Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,907 replies, has 831 voices, and was last updated by  thinatlast 4 days, 7 hours ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 11,801 through 11,850 (of 28,011 total)

• Good morning. It is cold and dark and wet here,

Gday I am just imagining your body churning and popping, working through that meal yesterday. What a clever body!

I just checked our library website: it does have the Clever Guts book, it is on loan and has 26 reserves. It might be a while before I read it!

I am feeling sorry for myself as I overate last night too. All very good food, but too much. That tired evening thing. Oh well, I know what to do!

Big_Bill those bellbirds can be so loud! And they don’t stop! But I do love them. There are none around here, but everywhere in the Dandenongs where I once lived.

Thin, as if Perth didn’t have enough beautiful birds without them introducing more! Good grief!

LJoyce, have fun with your added flours! I am going to give the rest of that loaf to my daughter and make my own. I use mostly white flour but add other flours according to whim, but only 1/2 a cup. (I have that Elizabeth David bread book, but I always make my same no knead style loaf). You are so lucky to have an alternative to homemade, I haven’t found one yet!

Cali, ME/CFS you have probably heard of as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Merry and I both have it quite severely. Many of us have orthostatic intolerance, I can’t be upright too long. Standing still is the worst but even sitting is tricky. It is like my blood drains out of my brain down to the soles of my feet. (Salty miso soup is very good then! But lying down is best) Was your episode related to that Merry?

Merry, be careful, after all the stress and all you have managed to do, you might need to slow down even more than you think you do (think what you can do and halve it, think how long it will take and double it). Hope I am wrong, but even though you are brilliant at careful management, this stressful time has been going on sooo long.

Best wishes to everyone for a good day today with as much eating, and doing things, that are good for us as we can possibly manage!

GDSA, I’m all for encouraging people to invest in ‘Eat, Fast, Live Longer’ before embarking on 5:2 but wrt the ‘Clever Guts’ book, I’d borrow it from your library. I read through it for about an hour in a book shop and I didn’t find anything that I didn’t already know. It doesn’t quite feel right saying that on this site but it’s my honest opinion. With all the reading and research that you’ve been doing, I believe you’d find it very basic. If you want more in depth scientific information about the gut, I recommend ‘10% Human’ by Alana Collen (not Colon!). It’s a fascinating read. BayleafOz has also recommended a couple of books on guts. I believe one was, ‘Gut’ by Giulia Enders. This is in no way intended to take anything away from Dr M. whom I admire greatly – but he’s a medical journalist and has long moved on from 5:2. That doesn’t mean we have to.

Good mirning all,

Thin- thanks for your input 🙂 It confirms , I think, something I thought of after I did the pist – that evening tiredness thing. Remember the question: if I eat (mindlessly) when I’m not thinking I should (sigh…wish I was a wordsmith)..,is it because
    1. I’m thirsty
    2. stressed
    3. bored
    4. tired ****
    Tiredness is possibly your reason for the throwback to the muesli response, and probably a factor in my evening response as well as reaction withdrawal. You conquered the muesli thing long ago.

LJ – There was something I was going to discuss with you but having a little senior moment…..

CalifD – ME/CFS = Myalgic Encephalomyelitis commonly known as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome , where the fatigue is not normal fatigue but equates to “cellular exhaustion”. Cinque and I both have had this condition for a couple of decades. It’s a complex , multi-system,neurological disorder. With this the body does not produce enough energy, and you have to pace your life minutely to only use up energy slowly, at a slower pace than you are producing it. There is also negligble or no energy store to call on. Eating sugar may raise blood sugar quickly but doesn’t result in us making more energy at a mitochondrial level in each cell. So, when you start to (energy) “crash” itfeels like a hypoglycaemic response but isn’t quite the same, though “hypo” is a useful term to use with the general public. The fastest thing to use to get out of a ME/CFS “hypo” is chocolate (has been researched), because of the combination of chemicals in it, but I settles for milk.

Firgive typos please

Merryme, I’ve suffered from ME/CFS for ~ 20 years. My good days are when I can walk 200 – 400m. I’d love to be swimming/boogie board at the local beach (on south coast NSW) or playing golf. I’m wheat intolerant and insulin resistant. Chocolate is my craving when low, I did not know of the research. My “crash” is either when I wake up (as if a Mack truck has driven through the bedroom) or I can hit the wall during the day.
    I’ve been on and off diets since I was 11 <cough,splutter> which was many, …, many years ago.
    This is my 1st week, but 2 x FD have been OK, better than I thought I would be, and other days, I’m hoping to manage +/- 1300 calorie/day.

GDSA – Those big gains from one overindulgence are so frustrating – even worse when it wasn’t great food. (I once gained 3kg overnight after a restaurant meal.) You really can seek reassurance in the weight gain being mainly fluid retention – unless the pizza that you ate actually weighed 1.5kg (which I doubt), then it can’t be anything else. These days I just don’t weigh myself after these things – I don’t need the stress and I know that if I resume my normal diet and do my FDs my body will get back to normal after a few days.

Cinque – I’m going to have to wait until there is room in my freezer before I bake bread again. I seem to be filling up all of the spare spaces with containers of soup. One loaf of bread usually lasts me at least a fortnight so I need to slice it and freeze it once it’s cooled.
    Have you tried breads available through health-food or organic stores? I can’t get breads that I like from normal bakeries, but there is an organic & health food shop not far from me and they sell fresh bread from several bakers, including the Mylor Bakery that I mentioned earlier. The other thing I might suggest is an online search for true sourdough bakers in your area and then look at where they sell their bread. If you are happy to keep baking you may not need this, but I certainly like having a backup plan because sometimes I just don’t have the time or energy to bake myself.

Merry, Cinque & Mgrogan – it’s tragic that we have so many ME sufferers, but I really hope you can be a support to each other. Always helpful to have advice from someone who understands exactly what you are talking about and has practical suggestions from their own experience.

Mgrogan – glad your first week went well. There are a few of us with low TDEEs that need to stick to a pretty low calories level on the NFDs, so you aren’t alone with that one. Coupled with the way chronic illness impact our ability to be active it can mean the weight loss is slower than we’d like. But the weight does come of – it just requires a bit of patience.

Merry – don’t worry about the senior moment, I have more of those than I like to admit to myself these days. I used to have a perfect memory and when it started to fail me I panicked and asked my doctor if it could be early Alzheimers – he laughed and said “welcome to life after 50”. Now I make lists as I can’t rely on my brain to remember everything correctly anymore.

Originally I had planned for a FD today, but because I had an impromptu one on Wednesday I’ve already done 2 this week. Funnily I don’t appear to be hungry today so it might just end up being as NFD where I actually eat a bit less than my TDEE – not something I manage to do very often so I think that’s a good thing.
    I still find that every time I have a low appetite day my mind immediately thinks I should make it a FD. I’m trying to stop always doing this, but it still usually ends in an internal debate about how to approach the day food wise.

Hello fellow CFSer Mgrogan.
    Need to say my CFS crashes aren’t from sugar, and I’m pretty sure chocolate doesn’t help (sigh). Much more connected with the OI (see my last post). Need to lie down and slash my activity for the next while and see how quickly I recover. My energy envelope shrinks dramatically and I have to work out how small it is now and how quickly it will start enlarging. A delicate process. It may last weeks.

Cheers to everyone who doesn’t have CFS!

LJoyce I only try bread from health food shops or maybe going out of my way to try a bakery that bakes sourdough made with stone ground flour cooked on the premises… (luckily only a couple of suburbs away). Still inferior to mine! (To my taste buds anyway!).
    No problem usually as I have lots of flatbread, dosa, waffle and pancake recipes I can make to fill the bready space!
    We do bake bread similarly though! I bake a big loaf and then cut it in two and put half in the freezer to have the following week (on average).

Have fun playing with the concept of ‘the day you aren’t very hungry’ a fascinating one to address. Good luck.

I’m preparing for an evening where I will eat my meal and that is all!

MerryMe, I didn’t realize that you and Cinque and now mgrogan all suffered from ME/CFS. That must be a lot to have to deal with and probably makes the 5:2 that much more difficult. But being at a healthy weight must help.

LJoyce, I did FD both yesterday and today as well as Sunday. All were impromptu as I had originally planned to do my regular Mon & Thurs. But I have a high school reunion the end of next week and it sure would be nice to get this 64.3 down to a solid 63 by then. I don’t want to get into a habit of doing 3 FD per week because I’m afraid it could slow down my metabolism, but just for this week I’m glad I did. I know there are people on the forum that regularly do 4:3. I wonder if they lose more in the long run?

Cinque, have you ever used a sourdough starter to make your own sourdough bread? I tried starting one from scratch once but found that it took too much “babysitting” and adding and subtracting things the first few weeks and gave up on it. Good sourdough bread is pretty easy to find around here because we’re only a couple hours by car from San Francisco and they’re sort of famous for it. It’s my favorite, the plain old white flour type. They do have some whole wheat sourdoughs but I haven’t found one that has the same sourness. That’s what I’ve been eating the Vegemite with.

The Marmite arrived today. The flavor is sweeter but kind of similar. Since it was a FD I didn’t want to eat bread and butter, so I’ll try it tomorrow.

Thin, I bought the Kindle version of this book on probiotics, which has a lot of info on gut health: https://www.amazon.com.au/d/ebook/Probiotics-Protection-Against-Infection-Natures-Warriors-Disease/B002WN2YIO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1500014711&sr=8-1&keywords=Probiotics+Casey+Adams
    It was a couple years ago, but as I recall it contained a lot of good information. I make milk kefir and often make my own sauerkraut. Both are really good for gut health and have many more strains of good bacteria than most of what you buy in the store. They have to at least partially kill off a lot of the good stuff before it is packaged or it would continue to ferment and blow up the bottles or jars. And home fermented sauerkraut stays crispy even if you let it get really sour.

Good morning all.

Thinatlast thanks for your advice and I think you may be right that MM’s gut book probably won’t tell me anything I don’t already know seeing as Ive read so many food/health/fasting/Paleo etc books in the last 6 months. I have the Eat Fast Live Longer book and love it. Ive just started Amelia Freers – Eat,Nourish,Grow – really interesting reading and of similar ilk to how I am heading with my food/lifestyle changes. Ive also borrowed Janella Purcells – Elixir, havent started reading yet but I do know that her way of eating is a bit beyond me as its total full on vegan.

Another note to self – stop going to the library to borrow health/nutrition books and start concentrating on reading my study books !! You can see where my passion lies can’t you 🙂

FD yesterday worked a treat as Ive lost the weight I gained after that awful meal.

Spent all day yesterday building the chook house with just some finishing touches required today. Sunday morning were off to Jamestown to collect 6 new hens. They’re 26 weeks old so at the age where they would just be starting to lay. Im soooo excited about having our own eggs again. I hope our old hens get on well with the newbies, hence building a new enclosure and chookhouse so I can keep them seperated for awhile and introduce them slowly.

On a sad note Miss D’s favourite old hen ‘Mayor Dewie’ went to chookie heaven this week so only 6 out of the original 24 left now. Have to think of 6 names for the newbies – suggestions welcome.

Time for another coffee and then get the day underway. I’m on perch building and rainproofing duties while Miss D’s in charge of nesting boxes.

Happy Saturday everyone.

Good morning everyone,
    Hi Gday, exciting chook news! Except for poor Mayor Dewie ofcourse!
    I do love chooks! (I was born in the year of the chook 😉 )

A friend put up a fb post about ‘She sells sea shells on the sea shore” so I linked her to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Anning famous fossil finder. So my suggestion for the names would be archeologists. As well as Amelia Peabody (a character, bot a real archeologist, there are good names among them like Gertrude Bell! https://womenshistorymonth.wordpress.com/resources/women-and-series/women-and-the-sciences/women-and-archaeology/ And chooks do like scratching around in the dirt!

Hi Cali I have used sourdough, luckily I was given a jar of starter. It was many years ago and, like you, I found it was time and trouble to look after. It was like having a pet (like my compost bins are!) and I didn’t even like the bread better. So I am very happy to use that wonderful modern invention: dried yeast! I only use a quarter of a teaspoon per loaf, and generally only bake once a fortnight, so I am set up very well.

Well it is day before fast day for me. Yes, I get to do my favourite Sunday fast!

Enjoy your marmite!

Thin, you did say you made the mung bean soup again didn’t you? I was thinking about it, and delighted that you liked it enough to make it again, but I think I missed saying that at the time. I need to buy more mung beans before I can make it again, but I am determined to use up the small red beans before I buy more! (I made a big pot of Tex Mex vegetarian chili with them the other day, so I am getting there!).

Off to make breakfast, best wishes everyone for an especially good day! We even have sunshine here!

I’m so far behind in commenting that I’ll have to let the parrot/pumpkin conversation go. Yes, Cinque, the mung bean soup will be a regular but I too need more beans. Goody, you’re fasting tomorrow too.

CalifD, thanks for the link. I make milk kefir. I was introduced to it by someone I met on this thread, CharliesMum, who was kind enough to give me some grains. I managed to kill them while on a lengthy o/seas trip but then, PerthGirl, also met through this thread kindly gave me some more which are very happy. I’ve met seven SH posters for coffee and I’m very grateful for the friends I have made here over the 3 years, both real and cyber.

I’ve never tried 4:3, and certainly not B2B fasting. From what I’ve learned on these pages, it hasn’t made much difference to posters’ weight loss and may increase the tendency to compensate on the NFDs. Have fun at the reunion. I attended a 30 year reunion in the UK, hmm, that was over 10 years ago. The room was full of old looking people! I hadn’t seen anyone in 29 years but when they opened their mouths, their voices were unmistakably ‘them’.

GDSA, that sounds like a fun project, how many eggs do you anticipate per day? (I know you shouldn’t count your chickens before they’re hatched but what about the eggs?). My neighbour’s lad called one of his chickens ‘nugget’. I thought it a cute name or does it signify too much time spent at McDonalds?

Where are you Minka?

Good Morning🙂
    Well I’ve managed to read and post a bit more the last few days, which feels a bit more like normality, though “Life” is still full on.

Mgrogan- so sorry to hear you have this nasty bl……… thing too! But nice to meet you too🙃 That’s an upside down smile because sometimes the world seems upside down when you’re viewing much of life from a prone position. I put on nearly all my excess weight(30+kgs) after getting ME/CFS, as do many others. 5:2 has been the only way I could get most of the weight off, and it feels wonderful to be a normal weight. Minka has a condition with similar consequences and is also now in maintenance. We have a CFS thread on the forum but it isn’t very active often.

Ljoyce- LOL, I’ve asked my Dr the same question – Nup, just age.

Thin – 5:2 National Conference aka national get together for a coffee or 2. I still haven’t given up that idea totally. We’d probably all talk for about 3 days I reckpn, interspersed (sp) with op- shopping and shopping for clothes, recipe swaps, food tastings, a soupy potluck, and possibly a winery visit so Joffy could wear his nifty suit again – oh and the catwalk, can’t forget the fashion parade!

Must go – see you later
    Merry

Hi Everyone. I had a chance to try the Marmite today. I like it, but I think I like the Vegemite better. They’re similar, but different flavors. It’s mostly spread on bread products, like the Vegemite, right?

Disappointing CalifD.

Haha Thin, Australians win!
    https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/ed/c3/e9/edc3e941da1f029b3047e63bb30905f5.jpg

(Not that I’d rub it in or anything!)

Thin, I don’t dislike it. I just like the Vegemite more. 🙂 I eat it on toast almost every day.

Hi SHs, hope you are enjoying your weekend.

I have just finished my second week of no “extas” M-F. I’m already feeling so comfortable with it, that I’m ready to open the weekend up to FDs – further limiting my opportunity to eat unhealthy food on weekends. So I plan to do a FD tomorrow – company for you Cinque.

Not that I have actually gone bezerk on weekends so far – a little more volume than I’m eating through the week but no junk or sugar so far. I am definitely finding it easier to resist those discretionary foods than I was a couple of weeks ago – I’m really pleased about that. I have a sense of control that had felt like it was slipping away from me.

I’m going to try making some teff flour into flat breads for dinner tonight – I thought they’d go with the spicy chickpeas I’m making. Last time I tried using teff to make flatbread I followed the traditional Ethiopian recipie and allowed the batter to ferment with airborne yeast for 3 days. The flatbreads were so sour I couldn’t eat them – but the underlying flavour of the teff was fine. So this time I’ll use an Indian recipie for roti and just substitute the atta flour for teff and see if it works.

Merry – like the idea of a 5:2 conference, but boy would it take some organizing given how far and wide we’re spread. Although… S.A. is roughly in the middle of the country and we do have some great wineries…

Thin – I have the same trouble keeping up at the moment – I go away to think about what I want to say on an issue, and by the time I get back to the forum everyone’s moved on by 3 more topics. I wish I was someone who could quickly dash off a detailed reply, but I can’t, I need to think about it, especially if it’s an issue I think is important.

GDSA – enjoy the new chooks. My favourite hen name was always Gertrude. Somehow those old fashioned Victorian names always seemed appropriate for hens – Henrietta, Mabel, Thelma, Doreen, Hyacinth, Gladys, Martha, Bertha, Wilhelmina, Arabella, Daphne, Esme, Myrtle, Prudence. Hope the trip to Jamestown goes well, I haven’t been there in years (one of my great grandfather’s farmed there in the 1800s and I still have distant relatives scattered about the area).

I gave into the discussion about gut books and bought an ebook copy of 10% Human. ($10 on Amazon.au) I’m only about 4 chapters in, but I’ve definitely learned things I didn’t know before. Apparently our appendix does actually have a purpose – it’s a safe haven for gut bacteria to hide when we have a serious gastric infection like cholera, so that they can recolonise the bowel later – who knew? I wonder if they can hide from antibiotics in there too? If I find more interesting tid-bits as I read I’ll report back.

I’m glad you’re enjoying ‘10% Human’ LJ. My neighbour loaned her copy to me, she’s a doctor who practices 5:2 with her GP husband and we both found it fascinating. A lot of it was over my head so it took me ages to read. When you get to the part about an individual’s ability to glean +/- calories from a specific food to the next person depending on their gut biome, let me know. A calorie is not a calorie, as CalifD mentioned a few posts back. It seems absolutely everything is linked to our gut bacteria!

Yes Merry, that SH conference! And your previous catwalk post was something else I’d intended to add to at the time – it feels rude not to answer people but, at the same time, ridiculous to try and answer everything. I’m reading it all though.

Oh I am the worst at remembering who said what, or even what’s being said. I get 1 message down and all the rest start blurring together, LOL, so now and again I ask that people overllook my lack/inability to remain on topic or knowing who said what. Some of that is bit of damaged memory caused by Hypothalic Dysfunction from my ME/CFS, and some of it is ditto to Thin’s comment about not being able to reply straightaway. But then, there is no requirement to answer anyway, so it’s lovely that we do.

Re the “National Conference” that’s not really a conference ( though that would be good too). About a year ago we discussed getting as many of us together as we could. Originally we thought a few of us could get to Melbourne this month. Melbourne because that’s where Cinque is and a few of us could possibly getvto Melbourne, but that idea obviously didn’t get carried on.

But some of us do manage to meet now and then. So far I’ve met Cinque (in Melbourne), Intesha – at my place, and her father was worried about her meeting an axe murderer off the internet! I’ve also met Joffy when he holidayed not far from me, and we’ll meet up again on his next holiday here. Intesha has driven past Joffy when he was working outside one day! Thin has met quite a few of ou West Australian 5:2ers. Minka has met Cinque and Minka and I have tried but failed to get together.

Maybe we should look at another possible group meet up sometime in the future.

Onwards and Downwards,
    Merry

Mgrogan,
    When started 5:2 and joined the forum 5:2 was an unknown quantity ME/CFS wise. After reading the book I hoped and prayed that 6:2 was the answer to my dilemma of wanting to lose weight with no exercise added. I would love to be very active, but that’s life. It has taken a bit longer than some other’s but I lost at a reasonable rateand here I am wearing size 10-12’s at 5’6″. I used scales to weigh daily and graph Zmonday’s weight each week, something I continue to do.

Someone commented about doing 5:2 with ME/CFS. It’s not harder, maybe a little bit slower but not lots. We’ve already been forced to look at our life minutely so adding this doesn’t seem much different. The relief at finding something that got the weight off easily is enormous and exciting , and has a couple of extra benefits other than weight. Our balance is affected and pre weight loss I always went downstairs slowly holding onto the rail because I felt like I could fall down the stairs. Now with my centre of balance normal, I can go downstairs easily.

Must go,
    Merry

Merry I think it’s great that 5:2 worked despite the ME. Even a slow pace gets you to goal in the end, it’s just a more sedate journey.

As I mentioned earlier, I experimented with teff flour in flatbreads this afternoon. I made the roti flatbreads to go with my dinner from brown teff seed flour. I ended up having to use 50% teff and 50% atta four as the lack of gluten in teff meant that it tore when I tried to roll it. I now understand why all traditional recipies for teff are batters that you pour rather than dough that you roll or shape. With the addition of the atta flour and a bit more finger pressing rather than rolling I managed to shape them into flatbreads and cooked them in a cast iron skillet. The flavour was lovely and the cooked texture of the flatbread was also good. Once cooked they handled like a normal roti.
    For anyone wanting to try them, I used: 1/2 cup brown teff flour, 1/2 cup atta (plain wholemeal) flour, 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 cup natural yoghurt, 1/4 cup water. Mix into a dough with a fork, adjusting the flour quantity if required. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate until needed (I left it there for the afternoon). Divide the dough into 4 pieces and roll into balls. Flatten on a floured bench (use atta flour not teff for rolling),and roll gently with a rolling pin until they are the about 15-18cm diameter. (You’ll need to be generous with flour under and on the dough when rolling.) I also sprinkled the top with sesame seeds when I was rolling. I cooked them in a cast iron skillet over a low flame. I used about 1/4 tsp butter to cook each one (ghee would have been better but I didn’t have any). They took approximately 90 seconds on each side. The finished flatbreads are dark brown because of the colour of the teff flour (about the same colour as a dark rye bread). The flavour is mild and very nice – more flavour and nuttier than a normal flour.

I’ll try adding teff to normal bread dough next time I make some.

I’m still reading the “10% Human” book. I’ve just gotten through the section on antibiotic use, with the author talking about the average British woman having about 70 courses of antibiotics by age 70. I decided to try and work out how many I’d likely had. I’m 55 and I’d conservatively estimate I’ve had about 230 courses of antibiotics (mainly in childhood and the last decade). And that’s not including those I’ve ingested by eating meat from animals that have been regularly fed antibiotics.
    My poor gut flora, no wonder they’re having a hard time. I’ve been waging war on them for decades. Hopefully the author will eventually tell me what I can do to help them survive.

Still reading the “10% Human” book and found a quote worth sharing:
    With each meal you make, spare a thought for your microbes. What would they like you to put in your mouth today?
    Looks like my meal planning is about to get more difficult. I’m going to have to ask my gut flora for a show of hands on what everyone wants for dinner tonight. I hope they get to consensus quickly.

Oh boy, I’ve just got to the startling fact in that “your gut are 100 trillion microbes. 100,000,000,000,000.” What’s for dinner is going to be a looooong debate!

Ha ha ha…Ljoyce😃

I’ve had a teff pancake thingy made by an Ethipian. It was yummy, soongy sort of. I bought some teff flour recently – will have a go this week some time.

You, Cinque snd Minka know so many ingredients and dushes I’ve never heard of! So what is atta flour when it’s at home?

I need sleep………zzzxz

dushes … sounds like I’m a Kiwi … dishes,

soogy= spongy
    Ethipian = Ethiopian

Hi All,

I’m still around! Laptop was out of service for a week and I’ve again been flat out busy, though am still fasting (today, in fact!). I needed a reset, that’s for sure! I’ve been enjoying reading posts, though am again a couple pages behind. Cheers to oldies and newbies!

Merry, atta is a plain stone-ground wholemeal flour made from hard durum wheat grain. It’s what Indian’s use for baking their various varieties of flatbreads. You can substitute with ordinary wholemeal but I can usually find “Jimmy’s” brand atta flour in my local supermarkets.

Minka, sorry to hear about the missing laptop. I remember feeling utterly lost the last time mine was out of action. You don’t realise just how much you use it until it’s gone – even temporarily.

I just ordered the “10% Human” book. I should have it Monday with my Prime account. I can’t believe the paperback was less expensive than the digital copy by a few cents. I do like to have a paper copy of books like this though. I was happy to see that there’s a free “start reading now” copy of a few chapters, so I can start reading. This looks like the type of book that I’ll really like, with all my fermenting of things like cabbage, beets, carrots, Kombucha and kefir. I truly believe in the power of probiotics.

I had C-Diff several years ago when I must have had the bacteria dormant in my gut, unbeknownst to me. After a dentist prescribed a strong antibiotic as a prophylactic for a root canal repair, that killed off most of my good gut bacteria, and the C-Diff took over. I was so sick I could barely get out of bed. I felt too sick to walk from the car into a doctor’s office and my regular doc was on vacation. My sister who lives with us was so exasperated at me for refusing to go that she told some of her co-workers that she wished I was a cat so she could just shove me into a carrier and take me there!

My husband took off of work and took me to a walk in clinic who assessed my symptoms, never asking about antibiotics, and I had no idea at the time they were connected. That doctor prescribed Cipro, which I found out later was the second worst thing I could have taken. Several days later I was even sicker and my stomach was starting to swell. I had diarrhea so bad and it looked like guacamole. I was in tears when I went to visit “Dr. Google” entering my symptoms. (The nurse practitioner at my doctor’s office thought it was Giardia even though I hadn’t been exposed to bad drinking water.) Google came up with the diagnosis right away. When I read about the antibiotics I knew right away that was it. I finally got my doctor’s office to prescribe one of 2 drugs that would get rid of it. Still, it took months to get back to normal. I took some probiotic capsules that finally helped. I knew nothing about fermenting foods at the time or that store bought yogurt had most of the good stuff killed off in order to package it.

Sorry for the long post, but it’s such a dramatic example of how important a healthy gut is and how all the good bacteria protects us in a very real way, especially if we’ve picked up some bad stuff in a hospital or somewhere else, unknowingly, because our good bacteria keeps it in check. I’m a firm believer in home fermented foods for good bacteria. And I’m one of those people who has a great deal of faith in Google for diagnostics. I truly believe it saved my life.

LJoyce, I’ve never heard of Teflon before. It sounds kind of like quinoa, such a small seed. I see that Bob’s Red Mill packages it. I’ll have to try your bread recipe when it cools down here enough to bake.

Yay its chook collection day.

Cinque thank you for the links very interesting reading.

Thinatlast Ive always had Isa Browns which are good layers so anticipate 5 to 6 eggs per week per chook on average. I have a couple of friends who take any excess eggs off my hands.

Ljoyce Im rather fond of names from yesteryear too. I did suggest to Miss D we name the chooks Fried, Poached, Scrambled, Omlette etc however she was not impressed. So we settled on naming 3 each – I have picked Margo, Edith and Agnes (named after Gru’s children from the Dispicable Me movies) and Miss D is yet to decide.

With all the talk of gut microbes I cant get the picture of the little creatures from the ‘Have you had your inner health plus today’ TV advert out of my head now. Little Minion type creatures running around inside me…..aahhhhh.

Merryme I’m with you I so easily lose track of who said what. I always post from my phone and the little screen can be frustrating at times but handy to post ‘on the run’.

What a shame we have to drive through the little country town today that has my favourite Op Shop….hahaha Miss D will role her eyes at me again for sure.

Waiting for sun up before we hit the road (just under 2 hour drive each way to collect chooks) as the kangaroos are out and about big time at the moment. There was even one bouncing through the CBD of a nearby regional town (13,000 people) yesterday. The local Plod put out a warning on social media about it. I just love living in the country 🐣🐓🐤🐔🐥

My last post – Teflon = teff. (Don’t you just love auto-finish?)

Ha autofinish!

Good morning everyone!

The ABC TV show “Ask the Doctor’ last Tuesday was about the gut. Very basic, but noted that there are more microbes in our gut than stars in the Milky Way. (I think it was on that show anyway!)
    Won’t you have fun trying to get consensus LJoyce!
    But I am glad all those antibiotics have kept you alive.

The teff flour sounds wonderful, and so do your flatbreads!
    Good on you for trying the fermented injera recipe too!

Hi Minka! Glad your laptop is working again! It seems like you must have been writing about midnight so not sure which day you fasted, today or yesterday, but cheers either way! (hopeless with time stamps)

Gday, what great names for the lovely chooks! Have a wonderful day collecting them! Safe drive! Hope the Op Shop is open! I hope the hens have a good trip too and settle happily in their new home.

Good Fasty McFast Day morning to Thin and all the Sunday fasters!
    Wouldn’t a National Conference be fun! If only we all had teleporters!

Merry you are so good at giving overviews. It is a lovely, unifying thing you do.

Cali what a horrible time you had with your gut health. So glad you were able to recover.

Best wishes to everyone

Good morning Sunday fasters. I’m about to head off to family brunch in a moment. Looks like I’ll be ordering a pot of tea as I’m determined to stick to a FD today.

GDSA – it was the inner health adds that represented microbes as little balls with arms and legs that had my imagination going last night as I was reading. If I understand the book correctly, we only have the microbes that are needed for the things we eat. The more variety we eat, the more variety in our microbes. So it sounds like every species wants different food – it wasn’t much of a step to imagine the argument over “what’s for dinner” that could ensue from that.
    Hope your drive is pleasant and free from kangaroo collisions.

CalfD – sorry to hear you had such issues. Hope you enjoy the book. Here the ebook was definitely cheaper than the print version. Although I only buy ebooks these days as the arthritis makes it hard for me to hold a print book long enough to read it.

Have a good Sunday.

A Skype conference call could be possible but scary! I enjoyed all the posts while having my first fasty coffee with A&C milk.

‘10% Human’ underscores how over-use of antibiotics is not only detrimental to the individual but to the population at large. If doctors don’t stop over-prescribing, we are in grave danger of them becoming ineffective where we really need them – putting at risk surgeries like amputations that we’ve come to view as routine. Patients also have an expectation of receiving a prescription even before it’s confirmed that their ailment is bacterial so GPs feel ‘pressured’ to prescribe.

An article in this month’s ‘Scientific American’ claims there is no health benefit in probiotics for the already healthy gut. Just like with vitamins which decades of research proved totally unnecessary for most adults and even dangerous for some being linked to various cancers, it hasn’t stopped marketers from pushing another nutritional craze. The human gut contains tens of trillions of bacteria vs. 100 million to a few hundred billion in a typical probiotic serve or pill so are unlikely to survive. This doesn’t mean there aren’t benefits for certain conditions such as IBS. The future of all this seems to suggest individual assessment of gut biome and custom-designed probiotics.

A second article in this same July edition explains how unrelated gut surgery can reverse diabetes. Fascinating! I don’t know if you can view Scientific American on-line but, if interested, the article is entitled, Operation: Diabetes. The previous one, ‘Probiotics Are No Panacea’.

Reading this article was a bit deflating as I like the idea of feeding my gut companions kefir & other fermented foods to keep them happy. According to ‘10% Human’, the best start you can have for your gut comes from a vaginal birth and drinking breast milk. Then a diet comprising a wide variety of foods with a lot of plant material keeps the little guys happy.

Time for the second A&C coffee. Sounds unhealthy. It’s chicken miso soup for me tonight Cinque.

P.S. Morning LJ, your post wasn’t there when I started mine. Be strong, you can do it!

Back from brunch – I did stick to a small pot of tea.

Enjoy the miso soup Thin. I have a rather special FD meal tonight – moussaka. I made a tray of “normal” moussaka a few weeks back and cut and froze it in serving sizes. With the ingredients I had left I made a single serve low cal version in a mini baking dish which was mainly veg with just a little of the meaty sauce and the barest smear of bechamel. My little baking dish has been removed from the freezer and is defrosting ready for baking tonight. It will make a nice change from my usual trio of choices – soup or stirfry veg or eggwhite veg omelette.

I’ve got the fire going but I still feel frozen. Time for another pot of tea I think.

Wow, well done with the brunch LJ! And that will be a hearty, warming FD dinner. Reminds me of my Hairy Bikers’ Healthy Cottage Pie to be eaten with a teaspoon and very slowly, savouring every delicious bite!

It’s a mild, partly sunny day here today. Four dolphins spotted on my walk! Hurray for FDs.

Hello Minka. Please come back. Did you know that CalifD is from your neck of the woods?

CalifD, that’s a scary story about the dentist’s prescription. C. diff. was discussed in the book but I can’t remember it all now – I believe it was found to be elevated in patients with autism. Don’t quote me on that.

Yes, tea for me too. Madame Flavour’s choc & orange ceylon. Feels a bit naughty on a FD.

Thinatlast, I had never heard of C Diff (Clostridium difficile) until Dr. Google. http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/c-difficile/symptoms-causes/dxc-20202389 It was about 10 years ago that I had it. When people in hospitals get sick from “something they picked upnat the hospital” that’s often what it is. You can apparently pick it up just by touching something an infected person has touched. Alcohol doesn’t kill it. Bleach does. I have no idea when or where I first picked it up or how long it was dormant in my system.

Here’s that article that you mentioned from Scientific American. https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/do-probiotics-really-work/ Not sure if I agree with it or not. What does 10% Human say? I do agree that most people don’t need to take a multiple vitamin. I only take vitamin D and magnesium, vitamin D because I once tested very low in it, and magnesium because I can tell a difference when I take it. With probiotics, how many “people of a certain age” don’t have problems with one thing or another related to their gut?

Thanks for posting the link – I tried to find it but it required our membership number to view. I too take vit. D, very reluctantly and I absolutely hate the idea of being on something ‘for life’ but I had a squamous cell skin cancer and was instructed to stay out of the sun. This is the result. You can’t win!

I’ll continue taking my home-cultivated kefir despite having no health issues. I think it was you who mentioned about the commercial probiotics having had most of the useful bacteria killed off in the pasteurisation process (something else I’d meant to agree with but the thread got away from me). I’m so sceptical of food manufacturers. They’re trying to sell me stuff I don’t need and my job is to resist. I think they’re now trying to capitalise on the public’s growing infatuation of gut microbiota.

Have you read much about faecal transfer? Staggering and literally instant results have been reported.

Thank you Merry, Cinque, Minka, mgrogan for reminding me not to take good health for granted. I appreciate all you’ve achieved given that your lot is so much harder. Now that Dr M. has given me back my best chance at maintaining my health through 5:2, I endeavour to nurture it. One reason I’m happy to wholeheartedly embrace a fast day.

Thinatlast, I have read a lot about faecal transfers. No matter how much I read, it still sounds gross to me! Yukk!

He he. So what are you up to today? Is it still very hot there?

Fast day going well, although I am feeling quite crook and can’t get warm. No wonder though, it is cold in Melbourne.

But thought I would pop in and add my two cents worth to the probiotic discussion. I have read so much on it that I can’t give sources, but my understanding is that our microbiome is like a garden. Picture a jungle because it is so thick and complicated.
    Having probiotics is like throwing seed into that jungle. There just mightn’t be space for it to grow.

But given that it is quite dynamic (the gut flora can change dramatically with a change in diet), while it may not be worth spending hundreds of dollars on probiotics that may never be able to take hold, it is worth having a vegetable rich and varied diet that includes fermented things.

Btw if they found a fecal transplant would cure CFS I’d have one straightaway!

Anyway, two hours until miso soup!

Cheers!

Yes, it got up to about 37 here today. Right now it’s around 25. We’re waiting for it to go down a little more so we can open the windows, turn off the air conditioning, and turn on the attic fan. It sucks the cooler air in through the windows and blows it into the attic and ultimately, outside. We keep the thermostat for the air conditioner at about 28. Any cooler than that makes it stay on almost continuously and the electric bill gets very expensive.

There are already a lot of wild fires in California because of the heat and sometimes wind. Around us, there are lots of huge Oak trees, so fires make us nervous. I guess you have problems with fires there in the summers too.

Cinque, I wouldn’t spend much money on probiotic pills anymore. I’ve read that the amount of probiotics in on bowl of home fermented sauerkraut is more than a whole bottle of shelf stable probiotic capsules. http://www.nourishingplot.com/2014/06/21/sauerkraut-test-divulges-shocking-probiotic-count/
    The only cost is the heads of cabbage and salt.

Maybe if I had CFS or some other condition that made me feel awful I would consider a poop transplant. Ewwwww! I would have to be put out when they did it!

Yes, we do have devastating bush fires downunder. Strangely though, we had an almost non-existent bush fire season here in the SW of the country this past summer. We have an odd relationship with bush fires because my OH is a pilot and sometimes derives his income from fighting fires. Not this year though.

Cinque, you put that so well! I can’t believe how well you wrote that. Well, actually I shouldn’t be surprised. Has your sister loaned you her copy of ‘10% Human’ yet? I can’t wait to hear what you think of it.

Thanks for that sauerkraut article link CalifD which leads to a recipe link. I may give that a go!

I hope you get warmed up Cinque. I hope you get cooled down CalifD.

Can’t imagine it being 37C at the moment. I was so cold this afternoon that I ran a hot bath and soaked until I cured that bone deep chill. I’m now rugged up in many layer and wrapped in 2 blankets with the fire going and I’m ok.
    Not that I’m wishing bush fire season to get her any time soon – it’s always a stressful time of year.

I’m still part way through the 10% human book, but the conclusion that I’ve reached so far on probiotics is that dietary change is the best option. According to the author, gut flora only exist in guts that require them. So I figure if I eat a diverse range of plant life along with some diary and other animal proteins and fats then I’m encouraging my gut flora to be diverse and providing the food for that diversity to survive. The only missing piece for me is the damage done by antibiotics, that will continue as I will need to take them for lung infections intermittently. Which leaves me with the dilemma of fermented foods. I hate sauerkraut, so I haven’t tried kimchi. What I haven’t tried is kafir, this I’m assuming is fermented milk. I really like plain natural yoghurt so fermented milk might be ok. Does anyone know whether it will do the same job in a diet that something like kimchi does? Where do I get the grains used to start the fermenting process – I’m hoping a good health food store might have them.

My moussaka is in the airfryer to bake. It was still half frozen so it’s going to take a while, but the aroma is already enticing.

I just decide to look at the online site for my nearest organic & health food shop.
    They don’t have kefir grains but they do have the powder sachets. They also have lots of ready fermented products including yoghurt, juice, coconut water & milk (cow, goat, camel, coconut) and something called kombucha which looks like a ginger flavoured drink. They are expensive, but a useful way to see what I like before buying the means to make it myself – which is sensible. Compared to the cost of probiotic capsules I think this is a very viable alternative.

The nearest town to me is small, but it has a Polish food shop. I found it yesterday. Kefir at £1.70 a litre and what looked like every kind of fermented food known to man. I am in the northern hemisphere, but there must be Polish communities in the southern.

Kombucha is fermented tea, I’ve never tried it. I think Minka makes it but I may have made that up. I quite like kimchi but not enough to include it often. If you can find someone who can pass some kefir grains onto you, you’re laughing. They could potentially be 1000 years old! How cool is that? Tradition dictates that they can only be given away, never sold. Those I got from PerthGirl have already doubled in volume and I’d happily share them with you if you were closer. I’m sure if you put some feelers out, someone will know someone who has some to spare. The powdered form is not the same thing. I agree that buying store bought kefir is a good way of first finding out whether you like it, but it’s likely it will have been ‘messed with’ to agree with the mass-consumer palate. My own tastes slightly sour, I make it with FF milk and only take a very small glassful 5 days a week. Someone bought me some store-bought kefir the other day and it tasted quite different.

Viewing 50 posts - 11,801 through 11,850 (of 28,011 total)

You must be logged in to reply.