Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,907 replies, has 831 voices, and was last updated by  thinatlast 6 days, 13 hours ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 11,451 through 11,500 (of 28,011 total)

• Good morning everyone,
    It’s my fast day but I have a friend coming to stay overnight and it is her birthday on the weekend, so I will have a meal with her this evening if she likes. She has a stomach sleeve, so only eats small amounts, so today could be a fast day even so!

Hi Intesha, won’t you have fun making your granddaughter’s birthday cake! It will be gorgeous! And wow! The enchanted cup cakes!

Ljoyce, it sounds like the fast day change was a good idea. I hope yesterday kept going well. I’ve also rediscovered cocoa! My sister encouraged me to try with very expensive dutched cocoa from M. Truffe and I have it in milk with no sweetening at all, and I do just love it. (I generally add half a tsp of rice flour and heat it until it thickens slightly, so it feels like a very luxurious and delicious dessert drink). I don’t miss the sugar at all!
    When I have used up the very expensive M. Truffe cocoa I’ll buy some Bourneville cocoa and see if that is just as good.

I hope you had a lovely fast day yesterday too, Thin. And a lovely day after fast day today!

Gday I am so interested that you are feeling satisfied and active on that small amount of food. That is probably how it is meant to work with losing weight. When I first cut out sugar I often went for 24 hours without eating because I wasn’t hungry.
    Have fun working out how you do your fasts!

I do yoga from a gorgeous dvd by Wai Lana, that I have had for about 15 years! I manage to do her stretches slowly, and mostly lying down, and I keep trying to build up, but the nature of my illness makes that hard. I love it.
    I did Tai Chi a bit years ago, but it is too upright and uses more muscles than I can do with CFS. Oh I loved it though!

Good luck finding your konjac noodles Redmoonstar!

Best wishes everyone!

Morning all,
    Enjoy your fast day Cinque ( if you do one) and all other Thursday faster’s (usually me as well)I did well on my fast yesterday only having 2 coffees until 8:00pm then an omelette so was under my 500cals however just before bed I had a protein bar hoping that would quiet the tummy so that put me just over 600 cals I’m happy with that. I slept for 2 hours then back to wake up for a couple then back to sleep for a couple. Feeling very lethargic today due to a couple nights with lost sleep, on the plus side I’m not hungry so hoping to keep cals down and enjoying my first coffee. I hope I can get to where Gday is and not look for food on NFD’s. I wish Intesha could post a picture of her granddaughters cake it sound delicious, so do the enchanted cup cakes, I would probably gorge myself if I tried to make them!Well off to get car serviced and hopefully find my noodles, I’m also going to get food for other recipes on here thanks again Thin for the link. Have a great fast/ non fast day everyone!

Good Morning ladies and gents

Weigh in day for me today with a loss of 500 grams which I am pretty happy about. I did three FD’s last week because last Saturday was gigantic as far as calorie intake was concerned due to eating out at lunch and dinner.

My FD’s are normally Mondays and Wednesdays, but I added in Sunday for good measure. I’m glad I did as I’m sure there would not have been a loss on the scales otherwise!

I also upped my exercise this week by attending yoga 4 times and also added in a pool walking day and – another first since the hip op – an hour at the gym!! Im delighted to have cracked that little gym milestone at the 12 weeks post hip replacement. Yes I’m feeling it today, but who wouldn’t after a good 3 years of not going!!

I am having to really focus on all the good that is going on physically right now as my body is definitely on a bit of a plateau – even though I lost this week – I’ve been losing 500, gaining 200, losing 300, staying the same for a good 5 – 6 weeks now. I am just staying my course and have no doubt once my body readjusts to the 32 kgs already lost in the past year or so that it will continue its downward trend. I still have 25 kgs to go to get to my goal so won’t be stopping this way of eating any time soon – in fact I won’t ever as it’s the most sustainable way of eating I’ve ever come across!!

Happy FD/NFD to you all and let’s keep on keeping on one step at a time till we reach our health goals!!

😃🙏🏻😃🏊🏻🏃🏻‍♀️😃🙏🏻😃

Morning all,

My FD went without a hitch yesterday so I feel like I’m back on track now.
    I do find that as I get to the end of the month I feel a little panic about whether I will have lost weight or not. My clothes seem to fit the same , so my guess is that my weight is probably stable rather than decreasing, but I’ll see next week on weigh in day.

Cinque – I found Bourneville cocoa wasn’t a “dark” cocoa, like the Dutch versions are and the flavour is milder – it’s my least favourite as a drinking chocolate. The Dutch Cacao that Woolworths stock is quite nice – the brand is VanHouten and it’s shelved with the International Foods, although it is a higher cost than their other cocoas. I have also just discovered that Aldi have a very well priced organic cacao powder and it has a very good flavour – I only opened the packet 2 days ago and am enjoying it so far.
    Well done for having it without sugar, I can’t manage it, especially as I use almond milk so I’m not getting the lactose sweetness from cows milk. Thankfully I seem to tolerate stevia well so I have no qualms about using it occasionally in small amounts.

Lady Salsa, congrats on the half kilo loss and especially on your commitment to so much regular activity. Regardless of what the scales say, being more active will be so good for you.

Intesha – good luck with the dolly varden cake – it’s a long time since I made one, but I clearly remember trying to balance the baking tin in the oven and hoping it wouldn’t topple over as it has such a narrow base. Lots of fun to decorate though, you can really let your inner little girl come out to play.

Have a good day everyone.

Afternoon all, Yes, thanks it was a great <400 cal FD for me yesterday, I kept busy spreading a trailer load of rich soil through the garden beds. I find I can do any amount of heavy lifting on a FD but mental skills are harder. I can look at a simple recipe several times before it sinks in what to do next. The Spanish Fideos were yummy and the recipe is for 2, so I’ll be having the same thing on Sunday.

Woke this morning to exactly 60.0kg and wasn’t feeling at all hungry. So, I went for my walk before breakfast, was rewarded with four dolphin sightings and looking forward to seeing 59kg on the scales on my return. With a spring in my step, we decided to continue walking up to the local council to make an enquiry and there we encountered the ‘Biggest Morning Tea’. And that’s where the good news ends. A cake, a slice and a brownie later, I’m sitting here wondering why I sabotage my great results. Actually, there is some good news in that I hadn’t eaten breakfast which, as everyone knows, is a substantial calorie count, albeit better that it was before LJ stepped in to help me. I wasn’t yet home when the bad feelings, physical and mental, set in.

GDSA, I believe not eating to the clock is a good way to go. I haven’t eaten three meals for years. I hope you find the right system for you.

Cinque, have a great time with your sleepover friend. Intesha, enjoy your grand daughter’s cake making; these are the special memories that will stay with her forever. I still cherish the times spent with my two grandmas, and they’ve been gone nearly 30 years.

Redmoon, I’m glad you like our recipes. I hope you find the ingredients you need. Yay for 4 hours of consecutive sleep.

Lady Salsa, you are keeping busy! Good to hear from you. Hi to everyone on the previous page and all the Thursday fasters. And everyone who’s trying to behave themselves on a NFD, hope you’ve done better than I!

BTW, there is a way to post photos here. CharliesMum was the first to show us how with photos of her dog Charlie. Cinque might know.

Just finishing my Thusday FD. Been doing this for 3 weeks (Mon and Thurs) and it seems to get slightly easier each time. But only lost 1kg…

Good evening fellow fasters,
    Coming up towards the end of another FD. I have to go pick up my daughter from ballroom dancing then I will have dinner when I get home. For any new fasters, I like to eat at around 8pm-9pm on a FD to help with sleep and not feeling hungry later.
    Redmoonstar66 you can try and stay up late the night before a FD (not eating late at night though) and then after a late dinner on the FD go to bed within half an hour. It can help if your thinking about the not sleeping.
    Yvonne1967 just get your FD’s on track and have patience it will happen, you cannot rush the weight loss.
    I have made a very conscious effort to avoid snacks this last week on my NFD’s and coming home with a mandarin and apple or banana for dessert on these days. I don’t know if it has had any effect as I have been leaving for work too early so I haven’t been weighing on my lowest point.
    Great to hear some dolphin reports Thinatlast and I would not be too hard on yourself for a treat remember you are in maintenance you are allowed to go up and down.
    Meals for the day: Tuesday and it will be the same tonight.
    2 x white coffee’s 300kj, 500g minestrone soup 800kj, 50g kidney beans 200kj and 50g mushrooms 60kj Total 1360kj or 325cals

Good morning everyone,

Hello Yvonne, congratulations on three weeks done and 1 kg gone. I know it would be lovely to have lost more, but 1 kg less to carry around is great, and hopefully, with 5:2 it will never be back.

Joffy I am finding that avoiding snacks is having very good results. The best of which is that I start to get thirsty and drink more water. I do seem to be best when I am drinking even more water than the recommended 2 litres a day, and I have a feeling that is what has made the difference over the last couple of weeks where I am not so munchy!

Well I am afraid I bailed from my fast day too. I need to write a business plan and I needed the concentration. I did eat sensibly all day, and got a good start on the business plan, so I am not feeling guilty.
    I had a lovely evening with my friend.

Today is more work on the business plan, a trip out to the proposed cafe, and then my granddaughter overnight. I am trying to make sure I will have a clear day on Sunday for a proper fast!

Redmoonstar, someone was saying that coffee has more of an effect on fast days because we haven’t got food in our tummies to soak up some of the caffeine. Not at all sure of the science, but thought I would mention it incase less coffee gives you more sleep.

LJoyce, thanks for the cocoa info. I do like the darker cocoa! I realise I love it like I love coffee, not sweet and enjoying the bit of bitterness. But I do like cocoa with all milk! I’ll look out for the Aldi brand I think!

Lady Salsa, lovely to see your post and how wonderful to hear about all the yoga and exercise. You know you are doing wonderful things for your health so ignore the scales until they start behaving themselves!

Ha Thin, the biggest morning tea indeed! Oh well, you were within your rights, it wasn’t even a fast day, and I hope the treats tasted delicious. Plenty of new days ahead to behave yourself on!

Special hi to Minka who might have a minute to read posts, if not to write one!

Best wishes for the day everyone!

Hi All,
    Well done Yvonne on the 1kg loss! Any loss is good. I remember from my last go at 5:2 my scales didn’t seem to shift but I had lots of comments on my weight loss so I must have lost and I know my clothes certainly felt better and I had to wear a belt with some of them. Give it some time Yvonne and keep going you will be pleasantly surprised. Thanks LJoyce I got my noodles, now to try the recipe! Thanks for the suggestion Joffy about staying up later, I am usually up late any way as once I finish my paid work I then have the meals, washing & lunches to do at home followed by paperwork for our business, by the time I get to relax it’s usually 10.30 -11.00pm. I know this also affects my sleeping habits but that’s life at the moment. I am going to try having a hot chocolate before bed as well. Cinque I have cut myself down from 10 – 15 cups coffee ( When I smoked) to 2 per day, my last one is around 4.00pm each day. My weight gain and eating ( binging) started when I gave up smoking, it took five years for me to start losing the weight I gained but I managed to lose 15kg, kept that off until 2 years ago hence starting 5:2 again. In the last 12 months I have gotten down to the 2 coffee’s and don’t think I can forgo them! I am also considering just trying a liquid fast on Monday as I only seem to get hungry once I eat, although last night around 2 am my stomach seemed to think I was on a FD and hadn’t eaten so maybe my body just assumes it’s going to be hungry Mon & Thus and acts accordingly!Cinque good luck with the business plan, that will be time consuming but worth it in the end once your up and running! Lady Salsa well done on the loss, a loss is a loss no matter how much! Thin, you are where I want to be and depriving yourself makes it worse so I’m glad you enjoyed the morning tea and don’t beat yourself up, you are already in this WOL and exceeding at it!I hope Intesha can post a picture of her Granddaughters cake and also the cup cakes! Enjoy your day everyone and I hope it’s a good one!

The panic about end of month weigh-in wasn’t easing off (I think because I didn’t lose anything last month), so I decided to take my measurements this morning. Luckily every body area is 1cm down on last month so I can stop worrying about next week’s weigh-in being bad. I had been genuinely sceptical about losing weight this month as I feel like I’ve eaten more than I should on the NFDs.

Redmoon – glad you found the konjac, they are so useful. I found that their high fibre content meant I needed to also make sure I drank enough fluids while my body was digesting them. (Depending on the brand, a serve can add 8-12grams of fibre to your meal – it’s why they are so filling.) By the way, well done on giving up smoking – so hard to give up such an addictive substance, but I really hope your long term health rewards you for making this change.

Yvonne – I know the rate of loss is slow, so is mine. I had to remind myself that I was only “dieting” 2 days per week, so a slow weight loss was realistic. The other thing that can effect it is your TDEE, if it’s low then the amount of calories that you are cutting out on the FDs is less, so weight loss will be less. I think the best way forward is to look at 5:2 as a healthier change to long-term life style – your weight will slowly adjust itself downward over time.

Cinque – I found the Aldi cocoa in the isle where they have their small range of organic packaged foods. I actually found it when I went looking for more of their cacoa nibs, which I had used before to make a decaffeinated chocolate chai tea that I drink in the evenings. One of the reasons I don’t drink coffee is because I don’t like bitterness as a flavour – probably why I also don’t like the cocoa without sweetener.

Joffy – your FD calorie count is definitely heading downward, I’m impressed.
    Do you have your new suit, does it look great?

I’m making my version of pea & ham soup today. I don’t like split peas (the only legume I really dislike), so I usually use lentils or mung beans instead and I also normally add some pearl barley. Yesterday I soaked some brown lentils and made a stock from a ham trotter and stock veg, so it should go together pretty easily this afternoon. In the cold weather I really like having a pot of soup in the fridge and various containers of soup in the freezer. It’s so easy to build a filling meal around a large bowl of soup. I also find it a welcome standby meal for FDs if I don’t feel like cooking one of my usual FD meals.

It’s a lovely sunny day here, so I’m going to walk into town to go to the chemist and the green grocer and I think I might have lunch at a cafe too, as it’s a NFD.

Hi all SHs

I just got back from an appointment with the dietitian (I check in with her roughly quarterly). She had suggested I read Rick Haussman’s book “If Not Dieting Then What?” I had slowly worked my way through the reading and the exercises and learned some interesting things.
    One of the exercises involved recording everything eaten over a day or more, but you rate hunger both before and after eating, you rate how slowly or quickly you ate and you describe whether the food you ate was satisfying or whether another choice might have been more satisfying. Now given how much information I already record, I didn’t expect to learn much from this exercise – but I was wrong. I found out that I never eat anything slowly and that snacks (especially sugary snacks) are always eaten fast – and one snack is often not enough – I’m back for another snack half an hour later. It confirmed that I need to be more mindful with all eating and make time to eat slowly and enjoy each mouthful. I can do this when I think of it, but it isn’t an everyday behaviour for me and I would like it to be.

The other thing we discussed was being more active. I set an exercise/activity challenge for myself during lent and I had some useful insights from that. I don’t much care for exercise for the sake of exercise – I find it much easier to get my exercise incidentally as part of other activities. For example gardening, housework, doing errands on foot. Sometimes I’m manufacturing an excuse – for example yesterday I walked into town to go to the chemist, the bank and the green grocer – none of these errands had to be done yesterday, they could have waited a couple more days. But I knew the weather was nice yesterday and by Sunday it was going to rain, so I decided to combine my errands with a walk while the weather was nice. If I just decide I need to go for a walk I find it much easier to tell myself I’ll go later. When it involves an errand it is somehow an easier sell – I think it has to do with feeling like I’m getting a lot of value from the time invested.
    The dietitian said that people who are generally active in daily life have greater success maintaining their weight than those who are sedentary apart from specific exercise sessions – mainly because life gets in the road and it’s easy to miss a gym session. So I will continue to focus on building more activity into my days in a way that feels natural and manageable.

FD for me today and tomorrow I’m shouting my best friend to a cafe lunch for her birthday. Hope you are all having a good weekend.

Good morning all. Catching up on posts with my morning coffee. My last day of leave today after 2 weeks off following dads passing.

Making zucchini fritters for breaky and will finish off cleaning out the potting shed when the sun comes up. The shed has been a ‘dumping ground’ so it will be nice to get it back in order for winter gardening. Will also finish setting up the sewing room (spare bedroom no longer needed as i have given up foster caring) and set up the overlocker which has been in storage for 10 years. Im so looking forward to getting back into sewing again and teaching Miss D.

Miss D and I attended a potters/clay making workshop yesterday. We made some wonderful items but disappointed they didnt have a potters wheel to try and no kiln to fire our works. First time for both of us and really impressed with all our creations.

Nearly finished reading Keto Clarity and liking the idea of giving it a go. Only drawback is the necessity to measure ketos daily and therefore having to purchase a breath or blood measuring unit…certainly prefer measuring via breath !!

Yay the sun is finally rising. Happy sunday everyone.

Good morning Ms Early Riser Gday! I hope it is an especially lovely last day of leave. The potting sounds excellent, and so does the sewing room. It is just so wonderful to make things.
    Good luck with that keto clarity.

Wow Redmoonstar, what a change from that smoking, coffee drinking lifestyle! Although come to think of it I was similar back in the days when I worked in a women’s refuge (smoking a cigarette together was so sociable back then!) (and lots of coffee was completely necessary!).
    How frustrating it must have been to see the weight stacking on once you gave up smoking.
    Thanks so much for the Aldi coffee info, I do find it very hard to find things in those stores.

Thanks for the support re the YamDaisy venture, I have been awake at night worrying about it because we can do less in the space than I thought, and sorting out an outside kitchen, transport and chef, to bring food in, might make it unworkable. Hopefully I can get that clarified in the next couple of days.

LJoyce it is so interesting to read about the points you have taken from your appointment with the dietitian. Eating fast goes along with not eating mindfully, doesn’t it. I get so annoyed now when I finish something and realise I wasn’t aware as I ate it!

You are so right about exercise as part of daily life. I remember when I was teaching in remote Australia and realised that traditional life was walking every day, sometimes most of the day. And then reading all the stuff about designing healthy cities/suburbs/communities is about making walking (and socialising) easy.

I scrambled together some soup yesterday, with black beans and every vegetable in the house, because I also LOVE having a hearty soup that I can grab a bowl of as an easy meal. But I went wrong somewhere! Oh dear, it is just about edible but I think I will donate it to the compost bin and try again (I shouldn’t cook when I am too tired, it is just a waste).

I hope it was a lovely fast day yesterday and a lovely time with your birthday friend today.

Your posts have got me in the mood for fasting today.

Best wishes to everyone

Hi, it is such a stunning day here at Lennox Head NSW. I just had my first outdoor run for the season. I go to the gym 3-4 times a week due to consistent climate control. Today was exceptional warm, dry & I could test the new path built last summer but far too hot for me! As for you folk in the deep south, yes you can run 🏃 a lot more than me & yes I do envy you🙃
    Have a fabulous Sunday – looking forward to my veggie soups for Mon- Tuesday fast days🥕🍆🌶

Fasting Sunday and I’m ready for it! Three days of not-so-mindful eating starting with that sugary morning tea and ending with pizza at an event, something that hasn’t been a part of my diet for nearly 3 years. Incredibly, I’m still under 61kg. You’re right Joffy & Redmoon, it’s amazing how our bodies can absorb occasional diversions from healthy eating when we employ our FDs to put the brakes on and re-set ourselves. I’m looking forward to the simplicity of cauliflower soup and the leftover portion of Spanish Fideos. Maintenance requires constant vigilance.

Yvonne, I’d consider losing one kg after five FDs a great success! It doesn’t matter how long it takes as long as there’s a downward trend.

Cinque, do you have any red hot chilis growing in your garden? I find they can really improve a nondescript soup. Oh no, more challenges ahead with YamDaisy. You will have so many skills by the time you get this cafe going.

LJ, have you thought of getting a dog? They provide a great sense of purpose for walking. I’m fortunate to live in an area that’s conducive to walking both for pleasure and getting errands done. I recall some of the places we lived in the USA though where it was impossible to nip out for milk without the use of a car. I’m only kidding about the dog, I know you said you hoped to do some travelling once your house is sold. But there are also temporary options such as guide dog trainee and greyhound foster caring.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend everyone.

Thanks for the kind & encouraging words🌈.
    🌶🌶🌶 totally agree, I have chilli powder, a chilli plant in the yard, chillsauce in 3 non sugar varieties ( 2 of them from the local Byron Bay chilli company); it gives you a boost & helps make non sugar no salt food fabulous.
    I spent the day making veggie stock & pulses for the freezer. Plus an added bonus we harvested our second banana crop in 10 days. Got to make room for banana s in the freezer as they make a non sugar / non dairy icecream in the blender- just delicious 🍌. Time for the housework before a sundowner – just love the 5th day 🍇.

Hedda, I admit to some envy of your mild climate. I live in the Adelaide Hills and I can certainly tell that winter is closing in fast.

Cinque – I usually find some tinned tomatoes can help a veg & legume soup that hasn’t quite worked – especially if I also add either fresh herbs or a couple of tablespoons of pesto.

I’ve just had lunch out at a cafe in Hahndorf which included a small piece of raspberry cheesecake for dessert – quite nice. My best friend and I treat each other out to lunch or high tea for our birthdays instead of buying presents, and it was her birthday today. It’s wet and cold in the Adelaide Hills today but we enjoyed our lunch and a short walk afterward (until it started raining again, when we made a swift dash to the car).

Good point. However I have had many a wonderful summer holiday in Adelaide, my Godmother lived there she owned a beautiful shop in the city. I have many warm and beautiful memories of Adelaide and the town of Hahndorf- unfortunately I was too young to drink the wine! That’s easily solved – I choose South Australian almost unconsciously 😏.
    As for the cake, yes I get offered cake most days because my colleagues bake & I am certain they think I’m very weird. They watch me closely in meetings & crack up when I pass on the lolly jar untouched 🤣 .
    I’m pleased my diet causes so much happiness & yes I really do enjoy their cakes!

Good morning, Hello Hedda! Hello to the warm North!

I have to admit that my soup fail was the result of some water I had kept from cooking vegetables. It was not off but it wasn’t good. Chili, fried garlic and even lemon juice couldn’t save that soup!

I had a hard day yesterday, it was sort of a fast as at no point did I eat enough to stop me feeling hungry! But I think I ate at least 800 calories so I will call it a half fast. I had to make an important decision though, and I did, so it was a good day.

What a lovely treat a good cheesecake is LJoyce!

Catch you all soon!

Good morning, from a wet an dreary Adelaide. I am inside with a fire going in the slow combustion. I’ve stacked some more wood under the eaves so it has a chance to dry out before I need it over the next few days, which are all forecast to be wet. It’s going to be a day for housework and reading I think, definitely no gardening or walking today.

Cinque, good on you for trying to stick to your FD even if it didn’t turn out to be as low cal as normal. I don’t thin an occasional 800 cal day is going to be a problem, you seem to me to be pretty much on top of your food choices most of the time.
    I had a similar stock problem with my ham hock soup (not off as it was freshly made stock, just far too intense a flavour). It was much saltier than I expected and I had trouble eating the first bowl of lentil & veg soup that I had made with it. I ended up draining most of the liquid off the soup and into containers and I added a lot of fresh water to the soup and reboiled for another 20 minutes – this was enough to dilute the saltiness down to a level that I liked. The liquid that I drained off I have frozen in several half litre containers as I can use this as a stock for future soups. (If you haven’t already guessed I have a great deal of trouble throwing food away. I go to great lengths to use leftovers or rescue unsuccessful meals. It’s one of the ongoing issues I have with food – definitely a behaviour I learned from my mother who lived through the 1930s depression when it was difficult for their family of 9 to get enough to eat.)

I’ve been thinking about the cheesecake I had with lunch yesterday. I realised how high my expectations have become of food treats like that. If I’m going to eat something that has that many calories I expect perfection. When I used to eat desserts and sweet bakery nearly every day I had lower expectations, and would finish the item even if it was just OK. But now that these are rare treats I need them to be really good. Yesterday’s cheesecake had a lovely raspberry topping – which I thoroughly enjoyed, a baked cheesecake filling which was good but not great and I ate most of that, and a base which was OK – so I left that. I am happy that I can be selective about what I eat and leave the components that I don’t consider to be worth the calories. This is a behaviour that would have once been impossible for me, so it’s an improvement that I’m really happy about.

I remembered another part of the conversation that I had with the dietitian. It was about the link between appetite and metabolism. I have no appetite in the early morning. In hot weather my appetite doesn’t start until afternoon and in cold weather it’s usually mid-late morning. However I have noticed that if I do eat a small breakfast (eg muesli) even though I’m not hungry it kick starts my appetite and I find myself then wanting food for morning tea as well. The dietitian said that some things will stimulate our metabolism – such as eating or activity, so it is normal for me to feel hungry earlier if I eat breakfast. I have also noticed that I’m noticeably hungrier on days when I’m more active than usual – which I suppose shows a faster metabolism from the activity.
    I do intend to keep my morning food consumption linked to appetite – I don’t start eating until I feel hungry. Because I have had such a disassociation between eating and appetite for most of my life I think that keeping to that link between eating and actually being hungry is quite important for me now.

It’s a NFD for me, FD tomorrow. I already have soup ready to be reheated for lunch and I’ve pulled some curries out of the freezer to be reheated for dinner – I just need to microwave some pappadams to go with them. All good choices for the cold weather here.

In my fb feed this morning. Thought about putting it on the science articles thread but then thought I’d stick to Australia since it is our CSIRO and well, jumping on the bandwagon are you CSIRO?
    https://blog.csiro.au/enjoy-flexibility-and-freedom-on-the-new-flexi-diet/

LJ, I can relate to the issues you have with food waste. These were values handed down from my grandparents to my parents and which I, in turn, have instilled in our daughter. I find other people’s food waste staggering. In restaurants, I sometimes see whole plates of wasted food and have to fight the urge to go and rescue it! We go to friends and they dispose of entire snack food trays before embarking on the meal. With only three in our family, we are used to eating leftovers and it’s a rare day that I would throw food away. Our meals at home are driven by what I have on hand, not what we ‘feel like’ eating. Through 5:2, I have learned not to put as much food on my plate in the first place and to try to stop eating before I am full. But, if I do leave anything, it still won’t go in the bin. So, like you, I have made some small advances.

Cinque, thanks for the link. The Flexi diet? I can attest to increased feelings of general well-being since starting IF. You probably needed the extra 300 cals to make that hard decision yesterday! Was it a YD decision and, if so, what did you decide? I had a great FD yesterday – all my FD foods were lined up in the fridge/freezer. And they were all white! Almond & coconut milk; cauliflower soup; Slendier Angel Hair noodles (for my Fideos); cottage cheese and a frozen banana. 60.2kg this morning and a clean slate for some better eating choices on my NFDs this week.

Yes it is tough on fast days. I just tucked into three some small lady finger bananas from our garden – it was hunger on a fast day which pushed me over the edge. The only saving factor was they were old and required heavy trimming of bruises etc🍌.
    One more day to go 👌

What a cosy huge atmosphere by the 🔥! We had a very warm day at our office & I wore summer clothes to work – most strange; our building is temporary made of metal with no insulation so it a treat on mild days. Winter is heading this way tomorrow. Struggling with the fast again today – I should remingtmyself that hunger means I’m burning fat👌.
    I purchased a range of herbal drinks most have licorce in them & are sweet , a colleague complains about this & believes the label are false & they actually have sugar in them. I’m back to plain old camomile today, anything to cut the calories on a fast day🙃.
    I have been using the Healthy Food Guide recipes the calories are labelled for each recipe- I gather they are for the whole meal not per serving??? The recipes are Australian so make it easier to source ingredients.

Hi there I just watched details of the CSIRO Flexi diet I am thinking of joining after my trip to Malaysia & Thailand for 3 weeks. I am hopeless trying to do this by myself I need the regular backup of being accountable. I enjoy success with 5:2 then reward myself. I must admit after reading about it all its very similar I am at my wits end. You are all doing so well I know you have days when you feel downhearted but somehow you manage to pick yourselves up. I feel a bit like a sad sack at the moment.

Very typical re food waste, my poor father starved on the Russian front! I was a very skinny child and forced to eat heavy stodgy foods I did not want – I distinctly remember this dinner tussle I had to eat my plate clean or stay at the table for ages; my parents would take an apple from my hands if they saw me eating before dinner. We had gourmet food and homemade pastries and tortes all the time. Remarkably I now weigh 1-2 kilos more than I did 25 years ago. I never knew what a diet was or scales 😃. I have to explain this to everyone today, they all think I’m too skinny because they didn’t know me back then. Thank heaven my husband welcomes my return to the shapely figure I once had.

Hi everyone. Been away for a while. Busy renovating a house so much activity up and down ladders etc. I have kept on with 5 2 for 6 months now have shed 13 kilos. Very happy, taken in 5 dresses about 3 or 4 inches. For the new fastens all I can say is stick with it as this works. I too find it best not to eat breakfast and wait till 1 pm or so for a small bowl of greens etc though today I had miso soup with some xtra verges added then two boiled eggs for dinner with rockmelon after. Hopefully down on the scales in the morning.

Good morning everyone,
    It is cold and rainy and I have a hot cup of tea and a purring cat on my knee. Not only that, I got two loads of washing done yesterday, and I brought the last one in at 11pm (got out of bed on a whim) which meant it was inside when the rain came! Win!

The big decision made was for YamDaisy, we realised we couldn’t make the healthy food we wanted to in the little cafe opportunity we were given, and couldn’t afford to make it elsewhere and bring it in, so we had to say no. I sent the email off just after I posted yesterday, and later had a conversation with the nice guy who offered it to us about other opportunities, so I am already making plans!

They had someone on the radio this morning talking about that CSIRO flexi diet too. Jenwren I really hope you try it when you get back from that exciting looking trip! I’d love to hear how you go and if you find it easier than 5:2. Maybe after being on it for a while 5:2 would be easier to do as you would be out of the habit of feasting except one day a week. So if you do go on it, please give us lots of updates!

I am the same with waste. My mum brought up seven children on little money, so it wasn’t even the depression that made her thrifty, and I was worried about the state of the world even as a teenager! But I brought up my daughter not to eat things she didn’t want to, which means she is healthier and has a healthier attitude to eating than I have, but she drives me up the wall with all the food she throws out! (Passive aggressive mum here 😉 )

Hedda I love licorice root tea and it does taste so sweet! But I make it using only the licorice root, so really no sugar.
    Cheers for your back to back fasts (something I still haven’t tried). I hope the lady finger bananas that tempt you today have lots of bruises to cut out also! How nice to have your shapely figure back.
    How hard life must have been for your father.

LJoyce I love what you wrote about only eating what you love. I don’t know if it is just a phase, I hope not, but I am gradually crossing off all my fast food treats. I decided I wouldn’t buy samosas from the Northland food court anymore as they had started to taste disappointing, and even the wonderful Rooster Bar chicken and chips don’t please me as much as they used to. Luckily I still love the frozen pork dumplings they make at One Noodle Friendship and the felafel mix that is made locally and sold up the street. But I do like that I am getting fussier. Last soup aside, the food I make is usually better than anything I can buy.

Thin, an all white fast day! But very delicious. What colour today?

Ladyfish, what a wonderful report. Congratulations! Good luck with the renovations!

I went shopping yesterday and came home with a big bag of veggies. Roasted veggies last night with a tahini sauce. Yum. I will try soup again today, and my version of eggplant parmigiana (grill not fry). It is a good day for cooking. And I try to make my meals all about the vegetables!

Best wishes everyone for a good day of mindful eating when we eat, and enjoyment of the spaces between!

Hi all,

I’m in the midst of catching up with reading posts so am still in the middle of page 239, as I focus on cramming TAFE assignments imminently due, work long shifts, attempt to sell my beloved 21 year old car, etc. I’ll write a more lengthy post when I’m up finally up with the latest!

Just before I go I’ll say that I regard you as very brave Thin for sharing with everyone what you might eat on a NFD. I don’t think I’d feel very comfortable doing that. Were I to reveal what I eat on NFDs I wouldn’t be surprised if a peanut gallery were to suddenly find its way out of the woodwork and pipe up to tell me how unhealthy at least some of my NFD fare actually is!

In any case, healthy or not, I’m still fasting, maintaining and have been back with 2 x FD a week and today (Tuesday) is one of those! So happy fasting if there is anyone else out there joining me.

I just found out I need to travel to the Riverland at the end of the week for an uncle’s funeral – this is one of those passing’s where it’s a blessing that the suffering is over. As I have 3 consecutive days with no appointments I have decided to go for the whole 3 days as it will allow me to also spend some quality time with my sister.

I’ve just been looking at the week’s meal plan, trying to work out how to move FDs around as there’s no point trying to do them when staying with my sister. I’m doing a normal FD today and I’ve decided I’ll do an 800cal FD either tomorrow or probably Thursday so that I can head off Friday and not worry about fasting until I return. Doing 2 FDs close together is always a risk for me, but I think if I allow more calories, which will let me have both lunch and dinner it should just feel like a normal day but with lower calorie meal choices.

Cinque – sorry to hear that the yamdaisy project is on hold again.

Minka – well done on the TAFE progress. I a total of 12 years tertiary education – most of it part time while trying to work full time. Keeping on top of study will all of the other demand of life is not easy. I have your results reflect your hard work.

Jenwren – I’ll be interested to see what the new CSIRO diet looks like (if I’ve read it correctly is sound like you get 3 FDS, 3 shake meal replacement days and one feast day).

I have also noticed that the BSD has gone through a transformation that offers various options other than just the 8 weeks at 800 cal – they now have a 5:2 option that combines with a mediterranean diet on all days. It looks like (for a fee) they start a new group each month with participants starting together and they are providing online medical support in addition to the forum where people support each other.
    https://thebloodsugardiet.com/
    This might be a very good option for those that come to 5:2 with symptoms of insulin resistance.

Good morning all. Chilly few days here in the Flinders being 2 degrees as I’m posting. Im envious of the posters who have a wood fire – sounds delightful. Have to admit I fell behind reading posts of late so have been quickly skimming through to catch up – hence minimal reference to individual comments.

Happy this morning as my body fat percentage is at its lowest of 37 %. It was 40.5 % 2 months ago.

Im still researching the Keto way of eating and last night read a Paleo book by chef Pete Evans. Definitely couldnt go Paleo as I love my full fat yogurt, milk and white cheeses too much but it has many similarities to Keto so was worth reading.

The vegie seedlings I planted a few weeks ago are growing really well. Have the containers covered in clear plastic to simulate a greenhouse seeing as I was a bit late in the season planting. Miss D is already licking her lips in anticipation of the fresh peas and beans she will be eating soon !

Well it sounds like you are on fire anyway🔥. Burning fat, growing veggies. I put in a garden because we spend a vast sum on non processed raw foods now. It cost upward of $80 but within 7 days every bug on the planet devoured the seedlings 😬 . So off to Bunnings we trundled & got a very tiny bug tunnel- next project make a much taller tunnel with poly pipe & netting. Our sons are getting married this October & we are bucking the trend converting our Mediterranean rock terrace garden into a good old homemade market garden🍆 . Big struggle today the Cancer Council morning tea – I’m battling to keep my weight stable & don’t need the fuss. A lovely colleague told me to just ignore the voiced concerns as she knows I take it to heart while they don’t give my health or weight a second thought. My blood pressure is still perfect & I haven’t snored in 10 months! Yeh for 5:2 & no sugar🌈

Good morning,
    I had a slow day yesterday, finally managed to make the tray of eggplant parmigiana (yum). The soup is top of my list today. Fast Day tomorrow.

Hi Minka! (for when you get to this page, next week!) Good luck with those assignments, and the long work shifts, and fingers crossed you find someone to buy your dear old car. Cheers for managing those fasts!
    Hoping there are holidays soon, because we miss you here.

It is hard, the amount of scrutiny and judgement a woman can get by sharing what they eat on a normal day. But not here!!!!
    It is bad that it is that way, but it has been so all my life and worse in my mum”s life I think. I should write mine here in solidarity but they vary so much, and if I write today’s one it might be light and healthy and make me look very smug 😉

LJoyce, I hope your uncle has a good send off, and you get lovely time with your sister. Very precious to have that time.
    good FD plan!
    That is very interesting about the changes to the BSD diet. I think people do need a lot of support.
    YamDaisy plans will pop again soon! I’ll let you know 🙂

Cold here too Gday, but ofcourse Melbourne is a huge concrete sink and that has practically got rid of frosts.
    Congratulations on the lowering fat percentage. Every day healthier!

Good luck to your seedlings! And yours too Hedda. I have heart’s ease coming up in a seedling tray and coriander coming up like a carpet, I’m treating it as micro herbs at the moment! (Most of the greedy insects are favouring my horseradish, hooray, that is keeping them off everything else. But Oh, the gall on my poor little lemon tree. I will have to prune it right back.)

Hooray for stopping snoring! I watched that new show on the ABC http://www.abc.net.au/tv/programs/ask-the-doctor/ about sleep last night. It was about sleep and snoring. Just basic info, but it explained what a problem snoring can be.

Best wishes everyone for a good day today!

PS Dr Mosley on SBS Insight next week. New book out about gut biome http://www.sbs.com.au/food/article/2017/05/25/your-gut-problem-not-all-your-mind

Cinque, that’s an interesting article, thanks for posting. I’ll watch out for the book. And I’ll bring that kim chi to the front of the fridge. It makes me glad I’ve re-started making milk kefir too. The book I read on gut health last year was fascinating. (“10% Human”). It was very scientific and a lot went over my head but the underlying message was clear – gut health is responsible for just about everything. I expect Dr M’s will be easier to read.

I found it tricky to come up with a typical sample of NFD food for the reasons you cite. In the preceding days, I took my usual handfuls of items, milk in coffee, chunks of cheese, etc, and then weighed/measured what I’d taken in the hope that the actual act of reporting wouldn’t influence how much I took. Then, on the day of reporting to LJ, each time I grabbed a snack food like almonds, or had a couple of white coffees, I referred to my baseline ‘typical’ quantity from previous days rather than weighing each item. That’s probably as clear as mud. But thanks for your supportive words Minka and Cinque!

Minka, you don’t have to read everything! Just jump in when you can. Pleased that everything seems to be going so well for you. Too busy to eat by the sound of it.

LJ, I’d never heard of Riverland until yesterday when I came across it twice. After reading your post mentioning it earlier in the day, there was sadly a fatal light plane crash there too. I hope you have a good trip.

I’m envious of anyone that can grow coriander. I’ve never had success with it but use a lot of it and it’s expensive. Our lime tree is producing juicy delicious limes to squeeze on everything but the orange tree has no oranges. Why is this, clever gardeners? It’s been fertilised. It’s always had the best oranges I’ve ever tasted but only produced about 50 per year in the past and all at once – now none.

Any Wednesday fasters with me today? Are you doing your 800 cals today LJ? Interesting that the BSD has been modified. That one never appealed to me. Very happy with 5:2, long may it last.

Me again. Hedda oh those pesky bugs…they have munched their way through my established mint and italian basil pots but have steered clear of my thai basil – they obviously dont have taste buds for thai food but love italian ! In fact I cringed to the max yesterday as I had to buy supermarket basil and mint at $2.50 each for a tiny bunch to make my chilli avacado dip/spread. The recipie is actually a salad dressing but I make it thicker. It surprisingly lasts for over a week without going brown….guessing its perhaps the apple cider vinegar which stops it from oxidizing.

Cinque thanks for the heads up on MM program next week. Did anyone watch the MM one last week (i think) on meat ? I thought his meat intake was too extreme to be of any scientific significance.

Ive also watched the Ask The Dr series on good ol aunty ABC. Really enjoyed it. Hope they continue the series.

Lunchbreak is over better get back to work. For those fasting have a good day.

I struggled with yesterday’s FD – the hunger wouldn’t quit, so I couldn’t face doing another one (even an 800 cal version) today. So I thought, I’ll do it tomorrow, then head off to my sister’s on Friday. You know what they say about the best laid plans… I got a text form my cousin’s daughter inviting me to her son’s 1st birthday family dinner tomorrow night. So I seriously doubt tomorrow will be a FD either.
    I’m not going to stress about it. For the next few days I’m just going to listen to my appetite and try to make mostly good food choices and stop when full. I’ll get back to my usual routine when I return home next week.

Thin – the Riverland is a horticultural region that’s approx 300kms east of Adelaide. Most of the towns are built next to the River Murray (which I guess is where the name comes from). I grew up in Barmera which is not on the River, but is next to Lake Bonney – where I learned to swim as a kid. When I was growing up the main industry was horticulture (stone fruit, citrus, almonds, melons, grapes and some vegetables). I think tourism brings more money to the region these days as the water allocation and salinity of the water is pretty poor these days.

I know a few of you pay close attention to your carbohydrate intake – unlike me.
    There is an Australian company that started developing lower carb grain based products a few years ago. They are called Herman Brot, and I think they are based in Queensland. Their products are not low calorie, just lower carb. They now make bread, muesli and pasta.
    I came across their bread about 3 years ago. The main flour in it is soy and it has the colour of a dark rye but is quite light textured and tastes like a wholemeal seed bread – good flavour unless you are a white bread fan. One slice is approx 520kj (225cal) and has 2.5g net carbohydrate. Now I’m not personally interested in eating low carb, but I am interested in eating high fibre and this bread has over 5g fibre per slice. I’m a fan of salad sandwiches with perhaps some cheese and these flavours work well with this bread.
    The only supermarket where I’ve found this brand in SA is Foodland, but they do have a stockist list on their website and seem to be available Australia wide in independent supermarkets like IGA. https://hermanbrot.com.au/

The reason I’m bringing this up now is that I’ve just popped into the supermarket to buy ingredients for stoganoff and noddles to take with me to the birthday dinner tomorrow night (we are all taking a casserole, so that the mum can concentrate on making the cake for her little boy’s 1st birthday). While looking for egg noodles I found the new Herman Brot lower carb pasta (fettuchini style noodles). Visually, it looks like a wholemeal pasta and contains a blend of wheat, soy, rice & oats. 100g of the dry noodles have 1330kj (317cal), which is similar to other pastas which are usually 1300-1500kj. This quantity also contains 10g carb, 17.5g fibre, 2.4g sugar and a whopping 46.5g protein. I’ve bought some to try as the high fibre and protein content really interest me. I really like vegetable pasta sauces, so teaming that with a pasta that is high protein would provide a balanced meal for me – normal pasta with veg sauce gives me a high carb content and hardly any protein unless I load it up with parmesan cheese. I have generally avoided pasta meals since losing weight, but if this one tastes OK they might go back on the menu.

Good morning,
    It is day before fast day for me, and I am looking forward to tomorrow.

I’m laughing about the coriander Thin because I am not usually very successful either. But I grew some a year ago and gathered seeds, and also my friend grew a great crop and gave me seeds. I’ve been sprinkling them on the garden over the last year and got nothing. I thought they had been eaten. But now they have all come up together! Fingers crossed they settle in and self seed!

LJoyce, good luck ‘getting over rough ground as lightly as possible’. You will be so glad when you get back home and can settle back into your healthy routines. No doubt you will learn some interesting things about yourself on the way.
    How wonderful to grow up by a lake!

Gday I did watch the Michael Mosley show about meat. The second part is on tonight, I think. Interesting… and fortunately supports the way I eat meat!

I made my new soup yesterday. Mostly chopped cauliflower, with lentils, carrot, sweet potato and chard, with sauteed onions and celery for a base and light spicing. Just perfect. The fridge is full of good food for me to eat over the next few days. Lovely.

Best wishes for a good day everyone.

How nice to have a fridge full of tasty and healthy food prepared Cinque. Good luck with the coriander. I hope your FD is off to a good start. I had the worst one ever yesterday. Normally, I breeze through a FD and rarely feel particularly hungry. Yesterday, I did nothing differently but, from about 3pm, my stomach was rumbling like a lion’s and I felt very hungry. I tried to get rid of it by drinking 3 cups of peppermint tea (one tea bag). By 4pm, I suddenly started feeling very cold (25C yesterday) and by 5pm, I had to concentrate hard not to shovel in my hearty root and barley soup as I felt ravenous. I struggled through the evening and went to bed feeling a bit hungry but fortunately fell asleep quickly due to two previous bad nights’ sleep in a row.

I can’t think why this should be especially after nearly three years of practicing fasting. Sometimes, my FD success has been influenced by what I ate the day before (I find lots of sugar can make them harder). We had a restaurant Thai meal the evening before but I didn’t take any rice. And the only other thing is that I was at exactly 60kg at the start of the fast, maybe my body was genuinely saying that was low enough.

Anyway, I’m feeling great this morning (have gained 200gms though!) and enjoying the first of two frothy coffees. I’ll have to make sure I eat well for the coming three NFDs.

LJ, you’ve taken a good approach to your trip – you’ve planned it so you’re in control. That in itself probably makes you feel good.

I thought the Dr M programme on meat was a repeat so I didn’t watch it. Am I correct? I’ve located the gut book on the Book Depository and plan to order it after I’ve seen the Insight episode.

I hope everyone’s doing well today. Thinking of the absentees too Merry, Intesha, Minka, Joffy, Slim and hope you’re all staying strong.

Morning all, it’s lovely here with the sun coming in the window, but was a very cold frosty morning. This is definitely the weather for sleeping in until it warms up.

Well, it was weigh in day for me and my weight is the same again this month. What is unusual is that my hips, waist and bust are all down a cm from last month. But my knees (which I measure as a guide to joint inflammation levels in my body), are up by a combined 3cm. This tells me that my body fat has probably gone down a little, but it’s being masked by inflammation at the moment. So I feel ok about the lack of weight loss. My clothes (especially my “tight” jeans) feel a little looser, which is a win for me.

I have a busy day today before I can head off to the Riverland tomorrow and I won’t be posting while I’m away, so have a good weekend everyone.

Good morning all. I’ve been fasting since 30 June 2015 and have only lost 13kg but feel better for it. I usually fast Mondays and Thursdays as well but every now and again I have 1 fast day, 2 normal days, 1 fast day etc for a 2-3 weeks just so my body doesn’t get used of a pattern and plateau. I’ve only been doing this for the past couple of months and lost 1kg pretty much straight up. I also joined the gym 3 months ago to try and get things moving again. I have 200gm of rockmelon for lunch and will have a 6 inch chicken teriyaki subway for dinner with the standard salad, no cheese and no sauce. I normally only have 1 coffee on a starve day but today I’ve had 2 because it’s darn cold in sunny Qld today. Cheers for now.

Good morning ladies – I hope this finds you all well, fasting or non fasting and enjoying this beautiful sunny winter weather we have today in Perth! Today is my weigh in day and I’m happy to say that I’ve got rid of another 300 grams 😃! No matter how small the amount lost I celebrate knowing my body is lighter and healthier because of it.

My week has been a busy one with all the physical activity I’m participating in. Yoga, pool jogging, walking – all to get the strength back in my right leg. I’m 15+ weeks post right total hip replacement and I’m amazed at how well I’m doing with the rehab. Could kiss my surgeon 😂😂😂

Still keeping my focus on the moment and the fact I’ve still got kilos to lose. I track everything, started weighing myself every day and drinking 3-4 litres of water per day. Onwards and downwards no matter how long it takes!! You never fail if you never give up!!

Wishing you all success on your FD’s and NFD’s.

Lady_Salsa x

Oh No I thought today was Wednesday. That’s what comes of having a quiet week. I’ll have to fast Friday.

Yes the meat doc is a few years old. I didn’t catch it before though.

What a hard fast day Thin. I wonder if the Thai restaurant puts sugar in the sauces. I haven’t found an Asian place around here that doesn’t have the sauces so sweet they mess me up (Chinese, Vietnamese) except some dishes at Noodle Kingdom. But as you say, you may have been straight out hungry!

Welcome here Jemmett! I’m about to have my second coffee too!
    How much more do you want to lose? So glad the new routine is working for you.

Hi Lady Salsa, congratulations on that nice little loss, and the sun to sit in! And the ongoing recovery.

Congratulations to you too LJoyce, how comfy your clothes will be feeling. I’ll be thinking of you at Riverland.

So mental acuity hasn’t proved to be a fasting benefit for you either Cinque! When I saw your post ‘it’s the day before fast for me’, I was momentarily confused but concluded that you must have posted last night! You could be quite right about the sauces in the Asian dishes – and there was I feeling all smug about having no appetisers, wine, rice or dessert! Fortunately, I’m not hungry today.

Good job Lady Salsa. A loss is a loss, hey?

Jemmet, welcome to you and well done for sticking with it for almost two years. When I read about your having a 6″ subway on a FD, I was prompted to check the calories on myfitness.pal. Not much joy there as there are so many variations. Do you estimate your terriyaki chicken sandwich to come in at around 300 cals?

Good evening all. Bbbrrr its chilly. One deg the last few mornings and zero the next few days. Really finding the 5.30am exercise routine a struggle at the moment and its only the first day of winter today so not looking forward to 4.30-5am rising the next 3 months. Wish I could sleep longer but my bodyclock just wont allow it and I dislike lying in bed while awake. Once I’m awake that’s it….time to get up.

Welcome to the forum Jemmet. Im sure you will enjoy the to and fro banter along with the ups and downs we all experience along our way.

LJoyce make sure you pack your winter woolies. My experience of the Riverland in winter is that you will certainly need them. Beautiful by the river at any time of year though. Thanks for the Herman Brot info – will look for it when next at foodland although it is only a small store so may not stock it.

Recorded my lowest weight to date this morning (apart from the few days after my 36 hr fast) of 67.5. I remember only not so long ago being so overjoyed at finally dropping below 70. I have to say that I take a second glance in the mirror each morning before I leave for work and say to myself in my mind….’gee you’re looking good’. I cant remember ever feeling so good about my body shape. Yep I am tooting my own horn here but I reckon it can only be a good thing. It’s about how I feel about myself not what other people think.

Purchased some Ketone/Glucose measuring strips today. Although measuring Ketone levels via urine is not accurate once the body is in full Ketosis it is ok while working towards it. Without specifically trying for Ketosis and just the lifestyle changes I have made since January, I am currently in the moderate range of Ketosis which indicates fat metabolism and weight loss.

I have been weighing it up (pun intended) and think I will give the Keto lifesyle (hate the word diet) a go. I need to find some literature that describes the amount of macro nutrients in foods by grams – being carbs, proteins and fats. Its really the carbs that i need to be aware of and then to a degree the proteins. What does worry me is the Keto Flu symptoms that can/will happen while the body shifts from using glucose for fuel to using ketone bodies from stored and daily eaten fats.

Well must be time to tuck Miss D into bed and then off to bed myself for some more reading. As always I welcome your thoughts and suggestions on keto and measuring macronutrients as this is totally new to me.

Just popping in quickly to give you this link Gday (and congrats on that nice reflection you get to see in the mirror!).
    https://www.reddit.com/r/keto/
    Reddit is a huge forum with thousands of subreddits for every topic you can think of (the 5:2 one is very quiet though). I haven’t read this one. Redditors tend to be young, American and male, but not exclusively, there is an enormous range of people and online communities. You might like to join the forum, but I thought you would definitely be interested in the info and links in the right hand margin. And you will see links to other subreddits there, like ketoscience.

I’m going to take my lack of mental acuity and go to bed! See you tomorrow Thin and all.

So wonderful to read your news each day! Aren’t you all just marvellous. I had a magic early pre dawn run this morning-I’m fully recovered from my Lismore Flood Cough now & just rugged up in a hoodie & rejoiced in the cool air. Such a treat after the cyclone – everything is dry & crisp. So good to eat again after my fasts this week. I will have to plan very carefully for fast days & stay stable now; my body is extra hungry on fast days just like the beginning when I gave up sugar 18 months ago. I reckon this is the trap or The Biggest Loser pitfall- my body loves overeating & I could easily slide back to 85 kilos. Have a fabulous Friday Southern Hemispherites!🌈🌝🌏

Oh thank you so much cinque that is fantastic. I will investigate the link on the weekend.

Ended up being colder then forecast this morning. Minus 2 on my back verandah thermometer. No wonder the pooch had her snout and eyes glaring at me this morning from behind the blanket which is drapped over her kennel door. I swear she was saying ‘please mummy let me inside’.
    Wasnt much warmer inside either couldn’t bear to get out of my pj’s, dressing gown, explorer socks and slippers to do a workout.

I guess im going to have to give in and put the heater on in the mornings now. The ridiculously high power prices here in SA certainly make one think twice about doing that though !!

Good morning everyone. It’s a tired grandma here. With the original mix up and then grandma duties I didnt manage a fast yesterday, so I completely missed out this week. I’ve eaten sensibly, but I am really looking forward to a fasty fast tomorrow.

Oh dear miss 2 is demanding a ride on the little bike outside. Brrr, but we might as well do it, I’ll finish this post later.

Viewing 50 posts - 11,451 through 11,500 (of 28,011 total)

You must be logged in to reply.