Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,907 replies, has 831 voices, and was last updated by  thinatlast 4 days, 19 hours ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 15,351 through 15,400 (of 28,011 total)

• Cinque, 😁😁😁😆🤑🤑🤣!

Nancy, I didn’t count calories on NFD, but did try to eat mindfully. I lost about 2 lbs per week the first few weeks, then 1 lb per week, and towards the end, less than a lb. per week on average. There were several plateaus, especially toward the last kgs.. I’m not that patient either, but figured in view of how easy this plan is, I could afford to be more patient. I think the biggest thing for me was to never miss 2 FD per week. I rarely abandon one once I’ve started. I do change the days ahead of time to accommodate holidays or trips or meals out. I think if you start skipping one week, it’s easy to do it again, and before you know it, you’ve gained back a lot of weight. Even now in maintenance, I never skip FDs. I’ve put away all my larger size clothes so I can’t afford to gain weight again.

Good afternoon SHs,

My nurse did arrive on time this morning so I’ve had my infusion. Feeling rather tired (which is normal just after treatment), but no nasty side effects thankfully. I’m just pottering this afternoon, no big tasks planned.

Nancy, I had big issues with my NFDs because I had years of binge eating habits to deal with. I did find that initially I had to monitor calories on NFDs otherwise they cancelled out the FDs and I got stuck on a plateau. Over time I eliminated most discretionary foods to just one modest thing per week and ate a healthy balanced diet the rest of the time. Then I found that I could ease off on the monitoring. Many people never have to monitor their NFDs. I think it depends on how low your TDEE is (mine is 1400 cals and I need to stay at this level on NFDs), and also what your “normal” eating pattern is. The general guideline is that if you are following 5:2, sticking to the 500cals on FDs but not losing weight, then you need to look at what foods, quantities and calories you are eating on the NFDs. So I’d suggest you wait and see how things are going after 3-4 weeks. It’s a lot of extra monitoring and it can make you feel like you are on a diet every day, which is not helpful, so only take this step if it’s really necessary.

Quacka, the nurse takes my BP 4 times over the 2 1/2 hours that she’s here doing the infusion. It’s always lower than at the GP’s surgery, and both my BP and pulse fall the longer I’m sitting on the lounge. So taking your BP at home can be very helpful at giving you a more reliable indication of what it is in real life. You may find that you get quite different readings at different times of day – I have an uncle who monitors his BP at home and he sees a lot of difference in time of day – although in his case I suspect it’s connected to when he takes his BP meds and they take effect.

Paula, Thanks for the tip, but I’m in Adelaide, so a trip to Perth to buy sheets might be fun, but a bit pricey – I’m on a budget here.

Cali, something I learned yesterday is that I need to see and touch textiles before buying. I had found and chosen everything online before heading to the shops yesterday, thinking the preparation would save me time. But none of the online colours were the same as in real life and you can’t determine texture, so I ended up buying mostly different things to the plan. So many sheets have a “sateen” texture these days and I want a crisp linen feel and I can’t see that online. There are also more shades of white than you realise until you try to match different bedding – this was also a sticking point when I was looking yesterday – I need a warm white and most of the bedding was a cool white.

There is a Sheridan factory outlet only 10 mins drive from me that I haven’t tried yet and their prices are usually reasonable, so I’ll try there later in the week.

I fasted yesterday and just broke my fast with a large bowl of raw muesli with extra bran, almonds and a banana. Tasty, masses of fibre and very filling as a combined breakfast-lunch. Even though I don’t eat at breakfast time it doesn’t mean I have to give up breakfast foods.

I just decided to go down to the Sheridan shop and within 5 minutes I was walking out the door with white sheets that should work well. Good price, reasonable quality and thankfully a shop assistant that made up for some of yesterday’s frustration. Relief – one more thing to cross off the list.

I’m just contemplating afternoon tea. I might splash out and have some toasted fruit & walnut bread with a cup of tea.

CalifDreamer & LJoyce Thanks for the Info. Monitor the NFD sounds the plan. :))

LJoyce, how nice to have a Sheridan factory outlet nearby. From their website, it looks like they have some beautiful, high end linens. And outlets often have some very good prices. It must feel good to have all f that shopping finished now. And these are all things you can take with you to your new place.

I’m glad your infusion went well. I didn’t realize it took that long. Do you talk with the nurse or read while you wait? I hope she was completely over whatever was making her sick.

Nancy, I’m glad you’re settling into your FDs. They get easier as time goes on. Having a routine list of the things you eat on FD can make it easier. I often delay lunch until 2 or 3pm if I don’t feel hungry. The urgency to eat goes away after a while.

Hi everyone

Successful NFD today – came in just under 1200 calories (allowance per My Fitness Pal); TDEE is 1526 cals; 76.4kg today – lowest yet; only 1.4kg to 1st goal of 75kg – fingers crossed I won’t have to wait too long! Feels really good.
    We currently have weather warnings for flooding rain over the next two days, so I hope they are wrong!

Merryme: look forward to hearing from you again in April – best wishes for your secret venture!

Intesha: Here’s hoping for a very relaxing travel time away for you – all the best

Cinque: Hi to you. I will try a liquid fast again – have done two successfully this year, but 36 hours is enough for me – could never do 5 days like some! Hope you have kept safe from all the bad weather, and bushfires, recently

Penguin: You should be settled nicely back in Gloucester UK now – hope the weather is very kind to you

LJoyce: Your new floors boards are probably looking pretty spectacular by now – still don’t know where your energy comes from, but good on you, very impressed. How are the soft furnishing purchases going – what fun for you, or maybe not after reading a later post!!!
    My scales are currently on a downward trend – maybe you waved a magic wand!

Thin: congratulations on your weight loss

Hi GDay, Stay, Calif, LindsayL, Quacka, Paula, Nancy and all others.

Enjoy whatever you are getting up to and bye for now!

PS: noticed I missed reading page 308 – so sorry, catch up later!!!

We got back yesterday afternoon. I read all of your posts whilst away, but on a somewhat intermittent wifi. Lots of activity from the familiar names and some new names. Welcome to the new names.

We were lucky to get there and back – our local airport was closed by snow the day before we went and the day before we came back. Whoever is in charge of the weather likes us – lots of people had serious delays. Coming back we went from 20 C to Zero C in a 3 hour 20 minute flight. Because we usually go in late winter we were prepared – lots of layers in our hand baggage to add as we got further north. There is plenty of snow still around the house. All I have to do now is catch up with the admin and lose the six pounds I gained. The admin will take half a day, the weight loss, because it is a spike not a steady gain, will take a couple of days of serious fasting. That will start tomorrow when we have got some sensible supplies in.

Penguin, welcome home! Good to see you back home on this thread and knowing you’ll be posting again on a regular basis. The six pounds should be gone quickly with your fasting. They could at least warmed up the UK before you arrived! 😁

Arel, congrats on the weight loss and hitting your new low.👏🏻 Keep your eyes on that 75 kg which you’re probably going to see very soon. A shopping trip for new, smaller clothes can’t be far behind, even if it’s a trip to the op shop. Having a few new smaller outfits is great motivation to stick with the program. I know that I look at my new skinny jeans and think twice about eating anything that would make them too tight again. And feeling then growing looser by the week is also a great motivator!

CalifDreamer. It got as high as 6 C today with 10 C forecast for Thursday. That gives an entirely new sense to the expression “Fat burning”

Nancy. Two fast days and five relaxed worked for me as well. A saw tooth graph – lose weight fasting, put some of it back on, lose some more but the trend was down. Over time my eating on non-fasting days became more sensible.

Arel. Cali is right – try something smaller, it is a great encouragement. When I got near target one I bought a slim fit Polo shirt (albeit XL, slim fit sounds contradictory) and I still feel quietly pleased with myself when I see that label.

We keep hearing reports of weird weather for the SH – could it be the dust from all of that floor sanding?

Cinque. The wifi was intermittent whilst we were away – I seem to have missed a lot. So well done for whatever it was that Cali gave you all of the smiley faces for.

Hi penguin:

Welcome back!

I had a problem once with a quick six pound gain. If you have not read it, it might give you a chuckle: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/easy-on-easy-off/

Take care.

Sim. According to the scales in the gym where I was staying I gained 8 pounds on the flight out, then another six whilst staying there. My bathroom scales said I lost 8 pounds again on the way back, but agreed I was up six. I don’t really trust any scales, but if they are consistent I can work with them.

I am bigger than average (height as well as width) so six pounds is a relatively small percentage of me and it will go quickly.

I am glad to hear that beer does not contain calories. When a blood test recently showed a vitamin B12 deficiency I was advised that beer is a good source, so a good food all ways.. Your day out sounds like the life of a strolling player at Wars of the Roses battle re-enactments. We get paid in food and tokens which can be exchanged for beer or the local cider, which is lethal.

Hi penguin:

Agree on scales. I calibrated my old one mentioned in the post by setting it to ‘accurate’ scales I happened to stumble upon – like those at my doctor’s office or in a gym. My wife hated the scale because it gave her unfavorable information.

A couple of months ago I broke down and purchased an electronic scale. I put it on a solid floor where it wouldn’t have to move for much of any reason. When I got on it, I was surprised to see it gave me a weight that was very close to my old scale. When my wife got on it, she came over and kissed me. Seems it read several pounds less than the old scale read for her.

One of my best investments this year!

Good Morning

back home after a quick 10 day trip to Bali! Had a good time and tried to eat sensibly, however, I did have ice cream twice and a stubbie of beer 3 times in that 10 day period! Now it’s back to normal, healthy eating and walking. Unfortunately the village where I spent most of my time is not suitable for walking, another reason why I am happy to be back in Cairns, with the botanic garden starting right at my bedroom window. But Julie is away in Singapore, so if there are any other forum members who live in Cairns, and who would like to join me on early (7am), 1 hour walks, please let me know.

Morning all, fasting Wednesday. I’ve spent some time reading backwards up the posts trying to catch up.

CalifD, I read that you have put your large clothes away. It took me some long time to accept that I really was a size 10. For months, I continued to take the larger sized clothing into store fitting rooms with me just in case. I culled the size 18s and 16s pretty quickly but it was a matter of years before I got rid of the size 14s and eventually the size 12s, finally accepting that this is my correct weight and where I belong. I have come to accept myself as a slim person only after having maintained this weight for nearly 3 years.

Arel, well done! 75kg is a great milestone. You’ll be there soon.

Welcome back Penguin and Sybs.

Nancy, I can see that a Friday weigh-in followed by a weekend of indulgence could set you back a bit each week. I chose Sunday for one of my FDs because it was the day we were contemplating starting fasting and I thought why not start now? But Sunday has proven an excellent choice because it limits the weekend damage. If something comes up on a Sunday, I switch to Saturday, continuing to limit any weekend insult.

Quacka, sorry to read of your BP issues. I was over-medicated for spiking BP years ago with awful consequences. Thankfully a new doctor put me on a 24 hour BP monitor which determined I didn’t require any medication at all. My new weight has seen my BP stay low for the past several years. My OH who’s never gained an ounce since high school, has been on BP meds for decades. It’s inherent in some people. I wish you a good outcome as you take control over the aspects that can make a difference.

Cinque, good luck tomorrow with your scan results.

Gday everyone
    Hope you are all doing well.
    So I bought the BP monitor yesterday and went home after work and measured it. It was much lower than the doctor’s surgery reading but still a bit high. I still haven’t taken the medication as I thought I might monitor it for a week or so first.
    This morning I measured twice and whilst still lower than the doctors reading it was higher than yesterday. I checked with the pharmacist today and she advised that I should start on my medication and still check once a day at home. She said it will usually take a couple of weeks to start lowering the blood pressure anyway.
    Well that means that tomorrow morning I am starting the tablets. No more being an ostrich!!
    I am on a FD today and doing great. Just had some miso soup and konjac noodles for a bit of lunch. The miso I made from paste as the instant soups are ridiculously high in sodium ( I am now a label checker for sodium as well)

Thank you all for your well wishes regarding the BP. I’m sure it will be fine once it is all under control. 🙂 🙂

Sybs, welcome home. Good to see you back here! How was your trip to Bali? You were there on holidays, right? Or was it for business? Cairns looks like a beautiful vacation spot to me, so I can see why you’re happy to be home too.

Quacka, BP changes a lot over the day. In fact, if you check it 3 times in a row each reading will likely be different. I used to make myself crazy checking it throughout the day. Now I usually just check once a week or so. There are lots of different BP meds. Sometimes they need to be changed or a different one added. By the time you get down to your goal weight you may not even need them. It’s good to have the monitor to check.

Thin, it is hard to think of giving away or donating my old clothes. They are in a box that I stashed in the attic. I guess I still have fears of gaining the weight back again. But it’s been almost 3 months and I’m maintaining easily with the 5:2. Having the 2 FD is just part of my normal routine now. It does seem to be kind of a feast or famine thing lately though. I overeat on a lot of NFD and then lose it on FD. It seems like it’s not the healthiest way to eat, but I’m staying mostly in the 58s.

I harvested the kefir last night. It had spent 16 days in a fridge, then one in the kitchen. The result is a thick, creamy fluid with a taste that is very acceptable. We haven’t started to fast yet, but I’m already down a pound – no holiday temptations.

Hi everyone

We have some beautiful rain that’s supposed to last about 3 days, with temperatures averaging 22 to 24 ‘C – feels so much better than 45’ heat. Hopefully we’ll get more Autumn weather.

Down to 76.1kg this morning, CD today – feels good, but not too excited just yet! Carb intake and water load can play funny games so I’ll just have to wait and see what eventuates. Currently counting all calories, each day, to get back on track! It’s working.
    Calif, Penguin and Thin: Thank you all for your encouragement. My clothes are all loose fitting just now, maybe 75kg will be new clothes time!!!

Calif: I’m with you – I need to make sure never to miss 2 FD per week, and am happy to change the allocated days to allow for life events; I also need to watch my carb intake – it affects my weight so easily due to insulin resistance.

LJoyce: Hope you are feeling a lot better today after your infusion and the tiredness is waning. It’s so good that your Nurse can come to your home and make it all a bit easier for you – travelling when ill is not much fun. Also good for your blood pressure! Glad you found the sheets – it’s a happy feeling and a very big relief, when you find exactly what you are looking for. Sheridan has a vast range and I usually find what I’m looking for there. Wish we could see the finished product of your renos – I’m just amazed at what you’ve been able to accomplish!

Simco: Enjoyed reading your link to ‘easy on, easy off’ – just what I needed to read, very informative and understandable!

Sybcairns: Welcome home from Bali – hope you are all relaxed, and that JJulie will be home soon to accompany you on your morning walks!

Cinque: Best wishes for very good scan results!

Hi to everyone else!
    Must go – enjoy whatever you are getting up to and bye for now!

Thinatlast – Yeh i was considering a Sunday FD – will evaluate after Fridays weigh, and adjust if necessary. Feels a bit to easy to indulge on a NFD – I am not even sure if I am being normal or overindulge normal – LOL – Today I certainly cheesed & carbed out too much. However I do seem to be able to completely avoid the ice-cream at the end of the day.

Hi to Everyone :))

Good evening SHs, hope you’ve all had a good day.

Arel – You are inching ever closer to that goal of 75kg, well done. Your garden will love the rain. I think the rain starts here on Sunday.
    I am lucky to have a community nurse who comes here to do the infusions – my only other alternative would be to go to Flinders Medical centre where the chemo day patients have their treatment – a lot more stressful and time consuming. Because the medication is so expensive the PBS scheme pays a very large amount of money for each patient’s treatment, so the drug company is making good profits from it. Because of this they actually fund the community nurses.
    You might get so see photos of the finished reno, I’m hoping I’ll be able to post some photos online with links.

Nancy, I concur with Thin’s advice and experience. Letting my hair down (food-wise) for a whole weekend would cancel out my 2 FDs and probably leave me in deficit. I feel nervous if I don’t do a FD on the weekend as it does keep my week in better control. I also like a Sunday fast if possible. I think it’s also worth thinking about your current goal – to lose weight. How you approach 5:2 and the food choices you make when trying to lose weight will be different than using 5:2 for weight maintenance. To lose weight on 5:2 it is important that you stay around or under your TDEE on the non-fast days (even if they fall on a weekend). Once you reach your goal weight then your daily TDEE will be lower than it was when you were heavier (it deceases for every kilo lost and every year older – sorry). However in maintenance, you can go over your TDEE either a little bit every day or a lot on one day if you do the 2 FDs weekly to balance it out. A few of us here are using 5:2 to maintain our weight so it can be a bit confusing when we talk about how we approach our NFDs and what we eat – because we aren’t trying to lose weight. If you haven’t done it already, I’d suggest going to the “How it Works” link at the top of the page. They use 2000cals as the example of TDEE but it’s important to know your own as for most women here it’s much lower than 2000. Be conservative with your activity estimate when using the TDEE calculator. I think there’s a lot of merit in calculating the TDEE for your goal weight and seeing if you can stick to that on NFDs as this will be the foods and portions you’ll need to be eating when you get to goal. I think practicing this while losing weight makes maintenance easier, especially when the FDs in maintenance mean you can have those occasional indulgences and still maintain that lower weight.

Penguin, I’m glad you are home safe and that your kefir survived your inattention.

Cali, you could always compromise and cull the bigger clothes. My weight fluctuated a lot over the years and I found that even when I regained weight there were plenty of larger clothes that were so out of fashion they couldn’t be worn again (remember the fashion for dropped waistlines). So if it’s a style that will date quickly, don’t keep it. If it’s a classic, especially if it’s good quality (eg a good work suit or expensive classic overcoat), then it’s worth keeping for a while if you have the space. If you were sick of it anyway then get rid of it. Once you’ve been at your current weight for a while you will probably be ok with ditching even more of the larger clothing. I got rid of things in stages and only in the last year did I finally get rid of all of the big clothes, except for a couple of oversized shirts which were good for gardening and have made excellent painting shirts. I also kept a small number of high quality garments that I loved and have I’ve cut down and remade for my current size.

Quacka, good luck with the BP monitoring and the meds. At least by checking you have reassured yourself that the medications are actually necessary.

Sybs, I think your indulgences on holiday were remarkably restrained actually. It’s so easy to throw caution to the wind on holiday. I hope you had a lovely holiday despite not being able to go for walks.

Well I’ve finished nibbling on my dinner now. I think it’s time for a cup of tea.

Well explained LJ. I missed some of the posts on the previous page but had previously read that the floor sanding was your last major job so assume the worst is all behind you now. Amazing job and within your time frame too.

Nancy, I didn’t see your last post until just then. It takes a while to get into the rhythm and you want to make sure it’s all sustainable. So, take it slowly and you’ll eventually find what works best for you. But if you do decide to join me, LJ and Cinque for a Sunday fast, we’d love to have you with us!

CalifD, I’ve been thinking about what you said about feast and famine maybe not being the most healthy way of eating. I’d like to think it’s fine! Even if we aren’t going to the fasting extremes required to enter into ketosis, autophagy, cell breakdown and eventual renewal, I still like to feel that it’s doing us a lot of good.

Our style of fasting requires discipline and a level of control over food which many of us didn’t have before. It’s also helped us shape our food desires and portions. I think you’ll find those blow-outs will lessen over time (perhaps when the stressful aspects of your life have been eliminated). You haven’t been maintaining for very long. This style of eating is working so well for so many of us – it beats the alternative. Being a healthy weight is key to our physical and mental well-being. The two FDs are the backbone and we’ve got them conquered. We can continue working on the NFDs forever. Or just say we are!

Thin & Cali, I don’t think what I do now is feast & famine. Even on NFDs my food intake is modest compared to most people I know. A true feast would take me more than 2 FD to counteract. I proved this over christmas – the extra christmas foods required at least 3 FD per week to keep my weight stable, and I actually had to do 4 FDs in that last week after christmas – just to maintain my weight. With a low TDEE I feel like the FDs allow me just enough leeway to feel normal on my NFDs, but I still need to be careful with food choices most of the time – definitely not feasting.
    I might also add that my dietitian has said that calorie variation between days is normal.

Thin, thank you for your wisdom on the feasting and fasting. I do think at some point when some of the stress is removed, I’ll be less likely to overeat. I should add that the overeating is almost always due to snacking, not to meals. And much of it is after dinner.

LJ, I wonder if your metabolism is somewhat slower than normal because of the very low calorie diet you were on before you discovered 5:2? I also wonder if that is slowly readjusting now, since you’ve lost some weight lately that was unexpected. Of course, it’s hard to know because of all the physical work you’ve been doing on your home and maybe eating less because you’re busy. It will be interesting to see if it slowly continues after all the reno work is finished. I’m thinking (hoping) that it will.

Hi everyone

Just popping in to say good morning and hope you all have a wonderful day.
    Our top expected temp is 21’C – so different from the last few weeks, and it’s still raining – all so nice. It’s 7.30am and still fairly dark – daylight saving finishes on Easter Sunday.

Really enjoyed all the wonderful information in the above posts – thank you LJoyce, Thin and Calif for sharing your experiences and knowledge. It’s all so helpful and much appreciated.

Enjoy whatever you are getting up to and bye for now!

Ha, LJ, I didn’t mean feasting as in a Henry VIII banquet, but relative to our FDs. Cinque, I used to snack after dinner. Somewhere along the way, I just stopped doing that without even realising.

Arel, enjoy the cooler temperatures. It was 37C here yesterday. Hoping that was the last of it, although it has been a particularly mild summer so can’t complain.

Thinking of you Cinque.

Good morning everyone, it is beautiful here! Must be the whole east coast Arelkade!

Thanks for good wishes re the scan results but they rang me up to change the appt to April 5th. I was taken aback as I thought if the specialist was away someone else could easily tell me the scan was fine, but my sister has assured me that my specialist will want to see me for 2 minutes so he can put his bill into medibank.

I’ve had a nice couple of days with family, but overdid it, so taking things slowly. It is Thursday fast day, but every 90 minutes my brain keeps asking “What’s for breakfast?” I gently remind it.

Nancy I also got confused about normal eating on a normal day, but then I realised I did have in my mind a picture of what a normal plate of food looks like, and that snacking should only be a couple of times a week, not a couple of times a day, and that is what I am training myself into eating on Non Fast Days. Work in progress though.

I am finding I need to have something specific to do after a meal, because that thing of ‘feeling full after 20 minutes’ doesn’t seem to work for me, I need to distract myself for an hour or so.

Cali, it seems to be part of the journey working these things out slightly differently at every phase. Good luck.

Penguin welcome home. Enjoy that ‘no calorie beer’, and those excess 6 lb will be gone in a moment! 😉

Sybs, welcome home! I hope you had a wonderful time in Bali.
    I was thinking of you as I read a wonderful piece about tempeh making in a book I got from the library about vegetarian dishes around the world. The Indonesian section included a piece by Sri Owen on watching it being made.
    I also saw some for sale when I went with a friend to visit the superyuppie store in nearby Westgarth. Proper white! I will buy some sometime.

Quakka, if you bought your miso paste from the refrigerated section, it will have the added bonus of containing millions of wonderful microbes to help your microbiome.

LJoyce, glad you got your sheets, and your infusion out of the way for another month.

Thin, thinking of you waking up and looking forward to your frothy coffee.

Yes I’ll be fasting Sunday this week.

Thank you Thinatlast – I will definitely keep it in mind. I am afraid I am feeling very down today on my FD – light headed – and a bit miserable – sorry to be so self indulgent. The Hot Cross Buns are SCREAMING at me this very moment, and the butter is smooshing right up next to them.

I am gonna walk the dog. Perhaps I should have weighed myself today, it could possibly have given me extra encouragement. :(((

Thanks Cinque & LJoyce – this is great info. I will re-read how it works – and find my TDEE – which is what by the way :)))

Hot cross bun tomorrow Nancy! Hide it today. It will taste perfect warmed up, and you will enjoy it even more after a fast day!

Enjoy that walk!

And you can use the online calculator here for your TDEE: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/how-many-calories-on-a-non-fast-day/

Thin, are you psychic? You responded to my info about being hungry after a meal before I posted it! :O

Nancy, are these the HCBs from the supermarket or some you’ve made? I take a particularly dim view of the marketing. Our Coles began selling them at the entrance of the store on 3 January. I didn’t mention it at the time because last year when I had a whinge about it, it sparked several pages of posts of HCB recipes. I think the marketing stinks to high heaven. When was the last time you saw some healthy fruit & veg. on special at the entrance of the supermarket (unless rotting)? For this reason, I refuse to buy them not only in January but also at Easter whenever that is. Their job is to push equal fat/sugar ratio products that make you keep coming back for more. My job is to fight back and resist. I’m winning.

Cheer up! That HCB will still be there tomorrow and, if you still want it, you can have it then. A walk with the dog sounds way more fun to me.

Treat yourself to some expensive indulgent herbal teas. Madame Flavour offers a good range if you have that in NZ. There’s one called choc orange which smells divine and you can feel a little bit naughty on a FD drinking three cups from one tea bag (sorry LJ, eyebrows raising).

Your TDEE is your daily energy expenditure.

P.S. Ah Cinque, you beat me to it. 😆 Yes, I am psychic, yet have no idea to what you’re referring.

thinatlast – Thank you :)). My husband bought the HCB – LOL – he is very supportive, but forgets. Just did my calculations –

BMI – 35.0
    BMR – 6693kj/1600 calories
    TDEE – 10375KJ / 2480

Correct me if I am wrong but on my NFD if I kept to 2,000 Cal & did my 2FD – I should be losing weight and doing just fine. ??

Nancy, I added a bit more to my post above before I saw your reply. You are losing weight, no? 12.3kgs down didn’t you say?

On your FDs, are you calculating absolutely everything, milk in tea/coffee, herbal teabags?

Well meaning OFMs have a tendency to forget if they’re not fasting. This is another reason I rarely change my FDs – it lets my friends and neighbours know that I mean business on those two days. I will change if I have to but I prefer that people work around me. Yesterday, two of my neighbours wanted me to join them for coffee, knew it was a FD, and that I can’t deal with black coffee and went and checked that the new cafe offered herbal teas before inviting me along! I had a nice peppermint and ginger.

Hi Nancy, I can imagine how you felt around the buns & butter. My first supermarket trip after getting back from Bali really tested my resilience – but I got through it without buying any chocolate (my main enemy). However, I did get a packet of four lovely light rye sourdough bread rolls. I’ll allow myself 1/2 roll on NFDs, which is about the same in calories as 1 slice of bread.

Hi Cinque, the first thing I did when I arrived in Bali was to get 3 small packets of tempe, which I took to the village where I was staying, as the restaurant at my friends’ resort always runs out. Sure enough, when I asked for gado gado with tempe, I was told – sorry, no tempe. I just smiled and asked the staff to look in the fridge:-)) gado gado are steamed or boiled mixed vegies, 1 soft boiled egg and a little peanut sauce drizzled over – yummy and relatively low cal. I have had a Sri Owen Indonesian Food and Cookery book for about 30 years now – it doesn’t only have great recipes, but also lovely pencil drawings of typical tools and ingredients.

I better stop now, as I am starting to feel “alarm signals” in my tummy, which I need to ignore for another two hours :-))

Good morning SHs,
    I’ve had my 2 cups of tea and am now feeling like an almost alert human.

Nancy, sorry I made some assumptions didn’t I.
    The calculator on the link I suggested will tell you two things:
    BMR – basal metabolic rate (energy needed if you spent the entire 24 hours confined to a bed or chair)
    TDEE – total daily energy expenditure (energy needed for an average day with an “uplift factor” included to account for your nominated activity level).
    https://thefastdiet.co.uk/how-many-calories-on-a-non-fast-day/
    The premise of 5:2 is that you will eat at approximately your TDEE on the NFDs. There is so much public promotion of 8400kj(2000cals) as a normal daily intake that it’s easy to overestimate how much we should be eating daily. Gender, age, height, weight and activity level all affect your TDEE – and unfortunately most of those can’t be changed. When I first understood my TDEE I was shocked as it seemed so low. But I’m not alone, there are others here who also have to live with a TDEE that is in that 1300-1500 range. I had to actually learn what my serving sizes and food choices needed to be to “live within my means”. It was an adjustment process and I had to count calories on NFDs for a while. The changes are well bedded in now and I no longer count calories any day, not even FDs as I eat the same range of meals that I know will be within 500 cal. Basically I had to change my thinking and behaviour regarding what “normal” eating should look like for me. That doesn’t happen overnight, you have to give yourself time to make those adjustments and make them permanent. I find at home I adjusted easily, but eating with family or friends I had to remind myself that just because someone else could eat a larger serve or a high cal meal, it didn’t mean my body required the same amount of food or calories.
    PS, I haven’t bought any easter buns yet – I can’t be trusted around them. I have to divide them up and freeze them so that I just thaw one at a time. Just remind yourself that there will always be another easter and the buns will be back in the shops by next January!

Cali, I wouldn’t be at all surprised if my previous dieting has had an effect on my metabolism. I suspect it’s always been on the low side (just thinking about how easily I gained weight as a child when I ate the same foods as the rest of the family who were all thin). But my weight has varied by up to 50kg several times over the years and I’ve done more diets than I can count. In the end, why it happened doesn’t help as I can’t change my past behaviours. I have accepted that it is what it is and I have adapted. I also know from this reno process that the more active I am the more food my body requires. So I do have a behavioural change that is within my control that increases my TDEE. I just have to find a way to stay active after I move from this house.

Cinque, that’s frustrating about the delayed appointment. I’m hopeful that if the news was serious they wouldn’t have delayed it. We’ll keep our fingers crossed for you a little longer. Like you, I also find that an hour is about the time after a meal that I have to finds ways to not eat more food. I need to find distractions immediately after meals, especially lunchtime as it’s my first meal and eating it seems to be the “ON” switch for my appetite.

Thanks Cinque – HCB Tomorrow – walked dog :)) been to the gym: No wine since Monday due to Wedding Anniversary. So no reason to be :((

Hope everyone is having a cruiseeeeee time.

Nancy

Cinque, I have just seen your 10.59 post. I missed that one somehow. All is clear now!

Have a great day everyone. Stay strong fasters!

Hi Thinatlast

3kg down in a month. :))

counting milk in coffee, didn’t think to measure herbal tea!! I am sticking to the menu in MM’s Fast Diet book.

Sybscairns – Well done you for getting through the supermarket unscathed. This morning was hard with those HCB staring at me. But I think I am gonna get through. LOL

LJoyce – LOL January HCB – Thanks for the information – didn’t realise all that calculation was there. My Exercise regime is pretty good, a habit I have always had. Now to get the wine & dine habits under control. Day four almost done. I can do this. :))

Good afternoon all.

I managed to get some sunshine today by doing a few outside repairs that have been awaiting my attention while I worked on the house.

I’m just about to order some bales of pea straw which will give me more jobs in the garden. I’m actually looking forward to spending time in the garden again. It will make a nice change. I also have some help from my niece over the next couple of weeks to get the final cleaning and presentation ready.

I had though about doing a FD and couldn’t make up my mind. In the end I went for a controlled NFD. So far I’ve had muesli and yogurt and a banana. I’ll reheat one of my legume stews from the freezer for dinner. Tomorrow and Monday will be FDs as fasting this weekend would be too difficult.

Nancy, 3kgs in a month is fantastic! I lost 2kgs a month steadily while in weight loss mode. And I was very happy with it. I have since read a lot of people feel it’s slow but a trend down is all you need. Losing weight is more interesting that maintaining the loss so no need to rush.

Herbal tea might be only 4kj per bag but, if you get in the habit of counting everything that passes your lips, it will prevent the occasional spoon-licking behaviours, sipping someone’s else’s wine, etc.

Wining and dining – well enjoy yourself along the way. Over time, your habits will probably change. Since embarking on this WOL, I have come to almost dread restaurant meals. Italian is virtually out of the question unless I’m prepared to have the same old Caesar salad. Indian is now without any appetisers, rice, breads or desserts (but still plentiful and delicious). Anything served in a doorstop of bread or with a bucket of fries is a thing of the past. I always check the menu before I leave home and decide upon a menu item so there’s no impulse ordering.

Alcohol, well, enjoy it if that’s your habit but maybe try cutting down if you’re serious about health and weight loss. One glass of alcohol then one glass of water. It’s empty calories and it’s a carcinogen. Tonight we’re going to our jazz thing around the corner (with a few neighbours in tow) and we’re drinking pitchers of water. I found out quite late in life that I can have fun without alcohol. On the other hand, the other night I had to give a deputation to our local council about the draft short-stay accomm. policy they’ve introduced. I was so nervous. When I got home, OH cooked me a lovely dinner (seafood marinara) and poured me a rum and coke. I enjoyed it all the more due to rarely indulging (the coke was horrid; rum rather good).

You’re doing fine. Enjoy it.

Good morning,
    Another lovely day in Melbourne.

Thin, that was a well deserved rum!
    I’m glad you found my post. 😀
    (I said in it that my brain was asking for breakfast every 90 minutes, when actually it was every 90 seconds). (But it is day after Fast Day today, so it is a very happy brain getting some good breakfast).

Nancy I hope you are contemplating your well deserved hot cross bun! Enjoy every bite!
    3kg in a month is brilliant!

Sybs, I am so glad you got your fill of tempe in Indonesia, and gado gado, yum. Ofcourse you would have at least one of Sri Owen’s books! (I have borrowed them from the library). I hope your fast day went well.

LJoyce, thanks, yes, a meal does seem to put the ‘ON’ switch and forgets how to turn it off when I have had sufficient.
    Enjoy the gardening!

I’m off to make my coffee. Lovely.

Love a good gado gado and can make a pretty decent one myself. Have a marvellous day after fast Cinque.

Nancy, do tell. Are you happy with the scales? Did that HCB seem as appetising this morning?

We enjoyed yet another talented jazz band last night. Some neighbours went with us and were very impressed. We now have long-term tenants next door. Yippee. Judging by the amount of stuff they arrived with (three enormous moving trucks), I think they’ll be here a while. I can’t even imagine owning that much ‘stuff’. I spend a lot of my time trying to downsize. We’re hosting a big garage sale this weekend with friends.

Thinatlast & Cinque – :((((( 100grams – at least its in the right direction. Think I better watch my calories on those NFD. Did you get up a dance to the Jazz Thin :))) ???? OH – Explain please – I think I understand the H = Husband – but O?

The HCB was there this morning, I had 1/2 and then thought I am not really enjoying this, replaced with Porridge for BreakFAST, then slices of smoked chicken for lunch. :))

LJoyce – legume stews sounds nice – any chance of a recipe – I am not that familiar with working with Legumes and that kinda thing.

OK off to work – hope you all having good days FD or NFD :))

Hi everyone. Just checking in.
    Still wet here and all the dams on nearby farms are overflowing. Rain came just at the right time for greening our area – was very dry! Will now be feed in paddocks for farm stock.

Thin, so glad you have new, long term neighbours – hopefully much quieter than airbnb tenants – your hard work with other neighbours and Council has been worth the effort. Good on you!

Off to visit Dad in NH. Enjoy whatever you are getting up to and bye for now!

good morning all – another beautiful day in Cairns. Just making some stewed apples with 1 tbsp of sunflower seeds (I like crunch in my food), 1 tbsp of sultanas for a little sweet treat, and a pinch of cinnamon and mixed spice. The smell wafting through my place is beautiful!

this is so weird, yesterday was a NFD and I wasn’t hungry at all, didn’t even bother with dinner, but had a small glass of white wine instead :-))

Been to Coles and bought 2 x 10l casks of drinking water, stocking up my cyclone kit – I have a bad feeling about cyclone Nora which is tracking in a south-easterly direction.

hope everyone is having a wonderful day

Hello again,

Nancy OH is ‘Other Husband’ 😀
    Just joking: ‘Other Half’

What an interesting experience with your hot cross bun. Hooray for your good taste.
    Hi to your dad.

Thin, hooray for the music and the neighbours.

Sybs, I’m worried about the cyclone Nora too. Borroloola is where I taught and while it looks like it will stick to the Queensland side, I am thinking of everyone around the gulf.

Your stewed apple is making my mouth water!

I am experimenting with ‘gorgeous water’ to have instead of soft drinks. It must be gorgeous and sugar free. Steeped a ‘Passionfruit and Hibiscus’ Tetley teabag in two litres of lukewarm water and then sparked it up with juice from a lemon. Very nice.
    These fancy new herbal teas make it easy.
    I presume all the gorgeous T2 brands would work as well?
    Any suggestions are welcome (I want them to be available in the YamDaisy Cafes we are planning to sell delicious healthy affordable food).

Cheers all.

@cinque – you are an “old” bushie just like me – I used to work at Wave Hill cattle station in 1967 :-))

Wow, lots of posts since my last one! Cinque, the first thing I thought of in response to Nancy’s question was “other husband” too. 😁😁

We’re getting lots of rain here too. Our high was about 15 C so a little warmer than it’s been. It seems to be feast or famine as far as the rain around here. I hope Hurricane Nora dies out before hitting Australia.

FD for me today. We went out to dinner for OH’s Birthday last night so hope today makes up for the extra food.

Hello everyone,

I just signed up to the forum, I am in my very late 30s and living in WA fairly remote. Wanted to try out 5:2 because after a while on any other diet I seem to get bored and start eating unhealthy. I would like to lose between 5-9kg.
    I did the dukan diet a year ago it worked well lost about 10 kg and put 5 back on. my BMI is 26 so classified as overweight. I don’t like exercise and never stick with it, but have a very physical demanding job and get around 10.000 to 15.000 steps daily. Basically just would like to join the forum to not do the journey all alone.
    Regards
    Teapot2018

thank you simcoeluv, will check it out right away

Viewing 50 posts - 15,351 through 15,400 (of 28,011 total)

You must be logged in to reply.