to shop at a co-op too, bringing all my own bags and jars, and used to get my veggies from a wonderful farmer called Mary Knight. At this time of year it was all silverbeet and pumpkins, but so many things in summer!

Lindsay, such a treat to see you here! Hello and best wishes. So sorry to hear that life has been difficult. Hooray for light at the end of the tunnel. I hope the tunnel is not too long.

LJoyce, congratulations on persevering through a tough fast day. I bet you are enjoying a muffin with your friends as I write. You’ll be enjoying every bite.

Good wishes to everyone. Hoping for a post from you Cali. And Merry, are you home yet? Intesha? Teapot? Stay and Gday? Oh dear it is the end of a fast day, my brain can’t go on, but you know who you are if you are reading, and my good wishes are for you all.

Hi. Does it count if I am a Southern Hemispherite by birth but now living in the UK?! This looks like an interesting forum and I am just starting out. Like the idea of your plastic-ditching shops. There are very few of those near me but the farmers’ markets are brilliant. Any tips to help me keep going on this plan would be much appreciated ☺

Hi Candysdog, Welcome here.
    Being born this end of the world definitely qualifies you! (actually we don’t say no to anyone 😉 )
    I clicked on your name (in case you had a profile) and saw you were one of the early ones giving 5:2 a try!
    Hopefully being part of this group will help, I certainly found it helpful and have learnt so much listening to the people with more experience than me, and listening to the wide variety of people working out how to make 5:2 sustainable in their lives has been so interesting and so heartening.

My tips?
    Make it a priority.
    Slow and steady wins the race.
    Make it sustainable and do-able in your life.
    Soup is great on fast days!

That’s a start anyway!

I’ve just finished my big bowl of miso soup and the evening has settled in. Looking forward to the wonderful ‘day after fast day’ feeling in the morning!

Hi candysdog, welcome here. We let anyone join us! Especially so if you tell us which part of the S.H. you hail from. Ask us anything. Between us, we know it all. Not really, but there’s always someone who can help. My tip for keeping going is to master the two FDs before you change anything else. And consider it a way of life, not a diet. Weigh and measure everything and read Dr M’s book before getting started.

Ah, Cinque, you’ve beaten me to it! Too bad about Rose not getting the new record – there’s always next year! It sounds like you’ve had a very productive FD today as have I. OH & I both found new zip-off pants on sale at different shops for $71. And my Hairy Bikers’ Healthy Cottage Pie is bubbling away in the oven. Probably not the healthiest FD fare but it does serve 8 so, there’s only 50gm lean beef per serving. Actually, I’m not really hungry yet because I didn’t get my 2pm feeding until 3.30pm today.

Thin, the bags that fold up small I think may be made from nylon. They fold up into a small square. When we first went to no plastic bags here I think every womanI know put one in her handbag.
    It must be the week fior hearty meat efficient meals. I made over 4 litres of chilli con carne with 500g beef mince and masses of minced veggies. My freezer is getting full again.

I’m quite proud of myself for a fairly restrained NFD which did include just one of the muffins I made this morning (pecan, orange and cranberry). The leftovers mostly went home with guests and a few went into my freezer.

I think my first FD for the week will be Tuesday.

Hi. Thanks for your quick replies Cinque and thinatlast. Yes, I made a very short-lived attempt at this about 4 years ago and gave up quickly when I didn’t lose the weight I thought I would straight away! A bit of a wiser approach this time I hope… I am actually more interested in the health benefits of IF this time round so am not going to obsess over the scales, which should help. Thanks for the tip about the soup. Anything quickly prepared will be a bonus after a long working day.
    I am from New Zealand originally, came over here on a working holiday in my mid-20s and ended up getting married a few years later. I have now reached the strange point where I’ve lived here longer than in NZ, but it still feels like ‘home’ and I still sound like a kiwi!

candysdog. They let me in even though I am a Brit living in Gloucestershire and I have never been further south than Singapore! Where “home” is has no relation to reality. I have lived in over 40 houses, this one longer than any other, but “home” is still 300 miles away in an area I left 50 years ago.

Hi everyone
    Welcome to all the newbies. Don’t hesitate to ask any questions as the people here have a wealth of knowledge about this way of life.
    Thin. We love those zip-off travel pants as well. Hope you have a great time in Sri Lanka. We have just booked our tickets to Uganda and leave the 31st July.
    We too have gone no single use plastic bags at supermarkets. I reused them a lot as we are on septic tanks and have 3 toilets with a small bin in each one, as well as our normal rubbish bin. And I used to use them for the dog poo on the lawn but our dog died and my sons dog has always realised we have 6 acres and so why do it on the back lawn- smart dog. So I’ll buy nappy bags for the toilets and bin liners for the kitchen bin. But I seem to be in the minority as most people didn’t reuse the bags. I wish the supermarkets would use less packaging with their fruit and veg.
    Cinque, good to hear you’ve been able to do some of the finances for YamDaisy. I hope you had fun with the family.
    LJoyve you should be proud of only eating one muffin, they sound delicious!
    I have gone a week without any FDs. OH has been home and he needs to lose weight. He promised me 7 years ago he would never get back to 100kgs and he’s now 108 – amazing how you can convince yourself you aren’t when you never get on the scales. Anyway we had a sensible eating week. It was good for me to get back on track with my NFDs and when he gets back from his trip ( he’s 4WDing and motor biking across the Simpson Desert with 16 other blokes.) he’ll go back on his diet that works for him.
    I’m looking forward to my FD tomorrow and my son is conveniently going to his girlfriend’s grandmas birthday dinner so I don’t have to cook for anyone as my DD is doing a detox and her hubby is away on school camp- to Japan! I’m glad I didn’t have to fork out $6000 for my 4 kids to go on camps like that lol
    Have a good one!! Xx

Hey ladies, I have decided to jump in the pool again. I have had a turbulent time just lately. I haven’t had contact with my mum since 2012 and I finally heard her voice on the phone a few weeks ago. I was so excited, my daughter and I flew to QLD to see her. On the day we arrived we freshened up at the motel and headed to the nursing home (my mum has dementia now). We were able to get in, after waiting for an EN to let us in. Once he took us around to my mum, he headed off, only to return to ask our names. Long story short, we were escorted off the premises due to my siblings having Enduring Power of Attorney and authorising the staff to not let us see, speak, mail, visit or anything with my mum. This couple of weeks have been the most heart wrenching. As a result I am losing weight rapidly without fasting. My auto-immune disease has taken off to beyond belief – major flare when I was in remission (if you can ever call it that). Sorry about the huge rant but I can’t vent to my daughter and my husband’s job is a little shaky at the moment due to re-tendering for the contract he works on. So we will know if we have a job in less than a week – his stress levels are through the roof, worrying about work, me and our daughter.
    Thanks for reading/skipping over this. Again sorry for the length and rant. Paula xx

Good morning,
    Paula, I am so sorry to hear about your awful time. There is some trouble in my family between siblings, and I know how hard it is (luckily we have such a big family that I do have three sisters I am close too). So painful when it is your mum you are separated from. My heart goes out to you. I hope you can find ways to grieve and recover from this incident, to help your health and your own family.
    Fingers crossed that your husband’s contract comes through too.
    I do so hope you can do all the things that help your auto-immune disease and that life becomes easier.
    Do you have a counsellor to talk to? It sounds like you are carrying way too much pain on your own. I have found counselling so helpful. If you haven’t already, it might be time to take up those 10 sessions you can get on medicare.
    Best wishes

Continued…

Thin, I am glad you found your zip off pants. I bet you enjoyed every tiny bite of your HB Cottage Pie last night. When you finally got hungry enough!

LJoyce, what a delicious sounding muffin, it must have been wonderful. Your chili does sound hearty. How nice it must feel to be getting your freezer and fridge all set up to help you eat well.

Candy, we need more Kiwi born people here to balance out all the Aussies. Don’t our first years carry so much more weight than our later years!
    I’m one of the few who doesn’t have bathroom scales at all, and judge how I’m going by the mirror and clothes. It did remove a lot of stress!

Stay, congratulations on your sensible eating week! And your tickets to Uganda. Exciting times.
    Doesn’t weight creep up. Good luck to OH getting back into his healthy routine.

I’ve heard lots of discussion about handling dog poo without little plastic bags! It makes my hassle with lining my rubbish bin seem easy (since I also use recycled supermarket bags, and buying bin liners seems self defeating!). I am going to try having no liner at all, since I do have a compost bin.

Well, off to have porridge for my morning after Fast Day. I will enjoy every mouthful.
    Best wishes to the Monday Fasters and the Monday Normal Eaters. Hope you can make it a good day.

PS Michael Mosley will be on SBS Insight this week, talking about exercise.

Hi Candy – I have been doing 5:2 since 01 February this year, and I am pleasantly surprised. The first few months I did not have any scales, and just went by being able to button up my blouses again, and my pants and shorts getting longer – so I knew that I was loosing something :-)) At the moment I am dropping about 1kg per week, and will try to continue this until I reach my goal of 65kg, which would bring my BMI back into the “healthy” range. As far as the other health benefits are concerned, I am off blood pressure and cholesterol medication, which is great. I have never had a problem with blood sugar levels, so at 71 years I am not taking ANY medication at all, other than the odd glass of wine with dinner on NFDs :-)) I hope this little “history” of my experience with 5:2 encourages you and any new members of the forum to really give 5:2 a go

Cinque – looking forward to Insight with Michael Mosley – he comes across as such a positive character, without hype or being over the top

Stay! Are you going to Uganda to see gorillas? Insanely jealous if so! OH and I were considering surprising DD with such a trip for her graduation as it’s on her bucket list. It’s difficult to plan a date which could interfere with the graduation dinner and ceremony apparently being 3 months apart, no dates provided by the uni, studying for the US exam and potentially attending job interviews.

Sybs, that’s quite a rate of loss. Double my rate of half a kg per week over the year I was losing. Very exciting for you. Dr M seems a fabulous, humble chap who’s changed my life.

Cinque, enjoy your porridge! Yes, I enjoyed every morsel of my FD dinner. It felt quite indulgent and I feared I might have overdone it but I’m down to 59kg on the scales so all is well. I enjoyed the discussion about re-cycling. I have considered ditching bags for composting materials but it becomes a horrible liquid mess at the bottom. I’m happy to make any sacrifice that results in no plastic bags floating in the river but I fear we cannot legislate against stupidity. Cinque I don’t think I want to know how to pick up dog poo without a bag.

candysdog, we occasionally get a kiwi posting here but then they disappear. I’m originally from England so we balance out. I hope you stick around and make a good go of it this time. BTW, I read your post elsewhere, most of us on this thread are older than you.

Welcome back Paula. I hope life gets better for you. Ditto everything Cinque said. Families can be hard to deal with. I’ve been estranged from my mother for 20 years. My brother finds her very hard too and rarely has contact. Our stepmother is equally tricky although I suppose she’s technically no longer our stepmother now that my dad has passed on.

Have a happy day everyone. I’m enjoying the small things – a second frothy coffee and the prospect of playing a halfway decent game of bridge this morning.

I’m sorry I haven’t posted the past few days. My aunt, our beloved godmother passed away suddenly, early Thursday morning. She would have been 89 in August. She and my uncle live in Wisconsin, in the Midwest. My sister is flying back for a few days for the funeral but because of my blood pressure still not under control and being a nervous flyer, my doctor doesn’t want me to travel.
    She and I were very close and spoke by phone several times per week. I’m feeling so sad. Her husband who will be 90 in August and still very active is devastated. They had been married almost 68 years. I’ll post more later. I just wanted you to know why I haven’t been around.

So sorry, CalifD.

Welcome candy and welcome back Paula. I hope everything gets better for you soon.

I am on my first FD for the week today. here’s hoping this week goes like last week, nice and easy.

Cinque I am curious what a sugar cravings reaction is? I think I may have had something like this on the weekend. The only sugar i really have now is in the form of beer. I have cut out all sugar in my tea and rarely eat sweet things. Fruit is probably my sweetest food and I don’t eat a lot of that either. Yesterday Mr Quacka was home in the morning (as there was no surf) and he made some crumpets which I had with honey. After breakfast I was preparing some veggies for the weeks dinners (trying to get organised) and my hands felt all weird. It was like they were shaking or trembling but when I held them out they were actually fine. It was just a really strange feeling. Not sure if its related to the sugar or not.

I have had some other strange things happening with my digestive system also. I get a very bad reaction to fried food if I eat out. I have had it happen about five times now, always with fried foods. I only use olive oil at home and have no problem with fried food. I am wondering if its the oil these places use. I have been doing some research about it on other forums on here. It seems a few people are having similar bad reactions on their NFDs when they eat ‘normally’again…..

Hope everyone has a great day and enjoys whatever they are up to x

@Qucka – a few years ago, I was on a very low carb diet (I was living in Indonesia at the time, and eating large amounts of rice on a regular basis), and for the first two weeks, I felt that I had “the shakes” – so the feeling you have could possibly be the same as the one I experienced.

@quacka – sorry for the typo in your name in my previous post

Monday check-in. The last weekend was the patronal festival of our village church – an extra “songs of praise” service, choir concert, lunch and too many opportunities to eat too much cake. One had been made by OH so loyalty required me to eat several pieces. I am a pound up. There was a raffle with a variety of prizes of chocolate and booze and one basket of fruit. Fortunately OH won the fruit. I had intended a two day water only fast, but it now looks like two days of fruit, which fortunately also works for me, although not as rapidly.

After a cold, snowy start to the year we are now in a hot dry spell and have been for some time. The local weather forecast reckons it will last another couple of weeks, which is as far ahead as I can see. I have three large water butts in the garden for run-off rain water from the green house and shed and one is already empty. In the 16 years we have been here that has never happened before September. In the east of the country they are talking about water restrictions. That happens there most summers, but not usually this early. Fortunately here most of our water comes from the Cambrian Mountains, were it can usually be relied on to rain.

Hi Sybs
    Just double checking did you get the shakes when u gave up the rice? I think that’s what you meant but wanted to make sure.

@quacka – yes, when I cut out rice and most other carbs. I have never added sugar to anything in my life, so that could not have been the problem. It only lasted for about 2 weeks for my body to get used to no rice, no bread, no pasta etc.

Good evening everyone,

Cali, so sorry to hear of the death of your beloved Aunt and Godmother. It is clear how precious she has been in your life.
    I am so sorry you won’t be able to go to her funeral and mourn with the family, but it is important that you look after your own health. I am glad your sister will be there and will keep you in touch with everything.
    I hope you have worked out special things you can do to say good bye to her from where you are. If you would like, tell me the time of her funeral and I will light a little teacandle in my beautiful porcelain candle dome. A little light from Australia in appreciation of a good life.

Thin, I hope your bridge game went well.
    I’m glad you have a professionally trained daughter to work out plastic free dog poop problems 😉 .

Quacka, My sugar munchies are the brain signal I get that I really need to keep eating, even though I am not hungry, and no matter if I am full.
    However your symptoms are common. I googled them. Not the best science, but the only explanation I could find is that the nerves in your hands (and sometimes your feet) swell and cause numbness or tingling. And it was also called a ‘sugar rush’
    So you get sugar rushes and I get sugar munchies. I also get awful poisonous hangover symptoms from eating sugar, which is the main reason I don’t have it any more.

Sybs, yours sounds more like a hypoglycemic symptom. I guess you retrained your body to get its energy more healthily.

Penguin, so many celebrations in your neck of the woods. Enjoy your lovely fruit. I hope the hot dry spell doesn’t last too long. Hooray for water butts.

End of a busy day. Best wishes all.

Cali I’m so sorry for your loss. Take care of yourself during this difficult time xx
    Thanks Sybs and Cinque for getting back to me. It’s strange I have sugar rushes from sugary food but not from beer. Then again I don’t drink beer first thing in the morning lol
    NFD for me today. I’m going to have a mindful eating day though and then 2nd FD tomorrow. I thought I would find FDs easier in winter but I’m not. Summer is much better for me. I get really cold on FDs even though I drink plenty of water and now also having my ginger and peppermint tea. I will keep on doing them, just have to crank up they air con at work.
    Have a great day everyone x

Good morning everyone.

NFD for me too Quacka. I agree with you about winter. Remember, no honey for your breakfast! 😉

Look! I wrote a short post!

@chinque and @quacka – NFD for me as well :-)) this morning I tried something different for breakfast. I ground 1/3 cup of rolled oats/quinoa/spelt mix into very rough flour, added one egg, a few sultanas and water to make a batter (not too thin). A little olive oil spray in the frying pan, and voila, I had a yummy, healthy pancake. Topped it with some stewed apple. Unfortunately I have run out of sunflower seeds, so could not add these for a bit of extra crunch.

Viewing 50 posts - 16,301 through 16,350 (of 28,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply.