Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,917 replies, has 832 voices, and was last updated by  thinatlast 1 day, 14 hours ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 11,751 through 11,800 (of 28,021 total)

• Welcome Mgrogan, hope you find 5:2 works well for you. I use a spreadsheet as a food diary, however I’m retired and home a lot so time spent fiddling around in a spreadsheet is no hardship for me. I also find I can use the spreadsheet to create a rough meal plan for the week which helps me organise my shopping list. Most people who want a more mobile “press a button” option use either their fitbit or a smart phone app.

CP, you aren’t alone in sticking to a small number of recipies on FDs, I think most of us do the same. I have approx 3 cold weather and 3 hot weather FD meals that I rely on almost exclusively. Not having to think too hard about what you are going to eat on a FD is helpful – I also find I don’t want to have to spend a lot of time cooking on those days (the more time I spend handling food the more I want to eat). I also agree that FDs can be easier if you are busy, especially if boredom usually equals eating for you – it did for me, but it’s one of many bad habits I’m trying to break. I find that I don’t need to be busy all day, but a busy afternoon really helps.

Thin – I’m going to keep you guessing because my forum name actually has nothing to do with my own name – it’s just a coincidence that my middle name is contained within it.

Thanks LJoyce, I am retired and home so can use a spreadsheet, which web site do you use to look up calories? Thanks from south coast NSW.

Hi Mgrogan, I have a few sources for nutritional data:
    – My preferred website is http://www.foodstandards.gov.au/science/monitoringnutrients/nutrientables/nuttab/Pages/default.aspx
    This is a government source which contains full nutritional information (not just calories) and is the data that Australian food manufacturers usually use in working out their own product nutritional panels. This site is good for basic or raw ingredients – it doesn’t do brands.
    – If I’m using a product that has a nutritional panel I use it. I have actually created a separate sheet in my food diary spreadsheet that contains the nutritional data from products I use regularly calculated for my usual serving size (basically if I’ve worked it out once I don’t want to have to keep repeating the exercise).
    – For branded processed foods, or anything not covered on the Nuttab site I mostly use http://www.calorieking.com.au/
    – I will occasionally use http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calorie-chart-nutrition-facts but I have less trust for the data because it’s American and their manufacturers don’t necessarily formulate products in exactly the same way that our local manufacturers do (eg they use a lot of corn syrup as a sweetener but our manufacturers don’t). I usually only go to this site if I can’t find something elsewhere.

Many thanks L.Joyce 🙂

Thank you for the warm welcome everyone! @thinatlast, I really do like the Vegemite. I think I’ll order a jar of the Marmite which seems to be a British version and maybe similar?

@merryme, when you use the sliced tomatoes or avocado with the Vegemite on toast, do you still include butter? It would be nice to eliminate the butter because of the calories on a FD. The bread already adds quite a bit.

@ljoyce, thank you for the link to the Aussie nutrient table. It seems comprehensive but I’m having trouble getting the whole pages to load. I’ll try again later, maybe the site is just busy.

@mgrogan I use myfitnesspal to record my food choices and keep track of calories on FD. (I don’t count calories on NFD, but try to eat mindfully.) myfitnesspal isn’t always accurate and I sometimes go in and change calorie values, especially on generic or home made recipes, but it’s easy to use, can travel with me on my iPhone which means it actually gets used.
    One thing to keep in mind which other people have mentioned before in these forums, is that regardless of what calorie database you use, they are all estimates. Foods vary by growing conditions, types of soil and all sorts of other factors. And even if we had a perfect measurement, each person’s body and metabolism is different in many, sometimes obscure ways. So all of this is just estimates, estimates that seem to work pretty well and are the best we have outside of a laboratory. But it’s not worth making yourself crazy over minute calorie differences.

Thanks @califdreamer – note to myself NFD = non-fast day not non-food day! :). I have started using myfitnesspal – I like that I can copy across food already entered. I wanted only an idea of how I was going. I might keep the diary for all days. 🙂

Good morning and welcome to the newbies. Another chilli morning here in the Flinders at minus 3.

Im a happy little vegemite this morning – exactly 1kg shy of my original weight goal of 65kg YAY YAY ! (Oh and by the way I can’t stand vegemite – yuk). I only picked that weight as it was a nice round figure of losing 10kg. I reckon when I hit 65kg I will change my fitbit weight goal to 60kg as that’s probably about the lowest I would want to go. I can’t let that new coat become too big for me now can I ?

My waist measurement is now 80cm – down from 95cm when I started FD in Feb this year. So another YAY YAY! No wonder my tracky dacks (Track Pants to the non-Aussies) are literally falling down.

I’ve really noticed the difference when I look in the mirror. Double chin has disappeared, bottom seems to be more taunt, underarm flab mostly gone, thighs definately less flabby,roundish belly nearly flat and not sure if cellulite is actually vanishing or whether it’s still there but not as visable anymore.

Ive googled what my ideal weight should be but the advice is conflicting. My Dr said I should be 68 but I havent been impressed with him of late so taking his advice with a pinch of salt. Does anyone have a reliable source to find this out for me? I’m 49 years, 165cm and female with no medical or health concerns. Thanks in advance.

Good morning everyone! I have granddaughter here so I will write in bits and pieces. Great post Gday! Congratulations! Isn’t it lovely!
    Re your ideal weight, the best science can do is the healthy BMI range. I think there are several cues to find your own right weight (which is almost certainly withing your healthy BMI range https://www.heartfoundation.org.au/your-heart/know-your-risks/healthy-weight/bmi-calculator
    1. What feels good
    2. what your body naturally settles at (while eating well and doing 5:2)

It has fascinated me that with 5:2 (and no sugar) I first lost weight quickly, then slowly, then settled on my weight at the lower end of my healthy weight range.

Must get a reluctant girl into the bath. See you later.

Good morning, Gday. Congratulations on all of your weight loss! 10 kg is a good amount of weight to lose. I think we have to look at ourselves when we get to our goal and decide if we like the way we look and the way our clothes fit. I would say having to decide whether to set a new goal is a nice problem to have!

I wouldn’t worry about the coat too much. You’ll probably need to wear more layers under it to make up for the fat you lost that kept you warm. 🙂

Congratulations! That’s my Goal weight (perfect would be 62) I’m 170cm but I agree it’s just what you’re comfortable with. BMI is a good indicator but if you’ve lots of muscle it doesn’t work. There’s probably also a “bikini body” and a happy body version too!

Hi GDSA
    I suspect the reason your GP said 68kg should be your goal weight is because it’s based on BMI. BMI is the accepted measurement method for obesity within the medical profession. The “normal” BMI range is 18.5-24.99 and the overweight range is 30-34.99, with various obesity ranges starting beyond this. For your height 68kg is a BMI of 24.98 – so it’s the top of the normal weight range. The full weight range for a “normal” BMI for your height is 52-68kg.
    There are a lot of critics of BMI because it’s such a blunt measure and doesn’t necessarily measure good health.
    Another measure which can be useful is 80cm maximum waist measure – this comes from the heart foundation: https://www.heartfoundation.org.au/your-heart/know-your-risks/healthy-weight/waist-measurement This creates a great deal of variation between body shapes. (For example I get to a waist measurement of 80cm when my weight is 78kg and my BMI is 30, because my body shape is hour glass. I know some people who need to be in the lower half of their healthy BMI to get to an 80cm waist because of their body shape.) The reason waist measurement is important is because it’s not just what you weigh, but where your body fat is stored that increases your risk of diseases like heart disease, diabetes and stroke.
    The third measure I think is a personal one – how do you feel? Do you feel fit and healthy? Do you have enough energy? Are you at a weight you think you can actually maintain long term?
    Hope that helps rather than confuses.

GDSA, one more thing I probably should mention is body fat percentage: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_fat_percentage
    In Australia this is used a lot in gyms but not really medically.
    It can also be expensive to determine – you usually have to pay a fee to have it tested by the various machines that can test it with any reliability – that’s if you can even get access to one.
    I personally think that for good health, where the body fat is located on your body is more important that your actual percentage.

GDSA, I really enjoyed your post this morning. It goes to show that this is something in life over which we CAN have complete control and you have done something positive in what was otherwise a very crappy year for you. Huge congratulations for achieving all this in the face of adversity. I’m sure the changes you’ve created within yourself have made a big impact in the way you have been able to tackle these trials. For me, the biggest change is the confidence that comes with feeling comfortable in your own skin. Time to get the cardboard out and do the living room visceral fat test?

For those just embarking on this WOL, please keep in mind that ‘maintenance’ is largely boring and quite a lot more challenging than the weight loss stage. I always thought I’d switch to 6:1 when I reached my goal weight and that would be a sort of reward. The reality is that a few of us have tried this only to discover that 6 NFDs are too many in a row to keep portion control under wraps and there’s a tendency to slip back into the old ways. You basically have the choice of switching to 6:1 and maintaining very strict vigilance for 6 days (a bit like a ‘diet’) or continuing 5:2 and enjoying the odd restaurant meal and some indulgences. For some it might mean the ability to re-introduce additional carbs or similar. Continuing 5:2, for me, means having what I want MOST of the time. I switch to 6:1 when we go overseas.

I mention this only because, when you have a lot of weight to lose, it might seem daunting. And when you’re nearly at goal weight, it can be hard to know when to stop. But the reality is that this will be for life and when we re-read Dr M.’s book, we’re reminded of all the other health benefits of fasting and why we started it in the first place. Besides weight loss, the benefits I’ve enjoyed include a healthy BMI; a healthy waistline measurement; excellent BP (have taken meds in the past); increased agility & stamina; decreased issues associated with OA knees; not to mention never-ending compliments as I dropped from size 18 to size 10 which give one a massive boost; being slimmer than my husband for the first time in our married life; being able to zip up my wedding dress (with me in it); being able to get out of the bath without planning ahead and other silly little things like that.

During this time, 5:2 has naturally shaped my portion sizes and eliminated late-night snacking without my even noticing it happening and, through the knowledgeable contributors to these pages, I have learned so much about nutrition and life. For the first time in my life I have control over food instead of the other way around. As Intesha pointed out, I am very well behaved wrt to rigid adherence to FDs but what she didn’t say is that my NFDs are still a work in progress. I’m much improved but still the same person I always was and some habits take years to dismantle. My only regret is that I haven’t noticed any improvements in mental acuity after practicing nearly 300 fast days. Then again, I might have deteriorated without it!

So wherever you are in IF, we’re really all in the same place, striving for a healthier, happier, longer life.

P.S. Welcome mgrogan too! I started 5:2 with my OH and planned one month’s FD ‘meals’ in advance. I entered these on a spreadsheet which calculated 500 cals for me and 600 for him. After I’d done this for a few months, I could mix and match the ‘meals’ depending upon what we had on hand. I remember a great deal of careful planning and boring calorie counting in those early months. Nowadays, it’s only me fasting and I eat the same thing at 2pm every FD (cauliflower soup, 103 cals) and then like you, ChrisPat, rely on just a handful of favourites for my main ‘meal’ at 5pm. I still plan ahead but no calorie counting required.

Newbies, did you know that we have a recipe page to help you plan your FDs? https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/southern-hemispherites-fd-recipes/ Feel free to add your own recipes. We just ask that you keep them in roughly the same format (giving number of serves/calorie count) and just the recipe, no chit chat please. This is so that people can copy/paste the whole lot or easily find something without having to scroll through pages of conversation. If you have a question about a recipe, you can find the poster elsewhere on the forum (usually here) to ask them about it. Enjoy!

Good evening all,
    Just running towards the end of a FD watching LeTour. It means for many late nights in July every year but I enjoy it.
    Hasn’t this thread been busy, I saw the page number and I was sure it was 234 when I posted last so thought perhaps I was wrong when I saw 236 then had to go back two pages to catch up on the commentary. Great to see new people beginning this journey, it is worth it, with so many benefits and it is quite empowering when you stop and think what you are doing.
    Loving the bird talk as I enjoy seeing and hearing the different species in our area. I have never gone far enough west to see a Major Mitchell in the wild though I do get plenty of galah’s, cockatoo’s, corella’s, etc. but we do have gang gang cockatoo’s here they make a distinctive call and my favourite king parrots they are so inquisitive often landing within one metre or closer and just looking at you. They are so beautiful.
    For working out kilojoule or calorie intake I used the following link: http://www.weightloss.com.au/diet/food-nutrition-tables/food-tables.html which I found excellent for getting into this way of eating, finding out strawberries are a lo-cal snack, working out salads and recently realising mushrooms are a filling lo-cal food to add to my soups. I know it says diet but the food tables are what I am reading. Just a note watch out for olive oil in cooking on a FD as it can tip you over easily, it happened to me with corn flour when making the sauce for a stir fry. Olive oil is 3700kj or 884cals per 100grams.
    Merryme I would imagine the person who had bubble baths for their reward on achievements was following Thinatlast’s naked 5:2ing Haha. Look out Dad jokes flying around here. I couldn’t help myself.
    Meals for the day:
    2 x white coffee’s 300kj, 500g vegetable soup 670kj, 400g tinned tomatoes 390kj, 150g mushrooms 173kj Total 1533kj or 366cals.

I know what happened to the minestrone soup and beans?
    Well, being as organised as I am I bought some kidney beans as I was out but did not realise my daughter had minestrone soup for lunch on Saturday whilst I went to work thus knocking off the last of my stash (I had bought half a dozen cans for $1.65 each bargain) and the pot tonight got too full when I added the tin of tomatoes to try and turn the vegetable soup into a minestrone so I couldn’t have kidney beans.

Your Dad joke made me laugh Joffy. I had to look up both those cockatoos you describe and what a beauty that king parrot is. You should have left out the reference to the absent kidney beans just to see if any of us noticed. It can’t be too bad if the children are eating your FD food; I don’t think I’m at risk of anyone making off with my cauliflower soup …. are you watching out for an Intesha drive-by down there in Melbourne?

Joffy and thinatlast, when you mention tinned tomatoes, do you mean whole canned tomatoes? We get whole ones here in a can or crushed or pureeed.

Thinatlast, I’m going to get some cauliflower to try your soup. I love cauliflower and your recipe looks like it would be good.

I’ve been cooking my own beans lately from dry beans. I purchased an Instant Pot several months ago and it’s great for cooking dry beans, even if you forget to soak them overnight. It’s a pressure cooker, but you just set it for the time you want and forget it. It automatically turns off and keeps warm. I have a regular pressure cooker but I have to watch it and adjust it during the first parts of the cooking. And I have to remember to turn it off. I find I do many more beans with this Instant Pot because it’s so easy. And dry beans are a lot cheaper here than canned ones. Beans are really filling although they’re relatively high in calories for a FD. They’re full of fiber.

I’m trying to think in terms of the metric system for weights since being on this forum. I’m used to US pounds and ounces, but I think about it, metric is much less confusing. And most of the rest of the world uses metric. I wonder how we came up with our system to begin with? I’ll have to look it up.

I was looking for a lower calorie food to use with the Vegemite yesterday and tried it on some steamed broccoli. It doesn’t go with that at all. It seems bread products are the way to go. I bet it would be good on a bagel with cream cheese. But for now I’m sticking with sourdough bread and butter.

Thanks everyone for your wonderful responses to my last post. It appears that I’m ticking along very well. My stats according to my fitbit tracking are as follows-

Resting heart rate – 52 bpm
    Cardio fitness – 40-44 which has increased in the last few weeks and is now in the ‘excellent’ range for my age.
    Body fat % – 34.6
    Lean vs Body fat – Lean 43% & Body 23%
    BMI – 24.4

LJoyce I know theres a gym nearby that has a machine to accurately measure body fat percentage so I might inquire about the cost to have this done. Would be interesting to see how it compares to fitbit measurement.

Well time to start the day. I’m in the process of building a new chook house and yard in preparation for some new laying hens. So far I havent spent any $$ – using building materials that I already have lying around. I’m very much the horder and love to recycle and get creative with new uses for things.

Joffy so pleased someone else is watching Le Tour. Mind you I had a day off after seeing Richie injured, will watch again now was just so sad! I was at the Tour when Cadel won so a bit of a Tour tragic! Happy sipping everyone!

Good morning. It was a cold night in Melbourne, but my little home has kept me snug.

Fast day today! A proper one! Yes Wednesday this week, not sure what I am doing on the weekend yet!

Lovely to read through the posts!
    Hi ChrisPat, Merry. Alitalia, Mgrogan, Cali, LJoyce, Thin and Joffy

Cali I think you are right sticking to vegemite with bready things. If there was nothing else I would add a little to add depth to stews and soups but I prefer other things that do that. Wait til you have finished your vegemite before buying marmite. Vegemite keeps well, but gradually gets less moist and spreadable in the jar so you might as well work through it.
    When you get marmite you will be shocked by how sweet it is and the other slight differences, and wonder why we put up with any marmite eaters here (Thin!) but then you will get used to it, and if you try vegemite again it will seem strangely different and saltier. That’s my experience anyway!

I agree with Thin that maintenance with 5:2 just doesn’t have the excitement of losing weight with 5:2. All those little rewards of seeing changes in your clothes and scales and looks in the mirror. All the exciting decisions to make about new clothes that fit your new shape!
    The things you find out about your eating habits and changing them! The surprises at how you manage (or not), the insights you get about those childhood messages that seep into your psyche! The challenges you face and the pride you get in finding out what works, and letting it become a new, healthier habit.

But there is a steady comfort in maintenance! I don’t stop learning. I don’t stop playing with my fashion style (or, to tell the truth, my non-fashion style! 😉 ) coping with little slip ups with that lovely sure confidence that that all I need is a fast day to reset things and get me back on track.

Hmm, better touch wood and whistle after that! And go and make a cup of tea.

Hello to all the bits of Australia and the world waking up on a new day. Especially thinking of you waking up in beautiful Broome Chrispat!

Cheers all!

Good morning everyone. I have sunshine this morning which makes a nice change from the wet weather.

GDSA – we had a chook house like that when I was growing up. My mum usually kept 10-20 laying hens and my dad built a 2 room chook house for them from wood, wire and metal sheeting that was lying around (one room had roosting slats and nesting boxes and the other was more open and was where their food and water was and room to sctatch). They were always allowed out though the day to scratch around in the garden, then locked up once they’d gone in to roost at dusk. Just make sure whatever you build is strong enough to keep the foxes out – they will try to get in at night if the wire isn’t strong enough.

Calif – I know people who put a little vegemite on celery sticks when they want a savoury low-calories snack. It’s OK, but I definitely prefer it on bready bases. My low calorie options are usually rice thins, corn thins or cruskits as they range from 17-23 calories each. I sometimes have 2 with a scrape of butter and some vegemite as an afternoon snack – it comes in at about the same amount of calories as an apple (helpful for me as fruit is my preferred afternoon snack).
    In Australia we changed from using imperial to metric measurement in the 1970s – I was already at school so I basically learned both. The difference I find trips me up most often is that an American tablespoon is only 15ml, not the 20ml that it is everywhere else – it can really muck up a recipie, especially if I’m measuring something like yeast.

Minka – my inulin order finally arrived today. I didn’t realise 2kg would be so much. I think it will keep me going for a while. I’m thinking I’ll start with 1tsp twice a day and see how my body reacts, then build up to a 1tblsp twice a day if my gut is ok with it.

Joffy – a bit of variety in the soup department never hurt anyone, even if it was unplanned. Don’t worry, I’m keeping the minestrone momentum going, it’s been my go to meal for FDs lately as I made a huge stock pot of it and have about 3 litres in the freezer in single serves. If I remember your earlier posts, this isn’t the first time your daughter’s eaten your minestrone stash – sounds like you’ll need to cater for two now. (Good that she’s happy to have such a healthy lunch.)
    Thanks for the naked 5:2 chuckle. I am one of those people who thinks of soaking in a bath as a relaxing treat. I had a few years before I had the knee replacement done when I could get into the bath but not out again – slight problem there – so no baths for a long time. I’m enjoying them again this winter – best thing for removing that bone deep chill.

I’ve made a pot of pumpkin soup to my SILs recipie – it has lemon and nutmeg rather than the more usual potato and cream and I love it – really refreshing flavour. It will be lunch for the next few days.

LJoyce, that pumpkin soup sounds interesting. Approximately how much lemon? Any potatoes or cream at all? I doubt that I’ll be able to find fresh pumpkin this time of year, but they probably have the canned stuff. Funny that I never think of all your crops changing along with the seasons opposite ours. When we’re picking asparagus, you’re harvesting pumpkins. 🙂

Hurray Cinque, we’re synch’d today! Only joshing with you as I know how patriotic the Aussies are about their vegemite. I don’t eat either that or marmite as, like you all say, it essentially requires bread & butter which I don’t need. I did make another large pot of your mung bean soup though, yum. CalifD if you like cooking beans, you can find some legume recipes here: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/beans-and-lentils-recipes-tips-and-information/page/2/ and I see that LJ has recently added some lentil recipes. That pressure cooker gadget sounds a winner. Oh, and tin = can, yes.

CalifD, when making the cauliflower soup, add the pepper cautiously. Merry got hold of a potent strain of cayenne and was unable to eat the soup. I make up a large batch and always have FD portions in the freezer. I just love cauliflower, it’s like a super food to me. This week, I made cauliflower au gratin – that sounds so old fashioned but it’s one of my better childhood food memories and it was so good. Do you use cauliflower rice?

Interesting article in the right side bar of this site: How on earth did they manage to sell us this stuff https://t.co/PH5bcjF618

LJ, OK, I love a riddle so I’ll keep guessing about your handle – but only if there is actually a chance of my solving it. And is SIL sister or son-in-law as I don’t remember your having mentioned any offspring before. Thinatlast was a tongue in cheek handle as I weighed 83kg at the time of its creation. And yet, here I am!

Thin – SIL is sister in law (my ex-husband’s sister). You were right in your assumption – I don’t have children – just one sister, a niece and nephew, and 5 great nieces & nephews (that range in age from 3-21). Seeing all of that written down makes me feel old, although I was an aunt by age 12 and a great aunt when I was 33.

Calif – It always seems weird to me to think of canned pumpkin – I’ve never see it here – if we want pumpkin we have to cook it ourselves.
    The pumpkin soup recipie that I make is:
    1/2-1 butternut pumpkin, depending on size (I use about 1kg – 2 pounds)
    2-3 carrots
    2 onions
    1 clove of garlic
    1 tsp butter or oil
    1 1/2 litres (approx) veg or chicken stock
    salt and pepper to taste
    1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
    1 lemon (or 2 limes if they are easier to find)

Peel the veg and cut into large chunks. In a large pot, soften the onion with a pinch of salt in a teaspoon of butter or oil. Then add the pumpkin, carrots and garlic and cover with stock. Simmer until the veg is very tender. Add the nutmeg, a little pepper and the zest of the lemon. Puree the soup and taste. If you want it more lemony (which I always do) add the juice of the lemon as well. Adjust the amount of salt, pepper and nutmeg to suit your preference. (Depending what is in season I also use the orange sweet potato sometimes as a substitute for the pumpkin.) This freezes very well.
    The amount of calories depends on the type of stock you use and the actual weight of veg, but it works out at roughly 250 kilojoules per 250ml cup (60 calories per metric cup). It is still a creamy textured soup but the flavour is very fresh because of the lemon. I find it cuts through the sweetness of the veg.

When I think of canned pumpkin, I imagine the style used to make sweet pumpkin pie as a symbol of harvest time. Your recipe is a lot like one I use for family FD meals. I love butternut pumpkin. Right now I could eat my own arm, I rarely feel hungry on a FD but today I woke hungry which was annoying and I keep looking at the clock. Maybe I should stop talking about food until my first feeding. I’m already on my third cup (same tea bag) of Madame Flavour tea treats, orange & choc ceylon. It smells divine.

Ooh I like that lemon pumpkin soup recipe!

It is nice to know I am fasting with you Thin! Good luck with your hungry day. I am finding today so thrillingly nice after my recent struggles.
    And hi to other Wednesday fasters!

An excellent thing about fast days is that I can wear those trousers and they get looser instead of tighter through the day!

Scored a padded silk jacket (silk lining too) at the Op Shop this morning. So soft and light! So warm I have turned off the heater.

Everything is ready for my fave miso soup this evening. I have radishes and brussel sprouts to add to the chicken and mushrooms.

I have a bit of difficulty cooking on fast days, but I am making harira soup (lamb and chickpeas) ready for the week ahead! That will fill up the time until I eat my miso soup!

LJoyce saw your post on the other thread. I have that Elizabeth David book too, and love her research on muffins, crumpets etc.

Thanks for the link to that article Thin, I have posted it on my YamDaisy fb page!

How is Yam Daisy Mark II coming along Cinque? All is well here now that I have that hot soup inside me, I feel great. Yes, I love that feeling of getting smaller as the day passes! And sometimes weighing less just before bed than when I woke up.

Do you have trouble cooking on a FD because it’s too tempting (this doesn’t bother me as I’ve now learned not to lick spoons when I cook so I can cook smugly on a FD) or because, like me, you experience brain fog on a FD? Or something else? I find I have lots of energy to do physical things on FDs but can’t think clearly so following a recipe is a challenge. Today, no cooking required! OFMs are having last night’s homemade Indian curry leftovers and I’m having Sunday’s root and barley soup leftovers. Fabulous.

Hi, I live near the southern outskirts of Sydney, Australia.

The sulphur-crested cockatoos come around and tap their beaks on our kitchen window and take bread straight from our hands, but once they figure out there’s free food to be had there will be 20 or 30 of them around the back door every morning and afternoon. The cockatoos do too much damage to the plants and the house and the local government sends notices around telling us not to feed them.

Rainbow lorikeets will come right into the kitchen and hop around on the benches if we leave the windows open and offer bread. We also get king parrots, a couple of different types of rosellas, kookaburras (even noisier than the cockatoos), and galahs.

Possums eat most of our apples and chilies.

I’m a miso soup fan as well. I’ve tried the powdered miso soup, the freeze-dried miso soup and the paste and I like them all. The paste works out cheaper so I mostly use that. I’ve tried adding stuff to it to make it more of a meal, but I find that I enjoy it more with just the paste and bits of seaweed that it comes with.

Thanks LJoyce for the pumpkin soup recipe, it sounds really good and I have to try it. I have a favourite recipe for pumpkin soup, but it needs a lot of bacon which bumps the calories right up. 60 calories per cup sounds perfect – but I’ll be sure to calculate the calories when I make my own. If you know anyone in the Adelaide Hills with the surname Anderson or Watkins, chances are they are relatives of mine.

It’s my headspace I worried about Thin, but actually it isn’t messing with my headspace at all! Pressure cooker is going! And it being so close to my soup time makes it easier too.

Here’s my latest YamDaisy news! http://www.yamdaisy.com/july-2017-news/ I’ll start following up local commercial kitchens tomorrow.

So glad you are feeling good after your cauliflower soup!

@ljoyce, when you say butternut pumpkin I wonder if you’re talking about one of these: http://lh5.ggpht.com/_-XV_Vd2B_F8/TIMkKF5JfTI/AAAAAAAAGAc/lmg3fTgWtiw/IMG_8318.JPG

We call those a butternut squash. I think there are still some in the stores this time of year. This is the thing we call a pumpkin: https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRH90WUrykP2z-5O6kIvIQSawGsSaw3bDTFAtgOg3XPhyXCLeT7

Both would probably work in your recipe. The latter are the ones we can get puréed or mashed in a can, not the butternut pumpkin or squash.

Thin, thanks for the warning on the cayenne. I like things pretty hot but I agree that sometimes you buy a new container of it that’s really strong. Always good to taste it first.

I like this sprinkled on a things, even in soup. It’s milder than the red one of the same brand, but saltier too. And it has a little different flavor, more vinegar maybe.

I think I’ll do a Wednesday FD too since I did Sunday as my first one. But you’ll all be ending your day around the time I start! And I better get to bed if I want to wake up on time!

@big_bill I would be in heaven if I could open my back door to a bunch of Cockatoos! You all are so lucky to live in such a wonderful place. But I understand about the damage they can do. Gilligan once decided to have a go at the door frame and chewed a big section in the inside of bird room before I noticed him doing it. We usually kept a few inflated balloons on the floor so they wouldn’t go down on the floor. They have a lot of hanging branches and their cages with open doors to climb around on. But that day there weren’t any balloons. After he died I just painted over the chewed door frame. I couldn’t bear to replace his “handiwork”. We used to buy the birds 1.3 meter long pine boards to chew on. They really like chewing!

Calif – yes I do mean butternut squash, although you can use any pumpkin or orange fleshed squash that is available (I have even made it with all carrots on occasion) – I just prefer the flavour of butternut to all other squash/pumpkin. In a pinch I’ll use a variety we call Queensland Blue http://www.thelostseed.com.au/assets/full/Pumpkin07447.jpg – given the name I doubt you can get than in the U.S., although it may be know as something else over there.
    Because the tropical areas of Australia have a very different growing season to the southern states, things that are grown in the southern states in summer, the tropical regions will grown in their dry season – which is winter time. It means, for instance, that in the depths of winter we get lovely strawberries from Western Australia and Queensland. It also means that we can get veg like pumpkin all year round that is grown in Australia.

Big-Bill – I am amazed that the possums will eat the chillies. The one thing I can grow without it being eaten is citrus – neither the birds or possums will eat through the skin to get to the fruit. I’m amazed that they will eat chillies but not citrus peel.

I’m doing an unexpected FD today. Unlike Thin I have had little appetite today and apart from a small glass of chia berry pudding mid-afternoon, I’ve just wanted cups of tea. So I’ll finish my day with a bowl of pumpkin soup and call it a FD. I’ve needed strong pain killers to sleep for the last few night and my head feels very foggy today. I think it’s had an effect on both my appetite and lack of energy today.

LJoyce, that looks a little like our acorn squashes: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4087/5196852790_3700682351.jpg

They’re a little bit sweeter than the butternut squash. There are several different types around in the fall, but the butternut and acorn squashes and the big orange pumpkins are the most common.

I hope you feel better.

Calif – there is nothing little about a Queensland Blue pumpkin. The picture must be deceptive, because even a small one would weight at least 3-4kg (about 7-9 pounds) and they can be much larger. I struggle to lift and hang onto them. Because they are large they are rarely sold whole. The green-grocers cut them into wedges of 1/2-1kg each for sale.

It must be early hours of the morning over your way.

LJoyce, those Queensland Blues are big! Like some of the big orange pumpkins we get here.

Yes, it was very early morning, around 1 or 2 am when I typed that last post. I’m a night owl but not usually up that late. I was wide awake yesterday, maybe because I hadn’t eaten a whole lot, even though it was a NFD.

I was thinking about @thinatlast post about maintenance perhaps being the most challenging because of fewer changes and compliments and such and I agree. I’ve gotten to my goal a few times in the past by other diets and the longest I’ve maintained was maybe 9 or 10 months. But I think I have a big advantage with 5:2: I’M NOT AFRAID OF BEING HUNGRY.

Before 5:2, the thought of fasting brought on an almost panicky feeling. Perhaps it wasn’t realistic but the thought of getting hungry and hanging on by my fingernails in the throes of starvation, gasping toward the evening hours with only a meager 500 calories under my belt wasn’t too far off of what I feared. 🙂 Come to find out that eating nothing at all until 2:00 or 3:00 in the afternoon goes by with only occasional pangs of hunger here and there, that go away. 500 calories seems like a good amount of food on a fast day, since I’ve learned to maximize quanty vs calories. I have my favorites and they’re simple and I make sure they’re always available.

I’ve discovered that fasting or very low calorie eating produces a good feeling rather than a bad one. I’m used to it now. I enjoy the feeling of lightness. I know for a fact that I’m not going to starve to death or feel weak or collapse in the middle of the supermarket! In fact, I often don’t eat until noon on the following NFD. And there is almost always a payoff the next morning in terms of weight loss. If there isn’t, I know my body is just holding on to water. The loss is under there somewhere! This makes me look forward to FD rather than dread them.

It’s also comforting to know that if I’m going to a party or it’s during the holidays, I can eat whatever I want. As long as it isn’t an outright binge, eating on NFD is part of the plan. I think it helps to reset my metabolism just like a FD does. I know the difference between eating to celebrate or eating high calorie foods because I crave them, and sitting alone in front of the refrigerator and eating everything that isn’t nailed down!

So with that very real fear of being hungry not there anymore, and because this way of eating has been pretty easy for the 9 weeks I’ve been doing it so far, I’m pretty sure I can maintain.

Hi all. Purchased a medium sized second hand chest freezer yesterday. My upright freezer is always full to the brim as I cook in large batches and freeze to make midweek meals easier.

Miss D has had friends over every day this week (it’s school holidays) so it’s been a full on, noisy, busy house. Today we are looking after one of her school friends as both the child’s parents are working. Will spend the day in town as I have lots of errands to run, plus a food shopping list that’s a mile long – pantry and fridge are nearly bare – unlike the freezer! Will treat us all out to lunch as one of the local haunts has just had a makeover, including a new menu so hope it doesn’t disappoint.

Hi team,
    Gosh I’m on a FD today. Very excited by the latest ideas on gut health. I think Mim Spencer has it right. I now spend hours in the bulk food store – avoiding bpa packaging, found the dried broad beans😃. Gosh I puréed a bulk lot with a juicy lemon from our tree, added 2 huge Russian Garlic cloves & I just add herbs to suit the dish on the table. The calories can be reduced or piled on depending on your count that day, wow it is a sensational addition to veggies or salad 🥗.
    I’m off to the gym for a toning boxing class , my strength training is working now 6 months on😃.
    Have a great day,

Good morning everyone,
    As I was going through my facebook feed this morning I thought of you Cali. This is a lovely group I follow, and if you use facebook you might like to follow it too: https://www.facebook.com/AustralianParrotsAndBirds/

Big Bill I didn’t see your post until after my last. So lovely to hear of the beautiful parrots around you!
    One of the most common here are also rainbow lorikeets, and the lovely greeny grey grass parrots. And the beautiful galahs ofcourse (I’m right in Melbourne). I saw more when I lived in the hills, love the king parrots and rosellas.
    My best parrot story was camping on the way to the Grampians years ago, and the sulphur-crested parrots, hundreds of them, were so loud that we couldn’t hear ourselves speak for the hour until night fell.
    But my very favourite were the red tailed black cockatoos up where I was teaching in the Gulf country. I loved seeing the big black flock feeding on the grass, and then they would fly up with their red tails flashing. Fabulous!

Glad to see another miso soup lover! Mine was just delicious last night.

Parrots and pumpkins! We hardly use the word ‘squash’ here Cali. Butternuts are interchangable with other pumpkin flesh so we call them pumpkins, and for the rest it is mostly zucchinis! (Ooh just remembered acorn squash and patty pan squash, but they are much less common!).

Cali such a good post about your 5:2 philosophy! Enjoy the losing stage!

Gday, how exciting to have your new freezer! Enjoy! (Don’t forget to label everything!). I have trouble with my top of the fridge freezer, as it isn’t very big. But I am practicing making sure I use the things I put in it within a few weeks and that is a great habit (once I master it!).
    Your home sounds wonderful at the moment. Lucky daughter! Enjoy that lunch!

Hi Hedda! Aren’t those bulk stores wonderful! I also love the dried fava/broadbeans. Fava puree is my latest thing!
    Wow you are going great guns! Enjoy that boxing!

Well the morning is flying. I had a slightly disappointing breakfast as the expensive sourdough bread I bought yesterday is so much sweeter and saltier than my own bread. How many times do I have to learn that my own bread suits me better than anything I buy! But it wasn’t too bad…. and now it is time for coffee!

Hope you are having a lovely morning after fast day Thin! Hi Minka, Intesha (in Melbourne now?)and everyone else. Best wishes for a good day!

Good morning all, lovely calm sunny day here after some rain overnight and buting cold wind yesterday coming up from the snowfields down south. Hope it’s a good day where you are too.

Umm, I need some advice from the oldies please. I’m struggling with my FDs this week. It’s a pretty high stress week, all day everyday, and 3 days in a row I’ve attempted a FD. Usually it’s Mon /Thurs FDs. Tried Monday, tried Tues, tried Wed – each day the pattern has been the same. 3-4pm-ish I break the fast, It won’t be too much or dreadful food butthen somewhere between then and bedtime I eat way too much of something. Trying to get my head around what I’m doing – am I just stress eating, or amI reacting to stuff I’ve eaten that are my no go foods that cause reactions. Now I write that I’m thinking it might be the latter along with a bit of stress eating. The stress has been clouding my thinking a little, along with a bit of ME/CFS brain fog from so much happening. We’ve had 2 weekends in a row of celebrating something special in others’ lives (and another this weekend) and while gluten free was available I’ve had a little grain food, and sugar definitely.

OK, just writing this helps me think through what’s going on and I think there is definitely some intolerance reactions happening, so I need to go into my 5 day recovery pattern, that I’ve explained before.

Onwards and downwards,
    If you fall off the horse get back on – (I write this because I have fallen off the horse a number of times, keep getting back on, got the weight off, off blood pressure meds, cholesterol improved, mobility and balance increased, look normal now)
    Merry

Pumpkin/squash thoughts:

USA: pumpkin = sweet dishes
    Australia/NZ: pumpkin = savoury dishes

Those round orange US pumpkins remind me a bit of the pumpkins in Turkey which are grown for their seeds and the rest is thrown out. Didn’t get sa close up look but looked like not much flesh, skin a bit yellower.

Remembering childhood in the 50’s and 60’s, everyone growing Queensland Blues in the backyard, picking them and ripening on the shed roof. Best pumpkin for roasting along with potatoes. Killer to cut though.

Sending you best wishes Merry. I bet you are right, it may be those sugars and grains. Hope you can give yourself permission to eat whatever you like, that is NOT grains/sugar and get through the reactive period.

If it is something else, hope it comes clear!

Bunch of flowers for you https://www.colourbox.com/preview/4063670-bunch-of-wildflowers-in-early-morning-light-in-front-of-lake.jpg

Cinque, your story about the noisy parrots reminds me of our camping trip at New Year (about 6 months ago). We drove from Sydney to Melbourne along the coast and stopped for 2 nights at Eden. Bellbirds make such a lovely sound when there’s just a few of them, but there must have been hundreds of bellbirds in and around the campground and their constant “ding ding ding ding” drove us mad.

Merry, when you get that irresistible urge to eat something – especially something sweet like chocolate – chances are it’s low blood sugar messing with your head rather than lack of resolve.

I know that I need to be careful about eating much in the way of simple carbs – although often I’m not careful. And normally when I can feel that my blood sugar is all over the place I can trace it back to too much sugar and simple carbs.

Sticking to whole foods tends to fix it.

Cinque, thank you for posting that Facebook link for the Australian parrots. They’re stunning! So many beautiful birds in your country! You’re so lucky to live there.

MerryMe and Cinque, the only thing we call a pumpkin over here are the big orange things. Everything else is called squash. Pumpkins are used mainly used in pumpkin pie (sweet) or pumpkin soup (savory). The other squashes are used in savory recipes mainly. The only one I can think of in a sweet recipe is the acorn squash. They are often cut in half, seeds cleaned out, and butter, cinnamon and brown sugar is added, then baked.

MerryMe, I bet it is the sugar and maybe the grains that are causing you to overeat on FD. I have to stay away from sugar as it almost guarantees that I will overeat on fast days. And on NFD I avoid it in the afternoon and evening or I’m off on a roll. I like it too much and it plays havoc with my blood sugar.

I agree with Big_Bill about avoiding simple carbs. Whole foods always seem to be the best, for me, because they’re more filling. The grocery stores are filled with junk food.

Hedda , the bulk food store sounds great! Beans are so filling and keep me satisfied for a long time. And although the canned ones are very convenient the ones cooked from dry beans taste so much better if you add your own spices and herbs to the cooking water.

Today was a NFD, but I made a dinner that I normally reserve for FDs – an omelette. Except I made it the way I used to, before it became one of my regular FD meals. So I put a generous amount of cheddar with the spinach, mushroom and tomato filling. I even cooked the mushrooms in a little butter before using them in the filling. I can’t believe I’m saying this, but it didn’t taste right and I struggled to finish it – the flavours were too rich because I could really taste the extra fat that isn’t in my FD omelettes. I must have become so used to my low cal omelette that my taste buds expect a certain flavour these days, I guess that’s a good thing.

Merry, hope you get your food intolerances controlled soon. If you have 5 day plan, it sounds like you’ve had to do this many times.

GDSA, hope you get that new freezer filled soon – perhaps once school is back and the house isn’t overrun with extra kids. I remember my mum getting a huge chest freezer in the 1970s – as a child it was always a challenge getting something from near the bottom without falling in head first. I know my mum really loved the work it saved. She had always preserved the summer fruit glut by putting everything into vercola jars and going through the whole sterilisation and vacuum sealing process in batches – it was a lot of work. Once she had the freezer she would stew the fruit in a huge stock pot and freeze it in old ice cream containers – a much quicker process.

Cinque, I agree about the bread. I like to make my own, but don’t always schedule my time adequately to accomplish it. Luckily I have one local bakery (Mylor Bakery) that I can rely on to make bread exactly the way I like it, but everything else available is a compromise. I recently bought soy, besan, lentil and teff flours so that I can have a bit of a play with some new bread recipies. I’ve used soy flour in normal bread loaves before but I’ve only used the other flours in flat-breads, so I’ll see how it goes.

BigBill, I have a similar approach – choose whole foods. Not only are they more filling and tastier, but my gut is whole lot happier too.

CalifD – I can’t imagine putting sugar and cinnamon into a pumpkin and baking it, let alone eating it – definitely a step too far for me. I might have to try pumpkin pie one day – it might expand my ideas of what pumpkin is suited to. I noticed that my American cookbooks talk about winter squash and summer squash. I had assumed that the winter squash were the tough skinned varieties like butternut etc (what Aussies would call pumpkin or trombone) and the summer squash were thin skinned varieties like zucchini and patty-pan squash. On the topic of large squash, I went to the green grocer today and they had trombone (do you get that in the US – the veg not the musical instrument) – no kidding this trombone was at least a metre long. They had a couple of them cut into lots of pieces and wrapped for sale and they had left one whole so everyone could see it. I remember trombone being one of the veg my mum would use in pasties when she could get it, but I’ve never seen one this large before.

Oh no, there are so many things I want to comment on, I wish we could just meet for coffee! So I’ve decided to answer them one at a time in no particular order.

So CalifD first: I so agree about the hunger thing. The sky will not fall in if we feel a bit hungry. And hunger comes and goes in waves, it can easily be distracted. I also welcome that sensation of feeling a little bit empty as it reminds me of why I’m doing this. And I also sometimes spend the last few hours of a FD thinking of what I might eat the next day but, when that NFD arrives, I find I am not hungry at all.

Thank you for converting to metric for us antipodeans. One of the reasons I gained so much weight when we moved here was because switching systems made it so easy to turn a blind eye to weighing, say, 70 kgs which meant nothing to me, whereas I knew full well that the equivalent 154lbs meant I was considerably overweight.

In the past I’d easily lose a heap of weight through deprivation of some group of ‘forbidden’ foods and then, once at a good weight, I’d seem to ‘get away with’ eating this or that for some considerable time (usually about 2 years) until suddenly that weight would start to pile back on like a runaway train. Why on earth did I not realise that I had to learn to eat for that new weight? The cruel irony of the lower TDEE. And the realisation that, as we age, we need less food. Yes, I think you’re right, we do have the tools for long-term maintenance now. You mentioned a 30th anniversary I believe – are you in your 60s like many of us here? How much weight are you hoping to lose?

Thank you everyone for your advice and the flowers are lovely thank you Cinque🙂

I’m thinking both blood sugar and the intolerance withdrawal are involved. The consistent 3-4pm thing makes me think blood sugar , and this afternoon I got to 4pm no problem and had Flat white coffee no sugar. Then we went to the movies for a break from everything, and I had a few strawberries with me to have during it. At 6pm it was clear that I was going into almost a hypo – ME/CFS has a particular version of this- and I had to go out of the movie and get another flat white and miss the other half of the movie. (It takes a lot of visual and auditory energy to watch a movie at the cinema). This type of low blood sugar, low energy “hypo” is different as it doesn’t respond to sugar, like a normal hypo where jelly babies are a commonly used to raise blood sugar. Anyway what happened tells me I’m not quite as well as I thought and I need to pay more attention to my energy levels and my pacing of them.

I think the over eating later in the day on each of the 3 days could definitely be related to my food intolerances and I’ve started my 5 day regime today. I have multiple food intolerances including all grains except corn including 2 of those being allergies. Also intolerant gluten. I’ve been extensively formally tested including gastroscopy biopsy etc. Some of those are a particular type of intolerance that causes an addictive response. All grains except corn and the 2 allergy ones cause that response. It takes 5 days of nothing I’m intolerant to for the other reactions and compulsion to eat to stop.

So, today I’ve been much more mindful of what I’ve been eating, done a successful FD with 500 cals instead of my usual 360, and kept within my allowed non-intolerance foods.

Yes, I’ve done my 5 day programme many times over several decades. Over those days I allow myself to eat the quantity I crave but only of my allowed foods, and try to put strong tastes in there like Bhuja, curry etc we have 1 last celebration to attend this weekend so I think I will take some of my allowed foods with me. The most important thing for these 5 days is to not eat any of the reactive foods. But, I’m pleased today that I got through the day with 500 cals,

I really appreciate everyone’s support today, thanks! 🙂
    Merry

Hi Merry, yours was the next post I was going to comment on but now I see you’ve already worked it out for yourself. Sorry to read that you’ve been having some trouble with your FDs lately. I didn’t really have any useful input except that I realised after yesterday’s FD when I woke hungry that it was probably because of what I ate late in the day on Tuesday. It started with wanting a few tsps of kefir but I didn’t like the taste so added some milk. Then I thought a few blueberries might be nice and shortly after that, I added some muesli. The whole thing fit in a small cup but I bet that’s why I woke up thinking I was hungry yesterday. I’d kicked that evening muesli habit so not sure why I did it again. Anyway, I was just going to offer that as a possible reason for what happened on your FDs this week. So, which movie did you miss the ending to?

Hi there Big Bill. Welcome to our thread. I expect Joffy might be glad of some male company here.

Cinque, we had some red-tailed Black Cockatoos in the trees yesterday. We get dozens of rainbow lorikeets with their very distinctive screeching jostling for position for a bath in our water fountain. They’re not native to WA but have been introduced to Perth. We never feed birds, tempting as it. And yes, thanks, it’s been a lovely day after FD today.

Oh dear, I’m still not caught up and now it’s time for bed. Said Zebedee.

MerryMe, one of your comments, that you went into a “At 6pm it was clear that I was going into almost a hypo – ME/CFS” I’m not sure what that is, but I know it must have felt bad if it made you miss half of your movie. Just one thought, because I had a couple “bad feelings”, hard to describe except light headedness and kind of a weakness and sitting down didn’t make it go away for long. I took my blood pressure and it was very very low, both numbers under 100. I have cut my BP meds down to 1/2 a tablet in the morning since starting the 5:2 (from 2 whole ones of different types) and probably don’t even need the 1/2. A half teaspoon of salty water and cup of coffee brought it back up to normal levels. This happened the day after a FD when I hadn’t eaten much yet.

Your post made me think of it because I’ve never experienced anything like this and the feeling was so persistent for about an hour, not just a lightheaded feeling when I stood up. Could that have played a part in the way you felt? Do ou ever have issues with blood pressure? Before 5:2 mine was occasionally really high, probably mostly due to stress from my job.

I’ve started having a cup of miso when I feel this coming on and the Vegemite with its saltiness gets depleted salt levels up too. Just a thought.

Good morning all.

Had a great day out with Miss D and friend yesterday but wow I’m feeling the effects of eating out. I ordered a small vegie pizza as the menu choices consisted of mostly deep fried food or pasta with heavy sauces. The pizza base was thick and undercooked and there was so much topping and stodgy cheese it was quite unpleasant to eat – all I could taste was raw flour. For some unknown reason I ate most of it and now I’m paying the price. 1.5kg weight gain ! Ouch ! Feeling bloated and lethargic this morning. Suspect the uncooked flour and high salt levels have lead to water retention so hopefully it will drop off over the next few days.

Most definately a fast day today for me and even thinking of doing an extended fast as feeling like my body needs it.

Funnily enough my belly is growling like crazy at the moment which is unusual for me. In fact even on an extended fast I’ve never had this much growling going on. I can feel my stomach churning and popping (weird but thats what it feels like). I guess it’s struggling to process the horrible food I’ve inflicted upon it. But on a positive note perhaps my body is now so used to processing fresh whole foods that it’s struggling to process the white flour, yellow gooey cheese etc and because the food wasn’t satisfying my body is telling me so.

Note to self – avoid that restaurant from now on and if Im not happy with a meal or feel it’s no good for me then just cut my losses and dont eat it.

Thinking of ordering MM new gut book. Does anyone have any feedback on it ?

Viewing 50 posts - 11,751 through 11,800 (of 28,021 total)

You must be logged in to reply.