Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,902 replies, has 831 voices, and was last updated by  thinatlast 2 hours, 6 minutes ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 11,401 through 11,450 (of 28,006 total)

• Hi LJ, if your Asian grocer doesn’t know konjac, ask for konyaki. Just be careful they don’t try and sell you tofu but you might find it in the refrig. section with that. I thought the Slendier fettucine konjac was a pretty good substitute. You must rinse it very well to get the smell out. Some people find them a bit rubbery but I don’t mind the texture. These days I use my vegetti to make courgetti for Italian dishes. The only Slendier noodles I use now are the Angel Hair variety because I can’t slice the pond scum blocks thin enough to be a good substitute. I use that in the Spanish Fideos recipe which is so filling, 142 cals.

Since you sent through my numbers the other day, I seem to be a lot more aware before eating any ‘extras’. Asking myself, “is it worth it?”. Usually not. I’ve stayed at the low end of 60 all week. PerthGirl made a good point at coffee last week too – she said she never snacks but, if she wants nuts and so on, she adds those items to her lunch which has the twofold effect of eating less other stuff for lunch while reducing insulin spikes in the intervening hours.

Cinque, I for one, would like occasional updates on YamDaisy. I’ve never read a forum before, let alone contributed to one, so I don’t know how to behave properly but we all go off on tangents as we weave 5:2 into our daily lives. I don’t consider it disrespectful, I tend to skip over the paragraphs that are of less interest than others and assume that’s what everyone else does. The only time I’ve ever been offended on these pages is when people attempt to spam us (which hasn’t happened for a while thankfully).

Happy birthday to Craftboy!

Sorry Cinque, I know that you appreciate decent punctuation and I ran out of time to edit. s/b “I, for one,” 😆

LJ, this is what it says on the packet: コンヤキ he, he

thanks Thin – I don’t speak any Asian languages, only European ones so I’ll stick with asking for konyaki.
    I also use a spiraliser to create zucchini, carrot and potato strands as an alternative to spaghetti. Although I am also quite happy to just pour a pasta sauce over a mound of steamed or roasted vegetables. I find I rarely actually use normal pasta much these days – it’s become an eating out only dish for me these days.
    I think the reason I don’t like konjac as a pasta substitute is that the texture reminds me of rice noodles but it isn’t like a wheat pasta.
    After a bit of experimentation, my preferred way of treating them is to rinse and drain well and then put them into a non stick pan and dry fry for a few minutes so it releases the rest of the excess water – the texture is then dry enough that is will actually absorb sauces and flavours – if I leave out this step I always regret it as the dish doesn’t work as well.

Hi Southern Hemispherites,

A quick ‘hello’. I’ve been out of ‘fasting range’ for a week due to health reasons, just couldn’t do more than 6:1 over the past two weeks. Good thing is that I’m currently running within my goal weight envelope anyway, which I’m grateful for. I definitely did eat my way out the top end of that range over the time since I last wrote, though this WOL is very forgiving, thankfully.

Though my health has been an extra challenge I’ve done my best to continue to attend classes as often as possible and to continue with my assignments and I’ve also worked an extra day here and there, hence my absence on this forum.

I’m on the mend physically and looking forward to catching up with reading all the posts a bit later in the week.

Minka, I have been thinking of you and I was worrying that something was wrong. So sorry to hear of your health challenges and fingers crossed you are improving well. Well done for managing a bit of work and study!
    What a comfort to be nicely in your goal weight envelope. Good luck for the rest of the week, and all power to you!
    https://www.rodalewellness.com/sites/rodalewellness.com/files/articles/2016/06/get-well-floweres-1000.jpg

I hope you find your konjac block LJoyce, I’m doing a shop today too, my fridge is bare! Even my freezer is quite bare. That’s good! I’m going to buy ingredients for my second go at the mung bean stew (the first go was more successful than I originally thought!). Also more tenderloins for my fast days soups, hmmm, yes, I am writing my shopping list on this thread! Red face. But I am having my lovely fortnightly treat of shopping with my friend, after a coffee of course!

Thankyou so much Thin, I had to think about the issue re talking about my project. Apart from worrying about too much off topic stuff, I know there is a delicate balance between getting to know everyone’s interests and lives, which makes for rich friendships, yet on the other side it can be so daunting to new people to feel that they are coming into a group full of in jokes and in conversations. (Don’t mark my punctuation here please! 😉 )
    And if I am trying to make sure new people can find out what I am talking about, the best thing is to put the website address, but that really does feel like spam.

But here is a little YamDaisy update
    YamDaisy, which is mostly me, but I do have other people committed to help, want to set up cafes to make eating healthy food easy and affordable, especially for people with illness and disability.
    Just as we thought we could maybe start with a market stall, we got the opportunity to take over a cafe (really more a kiosk, there are no cooking facilities in it), that services a big community hub which has 400 workers in all the community organisations, and their clients. It is tiny, filled with scavenged equipment, and our landlord will be a big hearted shamble of a man! I It is 40 minutes away, has been run chaotically ie no record keeping, we have no money and I have health problems, but it is such an exciting possibility!
    So at the moment I am researching all we need to do to run the market stall, as well as trying to get the data to write a business plan for the cafe and being excited and frightened by turn! Meeting here on Saturday with key supporters to hopefully make some decisions!
    http://www.yamdaisy.com/

Day before fast day for me. Cold and rainy in Melbourne!
    Best wishes to everyone!

Thanks for the YamDaisy update Cinque. Don’t forget to look after yourself. Making new friends always involves making some effort to get to know the person, this is no different! And YD is all about nutritious eating so it couldn’t be more relevant! (Feeling a bit guilty going on about dolphins, lizards, DD, etc now!).

I, too, had been thinking about you Minka and wondering how you were. Pleased to have you back. Hi Merry and Intesha if you’re lurking out there.

The sun’s shining in Perth but it’s quite chilly in the mornings. Yesterday I walked 10km but in two separate 5km circuits. Fasting today but I can’t find any asparagus, it must be seasonal. I’m wondering what else will work with my poached egg & smoked salmon and only have the calories of 80gm of asparagus. I bet LJ will instantly come up with a substitute for me!

PerthGirl and PerthBoy will be loading their bikes on the plane and winging off to Europe. Not jealous at all.

No quite instantly Thin – I’ve only just gotten home from the city where I’ve been all day. Yes I do have some seasonal substitutes to asparagus that go well with eggs – lighly steamed brocollini (asian asparagus – the thin stalks with the long tender stems) or wilted baby spinach. Both of these are excellent with eggs and I routinely accompany an omelette with one of these veg on FDs. If I don’t want to have to cook the veg I choose nice cherry tomatoes – I find that if I buy roma cherry or grape cherry tomatoes I can get well flavoured ones all year round – the traditional round shaped cherry tomatoes I’ve found to be quite patchy in their quality unfortunately.

No Cinque I didn’t manage to find the block of konjac. There was a Korean grocer that looked promising, but as Wednesday isn’t a market day they were closed. (The central market is “open” Tu,Th,Fr,Sa, but on the other days about 75% of the stalls and shops still open and it’s much less crowded. I usually prefer to catch up with work colleagues for lunch there on the non-market days as it’s easier to get a table at the cafes and a spot in the carpark.

I had pizza for lunch! Now it was pretty small – about bread and butter plate sized, but I hadn’t had pizza for ages so I thoroughly enjoyed it. I ordered a tomato & mushroom pizza as I don’t care for the fatty meats that commonly get put onto pizzas. I happened to have just finished my fruit & veg shopping at the central market, so when my pizza arrived I fished my bag of baby spinach and bunch of basil out of my shopping bag and garnished my pizza with them – yum. I also offered them to the person I was having lunch with, but he was having a pizza with all of those fatty meats and he turned his nose up at the greens of offer.

Thin, with your recipies you reminded me of how long it’s been since I made chilli con carne, so I bought all the ingredients today to make a big batch for freezing. So I’m about to start chopping and stirring.

LJ, thanks for the ideas. In the meantime, I’d found some asparagus after my walk but happen to have some fresh spinach so have decided to try that for a change. I like broccolini too. I agree about the tomatoes.

I haven’t dared eat pizza for a very long time. I used to like hot salami meats on them but one thing I didn’t like on a pizza was chicken. It’s certainly a versatile ingredient but, in my opinion, does not belong on either pizza or in sushi. I don’t eat the latter often either and haven’t got around to making it with cauliflower rice yet.

Too bad about the konjac. But enjoy your chilli con carne. FD going well and I was 59.9kg this morning so here’s hoping for a photo opportunity on the scales tomorrow morning!

Hello, end of a fairly gentle day! I took your advice Thin, but hope I can get a lot done tomorrow!
    And Thin, you are my model for someone who manages that delicate balance of friendly, welcoming personableness! And I especially love hearing about the dolphins!

I had a lovely coffee and shop with my friend, and glad yours went well too, apart from the konjac block, LJ! And you make me hungry for exactly the sort of pizza you had!

Cheers to everyone, I hope it has been a good day!

Thank you Cinque, you’re very kind. Glad you had a lovely day. I’ve seen dolphins three times this week. The advice about looking after yourself was meant for the longer term – choosing the right venue for Yam Daisy, the one that will be easiest on you and your health.

The wilted spinach went perfectly with the poached egg and I can see why Bay and others choose this for breakfast.

After my last post, I checked all my milestone photos of ‘feet on scales’. I first started doing so when I got under 70kgs (66.9) and my last one shows 59.8kgs in September ’15. But what I hadn’t realised before was what a great record the photos provide of the formation of my bunion!

Hope everyone had a good day today, especially you GDSA.

Hello everyone,
    I have been a bit slack with my posting as of late but still following FD’s diligently. For some reason I haven’t been very good on NFD’s for the last week falling into old, old habits and missed out on the benefits of FD’s. I will have to get tougher on myself and get it sorted.

Cinque good to hear YamDaisy is still alive and kicking in you. Idea’s like that are like a volcano when in the development stage they may calm down for a bit and then erupt all of sudden with extra enthusiasm and vigor and roll on with no stopping it, devouring everything in its path. May have gone too far there but you never know it could be the next Boost juice or McDonalds.

Thinatlast you should report your dolphin and animal sightings. I don’t want to hear about little skinks but a blue tongue lizard, bearded dragon or goanna would be worthy. I love finding nature in unexpected places like cities or your backyard. I have a resident blue tongue who appears every six months or so.

Went out last night with the local chapter of The Beer and Beef club as a guest, my brother is a fully fledged member who goes monthly. Around 40 people last night at a local restaurant we are served a few hor d’oeuvres and then a main designed by the chef. It was at a french restaurant last night and we got wallaby rump (pretty good) with a beetroot risotto, broccolini and feta. Of course there are several different types of beer to try and enjoy. Good fun for $50 and normally a guest speaker from the local community on business, sport, etc.
    FD today and a round of golf shortly.
    Meals for last couple of FD’s:
    2 x white coffee’s 300kj, 500g minestrone soup 800kj, 100g kidney beans in the soup 400kj. Total 1500kj or 358cals.

The forum tells me Joffy has posted, but I can’t see the post!

Thanks for your lovely advice, Thin.

I do hope your dad got a lovely farewell yesterday Gday. My candle was alight. Sending more wishes.

I’m most of the way through my fast day. I had a little lunch of lettuce leaves, the small half of an avocado and a few olives, dressed with lemon juice. I looked up calories for the avocado: less than I expected!
    Still looking forward to my miso soup in a couple of hours!

I’ve had a good day. I hope everyone else has too!
    If not, hooray, a new day tomorrow.

I, too, didn’t have any luck seeing Joffy’s post, even on his own profile responses. I’ve reported it to JJ as I think there’s possibly a technical error. Enjoy the rest of your FD Cinque (and other Thursday fasters).

Hello all. It’s great reading everyone’s ideas for meals. I’ll have to look around for Konjak. It sounds like a great alternative to noodles. Thank you LJ, Thin and Cinque for the meal ideas.

I’m very excited about my purchase of a stationary bike for HIT at home. It should be arriving in the next few days and I can’t wait. The 15sec up-hill sprints during my lunch hour at work haven’t been working due to rain lately, so the bike will be great for that.

I also went for an overall check-up yesterday in the lead up to my birthday in 6 weeks’ time. Obviously my Jujitsu is helping because my resting heart rate was 54bpm. Very pleasing. Hopefully my grading this Saturday won’t be too taxing. I’ve yet to get the blood test done but I hope the various results are an improvement over my last ones,

FD yesterday was the first of this week and I have to say 5 days between fasts is too long for me. I was craving the simplicity of the FD. Not thinking about food is a great relief on FDs. Another FD tomorrow so looking forward to that also. We have Paniyiri (Greek food and wine festival) this weekend and will be there on Sunday for lunch so I’ll definitely need another FD on Monday.

Best wishes for Friday and the weekend to everyone.

Hi all. Thank you thinatlast and cinque and a second thank you cinque for lighting a candle in dads honour – what a lovely gesture. Dad had a lovely send off and I coped ok. Yesterday wasnt so good for me, Miss D returned to school and I was all alone in a quiet house.

Havent bothered with FD’s as such the last few weeks but have still been keeping a general low calorie intake with the exception of a few epic over indulging moments. Exercise has also gone out the window – will endevour to get back on track starting today.

There was enough red wine in the cask in the back of the cupboard for 2 glasses so i had them yesterday with lunch. I wont purchase any more as I felt so much better when not consuming alcohol, even in the smallest amounts.

Sleep has been all over the place. Only 4 hours Wednesday night and then 8 1/2 last night. My body is certainly feeling the effects of the last few weeks.

I have taken next week off work to re-synch myself, spend time in the garden, catch up with a few friends for lunch, reading etc and generally get myself back on track both physically and mentally.

Weight has been surprisingly steady at 67.1kg and BMI has remained at 25 so happy that neither have gone up of late.

Hi Thin and Cinque

I can see Joffy’s post, both on the thread and I received the email.

Good to read evyone’s supportive posts.

Cheers, Bay 🌺🌺

JJ confirmed there was a glitch in the site which has to do with posts getting mistakenly marked as spam. It’s happened before. She’s published Joffy’s now. If anyone posted before Joffy and it’s not showing up, you can ask her to fix it. We’re only aware of Joffy’s because his was showing as the most recent.

Good morning everyone,
    Completed FD and feeling fantastic and alive.
    My previous post must have missed the internet bus to the posting station as I made it run back to pick up some editing (wanted gaps in paragraphs) so when I posted it I saw the post then edited the spaces for the paragraphs and it disappeared and I remembered others speaking of this and it was when they had edited so I figured it will just be late appearing.
    I could not get soda water in the small bottles yesterday at two supermarkets in my town and it wasn’t even on special. Is everyone taking to having it instead of others drinks? Every other type of mixer was there except soda water. Yes there were big bottles but I like the little ones. I eventually got some sparkling mineral water which was suffice except for the plastic bottles.
    Another change to my FD meals yesterday was the adding of mushrooms to my soup as I had only 40g of beans left and heaps of mushrooms so I cut up four small or 40g (46kj or 11 cals) of mushrooms. Very nice addition and less kj’s I will change to this permanently.
    Meals for the day:
    1 x white coffee 150kj, 500g minestrone soup 800kj, 40g kidney beans 160kj, 40g mushrooms 46kj Total 1156kj or 276cals.
    Yep only one coffee and the mushrooms are like free food, add a lot of volume to the soup and taste great too.

Glad to see BOTH your posts Joffy. Marvellous mushrooms!

Hi Bay!

Craftgirl the HIT bike sounds great for winter! Goodluck with the next lot of bloodtests, sounds like they should make you happy!

Hi Thin!

Gday, I hope you have a gentle healing week, with lots of time in the garden. I am glad you are being so kind to yourself.

I am happy but exhausted. Granddot is having her bath so must rush. Might go to sleep when she does!

I had a good day after fast day, but I have a busy, social weekend, so might have to roll with the punches re Sunday fastday.

Best wishes all.

Love those mushrooms. All’s quiet on the Western Front lately. Hi Cinque, Joffy and the lurkers.

Hi all! …Just saying ‘hello’ and am poking my head in the thread and will respond with more lengthy writings when I catch up with all posts. I’m still a page and a bit behind. I fasted yesterday and am currently at the bottom of my goal weight envelope. Today weighed in at 56.1 kg.

Hi Minka, good to hear from you and great job with maintaining your low weight! It’s been a bit lonely here today without Cinque and other sometime Sunday fasters like Intesha but I managed! Looking forward to a nice low reading myself tomorrow morning. Right before a lovely, hot frothy coffee. Cinque, I hope you didn’t get punched too hard!

Good morning everyone. I had such a busy weekend. It would have been way too busy anyway, but somehow I did it with little miss 2 year old along too (current obsession: bubbles).

On Saturday we had the YamDaisy meeting and we are going to try and get the cafe going at the community hub in Dallas, Melbourne. SOOOOOOO much to do!

Then on Sunday we (my daughter and baby came too) had a lovely visit of three generations of friends. 6 year old Lucy, her wonderful mum who brought lunch, and her wonderful gran who had a series of strokes a couple of months ago. It was so good to see her, and she was amazingly good! Given how disabled people I know have been by a TIA mini stroke, Shirl is recovering quickly and managing really well. A good advertisement for basic health as she eats really well and is really fit and is in her 70’s.

So all power to all of us keeping as healthy as we can so we are in the best shape to cope with the misfortunes that may come.

Any way I gave up on Sunday fast day, which began with pea pancakes (trying to get veggies into the little one) and then the lovely pumpkin soup and wholemeal scones we had for lunch, and a couple of home made cheese biscuits.

But then when everyone went home and I had a bit of time and space to myself, I managed to eat a lot more cheese biscuits! Then I pulled myself together and made lots of cuppas and mungbean soup for supper.
    (Yes I made the mung bean stew again (for Saturday) and have decided it works best as soup! )

And deja vu, as I was wondering what to eat today, I realised it would be easy, and lovely, to make it a fast day. So the chicken is thawing for miso soup tonight.

So it is Monday morning, the sun is shining in a clear sky, I have a huge project to tackle (at the same time as recovering from that big weekend – I do feel a bit punched!). One step at a time.

Best wishes everyone. So glad to see your post Minka. Hooray for you! And Thin and Intesha getting your Sunday fast days done. Hi everyone else as well!

Hi All,
    Im from Brisbane QLD and starting today. I’ve just tipped over the 50’s in age and over 90’s on the scales and heard about this 5:2 program from my GP. It just appealed to me as i was so over counting “points” etc on other programs that are so expensive. I’m off work with fractured arm and i believe my weight contributed to the severity of the fracture when i tripped so that was my lightbulb moment! Im doing this on my own but my husband is very support and he has seen a work colleague loose 20kg on this diet. Lets begin….

Best wishes recovering from your busy weekend Cinque and a happy fast day to you. You have exciting times ahead planning your cafe again. At least most of the business plan and other foundation requirements are completed and you can adapt it to its new location.

Welcome Janenoz. You’ll have plenty of Monday fasting company. You haven’t asked for any advice but we tend to offer it anyway! Mine is to weigh and measure absolutely everything, calculate your TDEE & read Dr M.’s Fast Diet book before you do anything. Try to consider this a way of life rather than a diet. Some of us here met our goal weight some time ago but continue to practice 5:2 in maintenance. Ask us anything, there will always be someone who’s been where you’re going. Good luck with your first FD.

Good Morning everyone and Happy Monday Fasting to the Monday Fasters.

Welcome Janenoz! Thin has given you some excellent advice.

It’s good to catch up with most of the thread this morning. Saying hello to you all, Thin, Cinque, Joffy, Minka, especially Gday, and everyone else.

Gday, well done on getting through these last couple of weeks, and so good to hear your Dad’s send off went well.💐

Our household continues to be very busy, still dealing with some stressy stuff, and not always making the best food choices. I have yet to defeat the stress-induced “head for the simple carbs and sugar” response, dammit😖So my weight has jumped up to 64.9kgs at the beginning of today’s FD. 62kgs was my goal weight so I didn’t feel great putting that in the tracker this morning, but very glad to have a FD today. I also haven’t completed a couple of FD’s over the last few weeks which will have contributed to that figure. My health has slipped a little also, with so much happening, although overall I feel so much better now that I’m a normal weight. Oh so good to be a normal weight! Yay! Even 3kgs back over my goal weight I still feel normal, and that feels so good.

So good to have the SH thread here too. Thank you, all of you for your support, advice, knowledge and companionship along the way.

Onwards and downwards,
    Merry

Hi all, and welcome Janenoz. I have only been doing this a few weeks and still can’t seem to get my NFD’s under control ( managed to stay under 1300cals yesterday)I’m so inspired by all of you that have got to your goal weights and maintained it. I’m wondering how long it took you all to start losing weight ( not fluid) and how much you were losing approx per week? I am feeling more energized doing this and am now back up to walking my 6-8 klms per day without feeling exhausted half way through. I’m still struggling to sleep on FD’s but I can cope with this. I’ve had a couple bad weeks food wise due to funerals and traveling 4 hrs each way, not to mention the yummy food at the wakes! Merry I too struggle with stress eating and look for lollies so am trying to go for a short walk when the urge hits. Welcome to the Monday fast Day Cinque I find Mondays and Thursdays easier to do.GDay I’m pleased your dad had a lovely send off and that you have taken some time off for you!For all FD people today have an enjoyable one.

RedmoonMonica, hi again. I lost weight as soon as I started 5:2. A lot of people talk of steps and stairs but this wasn’t true for me. I steadily lost half a kg a week with two plateaus over a 12 month period. One was over the first Christmas as I continued eating and being merry on non-FDs just as I had in previous years but, through fasting, was delighted to have stayed the same weight by the January whereas I would have previously gained 3kgs over Christmas. The second was some months later and, at that point, I started listening to the people who’d been recommending cutting down on white carbs. This made a huge difference to me and kick-started my weight loss.

I have come to realise that everyone is different and this is not a one size fits all way of life. However, my own experience was fairly straightforward. I strongly believe in sticking to two set FDs per week. They can be changed of course but I feel that keeping to a routine not only helps me but helps the people around me accept my FDs. I also believe that rigidly adhering to FDs is key to 5:2 success. You must be able to master them before making other changes. As I lost my weight, the cruel reality of having a much lower TDEE set in and I began to eat a quarter of the TDEE for the weight I wanted to be, not the weight I was at the time.

As I say, these are my tips and others will have different ideas. I’m a fairly rigid person and I like to know what’s coming so planning is vital for me. I put a lot of effort into my FD menus when I started because my OH was doing it with me and he’s obsessed with food. I planned our meals one month in advance on a spreadsheet and once I had about 3 months’ worth, I could mix and match the meals.

At my worst I was 87Kgs. I reached my goal weight of 60kgs after about 12 months and have been maintaining that weight within 1kg since September 2015. I do this with 5:2 and 6:1 when I’m on overseas holidays. It is the first time in 30 years that I have been a stable weight. I can zip up my wedding dress (with me in it). I went from dress size 18 to size 10. I am thinner than my OH for the first time since we met. My knees don’t hurt now. I have a healthy BMI and low BP. I can do so much more. I look better, I feel better. I get a lot of compliments. I have learned to eat healthily and not to gorge myself. I continue to stuff up occasionally because I’m still the same person I always was and decades of old habits are hard to undo. It’s a work in progress.

I never feel deprived. I eat whatever I like. But 5:2 has shaped what I like ad how much I want to eat. I feel I can sustain this WOL forever. The support on this forum has been invaluable to me and I have made both real and cyber friends on this thread. Those of you who’ve discovered this in your 40s and 50s are so lucky. I had to wait until 58 to find something that worked. You can take control now and shape your future health and longevity.

Do you want this? Ditch the lollies and get those FDs sorted. You CAN do it! We’re here to support you.

*”what I like and how much”, sorry.

Thanks Thin, I lost weight the first time I did this 3 years ago so I know I can do it. You are a total inspiration to me to lose so much weight and stay with it! I feel I am now starting to go in the right direction with my NFD’s but I also don’t want to go down the deprivation path again as each time I do I go back to old habits only worse! I know that I can get back in control with the lollies and sweets without feeling deprived and already I’m starting to feel that I’ve eaten enough with food to spare.My TDEE is meant to be 1840 but I’d like to do 1500 until I lose some weight then maybe 1200 will see how I go. Congratulations on getting back into your wedding dress that’s awesome, my goal is to just get back into my “thin” clothes instead of my big fat clothes.Every one on here is so helpful and supportive, thanks all for all the advice and support. YES I CAN DO THIS!

Good attitude Monica. You’ll succeed. Don’t worry about the NFDs too much. I agree, you don’t want it to be like any other old diet. We’ve all been there. Get the FDs happening as a definite routine (OK funerals notwithstanding) and your NFD behaviour will be shaped without your even realising. And, as you say, you’ve done it before so you know you can make it work.

You don’t have to accept that workplace de-stressing lolly corner. Let them know it actually makes you more stressed to try and resist all that temptation and that you’d like an occasional head and neck massage in the workplace instead.

This WOL was touted as being able to eat what you want MOST of the time. I still believe in that. So, enjoy your NFDs for now and let the FDs do the talking. Eagerly awaiting news of your progress…….

Hi Thin, Cinque, Merry, Minka, Joffy and all others that have joined our wonderful forum. I have been MIA for awhile, have had demons chasing me and they made me put on 2kg in 8 weeks. Not too bad but I am so disappointed in myself. Still after all is said and done I have continued with my two FD’s and did yesterday as well. I think if I had of given up the FD’s completely the damage would have been a whole lot worse.

We all do this at our own pace but Thin and Minka when I read your weights I must admit I am envious of you. You are inspirations. Merry I feel for you as you know I am going through similar life challenges but don’t have your health issues which makes it harder for you.

I guess the fact that we are still posting must mean something and it certainly keeps me accountable to a certain degree. Hopefully I can start getting myself back into the zone.

Cheers everyone

Hello all. Im enjoying my time in the garden. Purchased 6 rose bushes which i planted in the front yard today, 2 of which will hold a special place in my heart….they are named ‘Loving Memory’and ‘Papa Meilland’.

Welcome to the new posters. My advice is to take on board everyone’s knowledge, experience and suggestions and by trial and error work out what best fits for you and your lifestyle. We are all different in every way and what works for one may not work for another. Thats why this forum is so good….so many different experiences to draw from.

I’m in the midst of experimenting. FD’s of Tuesdays and Thursdays have worked for me but I’ve also found a 36 hour fast easy and workable too. Reading Keto Clarity at the moment…very interesting indeed.

Looking over my Fitbit statistics for the last few months and my daily average calorie intake is between 500-900 cal and average calorie output is steady at 2300. Ive also found that once a month i escalate to an extra 1.5 to 2 kg literally overnight. So for that week i dont stress too much about the scales !!

Hello all and welcome Janeoz. I hope your first FD went well and you felt good about it.

As others have said, it’s an individual journey and I’m sure you’ll get heaps of ideas if you hit a snag or have a question. Everyone here is very supportive and there’s stories of successes and challenges so you’ll never feel alone.

This weekend was a blowout eating wise with the Paniyiri festival (celebrating all things Greek). I tried to stick to good choices – lamb skewers and tzatziki, BBQ baby octopus, haloumi, dolmades – but the galaktoboureko (not sure of spelling) called to me like a siren. I woke up this morning feeling a bit stressed about it until I remembered that idea of really planning and enjoying a treat. Well it was kind of planned and I did very much enjoy it, so although the scales showed a 1.5kg gain this morning I decided to own the decision to eat it and look at it as my planned treat. NFD today but FD tomorrow so really looking forward to that.

Been reading Wheat Belly. Interesting read although a bit scary. Had courgetti spaghetti tonight for the first time and I think that’ll be my new spaghetti on pasta nights. It’ll be a hard road to remove all wheat from my diet but hopefully worth it.

Cheers to Thin, Cinque, LJ, Gday, Minka, Merry, Intesha, Joffy, Redmoon and all other SHs. Hope your Tuesday is a good one. 🍁🍁🍁🍁🍁🍁🍁

Good morning everyone,

Welcome Janenoz! How did you go yesterday? Is your fractured arm the one you use mainly, I hope not! Lovely to have you on this journey. Hopefully you will find 5:2 works for you nicely, to lose weight and improve your health. It has been one of the most positive things to happen in my life!

LJoyce, where are you? I do hope you are ok!

Thankyou Thin, I was pleased with how I felt yesterday, and managed the day well, but I forgot it catches up with me the day after! I am having a slow morning.

Fast day yesterday was excellent, and I loved waking up this morning feeling light and empty.

Merry so good to see your catch up post. Well done for keeping in your healthy weight envelope, and fingers crossed you can manage to get through without your health slipping too much more. More fingers crossed hoping the stress will start easing off soon!

Redmoonstar, so sorry to hear of the funerals, it must be a hard time. Well done keeping on with fast days and wakeful nights.
    I’m no good answering your question because I wasn’t weighing myself while doing 5:2 but I remember just noticing my clothes get comfortable, and then loose. I know it isn’t just water you are losing to start with, the water is bonded with the glycogen so it is all part of the proper weight loss.
    I hope it was a good Monday Fast Day yesterday and fingers crossed you had some sleep last night!

Chapter 2! 😉

Intesha, it sounds like an awful couple of weeks! How I wish I could send you a ticket to fly off to some part of the world you are hanging out to see!
    Since I can’t, I hope you can find something really lovely you can do for yourself this week. Keep on keeping on.
    2 kg would be just part of the normal up and down, wouldn’t it be? If you can just get a good run with some nice fasty fast days and easy NFD’s, maybe it will be gone in another two weeks. I’ve got so many fingers crossed now I can hardly type!

Gday, planting roses is such a wonderful thing to do, and “loving Memory’ and ‘Papa Meilland’ are a beautiful commemoration.
    Wow, do you eat less than 900 calories on a non fast day?

Craftgirl, a wonderful Greek festival sounds like the BEST planned treat! Galaktoboureko Ooooh yummy!
    I’m not into the Wheat Belly stuff, but I bet you have fun with those zucchini noodles.
    Thanks for the good wishes! Back at you!

And good wishes to everyone else! It is a grey, cold Tuesday here, but I am having my morning coffee and a yummy breakfast and I have good work to do!
    Cheers all!

PS Just reread Chapter 1. Needed editing. Forgive grammar, word use etc! Hope it made sense.

That’s what comes of having so many fingers crossed! 🙂

Hi all, I did sleep for 4 hours straight last night on FD so that’s a start! I am averaging 600-650 cals on FD and planning to get it down around 500, I know some of you are under 400 but as my sleeping isn’t the best I will gradually try and get down. GDay those are both beautiful roses, I also bought Loving Memory for my friend when she lost her son ( he was 17) it’s really beautiful and you see it each day. If you are averaging 500-900 cals per day how many do you eat on a NFD? Do you feel deprived at all and how long did it take you to get down so low? I also had a fitbit and log my calories on MFP, I found with my wrist based fitbit it added lots of steps (therefore more burnt cals) for wrist movement ie: washing dishes, cooking, folding clothes etc.It also added 1000’s of steps when driving in the car. I now have a Garmin and find it doesn’t add steps (some but not many) for driving and wrist movement. I also try not to go to much on what it tell me I have left to eat although some days I know I have gone over and just ignore it! Glad you enjoyed your fast day yesterday Cinque and are enjoying the morning.I have to say again all of you, Thin, Merry, Gday, Cinque, LJoyce, craftgirl & Intesha (sorry if I missed anyone)are inspirations and show the rest of us that this is a working WOL and can be easily maintained and if you lose track can get back on. Janenoz I hope your first FD went well and you slept last night and feel great today. Thank you again to everyone for the advice I am taking it all in and implementing a little each day ( or trying) hope everyone has a fantastic day whether fasting or eating!

Hi SHs,

I haven’t been ignoring you – I’ve just been without internet access since Wednesday night. My neighbour’s tree lost a limb and it ripped my phone/internet cable out of the stoby pole on it’s way down. It’s taken a while for Telstra to finally fix it.
    You don’t realise how much you use your internet connection until you don’t have it for a few days.

GDSA – glad to hear the funeral service went well and so pleased to hear you are planting a rose memory garden. I did something similar when my dad died – I planted an ANZAC rose in his memory. I think planting something that is living helps somehow.

I’m on a FD today. Like Joffy, I’ve had some trouble controlling my eating on the NFDs lately. I’m not sure why, although I know cold weather is a contributing factor. Last week I’ve been concentrating on appetite and trying to use it as a rational control for whether I eat something. Some days it works and some days it’s a spectacular flop.

Very quickly – 64.0 kg today, day after FD. Doing that “what goes on quickly comes off quickly”. Down 0.9, almost a kg. BMI 22.4, TDEE 1446. Next FD is Thursday.

Happy fasting to the Wednesday fasters tomorrow.

Onwards and downwards,
    Merry

Morning all, I’m doing an FD today as I have to go away tomorrow my normal FD and will be catching up with a friend and want to be able to enjoy it and not thinking about the fact I can’t eat. Hope everyone has a fantastic day!

Redmoonstar, so glad you got that 4 hours sleep, I know from my insomnia that a straight four hours can be very welcome. Let’s hope it is 5 hours tonight! Enjoy today’s fast day, and your time with your friend tomorrow!

LJoyce, so glad your computer is fixed! I hope your non fast days settle down soon. I was complaining just as you have, and then suddenly it has all gone right again. Hoping it is a long roll for me this time!

Nice work Merry!

It is a lovely morning here, although I’ve got the morning news on and it made me cry.
    Hoping everyone has a good day, fasting or not fasting, enjoying every mouthful of the food you have, and enjoying the times between.

Fasting Wednesday. What’s for dinner Redmoon? I’m having Spanish Fideos, 142 cals.

Good to have you back Intesha and Merry and hoping you will have time to post often but, if not, it’s good to know you’re still with us in spirit. You’ll have those extra kgs off soon.

Hi Craftgirl, Cinque, GDSA & LJ. And Minka & Joffy and anyone else out there. What about you Lady Salsa, how are you going? Hope it’s a good day for all.

Thin what’s in your Spanish Fideos and how do I make them. I generally have either scrambled eggs or an omelette on fast days as the eggs are filling. I am trying only having coffee during the day and one meal in the evening to see if it helps with my sleeping. I also have veggie soup with me in case I need food. LJoyce I am slowly getting down to where I want to be on NFD’s as I to struggle to control my eating on NFD’s and I know the cold certainly doesn’t help as I’m always looking for something warm to eat! I am hoping to get to not eating till the afternoons on NFD’s as once I eat food I just keep going! Merry I can lose 1.4kgs on after a FD but after the NFD’s I’m back up to same or maybe 100grms less. I have lost around 1.6kgs from where I started I think so hoping once I get the NFD’s under control I should lose each week. Have a good one everyone!

For the first time since I started this, I had a failed FD. I had to be up early yesterday and by lunch time I was hungry, so I ate an eggwhite & spinach omelette. By mid afternoon my appetite was so strong I gave in and decided to move my FD to today. This morning started better – I slept in (always a helpful start to a FD) and have so far just had a cup of tea – no appetite at all yet. I’m definitely more in the mood for a FD today.

I’ve been trying to exert a lot more control over food on my NFDs and I think the overflow from that was yesterday’s rebellion – too many days where I was trying to control what I ate and not enough days where I had freedom.

Hope everyone is having a good day.

Redmoon, the recipe for the Spanish Fideos is on the first page of our SH thread recipe page here: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/southern-hemispherites-fd-recipes/
    Slendier brand’s Angel Hair is conveniently packaged for 2 portions but is quite expensive. Alternatively, you can buy konyaki noodles at your Asian grocer for a fraction of the price. Or buy a block of konjac and slice it thinly yourself if you can be bothered. The good things about this dish are that it’s baked in the oven, feels hearty and warming, is filling and, as the konjac has virtually no calories, it’s like ‘free food’! (As Joffy recently described his mushrooms).

I agree that eggs are really satiating and a great FD food. And many of us have found that it’s best to hold off eating as long as possible to avoid waking the ‘hunger dragon’. Going to bed hungry is terrible.

Better luck with today’s fast LJ, I’m with you.

Thanks Thin,
    Unfortunately I live in a very small country town and don’t have access to angels hair or konjac. I do have to go to a larger town tomorrow but it doesn’t have an Asian grocer either, I will have to do some research. it will be eggs tonight!

Answering to Cinque and redmoonstar on my low calorie intake.

When i started FD earlier this year i averaged an intake between 1500 to 2500 per day with minimal exercise. I was active but didnt do any high intensity exercise or anything other than taking the pooch for a walk a couple of times a week.

Ive found the longer ive been monitoring my food intake and high intensity exercising for 10 to 15 mins a day the less hungry i have felt. If i have a brekky of 3 eggs, spinach and a slice of rye then i can go the rest of the day without eating and then have a small serving of veg or soup for tea. I dont feel deprived at all in terms of intake but feel satisfied as i no longer feel the need for the standard 3 meals a day.

Im finding of late that 2 meals a day is enough for me. I have never been one to snack between meals and by giving up alcohol ive also lost the empty calories of 2 glasses of red per day.

I would rarely eat any processed food. I eat full fat foods, no sugar at all and keep white flour products to an absolute minimum.

As i said in an earlier post i have lost 6-7kg this year but have plateaud the last month due to stress with my dad and not really trying too hard. Even though i havent lost much the last month i havent gained either so still happy with where I’m at.

Im still not 100% sure where to go at the moment. Stick with 5:2, do a 36 or 48 hour fast once a week or even give Keto a go ? Its all trial and error and working out which one fits me and my lifestyle. Im just taking in as much info as i can and run with what i think is best.

Looking to find a yoga class but not liking my chances being in a small town. Does anyone else do yoga?

Hi Redmoonstar – most larger supermarkets seem to stock some version of the konjac noodles. If the larger town you are going to tomorrow has a Coles supermarket then there are 2 places to look for konjac. In the health food or gluten free isle you may find the Slendier brand konjac noodles. However Coles also usually stock a cheaper option – it’s called “Changs Super Lo-Cal Wok-Ready Noodles” and it is shelved with the other Asian noodles – nowhere on the front of the packet does it say konjac, but this is what they are made of.

Something that seems to be helping me get through the cold afternoons at the moment is a cup of hot chocolate. It seems to satisfy me where a pot of tea just doesn’t. I make it with unsweetened almond milk, powdered cocoa/cocao and stevia – a large mug is about 250kj (60cals) and I can often even fit this into a FD when I need to.

FD still going well – just had my first food for the day – a banana and I don’t feel like anything else yet. I have a large bowl of vegetable and lentil soup waiting for dinner and enough calories spare for a boiled egg too, if I need it.

Cinque, thank you for your lovely words, it warmed my heart.

Second FD tomorrow. Still eating a little too much but less than the past few weeks. Hopefully will get back into the zone soon.

Well done Merry. If it’s one thing we have learnt from the WOL it’s never give up. We have our bad days, weeks and months but I personally have found that if I stick to my FD’s as much as I can the damage is not catastrophic.

It’s my granddaughters birthday next week and she has asked for a Dolly Varden cake so I will be cooking madly. I’ve also recently done an enchanted cupcake course so I have been making rainbows, unicorn horns and mermaids out of gum paste to decorate the cakes with. I’m really enjoying my new hobby and wish I could just get lost in it but unfortunately other things take precedence.

Cheers for now.

Thank You LJoyce I will be going to Coles to get some. Thank You Thin for the link to the recipes I’m going through them now! have a good night everyone and a great day tomorrow!

Viewing 50 posts - 11,401 through 11,450 (of 28,006 total)

You must be logged in to reply.