Aussie Determination

This topic contains 14,766 replies, has 323 voices, and was last updated by  Countrygal1 2 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 4,851 through 4,900 (of 14,786 total)

• Lotus – I completely agree re the cheese platters. I couldn’t be bothered cooking when I finally got home last night so sat down to 60g of brie, 60g of apricot and almond cream cheese and some vitawheat multigrain crackers, and a few olives and sundried tomatoes and 500 cals later!!!! oops oh well I ate well the rest of the day anyway so it wasn’t too bad. but its amazingly easy to go over when you don’t think about it before hand.

Suejen that recipe sounds lovely, I’ll try it, but a smaller version….oh quince paste and jelly. I did my quinces about three weeks ago but this year just poached them with a bit of vanilla and a few drops of liquid sweetener, very yum, and froze in portion zip lock bags. If I did paste OR jelly this year I’d find it too hard to leave alone. 🙂 with hot buttered toast or crackers….mmmmm
    FB stay well little friend, work does get in the way of living at times but try to pace yourself, remember we work to live, not live to work! 🙂
    I find I’m doing a mimi fast today, should finish up around 600-650 cals with my real fast tomorrow. I find after a very low cal day or a fast day, I never seem overly hungry the next day but even if I do go over a bit 1200cals in two days is still a good effort. It just seems to be the way my meals are working out so I’m going with it.
    What wonderful support you are team to all our members, no matter what issues anyone is having. WE ARE NOT ALONE on life’s path, be it 5:2 or whatever, such a warm feeling knowing our support is non judgmental and very human. Our path is never smooth but the warmth shown in friendship by you is enormous, what lovely people you are.
    Almost time to start prep for dinner, tonight I’m having fresh fish on a bed of homegrown beans I just picked with a mixed of homegrown silverbeet and tomatoes, lots of salt and pepper, very yum, might just have the odd dab of butter makes all the difference in flavour. Will check out your recipe Mom, thankyou for sharing.
    Have a lovely evening team…CG xx
    Onesully, welcome, are you joining us? You are more than welcome if you wish to…CG

Mom, I can quite easily eat a complete round of brie cheese, so yum, so easy, then woops, oh the cals…but so worth it dairy is a lot healthier than other options 🙂 feel positive, think of the junk you could’v and didn’t have…CG xx

oh I know CG – would have been easier to get take away or have 2 min noodles like the kids (all they wanted and they generally eat pretty well)
    I was happy to sit and enjoy my 500 cals worth of treats with a glass of wine and didn’t feel too guilty. I even have enough left to repeat it on Saturday night 🙂 and your dinner sounds yummy too. I really need to get the garden set up again to grow fresh veg because I know the landlords used to have it all set up and I have kind of let it go crazy just need to rip it all out and start again!

M.O.M

Mom, great to get the kids involved in too…happy gardening 🙂 CG xx

Bali, been thinking of you, are you doing okay, stay strong, our thoughts are with you, take care…CG xxxx we are here for you 🙂

CG forgot to say that you are right…the article I posted does sound exactly like you! Tis why we all find this such a great place. suejen

Oh thankyou, have a lovely evening, tasting your yummy cooking, have to try it on a cracker to see if it’s cooked…right? 🙂 …CG xxx

Evening to all… WELCOME TO ALL NEW MEMBERS…Hope you enjoying being part of this wonderful thread and enjoy the amazing benefits of the 5:2 WOL… It’s one great journey to be part of.
    MY OH is not at all well… He is in bed with “Man Flu” thank the stars he can work from home and be warm instead of being on one of several cold ,wet building sites he has in progress… I think he has used my 4P’s!
    I am doing my famous B2B just in case any of the Melbourne indulgences sneak up on me. Just putting my AUSSIE DETERMINATION TO THE FOR.
    SJ-are you sure your post/link is not CG sounds just like her. I know only too well how you are feeling about your conflict with your daughter, several weeks ago I went through similar stress with my Mum ….remember where it put me. Mums n daughters have this love /hate time ..we mean no harm always BUT things we say when heated do not come out how we mean… give her time… Your love for each other will always win through.HUGS TO YOU xxx
    FB- I miss you so . Pls take care and have me time. Thank the stars for your parents being there at this busy time. and Congrats on your your new project at work.
    BALI- as CG said we are here -take care ..hope you are ok xxxx
    I am off tomorrow. I have a full day of house work …I still have not entirely unpacked from Melbourne. This time last Wednesday FB and I were celebrating my birthday at CROWN… what a wonderful night that was.The week has gone so quick , the memories will last forever.
    Hope you have planned for your FAST DAY tomorrow. Enjoy your evening……GO GAL

Dinner verdict – delish. Will post my 211cal gardeners pie recipe version later. Tweaked it to make it a super fast dinner. And had cals left for some warm pie apple with cinnamon & custard! Perfect Fd winters warmer. Kids declared today pieless pie day as neither “pies” had crusts lol

Hi all, I have to share, the weight if dropping off. I hope to be at my goal weight very soon. .8 to go.

I decided to up the ante while still doing 5/2 by eating less on NF days but I couldn’t possibly have done this if it were not for 5/2 in the first place.

I need less food, I am not nearly as hungry and I am not denying myself anything. And I have learned how to eat better and make my calories count.

So yesterday, a NF day, I had maybe half a cup of cottage cheese, full fat when I got hungry and during late afternoon I had a boiled egg. My husband had come home a bit hungry but I suggested that he grab an egg himself rather than something carb loaded which would lead him to overeat so close to dinner. That was what made me suddenly think that I wanted one.

I seriously was not hungry throughout the day. I drank coffee, tea and water throughout the day and dinner was chicken curry, Rogan Josh. I had cucumber and full fat yoghurt with it as well as mango chutney. I had mine on mashed cauliflower and gave my husband rice. I ate, like I always do, as much as him!

I didn’t calorie count, I just ate what I wanted. I don’t keep carbs or bad food in the house. I no longer want rice. I never had a sweet tooth anyway.
    I previously mentioned that cutting out the wine or 2 that I had while cooking dinner was making a differnce. I think my TDEE used to come from there!
    I also do not keep my real weakness, yummy cheeses, in the house although often lunch, my first meal of the day is thinly sliced tasty cheese on corn thins.

I am not suggesting others should do what I am doing, just that for the moment I am happy with my spin on it. I could not have begun to do this before 5/2.

Tonight I will be having atlantic salmon and salad but the salad will have avocado and some cheese. I have some berries and ice cream for dessert. Berries are so much cheaper here in the U.S that I am taking advantage and the icecream is locally made at the university. I probably won’t eat a huge amount before this, probably corn thins.

I hope you don’t mind me posting all this, I certainly am not trying to talk anybody else into skipping meals or starving themselves if that is what it seems I may be doing. And I know everybody has their own food prefernces. What I quite enjoy probably sound ghastly to others.

I think I am like a horse sensing it is nearly home, I can’t help racing a bit!

I will fast tomorrow, boiled egg, cherry tomatoes for lunch and dinner steak and a non fat salad.

Still cold here but yesterday was 16 and today will be warmer. I only walked 5,000 steps yesterday as I don’t want to go out in the cold unless I have to.
    I much prefer to be on the computer , reading or painting. Today I will try and get out there.

My husband is happy, he is losing well too with 5/2.
    Have a good day.

Wow Uptight! Great results, and thanks so much for sharing the “how tos”. It certainly helpful, so please share whatever tips/ tricks you have. And you are so close to graduating (goal weight) 😉
    I too have decided to go for six weeks without alcohol ( never drank more twice week and just one drink) as I find I load in snacks and eats when I have alcohol.
    Also found restricted eating ( less hunger, easily satiated now) on non FDs helps.
    Current 73.8 kg this morning so have lost about 1 kilo in the last week.

I still eat carbs though 🙂 I like them 🙂

Good morning team, very chilly and frosty but usually means a lovely day to follow
    Upt, what great results for you, we all have to do what works for us. I totally agree with the full fat items too, as a smaller amount is needed to satisfy than with low fats. Years ago that was all we ever had, no such thing as low fat, skinny anything, all unadulterated foods and no such thing as the obesity epidemic.Well done.
    More storms on the way for the North coast and Qld so please take care.
    Fast day again team, YOU CAN DO IT, don’t obsess with food, drink plenty it does help you feel full, stay busy, veggie sticks for nibbles or hb egg for that arvo filler. Tomorrow is weigh in and as we know, some weeks we lose some weeks we don’t but you are so much better off than prior to 5:2, your odd blow out is still so much better than the way you were eating prior to joining 5:2 and AUSSIE DETERMINATION. Don’t forget protein with meals give a longer full feeling, even try tofu, bit of spray in a pan and just fry cubes of it, really nice added to soup or salads.
    Have a great day team, be happy, remember the happiest people don’t have the best of everything, they make the best of everything 🙂 … CG xxxx

Ha, Lotus! I still like carbs too!But I do feel better if I have them less often.
    Thanks, CG,I wasted a lot of time with low fat stuff that is actually full of added chemicals etc so was pleased to find out that it is now OK.

Good morning to you all,

Still early evening time here in on the West Coast of the US. I have been doing the 16:8 this week. End of my third day. Have managed anywhere between 16 and 18 hours between meals. For anyone else out there using this plan of IF, I decided to try it to see how my body responds overall.

So far, okay int he mornings, push through the initial hunger which doesn’t last for long. If I include HIT training then I am good to go. It is a bit harder in the evenings. Of course int he morning I have some thing to look forward to. Will be weighing in in the next few days along with measurements. Am curious, as I have resisted so far. I am embracing that the healing isnt always visible with this WOL, but am paying attention to my overall health and mood. Sleep, better, mood ,better most of the time. Had a strange bout of fatigue on Monday. Couldn’t shake it. Headaches, gone. Still concerned about pain in hands feet and elsewhere but will not know until I visit the rheumatologist and naturopath. Am hoping that I have something more manageable. Wishing you all a good FD.

Good morning fellow Determined Aussies-
    I’ve been living the 5:2 for 8 weeks now and the weight hasn’t been moving as fast as I’d hoped. So, I thought it might be time to find some support (and don’t worry, I can offer some too!). So I just say that I hope there’s room here for one more.
    I’ve read the most recent posts and it seems I have a lot in common. Things like wine and creamy cheese most notably.
    I’m fasting today. Drinking chamomile tea and lots of water. I wait til dinner to eat. Otherwise, I trigger my hunger response and feel miserable all day.
    Thanks for listening.
    If you’re fasting-hang in. If your eating-enjoy but not too much. 😉

Good Day ADs
    Sneaking in to check on the activity here while having my lunch. I am not fasting today, so just had a brown rice and Quinoa sushi, very filling and healthy. Also had some homemade spud salad and some grapes. Its strange when we come into swing with fasting, even NFD meals get healthier and sorted.
    I am planning to get back on my 4:3 , so will be fasting again tomorrow. Then weigh in on Saturday for me.

Fighting with flu n having monster like sneezes. I am trying to not scare my fellow colleagues with my constant sneezing… LOL But this Jarrah hot choc is really doing me favors as its warm and inviting. Very comforting with the flu specially.

Lotus, I ended up making some chia seed with mango coconut water pods as per your recipe. Its sitting in my fridge, so will have the verdict tomorrow 😉

Up, loved your post. Please continue to share your experiences and choices as it does help others.
    GG, thanks for the wonderful wishes and the lilies that you bought for mum are blooming beautifully!!!

Welcome Lacie, there’s definitely lots of room here for you. When you say that the weight is not moving as fast as you hoped for, would you like sharing the numbers. One of the team members may be able to shed some more light if we have more details (we like details you see 😉 )

To all those fasting today, Stay strong and think about a slimmer fitter yourself. As it is rightly said, “Nothing tastes as good as being slim”

Bye for now..
    FB

Hi to all. Am on a FD and just did the gentler exercises (ab crunchies, 2k wt sets and treadmill- hour and a half total) just can’t make the exercise bike ATM. though I know a concentrated effort to exercise on the 2nd FD each week, Thurs, gets me the results a few days later and helps to minimise the effects of week end blow outs. Thinking I’m on a bit of a yoyo and need to steady up on patting my own back with treats every time I see progress! Bah! I was so delighted with my flashing 82’s and my medical checkup I had a MacDonald’s big mac! and several bourbons, with real coke (did taste yum!).

Not so cocky today, had a bit of a reaction to the flue shot as well, sore arm and foul headache, probably means it’s stirring up the immunity, so all good. Did get to read some of yesterday’s posts (and the article , agree it could be CG!) but gave up in favour of just saying hello. and welcome to newbys, always room for one more! AT least I can report all my blood results so far have put me in better than average condition for age and the weight loss was duly praised (cholesterol down to 4 as apposed to previously 8+ and sugar is a perfect 6 average!). So 5:2 be praised! and you, too, UP! well done on adjusting to new territory and staying on track! Hope Fit is enjoying her family holiday. Here’s to blasting plateaus! At least I can sit here and work on my double chins! Hope some of you looked up the ‘neck perfect’ gadget, I believe it’s working! haveagoodday! gyps

Hi team, just in from three hours mowing on my ride on, glorious day, very sunny and warm, just beckons you out to play 🙂 Still plenty of apples to pick, mainly Granny smiths now and I have a heap of pineapple guavas on the ground so lots of healthy fruits still on the go. Welcome lacie, 5:2 is a slow process and gradual, but as one who has lost 25k be told, it does work. You have dribs and drabs so to speak but over all the loss continues. You need to stay with it, try your tape meadure, it could surprise you. YOU ARE NOT ALONE, we are all here to help and support you, so stay with it.
    Gyps, wow to all that exercise, congrats to you and what great blood results, as we say, 5:2 is working even if the scales don’t always show it 🙂
    I’m off to see my surgeon tomorrow, back to Melbourne, my daughter drives from her place, too much damn traffic for this country girl to tackle these days and SO many new roads!!!So hope to be told what to expect and what he will do, still think it will be a couple of months off but I can see light at the end of this endless tunnel. 🙂
    Lovely to here from you FB, look after yourself and pace your work, remember to eat!
    Well, ready for a bit of lunch, salad with some leftover fish from last night I couldn’t finish, then a stirfry for dinner. Stay happy team, you are what you think, and it shows on the outside too…CG xxx

Hello everyone. Welcome Lacie.
    Once again many interesting posts and dramas that go on in our lives. It’s just good they to be able to share even if our team cannot always find the solution for you. Family upsets can be very difficult. Many year ago now I had some words to say to my sister in law who had been rude to some overseas guests at a Xmas barbie at our place. She NEVER forgave me and remains bitter to this day. The result being that her, now adult children have their only other relies in Australia that they’ve become estranged from. It really is sad and quite ridiculous.
    FD here and it’s going well. I’m having the Red Lentil Dahl for supper that’s on our recipe thread.
    Pepper the pooch had an interesting morning. We had a one on one obedience lesson in puppy training. She is very experienced and oh so good. She had him walking perfectly on the leash and has lots of exercises for me to do with him over the next week.
    Take care team and happy 5:2 ing.
    XX Doggy

Afternoon AD’S…..WELCOME LACIE…. glad to have you on the thread. Be patient and stick to the 5:2 way …things are already occurring on the inside of your body! You will see them soon on the outside.As FB has said for us to advise we need more info, don’t be shy! we have all been in your shoes. WE LOVE INFO!!!
    Cannot wait for this B2B to be over . Twis a bit of a stuggle this time round ,not having done one for so long. I have kept busy with my house chores and now writting the hunger gurgles have began. The miso is calling me thinks……GO GAL xxxx
    PS CG -we were eating chicken and prawn dumplings this time last week. xxxx

Oh we were too GG, I forgot…we were going to go back for another meal because they were so yum but didn’t get back….next year 🙂 take care xxxx

Hi All,
    I have just started this week and am on my second day…. Not feeling all that successful at this point! I get to 3pm and become quite shaky and weak. I had a cup of soup approx 12.30 but nothing else until I get to this crisis point! Any help for how I get past this, please?
    MelbGirl

Melbgirl, welcome, there is no need to starve yourself, have a hard boiled egg or veggie straws in the arvo, it does carry you through. Grab a coffee with milk in it or tea, it wont alter much. We can help you plan your fast days, but you never starve. Do you have a cup a soup handy or a bit of fruit? Of course what ever you have, add it to you daily cal intake, but and egg is the best…take care, and keep the fluids up, plenty of water, tea or coffee with a bit of milk… even a diet coke helps keep you full…CG xxx

Melbgirl, the problem too is once you get home you may start over eating, so have an early dinner, lots of filling low cal salad or coleslaw, even stirfry, filling and low cal. But be careful tonight, if you are hungry, the hot chocolates available now are quite low cal, 40something cals, so they fill you and help the urge to eat something sweat, check the labels for the cal count. YOU CAN DO IT, ….CG xx

Hello All!
    Fasters- the day is almost over… hang in there, you can do it!!!
    Melbgirl – As CG said, no need to starve, as that is not a sustainable way for this WOL (it IS a marathon not a sprint). I usually have 4-5 celery / carrot sticks with a teaspoon of hummus spread on them or a small mandarin at about 4 pm. Not very calorific, both are about 45 calories each, with an added fibre boost (these things make a difference the next day lol!).
    FB – hope your flu gets better soon.

UP-Great post and a BIG CONGRATULATION on your loss.You must have a huge grin on your little face ….soooo well done.

Welcome MELBGIRL- As CG and LOTUS have said do not starve . The HB egg, miso and veggie sticks will save you on FD, also drink plenty of fluids.
    Dinner is now around the corner Salmon and stir fry veggies…. I am nearly there with B2B. for the week.
    Have a fabulous evening……GO GALxxxx

So I am trying a hack this fortnight you guys. A Lite n Easy 1800cal 7 day week split over 2 weeks, with a few snacks and wines added in. Av 1100cal food NDF and 400cal on FD. What a task splitting into 2 weeks food, but boy it looks like a lot.

Moongal, I’m not really sure what your doing? Normal fresh veggies with some protein is really all you need. Homemade soup for lunch, all fresh veg, or cauliflower soup or pumpkin soup. You sound like your making something so easy very complicated. You can still have a wine or two on NF days. Check out the web for meals under 200-300-400 cals, there are so many easy cheap recipes you can make. But just normal home cooking is enough. Just stay away from carbs as best you can…good luck CG xx

Thanks CG. I know it’s not a typical approach, just having a try of something that will keep me in line. Different strokes for different folks right? I love cooking and real food. Just a short term hack. 🙂

That’s fine moongal, as long as you know what you’re doing. Have you read the book? It is really only two days fasting at 500cals then normal eating up to your TDEE, which you can calculate in the How section at the top of this page. It is very easy to do and sustainable. It’s not a fad diet, it’s a way of life. Good luck with which ever path you follow 🙂 CG xx

I know CG. It is fine. Haven’t read the book, but made a long studied journey to fasting for health. I have calculated my TDEE, and have used that as a base for my decision process. As a peace offering in light of my heathen experiment, please check out the 5:2 recipes at the paddingtonfoodie.com a driven aussie if I ever saw one. Fair warning, there are some pretty decadent recipes along for the ride too. http://thepaddingtonfoodie.com/2015/04/08/eat-fast-and-live-longer-a-5-2-fast-diet-recipe-idea-under-300-calories-pumpkin-and-spinach-dahl/

Great recipes moongal, thankyou for sharing. No peace offering needed, we are here to support and help you on this wonderful path of 5:2 and yes do whatever suits you. We all have different methods of following 5:2 as long as you feel healthy and don’t starve yourself. I just follow the original 5:2 and have had great success, maybe I’m lazy but as they say, if it ain’t broke, why try to fix it 🙂 have a lovely evening CG xx

Hi team, tough day. Finally home from MelbVegas. some evenings you just need stuff like this…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fo6aKnRnBxM

Loved it Andrew brings back memories, rest up and enjoy your evening, long day for you….CG xx

Hello all,
    Greetings from the Pacific Northwest. Lovely morning here. MELBGIRL, congratulations on starting what we all believe will be a new way of life, a new relationship with food and a feeling so freedom of you continue with this WOE/WOL.

My first week was definitely the most difficult and the first FD, I do not want to experience again. I felt unwell, shaky and when I finally sat down to eat my dinner, had a burst of anxiety that was unpleasant. It could have been due to a variety of things. The important thing is that I did not let it deter me for the second FD, which went better. I am now in my fourth week and it really has been a transformation regarding how I relate to hunger, when I eat, etc. Many of my fears about food took a back seat. Someone of these fears I didn’t even know I had until I started this WOL. For instance, thinking that I had to eat every three hours to lose weight, that I woudl get headaches, fall apart… Not true, in fact I felt better in so many ways. I do believe it will get easier, but power changes are going on inside of you and it is understandable that you will feel a bit shaky to start. No fears. I think I can say with confident e and many would back me up here that this will pass and become so much easier with some FD’s that go by without a hitch. I have had FD happen all on their own, and have accepted that a day picked for a FD was not right for me and scrapped it for another day. Monday and Thursday’s are adopted by many, but it is not a hard and fast rule.
    Off to another long day. I am doing the 16:8 this week and so far so good.
    A question for anyone out there who has done the 16:8. I have noticed that some folks say that if you keep your caloric intake under 50 calories that your body will remain in a fasted state. Any thoughts? I have had a couple of mornings on the 16:8 where I ate 4-5 almonds in the morning and then waited another 3-4 hours before ingesting food.
    I was eating some of the other posts last night, and while they are all grat they are just not the same as this group. I keep wanting to find a group in my area but so far, I have not been able to find anything. You are such a great support. Glad to be a part of it.

Raven3 Great work. It does get so much easier as you are finding.

Moongal, I don’t fully understand what you meant but I totally get the hack. I definitely found it easier to have my frozen Bird’s Eye steamed fish and frozen steamed vegetable packets when I started because it helped me not obsess about food. I just forgot about it and knew what I was having and then it took minutes to prepare in the microwave and it made it all so doable. Now that I am in the U.S I can’t get those but I am at the point where I can easily cook happily on FD’s but I still keep it simple, protein and veg or salad.

Speaking of protein, that is the secret Melb Girl. Protein is filling, I hope you like eggs because as others have said, they fill the hole. Otherwise, tuna
    or lean chicken etc.

Lacie, welcome, you are in the right spot. Good luck, plateaus are demoralising. Maybe we can help you with a tweak.

Doggie, excellent about your pooch! I am missing mine like crazy.

Thanks to those who said my post was OK, I was a bit worried.

Also, you know that I use MFP for my ticker. I don’t really log food any more but have those of you who use it looked at the reports. I don’t do it often but to be able to see my graphs over the short and long term are very reinforcing! I showed my husband this morning and he was very impressed and also recognised the effort that I have put into this. All this positivity really helps.

Hope your fast days went well, I am just starting mine!

Yes, I agree. I keep it to lean protein and veggies on a fast day with an egg thrown in. Also a few almonds. I find that almonds, 4-5 can help get me through the hump. I do better the longer I put off eating. If I start too early it seems to kick on hunger pangs more, where if I start later, have my larger meal in the evening the I am fine. I also have used the kelp and zero noodles. I use cilantro, garlic, cocunut aminos (for those of you who can do soy, soy sauce works great) book chat or shitake mushrooms, then maybe a little hot sauce for warmth. This adds to about maybe 30-40 calories and really helps mid day with a sense of being filled up. You could also add chicken for mid day protein and cut back on dinner cals a bit.

Uptight what region in the US are you in? And don’t feel you have to answer if that makes you uncomfortable, soome people want to maintain their privacy and I respect that. I have no problem divulging I am in Poertland Oregon with a lot of ties to San franciscso where I lived for twenty years and where all my family are now.
    I am really looking forward to July when I will I go to Sonoma and San Fran. I will be wine tasting and fine dining but still plan to use the 16:8 there for most of the time to mitigate the damage. Most of you have finished your FD and are tucked away in your beds. Hope it was a good one and happy Friday to you when you wake.

Morning team, Upt and Raven really great posts, thank you. When helping a newbie it’s hard to put it all into words..You both put it so well. Raven, as with you doing 16.8 moongal is doing it her way. I still think though, in the beginning it is best to follow the basic 5:2 then experiment if you wish, but she is well informed, well read, and seems to know what she is doing, so I wish her luck.
    I hope Melbgirl reads your posts too, there is NO need to starve on fast days. The importance of an egg is invaluable as well as a few veggie straws to munch on, celery carrot capsicum or a mix. Very easy to pack into a container for work and really stops the arvo gurgles. It’s hard to believe something so simple can save a fast day from ruin 🙂
    Very cold this morning but 21 expected, glorious 1st day of Winter 🙂 I’m up before the chooks this morning, very early, heading to Melbourne about 7.30am so will give a quick weigh in before I go.
    Have a great day team, be your own cheerleader, believe in yourself, only look back to see how far you have come, and be proud! 🙂 CG xxxxx

Hi all, Thanks you for the wise words and support. I am dead set on making this work and was feeling very frustrated to not be able to last past mid-afternoon.
    Welcome to winter 🙂

Hi team, I was 75.5 when I left for Melbourne, and only one fast last week, came home (with GG’s extra 2k) at 77.6, weigh in in this morning 74.8k don’t cha just luv this way of life. Don’t forget quite often TWO days after a fast you get a better weigh in, if the scales didn’t smile today, be happy in knowing you ARE doing the right thing…and it will happen…happy day team 🙂 CG xxxx

Morning everyone,
    I’ve read the posts and WOW, thanks for all of the warm words of welcome. I’d try to address each of you individually, but don’t want to miss anyone. I better take a day or two to acclimate. One thing I did notice was “we like details” LOL
    I’ve doing 5:2 for eight weeks and lost only 5 kg. My FDs I’m really good, waiting til evening for my food so as not to trigger my hunger response. Then I stay under my 500. Other days, I’m mostly good. Wine. Wine is my downfall. *sigh* If I could enjoy only one. I am better off with NONE. So, this week I shall try to go alcohol free on non-fast days, save for tonight (Friday) and I’ll try only one glass-no top ups.
    Most annoying is that I’m flogging my guts out in the gym-every damn day-and it just doesn’t seem to make a difference. I mean, I want to lose another 10 kg but need to lose 15 more to be at an optimal weight for health. So, as you can see, I’m truly overweight. Why, oh why, isn’t the weight falling off? grrrr I’d planned a nice long walk doing errands for today. Alas, it’s raining. Again.
    Sorry to be such a sad sack. I will therefore finish with a bit more detail-the tape measure was kinder today than the scale-down 3 centimeters all up. I do like that 🙂
    Thanks again for having me!

PS If you are fasting today-good luck and be strong.
    If you’re eating-eat slowly, savor every mouthful, and most of all, enjoy it.

Hi team!

Apologies for the ultra-long post in advance

So many lovely, thoughtful and open posts. Not sure if I can ever do justice by acknowledging the knowledge pool you all are creating, and I forget who says what and the page doesn’t scroll up!!

Lacie – Congrats on the weight and centimeter loss – actually you have lost more than average weight – the average is supposed to be 1/2 pound weight loss a week for a woman, and you have lost more, as 5 kilos in 8 weeks = 10 pounds 🙂 And centimeter loss – 3 centimeters is a big deal!! But yes, as our muscles get a workout, they apparently collect water to repair themselves This repair is what builds more of happy, calorie burning muscles, so temporary weight gain is not anything to be worried about. In fact, its amazing 🙂
    As Raven pointed out- we are all taught by doctors and nutritionists to eat every few hours, especially eat breakfast, so in the beginning, I could not fast past 9:00 am – had to have a coffee and boiled egg to start :). After three months, I have pushed my first meal (just coffee with milk) to 11:00 am.
    One thing I have noticed about the weight loss, and everyone else says the same thing here, is that weight loss zig-zags at each point, each week or two weeks down the track being lower than the last weight point. For example, when I started, 78-77 kilos was a painful zig-zag for about 3 weeks, this week is 73-74, but the graph definitely points downwards 🙂

Moongal, CG, GG, Uptight et all. really interesting discussion on ready meals – I think, this WOL is flexible enough to tweak for our own needs, including ready-meals, just salad, no carbs or raw foods, or Mediterranean or Paleo – whatever works for you 🙂 I have had fun changing my meal plan every few weeks till found a combination that works (for now), it helps beat the diet fatigue that is possible if you have to eat same/similar things every week 🙂 Having said that, anecdotal from millions of examples – the lower-carb, higher veggie and some protein and some good fats diets work well. On fast days, we have less of the same thing and on non fast day more of the same things but maybe a glass/ bite of our favorite foods so we don’t feel deprived. Watching calorie / consumption on both times so we don’t fully go off the rails, and often (happily for me 🙂 ) I find that the food i logged-in was not that calorific or “evil” – so no guilt!

Andrew – hope your day is better today 🙂

Raven – From 16:8 followers / experts on the Net, they have suggested breaking fast 6 hours from rising and eating within the 8 hour window from there. My endocrinologist suggested ( when he prescribed 5:2 for me) to do this back-to-back (this is another study called the two-day diet, also a very written book) as better for insulin levelling. But, I found I was eating junk / above my TDEE on other 5 days, so decided on a pattern of 4:3 for fasting and 16:8 on non-fast days. I kept it for about 2 months and have since relaxed the 16:8 rule (don’t do it everyday) as family started protesting at how “unsociable” i had got 🙂

My own stats – keep me honest 🙂
    Start weight in Jan 2015 – 82.5 kg
    Current weight as of 29 April 2015 – 73.8 kg
    Goal weight – 65 kg, hopefully by August -September this year, but happy if it takes longer.
    Will do a DXA Scan to check fat levels and ideal body weight after that point.

Happy Friday, team!, and for those on the storm path, stay safe and possibly indoors.

DSTSS (Don’t Sweat The Small stuff)

Sorry! Forgot to add – as shape change (Shape Shift ?? LOL) is as important as kilos – I have gone down from size 16-18 to a comfortable size 12.

Hi all, great posts everybody, Lacey and Moongirl, welcome to the club, some sound advice from members. This thread is just one great collective goal. Even when you’re down you’ll feel the vibes lift you up.!

Andrew, great music link! Thanks. A blues rocker, huh? sounds a bit like a signature track for you, first up, it’s been a long year for you, all right, but what results! You’ll rock to ‘Take it to the limit’ this time next year, just keep the faith!

Weigh in day for me and I am finally seeing visible results of my plateau moving. 83.9 kgs this am, (but have seen flashes of the 82’s) I wasn’t very strict about measurements in the beginning, but since Jan I do know I have lost inches all round, at least 3.5 ins from hips. So very happy with that. I may be off line again soon. The weather is too nice to stay indoors on a computer. Gypsy belle and me are going on a bush ramble! Heh, heh, will take a photo when I find mecca! (that’ll be a tree, with crows, beside a river somewhere)best thing about a ramble is no fixed destination and no phones. Stay focused folks, cheers! Gyps xxx

PS. So today’s weigh in puts me past the first 10 kilo loss goal. and without a thing to wear! Oh, dear, guess who’ll be rugged up in old rags for winter, but lookout Spring! Glad rags for my last year of youth! (I’ll be 70 next year – let us see if I can defy the odds) xxx

Dear Gypsy on your Gypsybelle – May you always be young in body and spirit

Good Morning Team
    And congratulations to losers today!!! Love saying that..LOL
    Lacie, you have lost cms and that’s awesome. Lotus has pointed things in right direction, 5 kgs in 8 weeks is a good loss. I still have heaps to loose, approx 10 kilos (i will be happy with 7 to 8 honestly) and weight is coming off very slow now, I am aiming at 1.5 to 2 kilos a month now.
    Whereas, when I had 25 kilos to loose, I was losing approx 1 kilo per week. we cannot compare the losses with others as everyone has different body compositions. and different weight and height and goals.
    Like you, my problem was also wine (the villain for weight loss). I could not have just one as well, so my strategy was to water down wine (half glass wine and half glass sparkling water 🙂 ) I liked the fizz and it did not make me feel deprived. I still used to drink 3 glasses , however in reality, I was having only 1.5 glasses of wine. Then slowly, i started to stop having wine during weekdays and now I only drink on weekends (no mixing now..LOL )

I reckon step by step approach worked well for me and I was still losing weight.
    Remember its a WOL not a sprint, if you are doing all things right (I am sure you are doing it right), weight loss will happen. Stay there!!

Melbgirl, welcome and well done for dusting off the fast day. Every fast day counts, hang in, you can do it!

Moongal, I would say its very smart of you to try things and mixing them up. It takes a while to figure out what works best for this WOL to be sustainable.

CG, You clever countrygal, how did you do that?? You are doing so well, broke that 75 kg barrier as well. Very happy for you!
    GG, you are a real B2B queen.
    Upt you are my inspiration, who loses weight while being on holidays??? You DO, and congratulations!!! and Raven, I did 16:8 almost year and half a ago (did not know 5:2 existed then), I got results but not as good as 5:2.
    And yes as far as I remember, you can have less than 50 cals in the morning, so I used to have a black coffee with a dash of milk.

Lotus, Very very informative and good post. Thanks for the details and putting it all so well.

I am fasting today, doing my 4:3. Will post my weigh in results tomorrow.
    Looking forward to see some more weigh in results. Keep ’em coming team!!!
    FB

Viewing 50 posts - 4,851 through 4,900 (of 14,786 total)

You must be logged in to reply.