31 Day January 2017 Challenge

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
31 Day January 2017 Challenge

This topic contains 2,437 replies, has 150 voices, and was last updated by  Fuvvie 7 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 301 through 350 (of 2,440 total)

• US. Tomorrow first FD…..two days of lchf, and so far so good.

Day 3 – Perth, W.Aust – FD – woohoo it’s here, kind of feel I’ve been cheating as I started with 2 NFD πŸ˜‰

Lots done already today, had to have an early start as it is going to be one of our amazing hot summer days here (30 degrees C at 8.30am is a good start, heading to 39). Dog got her walk at 6am, and then I got a bike ride in at 7am, back home, showered and brekky done. I plan to keep busy the whole day, although mostly ‘mind’ work and catching up with family, as it will be too hot to go hurtling around the place for the rest of the day.

I enjoyed planning my meals for today, have gone for brekky, lunch and dinner, all at much reduced portion sizes, but at least this way I hope it will feel normal, just smaller. Breakfast came in at 200cal, lunch will be 80cal, leaving me 220cal for dinner, and have my home made iced tea infusions ready to go. I’m using MyFitnessPal to track the fasting days, as I know I can be a bit heavy handed. So will see how I go.

BTW, I’m impressed with those of you who are doing longer water fast days, not something I’m up for, just happy to do the normal IF for now.

Day 2…… Florida…. NFD

Well, my FD, turned into a NFD. I surely didn’t keep myself busy enough to ward off the voodoo, my brain and stomach inflicted upon me today.
    Almost thankful, I’m going back to adulting tomorrow, at least that way, I’ll get a honest FD in.
    In the end, I will end up doing a b2b, which should undo what I did today, which really wasn’t much. Did some more investigative work on IF, learned tricks to win the lotto, watched one extreme weight loss show and watched reservoir dogs with the kid.

The only success I had was my 16:8 and I drank water.

I’m not beating myself up about it. It is what it is but again if I keeping on going like this my hair will be well past my big ole butt. I want to rid myself of it not hide it!
    P.S. I’m not exaggerating here, my hair in almost to the lower part of my back…..
    Did I tell you all I think IF makes your hair grow super fast. I mean, I’ve been playing around with this WOL for about 8 months in that time, I’ve had my hair cut twice to above my shoulders, now its uncontrollable. Plus, on top of it, its curly!
    Well, that’s my day in a nutshell.
    Cheers!

Day 3 NFD country West Australia

Day 3 FD Gippsland (but still in Tassie)
    Had a great hike up Mt Wellington yesterday and feeling quite sore today, but in a good way.
    Keep going everyone!!

Still Day 2: Pacific NW USA, 18:6 which is a 2 meal NFD today

Laddie – I think I remember reading that it’s an average of 24 hour fast to go through your body’s stored sugars then starts the fat burning. Or at least I can believe that because I find the 2nd day of a b2b fast to be easier than the 1st as I seem to have less hunger troubles once the fat burning engines are turned on.

Bert – you never cease to amaze! Now we’ll hear you’re selling your long locks to charity every other week!

phwree & Lisa.Alma – thanks for commiserating! It’s great advise to tune into your actual, real feelings of hunger, something I’m still needing to work on after 8 mos of IF!

Coda – sunnyinsydney may be following Dr Mosley’s 8 week/800 calories per day Blood Sugar Diet plan. That was his first book I read because I was worried about developing Type 2 Diabetes like my Dad. Anyway, those ideas soon became IF for me when I tuned into your May challenge. And yes, some of that added poundage that I’ve since lost was due to prescribed medications but the better part of it was just not knowing what else to do to curb the onslaught and giving in to carb addiction. But it’s bye-bye now, I don’t need those pounds!

Happy – yes, I suspected as much that it was the P-drug. It made me so giddy that I thought I could do anything and it caused regression for me because I tried things I wasn’t physically ready for so please be careful!

AT – great Fung-isms for us all to remember!

Pissupoosa – there’s another great book about sugar and the food industry misleading several generations into obesity by Gary Taubes, “The Case Against Sugar”. I’ll try to find some quotes tomorrow. Simple cards are my biggest culprits leading me down the path of instant gratification and hidden danger.

Aussie day 3 FD going well took OH and the dog for a beach walk then i did my walk 14,000 steps keeping busy always helps.

Bert – I meant ‘donating’ your long locks to charity, or it could have been selling your long locks ‘for’ charity, either way you’ve once again shared a positive slant in your indomitable “cup half full” attitude!

Day 2 – NFD – NY State, USA – (currently on vacation in Western Mexico)
    Today was my first fast day of this year, but since I went a bit over the calorie limit I decided to do an additional FD tomorrow.
    It’s difficult to figure out calories whhile on vacation, but I think I can get pretty close to the 500 cals.
    Thanks for this challenge and good luck to all!

Day 3 – Tokyo, Japan – NFD – 78.8 kg (after fasting …)

@fuvvie – Sorry I just joined with announcing I wanted to join.

@happymargo – Thank you for confirming I’m not the only one finding taste of milled flaxseed a bit rough.

My fast lasted for 39 hours … 41 hours if you don’t count the black coffee with milled flaxseed I had right at the start … ~60 kc. How ever I eat a lot on New Year’s day, just too much. Still for the second time my weight is down below 79 kg. (77 kg is my goal which would put me right at a BMI of 25)

As typical I probably eat more than I should have right after breaking my fast. ~1200 kc breakfast, but after that my eating quickly reverts to more normal levels.

Day 1 – Auckland, NZ – FD

My challenge starts today! I was so excited to start this today, after having last week off for Christmas/New Year celebrations. I regret to report that I started the 5:2 WOL last month, and in one week undid the great work (weight wise) that I had done the three weeks before. Lisa.Alma, I’m with you – looking forward to cleaning up my eating after sweets and Christmas cake!

SO, today I start again! 111 kg, aiming for 105 kg by end of January. Maybe a bit ambitious, but I’m exercising as well, so hope it works. Will fast either Mon/Thu or Tue/Thu (like this week), depending on programme at work (I return next week). Even have the husband getting interested in this WOE (I’m making us both omelettes for dinner!)

It’s hot and humid here right now; snow and skiing sounds great, SongBirdMe!

I have just joined the community and want to be part of the 31 day January challenge to keep me motivated to lose weight. I did the diet for about 6 weeks last year and had some great results but due to circumstances lost my motivation. I am doing a 3 day hike in mid February so decided I really needed to get back onto it so that I can lose some of my excess weight. This is the only way I have found that I can lose weight. Today is my first fast day so am excited to see how much I will lose.

Day 3| Pune India | FD

@back2thefuture – My dragon similar to your does not let me stop once I start eating. I have named him “Bakasur” after a monster from Indian mythology who would eat everything in sight πŸ™‚

Many people have mentioned stomach growls. Someone on the forum had mentioned that eating sugar before the fast makes your stomach make more noises. I have found it to be true in my case. I have also found out that if I eat a low carb meal before the fast, I find the fast day becomes a breeze. I am learning so much thanks to the forum!

Happy Fasting everyone!

Day 2,Canada, NFD
    Very cold here,but managed to elude “Bakasur” using plenty of hot herbal teas and veggie broth. I never had a name for this hunger monster before so thanks for that Manura. My Bakasur is usually very strong in the cold winter months.

I1Q am sick of all the festive treats now, thank goodness. First FD the year planned for tomorrow.

Loving my life-very motivating to read that you are fasting while on vacation.Impressive, I love Mexican food cus it is so healthy and filling. Enjoy that warm weather, cuz Baby it’s cold up here in the North!

Day 3 – Melbourne – NFD
    Welcome to all the Fasters who joined in January – you will love the support that you will find here! It has made a Universe of difference to my journey so far.

I am pleased and amazed that I didn’t regain everything I lost in November and the first 2 weeks of December, in the festive days, as I didn’t rein in at all for about 5 days. I’m very keen to know if avoiding the insulin spikes, in the main, really does re-set the body’s ‘set point’ for weight. That’s if I have understood Dr Fung correctly. I sat at a shared lunch table for a set meal recently and watched in envy as a tall skinny man hoovered up his white bread roll, plus a spare one, plus mine (happy to give to him!) and also polished off every mouthful of a 99% white sugar dessert… Now, if I can just train My body to burn it all off as heat… πŸ™‚

Day 3 – Staffordshire UK-FD

Back to work today and 1st fast day since before Christmas.

day3 germany fast day
    hello all,i have tried 2 unsuccessful fast day on the 1st and 2nd.i end up very hungry and eats a lot.giving it another shot today.

Day 2 USA Hawai

Fd north Yorkshire day 3

Day 3 UK FD- first one for a while but feeling confident,will aim for liquids until 7pm then have a nice dinner,and then I’ll see how I feel the next morning and work out my day from there .

Madam of mayhem . Day 3 Tues 3rd Jan. Sunny Melbourne Aus. NFD.

Boring nfd here. Had to go into work for most of the day to help out with end mth. Took kids to the park. And about to have a late dinner. Still managed an ok walk even though I was stuck inside.
    Hope everyone’s day is great.

Day 3, Ireland, NFD
    Had FD yesterday for first time. Went ok but I think went slightly over the calories allowed… it’s hard to believe how little 500 calories actually is, and how quickly you can eat them & go over!
    Anyway, had a good appetite for my breakfast of blueberries, banana, natural yoghurt, muesli and milk.
    But being only 5ft 2 means my TDEE is quite low so will take a bit of self discipline to stay within it.
    Thanks to everyone’s encouraging comments, it really does help to read them & amazing to think of others all over the world doing this & supporting each other.
    Cheers x

Day 3 of fast.

Just found your site through Google finding your forum community. Planned to start FD on 2nd but stomach bug on Jan 1st got me to an early start. Still learning your abbreviations. Goals… weight loss. Haven’t tried fasting for more than 3 days.

Day 3 Sussex, UK.
    NFD.

DAY 3 – Bucks, UK. – FD

Nfd yesteray – had trouble not overeating!! In the end I threw away my box of Turkish Delight – after the third one I realised I had no will power….I quickly threw something yukkie over them in the bin so I couldn’t retrieve them…how pathetic is that. Managed to get to bed pretty satisfied that I had kept almost within my tdee.
    Hope I can get thru to-day’s fd.

Day 3 – Melbourne, Aus – NFD
    Fast day yesterday went ok. Was struggling a bit by end of day but got through.

Day 3 – SW England – FD

totally failed at ANY FDs over Christmas. massively lack will power others seem to have

HOWEVER I have upped my running (got back into it a couple of months ago having given up for a couple of years) and I’ve booked a half marathon. EEK. hoping I can combine 5:2 and training for a half marathon.

good luck all on FD today.
    Lyna – I hope today is more successful for you! what have you got planned to eat?

very cold here today. -6 on my drive to work, freezing hands sorting horses and dogs before work

Hello day 3 UK FD – just extending yesterdays fast as long as I can.

For those who like planning here is a link to printable calendars which may help. I have mine printed and marked down with any special events and the days I hope to fast.

http://www.calendarpedia.co.uk/calendars/calendar-january-2017.html

Haven’t read all the posts since my one last night but caught site of my name in your post B2TF – yes I thought SunnyinSydney may be doing the blood sugar diet but it was when she mentioned doing it for 10 weeks I wondered what her plan was. She hasn’t been on since though.

Back to work today – so will catch up at lunch time.

Day 3– Colorado USA– NFD

Coda– I’ve taken a cue from your very first Challenge to us & have been marking up my new 2017 wall calendar. I’ve penciled in my intended FDs & my 3 x strength training days/ week. This way they feel like appointments to be serious about keeping!

Will be meeting a friend this AM for a coffee & chat. Easy to stay on plan (& look totally normal) sipping a hot decaf coffee with cream & no sweetners. I’m so looking forward to the visit, I’ve been missing some social connections while on medical leave from work.

Day 3 – Queensland – FD

Day 3. UK. Nfd. Yesterday also a nfd but eased in by not overeating and cutting out sugar and milk from tea/coffee. Today no carbs and watching Calories. A bit reluctant to start FD this week as still taking antibiotics and steroids for chest infection.

Will see if my efforts pay off by end of week. Started on 90.3 kilos(199pounds)

Day 3. Hi. I’d like to join. I started 5:2 (plus a few days 18:6 per week) a week before Xmas (strange timing for a 40something who’s been overweight all her adult life but has never really dieted!). I lost 2kg so far. Today is 2nd FD of the week. I find it easier to wait till 1-2pm to eat. I have a lot of weight to lose..around 40kg. I’d be v.happy to lose 3/4kg in January.

Day 3…..Florida….. FD (I mean it)

I’ve decide 5:45am is way to early, to get up after 10 days off!
    Back to work Ugg!
    3 goals for today…..
    1…… FD
    2…… drink water
    3…… don’t be late for work!

As much as I don’t want to go back to work, it sure is going to be nice to get a solid FD in!

I noticed when ready all the posts, that some people are having a hard time like me getting in a solid FD. Let’s see if I can be of some help while helping myself.

Weeme….. was surprised how little 500 calories was….. I’m going to surmise that, maybe calorie counting was never something you thought about! That isn’t a bad thing, it just means, that we need to teach you. A calorie is a calorie, so they say but in all actuality, it’s good calories vs bad calories.
    A good calorie will keep the hunger beast in check as a bad calorie will awaken the beast.
    Veg is a good food that is low in calories but high in volume….did you know that two cup of lettuce and 1/2 of cucumber, is only 18 calories. Pair it with 2tbsp of fat free dressing for 25 calories and It will keep you full way past dinner time.
    The most important thing with calories is finding ones that are high in volume and low in calories.
    Pintrest is a great site that can give you ideas of high volume, low cal. meals and snacks.
    Plus, the more you do 500 calories the easier it will become. I promise. I will start going through my calorie cheat sheets and add more low cal high volume foods as ideas for you!

Oh my it’s 6:30 am already! I must be off, my coffee cup is empty and if I don’t start now, I’ll be late for work! Can’t let the darn doors get me today!
    Cheers!

Day 3 Italy – FD
    My first fast day for what seems like ages. Let’s see how it goes, still got lots of food in the house πŸ˜“

Day 3 Sunshine Coast Qld Australia NFD 2nd post:
    Hello to kiwilinda, J3ff, kelliann and S1u2e3. We now number 96. There are quite a few though who asked to be part of the thread but haven’t signed in yet. Will wait a couple more days before putting out a list and see if there is a response. If not, I’ll cut the list back. Everyone seems to be settling in nicely and getting more comfortable with adding opinions, making suggestions and asking questions. There are plenty of replies happening, so I’ll not dwell on things tonight. Do people like the quotes from the Fast Diet and Obesity Code or would you be just as happy if I din’t put them in. They haven’t generated any discussion, but that doesn’t mean that there aren’t those getting something from them. Would be interested to hear what your opinions are about that.

Big day with the grandchildren today. They are good kids but I really felt a tad irritable by the end of the day. Only 3 tomorrow and then 5 plus a friend of my grandson on Thursday, so that will be 6 of them. On the whole, they keep each other occupied. They are in and out of the fridge and cupboard all day….hollow legs.

US SC Day 3 NFD. Had a successful FD yesterday. Got all the Christmas decorations put away… took the whole day!! My daughter and her friend were out shopping and came back with their leftover Chinese meal and then later in the day baked chocolate chip cookies… I’m proud that I didn’t cave… but I wanted to πŸ™‚

Weeme…. I used to feel the same as you but after all this time I now say… “wow.. look at all the food you can have for 100 calories!!!” I agree with Bert… you will learn the foods that are low calorie that stay with you. I have found high protein helps a lot… eggs, seafood etc. As others have said, try to steer clear of sugars on the day prior to a FD as this will really help with hunger on a FD.

Well, back to the grindstone. Have a good day all.

Day 3 – Denmark – NFD

Back2thefuture: Yes, you are right. It is gifts, I give myself, and I am happy and proud that I can manage it.

Coda: Thank you for your praise. It is hard, but I simply have to do it.

Today is a NFD and I am still surprised over, how little I am allowed to eat! Yesterday, I was very hungry, when I went to sleep.
    On the Scale, I have lost 1 kg, but I know most of it just is water. Nonetheless it is encouraging.

Day 3 NFD Nebraska US
    Got my veggies washed up and prepared last night. Plan on breaking my fast at noon with a nice crispy romaine salad with all the veggies and some chicken on it. Am taking an apple to work though just in case I need a boost before that. I found a Thai chicken dinner recipe I thought I would try for supper that is low in carbs.

Fuvvie, you are one busy grandma! About posting quotes, you never know if what you post may be something someone needs at that moment. If you feel you have the time and energy, they are inspirational and help keep us on track. Blessings of peace and joy to you. And added strength for your task at hand today.

London | Day 3 | FD

FD so far so good.
    Black coffee, green tea and water to keep me going.

Back at work today – lots to catch up on.
    Also got confirmation of dates my exam – April 19th! – which is the Wednesday after the Easter weekend, so guess what I’ll be doing over my Easter hols πŸ™

Day 1 – Bugendore NSW Australia -FD (3 Jan)
    I’d like to join the group – day 1 coincided with the first day at back at work after the holiday season. I have fasted since dinner last night until 7pm today. I coped well with managing my hunger however, was not expecting the headache and general unwellness. Is it common to have a bit of a detox? I drank at least 2 litres of fluids so maybe some of those toxins are leaving my system. Appreciate knowing your experiences. My first goal is to lose all the weight i put on over the last couple of years after returning back to work (12 kilos) – i work for long hours and rarely leave my office until home time. Today i took 30 mins to go for a walk. Overall not a bad first day…

Day 4 USA (Utah visiting). NFD

As busy as we’ve been in winter activities, I have not felt I should fast. Feeling rather sluggish, but doing to the gym today. Will fast tomorrow.

Great reports from everyone.

Amigo, even 1 kg lost is a great start. Hang in there, you can do this!

Day 3 Surrey UK NFD Hello to all the NEWBIES, this is the best forum to be on, and you will find loads of support here from us and our leaders!! Word of warning…the word FAILED is a forbidden word! Nobody here fails, we just move through a little glitch and set things right the next day ..There is a virtual Big Stick which gets passed on from leader to leader, so beware the Big stick! So if you think the forbidden word, set it aside and re-direct.
    Fuvvie is gentle and kind, so you are lucky to come on now because she will direct you kindly! (Anyway, take it in the lighthearted spirit it is meant.)
    @fuvvie, the quotes are really useful and I think it is just a really valuable reminder to us.
    Anyway, just checking in from my side, I will be back at home on the 7th and will get fasting routine going then. If it is possible before then, I will fast. There are 3 birthdays this week, heavy on the pocket just after Christmas!

Day 3 – USA – NFD

Weighed in this morning and down 2.2 lbs! Very happy about that! Without getting too personal I think the advice of having the cream with coffee did the trick – that and I am realizing I NEED FIBER if I am going to lose any weight!

I had originally planned on a FD for today but I think it would be better to spread them out a little so tomorrow will be FD instead. I also have the evening to myself tomorrow night and that makes it easier to fast without anyone questioning why I am not sitting down to eat too. I am actually a little nervous about a NFD today because I haven’t planned for it and not sure what I will eat. Given that my last meal was at 6:30 last night this will end up being an 18:6 as I usually can skip breakfast without too much stress.

@fuvvie – keep the quotes coming! I am still getting up to speed on the jargon and what not – will start to jump in on a few discussion soon. Really enjoying all the comments and encouraging words! I have always been someone that likes to ‘go it alone’ – haven’t even told my family I am doing this – for whatever reason I fear that I will give in easier and/or they will watch every bite I eat or don’t eat so for me to join a group is something new for me but reading all the posts and seeing how we all have similar struggles as well as the ‘wins’ has been very encouraging I must admit!

Keep going strong everyone – I am sure we will all have some days that are better than others but perhaps if we think of this as a marathon vs a sprint it may help?

D3 | NFD | Singapore

Did relatively okay today and didn’t overdo it – kept under my TDEE of about 1850 cal/day… dinner cooked by my fiancΓ© was satay prawns with jasmine rice, steamed green beans and fresh cucumbers. Hit the spot and didn’t need any snacks!!! I’ve always had a very bad habit of reaching for that something extra after dinner – my goal is definitely to cut out unnecessary snacking and focus on getting good sized meals πŸ™‚

Didn’t manage any exercise today as had a busy day at work! About to switch do a different hospital in two days time – quite excited about more relaxed working hours (more time to read + see friends/family + exercise) – I find that when I’m busy I tend to either go off food completely or become ravenous and buy that Starbucks muffin during a night shift…

Great fun to read everyone’s entries throughout the day, let’s keep this ball rolling!!!

Day 3 Canada FD

Jarbia, I think that is a great way to deal with temptation and I have used it many times. Currently getting rid of ice cream by feeding it to my dog who thinks she is in heaven. Do whatever you need to to make yourself healthy.

My mantra -Getting lean in 2017.

Fuvvie– Love the quotes from: Fast Diet, Obesity Code & Complete Guide to Fasting books.
    They’re great teaching points & reminders to keep us all on path!!

does anyone else get through a FD with snacks? is this bad? does it matter as long as you stay within your 500?

for instance I spent my morning nibbling on celery. then realised actually perhaps I need to learn to not always be ‘eating’ even if it barely counts as food (celery I’m looking at you). so I stopped at 11.30 and didn’t eat until 2.30 when I had my cup a soup.

I have a clementine for mid afternoon but should I leave it and try to get through to supper? are FDs more effective if you fast more, as opposed to snacking on v. low cal things?

i tend to use celery, cucumber, 10cal yoghurts

I also eat more chewing gum than I know is good!!

enjoying reading everyone’s posts. 2 hours left at work for me, then my evenings are always busy (horses, dogs) then early to bed.

Fuvvie I like the quotes πŸ™‚

Day 3|NFD| Toronto
    Hope this token male participant was counted in for January! Where are all the guys?
    Like many others I am a “Foodie Astronaut” in reentry stage from my voyage to the Yuletide Culinary Universe. I visited all the gastronomic planets in that Universe, with a return visit or 2, plus spent some time on the “Sloth Moon” orbiting Planet “Winter Buffet”. Forced myself to exercise some restraint and get a bit of exercise but I did enter a “black hole” some time around December 22 only to reappear on the other side yesterday. Coming back to 5:2 Earth a bit heavier but definitely happier!
    I envy those of you in the Southern Hemisphere and enjoy the “Summer” comments and adventures…now where are my boots, parka and scarf!

Day 3: Gloucestershire, UK: Fast-day…(please….)
    Hard day at work on the post today….we ALWAYS pay for a bank holiday! Just found out that I have to fast on Friday prior to an ultrasound scan at gone 4pm! So Friday will be a fast day then.
    Pissupoosa: yes, I did read the Quit Sugar book…but haven’t acted on it….yet!

I would like to join. First day of fast today. 2nd day will be Thursday. I live in Atlanta Ga.
    Lot of weight to lose. I read entire book before starting. I need easy recipes, I don’t cook very much.

Viewing 50 posts - 301 through 350 (of 2,440 total)

You must be logged in to reply.