Fab Fasters in February

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Fab Fasters in February

This topic contains 422 replies, has 31 voices, and was last updated by  singhudit61 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 51 through 100 (of 436 total)

• Day 2 USA (Illinois) NFD

Yesterday’s OMAD went fine. Might do the same today. We’re waiting for a new door installation that we ordered last fall – honestly wondered if they would ever get it finished to install! Someone said the wood supply from Canada was stopped due to COVID, and delays were inevitable. But opening up the basement all day for a new door wasn’t our idea to do in winter!

Hopefully you’re all doing well.

Onward and downward.

Day 2 – Rural Nebraska, USA – FD

Ahh, the joy of a FD coming on the heels of three NFDs!!! I’ve been trying to figure out my why, and agree with what everyone said, but it’s perhaps @i-hate-lettuce who phrased it best for me: lose weight or suffer the consequences. I have so many reasons: I don’t like how clothes look on me at this weight; I have lots of clothes I want to wear but must lose weight to do so; I want to feel better and more energetic, which weighing less and being thinner accomplishes; I want to feel in control of myself, rather than controlled by my gluttonous side (and, oh, do I have a gluttonous side!); I want to lower my cholesterol to avoid statins; I want to be a good steward of this body, as I am of other things in my life: I get the oil changed in my car on a regular schedule, I vacuum my carpets, I weed my garden, I don’t let food grow mold in my fridge….so why do I let fat accumulate on my belly and hips?

But even with so many reasons, I often find I’ve forgotten that I actually WANT to lose weight, and think I’m denying myself because I’m somehow OBLIGATED to lose weight–know the feeling? So, thanks for the question, @basyjames, as it’s made me rethink just why I want to lose weight.

And if your question was not why we want to lose weight, but why we use 5:2 or some variation to accomplish it, that’s simple: because it’s the only thing that works well and easily while living a normal life!

@songbirdme I was fascinated that you said maintenance “TAKES A LOT OF WORK” because you make it look and sound quite easy. Can you elaborate on your comment? I think we’d all find it encouraging and helpful.

Welcome back, @mia139!

@penz What about a second hand store for some smaller shorts, just to get your through to winter? Used clothing are one of the fun delights in my life, because you can find some wonderful things there, and then giggle as you wear them, because no one else knows they’re used, LOL!

@fivetwofan5252 I know what you mean: even as I gained 30lbs/13.6kgs in my forties and fifties, I went through the “middle aged shift” and now I know I could get back to that original weight, but the clothes still wouldn’t fit. Don’t know about the hips and thighs, but am certain my 23″ waist is never coming back!

@i-hate-lettuce You are a HOOT! “Budgie Smugglers,” indeed, LOL!

@northgeorgia Way to be a Fab Faster right off the bat! That 227 must have been a very welcome delight!

I finished my quilt yesterday! I’ve taken my machine into the repairman for a spa day, so now need to use my Singer Featherweight to sew up a backing and some pillow shams to be quilted. Or, I can wait until I get back my Bernina, because I also need to do some tidying in my sewing room, LOL! Creativity doesn’t come with neatness for me!

Pocket list day 2
    @fivetwofan5252
    @daffodil2010 FD800
    @clemmi FD800
    @dvw
    @at FD500
    @suki2
    @stitchincarol

DTF
    @suki2
    @stitchincarol

5×30 exercise
    @suki2
    @stitchincarol

@stitchincarol – congrats on finishing your quilt! That’s a great accomplishment. I have a t-shirt quilt waiting to be put together for a former music/drama student of mine. I MUST get back to it. The shirts are all cut according to their design, but not it’s the jigsaw puzzle of piecing it together with the strips and all to make it.

Maintenance. Hmm. I bet there will be as many strategies as there are fasters. I can say for me, the 1 day/week of 500 (often less) calories has allowed me to have 6 fairly normal days. But the normal is still usually less than I might like to feel comfortable. And I do still use MFP every day to know my caloric intake. TDEE is about 1750 which isn’t a lot of calories.

The door replacement duo arrive and are working diligently, up and down stairs with what seem to be boundless energy. Oh these young men! They are Pella windows installers, mostly with carpentry skills it seems, and originally from Poland! I am not used to hearing Polish in our house, but happy they are working.

Day 2 USA/DC NFD
    does anyone else have this happen – FD results in weight loss the next day, then the day following weight is up 1 lb. ultimately I do lose, but it’s up and down 1-2 lbs depending on whether I just did a FD or not.

@songbirdme – I find Maintenance almost harder that just staying on 5:2. My TDEE is only 1350 calories. UGH. I think February for me will be trying to figure out Maintenance without being too restrictive and obsessive. I am so all or nothing that this may be a real challenge.

We have snow all about – very pretty and it’s actually fairly mild out. Not a bad day at all.

Day 2 North Canton OH NFD

@penz well said and mojo March sounds like just what the doctor ordered. How about getting used shorts from second-new shops until you get to your goal weight? Cheap, sustainable and like @at getting well fitting shorts will feel good

@fivetwofan5252 the joy of being able to enjoy NFD after a compliant fast day, has to be experienced to be believed

@daffodil2010 I hope you feel better. My steak and bacon-loving daughter stopped eating meat after she watched a video about how pigs and cows are slaughtered. It’s important to be aware, but in these dark times, I am purposefully steering clear of anything that darkens my mood. It can just be too much sometimes

@clemmi I totally get how you feel about chafing thighs, it is the worst feeling … just ugh

@i hate lettuce budgie smugglers or a mankini? You are hilarious!!!!

@northgeorgia the downward trend continues 😁🤸‍♀️

@suki2 you shrunk ½ an inch? That is food for thought🙄

@stitchincarol since everyone on this forum knows that this WOL works, the question was why you want to lose weight, and what you said resonated because sometimes we forget that we are doing this because we want to not because we are obligated to; and you said exactly what I was thinking to @penz about buying second-new. Congratulations on finishing the quilt; I bet that was bittersweet!

@nellen and @songbirdme I agree that maintenance is much more difficult than weight loss, because it was very hard for me to fight that sense of complacency after I met my goal. I have reached goal (very quickly) about 3 times since I started intermittent fasting 6 years ago, and each time I would take it as a license to over indulge in sweets and alcohol. I am finding it much more difficult this go around, but because it is taking me longer, I am savoring the process and figuring out what will work better for me over the long term.

I am not sure that @realtips2021 is actually a person and not a spam bot but I have reported the post.

Pocket list day 2
    @fivetwofan5252
    @daffodil2010 FD800
    @clemmi FD800
    @dvw
    @at FD500
    @suki2
    @stitchincarol

DTF
    @suki2
    @stitchincarol

5×30 exercise
    @suki2
    @stitchincarol
    @basyjames

Second post

I forgot to add my thought for the day

“Faith is taking the first step even when you don’t see the whole staircase” MLK jr

USA. Day 2. FD800

Somehow I got bumped off the pocket list, so I am adding myself back on!

Pocket List Day 2

@fivetwofan5252
    @daffodil2010 FD800
    @clemmi FD800
    @dvw
    @at FD500
    @suki2
    @stitchincarol
    @ccco

DTF
    @suki2
    @stitchincarol
    @ccco
    @fivetwofan5252
    @daffodil2010 FD800
    @clemmi FD800
    @dvw
    @at FD500
    @suki2
    @stitchincarol

DTF
    @suki2
    @stitchincarol

5×30 exercise
    @suki2
    @stitchincarol
    @basyjames

5×30 exercise
    @suki2
    @stitchincarol
    @basyjames

USA. Day 2. FD800

I am going to try this again because I don’t know how the list got doubled up!

Pocket List Day 2

@fivetwofan5252
    @daffodil2010 FD800
    @clemmi FD800
    @dvw
    @at FD500
    @suki2
    @stitchincarol
    @ccco

DTF
    @suki2
    @stitchincarol
    @ccco

5×30 exercise
    @suki2
    @stitchincarol
    @basyjames

Day 2 UK FD

HI It’s great to be back and thanks for the lovely warm welcome. Fasting well today on OMAD and sooo determined to stick with this in February. I also hate my fatter self and the fact that my clothes don’t fit. I was wearing my ” thinner clothes” and now can’t !

Have just over 5kg to lose to get back to my previous weight. I do think daily checking in here is the key to my success so will try to keep to this.

A late check in today as busy at work administering Covid vaccines these days. Very glad to be busy doing this as it shows how keen people are to be protected.

Day 2 UK CD

Fab FD yesterday and feeling really upbeat today! Partly the spring sunshine but also I’d forgotten that fasting usually lifts my mood.

I ate so many vegetables yesterday I was really full. Yummy lunch of steamed cauliflower with yeast flakes plus red cabbage & apple slaw with balsamic vinegar dressing; supper of butternut squash & red lentil dal topped with vegan yogurt & fresh lemon, followed by stewed apple & pear with grated ginger.

I still need to drink lots more but making progress. I’ve stopped drinking coffee for the first time in my life and i’m not yet into new habits – not least bc it’s so cold that i don’t want fizzy water which is my other go to. I’m making flasks of root ginger tea and trying to enthuse about peppermint tea when i’d really like a black coffee!

New laptop arrived today so much of the day went in setting it up. My 82yo mother came for her weekly bubble visit and I showed her how to use an ancient iPad ready for the pre-loved but newer one that’s on its way to her. Both my mother & my PA enjoyed sorting thru the heaps of books I’ve sorted out to give away – the first part of this year’s mammoth declutter. It felt as tho i was running a secondhand book stall 🙂

Tomorrow is going to be making a start on the big backlog that’s grown in January. Projects have piled while I’ve been resting, but I’m aiming for a gentle start rather than my usual dive in!

Wishing strength to all today’s fasters. Lovely to be back 🙂

Day 3, OMAD, Aus

Having a work lunch today which will be my OMAD. Probably on TDEE but I know I won’t want dinner.

Ha ha @clemmi. I love the notion of recording the news but if you skip all the bad parts, is there anything left to watch?

Thanks for the encouragement to get a new pair of shorts. I REALLY need a new pair of work trousers so I think I’m off to the shops this weekend. And via the second hand shops, @stitchincarol, @basyjames (which would be a perfect circle as I dropped off several bags of too-big clothes before Xmas!)

Random thought this morning. @Ihatelettuce – does Mrs IHL hate lettuce too?

Congrats on finishing that quilt, @stitchincarol!!!

Happy Wednesday everyone.

@penz – I needed a handle/forum name so looked for something food linked.

I-hate-lettuce came about from ‘salads’ made when I was a kid, a pile of very limp lettuce on a plate, little else, so I wasn’t best impressed.

Only later in life, when we started growing a lot of vegetables, did I actually start to enjoy lettuce. We grew several different types, from cos variety Balloon (huge like rugby balls in shape, really crisp) or young Romaine, chop off roots and put the whole lettuce between a couple of slices of bread and butter, to tiny red lettuce, soft and peppery. Either way it’s got to be cool, crisp and fresh.

Mrs I-H-L likes her salads, including lettuce, but same as me, it has to be fresh.

Maybe it should be I-Used-To-Hate-Lettuce 😉

Day 3 – Ireland 🇮🇪 – FD

Going to aim for an OMAD today, nowt but liquids until I get home, then I have a small lentil, spinach and bean soup for supper while I rustle up a chicken and turmeric stir fry thingie for DH.

I feel so much better, thank you all for your kind words and tips to feel better….yes definitely fresh air is my go-to as well as others. @clemmi your description of cleaning out the hen house sounded idyllic…..we would love to have hens but not at the moment.

@i-hate-lettuce you are so funny 😀, I guffawed at the mankini 😄

There is a Covid cluster starting in DH’s workplace….about 10 down now in the office with it…..DH drives an articulated Lorry around Ireland so does not have much interaction with the office except for dropping in papers, BUT, one of the drivers and yard men have also come down with Covid, so DH is taking every precaution now. Worrying times but we must live through it, thus is our reality.

In the meantime Spring is definitely springing, loving to hear the early morning birdsong again and spotting all the little nubs of flowers about to grow. I have mt tomatoes and chillis germinating and plan for mega garden work this weekend to get it ready for a bumper growing season

Have a great day. 🐪

Day 3 France TDEE

Bonjour. I’ve decided to go for a TDEE (target weight) today rather than another FD800 because I have a lot to do in the garden (digging, planting and pruning grapevines) and will be ravenous on 800. Back to FD800 tomorrow, though.

@michelinme Your food yesterday sounds delicious. I might have a go at making some butternut squash and red lentil dahl. We still have about 15 of last year’s butternuts in store.

@penz Re: the fast forward news. Some days I watch about 5 minutes yet other days quite a lot. For instance yesterday there was a lot of coverage featuring the life of Captain Sir Tom Moore which was superb and uplifting.

A Daffodil2010. I’m glad you’ve perked up! Isn’t it fab to see signs of spring. Some of our daffodils are in bud, the hellibores are in full flower and bunches of young wild chives are growing on the banks under hedges. It sounds as if you’re well ahead with seeds. I planted chilli seeds but they haven’t germinated and I haven’t started any tomatoes yet.

I hope you all have a great day!

Day 3 – Lake District UK – NFD

Good morning everyone

Busy start to the day, grocery delivery first off, then stuff for decking needed collecting, now waiting for grains, hops and brewing yeast arriving shortly!

@clemmi – you’re ahead of us, far to early to be sowing any seed yet, I must admit to buying young tomato plants from a nursery, the small tumbler varieties I get from them are superb and not expensive. I let them do the fiddly bit in the cold and actually end up ahead of the game.

@daffodil2010 – Glad you’ve picked up and feeling better. Your DH driving hgv round Ireland, I’m sat here waiting for the delivery of grain etc which is coming from Ireland. It’s actually better value than buying from mainland suppliers!

Take care all

Day 3 – Canada – FD800

@daffodil2010 and @clemmi -so lovely to hear you getting ready for gardening. It’s nice to visualize and gives me hope knowing it’s coming! Shovelled about a foot of snow yesterday, then it rained and today it looks pretty slick out there.

Yesterday’s FD didn’t go so well so I’ll give it another try today. Good luck everyone. dvw

Day 3 – USA/GA – FD

Whoop! The 230 monster almost reared his ugly head this morning, but came back a few minutes later and scales did settle on 229 *snicker* I did overdo supper a bit last night, so I am going to have to watch that in the evenings (or anytime I’m snug as a bug on a rug at home). Hoping for a good “at work” FD today.

“Follow us,” Megan says. Lola, Wesley, and I get into my car and follow Megan, John, and Rita into downtown Triplicity to a local clothier. Wesley and I don’t take long. John basically said “black trousers and a white-collared shirt with a simple black sports coat, no tie.” We get fitted, show John, get a “yep, looks good. Do you like them? I’m fine with those,” and get changed back. Well, hopefully, they’re what Rita has in mind. Our garments hang by a rack in the front lobby, where we men find a seat and wait for the ladies. About fifteen minutes later, they reappear with their own rack of bagged garments, smiling ear to ear. The cashier rings up the order and Megan places it all on her card.

“Well, that’s that! Let’s go check on the venue and then find dinner,” Rita says. We go back to the parking lot, John carrying the clothes to the trunk of our car. “Where are we going,” Wes asks. John shuts the trunk. “The community center.”

Good luck to our pocketlisters today!

Day 3 Oxfordshire, UK – FD 800

@basyjames – losing ½ “ is a bit of a shock. It brings my TDEE for my target weight to just about 1300 cals. which isn’t very much at all. Just need to be more creative with my food choices.
    Tonight is one of my favourites – Chicken Saag, lots of spinach and tomato and a very small portion of rice. If I stick to my guns it might even come in as FD500 rather than FD800, we’ll see.

@michelineme – it always feels good to declutter.

@ihatelettuce, @clemmi & @daffodil2010 – DH managed to collect a greenhouse from someone on Freecycle last autumn. It’s now up in our garden. A neighbour yesterday gave us some trestles and boards so we are almost ready to go. Just wondering if there are is a variety of tomato you experts would recommend. Are we ok to still grow these from seed? So much we don’t know.

Have a good day all.

Pocket List day 3
    @suki2 FD800/500?

DTF
    @suki2

5×30 exercise
    @suki2

Day 3 USA/DC TDEE

so far so good on the maintenance side, but of course it’s only been 3 days. :))) I had an epiphany this morning – My typical self never eats much during the day but then eats non-stop beginning at about 4. The 5:2 has changed that, at least for now and I am going to really try to maintain this. Now I do eat lunch and dinner and then pretty much stop, other than maybe a clementine or two. Instead I am drinking a LOT of seltzer with a big splash of pomegranate juice. Stopping the “all-night all you can eat” has really made a huge difference. Now I just have to maintain this. As they say though – old habits die hard.
    Be well all

Day 3 UK NFD

Just a quick check in

Yesterday’s FD was fairly successful. However I was mega hungry by 430pm and suffering a real energy dip so decided to eat 400 cals there and then.
    That definitely did the trick as I felt much better and was able to carry on working until 7pm.
    I then had about 70 calories’ worth of broccoli for dinner.

However I then woke up at 4am because I was so hungry.

This has never happened before! Even in the old days when I used to do 2 x FD back to back 🙁

Anyway I am quite enjoying my turbo-charged EOD / ADF regime, but I think I will knock it on the head at the end of February as it is quite full-on!

I am also not getting the chance to eat as many vegetables or as much salad as usual (merely due to lack of opportunity as I am fasting EOD) so for me personally, I am not sure I want to do this as a long-term approach.

Good luck to all those who are fasting today 🙂

Day 3 – Rural Nebraska, USA – NFD

Yesterday’s FD was strong. I had to chew something like five pieces of gum after we ate supper in order to quell the longing for something sweet, however, LOL!! Woke up this morning feeling strong and virtuous. Typical for me in the morning; it’s the afternoon and early evening that are my challenge hours.

@songbirdme I beg to disagree. Your “TDEE is about 1750 which isn’t a lot of calories”??? Hah! No, I’d say MY TDEE of 1300 isn’t a lot of calories!! 😂🤣😂🤣 My jaw dropped when I read that number and I immediately went into TDEE-envy!! What prompted your decision to do only 6:1 if you feel somewhat deprived on the six days; I’d think you’d be tempted to do 5:2 so you could be a bit less deprived on the other days?

@nellen I not only weigh myself daily, I write it down, so here’s my weight since 1/24: 152.2, 150.6, 149.4, 152.4, 149.8, 150.8, 149.0, 151.6, 152.0, 152.4, 150.0. There. Feel better about your own fluctuating weight? It’s completely natural, and reflects so many things including the quantity of food you ate (a huge plate of steamed broccoli is still a huge plate of food to go in your belly), the calories, the water content or lack thereof, your own body’s cycle, etc., etc. Try logging your own weight daily, and I’ll bet you’ll discover a similar daily fluctuation. The important detail to remember is that weight loss isn’t linear: it doesn’t just happen in a steady decrease of two ounces today and another two ounces in another couple days, and so on.

@northgeorgia YAY! I’ve been wondering when Lola and Wesley were going to reappear!

I loved reading all the chatter from the rest of you, but am not going to try to respond individually because today’s a busy, busy day. One of our congregants died last Friday and her funeral is tomorrow, plus my cleaning lady is coming today so I have a pile of papers I want to sort through and put away where they belong before she arrives.

Have a grand day, everyone!

Day 3 North Canton OH FD

I was contemplating a waterfast, but I needed my cup of coffee

@i hate lettuce is there anything worse than a salad with limp lettuce? It has to be cool crisp and fresh for me too. Lately, I have been using cabbage for my salads since I do not have a veggie garden. Planting a veggie garden is on my to do list, I just need to find the time.

@clemmi and @daffodil2010 wish there were signs of spring here, we are currently buried in snow; the white stuff is everywhere and some of it is still very slick, I almost skidded on a patch while taking DD to school this morning.

@northgeorgia the story continues! What a joy 🤸‍♀️

@stitchincarol polish that halo

Here is the next thought provoking question: What is your biggest mindset change from the person you were before fasting and the person you are now?
    My biggest change is that I am no longer afraid of being hungry; I am able to embrace the sensation because I now know it appears in waves and I can ride it out.

Here is today’s pocket list
    @daffodil2010
    @dvw
    @northgeorgia
    @suki2
    @basyjames

“The mind is everything. What you think, you become”

Day 3 – UK – TDEE

Started today with an 0830 energetic yoga class 🙏 then walked into the village to deliver a cake I had baked yesterday to a friend who is 80 today – she looks fabulous for her age and was happy to see me on her doorstep for a quick Happy Birthday – such a shame we can’t hug or visit with each other still – at least she and her husband have both had their first shot of the vaccine and are keeping well.

Today has been drizzly, cold and grey so far…….

I had a good OMAD FD500 yesterday coming in just under that total and slept relatively well last night so feeling inspired to stay below TDEE today – planning on cooking Jamie Oliver’s Crispy-skinned mackerel with Asian-inspired dressing tonight – OH and I both love mackerel 😋

@songbirdme – having a door open all day in winter does not sound like great fun – hopefully you could close other doors between the basement and the main area you were in!! and I so agree that maintenance does take a lot of vigilance – I let myself slip over the last 3 months for the first time since reaching maintenance in December 2016…..but hoping that February’s challenge will help see me back firmly where I feel my best 🤞
    @nellen – After reaching maintenance I kept to 5:2 as it allowed me not to worry too much about my NFDs and remain in my maintenance range, but over the past 3 months I have not been so vigilant and a few lbs have crept back on – So I too think that maintenance is not easy and does take work and vigilance!!!
    @daffodil2010 – here’s hoping OH and yourself stay clear of any Covid infections – stay safe x
    @clemmi – enjoy the gardening – hopefully you are having better weather than our wet, cold and grey day
    @suki2 – 1300cals sounds a tad low, are you on the short side and/or does the TDEE you mention include exercise or have you gone for a sedentary version?
    @basyjames – You asked :What is your biggest mindset change from the person you were before fasting and the person you are now?” For me – (mindset is your collection of thoughts and beliefs that shape your thought habits) Fasting has taught me how much of my life is within my control and how important looking after my body can improve how I feel about myself and life in general and that I can always push myself that little bit more – be it holding a pose in yoga for that bit longer, walking an extra km or two or telling myself on a FD that I can cope with only 500cals for the day…….my body and mind are strong and so I can do these things……

Can I ask if folks tend to work out their TDEE to include the activity levels they actually do or use the sedentary option? For example for me as a 62y.o F at 164cm tall and a goal weight of 55kg
    If I use the sedentary option my TDEE is 1325
    If I use moderately active my TDEE is 1711
    So I try to aim for a TDEE of around 1500 and do 2 x FD a week to allow for some wine at the weekend

However in view of my recent weight gain – I am using this month’s challenge to nip things in the bud by remaining alcohol free except for the 2 days I have mentioned; Keeping NFD at 1500cals and making sure that my FDs are OMAD FD500 strictly – MFP will definitely be my friend this month to help keep me in control – just 3 days in but MFP never fails to amaze me at how little I can eat to remain within my allowance……..

Here is today’s pocket list
    @daffodil2010
    @dvw
    @northgeorgia
    @suki2
    @basyjames

DTF 🚫🍸🍷🍺🥂
    @suki2
    @stitchincarol
    @ccco
    @at – (Dry Feb except for 14th and 26th!)

ZBC 🚫
    @at – every day!

Exercise 🏋️‍♀️ 30×5
    @at ( today 1hr strength yoga)

TOGETHER WE ARE STRONGER!

USA. Day 3. FD800

I was so busy today I almost forgot to check in. I read all the posts and then got waylaid.

Pocket List Day 3
    @daffodil2010
    @dvw
    @northgeorgia
    @suki2
    @basyjames
    @ccco FD800

DTF 🚫🍸🍷🍺🥂
    @suki2
    @stitchincarol
    @ccco

ZBC 🚫
    @at – every day!

Exercise 🏋️‍♀️ 30×5
    @at ( today 1hr strength yoga)

I am finding it easier not to have my evening wine. I just put a glass of water next to me and drink a ton of it all evening. It would appear that it is not the wine I want but something to put in my hands! LOL

Anyway, I just started my FD800 as a Keto diet because my sister not only lost so much weight but also dropped her insulin level and her blood pressure. I am jealous! Keto isn’t easy, so I don’t know how long I will do it but I do know it won’t be a forever thing!

Nellen, I am glad you were able to get your vaccine. Up here, we are running out and some sites have stopped making appointments, while others are now offering only second shots. The local news said the this week we were allotted fewer vaccines than last week. Add that to the problems from the snow, that at times it seems like an impossible task. I guess all we can have is patience.

Have a great day, everybody! I did read all the posts! 🙂

Day 3 Florida USA FD I’m in my 3rd week of 5/2. No loss yet. My experience has been sudden drops after a few weeks. We’ll see. I’m carrying the 10 pounds all around my middle- my arms, legs, and tush are unchanged. Maybe part of why I drifted so much- I was wearing winter clothes. Anyway, now I’m committed. Carry On!

Day 3 UK FD

Third FD and all well. I’m always very motivated at the beginning of the month and then lose it by week two! This month I’m pledging to stay the course.
    I will check in every day for accountability.

Day 3 USA (Illinois) OMAD

We love our new door – and we survived the cold basement as DH started a fire in the woodburner. The old door was solid, and the new one has quite a large window, so it is very pleasant to see sunlight come in that hallway.

We are due for another storm tomorrow morning, snow all day. Predicting 3-5″.

@stitchincarol – TDEE envy, eh?? Well, I really wonder why mine is significantly higher! I am certain it was MFP that calculated it, mostly because that’s the only program I have used for this WOL! Guess my choice of 6:1 was what was recommended for maintenance. Perhaps I ought to re-think that one. We lost a neighbor and former parishioner last Saturday with his funeral tomorrow as well. He was 84, but his quick demise was not expected. Quite a coincidence.

@nellen – congrats on your maintenance. You’ll do just fine. I’m right there with you not eating much at all until 5 p.m. or so, and yes, it’s hard to stop eating once I start.

@mia139 – hope you can indeed keep checking in for us to encourage you!

Onward and downward.

Day 3 Minnesota, US NFD

Quick check in. I’ve taken a couple of days off rom the forum, and off from fasting this week. I have several projects going, two online, and I only have so much patience and tolerance for online time. lol.
    FD tomorrow. ZBC, DTF, and yoga daily with HIIT tomorrow.

Day 4, FD, Aus

Supposed to be my usual Thursday LFD but I’ve just scoffed a ham & cheese toastie. I’m guessing I can still cal it a 500cal FD…

Been busy today so no time to chat!

Day 4 U.K. FD

I know I can’t actually be a pocket list of one, but I’m starting it anyway 😄

Pocket List
    @fivetwofan5252. Fd500

@basyjames
    I totally agree re the mindset of hunger!
    I grew up believing that ‘something terrible such as a headache’ would happen if you skipped a meal!!!!!

It’s nice to be freed from those very limiting thoughts isn’t it? 😊

Day 4 – Ireland 🇮🇪 – NFD

Last day in work as I have decided to take tomorrow off and have a long weekend of relaxing and, weather depending, garden time. I am completely gutting it, getting rid of loads of things that have now gone too big for their boots, or are not performing, or just not right…..so DH has been roped in to help with the man-handling.

Looking forward to the project. This year I will grow more veg and have started ordering from my favourite online gardening shop. Simple happy pleasures ☺️

Did a successful OMAD yesterday, and I thought of @basyjames question….for me it is definitely the realisation that I will not die of hunger if I fast. That whole “Starvation Mode” baloney…(usually believed by somebody who is overweight), the “Breakfast being most important meal”…..that whole “Hangry” thing……..all these things I realise are just things made up to make us believe we need to keep on eating.

Like most of us here, I really don’t talk much about my fasting to friends and family….I get annoyed when I am told that what I believe is good for health is wrong….especially when it’s a dear friend who is overweight and multiple health issues…so I keep my gob shut.

Hence loving this forum and you supportive guys 👍

@i-hate-lettuce, I am off to research home brewing starter kits. I think it would be fun. DH would love it. You know, I worked for many years in a famous Irish brewery, home of the black stuff 😄, and although in Supply I completed the General Certificate in Brewing, and really enjoyed it. I know all about mash tuns and fermentation vessels on a huge scale…so it would be fun to do it ourselves at home. Any tips from you and @stichincarol most welcome 🍺

Have a great Thursday all

Day 4 – Lake District UK – FD

Good morning everyone

@basyjames – Re “What is your biggest mindset change from the person you were before fasting and the person you are now?”
    Wow, what a question! As @daffodil2010 has already commented on ‘Starvation Mode’ ‘Hangry’ ‘Breakfast’ etc I agree it is nonsense.
    I’ve certainly changed quite a lot since joining here in July 2019. I would never discuss health matters and certainly not weight matters with anyone outside of the medical world, even with my GP it would be reluctantly. Luckily my Dr is very good, that’s why she knew when I called her last July I was seen the next day and was given a thorough going over and sent off on my cancer voyage!

I can honestly say my outlook on health and weight has completely changed nowadays, the Monthly Challenges and my friends here have really been a big help!
    I think my Inner Warthog has gone on migration, (never heard from him for months now) and my view of the health world has completely changed. Certainly far more honest and open with friends and those who we know well. (out for a walk a few weeks ago, we met up with someone I hardly know who had obviously heard about my treatment and wanted ‘ all the gory details’ all she got was ‘I’m fine thanks’ as we wandered off)
    We have always been ‘foodies’ (and drinkies) enjoying the finer things in life, after all I brew craft beer, that’s not going to stop! But now I have lost the inner Warthog and am more careful regarding smaller portions and less alcohol these days. The weight is under control and I feel far healthier.

@daffodil2010 – Home brew starter kits, the start I made nearly 50 years ago with a pal, was a cheap kit from the local chemist shop! How things have changed! All I would suggest for a first attempt is keep it simple, you can buy a 10 litre brew kit and be reasonably successful with a big pan and brew on the kitchen hob! Don’t spend a lot on buying a ‘complete kit’ including ‘everything you need to start brewing’, it could cost a fair bit, start saving Pet bottles (lemonade/coke etc) and bottle in them for a first attempt.

Take care all

Pocket List for Thursday
    @fivetwofan5252
    @penz
    @i-hate-lettuce

Day 4 – Canada – NFD

Had a successful FD yesterday although I’ve not calculated the calories. OMAD seems to work for me.

I too stay quiet about using fasting as a WOL. I think there are a lot of misperceptions out there as you say @daffodil2010. I recently spoke with a physician friend who wants to lose weight so I made the mistake of talking about IF. She quickly reverted to the standard conversation about calories in / calories out. Fair enough, that’s her training, but that way of eating has never worked for me. 5:2 or 4:3 does. Looking forward to weigh day on Tuesday.

Stay strong all. DWV

Day 4 UK FD

Yes agree with all the above , in all honesty I doubt if I have ever been truly hungry I have certainly experienced huge cravings for food/drink but as I’ve never gone more than 24hrs without food it must be more mental than physical. When I first started 5:2 I tried to split my 500 3 ways as the idea of not having breakfast or lunch was completely alien to me , over time and I have to say following the good advice on this forum on FDs I have a black coffee for breakfast a cup of vegetable bouillon for lunch and then tuck into a hearty thai green curry and cauliflower rice for dinner

I’m delighted that my DH now joins me on my FDs and we feel healthier in so many ways – all I have to do is sort out the other 5 days of the week😇

Pocket List for Thursday
    @fivetwofan5252
    @penz
    @i-hate-lettuce
    @brightonbelle

Day 4 OMAD London

I agree with all the comments about how this WOL beats all other diets into a cocked hat. The calories in/ calories out stuff usually comes from people who have never tried to lose weight that way! I’m a huge fan of a podcast called ‘Fortunately’ which is very funny, but the other day I was listening to the two presenters, who are clued up women in their fifties, and they were being very disparaging about fasting. They both admit they’ve never had to lose weight, so I started shouting at the radio ‘ what the hell do you know!!!’ Then I calmed down a bit. They can’t hear you anyway…

Day 4 Melb Aust NFD

Hello all, after a disastrous pre- and post-Christmas eatathon, I am returning to the “clan” of 5:2ers.
    Like @flourbaby and maybe @penz?, I now have to painfully lose the 28 pound or so I’ve regained over the past 3-4 months. Sigh! Sigh! Sigh!

Anyway – brief bio – 71-y-old female, retired, single, household ruled by ginger tabby Wilbur, whose servant he considers me to be 🙂 Started 5:2 November 2018, lost about 14 kg, regained 11 kg over the 2019 December-January period, lost a further 15 kg and have now regained a goodly part of that. At least the yo-yo down is getting lower and the bounce-back isn’t as high, but I really need to work out why I’ve done this to myself each year.

@basyjames, As to the why? of losing weight – health, feeling and looking better, etc. What I’ve learnt in the process? How nice it is to be thinner, and how much worse I feel when I’m not.

@i hate lettuce, good to read your bouncy posts again. Hope you’re doing well with your health.

@northgeorgia, impressed with your determination, and glad to be reading the “saga” yet again.

@at, @michelinme, we’ll have to inspire each other yet again on our downward journeys.

Back tomorrow to my first FD in a LONG time!

Onward and downwards everyone!

Day 4, London, UK, NFD (OMAD),

@basyjames, I guess my biggest mindset change has been the realisation that I CAN actually lose weight!!! I think the trying & trying & trying was getting me down😢! Why ME😰? Why can’t I lose weight😭? I was following plan after plan and exercising like crazy, but the key for me has been the realisation that whatever I do in life to benefit myself and others isn’t worth a damn if it isn’t SUSTAINABLE!!!

@dvw, so true, CICO never worked for me😤, & even though 5:2 is effectively about creating a calorie deficit, it’s all about the WAY you create that deficit that has me fasting 4 yrs later …………………………….. now that’s sustainability😁!!!!

@at, I definitely go with sedentary, I know everyone around me thinks I am, but in fact ………………………………. I’m NOT perfect😇😜😜!!! The sedentary level gives my some wriggle room since I absolutely, positively know I’m going to need it 😉!!!

@mia139, we’ll hang onto you very tightly by week 2, for me the mojo usually goes missing just before the last week of these challenges, I’m staying mindful and I’ll remind myself ………………………………… “Most people give up right before the big break comes — don’t let that person be you.” – Michael Boyle

@betsylee, welcome back🤗. I’m glad (but not glad!) you’re joining a few of us who’ve seen the wagon disappear into the distance😟!!

Right, I’m off to do some work and avoid the kitchen until as late as possible!!! I won’t limit my choices today, but they will be keto, it will be OMAD and I will close the kitchen as soon as I’ve washed up!! Perhaps I’ll end up brushing my teeth 3 or 4 times this evening😁!!!

Stay strong everyone!!!!💪 💪

Day 4 Oxfordshire, UK – FD800

Yesterday was a FD800 and I think today will be too. My scales are my friend this week.

@betsylee – welcome back

@fivetwofan5252 – interesting point about not eating so many vegetables with EOD/ADF. It’s all about trying to get the right balance.

@mia139 – I am just the same. First and last week my motivation is spot on, then it waivers in the middle. I really want Feb to be the month I break that pattern.

@at I’m 5’1 ½” (thought I was 5’2” )
    My goal is 57kg which gives me a BMI of 23.1.
    Over the winter because I am less active, only walking the dog once a day plus yoga I opt for sedentary TDEE goal of 1314 calories.
    Over the summer months when I am more active, running and yoga, I opt for lightly TDEE goal of 1506 calories.
    I think the moderately figure would lead me into danger. It also leaves me with some wiggle room for under calculating.

The biggest mind set change is that I don’t feel a failure over my weight anymore. I know it fluctuates and I know I have a proven tool now. Also, I don’t mind being hungry and I know I can treat myself as long as it isn’t too often.

Stressful afternoon here yesterday. DD’s house purchase was hanging in the balance… ( I didn’t give in to emotional eating or drinking as I might have done in the past.)
    Update today is that estate agents have said vendors will go to their solicitors to sign this afternoon. So we have everything crossed for them.

Pocket List for Thursday day 4
    @fivetwofan5252
    @penz
    @i-hate-lettuce
    @brightonbelle
    @suki2 FD800

DTF
    @suki2

5×30 Exercise
    @suki2

Day 4 – UK – FD500

Early start again with a 7am Broga class followed by a 9am Aerobic one – showered then off for lunch service at our Parish Centre for a hot meal to be packed and then delivered to those in need in our community.

Now back home enjoying my first cup of tea of the day but 1200mls of water already consumed – today will be my 2nd FD500 of this week – I’m trying to stick to OMAD on my FDs as I’m one who needs food in the evening if I’m to get a good night’s sleep. On my NFD I do a light Brunch/lunch and an evening meal. Luckily for me I never feel hungry on waking and so it’s easy to belong to the ZBC.

@mia139 – I tend to be motivated at the beginning too but then tend to lapse but I have also promised myself to stay strong and be a Fab Faster this February! We can encourage each other this month….
    @fivetwofan5252 – you are definitely not on a pocket list of one!
    @i-hate-lettuce – I think I can safely say that we are all equally glad that you have joined our group and if in a small way we have helped you during the testing times during the last 6 months or so then even better – we are so glad that you are part of these monthly challenges 🤗
    @betsylee – lovely to see you back with us and yes there is a small group aiming to lose those 2 stones so you are in good company as we know that TOGETHER WE ARE STRONGER
    @flourbaby – you are so right – we have to lose weight for ourselves and when in our minds we have decided that, then it makes the journey that bit easier as we are doing it for ourselves and in the process learning to love “me”
    @suki2 – sounds a sensible way to manage TDEE – thank you. I’m 165cm and fairly active – on average doing 5-7 exercise classes a week (mixture of Broga, High Intensity Pilates, Aerobics and Yoga) and hiking when the weather is good around 2-3 days each week so I think to be sensible I should set my TDEE on lightly active which would give me around 1500cals

On the topic of “hunger” I think that I can safely say that very few of us have ever experienced true hunger but unfortunately we were conditioned to think that the normal was to have 3 meals a day and snacks in between……I’m truly glad that I found this WOL and that it works for me and I agree with others that it does take “working at” to stay in maintenance…..

Pocket List for Thursday Day 4
    @fivetwofan5252
    @penz
    @i-hate-lettuce
    @brightonbelle
    @suki2 FD800
    @at FD500

DTF 🚫🍸🍷🍺🥂
    @suki2
    @stitchincarol
    @ccco

ZBC 🚫
    @at – every day!

Exercise 🏋️‍♀️ 30×5
    @suki2
    @at (today 45min Broga and 1hr Aerobics)

I am reminding myself this month that “If I quit now, I will soon be back to where I started. And when I started, I was desperately wishing to be where I am now”

USA. Day 4. FD800

Pocket List Day 4
    @fivetwofan5252
    @penz
    @i-hate-lettuce
    @brightonbelle
    @suki2 FD800
    @at FD500
    @ccco FD800

DTF 🚫🍸🍷🍺🥂
    @suki2
    @stitchincarol
    @ccco. Dry February

ZBC 🚫
    @at – every day!

Exercise 🏋️‍♀️ 30×5
    @suki2

So far so good, especially with dry February. I have also started Keto. Four good days so far! I’ve already lost 3 lbs., so I am on a roll! Fingers crossed 🙏!

I’ve read everyone’s posts and hope everyone is able to stay motivated (including myself LOL).

Have a great day! 🙂

Day 4 North Canton OH FD800

Yesterday was a successful LFD, all I had was the black coffee and it did not come with a side of headaches like my previous water fasts, I briefly thought about extending the liquid fast for another day but decided not to; I will go for a protein heavy 800 calories today. The scale showed a 2-pound drop this morning which is toe-curlingly delightful.

@at even though I am active, I use the sedentary options to calculate my TDEE to make sure I am staying well below it. I learned that somewhere…but not sure where

@ccco Keto is tough but you are tougher, I hope it works for you. We are here to support and motivate you to stay the course. It is a short month afterall.

@mogaman keep on keeping on, eventually the scales will respond as you very well know

@somgbirdme isn’t it amazing the difference that sunshine makes?

@fivetwofan5252 who says you can’t be a pocketlist of one? but never fear- you are not

@daffodil2010 I got OH home kit from amazon, he still has not had time to put it together. I am hopeful that it works. It looks like you will have the benefit of your past experiences. Let us know how it goes.

@i hate lettuce I have noticed a difference in your willingness to share your thoughts and experiences with us, and we appreciate that

My doctor is very supportive of my fasting regimen, she was concerned when I tried keto 2 years ago because of the effect that it had on my cholesterol (it skyrocketed); and I eventually gave it up because I was concerned as well. But overall she has been a great partner in my wellness journey and I am thankful for her

@betsylee so great to have you back

@flourbaby – Right?! whatever weight loss regimen we use has got to work and it has to be sustainable.

@suki2 fingers crossed that the sale goes through without any issues

@at Until 6years ago, I thought that frequent small meals was the way to go for weight loss. I am so glad that I have seen the light.

Pocket List Day 4
    @fivetwofan5252
    @penz
    @i-hate-lettuce
    @brightonbelle
    @suki2 FD800
    @at FD500
    @ccco FD800
    @basyjames FD800

DTF 🚫🍸🍷🍺🥂
    @suki2
    @stitchincarol
    @ccco. Dry February

ZBC 🚫
    @at – every day!

Exercise 🏋️‍♀️ 30×5
    @suki2
    @basyjames upper body day!

“I will go anywhere, as long as it’s forward” David Livingston

Day 4 Minnesota, US FD

Pocket List Day 4
    @fivetwofan5252
    @penz
    @i-hate-lettuce
    @brightonbelle
    @suki2 FD800
    @at FD500
    @ccco FD800
    @basyjames FD800
    @northerndawn

DTF 🚫🍸🍷🍺🥂
    @suki2
    @stitchincarol
    @ccco. Dry February
    @northerndawn

ZBC 🚫
    @at – every day!
    @northerndawn

Exercise 🏋️‍♀️ 30×5
    @suki2
    @northerndawn

DAY 4 France FD800

Bonjour. Just a quick check in today. FD800 going well and today we’ve had sun and 14c! I’ve dug up some leeks and prepared them for the freezer. I also pruned a huge fig tree and did some weeding so some nice steady exercise.

Well done to everyone who’s fasting today.

À demain

Pocket List Day 4
    @fivetwofan5252
    @penz
    @i-hate-lettuce
    @brightonbelle
    @suki2 FD800
    @at FD500
    @ccco FD800
    @basyjames FD800
    @northerndawn
    @clemmi FD800

DTF 🚫🍸🍷🍺🥂
    @suki2
    @stitchincarol
    @ccco. Dry February
    @northerndawn

ZBC 🚫
    @at – every day!
    @northerndawn

Exercise 🏋️‍♀️ 30×5
    @suki2
    @northerndawn

Day 4 USA (Illinois) NFD

Forgot to step on the scale this morning (unlike me to forget) but still feeling the same.

Hope to read posts and respond more soon. New snowstorm is upon us, but today is laundry day, so staying inside. Oh, except for feeding my very voracious birds.

Onward and downward.

Day 4 UK FD

I forgot to post yesterday! Felt unwell, grumpy & frustrated but stopped from posting by broadband issues. Not the most balanced day’s eating as mostly thrown together from leftovers but still within TDEE.

I’m heading for a OMAD FD800 which will do me. I had a sneaky peek at the tape measure for extra motivation and think I may have lost another 0.5″/1cm from my fat suit. I’ll count every scrap of progress!

Yesterday I received vaccination invitation as person with v high risk of complications. This was the first indication that I should have been shielding but luckily I worked that out for myself. A strange validation after such a long struggle! Off for vaccination tomorrow, which is wonderful.

@betsylee welcome back. There are four of us in the 28lb club – @daffodil2010 @flourbaby @clemmi & me: Welcome! x

Day 4 UK FD

Day has gone well.. one meal of chicken and veg and off to bed soon so count that a good day! So thankful for the great support on this forum! It really does help.

Day 4 – Rural Nebraska, USA – FD turned into…dunno, LOL!

I was out the door fifty minutes after waking up this morning as I had lots to do to get my music ready to play organ for this morning’s funeral (wow, that’s a convoluted sentence, LOL!), so didn’t have time to post. And now I’m exhausted, LOL!

It was supposed to be a FD, but the box lunch that was served after the funeral (sandwich on lovely bread, small bag of chips, other stuff I didn’t eat) was too tempting. So I ate it, and just now also had an orange. Now I’m trying to persuade myself that was enough food to last me until I go to bed. No idea if I’ll succeed in believing that, but if I do, the sandwich and the chips were not likely to be very far off from 500, so even with the orange, I’m okay. But the next four hours will be very challenging. I’ll just keep reminding myself hard is not impossible, right?

I’ll do a better job of responding to individual posts tomorrow; good luck to all on the pocket lists and with all goals for today!

Day 5, NFD, Aus

TGIF!!! I completely blew yesterday’s FD. Bad me. And yes, @betsylee, I am definitely in that club of needing to lose Christmas weight as well as an additional tonne. (Well, it feels like a tonne.)

My motivation is strong at the beginning of the week, and dissipates by the end. I have a weekly pattern of doing this, not a monthly one!

Have a great weekend everyone!

Day 1 16/8 AUS
    SW: 66.6 kilos. I’d love to lose 3-4 kilos this month.

Day 4 – USA/GA – NFD

Sorry, late check-in. 228.8 lbs this morning. Crazy day. Now filling in and doing the jobs of four full-time folks and need to take a mental health day soon! See you in about 8 hours for day 5’s check in 🙂

Viewing 50 posts - 51 through 100 (of 436 total)

You must be logged in to reply.