Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,925 replies, has 832 voices, and was last updated by  Neilithicman 2 days, 8 hours ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 11,701 through 11,750 (of 28,029 total)

• Morning all SHs

Still wet, cold and windy here, so I’m rugged up by the slow combustion.

GDSA – enjoy the coat – I totally agree that you deserve a treat. I’m always worried about buying clothes for myself online in case they don’t fit and I then have to bear 2 lots of postage costs when returning them. Unfortunately many things aren’t cut for my shape or short height.
    I also mainly use the Paris Creek bio-dynamic diary products. I buy both their full cream and skim milk and mix them together to get the 2% fat I like. I also use their butter, quark and greek yoghurt (because they don’t use thickners, I find their other yoghurts very runny unless I take the time to strain them, which I usually can’t be bothered doing. I find the runny consistency only works on cereal but not so well for dips or with curry etc.) Their dairy is near Meadows, about 4 towns away from me. A decade ago I could only buy their products from the local health food shops, but now even the large chain supermarkets in the Adelaide hills stock them which is really good to see. I can also buy diary products from dairies in the Fleurieu Peninsula, Barossa Valley and Murray Bridge in my local stores. It really pleases me to see local stores supporting producers in the local and neighbouring regions.

Cinque, I hope less bread works too. Although I will still eat it almost every day I want it to be a reasonable amount not the 4-5 slices I was having some days when I couldn’t be bothered cooking or reheating the meal I actually had planned. The trouble with eating that much is that there is no room left in my diet for other grains to have with curries and stews and I think a little bit of various grains is better for me than a lot of a few – same principle as with other foods too really – I don’t think a lot of one thing is ever a good idea I think our gut likes variety.

Merry, unfortunately dementia and falls seem to go together – it was the main reason for my father’s many trips to emergency too. The trouble is their thoughts are all based decades ago when they were young and able. I even had a 24 hour number for a plastic surgeon that I used several times when dad needed skin grafts after falls – thankfully he had a DVA gold card, so I was able to choose the doctors rather than leaving him to the mercies of the public system. (Things never went well for him on the occasions that happened.)

Hope you all enjoy your weekend.
    I can smell my roast lamb and veg cooking – making me hungry for my lunch.

Thinatlast, is this the thread you meant?

Hi CalfDreamer, welcome to the Southern Hempspheres, you are in the right place.

I was asking on the other thread about Cockatoos because I had a Moluccan Cockatoo for 18-1/2 years that died of cancer 9 years ago. He was never caged but had his own room with another bird. He was the most lovable bird, at least to me.

I can’t imagine being able to look out the door and see Cockatoos in the garden. That would be heaven.

he he LJ, I got you going on that other thread! 😆 I’ve just invited CalifD over here for a chat as he/she was mindful of not clogging the more serious threads with my nonsense. I did read everything on the previous page but can’t remember much as usual. I do remember Cinque asking about my miso soup, thank you, it was very good, came in at 195 cals and seemed to last forever. I didn’t have any chicken so was worried I might feel hungry later without the protein but all was well. Speaking of chicken, my neighbour’s lad has just popped round with some freshly laid eggs; I’m excited about that. Frittata for dinner!

Welcome Calif, you’re in the right place. We moved here from California. One of the things we love best about Australia is its wild birds. The first time we saw the brightly coloured parrots, we were camped in the Northern Territory and flocks of them came screeching in to drink in the billabong. We had never seen anything like it and thought they must have escaped from some aviary! We settled in Perth and parrots are a regular feature in our garden. Sorry for your loss – I understand that they’re more of an heirloom than a pet.

Hi CalifDreamer, I had just posted the following on the other forum before we moved across to this one, so you might have missed it:

I live in the Adelaide Hills – about 20 kilometers from the centre of Adelaide. There’s lots of wildlife here as most of the housing blocks are between 1/2 and 2 acres and there are really strict rules around subdivision in my town – you can’t subdivide to less than 1 acre. There are also bans on cutting down any significant trees. It means we all get have enough land to keep plenty of trees and gardens to attract birds and other wildlife – and the burden of a large garden to maintain.

I get both the sulphur crested (white with a yellow head crest) and black cockatoos here in summer – they strip my walnut tree of every single nut while they are still green. Once they’ve finished they move on. At the same time I have rosellas and parrots stripping my apple trees of their fruit. They don’t get my plums or apricots because I net those trees to protect the fruit.

I also have breeding koalas in the trees near my house, and many many possums – that also like my apples (where the parrots eat them during the day, the possums come out at night to snack on them).

While I would like to have a cat, I refuse to own one while I live there, there are just too many native birds at risk.

I hope you like the vegemite – remember to start light. Hot buttered toast with 1/4 teaspoon is probably a good starting point. I’ve never eaten miso paste by itself, but I do make soup from it – it probably is a similar level of saltiness, but doesn’t have the complexity of flavours that I find in miso.
    As for other uses, for me they are all pretty similar – buttered toast, fresh bread, crumpets, english muffins, sandwiches, crackers, rice cakes… Basically any bread or bread substitute. If I eat it in a sandwich with cheese I can forgo the butter, but without the cheese I find I need to butter the grainy base first.

LJ, I just looked up Adelaide Hills on the map. It looks like a lot of open land nearby so I can imagine all the wildlife you must get on your property. It sounds beautiful. It also must get very noisy with a lot of Cockatoos. I used to have screaming contests with our bird. He could scream much louder than I could! And he had several different sounds, one kind of a honking sound. Thankfully it was mainly only around sundown that he would like to yell.

Calif – just looked up Moluccan Cockatoo on wikipedia. It says they are salmon crested cockatoos native to Indonesia. The sulphur crested ones that come to my garden look almost the same – just yellow where yours was salmon.

My grandmother had a pet grey cockatiel (much smaller than the crested varieties) that she taught to speak. It was a very intelligent and affectionate bird. When my grandmother died we took “Joey” and he had a large avery in our backyard (that he shared with some budgies, until his own death about 30 years later.

Yes it does get noisy when they are eating my walnuts – definitely a screeching contest.

I forgot to mention that I also have kookaburras and magpies in my yard all year round. I especially like my magpies. As far as wild birds go they are relatively tame – unafraid of people and keep me company when I’m gardening. They are full of personality and often have me giggling with their antics. They sing beautifully, especially in the mornings – in fact their morning song is one of the key sounds I associate with the Adelaide Hills.

LJ, our Cockatoo was very affectionate and bonded to me. He loved walnuts but if I handed him one he would flop his head forward to have his head scratched before he would take it from me. He would have been happy to cuddle all day. After he died, for at least a year, if anyone even said the word “Cockatoo ” around me I would start crying. He was so sweet and so smart.

Australia is definitely on my list of places I want to visit. I would probably not want to leave I wish it was closer!

I’ve just read up about the Moluccan (or Salmon-Crested) cockatoo. Sounds like a handful! It reminds me of the Major Mitchell that we have. We too have kookaburras LJ. The bird life is absolutely one of the very best things about Australia!

LJ, the Magpies are pretty. I just looked up a picture. Some have blue and black markings and some just black. I’ll have to look later to see if I can find a recording of their voices.

Cockatoos love to chew wood. I used thick closet poles for perches in the bird room at first, but he could chew through one in about half an hour when he wanted to. I switched to Mazanita which is a very hard wood. Do they ever damage the eves on your house?

CalifD, I’ve never had them attacking the eves of the house which are made from jarrah, a very hard wood, but they can certainly destroy a parkland or streetscape in minutes!

CalifDreamer, They are lovely pets but definitely a long term commitment. My grandmother’s cockatiel had lived with her for at least 30 years before he came to us. I think he was somewhere between 60-70 years old when he died. It was just lucky that we were in a position to take him. My mother didn’t want him left with my grandfather as she didn’t trust him to care for Joey properly. My dad had already built the aviary and we had 2 pairs of budgies in there, so it was a good place for him, with more room to move than he had before. I’m sure he missed my grandmother though, as she spent a lot of time each day with him. Whenever we walked by the aviary he’d whistle and say “Joey’s a pretty boy”. I think that was his way of saying, please come and talk to me.

Hope you get to Australia one day.

Thinatlast, the Moluccans are pretty much all white except for the orange feathers under their crown. But unless they are excited or screaming, those feathers are not seen. I can’t even imagine a whole bunch of them screaming at once. The Major Mitchells look more colorful. I just listened to a kookaburra’s call on a website. That would make me laugh every time I heard one. You are so lucky to live in a place where all those birds are native. What an amazing place!

Do the Koalas mostly stay hidden in the trees? Are they at all tame? They’re so cute!

The koalas in my area are not tame. They spend most of their time high in the eucalyptus trees sleeping. They prefer not to come to the ground as they are in danger from dogs and other predators. But I do occasionally see them walking across my garden to get from one tree to another. It’s a true delight when it’s a mother koala with a baby clinging tightly to her back.

LJ, they are a very long term commitment and a huge responsibility. It’s difficult to go on holidays unless you have someone responsible enough to care for them while you’re gone. And they are very tied to one or two people. When they get sick, vet bills are expensive. Fortunately Gilligan was never ill until he got the cancer in his wing. We thought at first that he had fallen and broken a bone in it. I took him to the university that had animal care and had CT scans and later surgery. But it just bought him a few months.

Sadly, no koalas over here in Western Australia. The wildlife is definitely one of the very best things about Australia. CalifD, my husband is from California. He’s a pilot. He says that aviation, like the wildlife, has evolved differently down here!

Thinatlast, what part of Calif?

We met and lived in San Diego before emigrating to Oz 25 years ago. Did you take Gilligan to UC Davis?

Yes, UC Davis had all the scanning equipment and the vet school is there.

Are you originally from San Diego? Or just your husband?

We’re a multi-cultural family, I’m from the UK, our daughter was born here in Oz. She’s a 4th year vet student here in Perth and would have loved to have gone to uni in California but it was cost-prohibitive for us.

Calif – I’ve found a reasonable recording of magpie song, although there is a bit of other bird noise in the background.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYEYc8Ge3nw

One of the things I most enjoy watching is the new magpie chicks (unlike the adults who are black and white, the chicks have blue-grey feathers that are a bit fluffy, even when they are almost as big as their parents).
    Magpies mate for life and usually raise one chick per year. They take their parenting duties seriously. Once the chick is old enough to fly out of the nest they teach it the skills to survive. One parent will keep watch for danger while the other parent teaches the chick to forage for worms and bugs. I watched family of magpies doing this in my backyard one day when a rat came across the lawn to have a nibble on one of the apples lying on the ground. The magpie that was keeping guard saw the rat, put it’s head down and charged. The rat leapt into the air and then ran for its life with an enraged parent magpie in hot pursuit. It was hilarious.

Lovely chatting, I have to go and make the frittata mentioned above as the OFMs will soon be home. Please come and visit us again CalifD – maybe next time we can discuss 5:2! FD for me tomorrow, hoping I won’t be all alone.

Thinatlast, you certainly are a multicultural family! But it sounds like you ended up in a wonderful place. Moving from one country to another can’t be easy. (Although a lot of friends thought about it after the last election!)

LJ, that magpie certainly has a unique sound. They sound like delightful birds, the way they mate for life and train their young as a family. The rat attack must have been hilarious. That rat must have had a previous run in with a magpie to be so afraid of one!

It’s almost 2:30 in the morning here and I could talk to you both for hours more, but I would never get up in the morning. Thank you for hanging around and talking with me. It is so interesting to hear about Australia and I hope we can continue this again soon.

Thin, my next FD is Monday. Hopefully someone else will join you tomorrow.

I’d better go and heat up some soup for dinner too. In case you hadn’t realised CalfDreamer, it’s early evening here. It’s probably the middle of the night in California.

Good morning, cold and cloudy here, but the moon was beautiful last night, and there are bit of blue sky this morning.

Lovely to read the parrot talk. Hello here Cali!

The magpie’s carol is my favourite bird song!

Sorry not to be fasting with you today Thin, but sending good wishes for an excellent fast day!

I’m off to have a good non fast day!

Morning SHs,

If anyone’s wondering what on earth all the blurb about Australian birds is all about. Thin, Cinque, CalifD and I were having a discussion about the merits of vegemite on the scientific articles forum. Once CalifD realised we all lived in Oz he/she started asking about our native birds. Rather than hijack the other forum completely, we moved it to here.

I woke up thinking of vegemite toast! I resisted having some for breakfast – although I’ll have it as an occasional afternoon snack (usually on rice thins) I find it’s not the best way to start my day.

Yesterday’s NFD went well. I had been a little worried that my strict M-F approach to food choices would mean a free-for-all once Saturday rolled around. But that didn’t happen. I had sprouted grain toast with 2 boiled eggs for brunch, roast lamb & veg for a late lunch, banana with almond paste late afternoon and pumpkin soup and raspberries with yoghurt for dinner. I’m pretty pleased with that, as it’s all foods I could have chosen M-F. I think having both brunch and my main meal at lunch time helped as I felt quite full all afternoon and ended up eating dinner much later than normal. Today’s food will be similar, but I plan to have the boiled eggs and toast with soup for dinner as I didn’t feel like them this morning. I plan to stick to this approach, being very careful of my food choices M-F and still doing 2 FDs where the best fit. Hopefully this approach will continue to help me make better choices on my NFDs.

Have a good FD Thin, and anyone else who is joining her. Enjoy your NFDs everyone else.

It’s good that you’re happy with your food choices this weekend LJ. I can’t stop thinking how wonderful it would be to watch koalas walking across your property! I believe we do have one animal in WA that can’t be seen elsewhere, that being the quokka. I hope CalifD comes back for another chat.

I’ve had a good morning cooking up 12 portions of root and barley soup for winter FDs and doing some gardening. I’ve only just noticed it’s after 2.30pm and I missed my first FD feeding. I have a feeling I’m back to being all alone on Sunday fasts again. I miss you Cinque but hope your cooking’s going well. Of course it is.

Hi Thin, just to let you know I am on an FD . I do most Sunday’s if just around the house. I actually saw 66.9 after my Thursday FD.

Pretty busy at the moment off to Melbourne Tuesday, can’t wait to have some time to myself.

It was great to read your post Intesha; just knowing someone else is out there fasting is a psychological boost. You seem to be doing very well with your weight – is that a PB? For how long will you be away? Have a marvellous trip, you deserve some YOU time. Did you work out a way to go with your friend on the o/seas trip too?

Who else is lurking today? Minka, are you out there? Did you read the chit chat with your fellow countryman, CalifD?

Hi Alimax & everyone

I’m in Broome so nice to hear from so many people close to me. I’m just joining the forums I’d read Michael’s other book where they did an 8 week “fast” with very low calorie and was interested so started but of course with life that sort of low calorie every day is unsustainable so I’m trying my version of the 5:2 but doing more days fasting for 3 weeks so far I’ve averaged 4 days a week on very low calorie and have lost 3kgs. I’m going to do one more week then go to the 5:2. I find it really easy to do but I do things a little differently I have porridge and berries then a very lo cal soup (under 60 cals) then meat and vegs an no carbs that seems to come in about right without getting too stressed. As I love chocolate I sprinkle cocoa on my porridge to keep me sane, it’s very bitter but gives me my sugar fix! Please don’t mention dumplings my mouth waters!

Hello Chrispat and welcome to our forum. An especially big welcome as you’re in WA and I could do with some more west coast fasters here. We have Lady Salsa who’s an occasional poster and PerthGirl who’s currently cycling overseas. Alimax has long departed but we’re grateful for the legacy of the thread as we can chat with people in our our time zone.

Most of us here tend to agree that Dr M.’s 8 week offering would be harder to adhere to. But what you’re doing seems a punishing schedule to me too (even if you do find it easy, I find it tiring just reading about it!) so I’m relieved to read that you’re going to switch to 5:2 in another week. On the other hand, doing ADF as you are, means that there’s a 50/50 chance that you’re also fasting today – are you?

Hi everyone. I have enjoyed reading these posts and thought I would finally register and say hello! I live in Sydney and have been on 5:2 since mid-May of this year. After two weeks I managed to convince my husband to join me and it has been the best thing for both of us in a long time. We are both very obese and we are thrilled to see tangible results so quickly in our clothes. We are bigger than the conventional scales and electronic ones have broken on us in the past so I am thinking of purchasing a new set to see our progress. I took my measurements and am using that as a guide for now. We both choose our fast days together, usually Mondays and Thursdays. We know we have probably a good two or three years ahead to reach what has seemed -in the past- unrealistic goals but now we know we can do it together and it is achievable with perseverance and commitment.

Welcome JoyAnne and husband to our thread and to your new lives. I’ve been practicing 5:2 for 35 months and only wish it had been available to me a few decades ago. But, we’re here now and that’s all that matters. Good luck to you both and feel free to ask us anything.

Another FD draws to a close and I’m off to bed just slightly hungry, not enough to keep me awake but enough to remind me that good things are happening. That sort of satisfied feeling you get when you know you’ve successfully completed another FD.

Good morning, another week rolls around.

Welcome Chrispat and JoyAnne. You’ve certainly come to the right place for advice and inspiration. Some of us oldies have been doing this for awhile and it just becomes second nature. Most of us fall of the horse every now and then (except Thin, ha ha) but the trick is to never give up and just get back on the horse as our Merry always says.

I am now into week 127. Weight this morning 66.9. Haven’t moved much in the past few months but that’s okay. A loss of 20kg is motivation enough to just stay with this WOL.

Thin PB has been around 65, even saw 64 very briefly. No further plans on the overseas trip but it still lingers in the back of my mind. Looking forward to my few days in Melbourne this week.

Hi to all our other forum buddies, hope you have a good week.

Good morning! Thank you for your words of welcome and encouragement! Thinatlast and Intesha you have been doing this a long time! Have you both reached your goal weight or are you still getting there? About 15 years ago I lost a lot of weight doing Atkins. I hadn’t reached my goal and then I met my husband and started enjoying his mum’s baking! My hubby was very big and he then lost a lot too as I introduced him to Atkins. After we had our first child was when we let it all slide, relishing that quiet time in the evening after they are in bed and just bingeing on chips and chocolate almost every night! I love baking and I love how we can still have some home baked goodies on our non FD but I feel like I am able to listen to my body more and stop at two biscuits, not 12!!!! Its like I am re-learning hot to eat and manage food. I have a ton of cookbooks and I am enjoying looking at them with new eyes, searching for the low calorie dishes for fast days (as compared with the low carb recipes Atkins requires). We did well on the Atkins but every now and then I just wanted a piece of garlic bread or some pasta carbonara that was real pasta, not a low carb substitute, and this is why I think I can adopt this for life, just as you all have done before me.

Happy chilly morning all, minus 1 here at the moment. Welcome to the all the new posters its great to see you joining our forum – I’m sure you will enjoy the to and fro banter.

Merry Im loving your idea of a virtual catwalk – count me in haha !!

CailfDreamer I live at the base of the Flinders Ranges in South Australia. I’m surrounded by huge gumtrees and therefore inundated with Sulfur Crested cockies and Major Mitchells. The screeching noise when they are in flock is excruciating and delightful at the same time. I actually spent yesterday afternoon raking up gum leaves in the block behind the sheds from the mess they make munching on and dropping leaves.

Also have some beautifully coloured parrots and magpies here too and the occasional owl. The maggies take great delight in swooping down on our poor pooch. They often perch on the front verandah railing and sing to us!! The gumtrees in the block have many nests and Im always on the front verandah with the binoculars sneaking a look at the babies being feed. Its pure delight watching these fascinating creatures at work especially when they are building a nest.

Time to brave it and hang out a load of washing…..Brrrr. Have a great day everyone.

LJoyce I’m envious of your choice of supplies. Unfortunately the choice at the supermarket in the regional town about 10kms from me is extremely limited. However I’m grateful for the 3 Paris Creek products they do stock! There is a Foodland in the town that promotes SA fresh produce (very limited range though) and SA goods such as Beerenberg and Spring Gully but nothing in the dairy range unfortunately.

Good morning everyone!
    Welcome Chrispat and JoyAnne!

Chrispat, I have begun making myself a hot chocolate with no sugar at all (I do make it all milk though) and now I love it so much I wouldn’t add sugar from choice.
    Cheers for giving yourself a head start with fasting. Hopefully you will enjoy settling into 5:2 and making it longterm sustainable in your life!

JoyAnne what a particularly lovely name! *
    Congrats to you and your husband! I love how a fast day gives me that break and reset ready to eat well until the next fast day! I am just coming up to the two year anniversary of my first 5:2 fast day! It was 14th July 2015.

* My real name is Joy!

I hope the Sunday fasters are waking up feeling great today!
    We cancelled the cooking yesterday. It was one of THOSE days at my daughters house. So I just had a quiet day. Last of the antibiotics today hooray! I will fast on Wednesday I think and enjoy my traditional fast day structure!

Intesha enjoy every minute of that well deserved freedom!

Cheers LJoyce and Gday with your lovely SA dairy foods!

Hello everyone else!

The 2 jars of Vegemite arrived from Amazon today I love the stuff! I took all of your advice a did a very thin spread over butter on sourdough bread. Salty, savory and unique. It reminds me a bit of Miso which I usually buy in a small tub and keep in the frig. But the flavor is a bit different. It is definitely going to be a part of my regular diet.

I hope it’s ok if I continue to post in this thread. The Vegemite should be my ticket in, right? And living with a Cockatoo for 18-1/2 years?

@thinatlast, it turns out that I’m joining you in a FD today. Except that it isn’t Sunday anymore in Aus like it is here. I ended up getting my hair cut and highlighted at 11:00 am today because my hairdresser who has her salon in her home wasn’t busy today. That took a few hours and I hadn’t eaten earlier so – an accidental fast day! I went out to a later lunch/early dinner with my husband and sister and managed to find a 320 cal Ahi salad so I’m up to 480 calories for the day and hoping to not eat any more. Vegemite is on myfitnesspal at 11 calories for a teaspoon. 🙂

@cinque, almost 2 years on 5:2! That goes to prove that it is sustainable. And you seem to be content with it and well adjusted. And thin!

@gdayfromsa, It’s hard to imagine the noise from a flock of Cockatoos. Gillian used to love to scream around sundown or sometimes when he was mad about something. We used to say, “When Gilligan ain’t happy, ain’t nobody happy!” We have 2 Macaws now, one of them that we had when Gilligan was alive. Gilligan didn’t talk, but I’m sure he could have if he wanted to. He understood a lot of language. Amelie talks some and after Gilligan died she would call out, “Gilly!” It broke my heart. We got the second (female also) Macaw to keep her company. I found out after we had both birds that the dust from Cockatoos feathers isn’t good for Macaws to breathe. And she used to preen his feathers all the time. Cockatoos are still my favorites though. They are so loving. Macaws are more like a rough and tumble puppy. They generally don’t like to be hugged like a tame Cockatoo.

I wish I could trade weather with all of you, even if it’s damp and cold. We’re still in the middle of a heatwave in northern CA. It’s 38 C here right now and although it should cool down a lot after dark, that won’t happen for a while. Thank God for air conditioning!

Thanks yes I’m fasting today. I went out and had a gorgeous dinner at the Surf Club for the 30th Anniversary and a few glasses of champers choc brownie for desert on Sat so more than happy to alternate that for fast days. I work in education so on school hols, will catch up with friends for coffee and have cake – great! I can cope for the short term as I don’t really have that much to lose, but when you generally eat healthily those last few kgs are very hard to lose so this way I can cope.

Broome’s beautiful at the moment although we are wearing ugg boots in the morning. I only get really tempted to eat more if I stay up late at night watching a movie or something – last night was Tour de France and was so upset with Richie Porte crashing!

CalifDreamer you’re definitely an Aussie if you’re eating vegemite!

Hi SHs,

It’s lovely to see some new people joining our forum. Welcome Chrispat and JoyAnne.
    CalfDreamer – I have no probs with you being on our forum – I tend to be a bit of a night owl so my posts are often made after the rest of the SHs have all toddled off to bed and I have no-one left to chat to – which is when I wander onto the other forums. I have noticed that while the Brits and Aussies have a vibrant forum, no other countries seem to have this, so you don’t really have an active American forum to join.
    Glad you liked the vegemite (especially as you bought 2 jars), although I think your fitness pal is overestimating the calories in a teaspoon – on my jar it says 40kj for 5grams – that’s 9.5 calories.
    I think by the time we get to our summer we’ll be wanting to swap with you. The heat can be really oppressive here.

Chrispat, I’m wearing my ugg boots all day at the moment as I’m in the Adelaide Hills and it is pretty cold. I’m not sure I could cope with the humidity of Broome – is it also humid in the dry season?
    Well done on managing to do 4 FD per week. I tried to do AD or 4:3 when I first started intermittent fasting in January, but I found that the more FDs I did, the more I overate on my NFDs. In the end I realised I do better if I have at least a couple of NFDs between FDs. I’m in maintenance mode now but still doing 5:2 as I like my food a little too much and my TDEE is to low to cope with it.

JoyAnne, glad to hear you and your husband are doing well on 5:2. You are definitely not alone in being someone who has had to learn to eat 2 rather than 12 biscuits – I seem to keep needing to relearn lessons like this.
    We seem to be on a theme here – I am also a “Joy”, although unlike Cinque it’s my middle name.

I’m on a FD today. I ate well, but not to excess on the weekend (which I’m very happy about), so I’m in the perfect frame of mind for a FD. I’m definitely going to repeat last week’s approach of sticking to healthy food choices every day M-F without any of the discretionary extras. I’m doing another Joffy dinner – minestrone with extra beans.

Have a good day everyone (or a good evening in CalifD’s case).

Is there any way to adjust the time stamp on our posts to local time? We still have about 40 minutes left of July 9, Sunday, here. I don’t see a way to change it. I guess we’re all on Greenwich time.

@ljoyce, I’m a night owl too. I rarely get to sleep before 11:30 PM,

Hi CalfD I am pretty sure the time stamp is set to Greenwich Mean Time and I haven’t found anyway to adjust it. The site was established in the UK, so it makes sense that it’s set for their time zone.
    In Oz we figured out that we need to mentally add approx 8-10 hours (depending on which state we’re in) to figure out when posts were made.
    As for adjusting to U.S. times, I’m used to taking about 13 hours off my time here for New York (I have an old university friend who lives in Astoria, Queens). I think adjusting to California time is probably -16 hours from my time in South Australia.

CalifD, glad you’ve come over to join us though, really, you need not have declared a liking for vegemite to do so. Honestly, the things people will say just to get a foot in our door. he he he. 😆 No, you can’t change the time stamp. What I find annoying about it is not knowing how long ago the last post was written because, here in Western Australia, we don’t have daylight savings & I can never remember whether it’s 7 or 8 hours. Don’t even ask about that one but it’s something to do with fading the cows and confusing the curtains.

LJ, I’d often wondered about your handle. Now I only need wonder about the L, C & E. Hello the other Joy whose name I did know. Sorry about the cooking but yay for the end of anti-biotics.

JoyAnne, to answer your question, I reached my goal weight almost two years ago and have stayed around 60kgs since then. It took me about a year of 5:2 to lose the weight, I’d been 83kgs. I’m not quite out of the woods yet because I have lost large amounts of weight before and then after two years gained it back (and more). I hope to continue this for the rest of the my life but, as 5:2 is relatively new in the scheme of things, we don’t have enough subjects to know whether it’s sustainable in the long-term.

You said you know that it will take you and OH 2-3 years to achieve your weight goals and I applaud your long-term commitment. Set small goals and we’ll all be here to help you celebrate those successes. And, although they can be, they don’t have to be celebrated with food or alcohol. With all the money you’re saving on food, the rewards can be a massage, a new coat like GDSA or a weekend break. Before you know it, 5:2 will be a way of life, shaping your food habits and portion control and you might find you no longer even want to buy those biscuits, let alone try to limit the number consumed.

Chrispat, yes I agree, the last few kgs are the hardest to shift – I declared I was at ‘goal weight’ when I couldn’t get off the lengthy plateau! But then you’re also doubting yourself about what the ideal weight should be because well-meaning friends are often giving you those ‘don’t lose any more weight’, ‘here comes skinny Minnie’ comments. It must be lovely in Broome right now; it’s been 25 years since we were there.

I have read everything else but feel I’m taking up too much space so will stop here. Hope the Monday fasters are having a great day.

Hi everyone, early evening on the east coast, afternoonon the west coast. For Californiaif you’re on the east coast of Australia you add 7 hrs, then go back a day. Eg it’s 6pm here so add 7 makes it 1am, then go backwards makes it 1am Monday morning in California. So in New Zealand and Oz we live in the future!

Welcome to Califdreamer, ChrisPat and JoyAnne. In true Aussie (pronounced Ozzie) custom we need to shorten your name : So….

Califdreamer – I think someone’s already called you CaliD – so CaliD it is, so you are now an honorary Southern Hemisphaerie, along with Sarah from UK. Well done the vegemite. 2 more vegemite favourites – very light scrape of course on the toast then eithersliced tomatoes or avocado on top.Bit of cracked pepper and Bob’s your uncle.

Chrispat – easy – CP. I think you might be pur first SHer from Broome! Good to have you here!

JoyAnne – JA. Welcome to you and your OH (other half). You are wise to think of this as a long term solution. If you have lots to lose to normalise your weight then I suggest you set mini-goals. Also, here on the SH thread we
    suggest you set mini-goals or a series of goals, and to reward yourself when you reach a goal. That doesn’t mean a food reward but can be anything eg a particular piece of clothing, a bit of down time with a good book, a trip to the movies, theatre or concert, and one of our successful SHers, no longer posting, used to have a long luxurious bubble bath, candles etc.

Feel free to ask us anything, no matter how silly you might think it. We are a mix of maintainers and those still losing and at least 1 of us has probAbly been where you are.

May I suggest you do straight 5:2 for at least a few months before making any further decisions. You may need to tweak things a little but that’s easily done and there’s lots of knowledge and experience here to draw upon.

Onwards and Downwards,
    If you fall off the horse get back on,
    Merry

Check-in: 64.4 and holding steady.

In true “everything happens at the 1 time” fashion, we have had to replace a major appliance. I love the online service of good price, 24hr delivery, install, take away the packaging and old appliance.

Waving to everyone else WWWWW , and it seems Joffy soup, minestrone + extra beans, may become a “thing” along with Cinque soup, chicken miso with greens, and Thin soup, cauliflower. OH is cooking for us and the cavalry tonight.

Intesha – enjoy your very much well earned break!

LJ – isn’t it great to be maintaining!

Merry
    (Maintaining after losing 10kgs on my own then 21kg on 5:2; over 2 1/2 yrs on the forum)

Hey guys , thank you to all of you for your very valuable input , I’m eager to listen to all the experiences and great advise , I have been searching on you tube for all stories of intermittent fasting and I must say there’s heaps. My back mended within the week as the belly fat is disappearing very fast ( I hope my bum and thigh fat will disappear too lol) it’s my third week now now just finished my Monday 500 calories , made a veg and tomato soup with pasta very satisfying and warming cause it’s freezing . On the weekend we went to Barwon heads for a day out took a picnic but I’m noticing that on my non fast days , I’m not hungry after I have my first meal , I get fully extremely quickly and I’m no longer hungry for an afternoon snack and I’m not really hungry for dinner. Has anyone else experienced their appetite quickly being satisfied, I’m assuming it’s because my stomach is shrinking ?

Hello, today is my 1st NFD. So far so good. Are there any suggestions for keeping a food diary, eg. to lookup calories. I thought perhaps a spreadsheet type of thing but I’d love to enter manderin, push a button for “something”” to add in the calories.
    Thanks

Wow nice to “meet” everyone. Barwon Heads home of Cadel Evans and Adelaide home of Tour Downunder! (yes I’m a cyclist) So jealous. Weather here is perfect no humidity but cool in mornings for the visitors. just made a lovely meal that’s a handy one to have in reserve. Spagettied some zucchini, bit of smoked salmon, sprinkle of feta in a non stick pan with a slosh of olive oil, some capers, bit of lemon rind, chilli, garlic and tumeric and all done took about 5mins, well 7 if you include doing the zucchini. Something handy you can do with things in your fridge already, sure you can add other things if you fancy depending on cals you’ve had throughout the day. Had a difficult day today as a day off and a fast day just wanted to eat all day! Note to self do fast days on busy days then you don’t notice! To be honest I’m looking up calories then pretty much having the same food over and over on fast days as I’m too lazy! I think you guys who are maintaining are legends! Always the hardest bit keeping on track.

Viewing 50 posts - 11,701 through 11,750 (of 28,029 total)

You must be logged in to reply.