31 Day January 2017 Challenge

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
31 Day January 2017 Challenge

This topic contains 2,437 replies, has 150 voices, and was last updated by  Fuvvie 7 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 351 through 400 (of 2,440 total)

• …. of course, Fuvvie, you’re also insanely busy with a houseful of sprites. Plus, already tracking this crew thru January. If digging up & adding quotes is too much time, then let it slide till it’s better for you. After all, you are doing quite A LOT for an 87 year old! (tee-hee. wink wink!)

Furvie, count me in please.
    Came back to rainy Belfast from travelling for two months in Australia and NZ with only a couple of pounds on. Sadly I have added a few more over the festive season. MadamOfMayhem, I just loved your city! I usually fast on Monday and Thursday but had family over yesterday day so am fasting today instead. I lost 14lbs before I went away and my goal is to lose another 14 lbs. here we go 2017!

Day 3 NFD and first gym day. Felt brutal to get back in there but was coming off of a 36 hour fast. AZ USA

Day 3, Canada, NFD

Hi, got through my FD yesterday. I would like to provide my starting weight (if Fuvvie is tracking it…if not, no problem) – 171.3 lbs, mid January goal 168 lb, Jan 31 goal 165 lb. More to come after that, but for now, this would be success.

Walden410, understand what you say about not cooking very much. For my fast day I have a hardboiled egg for breakfast, a latte with .5 cup of no fat milk, and for dinner I have a lot of green lettuce, tin of tuna packing water, and a few other low calorie vegetables, capers (salt!), all mixed together with a generous squirt of fresh lemon. No cooking.

@emilymeg
    I am not an expert that’s for sure – I will say however that I am pretty sure that the ideal situation for a FD would be to get to ketosis which would mean you are burning fat. In order to do that you must keep your carbs super low – I actually read last night that it may need to be as low as 20 net carbs per day to get to a ketosis state but everyone is different and of couse it depends on how much sugar/glucose is currently on hand. Net carbs = all carbs minus fiber. So if you have 30 grams of carbs but 15 are fiber grams you would net out at 15 grams.

Celery – 1 cup has 3 carbs of which 1.6 grams = fiber. So net carb = 1.4 grams of carbs/cup.

As crazy as it sounds, the best bet for staying in ketosis is by staying with a ratio of 10% carbs, 20% protein and 70% fat – give or take. With a (1) gram of carb = 4 calories, protein 4 calories and fat = 9 calories. With this info you can calculate total grams of each depending on your total calories for the day which is helpful if you want to stay in ketosis whether it be a FD or NFD.

These are kinda rough estimates though of course and everyone is different. I am going to shoot for the 20 grams of net carbs on my FD and then try not to go too crazy on NFD as far as carbs go.

I hope this isn’t too much detail but if you have questions let me know I may have the answer?

I hope this helps?

Hi

Just a quick catch up

@norrieb laughed out loud at the ‘f’ word and the big stick.

@cboz – date of month ie 3rd of January = day of challenge ie day 3, no matter when you join us, so everyone is on the same hymn sheet no matter where in the world we live.

@j3ff – we start our posts with the day we are on, and the region we live and whether this is a FD or NFD.

@fuvvie – if you have the time between logging everyone in and looking after all the grandchildren to look for inspiring quotes, keep them coming – sometimes it can make all the difference to someones mindset.

@happymargo – I have my January calendar printed and filled in with planned fast days, special days and exercise days. Hopefully more chance of keeping to the plan.

@in it to thin it – I googled a punnet of bloobs – I believe they are blueberries!

So far so good on the continued fast so may as just make it a back to back.

Welcome to those who have just joined us and a quote for you all that was posted previously on a different challenge but I really like and think it is so relevant.

‘A river cuts through rock not because of its power, but because of its persistence’

Hallo lovely people – and happy New Year – may it bring you good health, luck and happiness.

I am joining this challenge late- starting tomorrow, as I was away.

I weighed myself on 31 Dec – have gained 0.7kg. Needless to say, I did throw caution to the wind over the holidays, but I/we did have some truly memorable meals. And treats…. Ah, that slice of multi-layered, marzipan-covered, chocolate ganache and orange jelly cake that I had in San Sebastian – I would have proposed marriage to it ;-).

My aims for this month: to fast properly two days each week; to do yoga 4 times a week and to cut down on sugar.

My first fast day will be tomorrow.

Day 3 SW WA USA NFD

Continuing on the journey! The sun just came out & that always helps. It’s cold for us today. School is even on a 2 1/2 hour delay but I’m headed to a mtg/training type day.
    Will work on mindful eating. I expect there will be treats.

Thanks for all the encouraging words!

We can do this!

Thanks for your vote of confidence. It’s funny how hard it is to tell him I’m trying something like this, because it’s certainly no secret to him that I’ve gained about 25 pounds since we got married 20 years ago. sigh. But he is very supportive. 90% of the time. It helps that he really wants me to be healthy, not skinny. That’s another reason I love this approach — the science that shows it helps insulin sensitivity, decreases the inflammatory responses in our bodies, etc. etc.

I hear you on the fear of failing. i will say that I’m starting this effort knowing myself a little better, as I lost ten pounds on Weight watchers and really got to know some of my eating habits/strengths/downfalls in the process of losing that ten pounds. Alas, it was too hard to keep on the point system and I gained it all back plus an extra three pounds. classic, right? So I realized that WW was too hard with the constant counting. Keeping to my TDEE seems much more do-able, and I’m finding that my energy is fine on days of fast. And learning to deal with the waxing and (thankfully) waning of the hunger on FD is in some ways difficult but also in many ways very interesting. I try to come up with a more curious way of experiencing hunger instead of talking to myself in super-dramatic ways (omg, I’m STARVING, omg, all I want to do is eateateateat, omg, omg, I am miserable… actually, I’m not that miserable now… I feel only slightly hungry).

The most interesting thing: I had a horseback riding lesson at 5, and was intending to eat something before hand (break the fast at 4:30) but ran out of time and ended up driving fast to the stable and jumping on the horse, and then NEVER THOUGHT ABOUT EATING AGAIN for the next TWO HOURS! not even a peep from the stomach.

Lesson: just ride horses ALL DAY LONG on fast days!!

Day 3 // New Hampshire, USA // FD

It’s my first fast day, and so far so good. I’m working today and with the holidays there’s a lot to catch up on, so I’m busy – it’s nice when the day goes by quickly. Fasting at work is easy-peasy since there’s no food to tempt me (except those cookies on the break table, just going to avoid that room entirely! LOL). Thanks to everyone for the input on how often to weigh. I realized that I forgot to enter my starting weight on Day 1, so I’ll do that now: 225 pounds (102 kg). @fuvvie will you just need our new weight number at the end of the month?

My question for the day is – how do people approach their NFD calorie intake? Do you keep track in some manner, or just not bother with worrying about calories on those days? I have used MyFitnessPal in the past to record calorie intake. I may do that again, just so I have a sense of how many calories I’m consuming on those days (aiming not to go over my TDEE? – still learning the lingo), unless others advise against it…

Hope you’re all having a great day! 🙂

Hello everyone
    What an inspiring group
    Day 3, Surrey UK, FD

I started the 5:2 immediately after Christmas so this is my 3rd FD. So far I have found it surprisingly easy – well ok maybe not easy as such but certainly not as hard as I was expecting.
    My starting weight is 13.5st and overall I want to lose 1.5st but my initial aim is .5st by May when I visit my daughter in the States (NC).
    I am mid 50s and have never been particularly large (though I am tall – 6′) but the menopause has piled on the pounds hence this effort to get back on track before it just becomes impossible to lose the little b*ggers!!
    Best wishes to all

@kelliann – I used to track my NFD (I used MFP) to get an idea of what I could eat and stay in TDEE – but once I knew my vague guidelines, i stopped. this was when I last did this and was successful. I need to get back to tracking my NFD for a bit as I know they let me down at the moment! then once I’m on track and understand my eating more, I will stop tracking. hope that helps a bit!

@laddie10 wow thanks. That’s complex but interesting. Not sure my brain can deal!

Day 3 / Sweden / NFD

Day 3 – California, US – FD – First post (start of day) = 162.9 pounds

I think posting my intention first, then posting end-of-day follow up may help me be more accountable. So there it is – today is a fasting day. It’s 9:15a here and (so far) it’s going well.

I wish I could put a wall over the kitchen at work so I don’t have to walk past a room full of baked goods every time I go go the bathroom. But I can’t, so I’ll have to be strong and practice some stress-relieving techniques.

Happy day and hugs to all,

– Stephanie

Day 3 / middle east / FD
    Starting weight 118kg

@kelliann – I also use MFP and I believe the best way is to plan what you are having input and see if you need to cut out or add something in depending on what your total is. I often end up inputting after the event which is not the best way. However it does give you an idea for future use.

@emilymeg – I am glad I was not the only one after reading post from Laddie to feel that was a lot to take in.

@pamelav – why not let the proof be in the pudding. A lot of people don’t feel they can share this way of eating because of the negativity from some people who think we are starving ourselves. So keep to the plan and when they notice the difference you can share if you feel like it or not – others have just said they are looking after themselves better – others like to shout it from the roof tops.

If you haven’t done so already why not add a little bit about yourself on your profile – not compulsory btw.

emilymeg- LOL – I kinda got carried away didn’t I?

Here is the short answer to your question – eating celery all day is fine but eating a little fat and protein may actually work better overall for weight/fat loss.

Perhaps some celery with a tablespoon of organic low carb peanut butter (less than 4 grams of carbs) would actually make you burn fat easier than just the celery alone.

Thanks Bert for your advice about calories- you’re right, it’s a while since I’ve thought about or tracked calories… clearly need to plan and think about FD food choices a bit more😏. Ideas are always welcome 😀.
    Fuvvie… your quote from Mimi prompted me to go back and read the relevant bit in the book, so they are helpful if you have time. You must have a mammoth task keeping track of everything!

Day 3/ FD / Italy
    It’s almost 7:30 pm my time, and I’ve been fasting for almost 24 hours now (other than a cup of coffee this morning with a splash of milk and one stick of sugarless gum — it curbs my appetite). I was planning to have my dinner of about 500 calories tonight but I actually feel strong so decided I’ll go for a 36 hours! Not sure I can do this more than once a month, but I’m feeling strong now.

I have just joined this thread and have taken over an hour reading it from the beginning. What an inspiration! I feel motivated and enthused in starting the next leg of my journey. I lost 14 or so lbs using the 5:2 up to the beginning of October. I used to track my calories religiously on My Fitness Pal. In October I went travelling with my OH and worried about undoing all the good work. I was away for two months and didn’t fast once. However, I only ate two meals; brunch and an evening meal and was amazed to see I’d only put on 2 pounds, despite enjoying a few deserts and more than a few glasses of wine. So on my NFDs I shall adopt this strategy.
    Happy New Year to you all and happy fasting!

Day 3, January 3, Midwest USA, NFD: signing in… a bit grumpy from some leg pain; however the food thing is going OK. It’s so nice to be connected to you all around the world as we proceed on our paths!

When you feel like quitting – think about why you started

Debster– well done on a 2 month holiday & only gaining 2 lbs! You even got to enjoy some treats.

I don’t like passing up wine with dinner on vacation either, & I’ve used the 2 meals per day with success too. Even going on a cruise with family, I could still sit down to Brunch & Dinner only with everyone, and never feel deprived.

It worked so well, I do just the 2 meals at home now too.
    Mon-Friday I skip breakfast (just coffee, sometimes with cream) then a light lunch at work @ 11:00, then dinner with my DH.
    On Sat & Sundays, I always have breakfast with DH to chat & catch up on our week. We skip lunch, then enjoy dinner together.

So still just 2 meals. No snacks ever. This has helped extend periods of fasting, gives fewer times of day for insulin to surge & keeps blood glucose lower (so body resorts to fat stores.)

Laddie10– I liked your detailed answer!
    I’m a total numbers-nerd & like crunching all those stats on my food intake as well. I realize some people hate even tracking calories, but for me it’s kind of fun to chart the progress in multiple numerical ways.

I get ya! Virtual high-five!

Hi,everyone.I’ve had 2 24 hour fasts so far,my goal is water fast

Day 3 – Cumbria UK – FD

A bit of a sad day today – attended the funeral of the father of a friend – beautiful service attended by a large percentage of the village. He was a well known and respected member of the local community.

Today was my first FD of the new year/month although I did manage a 18:6 day on Sunday 1st.
    I drank plenty of fluids – hot water with lemon, tea with a dash of skimmed milk and no calorie intake until my evening meal this evening and will therefore come in below my 500cal target for the day.

Look at how many of us across the globe are fasting today (Day 3) – @brightonbelle @lunarless @arvandee @jem3487 @Fishing Gran @marinermum @manura @missymay @lyna2017 @s1u2e3 @jarbia @emilymeg @coda @Keitil @missymoomoo @bert1802 @ Holly LJ @pissupoosa @cboz @In it to thin it @ciren2 @kelliann @southcroydonkate @lqd @mama2boys – I hope I did not miss anyone out – holding hands across the globe we can do this together! So whenever you feel like giving up hold our hands that bit tighter and read some posts and you will do it.

@lany36 – Hope you are going OK with the second day of your water fast
    @fuvvie – The group has grown so much – great work for keeping on top of the posts
    @happymargo – nice to hear that you are on the mend – slow but sure x
    @august 2024 – nice to hear from you again – no naughty corner but do that U-turn I quoted in December and get back to this WOL – remember together we are stronger!

Several new to this WOL have asked about how long to fast for before taking any calories on your FDs – Dr Fung suggests a minimum of 16hr fast before breaking your fasts for effective weight loss – he says “The best way is to have periods of time where you are not eating. In a word – FASTING. This can be for 16 hours, 20 hours, 24 hours, or even longer. Giving your body a period of low insulin breaks the resistance and results in weight loss”

Various other researchers also support that to be effective, in the case of daily intermittent fasting, the length of your fast must be at least 16 hours.
    You can restrict it even further — down to six, four, or even two hours if you want, but you can still reap many of these rewards by limiting your eating to an eight-hour window each day.
    This is because it takes about six to eight hours for your body to metabolize your glycogen stores; after that you start to shift to burning fat. However, if you are replenishing your glycogen by eating every eight hours (or sooner), you make it far more difficult for your body to use your fat stores as fuel.

As someone who has reached goal weight, I am continuing with this WOL for the key benefits to long term health as follows:-
    – Normalising your insulin and leptin sensitivity, which is key for optimal health
    – Improving biomarkers of disease
    – Normalising ghrelin levels, also k-nown as “the hunger hormone”
    – Reducing inflammation and lessening free radical damage
    – Lowering triglyceride levels
    – Preserving memory functioning and learning

And also because fasting 2 or 3 times a week, allows me to maintain my weight whilst still enjoying a glass or two of wine with dinner 3 times a week, having a slice of cake with my coffee a couple of times a week and any other treats I fancy!

“Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out”

@debster251 and @happymargo – I am with you both – I also have moved to only 2 meals a day on my NFD, usually a late brunch sometime after 1100hrs then a meal in the evening including a glass or two of wine and that with 2 x FD per week seems to keep my weight down and I hope gives me the long term health benefits of fasting.

Day 3 Portugal NFD
    Today was to be a FD but I JUST CAN’T DO IT. Still have visitors … I need my own routine. Will try again tomorrow.

Day 3 : Cheshire, UK : NFD

@erika45 Me too! Today was supposed to be a FD but I started fantasising about a cheese and mushroom omelette with hash browns so FD went out the window. I think it was because I was tired as today was my first day at work. Tomorrow is another day. I can feel I want to fast but my mind isn’t quite there yet.

Sweden. Day 3. FD. (First FD in 2017!)
    Well done all of you who have started their first fasting days of 2017!
    I’m so happy fasting felt so easy today! It gets easier every time.

My goals are not really about losing a certain amount of kilos or pounds, but to lose some belly fat, a few centimeters around my waste, and perhaps most importantly, get into good eating habits for the long run. I’m not overweight but my body stores its fat on my stomach and chest which is not good for you..

My plan is to have two fasting days a week during January, and then perhaps switch to either 6:1 or 16:8. I want to be able to make good choices, enjoy treats in moderation and not let the emotional eater in me take over. I also have IBS and I’ve discovered that both 5:2 fasting and 16:8 fasting really helps! 🙂

Those of you who go through fasting days eating nothing at all – I’m so impressed! Skipping breakfast is easy for me, but I absolutely hate going to bed hungry! My best foods during fasting days are green leaves, zucchini, blueberries, eggs (and egg whites..), fish, shellfish and vegetable soups. Would be interesting to hear how everyone else is using their 500 calories?

Day 2 – Auckland, NZ – NFD

Felt fabulous yesterday. Easiest FD yet.

@goldensun I think it helps if you have your mind firmly set on fasting the next day the night before, and plan ahead what you will be eating and drinking during the fast day. I try not to think so much about food on fasting days because that can really wake the hunger.. But if you were extra tired it was perhaps not a good day for fasting!

Day 3: Pacific NW USA, add me to the list of fasters on Tuesday around the world! For me it’s a liquid only FD including whole cream in coffee, water, tea and miso broth.

With all the previous quotes I thought I would add that there’s also much being written that backs up Dr’s Mosley and Fung’s advise for IF with LF/HF and how the food industry lead generations astray with so much misinformation.

For in-depth info Gary Taubes new book just came out, “The Case Agaunst Sugar”. Here’s a link to an article on the book http://www.wsj.com/articles/sugar-a-matter-of-life-and-death-1483054057 or the following excerpt on the reasons why all calories are not the same and in fact some cause more fat retention and cravings! At least if we are armed with this info we can make informed choices about what we put in our bodies.

“The Case Against Sugar” lays out the science to show that a sugar calorie is not like a spinach calorie but “triggers the progression to obesity, diabetes and the diseases that associate with them.” Here’s how. Sugar is a simple carbohydrate. Carbohydrates in your food are the source of glucose in your blood, and glucose powers your cells. Insulin is a hormone that transports glucose from your bloodstream into your cells and, as Mr. Taubes puts it, “signals the fat cells to take up fat and hold onto it.” Under normal conditions a cell has abundant receptors for insulin and has no problem processing the glucose. But if you consume high, constant volumes of maple syrup, corn syrup, agave, honey, raw or refined sugar, your pancreas responds by producing more insulin, and cells adapt by reducing their responsiveness to it. (The same thing can occur when you eat refined starches like white bread, white rice and potatoes; they are digested so rapidly they flood your bloodstream with glucose.)

What happens next? Basically, the cell stops listening to the insulin knocking at the door. This is insulin resistance. When the cell starts refusing to take glucose from the blood, glucose builds up in the bloodstream, causing the pancreas to make even more insulin, which (you will recall) tells the cells to hold onto your fat. It’s a feedback loop that causes obesity and culminates in Type 2 diabetes. The link between obesity and Type 2 diabetes is one of such interdependence that the term “diabesity” has been coined.

Hi Fuuvie, (not sure if this is how you want it to be sent) let me know if not.

Jan 1 and 2 (NFD)
    Jan 3 (FD) – day 3

I did a 24hr fast (yesterday dinner to today) had water, black coffee, green tea and 1 glass of Rocks squash throughout the day.
    Dinner: 150g rice, 100g prawn stir fry. Cup of tea with milk and a handful of dried cranberries – clocked up to 496 cal.

Will be on my 2nd FD tomorrow.

Good night from frosty Surrey. Zzz

hello all… I’ve just started on these forums and am so happy to find this support group. A bit of background —

I did my first FD on December 19th 2016. Great success! But then, like some of you, I had no luck trying to get a FD in, from December 23rd – Dec 27th. So December 28th I did a FD, but I … um… “forgot?” … that I was supposed to keep to only 500 calories for the evening meal, and I’m pretty sure I ate about 1500 instead. Oops. So that un-did the three pound (1.5 kg) loss I racked up on the morning of the 20th.

Anyway, then my third FD was Monday (yesterday, Jan. 2nd)). I’ve noticed a pattern to my hunger pangs and now I think I can tolerate them even better, because I expect them, and know with certainty that they won’t last.

And I also know now that I CAN do this.

So today is a NFD, and I’m nearing dinnertime and not feeling as hungry as you might think I would be. I wonder why?

I’ve discovered a few things about myself since starting the 5:2 “way of life”:
    first, I was intimidated and downright afraid to start three weeks ago. Like, a small feeling of panic, like I was going to have to have a court date or speak on the phone with a boss who wasn’t completely happy with me, or admit to a lie or something like that. Strange! It was scary to do something so different (and of course I’d heard so many decades about how low blood sugar was the beast from Sheol and should be avoided at all cost…). but it turned out It Wasn’t That Bad. Yay!

Tomorrow is scheduled to be my second fast day of the week, and instead of being intimidated/nervous, I’m actually kind of looking forward to it.

caveat; I still have two cups of coffee with milk in the morning. But then after that, nothing until 8 pm — we usually eat even later, but since I started this I’m trying to bring the evening dinner up a bit.

Anyway, I’m so happy to be here.

Coda: I updated my profile. 🙂 thanks for the nudge. I went and read a few of others’ profiles, and realized I wanted to reveal a bit more of myself.

Lisa Alma: I use my 500 calories on something extremely satisfying. Yesterday, about 8 pm, after fasting during the day, I had macaroni and cheese, which I adore, and a BIG serving of fresh steamed broccoli (that was after about 22 or 23 hours of fasting). Also, I usually have a glass of wine with dinner (my usual routine), but I’ve decided to lay off the wine on FDs too (which feels a little scary as well). so I had a cup of “Roastaroma” herbal tea, which I call the “cookie tea” because it has ground carob (vaguely like chocolate) and chicory and cinnamon and other things and tastes a bit like a … chocolate cookie. 🙂 I also had about 5 toasted almonds, crushed up a bit, sprinkled on a quarter cup of (non-fat) plain yogurt which was my “dessert.” Anyway, that’s what I do — I make sure that 500 calories are maximally enjoyable. I don’t try to keep it too stripped down. It helps me to sleep to have something high protein/moderate fat (like macaroni and cheese), rather than all steamed veggies or greens or whatev.

One of the things I learned on WW was to put my fork down between bites, really taste and savor my food, and eat as slowly as I can without looking a bit daft. I found that after eating that Mac and Cheese slowly, I feel more satisfied and finish at the same time as my husband (who ate roughly four times as much as I did, which is fine for him because he works out quite a bit and is on the thin side). 🙂

Second post.
    FD went fine. Didn’t quite manage a 36h liquid fast. Had 456 kcals for dinner – normandy brie, raw veg crudite and a handful of almonds (67% fat, 20% protein, 13% carbs according to MFP). So I guess that makes it a 20h liquid only fast.
    I’m planning to skip breakfast tomorrow and have a late lunch before hot yoga after work.
    Thank you my fellow fasters and everyone for the encouragement.

Anyone fancy joining me for a ‘pocket fast’ on Friday? – ie. starting from Thu evening until Saturday morning?

Night x

Third post – ALSO thank you for all the inspirational quotes and extracts from books. It’s great to be reminded of WHY we’re taking this journey.

@Ciren – same here, read the book but yet to put it into action,lol
    @b2tf – What you (or ‘the case against sugar’) say about the difference between spinach calories and sugar calories is spot on – I think this is something a lot of people don’t realise. Also it’s easy for us to forget in the face of a lovely piece of cake :-p

Day 4 – Perth, W.Aust – NFD

Okay, so survived my first FD, and felt pretty good about it. Only mild hunger pangs around 4ish, but a half a carrot sorted that till dinner. Planning ahead really helped, so I certainly agree with you @lisa.alma although I hadn’t told my son (who was cooking last night) I was on a FD, so had to do a quick adjustment for dinner. Still only 60 calories over and I had exercised yesterday, so figured the extra wouldn’t cause that much damage.

My starting weight was 77.1kg (170lbs) and I’m working toward 70kg (154lbs), although it’s really the centimetres and health benefits that I’m after. I know the numbers on the scale often don’t mean as much as we place on them, they’re a great guide, but it doesn’t give you a proper indication of how much fat v lean muscle mass and bone density you have. I think I will book in for DEXA scan at some point so I have a truer picture of what’s going on inside my body.

My weigh in today (Wednesdays are my official stats day) showed I was 75.1kg with a couple of centimetres off the waistline, but I won’t be sounding the trumpets just yet as I know my weight can fluctuate (and the waistline) by 2kgs each week normally, regardless of fasting, but it’s still good to see some numbers reduce.

Tomorrow is due to be my next FD, but I’m off to catch up with a friend for a few days, so not sure how practical that will be, might just have to do a bit of adjusting this week. There will be plenty of temptations and treats going on, and if it’s anything like you had @wellrounded, then I’ll be weak at the knees, yummo, marzipan 😀

4th Jan Day 4. NFD.
    Queensland.
    Start weight 83.1

Fast day yesterday was okay – did not eat at all – I think I found that easier, a shake (yuck but easy and quick at work) and a lovely coffee after work. Hunger only a problem in the morning. sure did have the headache though.
    Was easy to have a restrained breakfast this morning – not as hungry as a I though I may be.

Day 3 Cornwall UK

Hi Fuvvie – back into the fold! Sorry for late checkin but had to get my head in gear and ready to get back into 5.2.
    I was was rather low finding I’d put on 7lbs over christmas, I really didn’t think I could slide back so badly! But being home and having stocked up on healthy lchf food I’m ready to commit to January challenge!

Reading the first 4 pages of posts has really helped to motivate me, thankyou all! I’ll catch up with next posts tomorrow. You’ve certainly got your worm cut out Fuvvie keeping up with so many of us!! Thankyou for leading us once again!x

Starting Dr Moseleys Fass diet boo once again to refresh.
    FD tomorrow.

Wishing everyone a succesful and healthy 2017.

Still Day 3: Pacific NW USA, FD

Pissupoosa – I’ll join you for the pocketeers’ FD from Thurs PM till Sat AM = 36 hours. (“Pocket-fasters” were started by Ciren who kept a list of simultaneously fasting pals on a list in her pocket that she could refer to during the fast to give her moral support. We’ve continued her method with great success over the last couple of months.)

If you want to join copy/paste this list to your reply and add your name to the list:

@pissupoosa
    @back2thefuture

Day 4 Sunshine Coast Australia NFD: 106.9 kgs. Slowly but surely. Actually, not so slow at present, come to think of it. The Christmas glut is resolving day by day.

Welcome to Cboz at Bungendore (the place name is very familiar. Is it somewhere near Lismore or down in ACT? Must look it up. Think it is the latter.) and Debster251 (Melbourne is a beautiful city. I find all our capitol cities different from each other and all have their good points. But there is some truly beautiful country if one only has the time to see it.) and Walden410, SouthCroydenKate and Missymoomoo (middle east of where, please?) and WellRounded (I laughed out loud at your intended betrothed and really love the humour that comes through on this thread. Keep it up please).

Ratatouille, I am tracking and weight duly entered. I will try and post the spreadsheet on google if I can work it out again. On the link it will take you to, it will ask you to email me to give permission to look. Some people were interested last time. It is becoming quite a hefty document.

August2024, I am making the assumption that Vaderz is male due to the reference to a wife. But we all know where assumptions lead us. Enjoyed your intergalactic journey. Which reminds me, we went to see Rogue One as a family on Monday. Enjoyed it. Must really watch all the Star Wars movies at some stage. I have them but have never watched them.

What a great conclusion PamelaV. Good luck with that one LOL

Sheam, hope the leg pain is settling. Is it referred from your back?

AT, I loved your post and you have done my work for me so I will refer everyone to your quotes. I have been at this for more than two hours and need to finish but want to get to the end of the posts.

Really liked your explanation Laddie10. I enjoy the numbers but don’t like entering stuff in MFP regularly. Just now and then when I’m really curious about a calorie value. But could improve my NFDs by using it more often to increase what I am eating rather than being blindly fearful of going over TDEE.

Perfect Yirrakurl.

Day 3….Florida…..FD

Okay…. I’m so done with adulting today! 10 days of being lazy sure made it hard to wake my brain up at work. I actually had to stop and think rather then it being an automatic reaction. Non stop for 8 hours, what an experience!

Good thing… I have managed a solid FD! So far so good….. coffee x 3, 2 this morning and 1 after work. An apple for lunch… only because someone forgot to pack her lunch last night! I’m feeding the brat pack left over scalloped potatoes and ham…. this girl is going to have an egg on toast…. it just happens to be what I’m craving!

I’m doing a b2b tomorrow because Monday was a flop.

Pissaupoosa and back2thefuture……..put me in your pocket…. please

Quick thought for the new members…… Leg pain is the first sign of dehydration. please up your water intake…. First signs of pain drink 16 oz of cold water with a pinch of salt. This also works well with headaches!
    Speaking of headaches, overall unwellness and being cold, you will experience this the first possibly the second time you fast. it will go away. The grumbly gut, will also be put in its place or you’ll just get used to it grumbling. I myself have become accustomed to it and look for it to grumble. I ignore it for the most part but Until I get the hiccups, then I know I’m really hungry and I should eat something.
    I know, I’m rambling but I have a point….. The side effects will help you and remind you to listen to your body. Many times we run on auto pilot and listen to what our brain is telling us rather than what our muscles, gut and etc. are telling us. Example of this is our body says we’re thirst but our brain says we’re hungry.

Okay, well, my coffee cup is empty, I have the hiccups and well my boys have been here twice about dinner. I keep telling them Mom ran away but something tells me they don’t believe it…. So, I guess…. I’ll finish the day with being a good mom, and feed them!

One last thing! Fuvvie…. I like the quotes. I think about them to keep me strong!

Cheers!

Day 4 – Brisbane, Australia | NFD

Just checking in… nothing overly exciting today, other than slow internet, dog waking up about 4am and feeling a little tired.

Yes Fuvvie, I’m male, like Star Wars (have already seen Rogue One, you’ll love it)… and one of my sons is named Luke, so Vaderz seems like an apt name for online domination 😉

Enjoy reading all the posts – good to see everyone doing well. @17success I find that works well too – only calories I have during the day is a splash of milk in my coffee (…I might have 4 coffees, but even so), and then a cup of soup for dinner and maybe a slice of ham or something. I rarely go over 300-350 calories on my fast days, if I have more than that, I’m worried it will be harder to stop (and I cope ok with that).

Day 3 | NFD | Bucks UK

Checking in… not very well with cough and cold 😷

Day 4 – Tokyo Japan – NFD – 79.8 kg (up 1kg from end of fast)

My weight changes a lot throughout the week. However two months ago I was only in 80kg after a really hard workout and it would only last until I started drinking some water!

@laddie10 – I agree about the fiber. I know I need more of it. Right now I’m drinking my morning coffee with milled flaxseed in it. Black coffee hides the taste but not the texture. It makes the coffee pretty thick. But more fiber. I think I have a harder time with my bowel movements while fasting because I don’t have a enough fiber in my gut, so I’m trying to fix that.

While I know refined sugar is a problem for me, I have been increasing my whole fruit consumption without issues. I think that the fiber in fruit must make a big difference because fruit doesn’t seem to drive hunger like ice cream does for me. I love the ice cream deserts but now I’m aware of the price I’m paying. My children don’t seem to have the same problem, but they are almost always hungry so it is hard to be sure.

Day 4 – Brisbane, Australia- NFD

Got through my first fast day fine – as it’s the middle of summer here I am happy to have a couple of shakes a day and some veggies at night. Coffee helped. I had a lot of chores to do around home while I’m off work so that helped keep my mind off food yesterday. Not sure what a FD will be like when I’m back in a stressful workplace but I’m optimistic.

Fuvvie, I find the quotes really useful and inspiring. I’m a total noob to the whole 5:2 diet so these help me, thanks.

I have to get my arse moving with some exercise now – I hate it so that is actually harder than the fasting for me. Have a lovely day everyone.

3rd day nfd for me. Decided not to count calories but to continue with low carbs and no sugar since I had to lower my blood sugars because of type 2 diabetes. When I started throwing in calories to count I started getting scrambled brains and it was stressful. I will continue 5:2 but without stressing so much with the calories. Slow and steady.

USA, my first day, it was ok. I am trying to do LCHF at the same time, does anyone know if that’s a good idea?

Viewing 50 posts - 351 through 400 (of 2,440 total)

You must be logged in to reply.