Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,907 replies, has 831 voices, and was last updated by  thinatlast 4 days, 6 hours ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 12,701 through 12,750 (of 28,011 total)

• Cinque – do you have your test results or do you have an impatient wait for those? Glad the FD went well.

I agree about the meringue – I never liked it wither by itself or as part of a dessert. I used to be able to say no to lemon meringue pie for that reason. Then cafes started making lemon or lime curd tarts and I found that a whole lot harder to walk away from those. Thankfully it’s not something I would ever try to make myself so it’s a rare cafe treat that I’ll limit to 2-3 times a year. It’s also such an intense flavour that a little bit goes a long way.

Penguin – if the kids and grand kids could see today’s pie & burger they might rethink their view of your food choices. I also worry about the amount of soft drink I see my family drinking. I am really thankful that I never developed a taste for it. I grew up on cups of tea, rainwater and an occasional glass of cordial. Nothing much has changed, except that I haven’t had a glass of cordial in years.

I had my main meal for lunch today – a grilled kassler chop, a small serve of veggie gratin and 1/2 bunch asparagus. So dinner was a small bowl of soup and 2 slices of the wholemeal seed bread that I baked this afternoon. All the remaining bread is now sliced bagged and wrestled into the freezer – finding space for 2 loaves was a bit of a challenge.

I get results next Thursday LJoyce, and there is another test I have just before the appt.

I did used to like meringue. Infact I adored it. I remember crying at primary school back in the 1960’s when the tuck shop stopped selling meringues!
    When I got older I stopped liking the lurid, hard, bought meringues, but I made them at home and cooked them this they were crisp with a tiny touch of gold on the outside and a tiny bit of stickiness on the inside. They were probably my favourite thing in the whole world! I had to grieve when I realised that even if I could eat sugar without consequences, they would now be too sweet for me.
    I have to grieve for a good homemade marmalade in the same way!

But I have just been planning what I am going to cook tomorrow and it is an Iranian Kadu Chelou, a rice dish with pumpkin and little meat patties. Who needs meringue and marmalade when I can have such beautiful food!

What a lovely meal you made, and a lovely freezer full of deliciousness!

Night now!

Ive never been much of a sugar person and I’ve never given MissD cordial, fruit juice or soft drink although if we go out for a meal (which is very rare these days) she will have a small lemonade. She always gets an excellent report at dental checkups yay yay!

At gymnastics tonight I watched a child aged about 6 ask her mum for a drink. The mum offered her a bottle of home brand vitamin flavoured water which I am sure is absolute rubbish. The child asked for plain water and was abruptly told to drink the bottle because it was more healthy than plain water. She refused it and then wasn’t allowed to go get plain water from the tap so went thirsty. Go figure ?

On SBS tonight was the first part of a British documentary about obese children and junk food. Really interesting stuff and so many totally ignorant lazy parents. Yes harsh words but seriously – blaming the Government because they fed their kids junk food and couldn’t be bothered preparing and cooking healthy foods. I will stop talking about it now as it made me so angry I want to scream and I may say something I will later regret.

Oh I forgot to say that I came home to a big batch of puffy thick kefir grains – another yay yay.

Cinque – that iranian dish sound really interesting – if it turns out well would you mind posting the recipe – I’m always happy to add to my bulging recipe file.

GDSA – I also watched the “Junk Food Kids” program. I agree that the food parents feed their children sets this horrible cycle off – whether it’s a knowing choice, ignorance or just giving in to nagging that leads them to those food choices. It’s a stark reminder that a whole generation is likely to be blighted with obesity – as the doctor dais 90% of obese children will remain that way.
    I had really mixed emotions watching this, because I was taken right back to sitting in the GPs room with my mother as a 4 year old being told I was too fat, I wanted to crawl into a hole and hide.
    The child with the rotten teeth was also a familiar story. As a toddler my niece wouldn’t drink anything but soft drink – she had all her baby teeth extracted by the age of 5.

For those of you who have found the documentaries on food and obesity interesting I want to mention another. It’s called “Secrets of the Kitchen” and is on SBS at 3:30pm on Thursdays. It’s looks at a range of households and their food choices, cooking, family meal times etc. It’s a British program and features a range of families (and one share house of young men) across the country. I was happy to see just how many men in the families did most of the cooking. As much as I hate all of the reality cooking shows, they have at least made it ok if not cool for men to know how to cook.

Time for a cup of decaf chai and bed.
    I finally have my rescheduled physio appointment tomorrow – last week’s appointment was called as the physio was sick.

Today’s newspaper headline: “Research shows six meals a day may be better than three for the overweight.”

In the UK we have programmes about obesity and weight loss on the TV most days. Poverty and obesity are usually linked together by our journalists and policy makers. Healthy food is apparently more expensive than junk. Any suggestion that ignorance and obesity go together and cooking fresh food can be cheaper is taboo. Obesity has become a class issue, with all of the political and social baggage that goes with that. I buy cheaper cuts of meat from the village butcher. I am one of the few. He can sell steaks and chops, but reckons most of the population don’t know what to do with anything else so it gets minced to make his burgers.

Fairly new statistic – the average person born 20 years after me has a shorter life expectancy because of obesity and lack of exercise.

Duck egg question. Our girls are both laying everyday now so will make a cake using duck eggs this weekend. Ive googled substituting duck for chicken eggs with conflicting advice which is -use the same number of eggs or use 2 duck for 3 chicken. Has anyone any experience or advice on which way to go?

Oh by the way, MissD named the ducks Garry and Larry – keeping with tradition in our family of giving our animals names from the opposite gender.

GDSA. I haven’t had a duck egg for years, but when I did I worked on the 2 duck for 3 chicken basis. Around here calling a child a duck egg is a gentle way of saying that whatever has just happened wasn’t very clever.

A mate who bought a small holding named his first goat Vindaloo so the kids had no doubts about it’s future.

Good morning everyone,

Welcome here Stay! How are you going?

Welcome back CM! Waving to my Charlie (as his honorary aunty) and to his new buddy Lucy.

Progress report: Capital L “Life” is continuing with another and sad challenge, as DFIL has passed away, but we are doing OK. Tuesday FD got to late afternoon. Fasted again yesterday and did well till later in the evening when I undid all the good of the day’s fasting. . I am craving sugar inthe evenings, and also forgetting to walk-away-from-the-kitchen. I will continue to do 2FDs.

Merry

Condolences to you and OH, Merry. I’m sorry for your loss. Celebrate his long life and be comforted by all you both did to look after him so well in his final years. Look after yourselves.

Good morning everyone,

Merry your message came through as I posted this, but I have got back in to edit it.
    Farewell to your FIL. I am glad he made it to his 100th and I am glad he can rest in peace now.
    best wishes to you all.

x

Back to my original post:

Ha, I’ve just written a post on a different thread how happy I’ll be to share the chelou recipe if it is good. Oh dear, and it is only the start of the day. But now I have written it here too!

I’ve taped that junk food documentary, but I am not sure if I can bear to watch it. I do think it is a social problem that we have all these different small families where adults are meant to provide good food every meal. When we lived in tribes, in large household and extended families it was much easier. It is hard work getting the food organised. It isn’t just the cooking it is the planning and the shopping and storing and preparing and then the cleaning up afterwards. Once there is stress and illness and disability and poverty it becomes really difficult.

When I was sickest, if I said to my daughter “I’m too ill to cook” she would jump up and down and say “Yay! KFC!” I love cooking and can cook efficiently and it amazed me that it was easier to drive through peak hour traffic and buy KFC (for her, I didn’t eat the stuff) than to cook something simple. But it was.

So different from when I was well and a group of friends dropped in unexpectedly and I would happily invite them for dinner and be whipping up food and entertaining at the same time!
    Those were the days!

I’ve seen bit of the “Secrets of the kitchen” one too!

Well, I’ve enjoyed a lovely post fast break fast and now it is time for coffee.
    best wishes all. Cheers to the Friday Fasters, and good wishes for the rest of us working out the difference between hungry and non hungry eating today.

I had a frivolous post written but then Merry’s popped up while I was editing it so I didn’t want to write nonsense before adding the above first.

Penguin, your mate has the same sense of humour as my OH. He wanted to name DD’s first rabbit ‘Stu’.

GDSA, are the ducks allowed to marry?

CM, OK great, I’ll email you about meeting for coffee.

Cinque, you must know by now that I wouldn’t ever say anything politely under my breath! I’d have said it out loud if I were thinking, β€˜Well, you will eat bread!’ but I wasn’t. I know it affects different people in different ways. You’re right, I lost my head about the pronunciation of Cinque.
    Some losers think they
    Can eat bread like cinque (Chinkwei)

We’ve never had soft drinks in the house. (Well OK, I buy tonic water to help my guests ease the gin down and as a defence against malaria.) DD was never offered soft drinks anywhere and my friends, in defence of their own practices, claimed that she’d ‘rebel’ when she became a teen and drink it by the gallon. This proved nonsense. She doesn’t drink them at all and I’m proud to say isn’t interested in alcohol either. I can’t understand why anyone would purchase soft drinks, let alone feed them to a child. I don’t venture down that aisle (unless I need tonic water) but I note that the sticky drinks take up an entire aisle. That tells you a lot.

I’m not sure if it was all the talk about paint and new carpeting but I decided to paint the living room yesterday. I like to do a major project whenever OH is away. Mainly so I don’t have anyone supervising me and telling me that I haven’t cleaned the paint brushes satisfactorily. But, when I went to stash the roller in my secret place in the freezer (a means of avoiding cleaning if you intend to continue within a day or two), I found a paintbrush I’d deposited there a couple of years ago. Anyway, half the room looks great and I had lots of fun listening to my music and dancing to my favourites. We used to promote dancing by ourselves on this thread as a feel good strategy. Does anyone else do this? My faves yesterday were ‘Dancing With Myself’ and ‘White Wedding’. Yes, there’s life in the old girl yet.

Morning all.

GDSA, re your duck eggs for baking. No experience but I’d think 2 for 3 should work as long as they’re not substantially larger than say extra large chook eggs. I always use extra large in baking instead of large, without issues. I seem to remember egg white to yolk ratio is a bit diff in duck eggs (more yolk) so should work. Will be interested to hear how it goes. What are you planning to make??

Planning to get my sourdough starter fed and ready to bake something tomorrow morning. Also making some Golden Paste this morning….great for arthritis and has helped my sore hands a lot.

Weigh in for me this morning. Down .9kg to 64.2. (although yesterday I was 63.6…..ahhh what happened!!!). So since Monday I’m down and I’m happy with that. Let’s hope the wheels don’t fall off over the weekend!!! Decided on another FD today just in case.

Have a fabulous Fri-yay. CM xx

Hi “Aunty” Merry! So sad to hear of your loss, but a good innings regardless. My mum (hopefully) hits the big 100 in March next year. She’s still sharp as a tack, just those pesky legs have given up on her. It’s never easy though. Take care. x

Merry – so sorry to hear of your loss. Sending you a digital hug.

GDSA – with the duck eggs, go by weight. Modern recipes assume that hens eggs are the 55-60g size (the 700g cartons). So just weigh the duck eggs when substituting (you can weight them whole with the shell still on).
    Really old recipes often state eggs by weight as they assume people won’t have eggs in uniform sizes (that’s a modern thing). I have some recipes from my grandmother’s era where you weigh your eggs first, then every other ingredient is proportionate to the ounces of eggs.
    The other thing is that, for most recipes, small differences in weight don’t make a noticeable difference.

Thin – I have never heard of putting paint brushes in the freezer – not you’d find room for it in my freezer!

Penguin – the media tend to link obesity with socio-economics here too. The more recent stats I’ve seen on this topic show that there is a link, but also some differences in gender here (wealthier men are more likely to be obese than wealthier women are, but in the poorest households the opposite is true). This trend is slight in Australia, but when I recently saw US stats on this it was a pronounced difference there. It means that to tackle the issue government probably needs more than one approach.
    I have family living in the outer southern suburbs (which have more than their share of people who are struggling financially), but I’ve spend many years living in high socio-econimic suburbs – so I’ve noticed some differences. I’ve noticed differences in access to types of food. The poorer the area the denser the fast food outlets are. They exist in all areas but not at the same density. As an example, in the region where I live there is only one town with a lower soico-economic profile and it’s also the only place in the region that has KFC and McD. In the other towns it’s all expensive restaurants and trendy organic wholefood cafes. However, in the outer southern suburbs there are few cafes and restaurants other than fast food outlets. In wealthier suburbs they have options – fast food, cafes, modest restaurants, expensive restaurants. I tried to take my niece and great-niece out for lunch and we had so few choices near where they lived. Their eating out options are geared to places you can take the kids too, not places that cater to business lunches or the “ladies who lunch” or restaurants geared toward adults only.

Well I have to rush now – physio appointment.

Merry sending heartfelt condolences to you and your family.

Thanks for the duck egg advice. After reading your thoughts on weighing the eggs LJoyce it dawned on me that I cook with my own chook eggs that vary in size (and weight) so I guess unless I’m making something really specific to measurements being exact (like a sponge perhaps) then it probably wont matter much.

Paintbrushes in the freezer is a new one to me too. I usually just wrap brushes and rollers in alfoil and they last days. I never wash out rollers I just bin them – too messy and a waste of water.

FD is going well and have been for my lunchbreak power walk. Cant wait to get home to check on my little kefir babies !

Merry, I’m so sorry to hear of your loss of your DFIL. 100 years is definitely a life to be celebrated and perhaps some things learned about how to survive that many years on this earth.

I’ve been sitting in my hotel room in So. Calif, reading all of your posts. So many interesting topics! Like thin, I’ve started looking at the paint on a couple of rooms here after hearing all the talk about new paint and carpets from penguin. It does seem like when one of us in this forum gets interested in something, many of the rest of us join in. Painting, kefir, miso soups, weight loss and obesity programs on the tv… Great minds think alike, I’d say. 😎

I ate at The Outback restaurant tonight. It was fairly close to the hotel I ended up having a small filet mignon, grilled asparagus and Aussie Fries, which looked and tasted suspiciously like French fries. I thought the would at least have some secret seasoning from Oz, but I tasted only salt. Then I remembered that you don’t even call them fries, you call them chips. πŸ˜„ But I had only eaten a couple pies of fruit all day, so I ate them all. I was surprised when I added everything up on myfitnesspal it came almost exactly to my TDEE. Almost all was eaten after 5:00 pm.

Thin, it’s great that your DD doesn’t like to drink sodas. I think kids end up liking, and continuing to eat foods they were raised eating, with a few exceptions or additions. There are exceptions of course. I remember as a kid that I loved runny eggs, the whites with very little white. I think it was my grandmother who ate them that way, and we lived upstairs from her when I was young. My parents didn’t even like to look at eggs cooked that way, much less eat them!

Penguin, if you were to take all the food suggestions from TV commercials and billboards and ads, you would probably think junk food was a normal and acceptable thing to eat. We have to go out of our way usually, to find healthy advice about food. It’s no wonder so many people eat junk food. (I do admit my addiction to Diet Pepsi, even though it probably isn’t good for me.)

Cinque, it is indeed easier to get takeout food like KFC. Like you mentioned it takes not only cooking but planning, shopping, putting away and cleaning up afterwards. We usually have Subway once a week when the weather is hot. I feel like with all those veggies there is at least something healthy about them.

GDSA, I’ve only bought duck eggs one from a local lady with ducks but I would say 2 duck eggs to 3 chicken sounds about right. They’re big! The ones I got were very slightly pink and had kind of a glossy look. They were really pretty.

CaulifD, I hope you’re not inspired to re-decorate the hotel room. Can I ask out of idle curiosity where in S. California are you right now? I weaned my OH off a life-long habit of one pepsi per day with lunch so as not to influence DD when she was a toddler. Unfortunately, he replaced it with a daily OJ habit which took 20 years of what he’d call nagging to get him to drop. Some of these sugar messages are finally getting through but only when someone else says it – I notice that I haven’t had to buy any honey in a very long time which goes to show that it is possible to teach an old dog new tricks.

The used paint brushes and rollers are only placed in the freezer as a means of re-using them without the need for cleaning until the current job (or colour) is completed. At that point, you wash the brushes and discard the rollers. So you will save even more water. The colour on the frozen brush I found yesterday reminded me that I’d been painting the picket fence before we went to Spain (Nov 2015) and had a small section behind a bush to finish – which since matured to cover the offending area.

Thin, I love the idea of Dancing by Ourselves! Do you watch that TV Show called Gray’s Anatomy? (A guilty pleasure here) It looks like it’s broadcast there. Have ever seen some of the episodes where a bunch of them “Dance it out” in the living room or kitchen, or wherever to burn off stress? I’ve always thought that was cool. I think we should definitely promote dancing by ourselves, or virtually with each other for exercise and feel goodness. (Is feel goodness an expression?) “Virtually with each other” could be a little tricky with the time differences, but surely we can figure something out! 🎢

Thin, Buena Park tonight. The Outback is there too.

I never drink the regular sodas, only the diet. They don’t seem to give me sugar cravings. It seems to me that humans are hardwired to like sweet things. I’m not sure that I would ever be immune to craving it.

Dancing it out from Gray’s Anatomy.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IxVRpy-fHIQ

Now doesn’t this just make you want to get up and dance?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YK0v1yr4GSE

Thin, I think putting paint brushes in the freezer is a great way to avoid having to finish painting! 😁 By the time half the room is finished I know what it’s going to look like. “But how can I finish painting when the brushes are all frozen?” 😜

Thin & Cali – my painting is wobbly enough when I’m trying to stand still. I shudder think what it would look like while dancing.

Merry. It will get easier. My old Mum left us last year. She was in her 90s and had needed a lot of help for the last couple of years. There was a quiet funeral, she had outlasted all of her friends. Afterwards there was a gap in life. Some re-adjustment to the realisation that we are now the old ones and quite a lot of time suddenly available because we were not running around doing things for her. The basic admin of sorting out the paperwork was easy, but we are still going through some of her things. They have no monetary value and I don’t want them but she valued them so it feels wrong to get rid. But it gets easier. I find myself remembering the old ones when I do something they taught me to do or I use a tool that was my Grandfather’s.

There is no justice. After all of our condemnation of junk food, yesterday I ate porridge for breakfast, a homemade pork pie and an apple for lunch, a burger, fries and pickles accompanied by a beer about 7.30 pm. I lost weight???

Tonight’s dinner is going to be my zen activity today. I’ve chosen it because it’s the last time I’ll ever be able to eat this meal.

When I was young my mother made soups from homemade stocks (almost exclusively stock made from lamb shanks). There were two soups that she commonly turned this stock into. The first was essentially scotch broth, laden with lots of veg and pearl barley, that she added a packet of chicken noodle soup to just before serving. She called this chicken noodle soup.
    The second soup was lamb shank stock with milk and a tin of Rosella tomato soup. She called this cream of tomato soup. I adored this with buttered toast as a child.
    I had this so often because mum made every time I had tonsillitis – which was about every 6-8 weeks. It was one of the few things that could slide past my very swollen tonsils.

As the Australians amongst you will know. Rosella went out of business 4 years ago and even though they sold their brand name the recipes did not go with the brand labels. Before the last of the tins of tomato soup left the shelves I bought some and hoarded them in the pantry. I had just one left in the pantry, and as I had some frozen lamb stock leftover from the scotch broth, I decided it was time to use that very last tin. So tonight I have cream of tomato soup made exactly the same way my mother used to. I had some for dinner last night, and have one bowl left for dinner tonight. It’s weird to think that now that this tin is gone I can never again repeat this childhood food memory. I’m trusting the zen approach will allow me to make this memorable.

It looks the same as I remember. It’s thick and a dark red with bits of lamb shank meat bobbing about in it. It smells a little of tomato, but mostly of lamb.
    I spoon up a little and the aroma is the same – mainly lamb. I taste it. It’s so sweet with an slight aftertaste that’s sharp and a hint of the lamb. The next spoonful has a chunk of lamb shank and the taste, though still sweet has a stronger lamb taste. The meat falls apart in my mouth, probably because I boiled it for so many hours to make the broth. I realise that flavourwise this is really not complex, it is just sweet, sharp & lamb. It has a taste that isn’t like the soups I usually make – I’d probably describe it as artificial. But what’s going on in my head as I eat is more about memory than taste.
    It’s so different to the soups I usually make from scratch. Tomato soup for me is usually made from fresh roasted or tinned tomatoes. But when I’ll I crave this soup – it has such a strong association with being cared for when ill.
    I’m going to microwave this again before finishing so I can enjoy the rest hot…

Tonight was a sweet and a bittersweet zen experience.

Hi Everyine
    Sorry for your loss Merryme. I think all of you have cooking skills far above mine!! My hubby does a lot of the cooking here- he loves it.
    I’m very late posting today. I had 2 of my grandkids all day. We went to the library for Story time where there is a cafe and they make cupcakes that are themed to what the stories and crafts are about. I bought one for the girls to share as I was doing a FD. I also didn’t eat any of their leftover crusts at lunch 😊
    Our sons dog had to go to the vet and stay overnight in a drip. He had been vomiting and diarrhea and is very dehydrated – poor thing.
    We have no plans for the weekend so I think I can keep up the good work πŸ™‚

Today’s newspaper headlines seen on the rack in the shop include:

“Losing weight reduces blood pressure” In The Daily Express, an easy to read paper which specialises in Princess Di conspiracy theories and warnings that the winter will be a bad one.

“Diabetes test for all over 40s” Those at risk to be offered slimming and fitness classes and life style coaching. ( Recommendation by National Institute of Health and Care Excellence). In The Daily Telegraph

“Doctors to send obese patients to cookery school.” In The Times.

The Telegraph and Times are establishment papers and use longer words with more supporting evidence. Of all of our papers they are usually the nearest to accurate. Given the state of our public finances I doubt if the latter two will happen. We had an IED go off in London this morning, about 20 underground passengers with burns, so tomorrow’s papers will be back to their other favourite subject.

Good morning everyone,

LJoyce what an amazing zen event. I am so glad you could make the most of that last can of proper tomato soup.

My special food is junket. I was the only one of the 7 kids who liked it, so my mum made it for me when I was sick and home from school. It is one of the ‘not very sweet’ foods that I would love to eat again.

What a treat of an eating day you had Penguin. An important part of life.
    But while the scale is loving you at the moment, the evil thing will probably balance it out by adding on an extra kilo after your next fast!

Your newspapers seem to have everything covered.
    Awful to hear of the train incident, but relieved it wasn’t worse.
    Isn’t it dreadful that, these days, that is my thought.

Good work Stay! There is a special award for managing not to eat the grandkids crusts! Especially the ones where they have licked the butter off πŸ˜‰
    Hope the poor dog recovers quickly.

I made fava bean soup yesterday. Lovely. The mince didn’t manage to thaw overnight in the fridge I gave it another night and I will make that recipe today.

Cold and rainy here, day before fast day.
    Oh dear just remembered I have got fast day and I’m minding 3 year old granddaughter tomorrow. I think I can make it work for me!

Best wishes everyone

Thin
    Win!

Penguin I saw the IED incident on last nights news – frightening stuff. Equally scarry is the Nth Korea missile launching. Peace and harmony I say.

Its 7am Saturday morning and Im having a coffee soaking up the beautiful sunshine on the front verandah listening to the birds in the gumtrees with a cat sleeping each side of me on the lounge.
    MissD is having a sleep in.

Found some great recipie b,ooks at the library yesterday – quinoa, paleo and vegie books. Also a book on raising backyard ducks which I’ve started to read and found lots of interesting facts on duck behavior – funny little creatures they are indeed ! I never walk away from the library without at least 10 books – good thing theres no limit on borrowing.

The radio talkback gardening show, the handman show and the quiz starts in 1 hour – never miss it – i love saturday mornings at home. When MissD wakes we will cook brekky on the bbq so good thing its not a FD. Will do our baking this arvo – will most likely be cupcakes – its always cupcakes – MissD’s favourite.

Time for another coffee. Have a great Saturday everyone and a great whatever day it is in your part of the world Penguin and CalifDream

Just had a thought. A little dilemma – duck eggs too big to fit in my egg rings to fry on the bbq – Haha. Im sure they will hold together well enough being so fresh and having strong whites. Sorry had to post that thought it cracked me up. Oh Haha again pardon the pun !!

CaulifD, you name the dance track, I’ll dance to it! Buena Park is close to where my OH grew up.

Brekky on the bbq update. MissD a total of 804 calories and 954 calories for me but boy it was delicious. Off for some fitness now to work it off. Oh and the fried duck eggs were divine.

Good morning SH’s,

Just finished brunch, which wasn’t as exciting as GDSA’s, but I liked it. I soaked some rolled oats in kefir and almond milk overnight then added some bran, dried cranberries and cinnamon.
    GDSA – I’d forgotten that about duck eggs, they do have really strong whites. Enjoy the baking – do you think your daughter will let you sneak some spelt flour into the bowl?

Cinque – I used to get junket too. My mum made 3 things every time I had tonsillitis – tomato soup, scrambled eggs and junket and that was pretty much what I lived on until I got better. To this day I still crave these things when I’m sick. Junket tablets are hard to find these days, so I usually make a custard when I’m craving it. Luckily custard is one of those things I like made the traditional way – only slightly sweetened. For some time I used stevia in it but I’ve found that I can get away with sugar in it because I don’t use much.

Penguin, sorry to hear you’ve have yet another violent event. I echo GDSAs thoughts, I don’t understand why we can’t all be a little kinder to each other.

The sun is starting to peek around the clouds. The weather is meant to be clearing for one fine day tomorrow before the rolls back in.

NFD today, I’m planning to fast tomorrow.
    I still have half of the tub of lamb shank stock left in the fridge so I’ll turn that into a lentil and carrot soup this afternoon, that should provide tonight’s dinner, with homemade bread and scrambled eggs. The soup by itself should work as a FD meal tomorrow.

Enjoy your Saturday.

Penguin, the terrorist attack in the London tube was terrible. We were based in London for a 6 week holiday ( just got back last Monday) and used the tube a lot- so easy to get around. I just can’t understand why people want to kill and injure innocent people πŸ™
    We’ve seen a little sunshine here and got out for a little while in the garden but it’s raining again now, our lawn is more like a lake in some parts.
    Sounds like a lovely morning with your DD Gday
    Not a fast day for me today but I’m not eating carbs or sugar yet, I need to get that out of my system.
    I’ve just noticed the sun is shining again , maybe I might go out for a bit again.
    Btw the dog seems to be okay, just very dehydrated. Vet thinks he may have eaten something bad. He will eat anything and we are out a bit in the country and he can go thru the wire fences.
    Have a great day.

I’ve taken advantage of the sun and lack of rain to get some more gardening done. Finally finished removing all of the blackberries that were growing over the neighbours fence. I just managed to squeeze it all into the green bin with some forceful cramming and a bit of cursing. I’ve picked up the usual wounds from dealing with blackberry thorns – the top I’m wearing is going to have to be soaked to get the blood stains out.

I’ve just made a very late lunch. I’ve toasted some of the bread I made this week and topped it with grilled haloumi and a mound of cherry tomatoes and dressed with black pepper and olive oil. It’s so good – I really love haloumi. It’s not something I eat much through the winter, but It becomes a favourite protein in the hotter weather.

Time for a cup of tea now.

LJoyce, I love that you used to get junket too. I was devastated when Hansen’s closed but then found junket powder for sale made by some of the old Hansen’s employees! It was plain and I loved flavouring it with rose water. I have just realised that I might like it unsweetened. Worth a try!

Well done with the blackberries! I’ve had time cutting them and I know what it is like!

Gday, what a lovely Saturday, and the recipe books sound great too!

I’m glad the dog is okay, Stay!

I made the Chelou Kadu. I need to think a bit about whether it is worth sharing. At first taste not worth the trouble, but I hadn’t got down to the crispy bottom enough. If it reheats and defrosts well, it might be a goer.

Thin, did you appreciate my poem appreciating your poem?

Best wishes to Merry

Special yell out to Minka and Intesha. Hope you are both okay!

Yesterday was just the latest. One lot or another have been doing this for most of the last 50 years. We have had lots of practice at coping and just get on with life. I did get a bit twitchy recently on an international flight out of a not very efficient airport. A young Muslim girl turned up late with some strange packages. She was allowed on the aircraft where she connected an iphone to a laptop. I spent most of the next four hours watching her like a hawk. That is the problem – perfectly innocent Muslims are now suspect

StayinThin. That dog sounds like every dog I have ever owned. No matter how well fed, the first response to anything they find is “can I eat it?”. I had an otherwise lovely working Labrador who believed that every girl should wear some fox manure behind her ears.

Penguin – I’m sure eau de fox smelled wonderful to your labrador – he was just trying to share his latest perfume discovery.

Cinque – My mum mainly made junket in summer – she seemed to believe that every fruit dessert needed to be served with dairy. In summer it was fresh fruits with junket. In winter it was stewed fruit with hot custard. Eventually she moved onto using yoghurt, but that wasn’t readily available until the 80s.

I’ve had a frustrating afternoon trying to spend money. I have a number of young children (ages 1-7) in the family that I buy clothes for both birthdays and christmas. I’ve found one the most reliable for quality, price and quick delivery is Next (this is a UK retailer and they ship from a Leeds warehouse). As long as I spend $50 the postage is free and it usually arrives within the week. The tricky thing is the seasons. If I want to buy the kids summer clothes for christmas I need to buy them when it’s summer time in the UK as they have a limited range outside of he seasons. I left it a bit late by buying in September, but managed to get 4 lots of christmas presents and one December birthday sorted. The kids I buy the clothes for seem to like them and their mothers have asked that I keep getting things form this source as they really like them too – durable and easy to wash. I managed to buy a total of 24 garments for 4 children for $261 (4 christmas presents and one birthday present).
    The frustration came initially from finding the thing that I wanted to add to my purchase list wasn’t available in the size I needed – you get through quite a few steps before you find this out. So then I had to go back to the long list of choices and choose something else, only to find that wasn’t available in the right size either. And of course not that you’ve had to choose a different top it no longer matches the pants you chose, so they have to be changed as well! Once I finally had everything sorted I tried to pay for it, only to find the website put me in a loop that wouldn’t let me proceed to payment. After a long conversation with the online support we finally got it sorted. It took about 3 hours in the end – so much for online shopping being quick – although in this case it’s quicker than flying to Leeds. I feel exhausted after all that, but I am happy with my selections. I always end up with a favourite garment from everything I’ve chosen. This time it’s a pair of heavily embroidered jeans for a 4 year old – she’s decided that she won’t wear dressed but wants jeans like her brother, so if I can’t buy her pretty dresses she’s getting pretty jeans.
    http://www.next.com.au/en/g212456s6#173090
    I don’t think she’ll be disappointed, last Sunday she showed up in the embroidered jeans I bought her last year. Hopefully everything I’ve bought will be OK – by buying so many moths in advance it’s too late to return anything.

Hi Everyone! I’m fasting today, the first in a couple weeks at least! I just couldn’t fast and work on assignments and deadlines and then there were all these new learning curve hurdles I had to overcome which precluded fasting at the same time.

I think I’ve gotten the new routines under my belt so to speak and yesterday I handed in my final assignment for my TAFE Diploma so to celebrate I decided to FD for today. It is as if my body is going ‘ahhh’!

My clothes have become much tighter over the past couple of weeks I didn’t fast and so it has been a relief today to finally feel free to go in the direction that this FD is taking me!

Isn’t it wonderful that this WOL is so forgiving! Cheers everyone!

I like this time of year. I got up this morning and my asparagus bed was full of Pheasants. By mid morning they had been replaced by a covey of Partridges in my leek patch. I spent the afternoon working my veg patch, in conversation with a cock Robin. There is always a Robin in my garden, but only one, They are seriously territorial. This one was a new boy, younger than the one I have been talking to and judging from the state of his head feathers, he had a hard fight getting my garden. Still, young though he may be he knows the rules for Robins. He followed me around at a distance of about four feet, sat on my spade when I wasn’t using it , inclined his head to one side when I was talking to him and graciously accepted anything edible my work turned up. I think we will be friends.

After that to the kitchen. Usually my territory but today we shared it. I made my take on bouillabaIsse, although I doubt if the Marsellaise would approve of the use of star anise, Vietnamese fish sauce and Ouzo, OH turned my kefir grains into a curd cheese tart. In England this is a pretty regional food, so you may not have it. It consists of an open top flan / quiche case which is filled with curd cheese, egg, melted butter and spices, then baked. It was one of the great delicacies of my youth. She is a good lass.

Eating my second piece, I realise that i forgot that it also haas currents or sultanas.

Happy sunday morning everyone. I thought the scales would make me unhappy today after yesterdays enormous breakfast (I skipped lunch) homemade chips (fries) and salad for tea followed by homemade lemon pudding, custard and cream but yay I’m dowm 0.02 kg from yesterday morning. Ive had cravings for homemade chips for weeks.

Cupcakes didnt go ahead as MissD had a better offer – friends !! So they are on the agenda for this morning.

Good morning to everyone,
    Spring has sprung today. Sunshine and blue sky! I won’t know myself!

Minka Congratulations! You did it!
    http://images.dailyhive.com/20160728133444/Celebration-of-Light-fireworks-by-Team-Australia-2016-Larry-Chen-Flickr.jpg
    I hope you had a lovely fast day. Reward for all that hard work.

Penguin, The Secret garden was one of my favourite books as a child, and your robin brought it all back to me. What a wonderful garden of birds you have.
    One of the not-too-sweet things I miss is my Italian style baked ricotta cheesecake which is quite similar to the curd-cheese tart you are describing.

Glad your scales are in a good mood, Gday!

LJoyce, lovely clothes! No wonder the family love them!

I had a good mindful eating day yesterday and I am fasting today.

Tomorrow I am doing the Food Hygiene Course at Melbourne Polytechnic, with a couple of people helping me with my community food project. It is 10 – 4pm which is an enormous day for me, so wish me luck. If I have the energy I’ll see you on Tuesday. (If not sooner)

Best wishes everyone for a good day, a good fast, mindful eating, and friendly scales. Whatever is applicable.

Hello everyone!! I have just started back on the 5:2 after two years. I see from some of the posts some familiar names and have to congratulate you all. I also say hello to those new names I see too.
    Well, I have to admit that I have not been kind to myself over the last 2 years. I put back on the 10kg I lost and some more!! I recently had a birthday and it was my 60th and also I think a bit of a turning point for me. I decided that this was now the time to do something about this extra weight that does not look good on me as well as the health problems that it is causing now and could cause in the future as I get older.
    Some may remember I had problems with my shoulder. In December 2015 my family and I went to Japan again for 4 weeks. My doctor had told me to take care of the shoulder and my physio had given me exercises to help as I was carrying a backpack for the whole time. The last day in Japan was one that left me in tears so as soon as I returned I headed back to the doctor. It turned out that after another ultrasound I had two problems with the shoulder in two different areas and the injections I had been getting were being placed in the wrong area. With all the pain I had been comfort eating and then when i realised I had gained the weight back I gave up.
    Now it is important for me to loose this extra person I am carrying around so I am back!!!
    I started back a week ago Monday 11th to be precise, weighing 86.9 (the most I have ever weighed and so close to 87 that I thought to myself what next 90?) I have been so good over the last 6 days. I have decided to go vegetarian as I found a 5:2 vegetarian recipe book and decided to try that. I love the soups in this book. For my fast day all I have is one of the soups which usually does not get to the 500 calories at all.
    I am now weighing 83.8 so I have lost 3.1kg.
    I think I have talked long enough now though so will say bye for now and thanks for listening to me.
    Hope everyone has a great Sunday and weighless week ahead! thanks Julie

Penguin, I enjoyed reading your account of the robin. It reminded me of childhood in England. We have a willy wagtail living on our patio. He spends every night perched on exactly the same spot on my hammock. There were two when they were young but I fear a neighbourhood cat killed the other. He sings a beautiful song and makes a lot of chit chat.

Cinque, my attempt at a topical, cryptic poem about ducks Larry and Garry being allowed to marry didn’t go over too well but, yes, I liked your poem thanks! No win for thin though. I’m still suffering the consequences of the Indian meal out nine days ago and today’s the last fast day until the neighbourhood meal out. I keep anxiously revisiting that menu seeking out the least damaging dish and thinking what a silly position I’ve put myself in. In the interests of appearing sociable, I’ll be going to a noisy pub where any conversation will have to be yelled and ordering a meal so I can challenge myself with how little of it I can eat! Not worth it.

I’ve more or less decided on CaulifD’s suggestion of chilli mussels which has never appealed to me before. CaulifD, you may not know that this dish comprises mussels served in their shell in a bowl of watery, tomato-based soup with lemon, sugar, onion, garlic, wine & herbs. I’ve always been put off by imagining the shells getting their cleaning in the soup!

LJ, I forgot to say that when ordering salads, I try to remember to request the dressing be served on the side. I agree, they’re often swimming in it. I love a real caesar salad which needs to be prepared at the table because of the egg and I’ve only ever found one restaurant to do this – a French restaurant in Tijuana that we used to cross the border to frequent when we lived in San Diego. With chef’s license (the poet’s equivalent), anything is possible and there are as many variations as restaurants.

I walked into town yesterday, about 11kms and then spent the rest of the day gardening. Today, I’ll finish the indoor painting after my normal 5km walk. Perth’s major department store had a huge display of Christmas paraphernalia taking up the entire window. That will remain until the end of January so it’s essentially 4Β½ months of the year promoting a two day holiday. I didn’t go inside by way of a little protest.

Hi Minka, hurray for the end of your TAFE assignments. Hope your FD goes well Cinque and LJ. It’s miso soup with chicken, Chinese cabbage and shiitake mushrooms for me.

Good morning

*and chilli of course!

Gosh JJ, they’re coming out of the woodwork. First CM, now you! How ARE you? Welcome back!

I had posted something about 20 minutes ago but dont know what happened. It is just not there! I will try to rewrite it again.
    I said:- That it had been a long time since I had posted on this forum and that I have just started back doing the 5:2.
    It has been two years since I was here and I can see names that I recognise and some new names too.
    I hope everyone is well and healthy.
    I hope also that by talking to you again I can get myself back on track after originally losing over 10kg but now put it back on with extra.
    I just had a birthday, my 60th, and I decided to take control of my body and my life.
    I started last Monday 11th September with a weight of 86.9 (the heaviest I have ever been and I said to myself “what is next 90?)
    I found a book with vegetarian 5:2 recipes in it, bought the book and tried out some of the soup recipes. They are really delicious so this is what i am following.
    This morning my weight was 83.8 so I have lost 3.1kg.
    On my fast days I make a batch of one of the soups to serve 4 people, total calories in under 500 calories so that is what I eat all day. I also have green tea in the morning and licorice tea in the evening. I have found I am now sleeping so much better.
    Anyhow, Hello to everyone, long time no hear from me!! Congratulations to you all!
    and Hello to all those new names I see on here.
    thanks for having me back. Julie

Seriously, curd tarts and lemon pudding – I’m definitely sitting in the wrong kitchen at the moment!

Good morning Minka, JJulie, GDSA, Cinque, Thin, StayT, and good evening CaliD & Penguin. And hello anyone else who’s reading.

I was going to do a FD today but have changed my mind. I had a look at my plans for the week and realised that Mon & Fri were actually the better options. So NFD today it is. I’m going to have to decide what to add to the bow of lentil soup I’d planned for today.

Minka – congratulations on finishing your studies. It’s a wonderful accomplishment.

Penguin – I am familiar with curd tarts. I love all forms of traditional baked cheesecakes – I don’t much care for the over sweetened gelatin & philly cheese versions that are more common these days. But Italy, England and parts of eastern Europe have some lovely baked cheese cake traditions. I particularly like the Yorkshire curd tarts because they taste like a cross between 2 of my very favourite sweets – custard tarts and baked cheesecake.
    You have a similar relationship with the robin that I have with the magpie family that reside in my garden. They are busy hatching out their one chick for the year at present. Like your robin, they also sit a few feet away watching me as I garden and looking puzzled when I chat to them. It’s nice company and adds to the pleasure of gardening.

Thin – sounds like you are getting some miles in. I definitely don’t have that much energy. I did 1 1/2 hours of gardening and was well and truly ready for a rest.

Cinque – Hope your day with your grand daughter is fun. Enjoy your course tomorrow, sounds interesting. Please let us know what you learn.

I have a family brunch out at Balhannah at 10:30am so I’d better get moving.

Have a nice Sunday. Did I say the sun’s out here – I almost considered short sleeves until I realised I was getting a bit carries away, the forecast is still just for 21C.

Hi JustJulie! I wasn’t around here 2 years ago, I just started 5:2 in May of this year. So good to meet you and congrats on the 3.1 kg lost already. Making a big 500 calorie soup and eating it all day is a great idea for a FD. I Will have to try that!

LJoyce, are you going to the Olive Branch Cafe in Balhannah? (I love that we can look up menus!) The town looks pretty.

Thin, how about this sound track for a group Dance it Out? https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=16Xk52lb08U 😁🎢😁

Penguin, love your story about the Robin. We have those birds in our garden sometimes. Thin, I had never heard of a Willy Wagtail before. What a cute name for a cute bird! https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cd5QNyeRwnA

GDSA, had to look up a picture of a Gum tree. That’s like our Eucalyptus trees. I think they originally were imported from Australia. I love the smell of them.

Minks, congrats on finishing your studies! That must be a big relief.

Cinque, my mom read The Secret Garden to me when I was a little girl and I loved it too. I should read it again now as an adult. Has your grand daughter heard the story?

Stay, I’m glad to hear that the dog is better. It’s scary some of the things they will try to eat. Our old vet had a Great Dane that at a whole football! (An North American one) It had to be surgically removed. No way that thing was coming out the other end!

CharliesMum, is golden paste a turmeric concoction? How is it made?

Viewing 50 posts - 12,701 through 12,750 (of 28,011 total)

You must be logged in to reply.