31 Day January 2017 Challenge

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
31 Day January 2017 Challenge

This topic contains 2,437 replies, has 150 voices, and was last updated by  Fuvvie 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 251 through 300 (of 2,440 total)

• Pissupoosa: Like you I’m a sugar addict, I swear. I wish I could just give it up!

Day 2 – USA – NFD
    Yesterday I completed my first full FD – will continue fast until 12:30 p.m. today which will make around 40 hours on FD…

I mentioned previously I will be doing some 18:6 F/NF hours on NFD at least a few times per week and there so today I am holding off until lunch. I feel fine this morning although I really miss cream and sweeteners in my coffee!

No weight change this morning – a little surprising but I shall push on.

Day 2– Colorado USA — NFD

Have completed 7 straight days of liquid-only Fasting (post Crohn’s flare & hospitalization.) Whew!!
    Now when we band together as a group for b2b challenges, I will KNOW that I can do it. haha!

My last meal was Christmas dinner & I am ready to try chewing food again (think my bowel has rested enough). Going to start today with easy stuff like: scrambled eggs, full-fat plain Greek yogurt & cottage cheese.
    My goal is to get in some LCHF protein & healthy fats. Stat. I’m even considering a bullet-proof coffee (decaf) with coconut oil & butter. I’m needing some calories.

Yesterday went well with my goals:
    -liquid Fast done
    -long walk with my doggy
    -lifted weights (heavy compound, free-weight movements)
    -did evening stretches
    -no wine.

Bravo HappyMargo!

Day 2 – Denmark – NFD

The fast day yesterday went o.k. I was a little tired, maybe because I missed to smoke, too.
    In a way, today is worse, because in reality, I am not allowed to eat very much if I shall follow my TDEE. I see, that I have been eating much to much earlier.

Fuvvie: Thank you for your encouragement. It is not Asthma, I have, but COPD (bad lungs because of smoking). I, too, hope, that will be better, when I get healthier.

HappyMargo: Also thank you for your encouragement. It is very difficult to stop smoking at the same time as I lose weight, but I simply have to do it now.

Vaderz– hauling that mulch all over your garden sounds like quite the work-out. We’re in winter now & I love to snow shovel. Any time I’m outside, working up a sweat in the fresh air, makes me happy! Looking forward to garden work this summer too.

Okay, K-Lo & Fuvvie– you’ve got me motivated. It’s too soon to Kon Mari my closet (that’ll be FUN once I reach my goal.) But no reason to wait on tackling the pantry. I have a project to keep busy today now!

lovingmylife– Mexico! I’m jealous. Hope your vacation is going splendidly. (Not sure I’d ever be able to fast on vacation. Usually throw caution to the wind & enjoy all the new, different & delicious while far from home.)

zoomowu– There’s no limit on calorie-free fluids on FD. I never count or measure these liquids. They’re helpful in quieting the tummy rumbles.

It’s easy to dehydrate & get headachy, so best to drink up! My preferences are decaf coffee, herbal teas, warm water with squirts of lemon, ice cold water with cucumber slices floating in, or sparkling bubbly water.
    Some people get headaches or light-headed on FDs, which a little added salt helps with (many have found easy relief with small packets of Miso Soup.) Good luck!

Manura– the Natural Tiger conservation Project sounds like a cool place to visit. My little nieces would love it. Glad you spotted some real beauties while there.

dykask– Haha! “ground up particle board” sounds about right! I used to toss flax seed into my blender while making smoothies, instead of heat they’re ice cold, taste didn’t bother me that way.

B2tF– I follow your method too: “continue eating LC/HF with little or no refined or simple carbs.” Add in intermittent fasting to that recipe & it’s made me the feel great!
    I’ve learned so much from Dr. Jason Fung’s web site https://intensivedietarymanagement.com and both his books. Also, Dr. Andreas Eenfeldt at https://www.dietdoctor.com. Add in a little Mosley & you’ve got a winning combination 🙂

kmeng– Thank you for the recommendation on the youtube body coach. Those workouts look killer! Very high-energy dude. I’ll have to check into some of the beginner ones to dip my toe in.

Day 2 |FD|Toronto
    Hello and best wishes to all in 2017. I went AWOL over the last 2 weeks in December with a predictable, but not overly regretted, result when I first stepped on the scale (87.3 kg)this morning for my initial 2017 “weigh-in”. Weight is up of course, so I will join the trudge to standing in the naughty corner; Christmas is a time for celebration and some excess so I am not overly negative in my thoughts, just resolved to do a turn around as best I can to my pre-holiday point and head into greener pastures from there.

Day 2…..Florida….. FD

How cool is this…. my tablet is almost writing its self. I start typing Day and it gives me a number, not the right one but a number, then Florida pops up then, FD and NFD, all I have to do is choose which one….

This only means one thing….. you all are stuck with me……

Ugg! I have to go back to work tomorrow, what a shame! I love being home and being with my family. Oh, but Bill is always wanting money, so I must work to give it to him.

FD for me today. I did wake in the middle of the night, I was so darn hungry! What the heck grumbly gut, it’s not time to eat yet. I’m trying to sleep! She’s still grumbling as I type to you all….. I told her to go eat some fat…. I really want her to focus on my butt and thigh fat….. If she does that I reward her in 3 hours with some veg out of the garden.

Gosh, come to think of it…. it’s my night to cook and have no idea what I’m gonna make. Another thought to ponder this morning.

As .I was reading through the posts this morning, I read something then did a bit of research and thought it would be a good idea to share with the new members.

Laddie10 stated she missed cream and sugar in her morning cup. I did some research just to make sure I was giving you the right knowledge. So here it goes!
    You can have your cream and sugar while in a fasting state. The few sites I research stated and recommended that a person does not exceed 50 calories and to use no calorie sugar.
    I myself and I believe some of the old timers have cream or milk in their cups in the morning. I myself use fat free creamer 20 calories for 2 tbsp, I have 2 cups each morning on FD. I also use sweet n low. I stay around 40 calories! I’d you count the 2.5 calories in each 8oz cup of coffee then it would be 45 calories.
    In the research I did also said many IFers (sounds like I just said a bad word…. lol), use this approach too without any harm being done to their progress!
    Looks like cream and sugar in our morning coffee won this battle!

I hope this helps!
    Well, I’m off, I mustn’t waste my last day, sitting on my tush!

Cheers!

@zoo I drink a gallon of water a day everyday, a few cups of coffee or flavored tea on fast days. I’m loving a berry cinnamon tea right now. It def helps!

Check in- day 2 FD- Arizona US

Only going to have water, coffe, a hard boiled egg and a light progreso soup today 🙂

US SC Day 2 FD. I’m also taking down the Christmas decorations today. That ought to keep me busy… two trees, Christmas village.. my santa collection. So much fun to put out.. such a pain to put away. On the plus side it’ll certainly keep me busy for most of the day!

Day 2 USA (Utah, visit). NFD

I love reading all your plans, problems, and musings here. The group is terrific.

Skiing was probably my best day ever yesterday. I think being lighter and stronger has made the big difference. No, I don’t try to keep up with former ski-teacher daughter or the “born on skis” granddaughters, but I do darn well as a skiing Grandma. Only saw one other woman who looked older than me yesterday.

Hang in there everyone — onward and downward is my mantra!

Day 2, USA Pennsylvania,FD

Happy 5:2 Fast New Year! First time posting. Started November 17, 2016. 6 weeks in, starting Week 7.

Fast days usually Monday and Thursday. One pound per week average, but slid last 2 weeks only 3 FDs. Enjoy 400 calorie protein waffle with fruit breakfast and 200 calorie salad with protein dinner. 600 total, 100 more than recommended.

Walk 3 to 4 miles most days of week, weather permitting. My Fitbit keeps me on track. Lost 36 pounds in 2014 and 2015 and maintained for 2016. Now going for the last 6 pounds in 2017.

Love the way I feel day after fast. Positive results. Enjoy the ride!

Day 2…US…NFD
    Now that the holidays are over I can get back on track. I gained a couple of pounds but I feel good. Better than 5 months ago before I discovered 5:2. I have some water retention right now from overindulging over New Year’s weekend so I’m not going to post my weight. But I was 132.5 on Friday. Tomorrow will be a FD.

Day 2 // New Hampshire, USA // NFD

I was originally going to fast on Mondays and Thursdays, but realized it would be a lot easier to fast on days when I have to work (less willpower needed when I’m busy getting things done). So, Tuesdays and Thursdays seem like the right choice for me, and tomorrow will be my first fast day. Inexplicably, I’ve lost two pounds since I last weighed myself and I haven’t even started the fast days yet! LOL How often do folks weight themselves? Just curious.

Today is the first day of my january challenge! Feels great to finally be over with the holidays where I completely pigged out. Am so sick of sweets now! Today is not a fast day but I will eat 1200 calories maximum, and tomorrow will be the first fast day of the year. Tomorrow will also be the “official” weigh in of the year. Right now I feel disgusted with myself but I know that it only takes a few healthy days to feel much more comfortable and proud of myself.

Reading in this forum also makes me motivated! Thank you all for contributing. Hang in there and stay positive everyone!

Day 2, Canada, FD
    Greetings. Wish me luck as a I start this FD. I look forward to visiting this thread daily. My commitment to myself is to post here every day for 30 days – no matter how I eat (and yes, I do plan on 5:2, but in the past, my intentions have not always won).

My FDs will depend on my schedule for the week. So, they will move around.

Day 2 – NFD – Italy
    Enjoying a normal eating day. I worked out this morning and didn’t get hungry until about noon. Tomorrow is my first fast day. I’m planning to fast TU/TH and either SUN or SAT depending on my weekend events. I’m thinking about doing a full 36 hour fast tomorrow to kick off the month, depending on how I feel. Anyone have any tips for getting through a full 36 hours?

Day 1 fd
    Started a day late due to travel yesterday
    Currently had 3 bottles of water and half a carrot stick
    Still not hungry body probably still fighting off Christmas binge
    Target to shift 14 pounds by feb

Day 2 Ireland FD
    Ok so this is harder than you think! Had an apple & coffee/ tea for breakfast then home made sweet potato soup for lunch with a slice of turkey. So far, so good.
    But, … Somebody left chocolate sitting in kitchen later in day and I had eaten a chunk before I clicked that actually I shouldn’t be eating it! Oops :-/
    Managed not to help myself to biscuits too… am really quite hungry now.
    Plan to have another bowl of soup later (haven’t worked out calories, but hoping about right)
    Have no idea how anybody could even think of back to back fasts or 4 days or whatever 😏
    Hope everyone else going well today

Hi there, can I join?

UK day 2 NFD decided to postpone my first 2017 fast to tomorrow but all well today ,attended some gym classes boy were they tough after a 2 week break but good to be getting back to normal.

Count me in too, Will be starting tomorrow..

Had a few glasses of wine last night and didn’t sleep so well. I don’t know but the older I get the less I sleep well after a couple of drinks. Got up and watched TV for an hour and then managed a few hours kip. Visitors are here and we are going out to a winery for lunch. (I will stick to tomato juice!!) Hopefully the sun will shine, it rained constantly yesterday. Have a good day folks.

Day 2/Midwest USA/ NFD

Started at 80kg..today is 79.3kg.

Bert1802, I think the line, “You can do it” is from “Waterboy.”

Started fasting this morning and this is only the fifth time I’ve done a fast day. Found out about the 5:2 plan about three or so weeks ago (through medical literature, not through this site) and realized that chronic calorie restriction just is too hard for me. So, here goes!

Was going to fast yesterday, but my husband made us both a serving of oatmeal yesterday morning, as he always does, and I felt bad throwing it away. I finally told him yesterday that I’m doing this 5:2 plan, and this morning told him: today’s a fast day for me, don’t put on the oatmeal for me. And he said, good for you! And so I ended up moving my fast to today. Also: just entered all my measurements and my weight and got my TDEE (I think that’s the acronym) and BMI and PDQs and what not… lol

A little depressing to put in my measurements, as some of them were pretty eye-popping. BUT: finding this forum/website has made me feel stronger and more determined than ever.

Day 2: Pacific NW USA, 16:8 NFD, about to make a ham and broccoli frittata for brunch for our last vacation day and we will walk to a movie theater for exercise and entertainment.

Several have been commenting on their “traps”, mine are letting the dragon loose on extra quantities of “healthy” food. I don’t generally succumb to the simple carbs that I’ve sworn off but I can over-do the permission to eat things like an extra BPC (bullet proof coffee), raw nuts, veg with hummus, full fat creams with berries and 80% dark chocolate on NFD’s. It doesn’t start out seeming like a problem to “have a little” but then hand-to-mouth syndrome takes over and pretty soon too much of those good-for-me items put me over TDEE very rapidly. So, need to tackle that!

Holly – good to see your name again after missing you on the Dec thread!

Happy – last night I couldn’t help noticing how late you were up along with my end of Dec tallying on our last challenge page. I do admire your amazing attitude, it gives me a lift! And, I subscribe to the dietdoctor too, love to take a break and watch the various videos.

Amigo – along with IF, quitting smoking has to be a couple of the biggest gifts you could give yourself!

SongBird – I am vicariously enjoying your skiing experiences, the snow must be really great this year in Utah!

ratatouille – good luck with your FD today!

Pamela – great start! It took me a long time to even reveal to my OH that I was starting IF back in the spring because I was afraid of failure. He completely supports me now and LOVES the results!

Georgia/USA/ DAY 2:FD

Happy new year

Thanks Bert!! I had also read that half and half or something that is at least 35% fat is best but that artificial sweetener may cause hunger pains so I was nervous about that but after two days of no ‘good java’ and I was starting to think that would be the thing that did me in! So – excellent news and I appreciate the reply / research. Tomorrow will be a good morning for sure!

Thanks!!

Day 2 SW WA USA NFD

This a FD turned NFD because I just got invited out to dinner. It’s the last day of vacation. I had already had brunch with a friend when I got the evening invitation. That’s one thing I love about this WOL; it’s flexible. I’ll still get my 2 FDs in. It’ll be easier on work days anyway.

Weeme – I started this WOL about 3 months ago. My 1st month I just followed it as Dr. Michael Mousley suggested – with 2 FDs with 500 calories and I chose M & Th usually. I even did as his assistant Mimi did, eating a little at mid-day and the rest at supper. I would usually have coffee with a little nutmilk in the morning, maybe 1/2 an apple and a small piece of cheese at noon & a soup or salad for supper bringing it to 500 for the day. Don’t even worry about b2bs etc until you get a few intermittent fasts under your belt successfully. You’ll probably be surprised that it’s quite doable.

Day 3 FD NZ
    Second day of my water fast.
    I’m hoping this resets my metabolism and I get back to fat burning and eliminate my massive sugar addiction.

Believeit- i stopped weighing and started feeling happier almost straight away. Your clothes and actual girth measurements are your best indicator, scales aren’t a good reflection of the changes you are making internally and have too much variability that messes with your head. I think you would do well to step away from them for as long as you can. Maybe weigh once a month?

Ciren and pissapoosa – I fully relate to the sugar issues but I do think 5:2 has decreased my desire when I look back and Im thinking this longer fast should help finish off my sugar demon…hopefully

Day 3 – Sydney, Australia – NFD

First weigh in for the year – 80.7. I’ve only been on the diet for 2 weeks but seems like I’m loosing about .7 a week. Which is fine with me considering how frequently I have gone over TDEE or even slightly over the 500c on fast days.

Back2thefuture I feel you with the overindulging in healthy foods! They’re sneaky! I’m working on only eating if I’m actually hungry and then trying to check in at various points throughout eating to check I’m still enjoying it/hungry.

Lany36 thanks for the scale advice…It’s going in the closet!

On my first FD of the 5:2. Since recently doing a 4 day liquid fast, seems odd I can do a fast eating food 🙂 I get impatient waiting for results so this 31 day challenge, being able to eat 500 calories on FD and not weighing every day is also testing me! Maybe this is an area I need to rely on meditation.

Back2thefuture – I totally relate when it comes to overindulging – I can eat to much of anything, basically. My goal is to be able to have things like dark chocolate, nuts and peanut butter at home without overeating, but enjoying in moderation. For me, the underlying issue is emotional eating! If I am stressed or sad, I want to eat constantly…

Hello all UK day 2 (my post last night should off course said day 1 not 2)FD

Wow where do I start – I have finally caught up with all the posts

@amigo – well done for taking such positive steps to a healthier WOL. You have the added challenge of 5:2 and becoming a non smoker WELL DONE YOU!

@bert1802 – you will get that hair cut soon. LOL love your take on the scales and really did laugh out loud.

@bethdvm – your first post is there but at the moment this is a very fast moving thread. If you click on your name and replies created, you can see your posts.

@weeme – don’t worry a lot of people can’t imagine doing B2B fasts but one day you will feel confident enough to do one – stick with us and you will see.

@togglesworth and any others just starting this challenge – the day of month = day of challenge no matter when you started. So today January 2nd= day 2 of challenge.

@pamie/PamelaV welcome – begin your post with day of challenge (day of month), state your region and if it is a fast day (FD) or non fast day (NFD). Well done Pamela btw for being brave. All journeys beging with the first step and you took a big one.

@AH0200 – Believe you can and you are half way there. Yes you will have to dig deep at times and that is where we on this thread come in.

Mindset and what we tell ourselves every moment and every day really matters. Henry Fords said ‘Whether we think we can or think we can’t – you’re right. People tell themselves – they failed if they didn’t achieve something but would you tell someone else – yes you failed if they admitted they didn’t reach a goal? So why tell ourselves constantly we are a failure. We need to change our mindset. BTW (by the way) the use of the word fail and or failure isanned (as Ciren has pointed out) Something someone esle pointed out a while ago about when we say we lost weight, that made me think – they challenged the term, if when we say ‘I lost X amount of weight’ do we intend to find it again? Maybe something to think about what we say and how we say it when we speak to ourselves.

Break down ultimate goals into bite sized obtainable chunks. While you can set an amount or goal you wish to achieve be realistic. Sometimes life can get in the way – if it does how will you feel. Also remember this is YOUR journey, take it a step at at time. Slow and steady is always best. Use the tracker on this site because sometimes when things arenot going to plan, you need to look back and see how far you have come.

@sunnyinsydney – you advised you are doing a 800 calorie a day diet – Dr Fung advises constant low calorie diets don’t work, as your body adjusts, metabolism slows and weight loss slows down or stops. This is why fast, feast works as it keeps metablolism high. Can you advise why you feel 800 calories will work for you and how long you intend to stick to it?

@babu you mention 2:5 do you mean 5:2? in that you will have 5 days non fasting with 2 fasting days per week or do you really mean you will have 2 non fasting days with 5 days fasting?

Visualising is an importqant tool and one that everyone should practice – one of our members visualised some months ago wearing a dress she didn’t fit into at the time and could see herself wearing the dress standing beside the christmas tree. She could see if vividly in colour – do you know what – she achieved her visualisation, she got into that dress.

@believe it – love the name, what everybody needs to do every minute of every day is tell yourself ‘I believe it’ You are where you are and not alone but here now is where it will change if you just ‘Believe it’!

So for me I start January 2017 with just a lb gained over December – so am pleased with that – it was down and up a bit through the month so for my goal for January I want to see more of a downward trend. I also don’t want a repeat of this time last year when I lost the plot and it took me 5 months to get back on track. I know it will be different this time however as I have the suppport and friends on this challenge thread.

Starting weight 11.9 (163 lbs). Next interim goal is still to see 11.3 when ever that may be. I would like to try a few longer fasts as I feel so much better, sharper, lighter when I fast. I also highly recommend ‘the complete guide to fasting’.

B2TF – I don’t think I realised how many lbs in total that you have kissed goodbye to since May – well done you! An inspiration to us all.

B2tF– I was up at crazy hours thru the night. Prednisone really jacks you up (for most people.) I’ve only been getting 3 hours of sleep at night, then grab an hour nap during the day.

On the positive side: I’m plowing thru my To-Do List. I’ve gotten all my mending projects done. The bathroom is sparkling. Next up: Kon Mari my pantry like K-Lo & Fuvvie already have.

kelliann– everyone works out their best method for weigh-ins.
    Sadly for some people, the # on the scale can immediately impact their mood for the whole day. It can throw off their confidence if it shows too high, “Boo. This isn’t working.” Or if showing a good low #, they think “Hurrah! I can indulge.”

For others, consistent check-ins reign.
    My plan is every morning I get up & empty my bladder. Then I hop on my scale in my birthday suit! Without giving much thought to the #, I simply jot it on my wall calendar & go about my day. My “official #” is entered on every Friday. (Some others will average out the 7 days to reach that week’s #.)
    You will find what feels best for you!

3rd Jan, Day 3 FD. Queensland.
    Start weight 83.1

Back at work – ho hum – so a good day for a fast day.

Day 3 A very wet no-Sunshine Coast Qld Australia: NFD 107.3kgs. Moving down.

Good morning everyone. I have omitted to welcome Dykask. Glad to see you here. More newcomers today:August2024 (do you know how hard it is to put your name onto my spreadsheet? It insists on converting you to a date. Accidentally put an extra zero in your name and it stuck. I know I had this problem last time and my daughter solved it for me. She is at work, so will ask her when she gets home), steffieagle, Grammaspice (welcome back), Togglesworth, UpTipp, Lunarless and PamelaV. It is such a friendly thread that we have now attracted 93 contributors, supporters and worldwide comradeship. Who would have thought? Takes a lot of recording.

I’m childminding 5 grandchildren today (school holidays and parents working) aged 12 to 8 years old, and No 4 daughter has just rung to say she is coming up with her 3 yr old and 1 year old, so this house will become chaotic very quickly. Will check in late today when all the parents are back on board.

Just a reminder to the newcomers, please make the day the day of the date, even if you start on Day 3. It may be day 1 for you but day 3 to help me with putting it into the spreadsheet. Also, it is lovely if you put where you are located next and finally whether it is an FD (fast day) or NFD (non fast day). Cheers. Fuvvie

Day 2 Portugal NFD
    Still have visitors so still cooking meals and eating a little more than usual. But tomorrow I am going to attempt my first FD of the year. Vegetable soup already prepared for dinner tomorrow so should be well within the 500calorie limit.

Day 2 – Cumbria UK – NFD

Out all day today – met up with an old friend, it was lovely to catch up and chat – Plenty of tea and coffee to keep the vocal chords lubricated and I may have slightly exceeded my TDEE for the day but by not much!!!!!

I thought the following extract from an interview with Dr Fung regarding his book “The Obesity Code…Unlocking The Secrets Of Weight Loss” would help those of us new to “Fasting” on the forum understand how fasting works in making weight loss happen!

Dr Fung says:-
    “It turns out that the problem with obesity is a poor distribution of energy, not the amount. Food energy is being diverted into fat storage instead of being used up. Insulin is the major hormonal regulator of this process.
    So losing weight depends upon decreasing foods that stimulate insulin, but also on breaking the insulin resistance cycle. Since resistance depends upon both high levels and persistence, the answer is to leave your body long periods of time with low insulin. In other words, let your body rest from the high insulin”

“The best way is to have periods of time where you are not eating. In a word – FASTING. This can be for 16 hours, 20 hours, 24 hours, or even longer. Giving your body a period of low insulin breaks the resistance and results in weight loss”

Dr Fung goes on to explain:-
    “Understanding the fundamental, underlying cause of obesity results in simple, successful strategies for weight loss. There are two important questions in obesity.
    **What to eat? We all pretty much agree here – Reduce processed foods – Reduce white flour and sugars – Eat lots of vegetables.
    However, we ignore the second, crucial question:
    **When to eat? We don’t need to eat more frequently to lose weight, we need to eat less frequently. Eliminating snacks is a simple way to reduce the frequency of eating.”

Dr Fung suggests that If you have more weight to lose, you can simply extend the fasting period. Instead of 12 hours, you can extend this to 16, or even 24 or 36 hours. This is the process called intermittent fasting. A common regimen would be to use a 24-hour fast (from dinner to dinner, for example) twice a week. Dr. Michael Mosley’s 5:2 diet is similar to this schedule.”

If you want to lose weight and maintain that loss and reap all the long terms health benefits, it is important to stop seeing this system as a diet – it is a way of life.

My quote for us today is:- “Losing weight is a mind game. Change your mind, change your body”

Day 2 / Sweden / FD

First fast day of the year went well today, starting with oatmeal, banana and tea for breakfast, carrots and clementines for lunch and then ham on crisp bread for dinner. Treated myself to some light soda in the evening.
    Yesterday I had a good 11 km walk through the countryside but today I didn’t make it out of the house until evening. I started taking a walk but then looked up at the moon and the stars. It was so beautiful to see that Venus, the moon and Mars had formed an almost perfect line that I had to go back into the house to get my camera. I spent almost an hour out in the cold taking pictures instead of going for a power walk. Life happens, enjoy it.

I’ve tried to keep up with reading all of the comments here and I think it’s clear that different approaches work for different people. I’ve lost weight in the past and I’ve put it back on. What I’m looking for is a permanent change in my habits.
    I’m using My Fitness Pal to log everything I eat. This is helping me to be more aware of the choices I make. What I do love about the 5:2 diet is that I don’t have to deny myself particular foods or social occasions as long as I eat consciously. Friday night is always a higher calorie meal with the family followed by chocolate and my rum & coke and in the past, it would break my TDEE (even if I didn’t know my TDEE at the time). Friday nights are not something I want to give up so now I compensate by skipping lunch and going for a 30 minute walk instead. I’m hoping that in making many of these small changes I will develop new, healthier habits that I can sustain over the long run.

Good luck to everyone out there!

Hi all
    Great to be in the new challenge I put back on 51b over December since starting the Nov challenge which I’m not gonna beat myself up over.
    New month new starts first fd tmrw

Day 2 Second post

@Ciren – I know I’m addicted to sugar. Have you read the ‘sweet poison quit plan’ by David Gillespie? Gives some good tips on how to break the addiction.
    Also, I’ve just bought ‘Pure, white and deadly’ by John Yudkin – not read that one yet.
    @lany36 – I agree about the decreased desire for sweet things – I see this in me too. I still feel the need to decrease my intake. Being South Asian, with both parents suffering from type 2 diabetes (well controlled, ‘touch-wood’), and having 50-60y/o distant relatives who are either suffering from kidney failure or has had amputations due to poorly controlled DM, has put the fear of God into me!

@kelliann – I weigh myself once a week usually, or at the end of a long fast. I’m not too hung upon the number on the scale, I tend to go with waist and hip measurements and how my clothes fit.

@mama2boys – key to a 36h fast is I think good preparation. Lots of clear liquids – black coffee, tea, lemon water, sparkling water etc throughout the day. Sparkling water is a very good to ward off hunger pangs around lunch time. I also some times take either a mug of bone broth or chicken/beef bullion at lunch time. I know some people swear by chewing sugar-free gum. Keep your self busy (I can only fast on the days I work!). I try not to handle food or go food shopping on an FD, just so I don’t get tempted. Most importantly, listen to your body. Personally for me, it took several attempts to be comfortable with a 36h fast – I did it in stages 24h, 30h, progressing to 36 eventually. I’ve been doing weekly 36h liquid only fasts for about 2 months now – even now, I have days when I feel like packing it in and gorging on something naughty – at those times, I munch on a handful of sunflower seeds or almonds, so as not to undo all the good work. Hope that helps. All the best with your 36h fast.

Off to bed now. Work tomorrow and fast day. Good night all.

My quote for the day from The Fast Diet is one of my favourites, again from Mimi Spenser on page 131, What can do if I’m not losing weight? “Watch what you are eating on your non-Fast Days. The Fast Diet is not a free ticket to the all-u-can-eat buffet on the days when you are not fasting. Stay aware. Be sensible. Avoid binging. Yes, have treats but make them a treat in the old-fashioned sense. These days, ‘treats’ are almost a food group in their own right; return them to their rightful place as an occasional pleasure.”

Thanks AT. Great quotes.

Day 2 – Brisbane Australia – FD

First fast day. Really interested to see how it goes.

Good luck everyone.

Day 3 – Brisbane, Australia | NFD

Yesterday’s fast day went well – though I woke a few times during the night feeling a bit hungry, but the avocado and egg on toast for breakfast tasted rather good today!

Lots of rain overnight, didn’t feel like moving wet, heavy mulch this morning, so went for a run instead. Have been just getting back into it lately, nothing too strenuous, just an easy 2km run, and then 2km walk back home… getting back into the habit of doing that about 2-3 times per week.

@happymargo – my wife has Crohn’s too, she was last in hospital about 6 months ago and was on fluids for about 7 days too, I’m sure they put something good in those IV saline drips 😉 You must be over the beef broth and jelly by now though and glad to get back to real food. Oh, and when I first saw your name, I thought it was Happy ‘Mango’… and I have some nice, fresh mango’s in the fridge, might go and have one now, lol

Layn36 and all,
    What information have you found regarding the time it takes during fasting to fully burn through the sugar/glucose and start burning fat? I’ve seen some studies that made it look like it would take 2 days or more but I am sure hoping it’s more like 18 hours? I am guessing it has to do with sugar stores and would be different for each person but does anyone have a range that seems to have some data to back it up?
    Thanks!

Viewing 50 posts - 251 through 300 (of 2,440 total)

You must be logged in to reply.