Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,907 replies, has 831 voices, and was last updated by  thinatlast 3 days, 4 hours ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 12,751 through 12,800 (of 28,011 total)

• Thank you CalifD.
    As there are so many newcomers since I was last on here I thought I would tell you a little about myself.
    I live in Cairns, Far North Queensland.
    As I said I just turned 60.
    I have two daughters 27 nearly 28 and an 18 year old.
    I have a wonderful husband.
    We own our own business and I now work for my husband fulltime. I worked in Banks for about 40 years and retired in 2015 but the Manager asked me to return part time in 2016 which I did for 12 months and then about 8 weeks ago decided to give it up.
    I love everything about Japan, the history, the castles, the samurai, the culture, the people etc etc.
    I travel to Japan twice a year. Next trip in November and another one booked for April 2018.
    I am involved with the Australia Japan Society in FNQ and my husband plays Japanese drums in a group called Cairns Taiko.
    Last time I was on this forum I had a problem with my shoulder and was getting injections for it. On my trip to Japan in Dec 2015/Jan 2016 I ended up in so much pain that I went to the doctor on my return and another ultrasound was done to find I had more damage than first thought and the injections were being put in the wrong area. Therefore two more injections and gradually all is good now. I have also started playing Taiko too.
    So that is me!!!

Brunch was nice. Cali, I had something not the menu that you saw – I had buttered scones with a cup of tea (and yes we did go to the Olive Branch Cafe – at the moment it’s the only cafe in that town). They used to have another cafe that did an amazing high tea, but unfortunately they closed a couple of years ago.
    I stopped at Bridgewater on the way home and did the grocery shopping. Every park and playground I passed on the way home was packed with families enjoying the first mild sunny day we’ve had in a while. There were lots of BBQs in progress.

JJulie, 3.1kg in 6 days is pretty amazing, well done.

I bought pastrami and salad veg while doing the shopping and I’ve just packed it into a w’m roll for lunch – lovely. A few years ago I used to have a salad roll for lunch everyday, but it’s a rare thing these days. I think when I was working it was easier to stick with the same thing daily as it was one less meal to have to think about, but since retirement I started adding more variety, and I was also keen to have a little less bread in my diet.

I’d like to do more gardening this afternoon but the green bin’s full. I might have to just make a pile of weeds and bin them once the council collects all my blackberry canes on Wednesday. If I don’t spend the afternoon outside I know I’ll regret it once the rain starts again.

CaulifD, I’ve done the dance track all by myself! Co-ordinating with others might come later! There were some welcome slow bits in there too as I’ve been up and down the ladder a fair few times today to finish the paint job – we have 11′ ceilings. It’s so satisfying when you pull off the masking tape to find it worked perfectly!

Willy wagtails have a lot of ‘attitude’ for a little bird. They like to stare you down while swaggering their tails from side to side. And they are fearless defenders of their nests. A couple of the end of my road dive bombed me regularly when I forgot to cross the street last nesting season. One bird I miss so much from our garden in California is the hummingbird. But we have a huge variety of beautiful birds here so I’m not complaining. If you don’t mention cauliflower rice again soon, I shall feel compelled to revert to CalifD.

LJ, I thought you were fasting today, got that wrong evidently.

JJulie, I think we’ve all come to realise that vigilance is an essential ingredient of 5:2, as is considering it a WOL for the long-term. You’re back on track. Hurray for that!

Cinque, have a great educational day tomorrow and don’t get too tired. Does this all mean that you’re closing in on the final stages of your business plan for the cafe?

Well, besides all the painting mess, we have lambs’ hearts strewn about as DD practices her suture technique in readiness for her first spay at uni tomorrow. She did a surgical course in Thailand in December through a famous UK vet’s charity and ultimately managed 13 all by herself. It’s a winner for all concerned – the local communities, the students and the charity who raise much needed funds in this way to alleviate the volume of stray dogs and eliminate rabies in developing countries. But they were street dogs – tomorrow will be someone’s much loved pet so the sutures need to be perfect.

Hope everyone’s FD or NFD has gone well.

Hello,
    Oh dear, getting home after dropping off my granddaughter is a difficult time for me re wanting to just sit and eat things! Luckily it is miso soup time!

I had a lovely day, such a relief to be well enough to care for her again.

Tomorrow is a big step on the way Thin. I am also writing a ‘conceptual map’ before the Business Plan! :0

Love Cauli for Cali! Ha the Cauliflower Rice Queen!

Hi JJulie! Lovely to see you here. How frustrating to have put that un needed weight on again, but yes, I know I would too if I didn’t keep 5:2ing!
    I got down to the lower end of my healthy weight range last November and just wobble down there feeling fairly stable except I want to get back into those trousers that are too tight at the moment!

Cali those Eucalypts are Australian, and now you can call the ‘gums’ like we do!

Listening to the show on Countdown. memories!

Soup is ready. Bye!

Thin – no you didn’t make a mistake I had planned to fast today but changed my mind.

Good morning all,

Thank you all so much for your kind thoughts and condolences. It is starting to sink in now aswe go through the motions.

Hey Julie – hi! Welcome back and sorry to hear that weight is back but you’re off to a great start, and what a relief it must be to have that 3.1kgs gone. Like Cinque and Thin I’m still here as we go on our maintaining way. I’m also a lifer – 5:2 for life, and OH also 5:2’s on and off.

To catch up – I reached my goalweight of 62kgs in November last year. Al was hunky dory for a few months then my OH and I began an “annus horribulus” which feels a bit like living in a bad movie. You know those times when everything yuck seems get flung at you from all sides. We all get them and this year it’s our turn. Last night I broke a tooth – it continues. My goal through the stress has been to stay stable in the 64s after putting on a bit through steess eating. That was working well through the last months. The last few weeks have been horrible and again I’ve struggled with FD’s and stress eating. DFILs funeral is this week so still more stress as we prepare, less than ideal eating situations and lits of interacting with people coming up. Thur, Fri, Sat I was up to 65.9, and yesterday was 66.4 so did a FD yesterday and back to 65.9 this morning. I’m determined to get back down to the 64’s first, then get back to 62 before Christmas. Taking it 1 kg at a time, and setting tiny goals of 0.5kg if I have to.

Onwards and Downwards,
    And if you fall off the horse get back on,
    Merry

Good morning everyone,
    I have been reading all the posts and find the one about the willy wagtails interesting. We have a family of them in the front tree and although they dont bother my husband or myself they do swoop on our youngest daughter trying to get her long blond hair. She is now terrified of them and all birds. They usually spend time with me in the garden when I am tending to the veggie patch and they used to follow my father around when he mowed the lawn.

Thin, you are right, this has to become a way of life, I just went off the track for awhile. I have been to Thailand and yes there are heaps of dogs in the streets. I found that a lot of them hang around the temples as the monks feed them. I was glad that they did this but it did not help the problem in the end as they continue to breed. So glad to hear of the program DD went on it is indeed a win win situation.

Clinque, Wow you got to the lower end of the healthy weight range!! Congrats!!!
    I do understand about the trousers though, I too have a pair that I loved and would dearly also love to get back into them. A few weeks ago I would have given up on that idea and taken them to lifeline, but now I am going to hang onto them for that bit longer.

LJoyce, yes the weight loss was amazing for such a short time but I put that down to fluid from heaps of alcohol, the weight loss will soon slow up and return to the normal pace. I have found though that going complete vegan on fast days and then vegetarian on normal days is making it easier too.

Well today is a FD for me and I am going to make tomato soup with the tomatoes I bought on the highway roadside stop near Innisfail last week when we went to do a survey on a ship at the harbour. Bought heaps of fresh local veggies for a great price there.

Hope everyone has a great day today.

MerryMe,
    Thanks for the welcome back. I am also reading that CharliesMum is back too!!
    You must have posted yours while I was writing mine this morning. I did take a long time to write my post as I was doing things inbetween as OH is getting me to do emails for him and book flights to Weipa.
    I also am reading that you have had a loss in the family. So sorry for your loss and I send my condolences. It is always a hard time leading up to the funeral, but from personal experience once the funeral is over there is that heavy weight lifted off of you. Hope you experience this too. My uncle passed a few months ago and I flew down to Adelaide for his funeral. I was very close to him and he was the last of his generation from my childhood. The end of an era for me but I have heaps of great memories.
    Hope your day is less stressful for you and send you a BIG HUG!

Good morning lifers and losers!

JJulie, the willy wagtails can be quite intimidating for such a small critter – the ones at the end of our road did actually touch my head when swooping so I can understand that it would be a bit scary for your daughter. The video that CaulifD posted seemed to show that they can also move in harmony with gardeners to enjoy any unearthed grubs.

Being predominantly buddhist, the Thais tend to love and value all sentient beings. This is why the charity neuters the dogs, rather than euthanise them. I have to say when OH and I visited Chiang Mai this year, the difference was clearly visible compared to our last trip 3 years before – although a cynical friend suggested that all the dogs had been rounded up for dog fighting and menus. Let’s hope not. DD will travel to Ooty, India next year with the same charity for the same purpose.

Merry, sending good wishes your way for all that you have to deal with this week. I’m sure you’ll give FIL a great send-off and then you can concentrate on looking after yourself and getting those pesky extra kgs off.

Wishing you a great day of learning Cinque. I, too, would stack weight back on in no time if I weren’t practicing 5:2. I never want to go back there so I keep my 61kg trigger weight.

I’m pleased to report that I’m back down to the lower end of 60kg after yesterday’s FD. Slightly better placed to try and enjoy the meal out tomorrow night. I can’t believe how much anxiety eating out invokes in me these days.

I’m having a much needed FD today. I ate too much yesterday afternoon and am feeling a bit blah this morning.
    Hope those of you who stuck with your FDs yesterdays had a good one.

I have lentil soup ready to go for dinner. So it’s a no cook day for me.

We had really high winds here through the night and I kept thinking about the birds and hoping they had their nests properly tethered to the trees. Yesterday’s spring weather has gone and it’s a whiteout today, the sky in completely white-grey and I can feel that the rain will start very soon. I’ve filled the wood basket with dry logs and lit the slow combustion and I’m settled in for the reprisal of winter weather.

Just enjoying that first pot of tea of the day.

Have a nice day everyone.

Hi Everyone
    Cinque, glad you were well enough to look after your granddaughters, although I love mine to bits, they can be exhausting. I’m looking after 2 of mine tomorrow while my daughter works. I even get to take the 41/2 year old to school for orientation:).
    Merryme, all the best for you in this difficult week xx
    Ljoyce, we are getting the strong winds today. It’s not cold yet tho. I’ve laid the fire and will light it later.
    I don’t see willy wagtails here but we’ve seen beautiful parrots hanging around lately. We have a family of magpies and lots of kookaburras here too
    I got a bit of gardening done over the weekend and will do a little more this afternoon before the weather changes.
    I’m not fasting today as I was feeling a bit hungry this morning, so I will fast tomorrow, although I don’t like fasting when babysitting.
    I officially weigh myself on Monday mornings as I hope it keeps me in line over the weekend πŸ™‚ but only came back from holidays last Monday so I’ve lost 2 kilos in last 6 days. I know some will be fluid esp after long flight but it’s very encouraging.
    Have a great day everyone xx

Between 1-16 August I was at my target weight and was contemplating setting a new, lower target. I am now 7 pounds above that original target. This is the second time I have done this. I started 5;2 years ago, was successful, became confident that I had this under control, relaxed and put some of it it back on. Fortunately this time it is only 7 pounds and it will go! Today is day 1 of my old Monday/Tuesday fasting habit.

I have been going back through the Science Related Articles site re-reading them all. I think an alcohol free month might be in order.

Penguin, sorry to hear that your weight has bounced up lately. It always seems to happen so quickly. Good luck with the B2B fasts and no-alcohol. I hope it gets you back into a good routine quickly.
    I’ll try to be good an not mention any foods that might temp you to stray. I know I’m probably the biggest culprit with this.

Kefir questions – have been nurturing the grains for one week now. The first few strainings produced curds which slowly increased over the week and the strained liquid was milky in colour and consistency. I used the milky stuff in my smoothies as it seemed a shame to waste it.

This morning there was a noticeable separation – lots of curds and the strained liquid was minimal and more like a merky water colour. So I use the curds to make more kefir, eat as is or make into cheese etc – right? Is the strained merky water stuff used for anything. It seems so different from the previous strainings I’m not sure if I do anything with it or if it is discarded.

Penguin I think giving up the booze is a good idea – even if only for a month. Red wine is my tipple of choice and before I gave it up completely the scales would certainly show when I’d had a glass or two. I will admit I do miss it but my desire to lose a few more kgs and be able to maintain is stronger.

I also thought it was time to update my profile again.

GDSA – If you have clear separation where the thin liquid is a milky, watery liquid, then what you have is curds and whey.
    You have 2 options.
    – Shake it well to combine then strain through a sieve to retireve your grains for the next batch. This will give you a runny kefir. OR
    – Carefully remove the thick curds from the whey. The curds are not grains, they are both the thick kefir curds and also the grains and you have to separate these by putting them into a fairly fine sieve and rubbing the curds through with the back of a spoon. You should then have grains remaining in the sieve for the next batch of kefir.
    The whey can be used in baking or smoothies. I have also heard you can use it to ferment vegetables like cabbage, but don’t know the process for that.

LJoyce, thank you for posting that link about the Carnaby’s Cockatoos. I looked up a photo and realize I had never seen that breed before, not even in pictures. I see pictures of the large black ones sometimes.

Birds are so smart. They understand so much human language. Cockatoos can be so loving, at least the ones that are pets.

Good morning all,

Penguin, I am reading the posts about kefir. My friend in Tassie recently went to some classes that taught pickling, preserving and fermenting and kefir was something she was posting about on her FB page. I dont want to sound dumb but I dont know what this is, can someone enlighten me please?

CalifD, I live in Far North Queensland and we have heaps of cockatoos up here. We always have the sulphur crested in our front garden, but recently while BBQing at the beach I found a flock of Red Tailed Black Cockatoos and got some lovely photos of them. We also have kookaburra’s in the trees at the back of our property who wake us up mainly on Sundays to their laughing. Just yesterday while watering my veggie patch a lovely little make sunbird came flitting past me and to me surprise landed within 3 feet of me, I said good morning Mr Sunbird, he responded and then flitted off to a bush nearby that had lovely flowers out. I watched as the branches on the bush moved as he hopped from one to the other. These little guys oftern nest on our back balcony.

Anyhow, the Cairns Aquarium opened yesterday and I have purchased prior to the opening an annual pass for myself and my daughter. We are going to wait till next week and hope all has settled down then go with our cameras and spend the day taking photos.

Now to business, Question – Does anyone else have scales that have a mind of their own?
    My scales will give me different readings depending on where I put it on the bathroom floor. This weight range can be a difference of 2kg or more, so I tend to place the scales in different spots to get a reading I like!! For example, this morning I could feel I had lost weight today, I had a good FD yesterday and a good sleep so I knew this should be a good reading, but no!! The scales told me I had put on 2kg!! I knew this was not right so began moving the scales to different places on the bathroom floor until I got a reading that I had lost something. .2kg was the best I could do so left it at that!! So….
    Question – do I need to buy new scales and if so can anyone recommend a good one?
    I bought scales years ago that cost me $120 but they were really good and never seemed to do this to me at all. They finally gave up after about 15 years so then bought the ones I have when I started the 5:2 a couple of years ago.

That is it for this morning, hope everyone has a good day.

cheers!!

Gee my spelling is bad!!

Male Sunbird not make sunbird.

Good morning everyone,

JJulie, scales ALWAYS have a mind of their own. They pretend to be scientific technology but actually they are little robot devils with a nasty sense of humour (although some days they are surprisingly kind, just to keep you interested).

Penguin, sorry to hear what your scales told you. It is a whole new game once we get down to a healthier weight and have to adjust 5:2 and the rest of our lifestyle. We can only try things and see what happens, work out what we need to be strict about, and what we can play with. I hope the alcohol break works nicely. At least figuring out the healthy weight balance is a better problem than struggling with the spiral into morbid obesity.

Stay, your scales are behaving themselves. Woot! That’s the go. Congratulations!
    Lovely to hear about your granddaughters, and what a special thing to take little miss 4 1/2 to school orientation!
    It is tiring work, and two would be more tiring. I looked after my three y o for the first long time since I got too sick to have her overnight once a week like I usually do. I am so glad I managed well and I will go back to having her on Monday nights now.
    Her little sister is turning one next week, and I get to be with her on Wednesday when her big sister is at day care and I get cuddles while my daughter madly cleans for a couple of hours! Oooh she is so cuddly!

Merry, sending you lots of good wishes. That broken tooth is just NOT FAIR! Hopefully that was the fullstop at the end of this run of difficulties. I do hope so.

How lovely to have all the chat about birds ongoing here. I do love willy wagtails, they are so chatty. An Arnhem land name for them is Djigirridjdjigirridj. Just what they sound like!

I survived the course yesterday, and I found it very easy so I am pretty sure I passed. I’ve learned a lot from a couple of lovely chefs over the last years and it paid off. I have given myself the day to recover (I have a chronic illness so I have to be careful) but I am feeling fine at the moment.

It was the final of The Obesity Myth series on SBS last night and I cheered the woman who managed the keto diet so well, and my heart went out to the man with the infected foot, and the woman having her tummy apron removed, it was so good of her to let them film it. I didn’t know about ‘diet and exercise resistant fat’ and I can’t find good info by googling. Does anyone have a good understanding of this?
    I liked the long hair of the man who had the bariatric surgery, but when I saw it short, I realised he probably wore it long because he was housebound and it was so hard to organise to get it cut.

It’s my lull day. I practiced being mindful while I had my breakfast, but I need more practice! I’ll go and mindfully have my coffee now.

Best wishes for a good day, and don’t worry JJulie, someone will tell you about kefir! πŸ™‚

JJulie, while I’m reading the other posts, here’s an introduction to kefir for you. In fact, it’s probably everything you always wanted to know about kefir but were afraid to ask.

https://www.yemoos.com/pages/milk-kefir-step-by-step-guide

Lovely post Cinque. You sound good. I love that Arnhem Land name for the willy wagtails and it does sound just like them! Wow, the little one is almost one year old? Glad you survived your course, I’m sure you did well. You’ll be relieved to know that i didn’t watch, ‘The Obesity Myth’ so I won’t be offering my cynical, intolerant points of view – at least not today!

Merry, I empathise about the broken tooth having just experienced that recently. While out buying new shorts for summer yesterday, I spotted my now significantly overweight dentist in the mall in his scrubs, purchasing a sticky drink and some kind of deep fried something! I think I know where all that weight I lost went ……

Penguin, sorry to read that the pork pies finally caught up with you. Eternal vigilance is essential I’m afraid. At least you know what to do after all these years. I prefer not to get my precious calories from liquids. On a previous weight loss campaign a few years ago, I went cold turkey on alcohol and strangely lost the desire for it. Wine just doesn’t taste good to me at all. I used to love a G&T before dinner but can’t get the tonic down. I did more than my share of drinking at the other end of my life so I consider this a good thing, not just for my weight but for my brain cells. And I don’t feel a tipsy 60 year old is a particularly classy look. Like a lot of the foods I used to eat, it was just a habit and not worth the calories.

JJulie, I’d just get the best set of scales you can afford. A decent set of bathroom scales and kitchen scales are essential tools of the 5:2 trade. Those birds sounds lovely. We had a big discussion on birds just before you got here. CaulifD has a parrot member of the family. We have Carnaby’s Cockatoos in our street. They have gradually been evicted from their woodland habitats by construction for sprawling suburbs and have now moved into the city limits in search or urban homes. Their numbers were in serious decline a few years ago but specially constructed nesting boxes have seen their population increase in recent years so that’s one little piece of encouraging news.

Ljoyce thank you so much for your detailed instructions on kefir separation you’ve ‘turned the light on’ for me. From what I read on the net I couldnt understand where the difference was between the curds and grains but now I do.

GDSA, the link that thin posted on the kefir is a good one. Don’t be afraid to rub back and forth with a wood or plastic spoon when straining the grains from the curds and whey in the strainer. I always shake the curds and whey after straining to mix them together before drinking it. I think there may be more probiotics in the whey part. (But not sure of that.) Whey can jump start vegetable ferments but I’ve never used it for that. You don’t really need it. For sauerkraut I use just cabbage and salt. It ferments very easily and has lots of good probiotics in it.

I don’t drink alcohol very often these days either. Like thin, I did enough of that in my younger days and it’s lost some of the appeal. I worry about brain cells more these days as it takes me longer to remember some things. I need more RAM! πŸ˜„

Julie, seeing a flock of Cockatoos in the garden would be so amazing! It would seem as strange as seeing a dinosaur (or kangaroo!) out there! I had a Moluccan Cockatoo for 18-1/2 years who was the love of my life. He got cancer in his wing and died about 9 years ago. Surgery and CT scans couldn’t save him. He was the sweetest bird ever. We have 2 Macaws now, one who we had when the Cockatoo was alive and was his buddy. She called out his name for weeks after he died. You are all so lucky to live in a place that has so many exotic animals. Thin, we have a couple hummingbird feeders near our kitchen window and have hummingbirds there year round. Lately, a couple woodpeckers have been frequenting the feeders and I think they’ve scared some of the hummers away.

Cinque is right about the scales having a mind of their own! I leave mine in one spot and whether it’s correct or not, at least I can compare one day to the next. It is definitely not my friend these last couple of weeks. I think I will change it to kg’s instead of pounds tomorrow since most people in these forums measure in kg. I’ve gotten used to the conversions now, something that took me a while. Julie, the Tanita scales used to be very accurate many years back but I don’t know if that’s still the case. I used to have one but opted for one with a bigger, backlit display.

Penguin, it’s disappointing to see the scales go up, but 7 pounds isn’t a lot to lose again. Some of that is probably water weight and should go quickly.

Stay, great job on the weight loss! You should be back to pre-holiday weight loss in no time.

I made split green pea soup for dinner tonight. It’s a good FD meal because it’s filling.

That’s so sad about the macaw calling out the cockatoo’s name long after he died. What was his name? Hummingbirds are such a delight.

Thin, his name was Gilligan. Amelie, the Macaw, called him Gilly. (I called him that sometimes too, which is how she learned it.) I would cry every time she called his name. I was so heartbroken when he died.

Sorry for my addled brain, you’ve already told us that. Yes, I understand a parrot in the family is more like an heirloom, they can live to such a grand age. There’s nothing worse than losing a pet. Shall we dance it off? What’s the dance track for today?

Absolutely! How about this one?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jp5XVil-zyg

Hi everyone. I’m a bit late today – busy day.

I went to a free travel seminar this morning and was overwhelmed with all of the inviting options. The one that intrigued me the most is the Hutrigruten ships that travel up and down the coastline of Norway delivering mail and other cargo and they take passengers along for the ride. The go into lots of the fiords and stay away from the open ocean – which sounds a bit more suitable for someone like me who gets seasick. I’ve had a bit of a hankering to see the Northern lights for quite a while now, so it sounds pretty appealing – apart from the cold – Norway in February (best time for the lights) sounds a bit challenging -35C apparently. Not sure I could even buy clothing in Australia that’s suitable for that.

I then went to the gym and then onto the jeweler to try and find some new silver keeper earrings as the clasp on my old ones is so wobbly they were getting hard to close.

JJ – I agree with Cinque on the scales, they are evil little monsters.
    However, the instructions that came with my digital scales may clear up the erratic readings that you were wondering about. My instructions said that every time you move the scales they have to be recalibrated otherwise they won’t be accurate. For my scales that means I have to remove the battery and then put it back in and go through the 30 second setup process. I keep mine in a corner of the bedroom (on floor boards) and try not to move them.

I should also come clean about my cafe lunch which included a slice of lemon curd cheesecake – worth probably 4 times the calories I’d expended at the gym! But it was delicious. I think its safer to stay home, there’s definitely nothing like that in my fridge.

I suspect my resident magpie couple have hatched their baby. I’ve noticed that they are foraging for worms more often and I only ever see one at a time at the moment – one’s remaining in the nest. I’m looking forward to when the baby leaves the nest as both parents take it around my garden showing it how to dig up its own worms. Usually one parent shows the baby how to forage while the other keeps watch for danger. It’s really nice to watch, they are amazingly attentive parents.

CalifD, I can’t open it because we’ve apparently used up our broadband quota for the month and don’t get re-shaped to the faster speed until 22nd! Too bad because I was going to suggest that we co-ordinate the dance.

LJ, the cheesecake sounds delicious but you promised Penguin you wouldn’t tempt him! Never mind, tomorrow I’ll be confessing what I eat at tonight’s restaurant meal. Norway and Sweden have recently shown up on my travel radar too.

JJulie. Those youtube links to kefir are very good. There is some variation between them but if you filter out the obvious eccentrics the information is sound. I am not doing my own pickling yet, but I am eating more pickles. The change has altered the way my interior plumbing works. Having had colon cancer 18 months ago, I’m all for better plumbing.

LJ. Don’t worry about the cheesecake. There is always a recipe book somewhere near me and our television is sometimes wall to wall cookery, which has become known as “gastro porn”. As long as I stay away from the whisky I am in control. My work took me to Norway a couple of times. Oslo Fjord in June was like being in Hong Kong – flat calm water and brilliant sun, but it never got really dark, a little gloomy at mid-night. It isn’t always like that. One very cold March in Oslo (which is in the south) I asked when it stopped snowing. The answer was “Last year – June”. The people are great, and I say that not because my wife is one quarter Norwegian. I have not been with Hurtigurten but they are supposed to be the best. If you really fancy the cold they will put you in a kayak inside the Arctic circle. The thing about their coastal service is that, like the ferries around NW Scotland, it is really a service for the locals and the port visits are short, They will look after you well but you will spend a lot of time at sea.

CalifDreamer it is three years since my old dog died, but on an evening my hand will fall to where his head is supposed to be.

Thinatlast. I had that problem every time the grand children came. Unlimited is the answer!

Yesterday, Day 1 of my third 5:2 regime and no booze month took 3 lbs off me.

Penguin, glad to hear your B2B fast is going well.
    The temperature of Norway in summer sounds more inviting, but there’s no Northern Lights then and for me it really is the number one reason to go.
    Not sure about that kayak though. Last time I got into a canoe I rolled it over (we me stuck inside upside down under water! That was one on e of the lakes in New Zealand – can’t remember which one now. The tour leader had just gotten through telling us that women never rolled their canoes over because they have a lower centre of gravity, but the men needed to be careful. Clearly my centre of gravity wasn’t paying attention and I ended up drenched.

LJoyce,
    Going to any of the scandanavian countries is so amazing! Although I was born in Australia my heritage is Swedish with my immediate family living in Finland. I have Norwegian in me somewhere too. I have been to Rovaniemi twice. Once in summer and then the second time Just after Christmas, I think I flew up from Helsinki on the 27th December, there was heavy snow and -35 degrees. It was just magical!! I purchased snow jackets from both Myer and a ski shop in Adelaide when I was there. I travel to Japan as well and often when it is snowing. There is a clothing shop called UNIQLO where you can buy things online. You can get thermal clothing called Heattech which is really very good. You wont have any problems with this type of clothing.

Good evening all,
    Condolences Merryme and keep your chin up.
    I must say I have been listening to more music recently instead of talkback radio when driving, the talkback can wear you down.
    When I was a boy our family would visit friends who had a separate pool room with the loudest stereo system and the kids would always play Send Me An Angel and White Wedding with the volume at 10 and now I always turn it up when I hear them songs.
    I enjoy cooking on the weekends for the kids. I am not great but they reckon I go OK. I did bang out two different pasta meals made from scratch the other day prior to the boy’s basketball. One was a chicken, bacon and mushroom with cream for the boy and a type of amatriciana with tomatoes, hot salami strips, onions and parsley. The daughter loves this, I reckon they are pretty close to restaurant quality.
    I do feel lazy with my FD meals but it is so tasty and convenient.
    Welcome to the newbies and welcome back previous 5:2 followers, I am sure you will find the support here that is sometimes needed to keep the scales ticking the right way.
    I am enjoying my new clothes they definitely make you feel good and I only just got away with wearing an older pair of trousers the other night by strangling them with my belt. They will have to be set aside.
    I love watching birds in the garden some New Holland Honeyeaters had nest in my front yard, the chicks have already flown the coop and my resident blue tongue lizard scared the crap out of me last weekend when he moved as I exited the rear of my garage. You know something brown and moves out the corner of your eye gets you every time.
    Meals for the FD:
    2 x white coffee’s 300kj, 500g minestrone soup 800kj, 100g kidney beans 400kj and 150g mushrooms 175kj Total 1675kj or 400cals.

Joffy – those pasta sauces sound pretty good. I do pasta often these days, but when I do I tend to be a bit boring and make the same things. I do make moussaka fairly often when eggplant is in season and I’m thinking that your tomato-salami sauce would be wonderful in the layers of a moussaka.

JJ – thank you so much for the UNIQLO info. I’ve just had a look and they have some down jackets and parkas at reasonable prices along with lots of thermals. I had to laugh when I looked at the details for the down coat. It comes in a bag that looks like a sleeping bag cover. Complete with step by step instructions on how to fold & roll the coat correctly so that you can actually cram it into that bag.
    I don’t have any Scandinavian heritage that I’m aware of – although I do have English & Scottish heritage so there may be a few old viking genes from 1200 years or so ago. The idea of doing a fiord cruise around Norway started a couple of decades ago after a trip to New Zealand. I saw some of their fiordlands – I went to Doubtful Sound and Milford Sound. It was just spectacular, especially Doubtful Sound – one of the most memorable places I’ve ever been.
    The very earliest I’m likely to travel overseas is the end of next year, but it doesn’t hurt to start planning (and saving).

LJ. I have been upside down a few times, but I find the need to get my head above water is usually enough incentive to get me out. If you are thinking about going up the fjords next year you really do need to start planning now. I was going to do it last year and 6 months before I wanted to go to the far north it was already booked solid. Saving is also a good idea. It is a lovely country, but expensive. Alcohol is particularly expensive. On one trip I took a bottle of whisky. On leaving I gave three quarters of it to the hotel maid and she hugged me.

Lots of exercise today. My weekly Pilates workout first thing. I got home in time to take delivery of a ton of kiln dried beechwood off-cuts from the local saw mill. I have about half of it moved under cover and will get the rest moved this afternoon.

Penguin – is the beechwood for burning or for building things?
    The travel seminar I went to this morning was to market tours for the latter half of next year and early 2019. It had my head spinning a bit because I’m worried about committing to an overseas holiday before I have this house sold and the next one purchased and that’s likely to take at least another 6 months.

Thin & Joffy – Don’t know if you’ve seen the promos – Countdown is coming back to the ABC at 6pm Sundays. So you might just be able to indulge your memories of Billy Idol & Real Life for real. They are calling it Classic Countdown – don’t know if they are compilations of just selected episodes. (Penguin, your Countdown game show is a very different program to the one that all Australians know & love – at least those that were teenagers in the 70s & 80s.)
    When I was in high school, making it into the lounge room by 6pm Sundays was an absolute must. There was no point showing up to school on Monday if you weren’t able to talk about every clip in great detail. When I went to uni I lived at a hall of residence with 100 or so other uni students. We had one TV room that comfortably held about a dozen people. To say it was over crowed on Sunday night is a major understatement. Once every square inch of chair and floor was taken, all spare laps were fair game.
    These days we can watch music clips on youtube whenever we like, but there was a time when that one hour a week was the only opportunity to see new music. I remember it with so much fondness.

LJ. You make me feel old – I stopped being a teenager in 1964. “Top of the Pops” was the must watch when I was a lad.

The wood is for burning. It should last me until January, perhaps February. I go through about two and a half loads a winter. I am told it is carbon neutral- as fast as they clear a wooded area they replant it, although the new stuff is mostly conifer, not the cedar and beech that are native to this area. Local custom would permit me to go into the woods and cut my own, as long as I only take fallen stuff and don’t use a power saw. I did that initially but the stuff I get from the saw mill is pre-cut to the size I want, kiln dried to less than 25% moisture and still cheaper than burning oil. It comes on a pallet. Four pallets stood on edge and fastened together make one compost heap, which is my next job. Which will be fun because I have to move the two existing heaps.

Joffy. I have no idea what a New Holland Honeyeater looks like, sounds exotic. The buzzard that lives two fields away on the edge of the woods has come up to the village and is currently being beaten up by the rooks from the churchyard. My Robin has taken cover behind the shed.

LJ, Cinque mentioned watching Countdown on Sunday; I’ve heard of it but wasn’t here in the 70s or 80s. Your description of watching it reminded me of ‘Top Of The Pops’ which was a highlight every Thursday evening in boarding school in Britain. Everyone would crowd in to watch (the posthumously disgraced) Jimmy Saville present music from the Top 20. I’ll have a look at Countdown.

Joffy, you made me laugh three times, strangling the pants, White Wedding and the blue tongue.

It was a nice evening out with six ‘girls’ from my street. I’m lucky to live in such a friendly neighbourhood. The pub was too loud for me and I lost my voice shouting about the noise. I ended up choosing grilled fish & chips with garden salad. (I’d worn some new clothes I bought the other day and I was afraid the chilli mussels would be too messy).

There’s really only one thing I absolutely cannot eat and it’s beetroot. Well, the plate arrived with a huge pile of shredded beetroot mixed with something. I quickly got it off my plate before it contaminated everything else and onto a side plate. I forgot to ask for no salt on my chips, I have them so infrequently that I often forget to do this nowadays. So I could only eat a few of them which was a good thing. But that left me with just a piece of fish so I decided to ask for the advertised garden salad. The waitress brought me a really large attractive salad, much better than a garden salad so I was very happy with that. Some of the others had alcohol, dessert and coffee but I just stuck to my grilled fish & salad and drank a lot of water. Tomorrow’s a FD so all should be fine.

CharliesMum and I will be meeting for coffee in Bicton on Thursday morning so, if any Perth losers and lifers would like to join us, don’t be shy.

P.S. Penguin, snap! Your post wasn’t there when I started mine. I thought you might have also watched, ‘Top Of The Pops’. I loved it when Mungo Jerry got to no. 1 with “In The Summertime” and T Rex stayed at no. 1 for six weeks in 1971 with “Hot Love”.

Brenda Lee, Sandie Shaw, Buddy Holly, Roy Orbison, a young Elvis? Perhaps even those new guys, The Beatles.

For those of you that are interested in birds. Here is a facebook page with birds in my area.

https://www.facebook.com/PaulTBerridge/?hc_ref=ARRI7XusRo-ro77m6cdSevyAFkllHZcreCSr-PKz0D4iBhM4eQxjssOG-GlgZxLOsCI

Kefir. I am now letting it ferment for 48 hours. The last lot was then in the fridge for another 48 hours. We have just tried it – very thick. OH used a spoon rather than drinking it. Taste was actually a little milder than the shorter fermentation/store. I am getting about 1 litre from a batch so I am looking for other uses. Being a bloke I am not sure what a smoothie is, but tomorrow I will blitz some berries in with it and see what that is like. The thickness tonight was such that I may have bought my last yoghurt. Grains are coming on nicely, another couple of days and it will be curd cheesecake time.

Ljoyce I seperated my kefir last night as per your instructions and yes can definately distinguish the grains from the curds. Have been leaving it to ferment for 48 hours each time but suspect that will shorten as the weather continues to warm leading up to Christmas?

Just a thought – what would I do at the height of summer when its 40-45 deg and inside the house is extremely hot during the day with no air conditioner on while I’m at work? Would it be too hot to ferment kefir on the kitchen bench?

Good morning everyone, I have just been listening to John Paul Young talking to Red Symons about the Countdown show!
    Each episode covers a year, so it is full of memories for Australians of a certain age.

We were vaguely aware of ‘Top of the pops’ but Countdown was where it was at, here!

Penguin, smoothies have changed over the years! When I first met them in (hippie) Nimbin in the 70’s they were healthy milkshakes made with a banana, yoghurt, orange juice, a bit of milk, honey and maybe some oats. You could add berries or mango to make it a berry smoothie or a mango smoothie.
    Looking back I bet they were based on lassi.
    Nowadays they are more often full of kale and almond milk.

Those trips to the arctic circle sound so wonderful! I hope you can go LJoyce!

Yummy food everyone! Joffy your pasta dishes sound so delicious!

Thin I am so glad you got some good food as well as good company! It sounds like a great night!

I had an overeating day yesterday. πŸ™ I bought a curry puff at the shopping centre. Ate it mindfully and it was only okay. But I think it must have had something in it that set off the afternoon munchies. I got through it without stuffing myself overfull, so that is good. And lesson learnt (again).

Today I am having poha for breakfast (yummy Indian dish of stirfried rice flakes I’m making with cauliflower and peas and lots and lots of yummy spices) and then making zucchini and meatballs in a tomato and peanut sauce I’ll take to my daughter’s. Then fast day tomorrow!

Joffy I like that you have the same thing every fast day. Because so do I!

Good morning, Well I had a little tussle with my scales again this morning which turned out not to be too bad. I positioned them in the spot that I seem to be getting the best readings and with only one minor adjustment was happy to take a .2 loss today again. This puts me at 83.0 and makes a total loss of 3.9 so far. I had two good FD B2B for Monday and Tuesday. I am still not eating meat or drinking alcohol and this morning went for a 4kg walk with the neighbour. I am now quite hot and sweaty as the temp here is about 27C already.
    I am now going to start cooking!
    I need to make a veggie soup for me and I also picked 1.5kg of green tomatoes from my veggie patch yesterday, cut them up with onion and cauli and soaked overnight in salty water. Today I need to finnish off the green tomato mustard pickle I am making with all this. I am also making it gluden free just in case my brother in law would like to try it.
    Catch up with everyone again later and hope all have a fun filled day of weight reduction!!

I enjoyed the Carnaby Cockatoos video, thank you. I’ve met Willy Wagtails when I visited my mother working in WA for a year, I stayed 3 weeks mostly in Bunbury a place I loved. I do quite like them, they remind me of our fantails, cute little comical birds. My mother taught me (by imitation) to talk to fantails from a very young age, you suck in and hold your lips between thumb and index and wiggle your lips. So I’ve always had a special place in my heart for fantails and will always talk to them when I see them. I had one young one when I visited my mother for Christmas that we had a really long chat, and then I heard it talking to other fantails I can just imagine what it was saying “mum, dad I just had a really long conversation with a human!” pretty much what I’d told my mum. Then every morning when I went out it was there waiting to talk. They also fly down around your feet while you’re walking to try and get any bugs you turn up. Magpies in my country (NZ) are scary, they’re very aggressive. We have a pairing at the hospital where I work, and numerous blackbirds turn up dead with a hole pecked in their heads. One day I saw a couple of ladies at work find a box and line it with a towel and run outside, I thought bird rescue? Sure enough, they had rescued a kingfisher from the magpies. It soon recovered, and I peeked inside the box later and this huge beak (they’re kookaburra shaped but blue colour) was pointing at my eye, so I quickly shut the box, oh it’s okay now.

I accidentally had an icecream without thinking last weekend on a fast day. I’d had to go to the laundromat my washing machine is broken, and I had to go to the dairy around the corner to buy a key card and the ice creams were there, so it was a culmination of very rare events. I’m not worried, one little slip up.

I got a fruit box yesterday from an Auckland company (Huckleberry.co.nz) whom I would thoroughly recommend for all sorts of foods if you live in NZ, and was thrilled to find a couple of custard apples in there. They’re one of my favourite fruits. I haven’t had these since I visited Melbourne in 2009 while my SIL was pregnant with my eldest niece. I first had them at Paddington markets Sydney right before crossing the Nullarbor on the Indian Pacific in 2007 I think. I remember because they said you can’t take any fruit off at Adelaide so I had to leave it all on the train, was a waypoint so I was reunited a few hours later on return to my cabin. Otherwise I think I would’ve done my best to scoff it all down there and then! I’d been to the Paddington markets and so many new fruits, I told myself buy three fruits you’ve never tasted before. So I bought rambutan, longan, and custard apples (which I’d heard about and always wanted to try but never come across). These are now three of my favourite fruits, and every time I visit Australia I seek them out and destroy (by eating). I’ve never seen custard apples in New Zealand before. I was super excited, I had half a one last night, and even better than I remember.

I forgot what else and my lunch hour is almost over so I’ll sign off. Oh I remember, there are new Fitbit scales out, version 2 supposed to be much more accurate, I would buy them if I didn’t already have some. They really keep me honest, weighins go straight to my Fitbit account, so I can’t pretend oh that didn’t happen.

Jody

All this talk of the music from our teen years had me listening to my “Nostalgia” play list on my ipod as I went to sleep last night. (I have my old ipod permanently on an ipod dock on the bedside table so that I can listen to music as I read myself to sleep every night. My “Nostalgia” playlist is mainly 80s music with a bit of late 70s thrown in – David Bowie, Dire Straits, The Cure, Talking Heads, Depeche Mode, New Order, Divinyls, Hoodoo Gurus…

Thin, our Countdown was hosted by an equally colourful character, but not with the same criminal behaviour as Saville. “Molly” Meldrum was definitely an original and was famous for never using a tele-prompter but basically making it up as he went along – on live television and often with comic consequences. The Brits among you might enjoy watching his interview with Prince Charles in the late 70s: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-72muL9zrI – You might also like PCs comments on the experience: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efOk7jEZHZc

GDSA – Although this is all theory as it hasn’t been hot enough to test yet, I’m thinking kefir fermentation in an Australian summer should be overnight. So start it in the evening and leave it on the bench overnight. The grains slow down in the cold and become almost,,but not completely, dormant in the fridge. So, you could put it in the fridge in the morning (undrained) and then pull it out when you get home from work and see if it’s ready yet – if not, give it another evening and possibly overnight on the bench. If it ferments very quickly then you may just have thicker kefir in summer.
    I actually like the thicker kefir – I no longer buy natural yoghurt but use the kefir instead – it’s a bit runnier but workable. I used the kefit to make a yoghurt style dressing to have with a felafel stuffed capsicum for dinner last night.

Jody – I think magpies have that aggressive-protective streak everywhere, but depending on their early experiences they can be friendlier. My aunt lives around the corner from me and she feeds all of the birds that live in their very large garden. She has one magpie pair that have been there for years (one of the pair has a badly healed leg fracture). They’ve successfully raised many chicks. They are wary but not afraid of humans and I think that when their chicks are grown and forced to leave home they don’t go far. I suspect that one of the pair that lives in my yard is probably one of those chicks raised in my aunt’s garden because it behaves with the same approach to humans – they keep to 2-3 metres away from me but are unafraid and they look to me as a source of assistance rather than threat. Although I do not feed them, they certainly appreciate it when I do some gardening and bring worms closer to the surface. They like the bales of pea straw that I get in each year too – I think they pinch a bit for their nest. I also make sure there is a bowl of fresh water available in the garden in summer in case they need a drink.

Cinque, I feel the same as you about yesterday’s indulgence – too much but not the out of control binge that it would have turned into once up a time.

Today is controlled rather than fasting for me. It’s also a quiet day at home, so no cafe food to tempt me.
    I added lunges and situps to my routine at the gym yesterday and my inner thigh muscles are complaining today. I think a walk to stop them getting tighter might be a good idea.

Hi Everyone
    Sorry I was MIA yesterday. I looked after 2 of my grandchildren as my daughter worked. I have them from 8 – 5.45 so a very busy day ( but fun, they are so gorgeous!)
    Last night I went to my first ever Pilates class and was able to do most of it without embarrassing myself. My stomach muscles aren’t that good after having 4 ( quite big ) babies. It was fun to go with my 2 daughters and I will commit to Tuesday nights with them.
    My younger daughter doesn’t work Wednesdays and today we walked around the lake with my older daughter and my daughter-in-law as well. Our picnic lunch was healthy with some rice crackers, dip, nuts, cut up veggies and some fruit.
    My daughter is cooking dinner tonight and is making cauli fried rice.
    Yesterday was a fast day and I will fast again tomorrow as my mum is coming over on Friday.
    LJoyce, a cruise like that sounds wonderful but I, too, am not used to those cold temperatures or have the right clothes. It is on my bucket list πŸ™‚
    Thin, have a lovely catch up with Charlie’smum.
    JustJulie that’s a great loss, good on you
    Cinque, I will be watching Countdown too. It will bring back many happy memories πŸ™‚
    Have a great day everyone xx

So many interesting posts here tonight! I’ve been watching clips from Count Down and Molly Meldrum on YouTube for the last hour or more. I had never heard of either before. That interview with Prince Charles is hilarious! Loved watching parts of the shows, many of them later than that one I think. The only show over here that I can think of that had popular music was Shindig, from 1964 – 1966, in black & white. It was much tamer than Count Down though. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=46K0IzErJsA I can remember a comedy show, Laugh In from 1968 – 1973 that people thought was very risquΓ© back then. TV shows in the US we’re pretty heavily censored at the time. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GlsQFUtMDvI

Penguin, I thought I’d died and gone to heaven when my dad let me go to the Sandie Shaw concert at the Brighton Dome. I thought she was really cool, definitely pushing the boat out coming out on stage and singing barefoot! I loved her Eurovision winner, “Puppet On A String”. The supporting band was The Tremeloes. They had a hit called, ‘Silence Is Golden’. Because I was such a huge Sandie Shaw fan, I knew that her husband was a fledgling fashion designer called Jeff Banks. I still think of her whenever I see his labels in Aussie stores.

CalifD, Rowen and Martin’s Laugh-In was a Saturday night staple at our house. There was a lot of opening and closing of coloured ‘windows’ making little one-liner quips. I couldn’t understand a lot of the humour as I was a kid and that was before I moved to the USA. Take me back to the good old days before political correctness and all the other nonsense of today. Simpler, uncomplicated times.

Stay, no apology necessary, you can pop in when you feel like it. I’m thinking of doing some pilates but just here at home. I’ve been meaning to look up about a half dozen starter exercises.

I carry on making my kefir just the same in summer. It just takes less time of course. But we do keep our house temperature controlled. Mine’s thick and creamy and I sometimes add frozen blueberries and just eat it like that, I don’t bother blending it. Sometimes, I add a drop of vanilla for a treat!

No damage on the scales after eating in a pub last night.

I shall watch those Countdown and Laugh-In clips in a couple of days when the broadband speed picks up again.

Viewing 50 posts - 12,751 through 12,800 (of 28,011 total)

You must be logged in to reply.