Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,907 replies, has 831 voices, and was last updated by  thinatlast 5 days, 11 hours ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 6,051 through 6,100 (of 28,011 total)

• Helen – I have been on this forum for just over 2 weeks I think and got some really good hints and tips. One of them was the MyFitnessPal app. I am using it religiously now as you can surf the web for calorie calculations, put in your own recipes, keep a record of your favourite foods as well as keep a record of your calorie intake each day without having to do the hard head work and add it up yourself. It took me a couple of days to work it out but I watched the help video and from then have been hooked. Hope this is what you are looking for. ….JJxxx

Here it is and now 3pm in the afternoon in FNQ. NFD for me today. Did the shower thing this morning and did not work!!! but took daughter to school and washed dishes before weighing myself again and yes all is good. Did not loose any weight from yesterday, but with my second weigh in I was the same 78.6 and happy as!!! Still under those eighties.
    hope everyone of FD today has a good one!!!

…..JJxxx

Thin – Just found Kikkoman low salt soy sauce at woolworths online store 600ml for $8.15.
    ….JJ xxx

Hi Everyone.

Welcome to our newbies Coast & Helen. You’re on your way! It might take a week or two to get your head around how things work and get used to FDs, but from then on its pretty easy. I actually find it easier in summer because salads are your friend! Regardless, even when its cold and chilly there are lots of easy foods to have. Try Thin’s cauliflower soup (recipe is a couple of pages back) its delicious and really lo-cal. Also Miso soup is a great standby that you can add all sorts of vegies to. Take a look at Slendier noodles in the health section of woolies & coles. They are made from konjac (a vegetable) and are less than 10 cals a serve. Love em! Stick with it – this really does work and stay on the forum for support – it really makes a difference.

Hi Bay. Enjoy yourself in sunny Croatia..we loved it. We are you exactly?

Welcome back Intesha. 78.1 sounds pretty good to me after all of those treats. Bet your enjoying yourself and having the family around for another few weeks must feel great.
    Nik – If your teeth stay really sensitive, maybe try sensodyne toothpaste, apparently its pretty good.
    Thin & EA – I had the cookie and it was delish!!!
    CM xx

Thin (and others)thank you for your support and wishes in my running the 10k Run Melbourne! I am only now catching up on the plethora of posts and the booming newbies on Southern Hemisphites! I completed the 10k,not in record time but just the fact I’m ‘back on the road’ is a huge accomplishment for me.. Thanks be to MM and my own perseverance.. Could not have done it carrying another 18kilos around..I figure I will register (officially) for a run every 3 months or so to keep focus then I just HAVE to do it! Following that, we had visitors from WA her for a week (birthdays) so fell off the 5:2 bandwagon .. Back on again as I know this works! Thin, I loved what you said about ‘Intellectualising’ about why you overate but never being able to overcome it..how true .. So perseverance and belief will get you there in the end to those just starting on the 5:2 road!

Hi everyone I’m way behind and can’t catch up this morning but I did want to reply to JJulie to reassure you that longer fasts are the basis of dr Jason fung’s intensive dietary management. He is reversing people’s diabetes and has people on 7, 14 and much longer fasts with just water, coffee and bouillon. I’ve done a 4 day fast but would have to psych myself up again. I wasn’t that bad though!!! It’s all about the body repair mode and lowering insulin and blood sugar levels. I think the b2b fasts still mix it up enough to keep your body revving nicely. Currently have been doing 24 hour and a 36 hour fasts with a bit of fat in the form of coconut oil, avocado and cream cheese. I’m a low carb high fat convert! Being diabetic makes it all a bit slower for me but the combo of approaches is working. If only I hadn’t reached 57 years old befor finding out! I’d better live a long time to really enjoy this!
    Thin and cm, here’s to another coffee catch up when life allows. I think of you often.
    Good luck everyone here. X

Morning all you wonderful 5:2ers!

Yabba Dabba Dooo I’ve hit the 62’sssss….she said quietly (ok, maybe not so quietly) leaping around the bathroom. Got up early (OH still asleep-but not for long!) cos I had a little feeling that today might be the day. Now 62.7 with 8.1kg gone! Soooo happy, and this was a major goal for me….almost to wriggle room/maintenance.

So to all our newbies, you can see that this CAN be done. Like so many on our thread, I’ve been overweight since I was a kid, yoyo dieting all that kind of thing. I was never really big, but always around 10kg too heavy because as a shorty 165cm, it not so easy to carry it off. I don’t enjoy exercising….the sweaty, jumping around type, but my beautiful Charlie has helped drag me out walking every morning and most aftns, which I now really enjoy.

So, thank you, thank you, to everyone on here. There’s no question that I would not be here without your hints, tips, support and friendship. A special mention to Thin…..you’ve got no idea how much of this I owe to your support & guidance. Thanks mate!

So, happy Friday everyone. I hope you all have a great weigh-in and a fabulous Friday. Love youse all! CM xx

CM, I started off laughing out loud as I began reading your post and by the end of it, I have tears in my eyes. SO HAPPY for you and thank you for your lovely words. You’re a huge asset to this forum, well actually just a small asset now. Well done, you totally embraced 5:2 and it was always going to work for you. Cookies, whiskey ‘n’ all. She looks fabulous everyone.

Freya, love it when you post. It’s my turn to travel so let us know when we can catch up for coffee in your patch. Hope the first Friday back at work goes alright for you today. I’m with you – too bad we got to our late fifties before we discovered this.

HIA – congratulations on finishing the 10km. What an achievement and with 18kgs less of you to jog along.

JJulie, thanks for the SS info and great that the 80s are a something of the past for you now.

Well, while we’re all so upbeat, I’ll finish on a happy note too, new PB of 61.6kgs this morning.

Congratulations CM 🙂 and well done everyone else. Have a top weekend folk. P

Missed your posts Hoot & Freya. Hoot, I’m in awe of runners & huge congrats to you for completing it & committing to running regularly. 18kg down. Go girl!

What I love about 5:2 is we can go on hols, celebrate birthdays or have visitors & know that we just jump back on the wagon when life is back to normal. With the mental changes it provides, we eat better anyway so getting back on track isn’t a huge task. We can still enjoy our lives! What a great Way of Life…..thanks Dr M!

Freya, I’m on for a coffee too! Glad you’re feeling better now & sorry that you’re working again on Fridays.

Thin, PB yay for you I’m yabba dabba doping for you too. Like making you laugh! Shhhh….don’t tell on me!! x
    ….& while I’ve been typing this others will have posted OMG! CM xx

Woo hoo Well done CM. That is fantastic news. I am so excited for you.

And Thin, well done on your PB as well.

You two are massive inspirations.

HIA – wow, if I break out into a little jog to the post box, I’m pleased with myself!! Congratulations on your run

EA xxxx

What a happy bunch of posts today… and I’m going to add to it! At this morning’s weigh in I was simply BEAMING!!!! With my experimentation with longer fasts I went down 2kgs, so officially after 3months and 1 week – 8.3kgs gone…. I want to have lost 10kgs for my holiday the 1st week of Sept, so just focusing on that goal for now.

Freya – I started researching longer fasts and the first time I did it, was so amazed. (that i could and that it wasn’t too hard) I’m just having drinks (only having milk in the one I have for tea) and trying 36/40hrs. The sites talked about curing skin conditions and all sorts with longer fasts but I’m not planning on going any longer than what I’ve tried, and not every week.

CM – thanks – I am using a Pro Sensative toothpaste, but teeth were in a super sensative state till this morning, I’ve researched the fruit teas and it’s documented quite a lot about their damaging effect on teeth. So I’m back to jasmine green tea and chamomile today and they’re slowly coming back to normal. and hey… well done on cracking the 62s!!! Yahoo!

Hoot – so well done on the 10km run. I felt so chuffed getting up to 5km the other day.. perhaps in another year I might make 10km…..

Well done on the PB, Thin! Grand effort!

Nik, another great result. Wow, that a big loss in a short time….you must have been really determined. Well done you and I’m sure you’ll make your goal. I didn’t know fruit teas could actually damage your teeth….better off without them then, I guess. There are so many herbals out there anyway, I enjoy mixing it up a little…or if you’re so inclined you could start growing something in the herb patch and making your own little concoctions! Lots of ideas online.

There must be something to this longer fasting window. I might give it another try…although I find it so difficult missing bfst with OH scoffing his! Any tips?

Freya & EA, how are you both now? Feeling 100% or still got some of the dreaded lurgy hanging around? Miserable kind of day today?

OH & I are just back from the doctors for his final checkup of that leg wound. Finally, its pretty good & no more dressings needed – he really made a mess of it. It happened during our last coffee meetup….so think I’ll just have to lock him up next time we get together, just in case!

Hi everyone

Just introducing myself and participating in the forum so I can stop boring everyone I talk to about this new diet I’m on!

I’m 2 weeks in, 4 FD’s and have lost 3.5kgs, which is friggin’ amazing. There’s a lot more to lose though.

FDs haven’t been too hard EXCEPT last Monday after a boozy roast dinner with friends the night before. I now realise that being even a little hungover on a FD really hurts without being able to have my bacon and egg roll, large OJ and a caffe latte in the morning.

Hopefully i can stick with this. Everyone’s stories are so inspiring.

HI there Big Col and welcome to the nut house. Not really. I get a lot eye rolling when 5:2 comes up at home so, yes, better that you have a yak with us about it. Although, you’ll probably find your friends will be more than interested to learn more as that weight continues to drop off you. Good job so far. Please do tell us a bit more about yourself, especially where you’re located because us west coasters are always looking for new coffee recruits.

Thanks all, pleased Mr CM is all better. Maybe you should bring him along next time…..

That’s great news Nik. You’re on track for your 10 kgs goal – where are you going on your hols? Didn’t know about the herbal teas – another thing to investigate.

thanks thinatlast.

I’m in Melbourne, so no coffee catch ups!

I’m 47yo and started at a weigh-in of 99.5kg (this morning I was 96kg) which puts me in the obese BMI. I was kind of shocked to find that i was “obese” rather than just overweight. Obese sounds so horrible.

I share an office space with a friend who told me about 5:2 He’s one week ahead of me. We share the FDs together, so that makes lunchtimes easy.

Still trying to get a grip on what I can eat and how best to manage things. I nailed it yesterday. I ate a banana at 11:30am. At 6pm I had salmon (baked in the oven) and a greek salad (with fetta) and that had me around 450 calories for the day – and i was full. That was good day. I had about five black coffees and a dozen cigarettes though (which is substantially more than i usually have).

Hi Big Col, yeah we’re all totally sane here!! Its great that you have a buddy to keep you company with 5:2. Good luck!

Ok, here’s another one for this wet cold drizzly Friday…I think that’s why Thin is around today. Not torturing the mutt with one of her 5km walks! Has anybody used turmeric milk or golden paste? It looks really fascinating and now that we use milk kefir, I’m looking at other good things to use. Apparently its a great anti-inflamatory/anti-bacterial and I’m thinking about using it for painful hands due to a bit of arthritis – thanks to my Mum! Also supposed to be healing for all sorts of other things and makes a great face mask too! Bonus…its used a lot in ayuvedic medicine. Any comments?? CM xx

Good for you for making this change in your life Big Col. It takes a while to figure out how to manage both FD and NFD foods and we’re all responding to this in different ways but it sounds like you’ve already worked out that protein is your friend on FDs. As you’re already dropping weight quickly, it takes the pressure off worrying about what to eat on the NFDs for the immediate future while you get adjusted. In time, you might find you no longer want those big roast dinners but, for now, it’s whatever gets you through the FDs and past the first goal into the 80kgs range. If you and your friend haven’t already done so, it’s well worth reading Michael Mosley’s 5:2 book, The Fast Diet. In the meantime, everyone on here will be happy to try and answer any questions you have, cheer you on and support you when things don’t go quite to plan – which happens to us all sometimes.

CM, I haven’t heard of that turmeric milk. Take photos once you have it on your face. I’ve already walked the dog, dodged a few showers, and then been tortured by OH enjoying the full breakfast fry up. Has Charlie had his walk?

Congratulations CM and Thin, you are my heroes.

My daughter has made some kefir for me she used raw sugar, mint leaves and a quarter of a lemon. She usually puts in dried mango. It tastes a little like ginger beer. How do you make yours?

Great to see more and more newbies joining the mad bunch.

Only lost 100 gms after my FD but hopefully will see better results tomorrow

CM, this photo and description of turmeric milk warming on the stove top makes it look & sound very enticing.
    http://nutritionstripped.com/turmeric-milk/
    Yeah, you’re too funny CM. I’m going to do some housework.

Hey Intesha, good to hear from you. A loss is a loss and you’ve been distracted so you’re doing fine. Re: kefir, are we talking about the same thing? CM kindly gave me my starter grains and I’ve already passed some on to a neighbour. http://www.yemoos.com/faqmmain.html

Ha! Everyone wants to be a comedian!!! No face-mask photos going on here thank you! No Thin, the Hairy One has not been for walkies today cos he’s tucked up in bed….poor baby is cold! Will try later if this weather clears. Here’s a link to Golden Paste http://www.turmericlife.com.au/ Its really interesting and thought you might like something ELSE to read up on, now I’ve got you onto kefir! Your OH is gonna kill me! I’m going to the organic shop this aftn to try and find some turmeric powder to get me started. I’ll probably have orange fingernails when I see you next. x

…I knew you wouldn’t be able to resist!!!!! Gotcha!

It could be “water kefir” that Intesha’s daughter is making. Thin, the grains look more translucent/clear than the milk kefir grains we use – our’s look like little cauliflower florets, Intesha. You can’t ferment water kefir with milk or vis-versa. You can look water kefir up too Thin, as you don’t seem to be busy this arvo! Knowing you, you already have!

Hey Intesha…awww, nobody’s ever called me a hero before, thank you. But compliments won’t stop us dosing out a free kick-in-butt if you need it!! Joking… Yep, I agree with Thin. Don’t stress about 100gm, you’re still down and my FDs don’t normally take effect on the scales until the day after. It will take a little while to get back into a routine again so don’t knock yourself out…OK? That sounds like a Mojito…. mmmmm, not a FD today….might have to try one! CM xx ….and now I will be quiet.

Hi all
    We have milk kefir every day. Mr P feels it is the main reason his various stomach complains have settled and he is able to consume almost anything.
    I had read about the great things turmeric does, too, CM. I bought turmeric root and keep it in the freezer. I grate it into food when I’m cooking. Warning though, it REALLY stains chopping boards. 🙁 P

Thanks Purple. Yes milk kefir has helped my OH too – diverticulitis. Hasn’t had any problems for ages since we swapped from Yakult (ridiculously expensive & sugary) to kefir. I also feel good as well. I’m going to make some turmeric Golden Paste and try it. Good idea using the fresh stuff to grate into dishes. Thanks, will make sure I’m careful with the staining issues too. Will let you know how it goes.

Wow I have just finished reading all the posts on here since I last logged in.

Firstly, I would like to congratulate all who have posted great losses today after yesterday’s FD. I am so pleased for all of you. It seems that so many people had a good FD. I am a little jealous of course but really feel happy for you. Well done!!

Secondly, Welcome to the newbies. I only new here too but in the last 2-3 weeks have had so much support and help you will soon learn that the fasters on this forum are dedicated to support you with any question you may come up with, so dont be shy, ask away.

I am going to post this now as I had a long post before then lost it!

Thin – I went shopping today and found the low salt Kikkoman soy. 600ml $8.00 in Coles (a little cheaper than woolworths) dont think the 200ml bottle is worth it at $5.00 or more!

Also wanted to mention PONZU. This is a Japanese salad dressing made of soy and citrus. It is low in calories and tastes really nice. I usually buy something similar when in an area of Japan on Kyushu Island. It is made from Kabotsu citrus where Ponzu is made from Yuzu citrus. Unfortunately this Kabotsu can not be bought in Australia so If you are wanting to try it Coles had on special for $1.50 a bottle today.

So today I woke up with a sore throat and had been coughing most of the night. Decided on having another FD as only have to put liquid down the throat, so far so good.

This cough is very chesty so I have to watch myself as last year ended up with pneumonia while my husband was overseas. Doctor wanted to put me in hospital as it would not budge and I had partially collapsed lung. Ended up in bed for a fortnight with my eldest daughter looking after the younger one. Dont want to do that again!!
    Weight today was still under the 80’s so still happy!! Did not do the multiple weigh ins today.

Hope everyone has a great weekend…………JJxxxx

Hi CM – yes I am better now thank you and enjoyed being back on the 5:2 this week. Well, sort of enjoyed it. I wouldn’t go that far. It was okay. What I really enjoyed was getting back to my weight (more or less) before I had my break. So it’s all good. I am hoping not to feel so hungry next week though but the good news is I didn’t get “beginners headache” again.

I’m glad your hubbys leg is better.

Welcome Big Col and congratulations on your weight loss to date.

Pulverized Chicken soup for dinner tonight as the hubby has toothache, so he doesn’t have to chew. I’m good like that.

Have a good weekend everyone.

With our Cherry Blossom theme in mind I will give you the recipe for Yakitori (grilled chicken)

2 x Chicken skinless breast cut into bite size pieces
    Bamboo skewers
    1/2 cup soy sauce
    1/4 cup mirin wine
    about 1 inch of grated ginger (or one tablespoon of grated ginger from a jar)
    2 cloves crushed garlic (or one tablespoon of crushed garlic from a jar)

Thread the chicken onto the bamboo skewers. you can also add sping onion pieces or mushrooms if you want to.

marinate in the soy. mirin, ginger and garlic.

cook on BBQ grill or in frypan.

calories will depend on the weight of the chicken and which soy sauce/mirin you use.

Hope you enjoy!!

Hi team SH,

just want to thank Hilary, Thin, Nik, EA, for their supportive words. I probably wont be logging in every day as I have exams looming.

CM, Congratulations!! that is brilliant work. so exciting for you and for me to hear how well you can do on this programme. Yayy.

Any tips on how you get through those munchy moments even on a normal day? What do you find are the best snacks. I am trying to delay my reactions with thoughts, or dancing around or similar but sometimes that urge is so strong. Anyone identify with that?

have a nice weekend every one 🙂

Hi Coast

Drink lots of water. If necessary put a slice of lemon or lime in it. Remember to rinse afterward and swallow the plain water to prevent damage to teeth. Don’t drink anything with sugar or sweetener in it. That also seems to start the munchies off. By the afternoon if still feeling very munchie minded, then I would eat a fresh apple. Or some raw carrots or celery.

Cheers, Bay 🙂

Congrats on all the PBs coming through. Well done, Thin and all. 😆 Bay

Hi everyone. I have just stumbled on this thread. I have toyed with 5:2 but am committing to it starting Monday. I have researched and read everything I can lay my hands on and this gets the nod hands down. I am on the Gold Coast.

I’ve let my hair down for the evening after a good weigh in, so back on the horse tomorrow – though with sleet/snow predicted and a high of 6, prob no exercise outdoors.

CM – I love turmeric milk and usually make it when I have a sore throat – from this web site http://arunshanbhag.com/2009/06/05/turmeric-milk/

I have a fibre drink most mornings (but less now as don’t do it on FDs) and I put in chilli powder and turmeric, just for the health benefits I’ve read about.

Thin – we’re heading over to Sunshine Coast, and watch the temps thinking 20+ will be well lovely!!

Oh my goodness, this forum is crazy… Crazy good! Congrats to everyone who had achievements this week, so many did, it’s heartening and inspiring 😀 Every time I mean to congratulate though, there are so many new posts I get bogged down in all the reading, haha.

Welcome to the new newbies too, Col, I can totally sympathise with you on the pain of a hangover fast, I did one this week too and it was unpleasant in all kinds of ways! However, I did feel particularly proud of myself for not throwing in the towel that day!

CM, I have never tried kefir, but I have tried turmeric in plain hot water with honey to help PMS symptoms. I wasn’t religious enough about it to say I noticed a difference, but I do really like the taste and colour! It’s nice in a milky smoothie too. I do know that its therapeutic benefits have been backed by scientific studies so I’d say it’s worth a shot! I really like that everyone on this forum seems to know of and/or tried all these funky foods that I hear about and dabble with that nobody in my real life world ever knows about, it’s refreshing.

Oh, and on that topic, I finally tried the konyakku noodles! The texture made me think of eating a jellyfish (though somehow not in an unpleasant way!?) and they went pretty well in the soup I made. Super filling so overall worth buying again 🙂

To add to everyone else’s, my two bits of good news for the week were firstly that I have figured out how to combat the insomnia (eating the full allowance of 500 cal, and all in the evening, and to include both protein and whole grain carbs). I did a first dinner of soup at 6 pm and second dinner of egg on toast at 9 pm and had a fantastic sleep! Secondly, it seems I have lost weight too. Down from 65 to 63 kg this morning. All round good!

Have a happy weekend everybody!

Hi J Julie,
    Have had bad cough, sore throat, swollen glands and tonsils since Monday. My Doc said I had to let it run its course, but have had a week of feeling yuk. Haven’t been able to fast, not that it mattered much, food doesn’t taste right with this anyway, so weight has stayed the same all week.
    Welcome to all the many newbies, too many to remember by name, keep posting so we can help keep you on the straight and narrow, or sing your praises, what ever you need, we are hear to help. 😉
    Well done to all the fabulous results for the week. 🙂
    Glad to see so many nearing their goals. Keep on loosing guys, have a wonderful weekend, although some of us have the forecast for more frosts and rain, not the sort of weather to be out doors. Charlie.

CharlieG, you don’t sound too good, love. Take it easy, FDs will be there when you feel like it, so don’t stress about it. Get yourself well again and take good care. Love from Charlie Dog too! CM xx

Get well soon CharlieG and like CM said, don’t stress. I put on some weight after my break and lost it again after just two fasts this week. Concentrate on getting fighting fit and keep warm.

Well done on your weight loss for this week Gatsby. I like your idea of having two dinners and I am glad it has helped with your sleep.

Going up the stairs to bedfordshire now. Nighty night.

Checking in:

Tightened watchband 1 hole this week.
    BMI has hit normal! Yay!

Thinking of you Charlie G. Stay warm.

Hobbit dinners Gatsby, how clever. 1st and 2nd dinners. 5:2 is so adaptable to individual needs. Love it.

Cheers all, and hang in till you get the hang of it newbies,
    Merry

Cherry Blossoming ( Japanese foods, ingredients, recipes, etc) check in:

Asian grocery stores cheaper, have fresh mushrooms and greens also.

Adding king oyster mushrooms to our staples.

Got Dashi miso yesterday. Has bonito and seaweed flavours in it. Will try it this week.

Pond scum jelly a.k.a Konyaku jelly, same as noodles, i.e. Almost no calories, but murky colour with little flecks – will try in soup, maybe in miso soup this weekend along with nori seeweed cut up (9cals per sheet), and maybe silken tofu cubes in it also- will check back in with cals for silken tofu(soft). Konyaku noodles $2.30 my local Asian shop. Those little noodle tied parcels are $1.35.

There are some very good results coming through – well done, everyone. Welcome to the newbies, it’s a great place to be, and you will soon be on track with the fasting techniques that suit you best. We are all individual, but that’s the great thing about this WOL.

Do get better soon, JJ and CharlieG, make sure you take care of yourselves. The turmeric milk sounds interesting, will try it tonight as I have a bit of a sore throat again. But I should sleep okay, have been awake since 4 am! :_(

Great news, OH is starting 5:2 (again) on Monday. He’s a very fussy eater, so I am suggesting a two-egg omelette for breakfast, maybe a salad and banana for lunch, and in this weather (maximum of 8 degrees today!) soup for the evening meal. Any suggestions would be gratefully received. He drives a taxi, so it’s difficult for him to carry anything, cannot warm or chill food, so interesting times. I’m so pleased to have him on board. He did start in January, but went straight off when he was trying the regime of dietary supplements (which did nothing for him), and has been a bit slow coming around to the inevitable. But with me as a shining example he couldn’t resist forever. 😆

Thanks CM, EA, Thin for the encouragement (and anyone else I’ve forgotten… So many in this forum now, it’s hard to keep up now and I commend all those who can address individuals.. I’m pretty crap at that!) Nik .. I could only manage the 5k in May this year (Mothers Day Classic) but built up to the 10 in about 10 more weeks so it is doable.. Gets easier the more weight you loose of course! I don’t have bad knees anymore and no issues with my feet .. Only had issues with hamstrings and after seeing an osteopath (who’s also a runner) I realised my gait needed to be more upright and that seems heaps better now.. 5:2 opens you up to all sorts of possibilities which were never a choice before .. I’m hoping that I’ll be under 70 kilos by the time I’ve been doing this for 12 months which will be in another month .. Been a bit slack for different reasons .. Big Col.. I tried a fast day twice! with a hangover but realised it couldn’t be done as I just spent the day dreaming of Maccas and iced coffee and was literally dragging my heels lol! I just switch the day now and that’s a plus with 5:2 .. Flexibility! Well done everyone on their losses.. Team effort!

Sunday morning so it’s a FD for me with a couple of A&C coffees and a catch up of the posts. We’re having a hearty chicken & bacon casserole for dinner, 249 cals, it’s really tasty with leeks, red capsicum, ‘shrooms, parsnip. OFMs will have a serving of rice but it’s very filling on its own. I’ll try to continue last week’s effort of not eating all day.

Gatsby, glad you’ve conquered the insomnia with an egg on toast; I’ve been harping on about the egg before bed to keep hunger at bay for ages and I’ve just read that the protein contained in eggs has properties that are particularly satiating. Digesting protein requires more calories than digesting other nutrients so it’s a double bonus. Well done on the loss too.

Last night we had a restaurant meal which I’ve come to dread as they always seem to set me back so far on the scales. It was Indian so I had no naan bread and only a modest serving of rice but thoroughly enjoyed the three curries and even shared a small dessert with teen. Only 100gm damage this morning.

Thanks for the soy sauce info JJ. Hope you and CharlieG are soon on the mend.

SarahCan – welcome to you. You post got lost in a downpour. Let us know how you get on. And yes, you CAN!

Coastcat: I empathise but it’s really best to get out of the habit of snacking altogether if you can. The need for constant grazing is a myth promoted by food manufacturers in order to sell us more processed junk. Before the obesity epidemic, our parents’ mantra was “don’t eat in between meals”. I’ve learned that hunger is something that comes and goes in waves and doesn’t necessarily require food to get rid of it. Try distracting yourself from food by going for a walk, phoning a friend, having a bath, going to a movie or, as you say, have a dance around. Drink lots of water or black/green teas. If you still find you need more frequent food intake on a FD, plan ahead with three smaller meals – a low GI breakfast like 30g oats, berries will keep you going until lunch, a thick hearty soup will fill you up at lunch and then some protein for dinner. Anything you snack on has to be counted in your 500 allowance so it only makes sense to plan ahead.

Barata, nice for you that OH will re-join you with 5:2. Good luck to him.

CM, how’s the turmeric experiment working out? Looking forward to a dry walk today after all that rain yesterday.

*your post, sorry SarahCan.

Merry, have you tried the pond scum yet? I haven’t used my konnyaku yet.

Good morning everyone….well now midday here!!! did not realise it was so late.

I wanted to share the recipe for the salad I made last night. Yes it is a Japanese salad, but one that my husband really likes and requested it.

Wakame Salad (seaweed salad)

10g dried wakame (can buy in asian grocery and sometime called Fueru Wakame)
    150g or so of lebanese cucumber (this is the closest cucumber we can buy that is like the Japanese ones)
    20ml Ponzu (I talked about this before)
    10 – 15 g Harusame (dried yam noodles) Calculated calories on 10g.

Put the dried wakame into a bowl and put cool water on top. It will need to be quite a lot of water as these little dried seaweed pieces will expand twenty times their size.

In a saucepan bring to boil water and once boiling put the Harusame noodles into it. It does not take long for them to “cook”. Usually only a couple of minutes until they are limp and transparent. When done drain and rinse in cold water.

Slice the cucumber paper thin and place in a bowl with a sprinkle of salt to draw out the moisture. I use a Bormer slicer to get it really thin.

The wakame should be ready by now so drain and squeeze out excess water. Squeeze the sliced cucumber and dispose of excess moisture, then add seaweed, wakame and harusame noodles to the one bowl.

Pour over the measured Ponzu for the dressing and mix all the ingredients so they are evenly blended together.

Salad is now complete so place in fridge to chill.

Using the measured amounts I calculated the calories to be 93 for the whole bowl of salad.

Can serve 4 – 6 people depending on how big a serve.

We had this with chicken and a homemade Greek style salad.

Hope some of you are willing to try this refreshing Japanese salad.

Thanks EA, Merry and Thin. Merry, I love that; hobbit dinners! It is how I shall think of them from now on! My OH is a massive LOTR fan so I’m sure he will appreciate the joke. Thin, yes, you’re right about the eggs. I’m vegetarian so I can easily see them becoming a fast day staple from now on.

Feeling any better JJ and CharlieG? This has been such a terrible season for illnesses, it seems like nobody has escaped! Hopefully the warm weekend will help a little!

Barata, that’s great that your OH is having a go. I could imaging it being so much more fun to do with someone else in the same boat right there with you (maybe fun isn’t exactly the right word but hey). But it’s what’s so good about the forums I think!

My OH and I just had a pretty indulgent night in with wine and food, etc. Its funny, normally I’d be dreading or avoiding getting back into a healthy eating routine this week because of the guilt and sense of failure… Now I’m just looking forward to it as I specifically allowed for the extra cals (a little over my TDEE) as I have been mostly under on non-fast days. I’m sure I could have increased the beneficial results by avoiding all indulgence, but guess what, it’s why I normally get off track… Rigidity, leading to failure, coupled with the all or nothing attitude which leads me to throw in the towel. Instead, I’m on track! 🙂

Barata, great to hear from you again. How was your trip to Cairns? Was it cold for you?? We had 9 degrees on Friday night which was a record cold for August for us for many years.

Hello everyone. I hope your fast is going well today Thin. That was good advise you gave Coastcat about snacking and a reminder to me as well.

My gosh, I really need my fast day tomorrow. Yesterday I had two large hot chocolates, chips and two, yes two, doughnuts. Oh me oh my. Not looking forward to standing on those scales tomorrow morning but at least I will be fasting.

Thinking about the runners amongst you, I saw the end of City to Surf in Sydney and that guy that won it made running look effortless. He hardly seemed to have broken out into a sweat and talked to the interviewer with ease. Amazing. I used to love cross country as a girl and in winter when it was icy and snowy I missed running. Oh to be that girl again. Maybe I can???

Happy Sunday everyone.

Viewing 50 posts - 6,051 through 6,100 (of 28,011 total)

You must be logged in to reply.